Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 384 1985

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 384 1985

Canadian Rail
, ….
No. 384
This year marks lhe C9ntennial of a year which
was most important in the history of our country
as well as in
the history of the world. While we,
35 railway enthusiasts tend to think of 1885 in
terms of the Last Spike and the completion of the
Canadian Pacific Railway, other events. some un·
related to Canada were taking place and would,
sooner or later, a
ffect us all.
By 1885 the Canadian confederation was eigh.
teen years old and had extended from sea to sea
$i~e British Columbia had joined Canada in 1671.
Now the phy
sical reality of a railway was almost
finished and, later that year, an iron spike driven in a
remote mountain pan would symbolize the compl·
etion of the link. As Pierre Berton has so aptly put
it: Aft.r that year nothing could ever be the same
again, In fjfty years the railroads of Canada had
grown from a fourteen·mi
le portage line to a transe·
ontinental system.
also S80N the end of the confusion that
had existed due
to difference in time between most
stations. Standard time had been introduced in
1883, b
ut on January 1 1885 it was adopted gen·
erally across North America. Now the life of the
traveller would
be made simpler by the division of
the continent into one·hour time zones as they
in March of that fateful year rebellion broke
out in the West. It is not for us to debate the pros
and cons
of the issue. which led to the North·West
rebellion, b
ut to consider that the railway trans·
POrted the
troops there in record time and ended,
or all time we sincerely hope, battles on Canadian
Coincidently 1885 also saw Canadian troops
in action overseas for the first time as Canadian
boatmen greeted the new year while advancing up
river Nile to relieve General Gordon in Khartoum.
Unfortunately they arrived too late,
but the expe·
dition w
as a fontaste of what was to come: South
(1899). World War I (19141. World War II
(19391. Korea (19501. Anyone who remembers the
war years can recall the long troop trains, the huge
of departing 50Idiers at the various railway
ations, not to mention the seemingly-endless
freight trains carrying the materials of war to sea·
ports for shipment overseas. Wel it all started in
March 18
85 when the first troop trains left for the
ut the whole world was changing that year.
he electric light and telephone were already in use,
but three inventions which appeared in 1
885 were
ave profound effecl on railways and, indeed, on
the world.
Van Depoles overhead trolley. exhibited
the Toronto Exhibition of 1885, would $Oon
ring practical mechanical transportation to the
ds cities. By strange chance the first successful
l·combustion automobile was developed that
year in Germany. This would, years later, almost
drive the trolley from the streets, not to mention
ging the lifestyle of the world, but would,
combined with electric traction, produce the die·
,electric locomotive which would change the
of the railways. The third major discovery of
1885 was that messages could be transmitted by
radio walles. Th
is would revolutionize communication
as mucn as the raitway itself and would in time lead
to the radio and television
of today. Truly 1885
was a notable year
of great beginnings.
To commemorate this centennial we propose
to print, in each issue of Canadian Rail in 1985,
an article concerning some aspe
ct of 1885 as ap·
to Canadian railways. We will start with the
of the saving of an original C.P.A. coach which
as actually on the scene carrying passengers in
those eventful days and was likely on the earliest
transcontinental trains. What could be a
way to celebrate their centennial than to ensure the
restoration and preservation of this car? If we allow
to be lost it would be a national disgrace. In later
issues the gre
at cantilever bridges in British Columbia
and New Brunswick; then we will examine the de­
ils of a train register kept at a small station near
end-of·track in the remote wilderness of
the Cana·
dian shield in 1885; and, of course, we wi
ll conclude
with the Last Spike. One hundced years ago much
history was being made; let us
observe these sign·
ificant anniversaries.
Published bi-monthly by the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association
P.O Box 148 St. Constant P.O.
JOL IXO. Subscription rates $23.00
(US funds if outside Canada)
EDITOR: Fred F Angus
M. Peter Murphy
LAYOUT: Michel Paulet
BACK IN 1929, brand·new one-man car No. 1985 of the
Montreal Tramways Co. posed for an official photo outside
Youville Shops. On August 30 1959 car No. 1985 made his­
tory when it became the last street car to operate in reg­
ular passenger service in Montreal. Now we have a new year
1985 and so it is fitting to show this earlier 1985 that
was once so familiar to Montreal.
14 Reynolds Bay
Winnipeg, Manitoba
ISSN 0008-4875
P.O. Box 1162 Saint John,
New Brunswick E2L 4G7
P.O. Box
22 Station B
Montreal, Que. H3B 3J5
P.O. Box 141, Station A Ottawa,
Ontario K1 N 8V1
P.O. Box 5849, Terminal
Toronto Ontario M5W 1 P3
300 Cabana Road East,
Ontario N9G 1 A2
P.O. Box 603
Ontario N1 R 5W1
P.O. Box
St. Catharines,
Ontario L2R 6W8
P.O. Box 962
Smiths Falls
Ont. K7A 5A5
MOUNTAIN DIVISION P.O. Box 6102, Station
Edmonton Alberta T5B 2NO
60 -6100, 4th Ave. NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 5Z8
British Columbia V1C 4H9
P.O. Box 1006. Station A,
Vancouver British Columbia V6C 2P1
By Mike South
In Canadian Rail for January-February
1984, Pat Webb wrote eloquently of The Rescue
Of Car
54. The only snag with his whole article
is that the pile of artistic firewood that was
from the bulldozers path subsequently
turned out to be Car 52!
To recap briefly, then, Car 52 is the oldest
known existing passenger car built for the Can­
adian Pacific Railway. Note the very precise
of technology; one always has to be most
careful when describing any historical first or
superlative. Built
in 1882 by Harlan & Hollingsworth of
Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A. for the Canadian
Pacific Railway, Car
52 was probably one of
the makers stock designs. From her and sister
54 built at the same time, C.P. developed
the standard material and construction specif­
that were used for nearly all their sub­
sequent wooden coaches. Truly, Car 52 is the
great-grandmother to hundreds of subsequent
C.P. coaches.
Jim Shields, Canadian Pacifics Assistant
Corporate Archivist and probably TH E authority
on Canadian passenger cars, has kindly sent the
restoration team a copy of this exhaustive 32
page document, which covers everything from the.
types of wood, joints and fasteners to be used
down to the lining of the mens washroom walls
with zinc sheeting up to height!
Built as a
First Class coach, Car 52 was re­
numbered to 1816 in about 1912 and down­
graded to Second Class. Finally, she was donated
free to the Province of Alberta Mines Branch
in April 1913, for use as a mine rescue and
safety training car.
At the end of 1938, the
coachs deteriorating condition and improved
roads in southern Albertas Crowsnest Pass coal
country saw her sold as a grounded mine assay
At this point, so as not to detract from
Car 52s plebeian historical appeal, it would
A SIDE-ELEVA TlDN AND END VIEW of an 1882 C.P.R. coach showing general appearance and basic dimensions.
.:#)0·> C::aWa _____ I
A ,,::;:;::::-4 r:=

,… ,…


~ [1 0-
-44 3 Total Wheelbase
363 Truck Centres
Len th over frame

..————–S7O! Total length—-
be as well to clarify the meanings at that time
of First and Second Classes. First Class was used
to descri be coaches assigned to long distance
service, not the quality of their fitting. When new,
Car 52 was spartan indeed with rattan covered
flop over seats and plain mill-work internal finish.
Second Class merely described similar or identical
to those labelled First Class, except that they
were allocated to local service use. Hence, and
here is the kernel of Car 52s historical appeal, she
is the only remaining coach which carried ordin­
ary first generation settlers to western Canada.
With a pedigree like
that, how could efforts
to fund the restoration of Car 52 fail? The
answer is … very easily. Once the hype of her
media event arrival at Calgarys famous Her­
itage Park had
died down and the spotlights
been turned off, the number of active partici­
pants in the project dwindled perilously close
to unity. In National Energy Plan-ravaged Cal­
people were too busy fighting for bread to
put on the table to worry about the old girl
dumped in the long grass by the Hudson Bay fort.
Apart from finding some utility as a trysting loft
for amourous pigeons and a dumping ground for
empty paper cups by the Great Canadian Public,
remarkably little happened.
True, the assay office interior of the coach were
ripped out and a temporary plastic sheeting roof
was applied for her first winter (before the spring
storms blew it away). At the human interest
level, whilst the car was being cleaned out at the
Park, a box of original hand cut nails was discovered
sealed up behind one of the internal panels. Their
rattling must have driven many of Car 52s pass­
engers to distraction over the years! Also entombed
was some poor workmans long fossilized brown
bag lunch, and an alarmingly spelled note from
H&Hs shop foreman to one of his carpenters
advising him to shape up or ship out.
But moving mens minds proved to be a far
more intractable problem than moving 55 feet of
artistic firewood. That phrase again, coined by
Heritage Parks Assistant General Manager, Steve
Gundry, who whilst ever sympathetic to our plig­
ht -watched in a shared dismay as one months
temporary storage before the Parks season begins
stretched to 19 frustrating months. Im sure I saw
the gleam of a budding arsonist in his eye more
than once!.
In the event, the Committee of the Heritage
Park Society, the staff and particularly their Gen­
eral Manager, Rick
Smith, couldnt have been more
sympathetic and helpful. And most important
t-s 11~
of all, their site was secure, no problems from
vandalism there. Offers
of covered storage were solicited and
granted on several occasions, only to flo~nder on points of detail. When one company discovered
that it wasnt operating at a profit, it could no longer see the point of a Federal Tax Receipt
the value of the space occupied! Another company
said yes, only for their insurers to say no
because Car 52 represented a fire risk. A few months
later the same building was being proposed as an emergency Farmers Market, the previous one hav­
ing just spectacularly burnt down! One particul­arly appropriate site had to
be withdrawn from offer when it was needed to house surplus L.R.T. cars prior to the opening of Calgarys North-East LRT
leg. And so it went on. Even a very serious proposal to demolish the car, published
in the
Alberta Pioneer Railway Associations monthly journal The Marker met with a resounding sil-
6 =
ence, both from within the Society and frOI
without (shades of Nova Scotia!). And so, several thousand dollars worth of
phon~ .calls, lobbying, trave!, proposals, wining.
and-dining later (Note to Editor: thats wine, not whine!)
we come to October 1984.
Out of
the blue one day your author was con. tracted
by a former very senior government en­
ergy official, something
of a closet railway ent­husiast himself, who for various reasons
remain anonymous. Summoned to his office, on
the way out afterwards and quite by chance (?),
I am introduced to one of Calgarys most SUCce­
ssful but least known entrepreneurial millionaires. Several days later,
I am phoned by a third party giving
me the name and telephone number of a fourth party. James Bond never had such fun. This fourth party turns
out to be the Property Manager for Great
West Life Assurance Company, and yes, he has a suitable 9,000 square
foot ware·
A VIEW OF THE STA nON AT GLACIER B.C. about 1886 with the C.P.R. transcontinental train waiting. The car on the
left is a first class board-and-batten coach of the same type as car 52. It is hoped to restore the car to this appeirance.
Photo: CanadiCin Pacific.
.l .
house available in S.E. Calgary. By one of lifes
true coincidences, Great
West is a subsidiary of
Power Corporation, who just happen to be the
single largest
institutional holders of Canadian
Pacific stock.
Now the scrounge is on for a means of trans­
portation. In the end, it is the casual mention of
our plight by a CP Rail official to Drain Bros.
Ltd. of Blairmore -the same good
people who
built the moving skid and first trans­
ported Car 52
north -that produces results. Once
again, contracts and small
town generosity beats
out big city indifference.
So at high noon on Wednesday, 5 December
1984, Car 52 headed
out of Heritage Park for her
new covered home, no media, no Coverage, a
quiet understated affair. The
two drivers of the
tractor and trombone trailer rig, Hank Riviere
and Stan Walkaluk,
are veterans of many oilfield
equipment moves, artists
with the wheel and winch.
If our story has any heroes, it is these two men.
Every scrap
of their combined 80 years of hauling
is called upon to shoehorn the coach
into the warehouse from a cramped yard outside.
At one point, vital assistance is provided by a be­
mused neighbour, who finds his heavy forklift
truck and shop foreman commandeered at a cri­
tical moment. Thank
you, Waterrous Power Pro­
ducts, sorry about the broken windscreen (caused
by a loose fence panel, not a flying coach!)
CAR 52 ENTERING THE SOUTHERN CITY LIMITS of Calgary during a blizzard on Saturday February 26 1983. She is
mounted on a custom-fabricated but standard design oilfield equipment skid. All transportation and skid fabrication costs
were most generously donated by Drain Bros. Construction Ltd. of Blairmore, Southern Alberta.
Photo by Rick Eglington, Calgary Herald/~
EX-CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWA Y CAR 52 (later 1816) of 1882 in the third of her guises, as Province of Alberta Mine
Rescue Car No. 1/~ This is the only known full-length photograph of the coach with the original lower board-and-batten
siding. Sometime between 1916 (when this photo was taken for the Annual Report -Coal Mines Branch, Province of Alberta
1916) and 1919 the car was re-sided with vertical matchboarding. The letters Province Of Alberta are still clearly disting­
uishable on the coach ~ letterboard today.
Government of Alberta, via Glenbow-Alberta Institute.
In order to give this project its own unique
identity and distinguish it from other A.P.R.A.
for fund-raising and promotional purposes,
a small group
of Car 52 fanciers has formed
under the
working title of The Vintage Group.
you have to be an optimist to visualise
Car 52 as a guest of honour at Vancouvers Expo
86, but that is where she is going. What a won­
derful sight
she would/will make behind restored
C.P.R. 4-4-0 No.
374 and tailed by Heritage Parks
Last Spike Langdon & Shepard Business Car.
They should all
be at Craigellachie in November
but that would be pushing things somewhat.
Realisticly, probably
ony 30 percent of the
original car will end up in th~_final restoration, the
rest of the original serving mere1yls patterns before
finally succunib to rot and old age. Similar
ambitious projects
have been attempted and been
successful before,
but not in Nortll America. Now
that housing has been secured, what the project
still desperately
needs is financing for materials,
probably some $50,000 worth.
If you are a com­
pany chairman or president,
have we got plans
for you. By a complicated, but perfectly legal and above-hoard process, we
can provide you with
a tax writeoff in exchange for $50,000 worth
of cash and/or materials. Individual donations,
however small, –
are also solicited in exchange for
a Tax Receipt which you can use with your per­
tax return as part of your charitable don­
ations allowance. Roll up, roll up!
After all whats
(fifty) thousand dollars? Mere chicken feed. A
poultry matter. (Groucho Marx from the film
Cocoa Nuts).
with correspondence, project control and
estimatinq, drafting (no
scale plans exist yet), but
above all CONTACTS are also needed. It is unlikely
that the chance to restore such an historic coach
such a good representative
of the once common~
place, will ever occur again. Time (and Expo
86) presses. To paraphrase a well-known ad­
vertisement, Come on Canada, meet
you at the
Oh yes, that Car 52/Car 54 dichotomy. On
detailed examination of the car, the vast majority
of parts were found to be stamped 52 and/or
1816. Further research by Mine Rescue Car
ecialist Greg Hampton of Edmonton also con-
CAR 52 RESTING ON THE BACKLOT A T CALGARYS HERITAGE PARK near the replica Hudsons Bay Company fort in
the summer of 1984. The side door is not original but was put in when the car was a grounded mine assay office at Blairmore.
Note the pigeon roosting in the third-from-Ieft clerestory window!
Photo by Mike Westren.
that our car was in fact No. 52. Perhaps
Editor will one day persuade him to write an
article on the fascinating history of Albertas Mine
Rescue Cars. Also, Home Oil Company of Cal­
is the majority owner of Scurry Rainbow
not the other way about. Sorry about that,
Hiram Walker.
further details of the complex history of
Car 52 and sponsorship opportunities (personal
and corporate)
write to:
The Vintage Carriage Group,
131 Parkview Green S.E.,
Calgary, Alberta,
Canada T2J 4N4
CA R 52 UNDER CO VER A T LAST! Within 48 hours of her arrival at the Ridley Hill Car Shops in S.E. Calgary the car had
already started to dry out from her two winters of outdoor exposure. Now the real work begins.
Photo by Warren Williams.
THE BARE INTERIOR of car 52 after some of the cler­
estory roof panels had been removed. Underneath layers of
paint and coal dust, the original gold leaf patterning was still
clearly discernable on these panels. The interior side sheathing
was and is just plain millworked mahogany; the floor plain
white pine. Note the lack of sag in the car body despite its
age of almost 103 years.
Photo by Warren Williams.
EDITORS NOTE: It was intended to include
additional illustrative material on car 52,
but the
material in question
had not arrived from Calgary
press time, having been delayed in the mail
en route. If it does arrive, it will be published in
the next
***She makes rail ends meet-­
makes projects–and a host
of friends through efficient service
By Norris Adams ***
Hydros map of railway freight lines –The
Service Route of industrial southwestern British
Columbia identifies itself
as The B.C.E. Route.
British Columbia Electric Railway began
in 1897
as an electrified operation connecting Vancouver and
New Westminster. To-day it is a modern
diesel-powered railway serving
the Lower Mainland
of British Columbia. It provides connections with
port facilities and Canadian and
U.S. railways serving this important industrial area.
It is more
than a terminal railway, for it operates main and branch lines
in Greater Vancouver and the Fraser
Valley totalling 103 miles of mainline and approx­imately 90 miles of spurs, sidings and yard tracks
from False Creek
in Vancouver south to Steveston
and east to New Westminster. These operate over
tracks leased from
C.P. Rail and these branch lines
are corporately known
as the V&L.I. (Vancouver & Lulu Island Railway).
C.P. R. ran a small steam
passenger train from downtown Vancouver
Steveston from 1902 to 1905 just prior to the
lease with the B.C.E.R. who strung overhead el­
ectric wires for powering passenger interurbans and freight locomotives. Steveston remains to this day,
, a small town oriented
to fishing, processing, packing
and distributing. It
is at the mouth of the South
Arm of the Fraser River on the far side of Lulu
Hydro has its major assembly yard, maintenance,
repair facilities and general offices
in New West-
From Queensboro Road Bridge, looking west at Hydros marshalling tracks at Trapp Yard. Also shown are repair and
maintenance shops. West Turn no. 7 is accumulating cars on the far left, crescent-shaped storage track.
Hydros strongest and ablest work horses, ballasted S.D. 38s stand outside the maintenance shops. All engines are groom­
ed herefor the West Turn run to Huntingdon, B.C.
.~~ .
minster. On the New Westminster-Burnaby boun­
dry, the railroad has a 21 acre marshalling yard,
where 7 1/2 miles of multiple tracks is sufficient
to store 650 cars, and more capacity is planned.
The yard is a triumph of engineering and plan­
ning as it
was built on an original soft peat base,
which has been filled and compacted. There are,
major road crossings. By law, such crossings
must not be obstructed tor more tIlan tlve minutes.
Just try to find a spot in a large urban area where
space exists unimpeded to spot a 100 car train,
power units and caboose, whose length will not
have to be broken up on account of motor traffic
crossing its tracks. It is from this (Trapp) yard that
two West Turn trains are assembled and depart
On April
23, 82 West Turn no. 1 received clear­
ance at New Westminster at 13.31 hours with
S.D. 38–2000 H.P. engine no. 382 running Extra
East. Form 19 Y informed all eastward and west­
ward Extra trains in the Fraser Valley Sub: Do
not exceed (8) kilometers per hour over the Fraser
River Railway Bridge.
lVIileage: nought point eight
to mileage one point six eight until entire train is
clear. 0.80 -1.68. Another caution was a wait at
Livingstone involving Extra 381 East.
The consist was 44 cars -mostly U.S. roads, B.C.
and C.P. and C.N. Some would be transferred
to C.P. at Abbotsford, some to Burlington lJorthern
at the Huntingdon Sumas interchange yard and
some would go on B.C. Hydros ongoing Chilli­
wack connection from Huntingdon. This run is
known as the East Turn – a further 20 miles to
connect with C.N.s transcontinnental mainline.
Normally, Hydro would assign two of their S.W.
900 R.S.s as the power team. It is signifigant to
note that, while the mileage is shorter by C.N.
between their Port Mann yard-(across the Fraser
from New Westminster) and Chilliwack-­
the immense size and density of this yard tends
to foster delays, thus favouring Hydro routing.
West Turn no. 1 was carrying this day interesting
carload lots–such as plywood, corn, lumber, steel
potash, scrap, pulp–to name just a few
commodities. It is 43 miles for the West Turns
no. 1 run–that is between Trapp Yard, New West­
minster and the yard at the U.S. -Canada border
at Sumas, Washington, Huntingdon B.C. Hydro uses
115 pound rail and often 2 or 3 ballasted S. D.
38s; The extra tractive effort is required for the
2 percent grade, curves, and heavy tonnage, but
the scenery can be appreciated with no extra effort.
This is usually a silk train run with no set
offs or pick ups and speed rarely ever exceeds 34
m.p.h. This part of the line has a few constraints.
The Federal Government Department of Public
Works rail bridge at New Westminster, is one mile
length and single tracked, built in 1904 and is
exceedingly busy with unit and merchandise trains
of 4 major railways. This bridge has taken a beating
over the years. It has been put out of service by
hit-and-run barges, fire, a bridge tenders strike,
and, of course, repairs. Long detours have been
necessary for Hydro via C.P. through Mission and
3 .
Some of the old originals –the 900 H.P. G.M. s and no. 942 a 70 ton G.E. no. 153 a 1500 H.P. G.M. also no. 900, and
an old wooden caboose A-2 rest outside the East End of the Trapp Yard maintenance shop.
Double end S 102 Snow plough –an ex-B. C.E.R. electric freight locomotive converted to a new purpose. An old wooden
box car behind is used to store equipment at Trapp Yard.
Coquitlam–certainly a more favourable grade of
1 percent and more continuous straight track.
At Pratt, mile 14.35 Hydro has a junction with
B.C. Harbours Board Railways for coal trains that
run through to Roberts Bank Superport. Joint
C.T.C. track is shared by Hydro with C.P. & C.N.
a distance
of 7 1/2 mi les to Livingstone. Here is the
junction with the Rawlision Subdivision which is
a branch line to the C.N. mainline. A rather ar­
chaic constraint exists at mile
37, Clayburn–where
Hydro tracks cross C.P. Mission subdivision tracks
and parallel
each other through Abbotsford to the
border at Huntingdon, B.C. Sumas, Washington
where Burlington Northern delivers and receives
to and from Seattle. The crossover of
C.P. tracks at Clayburfl goes something like this.
5 A big move–Monday, Sept 8/80 the Discovery train moves from Coquitlam by C.P. Rail and is accepted by Hydro at
13.40 hours. Hydro no 904 latches on to proceed to the S yard. C.P. engines retire on the right hand side at New
6 Hydro with the heavy Discovery train leaves Trapp Yard at 13:05 and faces a 1 percent uphill grade. The stop is for a
brake test at 90 Ibs. pressure. The train stops when the overspeed relay kicks out.
Forward door allows a view as engine no 931 crosses the North Arm of the Fraser River heading for MarpoJe (shown in the
foreground). The Discovery Train has just been delivered to a site designated by Hydro near Steveston.
8 Hydro engine no 153 and caboose A 2 return to crew quarters on the V.L.I. Westminster track. Engine 931 leaves Steves­
ton at 14:40, running light.

Hydro stops just prior to crossing the C.P. diamond.
head-end flagman detrains and locks himself
in the small signal shanty, setting C.P. approach
to the stop position. The rear-end flagman
walks forward from
the caboose and mounts the
engine cab. The flagman in the shanty protects
his train across
the diamond and when it is in the
clear, boards the caboose.
At Huntingdon, fresh action begins. Here there
are 4 tracks for storage cars., interchange and train
assembly. Some will be picked up by B.N. for
points, others will be incorporated with a train
for Chilliwack and furtherance by C.N. Still others
will be built into the return West Turn train for
Trapp yard, New Westminster, where arrival
often around 19.30 hours.
9 Marine traffic has the right-of-way. The False Creek trestle and swing span is open. After October 21, there will be no rail
service this way. Hydro will use its south shore tracks, some B.N. tracks and newly-laid tracks of its own on the east end of
False Creek. The end of the line will be at the team tracks in the Carrall yards in the downtown commercial industrial
10 Former B.C.f.R. steeple jack electric freight motors 960 & 961, in Hydro logo and colour, stand in static storage in the
KitsHano yards.
Engine 905 leads its train to Marpole. The old tram tracks have been removed as shown by the vacant right-of-way on the
right. Passenger service has been supplanted by a trolley bus service, whose overhead wires can be seen on the left. Current
rumours indicate that the A.L.R. T. service to Richmond may use this track space.
It is an era of change. Planned redevelopments intercept several of Hydros (ex B.C.E.R) rights-of-way. The A.L.R. T.
system now being built will use part of the former Central Park Line, also the Marpole line See no. 11.
The large marshalling yard at Trapp provides
assembly tracks
for cars destined for almost im­
mediate dispatch
to four other divisions and 3
tributaries. The Central Park sub
is 7.3 miles long
and usually its
work is done at nights. The Annacis
Auto Unloading Facility on Annacis Island receives
many Japanese auto vehicles
for cross country
forwarding. This branch of about 2 miles is known
as the Annacis/Queensboro line, and is shared in
with C.N. Once again, a major swing span is
involved; and bridge tenders monitor, ships, barges
and trains.
of the Kitsilano Trestle and Swing Span at
False Creek, Vancouver to Marpole Junction at
mile 6.27. Here
is a junction with the Steveston
13 The D.P.W. single tracked New Westminster Railroad swing span is a classic of the year 1904. Its capacity both for rail
and marine traffic is taxed to the limit. Waiting its turn to cross is a frequent occurance for Hydro trains, who must share
with C.N. and B.N. It has been out of service because of fire, bridge tenders strike, runaway barges and of course the time
needed to make repairs.
14 Sometimes, detours using C.P. s Mission subdivision are necessary. This means using their rail bridge at Mission to cross
the Fraser River and also the Pitt River Bridge on their mainline near Coquitlam on their Cascades Sub. Hydro is shown
on C.P. tracks approaching the far side of the Pitt River bridge.
Subdivision. Once again, Hydro is confronted with a long bridge and swing span
in order to cross the North Arm of the Fraser River.
It is 5 miles across
level Lulu Island to Steveston. At Marpole Jet., the line runs alternatively east following the North
Arm of the Fraser, 10 miles east through the Trapp
Yard to 13th Street New Westminster. Hydros Railway progress
is often challenged and some­
times impeded by runaway marine traffic. Hydro
crosses 8 bridges which are
not immune to delays and detours, and volumes created by other rail­
roads and water-borne carriers
Recently, a major detour was occasioned by a
fire and the resulting damage and repairs neces­sary–on the Fraser River
Rail Bridge at New West-
15 This scene is at Pratt, where a C.P. unit coal train leaves Hydro ~ 7 miles of C. TC. track, having entered at Living~tone.
C.N. also shares these tracks. From the point shown, the coal train uses Harbour Board tracks to Robert~ Bank train-to­
ship transfer. Hydro ~ West Turn no. 1// waits for the signal to indicate Clear Track~
16 Hydro crosses C.P. tracks at Clayburn. Head end brakeman enters signal control shanty and locks himself in, until his
train clears the crossing diamond. Note the signal indication.
17 Approach signals indicate stop to C.P. traffic.
18 Train clear of crossover, conductor boards his caboose. Two trainmen are used in this somewhat archaic manoeuvre.
Some of the iron control levers are marked Patented 1898.
minster. Hydro trains were enabled to use C.P.
tracks and their Fraser River Bridge crossing be­
tween Abbotsford and Mission City
to the C.P.
Cascade mainline subdivision, which follows
Fraser River at a 1 percent grade to Coquitlam; thence over
the Westminster sub 8.4 miles to New
Westminster and
the final short connection into
Hydros Trapp yards. The railways
in the lower
mainland literally, pull together
to help one
another normally,
but even more so, when adver­
sity strikes.
B.C. Hydro Rail has a diversified roster
of diesel locomotives. 22 units bring the range
660 h.p. to 2000 h.p., While it moves literally
hundreds of foreign road cars, it does own or lease:
3 depressed-centre flat cars
3 gondolas for scrap
50 foot Thrall door box cars
526 wide-door box cars
50 52 Evans Box cars which are leased to
specific customers.
Rail has procured and set aside large
of land adjacent to its rights-of-way; and in
an efficient, well-planned concept, has set up in­
dustrial parks which are fully serviced, including
team and customers spur tracks. Hydroscustomers
TO like the conveinent, reliable and quick
service offered them.
Rail is caught in the throes of several
major right-of-way relocations, brought about by
the proposed A.L.R.T. plans and
an architectural
update of some of the old downtown property
to the Fraser River in New Westminster.
B.C. Hydro Rails pamphlet, a brief history
is thoughtfully distributed to-day to interested per-sons. Retired employees, historians,
rail enthu­
siasts, who were invited
to ride the two-car special
on two return trips across the 96 year old trestle
and swing span at False Creek, declared
that a
in B.C. railroading had closed.
For this finale, Hydro
Rail supplied Diesel
no. 910-1000 h.p., freshly painted and overhauled.
The Provincial Ministry
of Tourism provided a
power car, Cheakamus Canyon and
an open­
ended platform lounge-observation car. Your
author knew this span well. It was his pleasure to
ride the old no. 12 one man operator–Kitsilano
cars from downtown
to the Yew Street loop. Now,
B.C. Place may claim the north section of the
trestle and
all the track that led up to the 4 ret­
aining tracks–the interchange spot formerly used
C.P. rail at the western limits of the old Drake
St. Yards. Hydro had served some
30 industries
on both sides
of the Creek from this point. Current thinking
is that a part of the southern end of the
will serve as a wye on which to turn Hydro
or trains.
the show goes on for Hydro in a new
that has many of its old touches. They
will pick up and spot cars along their South Shore
line, which includes a stretch
of B.W. track and then
run over their newly
laid track at the East end of False Creek and terminate
at team tracks in the
Carrall Yard. These is much more that could be
said in favour of B.C. Hydro Railway. B.C. El­
ectric Railway laid routes that, even 60 years later,
remain sound, favourable, progressive and patron
pleasing. She may
be small, but shes a working
wonder: British Columbia Hydro Railway.
2 G.M.D. 900 H.P. units pose outside the maintenance shops at Trapp Yards, New Westminster.
3 C.P. Units nos 5811, 5849 & 5752 with a unit coal train are on C.N. transfer tracks that connect with C.N. mainline.
They wait to enter Hydros C. T.C tracks at Livingstone. Ahead, we face 2 red lights. It looks as if C.P. coal car 349677
has pulled a drawbar and that a repair crew is approaching.
Trains crossing the Fraser River Bridge at New Westminster are sometimes a mile long. Hydro uses the approach tracks
in the near foreground. Till 1936, there was an upper deck highway bridge, when the Pattulo Bridge (in the foreground)
was built.
Picture courtesy of B. C. Hydro Railway -shows a cut of tri-Ievel cars on the Annacis Island -Oueensboro Bridge.
More vehicles are unloaded from a shipside facility on Annacis Island.
151 MP 1500 G.M. Dec 1975 1500
1500 G.M.
Dec 1975 1500
153 IVIP 1500 G.IVI. Dec 1975 1500
384 SD 38-2 G.M. Aug 1974 2000
383 SD 38-2 G.M. Dec 1972 2000
382 SD 38-2 G.M. Dec 1972 2000
381 SD 38 G.M. Oct 1971 2000
911 SW 900 G.M. Mar 1969 1000
910 SW 900 G.M. July 1967 1000
SW 900 G.M. June 1964 900
908 SW900 G.M. April 1958 900
907 SW900 G.M. April 1958 900
906 SW 900 G.M. Mar 1958 900
905 SW 900 G.M. Mar 1958 900
904 SW 900 G.M. Aug 1957 900
903 SW 900 G.M. Aug 1957 900
SW 900 G.M. June 1956 900
901 SW 900 G.IVI. June 1956 900
* 931 SW900 G.IVI. May 1956 900
SW900 G.M. June 1955 900
942 70 Ton G.E. Sept 1949
940 70 Ton G.E. Sept 1949
* Ex Midland Railway of Manitoba
Hydro Rail gives serious consideration to employee safety measures. The crew, before taking West Turn no. lout, have been
invited to view a safety film in the yard office. Their assigned power, 3 S.D. 38s. no. ~. 382, 382 & 384 rests at the idle
before coupling on for train departure to Huntingdon. –
Fire has dealt a blow to the Westminster Rail bridge. It is necessary to reroute Hydro trains to and from Huntingdon.
Picture shows Hydro engines 153,911 & 151 and caboose A-2 June 1782 crossing the Pitt River Bridge on C.P.s main­
line-· the Cascade sub.
e. uSlne
of Tourism/EXPO 86 for the Province
of British Columbia announced today that
EXPO 86 has awarded a $10,580,000 contract
to Von Roll-Habegger Ltd. for the construction
of a 5.6 kilometre monorail system on the False
Creek site.
The sleek trains
will traverse the Expo site at
an elevation of 5 metres, giving passengers a pano­
ramic view
of the more than 80 international and
corporate pavilions, shops, theatres, and on-site
At an average speed of 20 kilometres per
hour, one complete circuit
of the site will take
twenty minutes. With six stations en route, Expo
visitors will have easy access to the system itself
and to the variety of attractions on the site.
The monorail
has a capacity of 3,000 passengers
p~r hour round trip. It is a quiet, completely auto­
mated, well proven system driven by electric
Each of the 10 trains carries a maximum of 100
passengers. In addition to the six stations on site,
the monorail
will connect with the ALRT system at
the Stadium station, allowing
gu~~ts to travel to the
Canadian Pavilion on Burrard Inlet.
The trains, developed /
for EXPO 86, a~e a proto­
type with the coach design being exclusive to
Expo. The aerodynamic design will make the
monorail itself
an exciting symbol of the trans­
portation theme of the 1986 World Exposition.
In making the announcement, Richmond pointed
out that the manufacture, assembly and erection
of the steel rail and supports will create some 40
new jobs in the Lower Mainland. Work begins
within the next few weeks and is scheduled for
completion in October 1985.
Thomas backshops, and the subsequent trans­
of locomotive maintenance to Cumberland
on June 8th, 1984, has not only caused
the lay-off of 12 Canadians but also the retire­
ment of the entire Canadian motive power fleet.
Presently stored servicable on the
east lead to
Southwold Yard (in St. Thomas, Ont.) are 2 SW9
(5240 & 5242); 1 SW1 (8401); 9 GP7 (5730,
5731. 5732, 5733, 5734. 5735, 5736, 5737, and
partially caniballized 5738); 3 EMD
GP7 (5744,
5773, and 5781 -all long term naturalized
adian Geeps) –15 units in total. All are painted
Chessie System blue, yellow and vermilion.
Replacing these units
are Western Maryland (what
else?) GP9 units 6400-6419 series. Not all of the
complete group
has yet been reported by rail­
but early summer sightings include 6400,
6402,6404,6408,6410,6413,6417 and 6419. All
are chopped-nosed, with a single-piece window, and
all except
6404 and 6410 are in Chessie colours,
sublettered WM. 6404
& 10 are still in red and
with the black speed lettering.
in western Canada supports 14,000-tonne
trains and
is not underpinned by preservation
orders denoting
historic interest.
CP Rail is confident that its stone-arch
bridges and culverts, stone bridge abutments and
stone bridge piers in B.C., Alberta and Saskatch­
are robust enough to survive well into the
next century.
Nicholas Chizik, assistant regional engineer
CP Rails Pacific region, said there are about 100
masonry arches on the mainline between
Current, Sask., and Vancouver. There are hundreds
of other masonry culverts and abutments to steel
The railway, which opened its mainline
to Van­
couver in 1886,
ceased building in stone in 1910,
to concrete and steel for all construction.
Initial bridge building
was in wood, with the
of a noted cast iron crossing of the
Fraser River at Cisco, downstream
of Lytton.
Chizik said that masonry replacements to or­
iginal wooden structures
have stood up remark­
ably well
to the years of increasing traffic volumes.
The stone bridges,
built chiefly of granite by
European masons, show no sign of distress and
mortar appears in sound condition.
Mortar problems have been encountered on
masonry abutments subject
to water pressure,
but the railway has developed a technique for
injecting epoxy resin into unsound joints.
Masonry culverts present more
of a problem
because the height of the track bed above the crown
of the masonry arches has gone up with time as
successive layers of fresh ballast have been applied.
said that this heightening ot the track
bed has spread the load over the full span of cul­
verts, diminishing the technical efficiency
of the
supporting arches. There have been problems.
Near Yale, in the Fraser Canyon,
CP Rail is
completing a 25.9-metre steel bridge to replace
a 3.6-metre masonry culvert over Gordon Creek.
The cost
of renewal is put at $500,000.
Chizik said problems
of water pressure and
of Mortar bonding shows up in masonry
retaining walls,
but inspection shows the problem
not serious.
is no adequate way of testing the stren­
of masonry arches apart from a destructive
of loads, which would be senseless.
Computer modelling of load limits is not possible,
Chizik said.
Railway bridges
are usually awarded a Coopers
after a set of standards developed by U.S.
!:ridge engineer Theodore Cooper. Over
time CP
Rail has raised the Coopers rating for its mainline
spans from E50 to E72.
No rating
is awarded the masonry spans, though
it is accepted that the real figure is in excess of
was the consultant engineer for the
first cantilever rail bridge over the St. Lawrence.
Started in 1902
to a design by P.C. Szlapka, the
south arm
of the main span collapsed during con­
struction in 1907,
killing 80 men.
. The
cause of the disaster was a failed compres­
sIon member which
had visibly deflected well
before the disaster. Inexplicably, Cooper did
answer initial warning messages; and when he did
become alerted
to the true situation, the signal
for a stopwork order was fumbled. A subsequent
Royal Commission found the bridge
was inadeq­
uately engineered. Cooper, already
an old man,
died soon afterwards.
The most honored masonry
span in North Am­
is the eight-arch curving span of the Thomas
Viaduct over Papso Creek, at Relay, Md. Built in
it is still in use.
The next ranking major viaduct is the 17-arch
of Starruco Creek, Penn., completed in
Said Chizik: We dont know what the true
of our stone bridges would be, but we are
confident that they will last indefinitely, given
adequate inspection
and care.
The most viewed masonry arch on
CP Rails
mainline through
B.C. is not in use. It is a span
near the eastern end of Rogers Pass in the Sel­
kirk Mountains. Abandoned in 1910, when the
railway opened its Connaught Tunnel below the
pass, the bridge is viewable from the Trans-Canada
Highway. Sitting high above
the eastern portal
to the tunnel, it used to carry the railway line over
Cascade Creek.
Un peu dhistoire …
Vers la fin des annees 1870, Saint­
Eustache connalt un essor economique
dO, tant au dynamisme des
marc hands et des hommes daffaires du
qu aux recoltes sans cesse crois­
santes des cultivateurs de la region.
Cette situation fort appreciable de tous
subissait une entrave bien difficile
it sur­
er it Iepoque: les communications
avec Montreal sont tres penibles. II en
donc une difficulte dapprovi­
sionnement pour les commerces locaux
et des delais considerables dans I ache­
minement des produits agricoles vers la
De plus, toute personne desi­
rant travailler
it Montreal devait y se­
journer la semaine durant. Suite it de
nombreuses discussions sur Ie sujet, une
compagnie se forme ayant com me ob­
jectif de relier Saint-Eustache it Sainte­
Therese-de-Blainville par chemin de fer:
( Un dernier probleme a regler pour relier
it la lignc de chemin de
Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa et occi­
dental: Iargent. Le conseil municipal du
de Saint-Eustache et la Corpora­
tion de la Paroisse de Saint-Eustache
votent chacun un montant de I
500 $
pour Iachat du terrain necessaire it
linstallation du chemin de fer.
complete son mandat de
dune ligne de chemin de
fer entre Saint-Eustache et Sainte­
Therese, la Saint-Eustache Railway
Company vend Ie tout en 1882 it la
Compagnie de chemin de fer Canadien Pacifique. Le service ferroviaire est
Ie 26 juin 1882 et demeure en
jusquau 27 avril 1940 soit,
58 ans.
En 1882,
il fallait 45 minutes pour relier
Saint-Eustache it Sainte-Therese alors
en 1940, 12 minutes suffisaient pour
accomplir Ie me me trajet. En passant, Ie
train arretait a la Montee du Chi cot pour
Ie besoin des passagers sur signal de
ceux-ci seulement. ..
Durant ces nombreuses
annees, to us
les citoyens de Saint-Eustache et des en­
y trouvent leur compte. Les mar­
chands generaux Paquin et Lahaie
construisent de grands entrepots
a proxi­
de la gare. La circulation des biens
necessaires it
la communaute en expan­
sion s effectue dans des delais raison­
nables. Les cultivateurs acheminent
leurs produits agricoles vers l
es grands
ches de Montreal. De nombreuses
personnes se trouv
ent un emploi it
Montreal et peuvent effectuer Ie trajet
matin et soir. Lors du terrible incendie
de 19
10 qui ravage une partie du vil­
e, cette situation est controlee surtout
grace aux sapeurs et it lequipement du
setvice des incendies de Montreal ache­
durgence it Saint-Eustache par
Le progres aura
toutefois raison de
cette institution qui a si bien servi Saint­
Eustache durant de nombreuses annees.
En effet, divers elements se conjuguent
pour mettre un terme it celte exploitation
ferroviaire. Les routes donnant acces
Montreal se developpent rapidement
Ie transport des marchandises
et des dcnrees par cam ion . Les pass a­
gers pour la metro pole decouvrent Jau­
tobus tandis que les irreductibles du
train adoptent gradue
llement Ie chemin
de fer du
Canadien National it Deux­
ontagnes. Faute de clients et d usa­
gers. Ie Canadien Pacifique met fin it
son exploitation a Saint-Eustache en
of the tunnel for commuters who use
the rapidly deteriorating Montreal-Two-Moun­
tairi~ train line.
It will report to the MUC executive committee
some time in 1986.
Although the oldest
commuter line in North
America urgently
needs a facelift, Montreal Island
have done the next best thing. Theyve
set up a committee to study how the-work should
be done.
The committee
will include representatives from
nine affected municipalities, including St. Laurent,
Pierrefonds, Roxboro
and Dollard des Ormeaux,
and officials
from the Montreal Urban Community
(MUC), the Quebec Transport Department, Can­
adian National Railways and Bombardier Inc. The
West Island Mayors hope the MUC and the
provincial and federal governments
will finally
be able to agree on a cost-sharing scheme for up­
grading the line
used daily by more than 12,000
–most of them from the West Islands
north shore area.
Interviewers with mayors and transit officials
that Bombardier, the giant Quebec rail­
way car manufacturer,
is far ahead in the run­
for the lucrative contract.
think theres no question that Quebec wants
the contract
for Bombardier, said Roxboro Mayor
William Boll.
They have the expertise and the line would be used
to showcase Quebec technology.
Quebec Transport
Dep)rtment officials would
not comment. But Quebec has, in the past, fav­
ored the concept of an above-ground transit net­
work for the islands north shore and east end.
CNR Montreal-Two Mountains line, Quebec
hopes, would link up with a new steel-wheeled
Metro train line serving the east end.
Although Quebec and Ottawa signed an agree­
in 1981 putting money aside for improve­
ments, on
Iy parking lots at a few stations have
been spruced up.
S. The Gazette.-Montreal
on a program to acquire and operate most
of the railway stations on main passenger lines across Canada, starting with a long-overdue $3.5-million renovation of
Torontos historic
Union Station. The year-long renovation
in Toronto will see
the 57-year-old station get a facelift
as water jets
blast off years
of accumlated grime from its ex­terior facade. The great
hall of the station is to be
refurbished and repainted, and escalators are to be
installed to aid the handicapped
in reaching or leaving trains.
Via wants to take control of all the
Via Rail passenger-related operations at the station,
as it pursues a program of acquiring other major
stations across the country.
These stations
will be purchased outright from,
or operated under lease arrangements with, their
current owners, Canadian National Railways and
CP Rail of Montreal.
Via has already acquired historic Gare du Palais
in Quebec City from CP Rail and is renovating
in a $28-million program that will retain the
stations arch itectu
ral heritage featu res. This
will put us right in Lower Town in Que­bec City, said Alain Nantel, director
of facilities
Via trains now stop at suburban Ste. Foy, Que. The program also calls for
the laying
of eight miles of new track to the station. In add­
ition, bus operators
will be invited to use the st­ation
as part of an intermodal service.
Via has completed the restoration of the Levis,
Que., station
as an intermodal transportation centre after acquiring it under lease from
The station serves as a terminal for local bus ser­vices and the ferries
that cross the St. Lawrence River
to Quebec City.
We hope
that other communities across the
country will take note of these intermodal op­
erations centred on downtown
rail stations, which can also serve
as local and long-distance bus ter­
minals. The
rail passenger agency is building a new
in Sudbury, located 2,000 feet from the
CP station. It will also acquire stations in
Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver, and Hal­
ifax in a step-by-step program.
The acquisition
of the rail passenger-related operations at Union Station
in Toronto and Cen­
tral Station
in Montreal will come later. Union
is jointly owned by two railways. Central
is owned by CN. But the railways still have
offices and lucrative concessions
in these structures.
lJor are there immediate plans to acquire Union Station
in Ottawa, also jointly owned by the rail­
It is comparatively new by the historical standards of
the other stations to be acquired and it fits Vias present requirements.
It was the desire to improve the appearance
of the stations,
to ma ke them more attractive
to passengers and help lure more traffic to
enger trains, that provided the impulse behind Vias program.
The stations are still owned by the railways,
but because the railways are no longer in the pa­
ssenger business, it has
not been in their interest
to upgrade them. As a result, many have gone to
seed and are downright shabby.
Mr. Nantel said the stations are part of some unresolved business
that goes back to 1977, when
Via Rail received its Government mandate to
operate rail passenger services in Canada.
Via Rai I got the roll ing stock but the matter of the stations was left up
in the air. Via has been making a lump sum rental payment for their use.
In its arguments for obtaining control of the
stations, Via has noted that they are the first and
last contact a passenger has with its services.
contends that the more attractive and comfortable
these points of
contact can be made, the more
the passenger
will be satisfied with those services.
Via wants full and complete control.
We want to improve our station services by making
them more attractive and efficient
in areas of
ticketing, baggage handling and in providing ad­
ditional services, such
as tourist information. And
we also want local community participation in
these programs.
We have found
that communities have a strong
attachment to their local station and
we hope to
be able to persuade communities to take part
and share
in their operation through the provi­
sion of some
community services.
As for the future,
we are in the process of completing negotiations with
CP to acquire their
in Trois Rivieres, Que. We hope to begin
discussions soon on acquiring the station
in Hal­
ifax, and we are nearing completion of negotiations
for sale of its station
to us at Winnipeg. Agreement
will soon be concluded on obtaining the station
in Regina from CP, while Via is also
negotiating to relocate the
CP station in Calgary
to a nearby federally owned building that will
better suit its purpose.
It is also negotiating a
lease with CN to operate its station in Vancouver.
The Vancouver station
is expected to become
of a transportation complex centred on the
area. It is adjacent to the planned terminal
of the Advanced Light Rapid Transit line being
built for Vancouvers Expo 86.
S. GLOBE & MAl L -Toronto
it first ran in the City, Car No. 1 restored
regular streetcar service
to Edmonton. A sister
to Car No.2, which made the inaugural run, Car
llo. 1
was built by the Ottawa Car Co. in 1908
ran unti I the system closed in 1951 with its
final run over the High Level Bridge in September,
of more than 1 1/2 mi II ion mi les.
Languishing behind Cromdale barn for more
than a decade,
No.1 was ravished by vandals un­
til efforts of the Rocky Mountain division of the
Canadian Railroad Historical Association resulted
in partial restoration and a
moment of glory (or­
as she was towed on rubber wheels
behind a tractor in the Confederation
Parade in
July, 1964. The City of Edmontons 75th Anni­
saw No.1 restored to operating condition
and run
across the High Level Bridge from October
4-6, 1979
on C.P.R. tracks by a small group of
enthusiasts, mainly from Edmonton Transit, who
later formed the Edmonton Radial Railway
After being moved to Fort Edmonton Park
in 1981,
No.1 was operated over the steam rail­
way, towing a mobile generator
until her mech­
anical condition made
further operation impos­
tive passenger rail vehicle, designed to improve
city and suburban transportation made its
North American debut in Newport, Rhode Island,
USA, on 18 July 1984.
E3ritish built, the new vehicle is a bus body
on a railway vehicle undercarriage and
runs on railway tracks. It has already proven to
be a highly cost-effective form of passenger trans­
portation in demonstrations; and is in full opera­
tional service in England, Ireland, Denmark and
The Railbus
is a joint project of two British
companies -British Rail Engineering
Limited (
BR E L), of Derby, in the heart of England, and
Bus of Workington.
are convinced that this new and exciting
concept in rail travel has an important place in
suburban railroads in the United States and
ghout the world, said James Urquhart, Chairman
d British Rail Engineering, in announcing plans
for the US demonstrations of Railbus. Rugged
test programmes
have proved that the Railbus
has outstanding reliability, durability, operational
efficiency and
passenger acceptability.
On 18 July 1984, Government and public of­
ficials, transportation experts, and business leaders
IMlre on hand for special ceremonies in Newport
for three months, carrying commuter and holiday
passengers between Newport and nearby points
along the
track of the Old Colony and Newport
Railway. In October, it will be moved to Wash­
for its US exhibition debut at the Ameri­
can Public Transit Association Conference at the
Washington Convention Center.
The Railbus taken
to the USA was a single­
premium series version powered by a single
diesel engine.
It can be supplied, however, as a
single, double
or multiple-unit vehicle depending
on customer requirements. A wide range of cus­
tomer options includes air conditioning, high­
glass, and toilet facilities. The Railbus is
a bi-directional vehicle, with a driving cab at each
end. Its maximum speed is 75 miles per hour and
excellent fuel economy allows
it to wive I over
7 miles on one gallon
of fuel.
Urquhart points out that B R E-Leyland is
pursuing a try and buy marketing policy that
allows rail operators the opportunity to put the
into fare-paying passenger service on a
basis so that they can evaluate its full pot­
ential before making a
commitment to buy.
Designed to the highest standards of British
Rail specifications, the Railbus combines the latest
in British Rail Engineering suspension technology
with quality Leyland bus body construction. The
pioneering vehicle
is the product of four years
of research and development.
According to
Mr Urquhart, more than 20 coun­
tries are currently showing keen interest
in the cost-cutting commuter Railbus. British
Rail is
currently operating 40 Railbuses in fare-paying
passenger services and has ordered
150 additional
In order to assist sales of Railbus in America, B R
ELand Leyland have formed a new company
called B R E-Leyland Inc. Additionally for sales of other BREL products a new company called
REI nc has been formed.
(CP) TRAIN station at Dorval
is open no more -operator
Jean-Pierre Chartrand closed the buildings
doors for the last time Friday, ending
98 years
of history for commuters and railway buffs.
The station, built
in 1887, will eventually be
torn down. To replace it, an integrated bus-train
station and parking area
is expected to be cons­
tructed west of Dorval Circle. Chartrand, the station operator since
said Dorval commuters will now have to brave the
elements while waiting for the trains to rumble
1 would open up at 6: 15 in the morning,
he said. On very cold mornings I would some­
times have many people
in here. Theyll have to
wait outside now.
1 guess they wont be very happy.
Dorval Mayor Peter Yeomans said it
is un­
fortunate the building is being closed in the dead
ct winter and added it had to be done at the
beginning of the year for CPs
1985 budget. The mayor said commuters
will still be able
to use shelters at the station. Chartrand, 42, said the station has built a
putation among railway buffs as being one of the best locations for taking photographs
of locomo-
tives. ,
He said he has had train enthusiasts from as
far away as Germany, Ireland and England stop
at the station to view passing trains. And
he said the station has become popular with rail fans from
the United States, parti­
cularily those from New York,
New Jersey and Pennsylvania who frequently come
to Montreal
for long weekends
to watch trains. Chartrand said
the Dorval location is one of
the best for train buffs because two railways
CP and Via Rail –travel past the station.
Dorval has two different railways and the
people get a chance to see a lot of differnet equip­
ment, he observed. For example, the engines
Via uses are no longer used in the States.
Chartrand said the foreign enthusiasts will have
to make-do without his company in the future.
1 would make them feel welcome whenever they came here,
he said. 1 got to meet a lot of
people. Someone last year sent me back some
pictures and slides Im sure
will be collectors items.
in the States were passing the word
that this was the place to come, he said. It was
getting a good reputation -its really
too bad it has to close.
As operator at Dorval, it was Chartrands job,
to examine passing trains for problems which
mechanical checking devices might miss, such
overheating, shifting loads and dragging parts.
That job now
will be done by the switcher at Beaconsfield Station. Another operator
is station­ed along
the CP line in Vaudreuil.
1 was the first checkpoint for trains as they
out of the yards, he said. Now theyll
be checked
about five mi les farther down the tra­
If something should happen at Dorval, someone
will have
to be sent out to fix the problem, he said.
Chartrand stated the operators job
will probably
not resurface at Dorval when the new integrated
is built because a fence would divide the
two tracks and the operator often has to give
orders on
both sides of the line.
has been assigned to another station
in Montreal.
(Ed J.P. Chartrand is a member and former Dir­
of the CR HA.)
1981 versus JUNE 1984.
Series Classification
1981 1984 OiUerence
1400,432 Locomotives 17 0 -17
1898,899 Locomotives 2 0 -2
1961-1965 Locomotives 5 0 -5
6300-6306 Locomotives (remanulaClurf11) 0 7 +7
6501-6871 Locomotives 123 109 -14
6900-6920 LAC locomotives (NOle I) 0 21 +~1
8558 Locomotive 0 -1
TOTAL 148 137 -11
5205 Ballery Charger 1 1 0
Electric Generator 3 3 0
Steam Generator 87 67 -20
TOTAL 108 64 -44
600·617 8aggage 16 15 -1
Baggage Express 0 -4
Baggage/Coach 4 -3
93005 Baggage/Coach (rllmanuraClureOl 4 +4
9475·9488 Baggage/Dormitory 14 10 -4
9600-9674 Baggage 67 31 -38
TOTAL 108 64 -44
100,29 Coach 28 28 -1
32·376 Turbo Equipment 27 0 -27
Cafe/Bar/Lounge 27 0 -27
Coach·Champlaln 4 0 -4
321-376 Tempo Equipment 25 25 0
Dinelle 11 0 -11
500-517 Sky·Oome/Coach 18 11 -1
Bullet/Club/Lounge 6 0 -6
650-663 Club Galley 14 12 -2
750-765 Cafe Lounge 16 16 0
Diner/Bar/Lounge 2 0 -2
1062-1089 2 DBA-2Cpmt. Buffet/Lounge 2 0 -2
1090-1099 7Cpl/Buifel/Lounge 2 3 + 1
1100·1105 5·3 Sleeper (Mount) 8 0 -6
1110·n61 4·8·4 Sleeper (E) 52 51 -1
1162·1195 6·6·4 Sleeper (Green) 25 18 -1
1337-1378 Diner 3J 22 -19
1700·1701 4·4·5·1 Sleeper 2 0 -2
24 Roomelles (I) 13 0 -13
2022-2027 10·5 Roomettes (Bay) 6 6 0
10·6 Sleeper (River) 15 0 -15
14·4 Roomette (Falls) 8 0 -6
2125·2149 10·6 Roomettes (River) 15 6 -9
2239-2293 Firsl Class Coach 15 0 -15
2300-2325 Club lounge 19 2 -11
2500·2514 Cale Bar lounge 15 1 -8
2100-2705 Sceneramlc 8 0 -6
3024-3039 Cafe/Coach/lounge 9 8 -1
Cafe Coach 8 54 + 46
LAC Coaches (Nole 2) 0 50 + 50
Coach EM 3 9 +6
5160·5436 Coach (Ice AC) 111 2 -109
5437·5654 Coach EM 141 96 -45
14201·14229 4·8·3· Sleeper (Chat) 29 28 0
14301·14342 4·4·5·1 Sleeper (Manor) 42 42 0
Sleeper (Dome) Park obs. 11 11 0
Diner 18 15 -3
TOTAL 818 511 -241
6000-6006 Railiners·lraitlng +7
6100·6147 Railiners·coach 47 + 47
6200-6351 Rai liners· coach I baggage 24 + 24
9250-9251 Railiners (stored) 2 +2
6000·6475 Railiner equipment 69 0 -69
9020-9309 Railiner eQuipment 11 0 -11
TOTAL 86 78 -8
NOTE 1: LRC locomotives will be increased during 1984 by 10.
2: LRC coaches will be increased during 1984 by 50.
Data analysis and tabulation performed by Transport 2000 Canada (Alberla).
is putting in 11-hour days slogging
back and
forth over a 3.2 kilometre section of moun­
tain railway in northeastern B.C.
The locomotive hauls a computer-packed test car
and three diesel-electric locomotives
with their traction
motors turning.
Its just the same as hauling 30 railway cars as BCRs
new 6,000-horsepower electric
locomotive proves its
power capabilities on the new $500
million crossing of
the Rocky Mountains.
Tumber Ridge branchline, built to serve two
new coal mines, has been operating with diesel-electric
locomotives since completion
of the line last November.
But seven of the super-power electric units, each
costing $2.5 million, take over the run in April.
The first -locomotive 6001 for train buffs -has
been under test almost continuously since November
to ensure optimum setting of its electronic controls.
it is North Americas most sophisticated
railway test car
with onboard computers monitoring
whats going on, including such erudite bits of infor­
mation as the elasticity in the solid-forged steel axles
of the locomotive.
of 6001 will continue until March 25. The
locomotive makes
two runs an hour up a test section
of line in the Wolverine River Valley, to the east of
tunnels piercing the continental divide.
Modifications made to the circuit boards of the unit
are incorporated into the other electrics.
No. 6001 and its sisters
are claimed by General Motors
to be the first of a world-class of heavyweight electrics
for slow-speed service.
BCRs locomotives
will have to haul 98 car trains
at 56
km/h up a 1.2 per cent grade to summit at 359
metres and then roll gently downhill to a junction point
with BCRs existing line between Prince George and
traction motors are so heavily geared down
that towing the locomotives faster than 104 km/h could
cause machinery to fly apart.
Canada is using a new $1 million test car owned
by its
U.S. parent to monitor the performance of 6001.
GM staff project engineer Charles Logston
said in
an interview that there is nothing magical about electric
Typically, A North American diesel can apply only
18 per cent of its weight as drawbar pull without the
wheels slipping.
We have matched 6,000 horsepower
with a sophisticated system of wheel slip control which
gives us better utilization of available power. Four
electrics can do the work of six diesels.
Special thanks to our contributors this month:
• Norris Adams
• Mervyn Green
-Fred Angus
Lon Marsh
CP Rail News -Keeping Track
-CN Movin
-Expo 86
other sources as credited
C.R.H.A. .
Pacific Coast Division
Restoration work on steam locomotive 473 was
slow during the summer of 1984 but picked up
during the fall.
Some members have also been
working on the restoration of Fraser Mills Station
at Blue Mountain Park in Coquitlam. Roof repairs
are completed and some painting has been done.
has progressed sufficiently on the station
to permit the Division to move its archival mat­
into the building.
Calgary & Southwestern Division
The third annual Great Cranbrook Caper
was held during the 1984 Labour Day weekend.
84 Caper included a Saturday dinner in the
solarium car
River Rouge. Some members then
slept in the business car no. 19. The
morning the group visited the CP Rail facilities
which included a
tour of the roundhouse, the
rip track, the
auxiliary train and a view of SD40-2
no. 5648 being turned
for them.
At Fort Steele, the park personnel opened up
their stored equipment which included the four-wheel parlour car which
formerly was the private
property of the Duke of Sutherland. Their little
0-4-4 tank engine was steamed up and it hauled
a single ex-British Railways Mark 1 Coach.
The usual meals
and socializing followed back
on board the 1929 Trans
Canada Limited. Every­
one enjoyed the Caper and plans call
for another
in 1985!
Grand River Division
The Grand River Division was formed from a
of Cambridge and area rail enthusiasts
some four years ago as an organization dedicated
to establishing a rail museum in this area. In our
first years, we were content to remain as a social
group holding
monthly meetings, but late in 1982,
commitment was made to move the former
CPR Guelph station to the south end of Gait-Cam­
bridge and
we were suddenly thrust into the
museum business!
Said station is indeed on our new
site, albeit in a few thousand pieces,
but action
resumed last Spring
to complete the reconstruction.
We have an ex Department of Transport bus­
iness car on site, car 0-100 which once graced the
1939 Royal Train and
have also, a varied collection
of rail artifacts which should create a most ade­
quate display in the newly opened museum. Moves
are also afoot to acquire other rollinq stock, in-
eluding locomotives about which more can be said
at a later date. In addition, we are hoping to gain
use of a small portion of a disused CNR branchline
our site with hopes for a wider expansion in the
The area surrounding Cambridge has always
been rich in rail interest and tradition. We have
been developing a Division newsletter we call the
Drawbar (presently issued quarterly) over the
past year; and
it is hoped that in the future this
can convey some of this history and also, present
rail happenings. Our membership
is obviously
strongest in local representation,
but we have
members from much farther afield, indeed, across
North America. Our annual dues are ten dollars
for an individual and fifteen for family.
We invite rail enthusiasts from any area to par­
ticipate and
contribute to our projects. We can
be reached at PO Box 603, Cambridge, Ontario,
Thanks to Rick Mannen, G. R. Division Editor,
For This Info.
Beginning Saturday, May 18th, the Royal Hudson
will operate five days per week -Wednesday through
Sunday –
to the final excursion on Sunday, Sep­
tember 15th. The Royal Hudson will also operate
on the
following holiday Mondays:
May 20;
July 1; August 5; September 2
Hudson/Return excursion fares
for 1985
are as follows:
Seniors (65 plus) $10.00
Youths (12-18) $10.00
Children (2-11) $8.00
In the months
of May and June
were offering special Royal Hudson/
return group rates
(minimum 25
people per group)
Children: $12.00 Seniors/
$7.00 $8.00
The spectacular Royal Hudson/MV Britannia
Combination trips (Train-Boat and Boat-Train)
will operate as follows: Royal Hudson/MV Britannia fares
for 1985 are:
Adults: $34.00
Seniors (65 plus) $26.00
Youths (12-18) $26.00
Children (5-11) $17.00
Departure times
are as follows:
Royal Hudson departs B.C. Railway (1311
West 1st Street,
North Vancouver) at 10:30 a.m.
MV Britannia departs Harbour Ferries North
(foot of Denman Street, Vancouver) at 9:30 a.m.
The Royal Hudson returns
to the station at
3:55 p.m.; the MV Britannia returns to Harbour
Ferries at
4:30 p.m.
Toronto & York Division
Restoration work on ex-CP business car no.
23 progressed well during the summer
of 1984.
The Division obtained the assistance
of 3 students
hired under the Career Orientated Student Em­
ployment Program. Some of the work performed
incl uded removal
of damaged wood interior; re­
moval of paint from the rear railing; and the re­
moval of brass car strips for refinishing. The roof
was repaired and the cars exterior repainted.
Anyone interested in visiting the Divisions
museum during 1985 should contact either Joel
Rice. (252-8570)
or Gord Billinghurst (776-0696).
to H. Lowry, T&Y Division for this info.
By town Railway Society:
The 1985 Trackside Guide will be available in
mid-February 1985 and
is expanded again. Now
included with updated listings of 84 edition will
be Sperry Rail Detection Equipment and Preserv­
ed Canadian Locomotives and Transit Equipment
to as stuffed and mounted by the
Guides editorial staff.)
At the time this is being
written, efforts are being made to a complete
of Speno Rail Grinding Equipment as well.
mayor may not appear in the 1985 Guide.
Copies will
be available at $9.75 postage paid
by writing the Society at Dept C, P.O. Box 141,
Station A, Ottawa,
Onto K 1 N 8V1. Copies of
1201 -40 Years Old and Still Going Strong are
still available at $6.00 postage paid. Both books
be ordered together at $14.50 postage paid.
K.D. Moir, Secretary, TrflnSpOrt 2000 . British
Columbia writes to Qclvise that the B.C. group hilS
been registered under the Society Act in the pro­
vince and they are looking for new members.
yone interested should write to him at 4063
St. Georges Ave., North Vancouver B.C. V7N lW7
or call him at 604 . 987-5336.
Alice Macredie of Moose Jaw Sask. writes:
since I became a member of the Canadian
oad Historical Association; 1975·76. I have
en looking forward to visiting the railway mus­
(Delson). I was anxious to see the Hays Build­
the reception area and archival storage area.
I was
duly impressed to see the huge Van Horne
desk alo
ng with many photos, when we first en­
tered this fine old station building.
The Model Ra
ilway setup there was about the
biggest one I have ever seen; and I was most taken
ith the efficiency of its multiple operation and the
work that goes into creating such a display. The
summer students on duty showed great enthusi­
asm in
taking us by the tramway to the large build­
ing c
ontaining the locomotive and passenger car
The size of this display is impressive and
Id forgotton how enormous some of the steam
were. I was most conscious of the
andeur and magnificence of the Royal Hudson
as we walked alongside it and similar giants on
the other side of us. Jim Patterson is a good guide
and his wife Marion also knows quite a lot about
railway equipment. I felt privileged to have this
& Membership Services man for CRHA
taking time to see that a member from Saskatche­
wan would be able to see the Museum properly,·
I was also impressed with the large quantity and
the quality of other equipment, passenger cars,
business cars,
cabooses, freight cars, a rotary snow­
plow, early diesel equipment, etc. as well as the
area of streetcar and equipment interurban cars.
• • NOTE:
The writer had corresponded with
Jim Patterson, our Membership Services Man.
Jim with his wife Marion took time to provide
transportation to and from the museum and to
guide her through the museum.
84-Daniel Marnell, 6256 Camino Largo, San
Diego Ca 92120 U.S.A. would like to pur­
chnse out-of·
print or little known texts re­
to Canadian Railway History. All
letters will be answered. Please state the
title, condition and price of the material.
84-Juan Silva, S. del Carril, 1880, 3000, Santa
Fe Argentina is looking for information con­
thrasher equipment manufactured
by the Waterloo Manufacturing Company
Waterloo Onto He is interested in copies
of catalogues or publications concerning
this equipment. Mr. Silva at one time op­
erated one of these thrashers on a farm. He
also has worked as a locomotive engineer
on the Argentine Santa Fe Railway.
June 15, 1985 will be members day at the Can­
adian Ra
ilway Museum. The museum will feature
special train operation, special equipment disp·
lays not normally available for photography and
other surprises too. Keep this date in mind and
plan to join us for members day 1985 at St. Con­
stant P.O.
Just before this issue went to press we learned
of the death of Gordon Small at the Glasgow
Western Infirmary in Scotland on December 18
1984. C.R.H.A. members will remember
Mr. Small as the designer of the locomotive
JOHN MOLSON now at the Canadian Rail­
Museum. Mr. Smalls work in drawing the
plans for this locomotive of the 1840 period will
be greatly appreciated. Our sympathies
go to his wife Lena and to his many friends.
Engines 381, 151 and 152 of the B.C. Hydro Railway pulling W8SI Turn No. I, the Valley Freight up the long incline of
Scott Hill after leaving South Westminster. Note all the salety measures· whistle indication sign, lIashing lights and locom·
otive ditch Jights. This is the old B.C. Electric interurban right-ol-way where, in days gone by, on8 could see trains of last.
heavy interurban cars bound lor Chilliwack.

Demande en ligne