Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 466 1998

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 466 1998

Canadian Rail
ISSN 0008·4875
THE HOCHELAGA CARBARN FIRE OF 1898 ………………………………………………………………………….. . FRED F. ANGUS ………………………….. ..
MURAL, MURAL ON THE WALL …………………………………………………………………………………………….. .
……………….. . FRED F. ANGUS ………………………….. ..
CANADIAN PACIFIC DONATES AN FPA·4 ……………………………………………………………………………… .. LEN THIBEAULT …………………………… .
……………………………………………………………. . WILLIAM BAILEy …………………………. ..
BOOK REViEWS …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… .
LEITERS TO THE EDITOR …………………………………………………………………………………………………….. .
THE BUSINESS CAR …………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. . 119
FRONT COVER: It is a summer day in Montreal in 1898, and we are at the corner of St. Catherine and Peel streets, looking eastward.
St. Catherine street was then still lined with trees, although most would be gone in afew years. In the distance are two street cars, one
of them, No. 472, only two years old, is approaching. Just two months later No. 472 was burned at the Hochelaga ca/barn.
Work on Montreal by WH. Carre, 1898.
BELOW: Hundreds
of children crowd on to a group of open trams on a rainy Monday, August 29, J 898, en route to a picnic, sponsored by the newspaper
La Presse, at Bout de I Isle park. Car 215, seen here, burned in the carbarnfire just two and a half weeks later.
La Presse, September 3, 1898.
your membership in the CRHA, which
includes a subscription
to Canadian Rail,
write to:
CRHA, 120
Rue St·Pierre, SI. Constant,
Que. J5A 2G9
Membership Dues for 1998:
In Canada: $36.00 (including all taxes)
United States: $31.00
in U.S. funds.
Other Countries: $52.00 Canadian funds.
Canadian Rail is continually in need of news, sto·
ries historical data, photos, maps and other mate·
rial. Please send all contributions to the editor: Fred
F. Angus, 3021 Trafalgar Ave. Montreal, P.Q: H3Y 1 H3.
No payment can be made for contributions, but the
contributer will
be given credit for material submit·
ted. Material will
be returned to the contributer if reo
quested. Remember Knowledge is of little value
unless it
is shared with others.
EDITOR: Fred F. Angus
CO·EDITOR: Douglas N.W. Smith
W. Bonin
F. Angus
PRINTING: Procel Printing
DISTRIBUTION: Joncas Postexperts
Inc .
The Hochelaga Carbarn Fire of 1898
By Fred F. Angus
Ever since the beginning of public urban transit, the dan­
ger of fire has been of great concern. The danger was espe­
cially great in the early days,
when wooden cars were stored in
wooden buildings, often adjacent to quantities
of hay, used to
feed the horses that pulled the cars.
When electricity took over
from horse power, the danger of inflanunable hay disappeared,
but it was replaced by the risks
of fire started by electrical over­
loads and short circuits.
The fact that these concerns were well
founded is seen when one looks
at the history of street car sys­
tems. There was scarcely a system
anywhere that did not, at
some time, suffer a loss of equipment from fire. Some of these
losses were small, others were major disasters, but all told, thou­
of street cars were destroyed by carbarn fires. In Canada,
worst such fires were the two that struck the King barn in
Toronto in 1912 and 1916 respectively, but
many other cities
suffered as well. Montreal had had a bad fire in
july 1896 when
the exhibition buildings
in Fletchers Field burned, along with
the carbarn
of the Montreal Park & Island Railway. The MP&I
lost more than half its rolling stock, as wei I as several cars which
had been rented from the Montreal
Street Railway. One of the
worst, and probably the worst
carbam fires of the nineteenth
century, occurred exactly 100 years ago
when the Hochelaga
carbarn in Montreal burned early in the
morning of September
16, 1898, and sixty nine cars were destroyed.
September 1898 things were going well for the Mon­
treal Street Railway. The electrification, begun six years be­
fore, had been completed in October 1894, and had proved to
be fully justified.
The number of passengers carried had more
than tripled, from 11,631,386 in 1892 to 35,353,036 in 1898.
In the
same period net earnings had increased more than seven­
fold, from $97,761.59
to $707,055.30. Many new lines had been
built, and
new rolling stock was being constructed in the com­
panys own shops. The addition of 60 new open cars in 1898
meant the final retirement
of the 75 former horsecars that had
been used as trailers behind electric cars (although some re­
mained in storage as late as 1900).
There were now 209 open
and 221 closed cars in service all
of them, for the first time,
motor cars. Early that month the last major obstacles
were removed to the construction
of the long-anticipated line
up Cote des Neiges road, and construction
was to begin in the
of the month. Thursday, September 15 was a typical
day for the street railway.
The weather was still warm enough
for open cars, although closed cars were also in use as well.
The busiest route was that on St. Catherine street, and it was,
along with other routes, served from the
Hochelaga barn in the
east end, the largest such facility in the city. As service wound
down for the day, the cars returned to their barns. For sixty-two
of the passenger cars it would be their last run.
From the very beginning of horsecar service, in 1861,
there had been a car shed at Hochelaga, in the
east end of the
city near Frontenac street. At that time this
marked the eastern
of Montreal, and also the street car system, so it was
logical that here would be the place for a
car depot. In the early
days the building was quite small, in fact as late as 1879 a
shows a fairly small building facing south towards Notre Dame
street. The facilities were expanded in the late horse car era,
most notably by a new building facing
west near St. Catherine street, built
in 1889. However the coming of electrification re­
sulted in much
greater expansion, so by 1898 Hochelaga was
the site
of a major barn, as well as the main shops of the com­
pany within which, since 1896, all of the companys passenger
cars had been built.
2:30 in the morning of September 16, 1898 an
of the MSR smelled smoke, and noticed a fire in the
twO-StOly brick carbarn that had been built in 1889. Immedi­
ately an alarm
was sounded and the firefighters were soon on
the job. However, due to the combustible nature of the build­
ing and its contents, as will as a brisk wind that was blowing, it
was soon obvious that the firemen were fighting a losing battle.
In the end they were
able to save other MSR buildings, as well
as the gas works across the street,
but the building where the
fire originated, as well as everything in it, was a total loss. So
quickly did the flames spread that there was not time to
any of the rolling stock, so 32 closed cars, 28 open cars and 7
sweepers were destroyed. Later, two more open cars were found
to be too badly damaged to be economically repaired, so the
final toll was 69 pieces
of equipment. The destroyed equiment
comprised a cross section of all of Montreals trams. No less
than twelve different lots
of closed cars, six of opens and two
of sweepers were involved, for a total of twenty types. In
fact all types were represented
except for some former horse
cars, a small lot
of Ottawa-built closed cars, and the 25 opens
of 1897 which escaped unscathed.
All the newspapers in Montreal reported the story,
some did much better than others. In general, coverage by the
French press was considerably better than the English.
ever the best coverage by far was in La Presse, which not only
had an excellent article,
but also a woodcut drawing, made by
an artist on the spot,
showing the ruined building. The entire
article, in
French as written, is reproduced here. However a
rough translation appears below:
The fire in the barns
and shops of the Street Railway
Company on Frontenac Street.
About $200,000 in damages
At 2:30 this morning a fire was reported in the barns
and shops
of the Street Railway company on Frontenac street.
In less than an hour these buildings, of considerable propor­
tions, were a mass
of flames. It was this building that housed
cars under construction as well
as those which were not needed
at night when the traffic did not require their
use. There were
fifty {sic] incomplete cars there at the time the fire broke out.
These were estimated as being worth $1000 each. Also there
was a number
of cars which were completely finished and had
been in use on their routes.
It is believed that the fire was caused
by an electric wire. In
afew moments it engulfed all. The com­
pany employees gave the alarm when they saw that the build­
ings were on fire. There were three consecutive alarms, and
soon the fire brigade was on the scene. The speed with which
the flames spread was such that, in spite
of the efforts of the
firemen, they were not able
to save anything and had to be
content with containing the fire
to prevent it from spreading.
EvelY thing was burned. The loss
is estimated at about $200,000.
Lo dClll.~trcux incelldio do ce mlltin, donI, 1M rlommn.gcs ,ellJvent iI. $200,000. Lo dOSllin ropr6!1ente Ja bAti8llo d08
!ramw;ys qui a eta d6truite.
The ruins of Hochelaga carbarn, looking east. Notice the large gas holder to the left; for a time it was feared that this might explode.
Notice also the partially-burned car on the left; this appears to be an 1897 closed
car, one of the newest on the system.
La Presse, September
16, 1898.
An enormous crowd assembled to see the grand and
terrible sight presented by the fire.
At one moment there was a
veritable panic when
it was thought that the buildings of the
gas company, near the site
of the fire, were going to explode.
Flaming pieces
of wood fell without ceasing on the roofs of
these buildings; happily, however, the roofs were fireproof, be­
ing covered with sheet metal.
At this point the anticipation of
catastrophe was seen when a number of persons living in the
vicinity left their houses and went further away, while others
were occupied
in moving their possessions to a more secure
place. When the firemen arrived everything was onfire, and it
was completely impossible
to save the building or to put out
the fire, but they were able
to save two other storehouses of the
Dr. O.R. de Cotret and D/: Lamoureux, doctors with the
fire brigade, were present to give help
to the injured in case of
accident. Happily their services were not needed. Our firemen,
under the command
of chief Benoit and assistant chief Dubois,
fought the fire bravely and merit all our praise.
The foundry and shops of the C.P.R. which are to the
of the burning building, were also greatly exposed to the
flames. Five times the roof
of the foundry caught fire and the
of companies No.1 and 2 of the Canadian Pacific ex­
tinguished them each time. Several
roof5 of houses on Marlboro
street were also ignited.
From the latest information received, there were 80 [this
is obviously a misprint for 60. Ed.] cars burned, consisting of
28 open cars and 32 closed. These cars are estimated at $2,500
Opposite Page:
Two of the the only three known photos of cars which were destroyed in the 1898fire. Both 196 and 388 were built by
the St Charles Pringle Omnibus
Co. of Belleville, Ontario, about 1893. Although bearing different paint schemes and riding on
different trucks, the cars
are, in fact, identical, being classified as Lot 2 by the MSR. These photos were taken on St. Catherine
street in 1894, on the same
day, and show the motor airs hauling trailers converted from horse cars. Number 196 already shows
roof sag, although it was only two years old! Of the fifteen cars in lot 2, Nos. 192, 194, 196,388 were destroyed.
All photos are from CRHA Archives, Binns Collection unless noted otherwise.
Le feu dans les ateliers et les remises
Environ $200,000 de dommages
A 2.30 heure, ce matin, un incendie sest declare
dans les ateliers
et les remises de la compagnie du chemin
de fer urbain, sur la rue Frontenac. En moins dune heure,
ces constructions aux proportions considerables netaient
plus quune masse de flammes. Cest dans ces batiments
que Ion gardait les chars
en voie de construction et ceux
on navait plus besoin Ie soir, lorseque Ie traffic ne
necessitait plus leur emploi.
II y avait la une cinquantaine
de chars non termines au moment ou Ie feu a eclate. On
les estime a environ $1,000 chacun. II y en avait aussi un
certain nombre de completement finis et qui avaient circule
la journee. On croit que Ie feu a ete mis par un fil
electrique. En quelques instants, il embraisait tout. Ce sont
les employes de la compagnie qui ont donne Ialarme,
aperc;:us les premiers que les batisses etaient en
feu. II y eut trois alarmes consecutives et bient6t tout la
brigade fut sur les lieux.
La rapidite avec laquelle les
flammes se repandirent fut telle que, malgre les efforts
des pompiers, ils ne purent rien sauver et ils durent se
de circonscrire Ie feu, empecher quil ne se
propage ailleurs. Tout a ete brule.
On estime les pertes a
environ $200,000.
Une foule enorme setait rassemblee pour
contempler Ie spectacle a la fois grandiose et terrible que
presentait Iincendie. A
un moment donne, il y eut une
veritable panique.
Les gens craiguirent que les trois batisses
de la compagnie du gaz, qui se trouvaient tout proche du
foyer de Iincendie, ne fissent explosion. En effet, des tisons
enflammes tombaient sans cesse sur
la toiture de ces
edifices. Heureusement celle-ci etait a Iepreuve
du feu,
etant couverte
en lames de fer. On nen a pas moins
redoute une castrophe a
tel point quun bon nombre de
personnes demeurant dans
la voisinage on quitle leur
to $3,000 each. The big barn burned is estimated at $15,000
and the motors, sweepers etc. at $25,000. The destruction
28 closed cars [this is probably meant to be open cars. Ed.] will
not seriously impede the companys service, as there are 20
new ones under construction, almost complete.
The losses are entirely covered by
the following insur­
ance companies: Commercial Union, London, England; Atlas
Co., London, England; Union Insurance Co., Lon­
don, England; British American Insurance
Co., Toronto; Cal­
edonian Insurance
Co., Edinburgh, Scotland; Norwich Union
Fire Insurance
Co., London, England; Royal Insurance Co.,
Liverpool, England; Scotland Union and Montreal Insurance
Co., London, England.
of the burned building will begin immedi­
ately. The building was built in 1889.
The ashes were not yet cool when a special meeting of
the directors of the MSR was called. The report of the manager
demeurre pour se retirer plus loin, tandis que dautres
soccupaient a transporter leurs meubles
en lieu plus sur.
Quand les pompiers sont arrives, tout etait
en feu, et illeur
a ete completement impossible de sauver la construction
ou setait declare Iincendie, mais ils on pu epargner deux
de la compagnie.
Le Dr. O.R. de Cotret et Ie Dr. Lamoureux, medecins
la brigade etaient presents pour donner leurs soins aux
en cas daccident. Heureusement, on nen a aucun
a enregistrer.
Nos pompiers, so us
Ie commandement du chef
et du sous-chef Dubois, ont lutte comme des braves
en cetle circonstance, et ils meritent to utes les felicitations.
La fonderie et les ateliers du C.P.R. qui se trouvaient
a Iest de
la batisse en feu, furent aussi fort exposes. Cinq
Ie feu a pris sur la couverture de la fonderie et les
pompiers des compagnies No.1
et 2 du Pacifique ont reussi
a Ieteindre chaque fois. Plusieurs toitures de maisons sur
la rue Marlboro furent aussi ignifees.
Dpres les dernieres informations
rec;:ues, il y a eu
80 [sic] chars brules, dont 28 chars ouverts et 32 fermes.
Ces chars sont estimes a $2,500
ou $3,000 chacun. La
grande remise brule est estimee a $15,000, les moteurs,
etc. a $25,000. La destruction des 28 chars
ne genera guere la compagnie pour donner son
service, attendu quil
ya actuellement 20 nouveaux presque
completement termines.
Les pertes sont entierement couvertes par les as­
surances suivantes: Commercial Union, Londres, Ang.; At­
las Insurance Co., Londres, Ang.; Union Insurance Co.,
Ang.; British American Insurance Co., Toronto;
Caledonian Insurance Co., Edimbourg, Ecosse; Norwich
Union Fire Insurance Co., Londres, Ang.; Royal Insurance
Co., Liverpool, Ang.; Scotland Union and Montreal Insur­
ance Co., Londres, Ang.
On va recommencer immediatement la construc­
du du batiment brule. Ce dernier avait ete construit en
La Presse, Ie 16 Septembre, 1898.
was short and
to the point: At 2:30 A.M. this day, fire broke
out at one
of the Companys car sheds at Hochelaga -cause
unknown -total loss
of Building Number 20 and a large quan­
of rolling stock contained therein, a statement of which is
being prepared. The most immediate consideration was to pro­
vide rush hour service for the morning
of September 16. By
judicious use
of undamaged equipment, and moving of some
rolling stock from other barns, this was done with little or no
inconvenience to the traveling public. However it was urgent
that two things be done -rebuild the destroyed building, and
replace the burned rolling stock.
The company had fire insur­
ance policies with no less than eight insurance companies, and
together they provided full coverage so work on these two ob­
jectives could begin almost immediately.
The first objective was
accomplished with a speed that causes one to marvel, 100 years
later. Work began almost immediately on a very large modern
carbam, which was sufficiently completed so
as to be placed in
service in January l899, only four months after the fire! The
The cars shown on these three page are representatives of
classes of which some were destroyed in the fire of 1898.
123 was of lot 3, built by St. Charles in 1893. Of
this lot, Nos. 9, 15, 19, 23, 145 and 149 were burned. Photo
taken about 1895.
263 belonged to lot 7, built by MSR in 1896. Sister
215, 223, 227, 233, 267 were destroyed. This photo
was taken at
St. Denis barn about 1910.
Right, BOTTOM: One
of the earliest groups of electric cars
was lot
4, ten cars built by Newburyport in 1892. Numbers
276 and
284 were burned in i 898, but 274 is still with us,
and was the first piece of railway rolling stock preserved by
the CRHA.
in is seen here on an excursion in June, 1957.
replacement rolling stock would take a bit longer since the com­
pany decided
to build all new equipment in its own Hochelaga
shops which, fortunately, appear
to have escaped damage.
There was, however, one urgent problem regarding roll­
ing stock. By mid-September the summer was almost over, and
within two months or less it was expected that the snow would
be falling.
The fire had destroyed seven sweepers, more than
of the entire fleet. There was just nol enough time to build
seven new sweepers before the snows moved in. Accordingly,
three new
off the shelf sweepers were bought from lG. Brill
in Philadelphia, while the MSR built four more in its own shops.
All were completed and
in service by the end of 1898, and
there were no undue problems with snow clearing that winter.
It was decided to replace both open and closed cars with
an equal number
of new units, and give them the same num­
bers as the destroyed ones.
Of course the new ones did not
resemble the old ones, but were the latest design, and all were
placed in service
in the first months of 1899 (a few may have
been completed late in 1898, the records are ambiguous here,
but for simplicity we will show them all as 1899).
The closed
cars were almost identical
to those built in 1897, but the opens
differed considerably from the 1898 type
in that only the right
side was open, the left side being closed except for the open
windows. In addition
to the replacement cars, the MSR built
many additional cars which were identical, and were completed
the same year. Another large lot
of almost identical rolling stock
NOTE: No cars of lots 1, 4, or 8
(open), nor lots
I, 10, 11, or 14
(closed) were destroyed
in 1898
(by the
way, lOl10 consisted of only
car, No. 350, The Rockel).
No decent photos have come
light showing members of lots 2,
5, or 6 (open), nor lots 3, 5, or 9
(closed). However
we do show rep­
resentatives of all other lots which
had members burned in the fire.
was built in 1900, before the construction of single-truck cars
was discontinued in favour
of double-truck types. In this arti­
cle we will only consider those cars, built
in 1899, which bore
the same numbers as those burned.
The Montreal Street Railway recovered very quickly
from its ordeal by fire. By the
summer of 1899 there was little
to remind one
of the disaster of September 16. Lines were ex­
tended, new cars were built and soon the system entered the
A car that survived a long time was 268, a member of lot 6,
built by Lariviere about 1892. Of this lot, 266, 370, 378 were
destroyed in
1898. 268 survived as a salt car until 1950. Photo
taken at Youville Shops
in 1948.
twentieth century, the first decade of which was the
most prosperous
of its entire history. Starting about
1905, older equipment
of the 1890s began to be re­
tired, and at the same time some
of the open cars were
rebuilt as conveI1ible (with removable sides) so they
could be used year-round. Soon some
of the single­
truck closed trams, including most
of those built in
1899, were rebuilt with longer platforms for the new
Pay-As-You-Enter system. However,
by 1913 the end
was near for single-truckers, especially the open ones,
and at that time the first
of the replacement cars of
1899 disappeared. With the wholesale retirement of
most of the single-truck passenger equipment after
World War I, the sight
of an 1899 car, especially an
open, became a rare sight. A few
of these old cars,
including one (No. 194)
of tbe replacement group,
had a new career
as a result of the Halifax Explosion
of 1917. With Halifax in urgent need of equipment to
replace that destroyed
in the explosion, several old cars
were bought from Montreal and sent
to Halifax where they
served until the arrival
of the Bimeys in the early 1920s.
of the old trams remaining in Montreal also fell
victim to fire when,
in 1920, a number of those in storage were
in a blaze at St. Henry bam. This loss was not nearlly
as serious as the fire of 1898 since the cars involved were re­
tired and would soon have been scrapped anyway.
Lot 8 was a group built by Crossen in Cobourg about 1893.
304, 306,
316, 356, 382 were burned. 354 became a salt car
and lasted until
1953. This photo was taken in 1948.
LEFT: Lot 7 was a group of 18 cars built by the To­
ronto Railway Co. about 1894. Numbers 400, 408,
412,426 were burned in 1898, but 404, shown here
at Hochelaga about 1903, lasted until
BELOW: This photo has often been reproduced but
its still good. It shows 440, a
member of lot 12
(Lariviere 1895) at Place dArmes just before the
Federal election
of 1896. it is one of the earliest pho­
tos to show a Montreal tram with vestibules.
Of lot
12, only
car 446 was burned in 1898. 440 was
in 1916.
1923, 1924 and 1925 saw the scrapping of most of the
1899 cars, and
by the end of the decade only one of the re­
placement passenger cars remained. This one, No. 284, has
an interesting story. In 1919 it became Montreals first one­
man car when it was converted for use on the very short run
Glen Road between St. Antoine and St. Catherine streets. It
thus antedated the Bimeys by five years, and was the begin-
ABOVE AND BELOW 466 and 552 belonged to lot 15 (MSR
1896) and lot
16 (MSR 1897) respectively. They were then Mon­
treals newest closed cars and the first with the Montreal
Of lot 15, only car 472 was burned in 1898. However
16 was not as fortunate, for Nos. 514, 566, 592, 596 per­
ished in the blaze.
466 is seen here almost as built, while
is pictured after it was rebuiltfor Pay-As-You-Enter in 1908.
552 was scrapped
in 1913, while 466 lasted until 1923.
ning of the end for two-man operation (although that end did
not come for another 39 years). Unfortunately there is no known
of 284 as a one-man car, although it does appear in a
view near Windsor station taken years earlier, in 1904. When
the Glen bus replaced this shuttle car in 1931, old 284 was
ABOVE AND LEFT: A rare comparison of the largest city
to operate in Montreal before 1900 as they appeared at
the beginning and end
of their careers. These were the four
of lot 13, built by Ottawa in 1895. Above, left we
have one of the few Ottawa Car Co. builders photos to sur­
vive, number
436 as built. Directly above we see 432 as it
appeared in 1948 as a salt car. Of this lot, 430 was destroyed
in the fire
of 1898.
of car 436: National Archives of Canada, Merrilees
No. PA-166485.
retired, and was scrapped in 1935, the last of the series. The
replacement sweepers had longer lives. The first
to go was
No.7 in 1925. Five more (2, 3, 4, 6, 9) went in 1929. However,
sweeper No. 12, built by the MSR in 1898, survived until 1950
when it was scrapped, the very last survivor
of the replace­
ment equipment.
The new Hochelaga carbarn had a long, useful life. For
many years it was the most important east-end barn, and served
many major routes. The name Montreal Tramways Co. re­
placed the former Montreal Street Railway above the doors
1911 but strangely the new name, which differed in length
from the old, was never centered but remained off-center until
it was taken off in 1952 after the company was taken over by
the city. The date 1898 remained prominently displayed un­
til the end, and the structure was little changed over the years.
In later times, a newer barn across the street supplemented the
older building, but the 1898 structure continued in active use.
in February 1956, with the abandonment of the St.
Catherine street line slated for the following September, the
old building was torn down to make way for the new Frontenac
bus terminal. Eventually this terminal too was abolished when
the Metro was built, and still later Hochelaga ceased being used
an operating division after more than 120 years.
Largely due to the experience
of 1898, the Montreal
system became very concerned about the danger
of fire, and
thereafter there was never a serious fire
in an operating bam.
The fire
of 1920, while serious, was in a storage shed, and
destroyed cars already written off. However the danger
of fire
is always present, both in operating systems, and with preserved
This was tragically emphasized in 1994 with the
disasterous fire at the Salem and Hillsborough Railway in New
Brunswick, when so much irreplaceable historic equipment was
lost. That fire also began in the early hours
of the morning, and,
ironically, the date was -September 16 It was, almost to the
minute, exactly 96 years since that time, now a century ago,
when the Hochelaga carbarn burned down.
CAR LOT BUILDER DATE 208 3 Crossen c1892
210 3 Crossen cl892
212 3 Crossen cl892
9 3 St. Charles 1893
238 9 Ottawa c1893
15 3 St. Charles 1893
248 9 Ottawa c1893
19 3 St. Charles 1893
266 6 Lariviere c1893
23 3 St. Charles 1893
276 4 Newburyport 1892
65 2 Lariviere 1893
284 4 Newburyport 1892
75 2 Lariviere 1893
296 5 Briggs 1892
81 2 Lariviere 1893
304 8 Crossen 1893
89 2 Lariviere 1893
306 8 Crossen 1893
91 2 Lariviere 1893
316 8 Crossen 1893
93 2 Lariviere 1893
356 8 Crossen 1893
101 2 Lariviere 1893
370 6 Lariviere cl893
107 2 Lariviere 1893
378 6 Lariviere cl893
115 2 Lariviere 1893
382 8 Crossen cl893
145 3 St. Charles 1894
388 2 St. Charles cl894
149 3 St. Charles 1894
400 7 Toronto c1894
173 5 Toronto 1895
408 7 Toronto c1894
185 5 Toronto 1895
412 7 Toronto c1894
Unknown cl895
426 7 Toronto c1894
201 ? Unknown c1895
430 13 Ottawa 1895
203 ? Unknown cl895
446 12 Lariviere 1895
205 ? Unknown c1895
472 15 M.S.R. 1896
215 7 M.S.R. 1896
514 16 M.S.R. 1897
223 7 M.S.R. 1896
542 16 M.S.R. 1897
227 7 M.S.R. 1896
566 16 M.S.R. 1897
233 7 M.S.R. 1896
592 16 M.S.R. 1897
267 7 M.S.R. 1896
596 16 M.S.R. 1897
283 6 Lariviere 1896
359 9 M.S.R. 1898
429 9 M.S.R. 1898 2 -Toronto 1892
471 9 M.S.R. 1898 3 -Toronto 1892
4 -Toronto 1892
6 -Toronto 1892
192 2 St. Charles cl892
7 -Toronto 1893
194 2 St. Charles cl892
9 -Toronto 1893
196 2 St. Charles cl892
12 -LaJiviere 1896
Note: The foregoing information
is from hand-written notes made by Mr. D.E. Blair in 1903, copies of which are in the Binns
collection at the Canadian Railway Museum. Since they were prepared five years after the fact, it is possible that there may be
some errors or omissions.
It is unlikely, however that any more data will be forthcoming after 100 years, so we will accept
these figures
as being complete. Lot numbers were officially assigned by the company at the time the equipment was ordered.
is duplication between lot numbers for open and closed cars, thus the lot must specify open or closed to be
complete. The assignment
of lot numbers was discontinued with the beginning of double-truck cars in 1900.
. .
~. __ ~·_ .. r_·~ …, _,_ –:,,.~,._ -::—____ :~
{ .
i· -.:
.~…. .. -.
. … –, …… _.–..:..——=—.
OPEN CARS (ALL M.S.R. 1899, LOT 10)
9 1924
15 1922
19 Cony. 1922
23 Cony. 1915
65 1922
75 Burned at St. Henry 1920
81 1924
89 Burned at St. Henry 1920
91 Cony. 1925
93 1925
101 Cony. 1925
107 Cony. 1924
115 Cony. 1922
145 Cony. To tool Car in 1914 1917
149 Cony. Burned at St. Henry 1920
173 1922
185 Cony. 1924
197 1924
201 1924
203 1922
205 Cony. 1924
215 Cony. 1924
223 1916
227 Burned at St. Henry 1920
233 1924
267 1925
283 Cony. 1925
359 1924
429 1922
471 Burned at St. Henry 1920 3
192 1917
194 To Halifax in 1918 c. 1923
196 1924
Note: Cony. indicates that car was rebuilt as a conyertible in 1904-1905.
OPPOSITE: Two MSR tickets printed in March,
1898, the type in use at the time
of the fire. They
were green, with advertising on
the back, and
came in strips
of 6 for 25 cents. Three of the six
were in English and three
in French. 15,000,000
were printed in this
lot, but only afew survive
of Fred Angus
RIGHT 417 represented Montreals newest
open cars
at the time, lot 9, built by MSR in
Of these 60 cars only three, 359, 429,
471, perished in the 1898 fire.
Photo at Ontario and Viau streets in 1907.
To one-man car in 1919 1935
Burned at St. Henry 1920
To farebox car in 1921 1936
Burned at St. Henry 1920
To tool car in 1925 1929
Built by Brill 1898 1929
Built by Brill 1898 1929
Built by Brill 1898 1929
Built by M.S.R. 1898 1929
Built by M.S.R. 1898 1925
Built by M.S.R. 1898 1929
Built by M.S.R. 1898 1950
Some Views of the Replacement cars of 1899
RIGHT The second-highest number of a
replacement car was
592. Here we see it
St. James Methodist church on St.
Catherine street when new in 1899 or 1900.
The clue
to the date is the old style fender
which was replaced by the basket ty
soon after the tum of the century.
On these two pages we show some photos of the trams that
were built by the MSR in
1899 to replace those burned in 1898.
All have the same numbers as the destroyed cars. Some of those
depicted are almost as built, while others are after modifica­
tions done over the years.
283 and 284 have consecutive num­
bers, but that
is only a coincidence. 283 (above,
is shown as a convertible with the sides
onfor use as a closed car. This was done to 75 of
the 1899-1900 opens in 1904 and 1905 in order
to get more use out
of them. Originally it looked
233, seen to the left. Number 284 (above,
left) is seen passing Windsor station
in 1904. Fif­
teen years later
it became Montreals first one­
man tram, and
it lasted until 1935. No photo is
known showing it in its one-man configuration.
LEFT· open cars
233 and 333 on Wellington
street in 1907.
233 is a replacement car of
1899, while 333 is an 1897 fully open car (lot 8),
all of which survived the fire of 1898
596, convertedfor Pay-As-You-Enter, on Ontario street in /912,
After the PAYE system was introduced
in 1905, many older cars
were converted, including almost all the closed cars built
1896, 1897 and 1899. This one was done in 1908.596 was the
highest number
of any replacement car.
472, also converted for PAYE, in Victoria Square about 1910,
The original
472 appears in the photo on the front cover.
LEFT A view of new
378 in 1903, in al­
most its original con­
dition. Other than a
change of fender
type, very little had
been altered since
1899. Most of these
were later rebuilt for
PAYE. Note: The light
is on the original
photo, and
is not the
of the printe!:
Open car 197
is shown here at Hochelaga in the spring of 1899, just after it was placed in service, This was a
new design
in which the left side was closed below the belt rail, /45 of these were built in 1899 and 1900, and 75
of these were later made convertible like 283 on the opposite page,
Photo from the Railway and Shipping World,
May, 1899.
.. -.:
RIGHT: Sweeper No.2 was built by Brill
in 1898 and was one
of three hurriedly pur­
chased that year to replace those burned.
All three served until
BELOW-Sweeper 6 was one of the four
built by the MSR
in 1898 to complete the
of the seven sweepers burned.
This one was retired in
1929, but a similar
No. 12, lasted until 1950.
Toronto-built sweeper 8 in action in an
early view taken
in 1893. Also visible is passen­
ger car
332, a crossen car of lot 8. Sweeper 8
was similar
to Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 which were
burned. No
8 lasted until 1925.
As we reach the end of
this article we are once again on St. Catherine
street as we were when
we started back in J 898,
this time at the corner
of St. Lawrence Main.
Once again
we see street cars approaching, and
of them (third car) is No. 472 as it was in
our opening picture (front cover). But its a dif­
472 now, and a different, and much larger
MSR. For
it is now 1909, more than a decade
after the Hochelaga fire which
is only a dis­
tant memory. The newest cars are big
ones, even bigger than three year old 9 J 8, seen
in the foreground. Even new
472 is getting old
and will soon be relegated
to rush-hour-only
service. The MSR
is at the peak of its prosper­
ity, BUT, if you look carefully in the distance
you will see the first foreshadowing
of doom;
the early automobiles, the new means oftrans­
portation that will eventually spell the end
the street cars. Private collection
By the spring
of 1899
Hochelaga carbarn had
passed its ordeal
by fire
and was intact again
with the most up-to-date
facilities. These two
rare views were taken in
April J 899 and show
both the exterior and in­
of the new barn.
Also visible is a large
of rolling stock.
The 1898
barn served well until
Mural, Mural on the Wall
In recent times there has been a considerable effort to decorate cities and towns across the country. Often this decoration takes
the form
of a mural on a vacant wall, perhaps overlooking a vacant lot where another building once stood. Many of these murals are
true works
of art in their own right, and take a great deal of effort to paint. Since they often deal with local history, quite a few of them
involve trains, especially
if the town was originally developed by the railway.
In this article are depicted a few murals depicting railway subjects, ranging from Nova Scotia to Manitoba. There are many
more across Canada, and we would like
to picture as many as possible. Any members having photos of such murals are invited to send
them in, as it is hoped that this will be an ongoing project
to record these works of art for posterity.
Truro, Nova Scotia, about 1950, showing CNR locomotive 6000 and the old intercolonial station which is now gone.
Amherst, Nova Scotia, showing the station (which
is still in use today) and various means of transportation including both CNR
steam and diesel locomotives, as well as the Chignecto Ship Railway, which was begun in the 1890s but never completed
McAdam, New Brunswick. A scene during World War 11, when so much traffic was being carried on the Short Line to Saint John.
Two murals, both on the same building, at Smths Falls, Ontario, showing considerable railway activity.
A Mural of George Pullman and his first sleeping Cal; at Cobourg, Ontario. The connection between Cobourg and Mr. Pullman has
not been determined, but that city was the site
of the large Crossen car building plant. See page 124 for a Crossen-built street Cal:
LEFT: A mural in Belleville, Ontario, showing the newspa­
pers which reported the last train on Pinnacle Street. The oc­
casion, in June 1964, was commemorated by a railway festival
which starred CNR steam locomotive 6167.
MIDDLE: This mural, at
St. Thomas, Ontario, shows the huge
Canada Southern station in that city
in its days of glory.
Up north, in Cochrane, Ontario, we see locomo­
tive 137
of the T &NO, now Ontario Northland. This locomo­
is displayed as part of a museum train only a few blocks
away from yhis picture.
OPPOSITE, TOP (TWO PICTURES): Both these murals are
at White River, Ontari
o. Thejirst shows the CPR station in both
the steam and diesel era, while the second
is a scene at White
River station during World
War l. The soldier in the picture
had just purchased a bear cub at White River, and he named
Winnie for his home town of Winnipeg. He later took the
to England where it became the inspiration for A. A. Milnes
famous character Winnie
the Pooh.
OPPOSITE, BOTTOM (TWO PiCTURES): Both these murals
are on the approach
to an underpass in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
One shows the
locomotive Countessof Dufferin which was
the first locomotive
in Manitoba (1877). The other is the 1882
locomotive used on the famous excursion train the Prai­
rie Dog Central.
Street Car Tickets That Went Down With The Titanic
(and Came Up Again)
By Fred Angus
Collectors of old tickets and other ephemera are used to
finding them in strange places. Although they often are found
in an old trunk, or perhaps a cookie jar, they sometimes turn up
in odd locations. One
of the strangest places yet where Toronto
street car tickets have been found is in the wreck
of the Titanic
at the bottom of the ocean!
Major Arthur Peuchen (1859-1929)
of Toronto was the
of Standard Chemical Company, founded in 1897.
He had a house at 599 Jarvis street, and a country estate called
Woodlands on Lake Simcoe. He frequently crossed the ocean
both on business and
in connection with his activities in the
Canadian Militia. In fact
in 1911 he had been chosen to ride as
a marshal in the parade for the Coronation of George V. In the
of 1912 it was business that took him to Europe, where
he remained for a month. In April it was time to return horne
and he decided that it would be an interesting experience to
cross on the maiden voyage
of the new White Star liner Titanic.
Among his fellow passengers was Charles M. Hays, the presi­
of the Grand Trunk, and his family. Mr. Hays was return­
ing to Canada where he planned
to officiate at the grand open­
of the Chateau Laurier hotel in Ottawa on April 26.
I am sure that everyone knows what happened next, so
there is no need
to go into details. Suffice it to say that the
Titanic struck an iceberg and sank with a loss of more than
1500 lives, including Mr. Hays. After the collision, Major
Peuchen showed the ice
to Mr. Hays and remarked that the
ship was starting
to list, a bad sign. Hays did not seem con­
cerned but,
as we all know, Peuchen was right. Since Peuchen
an amateur yachtsman, he volunteered to help with the
of the lifeboats, and his offer was accepted. Paying a
last visit to his cabin, No. 104 on
C deck, he gathered up a
few items but left behind $200,000 in bonds, $17,000 in stock
and, presumably, his wallet. When lifeboat No.6 was launched, barely one-third full,
there was a shortage
of crew to man it so Major Peuchen, with
his nautical experience, was ordered
to get in it and row. Coin­
cidentally, this was the same boat in which was the famous
Unsinkable Molly Brown
of Denver, Colorado. At some time
during the momentous events
of the night, Major Peuchen lost
his wallet. However, he himself survived the disaster, being
picked up by the
Carpathia, and eventually he returned to To­
ronto. For a time he was criticized by some simply because he
survived when so many other men died, but
in time it was real­
ized that his serving on boat No.6 helped in the survival
those on board. In 1914 he retired from Standard chemical, and
he died in Toronto in 1929 at the age
of 70.
In September 1985, the wreck
of the Titanic was dis­
covered at the bottom
of the ocean, more than two miles down.
Two years later a number
of artifacts were salvaged from the
debris field near the ship and brought
to the sUiface. Among
the items recovered was a wallet, surprisingly well preserved.
After cleaning, conservation and preservation, it was found,
from cards and papers contained therein, to be that
of Major
Peuchen. Among the various things
in the wallet were three
Toronto street car tickets. These were
of the standard type then
being issued by the old Toronto Railway, printed on blue card­
board with a picture
of an early Toronto electric car, and the
of William McKenzie, the president of the company.
The name Toronto was overprinted in red. The ticket illustrated
is of exactly the same type, but is not one of those recov­
ered from the
Titanic! However, at an exhibition of Titanic rel­
ics at Memphis Tenn. in 1997 the actual tickets were exhibited.
So we see that three Toronto street car tickets went down
with the
Titanic and, 75 years later, came up again. Tickets of
this type are quite common but, as relics of the Titanic, these
ones are priceless.
Canadian Pacific Donates an FPA-4
By Len Thibeault
This well-deserved retirement did
not however go unnotice
d. The FPA-
4 would prove itself quite popular on
the used locomotive market; a good
of them would see additional
service with our American neigh­
s. From the Napa Valley Wine
Train, Grand Canyon Railway to the
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad,
their lives were not over.
In total, 17
cab and 4 booster units have migrated
of the border.
6765 in service. Photographer and date unknown.
#6765 however would suffer an
interesting twist of fate. She and four
other similar MLW cab units along
with 3 B-units, were sold to the Wind­
sor and Hantsport
(WHRC) in Nova
Scotia with the intent
to be used in
gypsum-hauling service on the former
Dominion Atlantic. Ill-equipped for
freight service; #s 6761, 6765, 6783
& B-unit #6861 would
be traded for
On Friday May 29th 1998
an example of Canadas most
recognized icon
of streamlined diesel power, FPA-4 #6765,
rolled into the Canadian Railway Museums property and be­
came the only such unit to be preserved in her native country.
by Montreal Locomotive Works between 1958 and
1959; #6765 (Builder date: 12112/1958) and her thirty-three
sisters were a Canadian only model developed out
of the 244-
FPA/FA lines previously purchased by both CN and
CP. Mechanically identical to their freight cousins the RS 18,
the FPA-4 model was only purchased by Canadian National
and was destined to handle most passenger assignments east
Winnipeg. As the CN/CP pool train era came to a close on
October 31st 1965, CN embarked on a passenger train revitali­
salion program (the Delagrave era which introduced Red, White
& Blue fares) and decided to put the majority
of these speed­
sters in Rapido service in the Windsor-Quebec corridor being
the only CN diesels to be geared for 92 mph.
The year 1976 came along and with it, a new era in
passenger service would take place in Canada. VIA Rail, a
new crown agency, would splash the units in its blue and yel­
low paint scheme and keep these veterans in both corridor and
eastern Canada long-distance service. Anxious
to replace them,
VIA would place an order for thirty-two
LRC units from the
same builder who had built the FPA-4 some twenty years ear­
lier. But
if the FPAAs were simplicity personified; the LRC
locomotives were not. They experienced a rash
of mechanical
problems, which to this day, continue
to plague most of them.
And so, the MLW cab units would continue to assume
their role until April 1st 1989; when a federal law requiring all
leading locomotives to be equipped with the RSC safety con­
came into effect. For economic reasons, VIA Rail would
not install the device on these units, preferring instead
to fmally
retire them. an equal number
of RS-23 end-cab
to CP Rail, destined to be used as part sources for the
18 fleet.
6765 with ONR 1400 at the Canadian Railway Museum on
9,1998. Photo by FredAngus
But as the old CP MLW fleet was being retired, ample
parts for the remaining operating horses were now available;
thus the FPA4s ended up spending most
of their days languish­
in a dead line at StL&Hs St-Luc Yard. Of the four remain­
ing units, #s 6761 & 6783 would go to the New Brunswick
East Coast for parts source and scrapping and #6861
is sched­
to go to the Wainright Ry. Museum in Alberta.
The C.R.H.A. would like to thank those who made this
important donation possible
or contributed towards it: Cana­
dian Pacific Ry./St-Lawrence & Hudson, Gulio
Charles Dejean and Alan Blackburn.
For those wishing to read additional material on these
historic locomotives; please see the following back issues
Canadian Rail: Issue # 280 of May 1975, article written by B.
Biglow and
1.1. Shaughnessy and Issue # 192 of October 1967,
article by M.W. Dean &
w.G. Blevins.
Vancouver Heritage Trolley Line Opens
By William Bailey
In Canadian Rail No. 460, September-October 1997, we published an article, by Peter Murphy, called The Rebirth of 1231.
This was about the rebuilding
of a former B.C. Electric interurban car for use on the proposed heritage trolley line in Vancouver. To
bring the story up to date, we are happy to report that, on July 29, 1998, the line officially opened. As Bill Bailey said It was a great
event. He has sent these photos
of the event. It is in order here to mention that Mr. Bailey has been given the CRHA Preservation
award for 1997 for his work
in the restoration of the B.C. Electric interurban cars.
LEFT AND BELOW Some of the festivities
at the opening
of the heritage trolley line.
1207 was built
in the B.C. Electrics own
in 1905.
LEFT The car barn which houses the operating
RIGHT Inside car 1207 on
the opening
LEFT A cake, in the form of a flat ver­
sion of 1207, was served as part of the
BELOW A view of the right of way, show­
ing the beautiful condition
of track and
overhead. This is what the
B. C. Electric
looked like when it was new!
Book Reviews
By Jacques Pharand
Published by Les Editions de LHomme
955 Rue Amherst
Montreal P.Q. H2L 3K4
Price $29.95
We have had this book for some months, but decided to
include this
review in this issue which contains a major article
dealing with
Montreal street cars. This 288 page book, written in
French, is a nostalgic history of the street car era in Montreal
from 1861 to 1959. While the majority of the book deals with the
period of electric traction (1892-1959) there is a 14 page chapter
concerning the horse car system which flourished for more than
thirty years.
There is also some account of the Metro and the
suburban commuter lines, even including the new electric multi­
ple-unit cars of 1995. Despite the fact that your editor has been
involved in publications on this subject, I feel that this is the best
overall history ofthe Montreal tramways system to appear to date.
The story starts even before the street railway, with the
and Lachine Railway of 1847, and its connecting omni­
bus. Then it continues with the first serious plans for a street rail­
way, in 1859,
which plans were successful on November 27, 1861,
when the first
horse car line opened. The history of the City Pas­
senger Railway and its successor the Montreal Street Railway
(MSR) is covered including information of extensions to routes,
new lines and additional equipment and finally, about 1890, the
concrete proposals for the use of electric power. By 1892
electrification was a reality, and the period of great expansion
began -this continued for more than twenty years. Also covered
are such companies as the Park & Island and the Terminal Rail­
which eventually joined the city system, and the Montreal &
Southern Counties which did not. Under the unified management
of the Tramways company (1911 to 1951) the system reached its
maximum extent and then began a slow decline as automobiles
and busses (statted in 1919) took more and more passengers from
the tram cars. The war years saw unprecedented traffic, then, af­
ter municipal
ownership began in 1951, the street car lines were
converted to bus, and the last run was made on August 30, 1959.
Other than the basic history, the book also contains sto­
and anecdotes about the tramways which give a sense of char­
acter to the
system. There is also sufficient information about the
structure of the various companies to put the whole thing
in proper perspective; it is not just about tracks and rolling stock.
Some of the histories of individual routes are illustrated with sche­
matic maps which makes it easier to follow. The photographs are
an extremely important part of the book. There are hundreds of
them; some are well known while others are completely new to
your reviewer (and Ive seen plenty of pictures of Montreal street
Some of the more interesting concern mishaps. We have all
seen the view of car 1575 after the collision of October 31, 1921,
but how about the one of 772 on its side in January 1927, or 2867
with the water up to its floor boards in 1938? A few of the photo
credits are wrong (I noticed two or three of my own photos erro­
neously credited),
but this is to be expected when photos come
from so many sources. Also very important are the photos of tick­
and transfers. Most of these are in full colour and of good
quality, and they range in age from the 1890s to the 1960s (yes,
the 1960s, since it also includes the
early days of the Metro.
It would certainly
be desirable if an English version could
be produced as then this book would reach a much wider market
among traction enthusiasts. It is rumoured that such a project is
being planned. However, even those readers who do not know
much French will enjoy the photos and the maps and will pick up
enough of the text to get a good feel for the Montreal street car
system, the biggest in Canada. F.A.
By Henry Ewert
Published by Sono Nis Press
1745 Blanshard
Victoria, B.C. V8W 2J8
Although this 168 page book was published in 1992, it is
still the definitive history
of one of Canadas earliest electric rail­
ways, that
of British Columbias capital city. Construction began
in 1889, and the first lines opened on February 22,1890. Although
a horse railway had been contemplated originally, the Victoria
street cars
were electric from the start, and remained such until
last run in 1948.
This book gives the whole story from the very first plans
of the 1880s to the final surrender of the trolleys under the on­
slaught of automobiles and busses. From the National Electric
Tramway and Lighting company of 1890 we follow the system
from its small beginnings, through the terrible disaster at the Point
Ellice bridge in 1896, and the reorganization under the British
Columbia Electric Railway Company the following year. Under
B.C. Electric, we follow the story through its greatest years, in­
cluding the shOtt-lived Saanich interurban line, then on through
war years and eventual decline. There are many photos, in­
cluding a surprisingly large number of very early views. We also
find maps, car plans and a detailed roster of equipment. Also pic­
tured are tickets, timetables
and other ephemera which round out
the story. In view of the recent opening of the heritage trolley line
in British
Columbia, it is a good time to read more about the B.C.
Electric. F.A.
Letters to the Editor
Mr. John Fleischmann, P.O. Box 221, Smithville Ontario,
LOR 2AO writes (4 July 1998):
Rail, Jan.-Feb. 1998)
This article was
of particular interest to me for several
reasons since both St. 10hns (St-Jean-sur-Richelieu) and
Iberville were my home towns between 1952 and
I. In the school year 1952-53 a number
of my friends
commuted on the CNR from St. Johns to St. Lambert
to attend
school. Another group including myself conunuted on the CPR
to attend schools in Montreal West and Montreal. With both
lines double tracked, it was quite a set
of diamonds where they
crossed. Our morning train was the overnight from Boston while
the CN train was the overnight from New York. When the two
approached the diamond, ours always took precedence
to cross
the diamonds.
2. A few years later, to attend Bishops University in
Lennoxville, I frequently used the direct route on
CP, often on
a set
of Budd RDCs. Standing on the rear vestibule, I could see
the speedometer read
in excess of 90 mph on straight track. A
few years later, CP must have disconnected the rear speedom­
to avoid being seen how fast their RDCs travelled.
3. The following is the most important point of my let­
ter. Im assuming Lorne Perry never experienced travelling the
stretch between Iberville and Farnham on CVR track. Neither
1. However, such a track must have existed for, in the fifties,
the road bed
of an abandoned line was clearly visible with the
rails long gone. From the east side
of the Richelieu River in
Iberville, about a mile apart from each other, both CPR and
CVR headed straight
to converge at the yard In Farnham. West
of the yard at Farnham, I remember a side road crossing CPs
double track, and perhaps less than 100 feet south, again cross­
ing the roadbed
of the abandoned CVR. Although I dont pres­
ently have a topographical map
of the region, I believe having
seen the two lines between Iberville and Farnham on an old
map. The question now is: was number 606 orginally a train
running entirely on CN and CV track without having
to run on
foreign CP track and without having to run backwards on the
Lemoyne subdivision?
4. Was the Lemoyne subdivision formerly not more than
the tiny piece
of track? Was Iberville a CVR junction with
lines radiating north to
CPo east to Farhnam and south to
Mr. David Phillips, Senior Climatologist, Envi.ronment Canada,
4905 Dufferin Street, Downsview, Ontario, M3H 5T4 writes
(July 17,1998):
I am currently compiling stories and anecdotes
of sig­
nificant weather and climate events that occurred
in Canada
from 1750 to 1980. In this effort, my research assistant and I
have been examining a variety
of historical resources includ­
ing newspapers, monographs, journals, registers and logbooks
for mention
of weather events. Our focus has been severe or
unusual weather occurrences such as cyclone
s, severe storms,
blizzards, drought, flooding, cold and warm spells, etc. In par­
ticular, we are fascinated by the impacts that severe and unu­
sual weather have had on people and property and how the
of weather extremes on society has changed over the
We are convinced that the work done
by individuals
associated with various local and regional historical societies
an invaluable source of information for our research.
To tap into this effort, we are contacting
several historical asso­
ciations and organizations to learn what references they may
have about significant weather occurrences in and around their
community. For example the mention
of significant weather
happenings documented in your societys publications, jour­
nals or local newspapers would be extremely valuable to us.
If you are familiar with any stories, anecdotes or refer­
ences, we would be delighted
to hear from you. Please do not
go into any lengthy effort on our behalf, only flag material that
is readily available. All material contributed can be returned
upon your request. Please be assured that all sources will be
properly credited. Your contribution may
be mailed to the ad­
dress above or faxed
to us at (416)-739-4380. If you require
any additional information, please feel free to contact my as­
sistant, Lisa Wiley at (416) 739-4180.
Mr. David
Hardman, 94 Regent Street, London, Ontario,
N6A 2G4 write
I am looking for plans and photos of the Iron Ore Co. of
Canadas electric locomotives (London G.M. factory where they
were built didnt have manpower to help me) and the Hudson
Bay mining and Smelting Companys No. 93 steeple cab elec­
tric loco, preferably showing it also in its original owners liv­
ery (Panama Canal)
as well as HBM livery.
I am also looking for photos
of Mexican U.S.R.A. light
2-8-2 locos and S.P.
of M.s M4 class 2-6-0 locos (M4 was the
S.P. class). Also looking for photos
of Stelco (Hamilton) No.
6335 and 6336 plant locomotives, preferably
as battery or gas
Can any member help any
of these gentlemen?
Ray Corley points out the following corrections to the
article on the LRC locomotives in the July-August issue:
Page 92, line
2: G771A should be GTA-17PA1.
Same line: 4-752E8 should be 4-752PC6.
Page 92, lines 20 and 21: Delete
some sources state 3725 hp
Page 92 last line: read reduced by one locomotive and re-is­
sued as M9109. Only
11 LRCs were shipped in 1981 and 10 in
Page 93, line
3: After LRC-2 add Same engine used but
rated at only 3725 hp.
Page 93, line
16: After 6921-6930 add order M-6125.
The Busilless Car
What would have seemed like a dream a few years ago
is coming true, the Canadian Pacific Railway has re-acquired
steam locomotive 2816 and is going to have it restored to oper­
ating condition!
Built by Montreal Locomotive Works in December 1930
(construction number 68535) No. 2816
was an unstreamlined
son, and was one of the last locomotives built for the CPR
the Depression brought a temporary halt to new con­
struction. Retired from service in 1960, this locomotive
reactivated early in 1961 to provide steam for the Glen Yard
the stationary boilers there were being rebuilt. It trav­
to and from the Glen on its own power and thus may have
been the last steam 10comoti ve to run in the service of the CPR.
In 1964, the 2816 went to Steamtown U.S.A. which was
then in Bellows Falls Vermont. When Steam town moved to
Scranton, Pennsylvania, 2816 went too, and has remained there
until this summer when
it returned to Canada. The above photo
was taken by Fred Angus at Scranton on july 7,1998.
As we go to press, 2816 is west of Winnipeg heading
for Vancouver where
it will be restored to operating condition.
CPR intends to use it on a Millenium Train which is planned
to run throughout the system in 1999 and 2000.
CPR 2816 is not the only steam locomotive that is go­
to be restored to working order. South of the border, a movie
is paying $2 million (U.S.) to restore one of the the
largest steam locomotives ever built, Union Pacific Big Boy
No. 4018, which has been in a museum in Dallas Texas for 33
years. Our member Mike Riedel, who lives near Dallas, sends
this excellent article from the Dallas Morning news of August
14, 1998. Due to its interest to aU enthusiasts of the steam loco­
we reprint it in fuJI:
By Jacquielynn Floyd, of The Dallas morning News
Longer than two mobile homes, heavier than 300
pickups and comatose for the last 33 years, Big Boy lum­
bered to life Thursday [August 13, 1998] with astonishing
ease. For a few magic minutes, the 56-year-old Union Pa­
cific antique was the mightiest steam
locomotive rolling the
rails. And to an adoring crowd that watched with the awe
an Apollo liftoff, It mattered not one whit that Big Boy
was hitched to a proletarian yellow diesel and rolled up and
down the same stretch of track.
It was history, awakened
from the dead. Its so awesome murmured one bystander,
as dazed as if an office building had uncoupled from its
neighbor and rumbled down Commerce Street.
Big Boy is the 600-ton, cast-iron crown jewel
in the
Age of Steam Railroad Museums collection at Fair Park.
Since 1965, the gargantuan
locomotive has been a popular
static display -you can look at
it, but it doesnt do anything
-but Thursdays short trip was the first leg of its journey back
to working order. When its $2 million, six-month overhaul is
finished, it will be the worlds biggest operating steam loco­
motive. It also will be a movie star. Part of the restoration is
being underwritten by an independent, Dallas-based film
company that plans to use the
locomotive in a feature movie
to be shot in North Texas. It didnt even groan. said an ex­
ultant Bob LaPrette, the museums
executive director, after
locomotives eagerly anticipated trial run to loosen up its
long-dormant mechanism. Thats
very good news for the
restoration. The museum has taken really good care of it.
No one would characterize the iron leviathan as frag­
ile or delicate, but the
locomotive is irreplaceable. Built in
1942 to haul freight trains over the Wasach Mountains on
the daunting Cheyenne-to-Ogden run, there were only 25
locomotives produced in the Union Pacific 4018 series, in­
formally called the Big Boy by railroad wonks [sic] around
the world. Eight of them
survive in displays around the coun­
try, but Dallas Big Boy is in the best condition by far – a
testament not only
to its care but to the local climate, be­
nevolent at least to large iron objects. To see an engine in
this condition that has been sitting for 30 years is pretty
amazing, said Gary Bensman,
an Osceola, Wis., expert in
train restoration who will [8build Big Boy. The job will require
an acre of floor space to layout the 30,000 engine parts Mr.
Bensman will have to dismantle.
Movie producer Danny Bishop of McKinney, who
teaches film at Southern Methodist University, has had Big
on the brain for months, working on a script that will
feature the engine when its restoration is finished. His com­
pany, High Ball Productions, will make his film about work­
ers who accept a railroad magnates challenge to run the old
locomotive from Texas to Canada. [yes, there is some Ca­
nadian content
in this article]. During a little ceremony be-
fore the locomotive rolled, Mr. Bishop, dressed like his crew
in railroad-man overalls, choked up a little on a speech in
which he talked about Big Boy as though it were his brother.
They expected him
to travel up the Rockies at 40 miles per
hour, he said. He travelled
up the Rockies at 80 miles per
hour. When the war came,
he took soldiers. In peacetime,
he took oranges for Christmas. Prom dresses. Its wheels
are taller than most people, and
it dwarfs its neighbouring
exhibits, but theres a nostalgic familiarity about the Big
Its shape, if not its size, is instantly recognizable to any child
who ever owned a Little Golden Book copy of The Little En­
gine That Could. And
it was poetry in motion to the 150 or so
train-crazed onlookers
in an audience tht was almost exclu­
sively male and included a noticeably large number of engi­
neers, draftsmen and others of technological bent. They
crowded along a fence enclosing the little rail yard, fingers
hooked through the chain links like kids at a ballpark. In­
credible, murmured one 50-something man
in Cole Haan
shoes and Polo shirt, expertly focusing a Nikon. Its tremen­
dous just
to see all those parts working together, rhapso­
dized the scientifically named Newton Beam, a retired me­
chanical engineer. This just doesnt happen every day.
in the crowd happily paid an enterprising huck­
ster $3 for plastic button that crowed
I saw 4018 Big Boy
Move! -souvenirs certain
to inspire envy in anyone who
recognizes the reference. One man hoisted his camcorder
over his head to avoid fence links
in his video; Roger Meier,
an electrical engineer and not the Cadillac man, brought a
stepladder from home
to shoot unobstructed photos. Soft­
ware analyst Noel Presley (like Elvis
he patiently confirmed),
suggested that steam locomotives have organic qualities that
humans would do well to emulate. They have a very open
personality, he said. Everything that makes
it work, you can
watch happen. This
Is beauty.
Another Canadian locomotive in the United States is
former CNR No. 1551 on the Ohio Central. This 4-6-0 was
built by Montreal Locomotive Works (construction number
50778) in
April 1912, as Canadian Northern No. 1354. Under
Canadian National
it kept that number, but in October 1956 it
was renumbered 1551 to avoid numerical conflict with the new
diesels. Retired in
1960, it was sold to the Edaville Railroad in
1961 and later came to Ohio. The Ohio Central runs
regular excursions, often using
1551, at Sugarcreek. Sadly, they
have announced that, due to increased freight traffic, 1998 will
be their last year of regular trips. However 1551 will be re­
tained and will be used on occasional special excursions.
Because 1551 was built in the month the Titanic sank,
the story is told that this was one of the last engines ordered by
the president of Canadian National [sic] but he never lived to
see it as he went down on the Titanic. Unfortunately for the
story, it was the president of the Grand Trunk that went down,
and the engine was ordered by the rival Canadian Northern!
The following story was retrieved from the Internet on
August 15, 1998. This actually happened, although it sounds
more like a plot from an old Keystone Kops movie. The ac­
count is reprinted word for word, and sounds quite funny, ex­
cept for
the police, and the passengers on the train:
On Friday afternoon, an Ottawa-Carleton Police
cruiser was turned into instant scrap metal by a Via Rail
train out of Montreal headed for Ottawa.
It seems that the
Ottawa cops were chasing a car which veered onto a double
track right-of-way east of Ottawa and the cops followed
Hot Pursuit. When the suspect car got jammed in the rails,
the occupants abandoned the car and fled
on foot followed
by the cops who radioed VIA to stop the trains. Unfortunately,
a VIA passenger came on the scene within minutes and
creamed both cars. The cops were quoted as saying, they
were sure the VIA Train would stop when the engineer saw
the cars on the tracks. (HeeHee). Both the cop and
RR scan­
ner conversations were very colourful.
There are unconfirmed reports that the Ottawa Po­
lice pursuit manual
is being rewritten this weekend to in­
clude the following item:
1. Dont park the cruiser on railway
tracks under any circumstances. Just because your red flash­
ing lights are
on doesnt mean the damned train is going to
stop. Incidentally, the Ottawa bound Via passengers were
in the train for a couple of hours while machine
gun bearing cops hunted for the fleeing suspects. Even
though the train was only a few minutes out of the station,
nobody from VIA thought to get a bus out to pick up the
passengers and get them
to the destination in a reasonable
Last issue we reported that former CNR electric loco­
motive 6710
has been placed on exhibition at the new station at
Deux Montagnes, Que. On September 17 we received word
that this historic locomotive
is being cleaned and repainted in
the proper colours. The city of Deux Montagnes is very proud
of 6710 and is giving it a good home.
One complaint that has been made quite frequently about
Canadian Rail
is the size of the type. Unless the reader has
excellent vision, it is a bit difficult to read some of the articles.
As an experiment, with this issue we are changing the type size
from 9-point to 9.5, still using the Times Roman font. The
of this is, of course, that it takes up more space. Please
let us know what you think of the new type size. If it is favour­
ably received
we will continue it.
BACK COVER: No, its not a view of the B.C. Electric interurban line in 1910, or even 1948, although one could be forgiven for
thinking it was.
It actually is the new Vancouver Heritage Trolley line on its opening day, July 29,1998. The condition of the line, and
the two cars, 1207 and 1311, is imaculate. Photo by William Bailey
This issue of Canadian Rail delivered to printer September29. 1998.
Canadian Rail
120, rue St-Pierre, St. Constant, Quebec
Canada J5A
Postmaster: if undelivered within
10 days return to sender, postage guaranteed.

Demande en ligne