Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 331 1979

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 331 1979

Canadian Rail a

This is the Elgin & Havelock #1
with Arthur Coates, fireman, and
Le Baron Dimock, engineer, as
photographed in 1914. Photo
courtesy Major C. W. Anderson
Collection No. 2541.
While the exact date of this
photo is unknown, it is of the Elgin &
Havelock Rai.lway and was
taken at the Intervale Bridge
which was filled in during 1910.
The locomotive was the E&H,
second No.2 and was built by
the Manchester Locomotive Works
in 1875. She came to the E&H
via the Intercolonial ex No. 49
in 1903 and was scrapped in
1918. Photo courtesy Major C.W.
Anderson. Co 11 ecti on No. 2270
ISSN 0008-4875
Published monthly by The Canadian
Railroad Historical Association
P.O. Box 22, Station B
Montreal Quebec Canada H3B 3J5
EDITOR: M. Peter Murphy
LAYOUT: Michel Paulet
L. M. Unwin, Secretary
60-6100 4th Ave. NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 5Z8
D. E. Stoltz, Secretary
P. O. Box 141, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 8Vl
R. Keillor, Secretary
P. O. Box 1006, Station A, Vancouver
British Columbia V6C 2Pl
C. K. Hatcher, Secretary
P. O. Box 6102, Station C, Edmonton
Al berta T5B 2NO
R. Ballard, Sr., Secretary
300 Cabana Road East, Windsor,
Ontario N9G lA2
J. C. Kyle, Secretary
P. O. Box 5849, Terminal A, Toronto
Ontario M5W lP3
Peter Warwick, Secretory
P.O. Box 593
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2R 6W8

The Elgin.~nd Havelock Railwciys locomotive No .• 1 photographed
at Petitcodiac Station in 1903. Built in 1875 for the I~ter­
.c010nial by the Manchester Locomotive Co·mpany she came to the
E&H in ·1903. Photo courtesy Major C~W .AndersonCollection.
B,Y Ken Saunders
photographs and research assistance
courtesy Major C.Warren Anderson.
It was a hot, dusty, sweat-streaked morning in late
summer when Thomas Collins from Liverpool, England, went over
the edge and chopped his way through a wooden door to get at
Marry-Anne McAuley with the axe.
It was Aug. 20, 1906, and 88-year-old Millie Goddard of
Elgin remembers the day well and with some regret. If I only
hadnt gone swimming I would have seen that Collins fella come
down to the station looking for the train.
Millie Goddard was a 16-year-old school girl at the time,
employed part-time by the Elgin and Havelock Railway to sell
tickets and help around the Elgin station.
On that hot day in August, while she debated whether to
take some time to go swimming with her friends, Collins (some
say he was drunk, some say he was demented, some say he was
innocent) was murdering the 52-year-old sister of New Ireland,
Albert County, priest Rev. Edward J. McAuley, who happened to
have been serving his Frederiction Road parish that day.
Rev. McAuley would die a mere six months later, and New
Ireland would begin the swift decline which has left nothing
behind 70 years later, but aging memories and a cemetery.
The bloody deed done, Collins headed down off Collier
Mountain for Elgin, 10 miles or so away by way of Coleman
Corner, then Churchs Corner. He was looking for a train
ride to freedom on the Prong.
But Mrs. Goddard recalls, the train was not in when a
feverish Collins arrived, so he struck out on foot along the
track to Pollett River (Forest Glen) and Petitcodiac.
Collins was later captured (at St. George) and hanged,
the only man to be executed in Albert County, but that one
day in the long railway career of Mrs. Goddard still stands
out in her memory.
Mrs. Goddard had started ·werking at the station that
year, leaving school with the teachers permission for a
couple of hours each day when the train was due to arrive
from Havelock and Petitcodiac.
For the next 49 years she worked at the station, perched
on the side of a hill by the road to Goshen and Anagance.
That hill has new houses on it now.
She became the station agent and stayed on to watch the
freightage gradually diminish, forcing the railway company to
slash the schedule from six days per week down to three days
per week and, finally, to one day per week.
Then, in 1955, a group of government appointees, the
board of transport commissioners, called hearings, listened to
petitions and, not surprisingly, declared that the Prong was a
needless expense that had to go. .
The loss of running the division to the railway out­
weighs the loss and inconvenience to the public, the judge­
ment read.
And, in a burst of mixed metaphor, We can readily
appreciate the feelings of the opponents. Losing their rail­
way line is somewhat akin to losing an old friend but there
comes a time when it is necessary to prune out the dead limbs
from the tree.
The Prong had been pruned.
The iron rails, originally laid way back in 1874 when
Albert County was bustling, and businessman needed a quick
way to get lumber from the many Pollett River mills to the
marketplace, were unceremoniously ripped up.
The station was loaded on a flat car and trundled off
to Moncton.
The dust settled on an era.
Railway Agitation
The idea for constructing a railway from Petitcodiac
into Elgin had its birth well over 100 years ago. In 1860 the
old Intercolonial Railway (as it was to be known following
declaration of the British North America Act in 1867) from
Saint John to Moncton and beyond was completed. One of the
most prosperous points on that line was Petitcodiac, where a
lot of lumbering activity converged.
Sawmills on the Pollett River, the Hayward Brook and the
North River shipped their products from the Petitcodiac station
to terminal ports at Saint John and Point du Chene.
In the early 1870s, Petitcodiac was considered to be the
banner shipping station on the line and its shipments were
more than double those of either Moncton, Sussex or Hampton.
In the words of the late J. E. Humphreys of Petitcodiac,
For several years prior to 1875 there was a certain amount of
agitation for the construction of a branch railway line to
connect Petitcodiac with Pollett River and Elgin and possibly
extend it to the Bay of Fundy at Herring Cove or Salmon River.
Anyone familiar with the terrain between Elgin and the
Bay of Fundy wont be surprised that the extension was not
attempted. Instead a turn-table at Elgin station swung the
locomotives around for the return trip.
A line was built, however, from Salisbury through Albert
County to Hillsborough and Albert, completed in 1877.
In 1874 the Petitcodiac-Elgin Railway Co. was incor_
porated and began j~ lay track 14 miles to Elgin a thriving
village supported by farming and lumbering.
The community is surrounded ,by hills, including Gowland
Mountain to the east, and Boyd Mountain to the south. Tumbling
between them is the Pollett River, which vast quantities
of lumber was driven during the last century and a half.
Remembers the Prong
According to Mrs. Frances Stewart, 93, Elgin was settled
by the Stewart clan following the disastrous Miramichi Fire in
October, 1825, in which some 200 people died. Three Stewart
brothers headed south and began clearing land for farming.
Elgin Petitcodiac and Havelocks origional Number 1 at Havelock
Station on October 14, 1885. Built by Dubs Locomotive Company
in 1873 she had 16 X 22 cylinders and 60 drivers. The loco­
motive was ex-Intercolonial # 29 in 1873 and ex-#54 in 1875.
It is interesting to note that the structure is really a house
which at that time was also used as a station. A new station
was built by the CN in 1932 and closed finally in 1969. Photo
courtesy Major C.W.Anderson Collection.
CANADIAN 234 R A I l..
Mrs. Stewart married into the family in 1902 when she
became Mrs. Will Stewart at the age of 17. She was born Frances
Garland on Gowland Mountain, a daughter of Stephen Garland.
When she was seven years old, her parents home burned and the
family moved to the village, where her father entered the hotel
business in a building which is now the residence of Mr. and
Mrs. Connie Geldart.
Mrs. Stewart still remembers her chilhood years on Gowland
Mountain. We had a lovely big home there. She cant, however,
recall what caused the fire. I think it was in the spring of
the year because mother had all her blankets and everything
strung up to dry on the verandah.
But she remembers when the Prong was as much a part of
village life as the general store.
Charles A. Hallett of Petitcodiac, a clever young civil
engineer was the chief promoter of the branch line into Elgin.
The terrain is hilly between the two communities and the
trackbed wound considerably, crossing the wagon road six times.
The line was completed and opened in 1876 with a celebration
that included a free ride on flat cars with seats mounted on them
for the residents of Elgin. They left the village for
Petitcodiac in the morning and were back in the afternoon.
The writings of Mr. Humphreys indicate that the private
railway companys first engineer was Ashford (Ash) Kennedy,
who handled the locomotives for one year. He became a very
prominent Canadian railway man and died in Florida in 1927.
First conductor was Alexander Stewart from Dalhousie.
A civil engineer who located and laid out the Elgin line and
supervised its construction. Mr. Stewart later was to super­
vise the building of 2,000 miles of track through the Rocky
Mountains for an American railway firm.
The Petitcodiac-Elgin Railways first locomotive was
purchased in 1876 from the Intercolonial Railway. It was
built by Dubs Locomotive Co. in December 1873 and was scrapped
in 1903.
The first station building in Elgin was used as a
dwelling, an office and a warehouse. Mrs. Goddard recalls
that the tenants who rented the apartment paid S3 per month.
She said that the structure burned sometime prior to the
first world war and that another building was hauled by
rail from Moncton to replace it.
She remembers selling tickets and dolng the other
station agent business out of a passenger car on a siding
for eight months before the new station arrived. She
believes the fire which levelled the first station started
in a nearby pile of lumber.
Mrs. Goddard said passenger fare to Petitcodiac at the
time was 50 cents, 70 cents return. She was earning 57 a month
as station agent.
In 1882, the Petitcodiac-Elgin Railway Co. expanded to
become the Elgin, Petitcodiac and Havelock Railway. Con­
struction of a 12-mile line to Havelock was begun and com­
pleted in 1885. On Sept. 7 that year, a picnic was held at
Killams Mills, one of the communities served by the railway,
to celebrate the event.
The new branch was operated in conjunction with the line
to Elgin by the same train crew. Arthur H. Robinson, known to
everyone as Pidge, was a conductor on the Elgin branch since
1882 and continued as such on the Havelock branch until his
retirement on May 1, 1929.
As Mr. Humphreys wrote, He was an exceptionally good
natured and obliging official.
Pidge became a familiar and obliging friend to many
hunters from various parts of the country. These men tra­
velled regularly to Havelock by rail to hunt the New Canaan woods
to the north and west of Havelock, considered to be the
best hunting area in the Maritimes.
Pidge Was First
One of the hunters Took a picture of his train at Petit­
codiac, with Pidge standing on the platform beside it, and for
one or more years it was prominently displayed in the annual
sportsmans show in Boston.
According to Pidge s son, George, now a resident of
Riverview, Pidge Robinson took the first train into Havelock.
Though he had been born and lived in Elgin, when the Havelock
branch was completed, Pidge moved to that community to settle.
The train left Havelock every day at 8:30 a.m. and, barring
mishap, returned at 4: 30.
Engineer at the time was LeBaron Dimock, a native of
St. Martins who had travelled to Havelock to work for the
railway. Two of his sons, Gerald and Leland, still reside
Gerald Dimock said that mishaps on the little railway
line were more common than not. He said the company never
had sufficient funds to keep the tracks in good repair.
Almost every day, he said, the locomotive would ride off the
rails and into the mud, though it never tipped over. The
train crew would then spend a couple of hours getting the
engine back onto the track.
Mr. Dimock said the train would go 25 to 30 miles per
hour, a lot faster than it should have been going. It was
often said the train wouldnt be running at all if it wasnt
for the couch grass spiking the rails down.
Robinson, who worked as a section hand on the line
for awhile when he was young, said the road bed was terrible.
He said that sometimes, when the engine had once more been
derailed, his father would walk five or six miles to Havelock
with two bags of mail on his back. Wages were about $30 a
month, Mr. Robinson said.
The two locomotives were said to be in no better
condition than the track. Mr. Robinson said that LeBaron
Dimock, the engineer worked on those locomotives all hours
of the day and night just to keep them running.
At first the steam engines were fueled with wood and
often the train had to stop while its crew debarked into the
woods to cut enough fuel to get to the next station. In the
winter, when snow was being pushed, sometimes miles of wooden
fences would disappear into the firebox, as well as woodpiles
of farmers who had the bad sense or bad luck to pile their
wood handy the rail line. Restitution was usually made,
Snow was a real problem for the little rail company.
Mr. Robinson said he still remembers May 26, 1926, when his
father left Havelock with the train and did not return until
13 days later. That morning, he said, the snow was to the
top of the wedge plow on the front of the locomotive (six
to eight feet high.)
It took the crew 13 days to get the train to Elgin,
27 miles away, and back. When they finally made it back to
… Havelock, Mr. Robinson. :5.9id, .the·crew· . ..hod alr~ady put. their.
time in for a month. They laid off for one month and the
CNR, which owned the line at that time, had to bring two
additional crews from Moncton to keep the train running.
Mr. Dimock said there were some winters when the
branch line shut down, the snow would get so deep they
couldnt do anything. After banks had been built up on
each side of the track, the plow was useless. He said he can
remember up to 25 men being hired to shovel the snow
off the tracks over the tops of banks.
Though there doesnt seem to be much hard information
down on paper about the Elgin-Havelock Railway, as it was
later named, a few stories remain which, while they might
not detail the facts, at least capture the spirit of the
One of these concerns an early 20th century local
character known as Alex McAllister. Alex, who had no
visible means of support, depended largely for his food and
lodging on the generosity of the people of Albert County
and the eastern part of Kings.
Alex was in Petitcodiac one day looking for a means of
transport into Elgin. He approached conductor Pidge Robinson
and asked if he might ride the caboose to his destination.
Pidge, having no doubt been on the receiving end of such
reauests numerous times, said No. Alex, however, waited
until the train was in motion and, without knowledge of the
conductor, climbed aboard the cowcatcher on the front of
the engine.
Jim Shaughnessy of Troy, New York captured CN Locomotive
No. 6218 on a clear night back in the early fifties at
the St. Albans, Vermont station. 6218 saw ~xtensive in
later years in excursion service before entering permanent
retirement. Photo courtesy CRHA Archives, S.S.Worthen
Coll ect ion.
The train arrived in Elgin. The first person Conductor
Robinson encountered on the station platform was Alex
MacAllister, who greeted him thus: Yas, Mr. Robinson. Guess
did get here afore you after all.
On the other hand, free rides with the knowledge of
Pidge Robinson werent unknown. Theres the story of a lady
who arrived at a level crossing just as the Prong came
wheezing along. She was riding in a carriage and the horse
was frightened by the noise and smoke. The train slowed to a
halt, and the conductor appeared on the back platform to offer
the woman and her baby a ride into Elgin. Since it was a very
cold day in December, the woman gratefully accepted.
Furthermore, the residents of Elgin werent shy about
borrowing the E. P. & H. trollies on Sunday ofternoons and
cavorting on the tracks for a time. The trollies were used
b~ the section crews to check the rails and carry out repairs.
One of the lines red-letter periods occured in 1937
when Hollingworth and Whitney shipped more than 1 000 cars
of pUlpwood out of Elgin to the United States. that was a
big year, Mrs. Goddard said. Twenty trucks were hauling
lumber from New Ireland to the Elgin station day and night,
she recalls.
Her recollection is that on a regular basis, 10 carloads
of lumber were shipped out of Elgin per month.
Mr. Robinson said, It was nothing to haul five or six
cars of lumber a day out of Pollett River six days a week,
one of the main suppliers of lumber was the S. H. White saw­
mill at Forest Glen, later owned by F. E. Sayre, Saint John.
Just the tall smokestack remains there today.
Besides lumber, the freight cars carried pulpwood,
Christmas trees, potatoes, grain, livestock, groceries and
clothing. Among regular passengers were the salesmen who
would arrive in Elgin one day, stay at the hotel overnight
and leave on the following days Prong.
Mrs. Stewart recalls carloads of people arriving each
year in Elgin for the annual fair. Her fathers hotel would be
filled. Elgin had a popular race track at that same time
as well.
But the Prong was doomed. The lumber industry in the
Elgin area began to die out and rubber-wheeled transportation
became more popular, more economical and more convenient. In
1918, the line was taken over by the CNR which spent a lot of
money improving the road bed, but was unable to stem the tide.
In 1955 the Elgin tracks were taken up and the stations
unceremoniously carted away. Havelocks fate would have been
similar had it not been for the cement works and the lime
works which still ship their products by rail.
Charles Hallett, who laid the original roadbed and was
the first manager, died young. Amos Killam became owner and
manager and later sold the line to an English company for
Other managers and superintendents have been J. Gills
Jones, A •. Dr Chipman, H. C. Tilley, P. S. Archibald, John M.
Lyons, W. R. Devinish, A. C. Barker, W. N. Ripey, F. Robert­
son, M. Mulgraves, W. E. Robinson, R.B. Graham and Hedley Gunn.
The first station agent in Elgin was Mrs. James Wheaton,
followed by Miss Matilda Robinson, Mrs. W.A. Bovaird, Mrs. R.
M. Robinson, R. B. Graham and Mrs. Goddard.
The first station agent in Elgin was Mrs. James Wheaton,
followed by Miss Matilda Robinson, Mrs. W. A. Bovaird, Mrs. R.
M. Robinson, R. B. Graham and Mrs. Goddard.
I. C. . Station,
The Back Stairs
at I
he Round House
by 5.5. Worthen
The improbable title that you have just finished reading
is yet another book review, here presented to caution you not to
go out and spend your money pointlessly ··on some-thingY0u may~·want,
but not need.
There are good times to write book-reviews, and there
are bad. The worst time is when you have a head-cold with a runny
nose and you have just finished reading a book which you hoped would
be a good, basic reference work and which turned out to be a purely
academic treatise~ Well then, lets begin by referring to some new
books which were very enjoyable reading.
There was a time when books priced at CAN $11.95 were
thought to be overpriced. Not so with The Poetry of Railways,
edited by Samuel Carr and published in 1978 by B.T. Batsford Limited,
4 Fitzhardinge Street, London WI HOAH, United Kingdom. While some
of the poems in this volume have appeared in other railway enthu­
siast publications, it is very satisfying to have them all together
between two covers. One can read and reread such delightful com­
positions as Edna St. Vincent Millays Travel, T.S. Eliots
Skimbleshanks, The Railway Cat and Dante Gabriel Rosettis A Trip
to Paris and Belgium, not to understate the merit of those two famous anonymous
works, Workin on the Railway and The Wreck of
the Six-Wheel Driver, the latter of which communicates better than
theeaually well-known
the eaually well-known anonymous peom The Wreck of the aO. For
pure Nineteenth Century bawdy humour, Thomas Le Brunns nOh, Mr.
Porter is not to be improved upon, but Shigeharu Nakano in the
original and Takamichi Ninomiya and D.J. Enright in the translation
of Locomotive persist in calling the machine he for twenty lines,
despite the petticoat pipe and tender, behind~
Well known Colorado photographers Ronald C. Hill and
David Stanley collaborated last year to produce a fine soft-cover
picture album: Rails in the Northwest: A Contemporary Glimpse,
published by the Colorado Railroad Historical Foundation, Colorado
Railroad Museum, P.O. Box 10, Golden, Colorado, USA 80401, US $9.50
postpaid. While most of the railways in the Pacific Northwest of the
United States are represented, so also is the Alberto-British
Columbia portion of CP RAIL and it is this segment which is of par­
ticular interest here.
After perusing the pictures for the third or fourth time,
you can just hear the critics complaining that there are tao many
CP Roil shots and these are too often identical views. Not ouite so,
in my view. There can be no ouestion that the main line of CP Rail
from Banff, Alberta to North Bend, British Columbia offers the most
spectacular (railway) scenery in North America, bar none. At this
point, I could digress into a series of comparisons of the Fraser­
Thompson Canyons with the Western Pacifics Feather River Canyon,
and so on, but I wont.
None of the views on CP Rail are duplicates. There are
two shots of world-famous Morants Curve near Lake Louise, Alberta,
but the trains and treatment are ouite different.
not to
The auality and reproduction of the photographs is good and
Tunnel shots and late night finals leave me unmoved, but
in the Rockies never fails to be breath-taking and wonderful,
mention artistic.
Mr. R. Tourret of Abingdon, Oxon, United Kingdom has com­
pleted and published the second of the duo of books on Allied
Military Locomotives of the Second World War, entitled United States
Army Transportation Corps Locomotives. The first part, War
Department Locomotives, was reviewed some time ago and, since that
time, Mr. Tourret has written to say that the price of this volume
is four pounds sterling or CAN $11.00.
Baldwin, Lima and Alco all built locomotives for the US ATC
and these engines were distributed all round the world. R.F. Corley
of Scarborough (Toronto), Ontario, verified the information pertaining
to locomotives made or distributed by Canadian builders. This will
certainly be of interest to Canadian locomotive historians and com­
pletes the series most satisfactorily. Orders may be directed to
Mr. R. Tourret, 5 Byron Close, Abingdon, Oxon, OX 14 5PA, United
Kingdom. The price of the second volume is 4.95 pounds stirling
or about CAN $14.00.
Doubleday Canada Limited, 105 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario
M5B lY3 (Miss Carolynne Hastings) are agents for a newall-colour
book published by Octopus Books Limited of London, United Kingdom.
Titled All-Colour World of Trains, the pictures were assembled
under the editorship of Professor J.N. Westwood, who once taught
at McGill University for a time. Canadian railways figure in
Chapter 2, Steam across North America, sandwiched among the US steam.
The picture turns out to be British Columbia Number 2860, ex
Canadian Pacific Railway Hudson of the same number. The calibre of
the total opus can perhaps be estimated from the fact that the
Milwaukee station labelled Chicago is really Milwaukee and the Mallet
2-6-6-2 on page 29 really belongs in Brasil. Then there is that
hokey CP Rail publicity shot of the two DD-GMC road units and assorted
box, hopper and gondola cars protruding from a short tunnel near Port
Coldwell, Ontario. Colourful, but not representative.
In general, the colour pictures are excellently reproduced,
but the subjects are out-of-date (NYC units on the Water-Level
Route; 2-D-2s on the Route Imperiale at Dijon, France and the
Brighton Belle of 1962 on British Railways) and the locales are
But the price is CAN $7.50 and, after all, that answers
for a multitude of sins.
Of more serious import to Canadian railway historians
is Brian J. Youngs book Promoters and Politicians: The North­
Shore Railways in the History of Quebec, 1854-85. (University
of Toronto Press, Toronto-Buffalow-London: no price given.)
Readers of this amply supported project -no less than e~ght
government departments provided funding for the research -will
find that there is a great to-do about the politics, but not
much about the actual construction or social impact of the railway.
Mr. Young refers in most of the 144 pages to a railway which he
says was chartered in April, 1869: The Montreal Colonization
Railway. Colonel Stevens says this railway was chartered but
never built (Montreal Northern Colonization Railway, Yolo 1, p.322)
and Dorman does not mention it at all.
Mr. Young further confuses the railway history of Quebec
in the last portion of the Nineteenth Century by failing to dif­
ferentiate between the Canadian Pacific Railway Company of February
1873 and the Canadian Pacific Railway Company of February 1881;
conclusion proposed by Mr. Young is that the combin­
ation of the North Shore Railway (Quebec to Montreal) and the
Quebec Montreal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway (Montreal to
Ottawaj would provide Quebec with a western gate and thus frus­
trate attempts by Montreal to become the main river port and distri­
bution centre for west-central and southeastern Quebec. Even in the
1880s, such a proposal was quite absurd and history has proven how
wrong such a concept was. But the propostion was widely advanced
in the last three decades of the century by the Quebec politicians
and promoters.
One last query, Mr. Young refers on page 90 to the
Elbow Yale, Steel, Iron and Coal Companyof Wales, from whom
Macdonald bought steel rails. This reviewer recognizes the Ebbw
Yale Steel, Iron and Coal Company of Ebbw Yale, Wales but not
being bilingual (English-Welsh), does not recognize the English­
language ellu
language equivalent of Ebbw as Elbow, although it may well be.
There are times when academic persons ought to be forcibly restrained
from writing books about the history of railways. This is one of them.
Wentworth D. Folkins, the well-known painter of Canadian
railway subjects, old and new, has provided an excellent cover for
Professor Albert Tuckers new book, Steam Into Wilderness, the
story of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario/Ontario Northland
Railway/Ontario Northland Transportation Commission. Professor
Tuckers book, albeit politically orientated, at least sugar-coats
or midly derides the itchy-fingered politician, who meddled in the
affairs of the railway. On the other hand, Professor Tucker is not
backward in assigning responsibility for some of the remarkable
gaffes perpetrated during the building and subsequent operation of
the line.
It is safe to say that, without the mineral wealth dis­
covered during and after the completion of the North Bay -Cochrane
section, the ONR would certainly not be what it is today. It is
also very easy for critics to cry Monopoly after a glance at ONTC
trains, buses and telecommunications, but the only areas where a
significant argument can be adduced are urban and, in one case,
In his conclusion, Professor Tucker is refreshingly honest
about the cost of operation of the ONR/ONTC to the Ontario taxpayer,
but I am not convinced that the Ontarians of Ignace, Long Lac and
Kenora feel any affinity whatever w~th the regional function (or
importance) of the ONTC. The ONR/ONTC still persists as a corpor­
ation managed by politicians, for politicians. And these politicians
still slip and trip, failing time and again to distinguish between
the form of the state and the form of a successful business enterprise,
to paraphrase Professor Tucker.
Wentworth Folkins painting of ONR 2-8-2 Number 310 and
train of loaded pulpwood racks presents a much pleasanter.picture.
Oh~ The most important part of the review: the vital
statistics. Title: Steam Into Wilderness, by Albert Tucker,
Fitzhenry & Whiteside Limited, 150 Lesmill Road, Don Mills, Ontario
M3B 2T5; soft-cover, coloured; 215 pp. & index; 81 photos & maps;
CAN $9;95 (W.H. Smith).
When an established author writes a book about an old
subject, the great -and silent -majority of readers imme­
diately wonder why he has done it. Old subject? Well,
perhaps. But the particular old subject which is the topic
of this new book suddenly has developed facets not hitherto
It is now 1979. Surely all of us have read about the
epoch-making events of 1869 in Utah, United States of America,
which were celebrated with such enthusiasm on the occasion of
the centenary of the completion of this continents first
transcontinental railroad. This early accomplishment might
be said to be the culmination of a series of remarkable accom­
plishments, associated with railroads. And these victories
are the subject of Professor John F. Stovers new book IRON
ROAD TO THE WEST: American Railroads in the 1850s.
Professor Stover is no Johnny-come-lately to the art of
recording railroad history and transportation development in
the United States. Given this fact, it is disturbing to find
that the author implies that the Atlantic and St. Lawrence
Railroad of 1853, from P~rtland, Maine to the International
Boundary, was concieved in the State of Maine, was built to
the absurd gauge of 5 feet 6 inches, was nurtured by United
States entrepreneurs and had little or no impact on the deve­
lopment of railroads in eastern North America in the decade
following 1850.
Just when the reader is beginning to enjoy himself tho­
roughly, he comes to the section of Professor Stovers book on
railroad gauges, and there were a few in the 1850s: Five
principle track widths were used north of the Mason and Dixon
Line, not to mention four south of that imaginary line. But
explanation of the origin of these gauges there is none, which
is a pity.
The Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada, which arose
from the ashes of the St. Lawrence & Atlantic/Atlantic & St.
Lawrence Railroads, is scarcely mentioned by Professor Stover.
The Great Western Railway Company, under whose aegis the
triumph of the first Suspension Bridge over the gorge of the
Niagara River was achieved in 1855, is utterly ignored, except
as the bridge related to an early antecedent of the New York
Central System.
True, Professor Stovers book is about American rail­
roads, but achievements such as these surely merit at least a
passing reference.
Henry V. Poors Manual of the Railroads of the United
States for the years 1868-1901 is widely used as a reference;
the years 1848-1861 -much closer to the period considered by
the book, are described with reference to the American Rail­
road Journal, a predecessor publication. Unfortunately, some
critical statements in the book are but single-sourced.
While Professor Stovers book will be of use to railway
historians -and these latter should be fully aware of the weak
points in the work -this reader/reviewer regrets that more
attention was not given to confirmation of the important
details on which correct conclusions must inevitably be based.
IRON ROAD TO THE WEST: American Railroads in the 1850s.
Stover, John H. ISBN 0-231-040-16-6 1978
Columbia University Press, New York, NY USA
266 pp., 28 b&w illustrations, maps and tables.
US $14.95
The hearts of hundreds of electric railway enthusiasts
were gladdened lately when not two, but three booKs about
urban and suburban -and with a stretch of the imagination,
interurban -electric railways appeared. Two of the books
were on the same subject. The third was a history by itself.
Let us first take a look at one of the Heavenly Twins.
Alan R. Lind has distinguished himself by composing FROM
HORSECARS TO STREAMLINERS: An Illustrated History of the St.
Louis Car Company.
It is a wonderful volume. In addition to the des­
criptions, illustrations, diagrams and so on pertaining to
electric streetcars and interurban cars, Mr. Lind also enter­
tains the reader with tales of subway cars, trolleybuses, gas
buses, trucks and areoplanes. Also included are gas-electric
railway cars, diesel-electric locomotives and streamlined
passenger train eauipment, such as that purchased by the Union
Pacific Railroad for its City of Portland and City of Los
Angeles, all manufactured by St. Louis Car. A veritable
cornucopia of railway rolling stock and motive power!
But there is more. In this large-format, hardbound
book are job-lists of cars built, operating data on many
cars, car dispositions, pages reproduced from Car Company
catalogues and an extensive bibliography. The price? An
incredibly low US S2.50.
From Horsecars to Streamliners
An Illustrated History of the St. Louis Car Company
By Alan R. Lind
As George Gobel used to say, You cant hardly get
that kind no more: And, indeed, you hardly cant:
the St. Louis Car Company. Lind, Alan R. 1978
Transport History Press, P.O. Box 201, Park Forest,
Ill. 60466 USA; 400 pp., 400 b&w illustrations,
maps, lists, dispositions, etc. US S22.50
And then? And then? And then I thought about
another book on this same subject which had appeared in
1978. And the only reason that this review appears after
the review on Mr. Linds book is that I could not resolve
the problems linked with running the reviews in two vertical
columns on the same page. Let it be said at once that it
would be hard to beat Andrew D. Youngs and Eugene F.
published by Howell-North Books.
First of all, it is profusely illustrated and the
illustrations are all good, are tastefully arranged and
complement the text admirably. As far as the facts in the
two books are concerned, they have to be identical, with a few
minor variations in interpretation. This reviewer was
intrigued by the repetition in 1972 of a circumstance which
nearly killed St. Louis Car in 1933. In 1933, the Company was
saved by the PCC streetcar design; in 1972, there wasnt
a new design like that available.
Words of praise must, as usual, be tendered to Howell­
North Books of Berkeley, Cal. for the excellent production
job which they complete so regularly. But Messrs. Young and
Provenzo created the text and chose the pictures and
their success is their readers joy.
Provenzo, Eugene F., Howell-North Books, 1050 Parker
Street, Berkeley, Cal. 94710 USA; 1978. 8t x 11,
302 pp., illus. US $16.50
The third in this mini-series is another book by Alan
Lind, Chicago Surface Lines: An Illustrated History.
Appealing to a more specialized (perhaps), but no less
enthusiastic readership, this is the second edition of the
work, embellished with dozens of new photographs and 16
additional pages. Happy to relate, the price is still US
$17.50. And, these days, that, in itself, is a major
A wonderful and impressive assortment of electric
streetcars is presented to the wide-eyed reader: Pullmans,
Nearsides (Muzzleloaders), Big Brills, Sedans and
immortal PCCs clatter and clang past the readers eyes.
There are all kinds of work cars, lunatic cars, mail cars,
crane cars, garbage cars, morgue cars, hearse cars and –
would you believe -mourners cars~ Thousands of cars
trundle down hundreds of streets in the Windy City and
environs, in the 30-year period considered by this book.
In addition to the more-than-500 photographs on mo~e­
than-400 pages -8t x 11, of course -there are scale­
plans of cars, detailed track and route maps and compre­
hensive car rosters. Early buses, gas and trolley, are also
Yes, it is astonishing that Mr. Linds book is still
priced at US S17.50.
At this point, you may have exhausted your streetcar­
book budget, but you have certainly enhanced your library~
CHICAGO SURFACE LINES: An Illustrated History. Lind, Alan R.
Transport History Press, P.O. Box 201, Park Forest,
Ill. 60466 USA; 1978. 400 pp., 400 b&w illustrations,
plans, maps, diagrams, tables, etc. US S17.50
re-arrangement of transcontinental service by VIA Rail
Canada whereby The Canadian would again operate to and
from Montreal, that equipment had to be otherwise deadheaded from
Toronto to Montreal for repairs, and that said equipment did not
mix with conventional ex-CN equipment. Such is not the case, for
the situation is the other way around. Since last October, ex-CP Manor
sleepers have been operating from Montreal to Winnipeg on the
Supercontinental, then on the Canadian to Vancouver. Likewise, an ex-CP
Chateau car operates on the Canadian from Toronto to Winnipeg,
then on the Supercontinental via Jasper to Vancouver. At the outset,
the conventional braking system on the CN cars was not compatible
with that on the CP stainless-steel equipment. Modifications have
been made on a large number of CN sleepers to cope with the summer
traffic. Of course, the CN Daynighter cars were modified some
time ago, as they have been operating on the Canadian between
Toronto and Vancouver since last Fall.
Sarnia and Port Huron is 88 years old.
St. Paul, Alberta with RDC 6356 doing the honours. D.Wayne Brow
photographed the last run and was kind enough to
submit a copy to the Business Car for presentation.

entering Castlegar, with the GOOD TIMES 79 EXPRESS.
As she closed out her 5000 mile tour of B.C., Alberta,
Washington and Idaho the famous train trod many miles of track
never seen by a 4-6-4.
going through their extensive photo files ond up-dating
the index system. Lorne Perry, Manager of Visual Comm­
unications was kind enough to send along two examples of just what
has been turning up. The first photo was indexed as Lower Arch
Bridge but in fact shows a CN Extra passenger train crossing from
the US to Canada hauled by locomotive 5600. The second shot was
taken and indexed as the new CN station and express terminal in
Hamilton, Ontario but includes a CN ten-wheeler # 1229 on a pass­
enger train. Mr. Perry has promised to send any other interesting
finds along to Canadian Rail for presentation to our members. Our
thanks to CN and in particular to Lorne Perry and his staff for
remembering Canadian Rail.
operation of their 7.25 k~ northeast LRT line. The cu
rrent 14 arti~u1ated ~ors ore usuolly operated in two_ c
or trains, with on overage weekday ridership of 18,000 compated
~ith 12,000 predicted before the opening of the line. Its carrying
capacity WOi w~ll-tested during Klondike Doys and t.he XI COIll_onweolth
Ga_es in July and August 1978; the highest doily ridesship was a
chieved when 69,000 people were carried to GOllles events by 14
(ETS Press Release)
~oor to half 0 million dollars. The line fro~ Winnipeg
to the U.S. Boarder at Elllerson, Han. was out of service
for two eevks, with a mile and a holf of track and two bridges
completely sub~erged. Some traffic wos re-routed via North Portol,
Sask., however the Portal Sub. suffered floadin~ at Roche Percee and
hod to be clo.ed for a few days.
(CP Roil News)
pIon covering ~orketing strategies, opErational changes
and capitol require_ents. In conjunction with government,
business and labor, a joint advisory council will be established.
(F inonciol Post)
Only a few cars of the BARs fleet of 1,500 now re .. oin.
(The 470)
we reported the sale of nine pec cors bock to Cleveland
by the Toronto Transportation Co~~ission. However, the
Montrllal Star now report$ thot the corIO have been token out of
service as they are so rusty. Toronto kept 40 of the sa~e _odel
and continues to use the~. Angry Cleveland officials soy the
33_year old cars may be beyond repair. Cleveland transit hod intended
to use the cars until they received new ones fro~ Italy, but tho
latter are not expe~ted to orrive for another two years.
Members of the Alberto Pioneer Roilwoy Association and the Edmonton
8ronch of the C.R.H.A. have been busy in recent yeo IS ot their new
Museu~ site in Ed.onton, Alberto. Paul McGee sent along this photo
of APRA No. 1392, a 1913 product of Hontreal Locomotive Works under
steam on the museum operating track. 1392 is classed 0$ 0 H-6-g
cnd bore builders number 52649. Our thonk~ to Paul McGee for the
photo and to CANADIAN NATIONAL STEAH POWER for the caption info.

Demande en ligne