Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 301 1977

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 301 1977

The mysterious
eight ·~heelers
S.S. Worthen.
hen you had to push and lift and throw shovel full after
shovel full of indifferent and bad coal into the insatia­
ble, incandescent interior of the locomotives firebox,
human endurance was such that the fireman of a steam
engine could keep on doing the job for about seventy-odd
miles on freights and about double that amount on passen­
ger trains. That was why it was necessary to space divis­
ional points at appropriate distances along the railway.
At these points, the substitution of fresh motive power
was optional; the replacement of the worn-out engine crew
was mandatory.
Among other things that disappeared when the diesel-electric lo­
comotive arrived was the traditional divisional point. Some of them,
admittedly, were retained, but many of them, like Richmond, Quebec
and Island Pond, Vermont, on the old St. Lawrence and Atlanticl At­
lantic and St. Lawrence Railway, from Longueuil opposite Montreal to
Portland, Maine, gradually decayed and disappeared. The imposing
stone or brick stations, indicative of the importance of the divis-
ional point, were generally retained, but the wooden freight sheds,
the roundhouse and the locomotive servicing facilities were usually
demolished and the land thus made available was leased to local real
estate developers.
This is about the way it was at Island Pond, Vermont, when the
Sherbrooke and Berlin Subdivisions of Canadian Notional Railways (or
Grand Trunk, if you prefer) were dieselized. The first large struc-
ture to disappear was the old ice-house; after that, the remaining
freight sheds were raised and, shortly after that, the roundhouse was
torn down. And that brings us to the starting point for this story.
Among the old books and papers which are invariably discovered
in various nooks and crannies in such ancient buildings was the lo­
comotive foremans log-book, from the time when there was but one
kind of locomotive and that was the kind that was powered by steam.
In this log-book, there were a number qf regular entries, but there
were also a few irregular entries, such as the pencilled notation
Hoo-Doo beside the arrival time of Canadian National Railways en-
Mill of the Warner Sugar Refining Company, BIN 3105, air and steam
brake, outshopped in 1920 by the Lima Locomotive Works, Incorporated
of Lima, Ohio, U.S.A. Courtesy Mr. P.E.Percy .
~white flags flying, came clanking off the Sorel SiD at St. Lambert,
Quebec, on its way to Turcot Yard, across the Victoria Bridge on the
Montreal side of the St. Lawrence River. The action was photographed
by Association member Mr. A.W.Leggett of St. Lambert, Quebec.
.I •

gine Number 5583, a pacific-type passenger engine, usually assigned
to the pQrtland-Montreal passenger trains. While no true statements
can be made about this entry, one might speculate that the fact that
5583 would not steam, combined with the engineers rheumatism,evoked
this caustic comment. Other engines of this class were used on me-dium
distance passenger train runs and were popular with both en-
ginemen and firemen.
There was, however, yet another notation in the foremans log­
book and it was this entry which initiated a five-year investigation
of the railways in the region of North Stratford, New Hampshire, some 15
miles to the south of Island Pond and the next station of any con­
sequence, southbound.
This entry recorded that, on April 11 1924, Engineer Charles H.
Currier brought in to the Island Pond Shops light engine Number 3
of the NHS&L or WHS&L (Railroad) from North Stratford, NH. Who in
the world did this engine belong to and what was it doing in the GT
shops at Island Pond in April 19247
Where should you start? The most that could be contributed by
the Motive Power and Car Equipment Department of Canadian National
Railways, Montreal, in 1971, was that the Company, even then, made
repairs to locomotives belonging to on-line customers. Today, it may
be a diesel-electric overhaul; yesterday -when the entry was made –
it may have been a class 2 or 3 repair to a steam locomotive.
Using this reasoning, the conclusion was that there was a pri­
vate railway somewhere south of Island Pond, standard-gauge, whose
locomotives required periodic repairs. These repairs were apparently
made at the Grand Trunk (Canadian Notional) shops at Island Pond.
Highway 105 of the State of Vermont was and is an excellent
route for train-watching, since it follows the Grand Trunk south
from Island Pond to Bloomfield, Vermont, just across the Connecticut
River from North Stratford, New Hampshire. About a mile-and-a-half
south of the GT station at North Stratford, there used to be a large
lumber mill. The extensive trackage in the mill yard was switched,
about 1929, by a pair of antique eight-wheelers in miserable con-
dition. In fact, about 1930, one of the pair broke down entirely.
These two mysterious eight-wheelers were examined, under paternal
supervision, by a thirteen-year-old neophyte railway enthusiast.
While there were no obvious identifying marks on either of these
locomotives, the fact that they were being operated just south of
North Stratford permitted the conclusion, fifty years later, that
one of them was the Number 3 referred to in Engineer Curriers re-
port of August 11, 1924.
But there were more curiosities than were then apparent. There
was no private railway or logging railway leaving from the mill yard,
yet trains of logs did arrive in the yard. How did they do so? By
using the standard-gauge tracks of the Grand Trunk for about a mile­
and-a-half north, across the three-span, through-truss bridge over
the Connecticut River to a switch just south of the . single-span,
through-truss bridge over the Nulhegan River. Here, the private rail­
road began, winding its way on a gentle gradient up the east side of
Hampshire Stave & Heading Mill. She, too, was standard-gauge, burned
soft coal (fuel 5 tons capacity), carried 3000 UG gallons of water
in her tender and was equipped with steam and air brakes.
Builders photo courtesy Mr. P.E.Percy.

the Nulhegan River valley, as far as the East Branch of the Nulhegan,
where it bore away to the east, while the Grand Trunk continued in a
northerly direction to Wenlock, Brighton and Island Pond.
Now that the general location of the railway and the lumber
mill had been determined, the corollary questions of why and when
the logging railway had been built required answers. And to discover
the correct answers, it was necessary to do a little more general
research on cane sugar production in the West Indies and logging
in New England in general and northeastern Vermont, in particular.
There was a time when raw or semi-processed cane sugar from the
West Indian Islands of Martinique, Guadeloupe, Antigua and Barbados
was packed in wooden barrels, for shipment to the sugar refineries
in the United States and Canada. The Warner Sugar Refining Company
with headquarters in New York City had a lumber mill in Pennsylvania
that made nothing but barrels for raw sugar. When the supply of hard­
wood ran out in Pennsylvania, the Warner Company had to look else­
where for stands of hardwood and these they found in the unorganized
towns of Lewis and Averill, in northeasternVe~mont.
The first survey-stake for Warner Sugars barrel-making mill in
the Town of Stratford, New Hampshire, not so far away from the timber
in the unorganized towns of Lewis and Averill, Vermont, was driven
on April 10, 1920 under the direction of Charles A. Ridlon, superin­
tendent of the Company. Incorporated as the New Hampshire Stave and
Heading Mill, the enterprise was a wholly-owned subsidiary of the
Warner Sugar Refining Company of New York City. The NHS&HM was organ­
ized with a capital of $ 1 million and purchased from the Connecticut
Valley Lumber Company all of the hard and soft wood stumpage on a
tract of 87,000 acres in the towns of Granby, Maidstone, Brunswick,
Bloomfield, Ferdinand, Averill, Lewis and Lemington in Essex County,
Vermont. The Company also acquired by purchase in fee simple 1,565
acres additional from the Vermont Products Company, situated in
Lewis, Averill, Brighton, Averys Gore and Holland, in Essex County.
A careful reading of the foregoing will permit the conclusion
that the mill company had been incorporated in New Hampshire while
the timber limits were in the State of Vermont. Thus, any railroad
linking the timber to the mill would have to be incorporated, at
least partly, in the latter State.
After some correspondence with the Secretaries of State of New
Hampshire and Vermont, it was determined that the logging railroad
had indeed been incorporated in the State of Vermont on May 3 1920
and that this charter had been further extended on April 1 1920 and
finally revoked on March 25 1930. The principal place of business of
the railroad company in 1920 was declared to be Wenlock, Vermont,
about half-way between Island Pond and North Stratford in the swampy
upper reaches of the Nulhegan River. Subsequently, on April 1 1924 ,
the railroads headquarters were moved to Bloomfield, Vermont, across
the Connecticut River from North Stratford; on April 1 1926, for some
~ Hampshire Stave and Heading Mills railroad just north of Bloomfield,
Vermont, show, amongst other things, the GTR through-truss bridge over
the Nulhegan River and the NHS&HM s connection with the GTR s main
line by means of a passing track. The engine can~ot be read~ly iden­
tified but it may be compared with the other englnes belonglng to
the Company. The caboose is unique and resembles the one on the end
of the log train pictured elsewhere in this article.
Courtesy of the L.B.Walker Collection.
Sable MIn.
now-forgotten reason, the railroads headquarters were moved to Lewis,
Vermont, about 12 miles northeast of Bloomfield, where the two branch­
es of the logging railroad separated.
The factory built by the New Hampshire Stave and Heading Mill
consumed 15 million board-feet of hardwood logs annually. The saw­
mill, built later, produced 40,000 board-feet of sawn lumber daily.
The Hartshorn and Rowell farms, which were adjacent to the mill on
the river meadows, were also purchased and, in addition to the mills,
machine shops, engine roundhouse, storehouse, boiler rooms and crozer
and joining mill, the Company built sheds one-and-a-half miles in
len~th for the storage 6fbarrel *taves, and a shipping and storing
house 1,200 feet long.
For the benefit of its personnel, the Company also erected dwel­
lings for 60 families, one brick office and a modern boarding house.
Some of these buildings were still in use as late as 1970.
The Town of Stratford, New Hampshire, through the Stratford
Board of Trade, gave nearly 50 acres of land at a cost of $ 19,316.32
from the Baldwin and Rowell meadows upon which the Company erected
its mills and factory. The Stratford Board of Trade, on December 19
1920, voted that the Company should be exempted from local taxation
for a period of 10 years. The citizens confirmed this resolution dt
the Town Meeting of March 1920.
The Coos County Democrat of Lancaster, NH, reported in
that nearly 100 men were employed in building the railroad of
New Hampshire Stave & Heading Millon the East Branch and that
line would be extended north to Averill.
the the
The main line of the NHS&HM s railroad left the mill yard and
ran over the main line of the Grand Trunk past the station at North
Stratford and across the Connecticut River to a switch about 1(500
feet north of the GTRs bridge. From this point, it began its leisur­
ly climb along the east slope of the Nulhegan River valley,parallel­
ing Vermont highway Route 105 as far as the valley of the East Branch
of the Nulhegan. Here, the railroad continued along the south slope
of the East Branch for about 12 miles to a camp named Lewis where it
forked, the western line running onward for four or five miles to the
timber limits on the east flank of Lewis Peak. The eastern branch of
the railroad continued on about the same distance to the limits on
the northwestern flank of Sable Mountain. Neither branch ever reached
The railroads length varied between 12 and 28 miles, depending
on when it was measured and which authority you consult, as well as
where logging operations were being conducted. The track was of per­
manent construction in the generally accepted sense of the word as
it applied to logging railroads. Only on the portion of the line from
Lewis to the GTR connection just north of Bloomfield was any attempt
made to maintain the track to normal branch-line standards. Train
speeds were usually held to 6-12 miles per hour on the main line ,
inasmuch as the rail roads motive power was totally S hay geared en­
This is as good a place as any to describe what caused the de­
cline in the demand for hardwood barrels, with the resulting disap-
pearance of this interesting logging railroad. In the early 1920s,
almost as soon as the operation had begun, the West Indian sugar
producers discovered that strong jute bags could be used to ship raw
sugar, replacing the more expensive wooden barrels. That put the bar-
rel manufacturers up Queer Street. But if the jute bag producers
thought they had a corner on the bag market, they were soon
chanted by the appearance of the multiwall paper bag. Anyway,
New Hampshire Stave and Heading Mill stopped making barrels in
quantities, the Vermont timber limits were logged out by 1925
the logging railroads rails were lifted in 1932.
Five logging camps were established beside the railroad, or near
it. Camp Number 1 was just north of the concrete road-bridge over the
East Branch, on the right-hand side of the track. Just to the north­
west and further up the track was Camp Number 2, on the left side of
the railroad. Camp Number 3 was in the extreme northern portion of
Bloomfield Township and on the right side of the track. A wye was
located across the river from Camp Number 3, so that log cars
could be marshalled i~ front of the engine, to be pushed up the steep­
er grades on the mountainsides by the Shays. At Lewis, the railroad
divided, the left-hand spur going towards the western part of Averill
Township, while Camp Number 5 was located two miles from Camp Number 4 on
the right-hand spur in eastern Averill Township on the side of
Sable Mountain. Camp Number 5 was the only logging camp not on the
The log cars, which appear to have been heavy-duty flat cars,
and not bunk trucks, had rails mounted on their platforms to allow
a steam-operated Barnhart log-loader to run along them, loading logs
jr., of the Island Pond Historical Society, is identified as a logging
train in the timber limits of a company in northeastern Vermont, near
Island Pond. Only one conclusion is possible, yet the Shay locomotive
bears the number 3, a number which the NHS&HM never had. Also of
interest is the Barnhardt log-loader, the pile of pulpwood beside the
right-of-way midway in the train and the unique caboose, visible in
greater detail in another photograph accompanying this article.
on the car in the train immediately behind the log-loader. The wire
cable, which swung from the loaders boom, was equipped with tongs
which gathered up one or several logs at a time, depending on their
size. The Company had two log-loaders and left both of them in the
woods when logging operations slowed down. However, each autumn, or
before operation of the railroad became impossible because of the
snow, they were brought back to the mill at North Stratford.
The NHS&HM s logging railroad rejoiced in a significant number
of extraordinary employees, one of the most remarkable being Engin­
eer Leonard Heath, who operated Shay Number 3. He wore out thirteen
firemen in one year and was accustomed to put the fire right up the
stack. There were two results to this violent action. The first
thing that had to be done was to extinguish the resulting brush fires
along the line. Then, the fireman had to scurry around and gather
enough kindling to relight the fire in the firebox.
Besides the log-rack flats, boxcars from the Grand Trunk,loaded
with hay and grain for the horses at the lumber camps, were taken
up the railroad. On the return trip, these boxcars were loaded with
pulpwood for the paper mills at Groveton ~nd Berlin, New Hampshire,on
the GTR some distance to the south.
Train crews worked 12 to 14 hours a doy, six days a week. The
Shays sounded like they were a second section of Number 16 working
up the hill out of Island Pond but, as everybody knows, they were
slow and it took the better part of an hour to make the run from the
mill to the Wye at Camp Number 3 and about an hour-and-a-half to
reach Lewis.
And now, about the motive power. Main-line log-trains were hand­
led, as said, by Shay locomotives. Number 1, Warners Mill, built
by the Lima Locomotive Works for the Warner Sugar Refining Company,
ostensibly of North Stratford, New Hampshire, was a 70-ton, 3-truck
Shay, outshopped in 1920. After the railroad was abandoned in 1925,
Number 1 was sold to two companies in the southern United States and
finally went to Vredenburg, Alabama, where it was scrapped in Feb­
ruary 1929.
Number 2 was yet another 70-ton, 3-truck Shay, outshopped by Lima on
June 14 1922 and destined for the New Hampshire Stave and
Heading Mill. Like Number 1, she burned soft coal and had a boiler
pressure of 200 psig. When the railroad was abandoned, Number 2 went
to Georgia and thence to Westline, Pa., where she was scrapped in
May 1946. .
Presented herewith is a picture of yet another NHS&HM Shay, Num­
ber 3, apparently a 70-ton, 3-truck model. A detailed search of the
list of Shay locomotives, built by the Lima Locomotive Works, Lima,
Ohio, U.S.A., and published in Michael Kochs excellent book The
Shay Locomotive: Titan of the Timber, has failed to discover a Num­
ber 3 of the New Hampshire Stave and Heading Mill at North Stratford,
New Hampshire. Nevertheless, there is a strong resemblance to the
engine hauling the train on the NHS&HMs right-of-way at Bloomfield,
Vermont, which accompanys this article. The caboose on this log­
train is unique enough to run only on this particular railroad. Per­
haps one of our knowledgeable readers will be able to clarify this
ambiguity and provide the explanation for it.
That pretty well explains the mysterious initials in the loco­
motive foremans log-book in the GT roundhouse at Island Pond under
date of August 11 1924, but it does not tell us much about 4-4-0 Num­
ber 3, which was the real purpose of this article.
Mr. Raymond F. Corley of Scarborough, Ontario, co-author, with
which used to switch the yard at the New Hampshire Stave & Heading
Mill at North Stratford, New Hampshire. The engine is apparently out
of service and, who knows?, it may be waiting to make the trip to
the GTR s Island Pond Shops for repairs.
Courtesy John Carbonneau, jr., Island Pond Historical Society.
Number 5282 blasted her way north, up the hill out of Island Pond,
Vermont, at the head of Train 17, from Portland, Maine to Montreal
Jim Shaughnessy was there and recorded this portion of the action.
Mr. Anthony Clegg of Canadian National Steam Locomotives, had this
to say:
The Canadian Northern Quebec Railway Company had
several 4-4-0 steam locomotives. Numbers 47, 48
and 49 were scrapped in 1910, 1906 and 1911,
respectively. Number 55 was scrapped prior to
1912, but no precise year is given.
In the 1912 numbering series, no 4-4-0 was shown
as sold. All were scrapped, or so the record
says, except Number 39, a former Central Ontario
Railway Company locomotive, Number 5, purchased
by the Canadian Northern in 1909, and Number 50,
formerly of the Irondale, Bancroft and Ottawa
Railway, their Number 3, acquired by Mackenzie,
Mann and Company in 1910.
These two locomotives were sold to the Key Valley
Railway Company in November 1917 and August 30,
1917, respectively.
There seems to be no information available on the
location or length of the Key Valley Railway.
However, since the term scrapped was used very
loosely in some records, some of the locomotives
described as scrapped may in fuct have been sold.
The two 4-4-0s purchased second-hand by the New
Hampshire Stave & Heading Mill for their Vermont-
New Hampshire railroad operation may also have
come from Canadian National Railways, after 1919.
There were a number of engines which could have
been sold to this railroad.
That is the total of this portion of the research on the se~ond­
hand 4-4-0 locomotives of the New Hampshire Stave and Heading Mill,
in the years 1920-1930. They were the sole justification for this
expose of a New England logging railroad, which otherwise might not
appear in a Canadian railway history publication.
Sometimes (to coin a metaphor) it is hard to remember, when you
are supposed to be draining the swamp, that the number of teeth per
alligator really has very little to do with the original enterprise.
In this case, it appears that there are almost as many unanswered
questions about the mysterious 4-4-0s as there were when the entry
in the locomotive foremans log-book at the GTs Island Pond Shops
was first noted.
The author would like to acknowledge the contribution of Mr.
John Carbonneau, jr., President of the Island Pond Historical So-
ciety, Island Pond, Vermont, U.S.A., who started this whole business.
While he contributed his assistance, encouragement and enthusiasm, it
might have been preferable never to have asked the question in the
first place.
Once the research had been undertaken, the author was provided
with valuable information by Mr. Richard C. Thomas, Secretary of
State, State of Vermont, U.S.A., on the corporate history of the New
Hampshire Stave and Heading Mills railroad in the State of Vermont.
Mr. Robert L. Stark, Secretary of State, State of New Hampshire, U.
S.A., was kind enough to suggest several avenues of investigation to
determine the relationship between the lumber mill and the railroad.
Mr. P.E.Percy of Lima, Ohio, U.S.A., long-time employee of the
Lima Locomotive Works and the Lima Locomotive Corporation, provided
illustrations and data on the two Shay locomotives owned by the New
Hampshire Stave and Heading Mill.
The assistance of Mr. Raymond F. Corley of Scarborough, Ontario,
has been acknowledged in the article.
In addition, the following books provided information, sometimes
detailed, sometimes superficial, always inter~sting:
History of the Town of Stratford, N.H. 1773-1925: Thompson,Jeanett
Rumford Press, Concord, N.H. (1925) i
Tall Trees, Tough Men. Pike, Robert E.
W.W.Norton & Company, New York (1967);
.. . LONDONS· .. .
. . . . . , .

.. . . . ..
. . –
tudents of the history of rail transportation
in, throu9h and u~der London, England and its
suburbs, will find Charles Klappers book to
be a well documented recitation of the facts,
commencing about 1840. The author must be re­
cording the results of a life-long interest in
this specialized subject, considering the detail
in which he describes it.
Dozens of projected, partially complet~d, abandoned and partly
abandoned surface and subway lines are traced. The names and loca-
tions of many of the lines are hardly recognizable today, and con-
vince the reader of the appropriatness of the title of the work. Br­
itish Rail and London Transport inherited the companies which did
survive and with them, their problems.
A chapter on the history of rail transportation in Paris, France
is apparently an effort to discover some clues which might lead the
investigator to better solutions to some of Londons rail transport­
ation problems.
The gigantic cost of resolvin~ Londons transport problems what­
ever the most appropriate solutionls), must surely boggle the mind
of the financier delegated to raise such an amount of money.
This book is not intended for the casual reader, who may enjoy
the interesting period photographsj it is unlikely that any save
the railway historians will appreciate a complete reading of Mr.
Klappers text.
Mr. Klapper has been engaged in tec~nical journalism since 1932,
being on the staff of MODERN TRANSPORT from 1935 to 1970 and Editor
and a Director of the publication from 1953. He has published several
other books, the most recent being Sir Herbert Halker s Sout~ern
Railway, published by Ian Allan, Limlted, l.n 1974.
LONDONS LOST RAILWAYS Klapper, Charles F.jRoutledge & Kegan Paul
(The General Publishing Group) 1976. 139 pp., 1 woodcut, 2 maps, 43
black-and-white photographs. $ 15.50 per copy.
ith genuine anticipation, I awaited the
appearance of Elizabeth Willmots new
book Meet Me at the Station, publish­
ed recently by Gage Publishing of Tor-
onto. To my knowledge, this is the
first book which comments about Canadian
railway stations, albeit only in Ontario.
While discovering and photographing railway stations in Quebec
during 1973, as part of a larger national survey of Canadas historic
buildings, I developed a keen interest in the architectural styles
of Canadian railway stations and I hoped that Miss Willmot had under­
taken and produced a definitive study of railway stations in Ontario.
Alas: Meet me at the Station did not meet my expectations.
Although her book presents full-page photographs of each of the fifty­
five Ontario railway stations selected, opposite an individual accom-
panying te~t, it lack~ organization. No attempt has been made to
group·the stations by owning companies, builders, region, age or
architectural style. For example, the author-photographer includes
four rural flag-stop shelters, placing them on pages 20, 52, 56 and
90. Would it not have been more logical and less confusing to the
rea.der to hciv\,grouped these pictures in one section, thereby permit­
ting c6m~is<~?
Similarit,;the ex-Grand Trunk stations at Maple (p.10), and
Mil ton (p. 16) I sh 0 u I d h a v e bee n pre sen ted tog e the r; the y are 0 b-
viously standard plans and surely this fact would have been of in­
terest to the reader. The fact that these two stations are identical
is not even mentioned in the accompanying text.
Had the stations at Prescott (p. 92), Belleville (p. 24),
Hope (p. 40) and St. Marys Junction (p. 54) been arranged in
cession, the reader would have been quick to appreciate the
acteristic style of these beautiful stone Grand Trunk railway
tions of the 1850s. As they appear in Miss Willmot s book, they are
just photographs of ordinary anachronisms.
Despite the dust-jackets claim that the author hopes through
her book to impress upon readers the importance of preserving Can­
adian railway stations, very few dates of construction are given.
Age, one would suppose, is a primary criterion for the preservation
of any structure; not the sole criterion, but an important one. The
Shelburne (CPR) station is accompanied by a text with ambiguous sta­
tements, which provides no clear date of construction for the build­
ing, but, instead, says, In June 1873 the 122-mile track was com­
pleted between Toronto and Owen Sound on Georgian Bay. The completion
of the line called for a great celebration in Shelburne,and the new
railway station was chdsen for the scene of festivities. From this,
the reader could conclude that the station in the photograph opposite
was built in 1873. Its appearance, however, strongly suggests that
it was built as late as the 1920s and not concurrently with the
completio_n of the .Toronto,· Grey and Bruce Railway.
If the text of Meet Me at the Station is not, then, about ra­
ilway stations portrayed, how can it best be described? It is, in
fact, a book of rustic anecdotes and railway folklore, that utilizes
the station as a focal point for its little nuggets of prose. There
is very little about the real history of the structures presented;
rather, the stations are used as introductions to assorted reminis-
cences of station agents, locomotive engineers and regional towns-
folk. Miss Willmot s collection of railway yarns serves to remind the
reader that the station occupied a dominant position in the commun­
ities that were strung like beads along the railway line. Milk-cans
waiting on the platform, runaway elephants from circus trains, and
passengers perennially marooned in station waiting_rooms by paralys­
ing snow-storms are all evoked by Miss Willmott to embellish her
paragraphs. The reader can almost imagine the loyal railway workers
sitting around the glowing pot-bellied stove in the station swapping
The railway station in Meet Me at the Station is not
story of the station itself; it is the source of the story.
Whatever Miss Willmot s intention, her book has one painfully
obvious omission: there is no map showing the locations of the sta­
tions portrayed. Occasionally, in the text, reference is made to a
location, but, more often, as in the case of Concord, the reader is
left wondering where in -Ontario -it is. Even a simple, graphic
diagram of southern Ontario would have sufficed.
The photographs are something else. They are average, with
exceptions and their quality is not entirely the responsibility
the the printer. There is a clear and excellently lit photograph of
station at Newmarket, cancelled out by a dismal photo of Clinton sta­
tion and a particularly cock-eyed view of Inglewood.
Also noteworthy is the fact that easily half of the stations se­
lected by Miss Willmot are former Grand Trunk Railway Company of Can-
ada structures and there is not one representative from that vast
portion of the province north of Lake Simcoe. Similarly, one would
have thought that at least one station on the former National Trans­
continental and on the ex-Canadian Northern Railway should have
been included.
It may be conceded that Meet Me at the Station is a reasonably
priced entry into the coffee-table book market. The little stories
all entertain although they do acquire, eventually, an unflattering
sameness. The photographs, accompanied by their individual texts on
the pages facing, facilitate casual reading. But it is really un-
fortunate that the book does not go just a little further to make a
genuine attempt to inform the reader about its avowed topic. One
need only examine the current popular work The Barn by Eric Arthur
and Dudley Whitney to conclude that photography of vanishing land­
marks can be accurate, informative and entertaining, all at
the same time and without sacrifice of any single characteristic.
If this review is critical, it was meant to be so. There are so
few opportunities, these days, to publish books on railway subjects
wi th any hope of success, that it is a pity to waste even one. Meet
Me at the Station was, for me, a disappointment. But then, I never
cared much for the railroad fiction in RAILROAD Magazine, either.
MEET ME AT THE STATION: Willmot, Elizabeth A. ISBN 0-7715-9976-5
122 PP.i 1 sketch,10 miscellaneous photographs,
62 station photographs, Colour photograph on
dust-jacket. $ 14.95
Gage Publishing, Toronto, Canada. 1976.
erland has decided to publish a booklet commemorating the
75th. Anniversary of this remarkable Swiss railway. It was
17 December 1901 that the first portion of the main line of this
railway was opened between Montreux, on the Lake of Geneva and Les
Put together by an editorial committee fully acquainted
with the history of the MOB, the book, consisting of 180 pages of
text and more than 250 pictures, both black-and-white and colour, a
number of them not hitherto published, describes the history of the
line, its technical aspects and its actual status and operation.
Special mention should be made of the reproduction of more
than 50 period postcards and the publication, in the form of 67 tech­
nical specifications, of the characteristics of the rolling stock,
from the beginnings of the railway.
The book, Seventy-five Years of Operation of the Montreux­
Oberland Bernois Railway will be on sale at the railways general
offices and the MOBs railway stations; it will also be available from
bookstores. The price quoted for delivery outside of Switzerland is
SFr. 33, or about $ 13.00, postpaid.
Orders may be addressed to:
Direction du chemin de fer MOB
1820 -Montreux
power all the way through from Montreal to East Deerfield,
Massachusetts on Trains 904 and 917. Two CP RAIL units,
generally C424, RS 10 or RS 18 models, bring 904 over Magowan Hill
into Newport, Vermont, where three B&M units, usually GP 9 or GP 18
models, are added for the run through Orleans and Barton, up to Sum­
mit, on the way to St. Johnsbury. There, the CP RAIL units are cut
out of the train which continues south with the three B&M units.
Northbound, BM917 comes up to St. Johnsbury about mid-
night with three units and the CP RAIL units which came south on 904
are added. Train 917 continues on to Newport with five units and
there, 917 drops the three B&M units and becomes Train 903.
This information from Frank Orr and the SRS NEWS.
tracking of 55.3 miles from Winnipeg to Portage La Prairie,
Manitoba, with some of it now in service. Concrete ties
were used in the construction, except for switches, crossings at gr­
ade with other railways and at hot-box detector locations, at which
point wooden ties were used. All trackage is signalled both ways and
an additional track provides a three-track main line for about two
miles west of Winnipeg. Most bridges on the rebuilt main line are
of prestressed concrete.
State of Vermont, was described recently by Mr. Arthur
Ristau, Secretary of Transportation for Vermont, as an outstanding
success. Mr. Ristau remarked that the operation is making enough
money to payoff the bonds that the State issued to purchase the line.
This trackage was Vermonts first rail acquisition, purchased in 1962
when the historic Rutland Railroad ceased operation.
The Green Mountain Railroad, from Rutland to Bellows Falls,
is a more marginal operation, said Mr. Ristau, but it may become
profitable. This company is presently involved in an argument with a
private railroad excursion company, Steamtown, Incorporated, which
is based at Riverside, Bellows Falls, and leases 13 miles of the
GMR from Bellows Falls to Chester to run 15 tourist trips in the
summer. Steamtown has refused to pay about $ 14,000 in rental fees,
claiming that the GMR failed to maintain the trackage to an accepta­
ble standard. The GMR replied that Steamtown was attempting to avoid
payment of a legitimate charge. Steamtown has offered to purchase the
13-mile portion of the GMR but the State has declined the offer.
Roughly 40% of rail trackage in Vermont is now publicly
owned. With increased activity in the paper mills of northern Maine
and an apparent imminent demand for more rail transportation, Mr.
Ristau is particularly enthusiastic about the future of the VR, the
GMR and the Vermont Northern Railroad (VNR).
While the VNR was still embargoed as of 27 October, other
news media (WGAN-TV) reported that the first train under M-K manage­
ment operated on 28 October-01 November 1976 with ex-LI 420s now D&H
Numbers 202 and 204 and ex-Bangor & Aroostook Railroad cab unit C-64.
THE CALL-BOARD and THE 470 Newsletter.
became surplus because of the economic recession in 1975-
1976. Twenty-six of their remaining M-636 units have been
leased to ConRail. Earlier in 1976, eleven of the forty (Numbers 2300-
2339 incl.) purchased from MLW Industries in 1970-71 were sold to the
Cartier Railway Company, Port Cartier, Quebec.
In addition to the units leased from CN, ConRail has pur-
chased four U-36-B units contracted for by Auto-Train (U.S.A.) but
not delivered.
1948 for the Milwaukee Roads Hiawatha service and pur­
chased by Canadian National Railways in 1964 are on their
way to the scrap-yard. Numbered 1900-1905 on CN and named Malone,
Malpeq, Fundy, Trinity, Baddeck and Gaspe, they were used
on the Super Continental, Ocean Limited, Scotian and Chaleur services.
In the early 70s, they were withdrawn and stored in the Halifax
coach-yard; any possibility of restoring them to service was preclu­
ded by a Canadian Transport Commission prohibition because they had
but one exit and therefore were hazardous to passenger safety.There­
after, they were cannibalized for spares. Before returning them to
Pointe-St-Charles, Montreal, in mid-September 1976, the cars had to
be shopped to enable movement with a 25 mph speed restriction. They
were moved in local freights to Montreal.
THE 470, 470 Railroad Club.
proven once again when, in 1976, trolley cars returned to
the (motor) city of Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. Three, shiny-
new, fire-engine red streetcars clanged up Washington Avenue, after
a 20-year interval. The new line runs from Grand Circus Park to the
Cobo Hall Convention Centre and is the first phase of a multimillion
dollar downtown revitalization program. However, the cars, new to
Detroit, are not newly built. They were built around 1900 and were
part of an order of six built for the tramway system of Lisbon, Por-
tugal. The schedule for the new service is seven days a week from
07 00 to 18 00. After the first week of free rides, the fare will be
Mr. Edward Carr, who drove Detroits last streetcar into
the carbarn 20 years ago was on hand on the Monday morning when ser­
vice commenced, acting as motorman. Asked the usual question by me­
dia representatives, Mr. Carr replied,You cant find a better feel-
ing in the world. Detroit FREE PRESS.
models on the property, it is puzzling to hear the rumour
that the Delaware & Hudson may be purchasing some GG 1
electric locomotives from ConRail. However, the reason for the pur­
chase becomes logical when one understands that these locomotives
would be used on the D&Hs trackage-rights route from Harrisburg­
Potomac Yard, Virginia. This route was electrified by the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad in the 1920s. S.S.Worthen.
wrote to say that passenger traffic on the Cape Breton
Steam Railway did not meet expectations during the summer.
The double-header special with Number 42 and Number 972 Repton did
not operate on Thanksgiving Day weekend. It seems that the short run
from Morien Junction to Port Morien is regarded by the public as a
sort of shuttle service and does not have the appeal that the long­
er runs of 1974-75 had.
Elsewhere, Barrie reported that SYSCO s new unit, Number
14, which was acquired in 1975 (ex-BAR Number 31) has had its cab
roof chopped down, making the unit similar in appearance to sister
units Numbers 11 & 12. This treatment was necessary because of re­
duced clearances in different parts of the mill complex.
For those who are interested in the fate of railway sta­
tions on Canadian National Railways main line through Cape Breton
Island, Barrie reported that the one at Iona was demolished in the
summer of 1974. Last year (1975), the station at West Bay Road was
levelled and this year the station at Little Bras Dor was torn down.
At present, the station at Boisedale is in the process of being dis­
mantled. On the Inverness Subdivision, the stations at port Hood and
Mabou were demolished in 1976 and those at Strathlorne and Inverness
will probably be gone before the end of 76.
most northerly short-line railroad, once the St. Johnsbury
and Lake Champlain Railroad, later the St. Johnsbury and
Lamoille County Railroad and now the Vermont Northern.
Readers will remember that the railroad was reorganized by a
group nf Vermont business men and opened through from Morrisville
to St. Johnsbury, Vermont, early in 1976. After about ten months of
sporadic operation, on October 4 the St. J&LCs maintenance workers
went on strike and the management suspended operations, as a result.
After a short period of deliberation, it was announced that opera­
tion could not be continued.
The State of Vermont thereafter negotiated an agreement
with the Morrison-Knudsen Company of Boise, Idaho, to assume opera­
tion of the 96-mile line, whereupon the former operators threatened
legal proceedings for monies they claimed were owed them by the
State. The Interstate Commerce Commission would not permit the new
operator to start running the line until this claim was settled. The
latest newspaper report available at the time of composing this ar­
ticle, dated October 29, inferred that the claim had been settled
and that the first train from Sheldon to Morrisville ran on Thursday,
October 28. Presumably, operation east to St. Johnsbury and west to
Swanton and Fonda Junction (the Vermont Northerns connection with the
Central Vermont) followed subsequently.
The reason for the selection of Morrison-Knudsen Company
as the new operator of the Vermont Northern appears to derive from
the VNs large, modern diesel shop at Morrisville. This facility
could be expanded into a larger diesel unit rebuilding shop, which
M-K is interested in developing in the east.
This speculation could have some basis in facti consider
the large and varied collection of diesel units presently owned or
leased by the Delaware & Hudson Railway and the capacity of Colonie
and Oneonta Shops. It seems as though the D&H will have to have some
of its maintenance work done elsewhere.
Double-tracking of CN s main line from Edmonton to Spruce
Grove, Alberta, is progressing rapidly. Only the grading for the 11.9
miles was to have been completed in 1976, but ties and rails have al­
ready been layed in some places.
Apparently, Canadian National Railways have found concrete
ties to be advantageous to use, for a contract has been awarded to
Con-Force Costain Concrete Tie Company Limited of Edmonton for 1.5
million ties. Con-Force, a subsidiary of Con-Force Products Limited
of Calgary, built a modern factory in Edmonton and went into pro­
duction in 1976. The ties, to be supplied over a 5-year period, will
be installed on much of the CN s system, with initial installations
in areas of sharp curvature on the main line west from Capreol, On­
tario. Mountain Region VP C.F.Armstrong said that the concrete ties
would increase rail life by providing a firmer track structure. In­
creasing shipments of bulk commodities, greater train lengths and
higher individual car capacities, not to mention increased speeds,
require a stronger track structure. Moreover, the cost differential
between wooden and concrete ties, which was once significantly in
favour of the wooden variety, has now diminished and the greater
life-expectancy of the concrete tie more than offsets the added cost.
Wooden ties are installed about 3,000 to the mile, while concrete
ties are installed at 2,640 per mile.
CN has also taken delivery of new equipment designed spe-
cifically for concrete tie placement. The double tie gantry auto-
matically removes the old wooden ties and replaces them with con-
crete units each weighing 615 pounds. The rails are fastened to the
concrete ties with the well known PANDROL fastenings.
and one Amcoach. The latter is one of the passenger cars
equipped with high density seating and therefore is in
no way suitable for the five-hour trip between the two west coast
cities. The motive power is one AMTRAK unit equipped with head-end
power, necessary since the two Amfleet cars are not self-sufficient.
(MBB) of Ottobrunn, West Germany, recently delivered the
first of a new line of standard dynamometer cars to the
German Federal Railways (DB). These cars were designed to measure the
running behaviour of railway passenger cars at speeds of 200 km/h and
higher, the aerodynamic behaviour of passenger cars when passing other
trains, buildings or other structures, the behaviour of the overhead
contact wire on electrified lines and pantograph behaviour at speeds
of 200 km/h, noise levels in passenger cars, braking effects, tractive
effort of locomotives, horsepower output and track conditions.
For these measurements, the car has a basic equipment pack­
age consisting of a digital time-distance measuring unit, a measuring
and signalling device for the axle bearing temperature, an intercom­
munication system, as well as a radio-telephone communication system.
The car is 26.4 m long, over buffers, 2.825 m wide and
4.05 m high above the rail. It weighs 61.5 tons in running order and
is equipped with a hot-water heating and air-conditioning system.
The measuring and recording room is equipped with a re-
cording and writing desk, a corner bench, chairs and a table. There
is a drivers cab at one end of the car.
note to the effect that CP RAIL had applied to abandon
10.3 miles of its Port McNicoll Subdivision, between Cold­
water and Port McNicoll. The application was approved at a hearing of
the Railway Transport Committee. Committee chairman J.A.D.Magee of
Ottawa said that he was satisfied that the railway could do nothing
to reduce the deficit of S 107,313 , incurred between 1972 and 1974
for maintenance operations on the SiD.
Davis of Rumford Point, Maine, U.S.A., relating to the
photograph of the Grand Trunk Railway tank engine, which
appeared on page 317 of the October 1976 issue Number 297 of CANADIAN
While Mr. Davis says he cannot prove that the location of
the picture is Bonaventure Station, Montreal, beyond a shadow of a
dount, the roof in the background looks considerably like that of
Montreals famous station.
Mr. Davis feels safer in saying that the photograph was
probably taken in the era 1898-1904, when this class K-1 4-4-2T loco­
motive was numbered 268. She was the third GTR engine to bear that
number. She was built by the GTR at their Pointe-St-Charles Shops in
1883, as 3rd. Number 192. In 1904, she was renumbered as 5th. Number
203 and in 1910 was again renumbered to 1528. She was scrapped in
May 1917. The K-1s, outshopped in 1883, had 63 drivers, 140 psig b.p.
17×22 cylinders, weighed 134,232 pounds and developed 12,009 pounds
tractive effort.
For a time, says Mr. Davis, sister engine Number 267 of
the 1898-1904 period was used on the Norway Branch of the GTR in cen­
tral Maine, but these tank engines were used primarily on the Mon­
treal suburban runs to Vaudreuil, until the 1540s arrived on the
scene in 1914. After that, they were relegated to other short-haul
commuter runs. The few 4-4-2T engines left when the CN took over in
1923 are documented in Canadian National Steam Power by Messrs.
Corley and Clegg.
tential investor in the development of a new, modern-tech­
nology, urban transportation mode. In this role, Alberta
was cooperating very closely with the Government of Ontario, or so
it thought.
But, when Ontarios cabinet decided in June 1976 to spend
some $ 55 million on this development, someone forgot to advise the
Province of Alberta:
This oversight was probably due largely to the preoccupy-
ing, frustrations accumulated by the Government of Ontario after
more than a year of marginally productive intergovernmental talks,
particularly with the Government of Canada. Rather than lose any more
time, Ontario decided to go it alone.
The decision to go it alone meant that, if Alberta and
other interested governments wanted to buy into the Urban Transporta­
tion Development Corporation (established by Ontario) at some future
time, the admission price would doubtless be much higher. Also, once
Ontario has taken all the risks to develop a sophisticated, operating
urban transportation system, future investors will not be granted a
piece of the action at the prices which were on the table in June
1976. This latter opinion from UTDC president Kirk Foley.
Alberta wanted a half-interest in UTDC; in return, Alberta
industries would have built components for the new, high-speed str­
eetcars vital to the Toronto Transit Commission and the Dial-a-Bus
units for western Canadian cities.
Since June 1976, UrDC has decided to locate its high-speed
test track on a site in or near Kingston. This test facility will
double as an equipment testing facility for linear induction motors
for propulsion and braking, as well as the prototype vehicles.
Dave Davies, former President of the Pacific Coast Branch
of the Association, described the ice-cutting and harvest­
ing activity that went on when the Canadian Pucific Railway began to
engage in various enterprises in the community:
One of the first structures to be erected by the Canadian Pac­
ific Railroad (sic) on their newly acquired lands in East Kam­
loops was an ice house. In February 1886, the Sentinel re­
ported they were busy building an ice house near Petersons
building, presumably near the mouth of Peterson Creek. It
was listed the next year as one of their most important
The first notice for collecting ice for the CPR is in
1889, when S.J.Bennet secured the contract. One year pre­
vious, it was noted that ice from the Thompson (River) was
being stared. Some 1,200 tons were colected annually at
Kamloops, enough to supply hotels and dining cars from
Revelstoke to Vancouver.
The weather was a constant worry to the ice contractor.
On January 11,1890, it was reported:
J.S.Bennet has again secured the contract for cutting
ice for the CPR and is this week busily engaged reap­
ing his harvest. The ice is of excellent quality and
of good thickness.
The following week, the weather was not as propitious for
ice harvesting as might be desired. In 1891, the river ice
was so poor that Bennet had to take his crew to Griffin Lake,
near Three Valley Gap (on the CPR), to collect sufficient
Thomas Costley, who ran a livery stable in town, se­
cured the contract in 1892. This year, the amount of ice
had been increased to 1,700 tons, nearly all for the CPR
and will fill the ice houses fram Revelstoke to Vancouver.
Costley kept the railway contract in 1893, while
Bennet and Thomas Hornby, another livery stable owner,fil­
led orders from town houses, both businesses and dwellings.
They also shipped some 200 tons to the coast for the CPN
Co., Victoria.
The contract ran until at least 1896, when news of it
stopped. That year was a bad one for local harvestin~, and
cold storage companies in Vancouver were contracted with)
to supply ice to the CPR facilities south of North Bend.
OJr thanks to Dave Davies for sending us this glimpse of the
way it used to be in the early days of transportation in British
what may tu:n o~t a best-sellerj it certainly grabs
your attent10n 1mmed1ately: Manual of Sex-Free Occupation­
al Tit~es: Of course, it could be anything, but it really isnt (nor
could 1t be) what you think. Moreover it is not illustrated so it
is nothing to get exceited about. ,
What the publication is, is yet another effort on the part
0: ou: :ver-helpful federal government to help us all to find non­
~1scr1m1natory, ~ender-fr:e. job. titles, ,:,it~ which to amend our cop-
1es of the Canad1an Class1f1cat10n and D1ct10nary of Occupations.
Canadas railways have ever been the stronghold of the
male sex and railway-associated jobs are therefore most amenable to
unisex descriptions. Brakeman rapidly becomes brake worker(:) ,while
engineman doubtless transforms to locomotive operator. Conductor and
operator can stay as they are, as can yard supervisor and hump op­
erator. Call-boy will have to be dry-cleaned; if there is still such
a thing as a switch-tender, no change in nomenclature will be nec-
All those time-honoured titles terminating in -man are
doomed to oblivion. If young ladies in Montreals NDG area can play
junior hockey and may be entitled to clubhouse privileges, the Bridge
and Building gang will never be the same.
In the days of the steam locomotive, it was generally con­
ceded that this machine was of the female sex (for a variety of rea­
sons, some having to do with temperament), but when the diesel-elec-
tric unit came along, this subtle sexual classification was lost.
When a sufficient number of similar oversights occurred, the ever-
vocal minority demanded that hitherto acceptable terms be neatly
It should be reported that the knock-up man has been de­
leted, along with the hot-blast man and the dingman. Whether ot not
this has helped to calm the vocal minority or the womens libbers is
not clear; however, it may help in achieving zero population growth.
praises of a new book about railways:The Steam Age
Western Ontario, by Professor E. B.George. Further,
advertisement said that the second printing would be available
November 1. After some inquiries, this reporter was no wiser.
the the text of the ad, some of which follows, seemed to justify
rather high price of the publication. Here we go:
A railroad anthology. Accounts and stories of
railroads. Trains and locomotives in our local
district in the golden age of railroading when
steam was king. Interestingly written for the
average lay reader, the book contains valuable
historical material, interspersed with typical,
humorous railroad anecdotes. There are over
200 photographs including some very except­
ional and rare pictures which are worth the
pri~e of the book alone. The volume will, in
time, become a collectors item.
The book is beautifully bound, with a very
attractive jacket; has 220 pages approximately
9×12 inches, and may be purchased privately
from selected individuals or from the publisher
or his agent.
Publishers direct price $ 20.00 per copy. By
mail in Canada $ 2.50 extra; elsewhere $ 3.00.
(Higher at booksellers)
Includes all the territory in a line southeastward
from Owen Sound to Toronto, and from thence
westward to the U.S. border. Railroaders say its
fantastic. Teachers are also eager buyers.
It would be appreciated if some reader who has purchased
this book would send us a small review and an opinion as to whether
or not railway enthusiasts also ought to be eager buyers.
through its wholly-owned subsidiary Canaven Limited, for
$ 950 million, to design, engineer, construct and equip a
700-kilometer railway in east-central Venezuela. The new line is
proposed to run between San Juan de los Morros and Cuidad Guayana
with a trunk line between Tuy Medio and Cuidad Losada.
Incorporated earlier in 1976, Canaven Limited was origin­
ally composed ~f six equal shareholders: MLW-Worthington, Limited
Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited; Sydney Steel Corporation (SYSCO);
Canadtrans Limited and the consulting divisions of both Canadian Na­
tional Railways and Canadian Pacific Limited.
Canavens president, Mr. J.W.G.Macdougall, said that the
other five former partners would participate as subcontractors to
Canaven. Robert Bandeen, Ph.D., president and chief executive officer
of Canadian National Railways said that CN had assumed control of
Canaven to strengthen the bid.
Mr. Macdougall said that Canaven would subcontract with
MLW Industries to supply 54 diesel-electric locomotives; with Hawker
Siddeley Canada Limited to provide 1,600 freight cars; with SYSCO
to furnish 100,000 tons of rail and with an added number of Canadian
and Venezuelan companies for related supplies and services.
Winner of the bid is expected to b~ announced within three
to six months.
Toronto, said that his company had received a verbal offer
of purchase from Voyageur, Incorporated, of Montreal. The
amount of the offer was not announced; Gray Coach is a subsidiary of
the Toronto Transit Commission and it may be for sale to private
interests, if a reasonable offer is mode. Mr.
Mallette said that Gray Coach Lines future was bleak,
in view of the 30 November decision by the Government of Ontario,
which granted operating rights tn Greyhound Bus Lines of Canada Lim­ compete with Gray Coach. The Licences derivative from these
rights permit the U.S.-controlled company to operate between Toronto
and the International Boundary in the Niagara Peninsula and between
Toronto and Sudbury, Ontario. These two routes are Grey Coach Lines
most profitable runs.
continued to ploy fast and loose in carving up sectors of
passenger train operation in the Quebec-Windsor corridor.
Principle contenders were and are, of course, Canadian Notional and
In one announcement in the Montreal STAR, DOT said that
CP RAIL would be awarded exclusive rights to the Quebec-Montreal pas­
senger train service, so successfully developed by CN with their Ra­
pido services, while CN would be compensated elsewhere in central
Canada, which was interpreted to mean central Ontario.
First step in the plan would be a $ 30 million program to
improve Quebec-Montreal passenger service, VIA CP RAIL, which would
include new equipment and track improvements.
Mr. Sylvain Cloutier, deputy minister to DOT Minister Otto
Long, said that under current DOT plans, CN will operate the Montreal­
Toronto and Toronto-Windsor corridor sections, while CP RAIL will be
awarded the Quebec-Montreal and Montreal-Ottowa runs. The logic of
this plan was difficult to comprehend.
Also in prospect are ten new passenger trains, tenders for
which will be received by February 1977, with delivery scheduled for
August 1979, barring work interruptions. Some of these new trains
would be for the CP RAIL Quebec-Montreal service; the others would
be for service in southern Ontario. The design of these new trains
will probably be that of the LRC, since there ore presently no con­
tenders; it is unlikely that United Aircraft of Canodo will pursue
the marketing of the TURBO, now that its parent company in the United
States has withdrawn from the passenger train market.
CP RAIL officials said that they weresurprised to be
awarded the Quebec-Montreal service, as they favoured a Montreal-Ot­
towa experimental service (whatever that is). Logically, any added
traffic, freight or passenger, for the M&O Subdivision of CP RAIL,
west of Rigaud, would be most welcome. This line presently has two
scheduled trains doily, Trains 1 & 2, the Canadian,· with a way-
freight operating as required between Rigaud and M&O Junction.
The apportioning announcement by Transport-Canada immed­
iately aroused a flurry of critical comment. Ed Abbott, Executive Se-
cretory of the Canadian Railway Labour Association said that the
railway unions should have been consulted and on overall plan de-
veloped, instead of the bi ts and pieces treatment given to the
problem by Transport-Canada.
Ed Finn, a spokesman for the 22,OOO-member Canadian Br-
otherhood of Railway, General and Transport Workers said that his
organization disapproved of the awarding of exclusive rights to CP
RAIL for some inter-city services, subsidized by the federal govern-
In the Montreal STAR of the some day, there was a short an­
nouncement by Mr. Long in the House of Commons, that Transport-Canada
would not force CN to cede its Montreal-Ottowa passenger service to
CP RAIL. Mr. Long soid that any alterations to current roil serv~ce
will be token progressively, always with the objective of having
improved service compared with that now existing.
RAIL I sTrain 1, the Canadian posses the station at Cobden, Ontario,
on Saturday, 12 June, 1976. The photo was token by Kenneth A.W.Gansel
of Konato, Ontari0.
photographed ot Grenoble, France, in 1971, by the Associotion s Euro­
peon Representotive, Jean_Hichel Leclercq.
at more than 300 km per hour bet~een Bord~au~ and Irun in ~estern
France, over long sections of ~elded roil on concrete ties, ~ith
double elostic tie-clips. Photo courtesy French Notional Rail~ays.
The Boord of Director~ of the Canodian Railroad Historical As­sociation
has requested that the fallowing statements be published
at laast once a yaar:
The opinions expressed in articles and other ite~s
appearing in CANADIAN RAIL ore those of the authors or
the Editor ond are not those of the Canadian R
ailroad Historical Association unle5S they are
so indicated.
ticles, new items and photogroph5, appearing 1n CANADIAN
RAIL, are the property of the author or contributor and. as
such, may not be reproduced without the permission of the A
uthor or Editor of the magazine ond without ack~owledgemenl.
On 23 5aptember 1976, the Editor of CANADIAN RAIL, Hr. S.S.War­th
en, advised the-then President of the Association and, through him,
the Board of Directors, that it would be impossible for
him to continue as Editor after 31 December 1976.
Subsequently, Hr. Worthen agraed to assist in the prepar­
ation of the Three-Hundredth I~sue (January 1977) of our .. oga­
zine and to ossist Mr. Peter Murphy thereafter, until the Board
of Directors for 1977 should designate an Editor or Coordinator
for future iS5ues of CANADIAN RAIL. Mr. W
orthen would like to express his thanks to the many
Members of the Association who hove contributed articles, photo_
graphs and news ite.s, for presentation in CANADIAN RAIL. With­o
ut these contributions, CANADIAN RAIL could not have continued
as the interesting ond infor~ative mogozine that it is. Mr. W
orthen would g~aterully solicit the continuing co-op_ e
ration of these contributar~ in sending in material for pub-
ation in our ~ag~!:~~ __ __
Pacific Railwoy eight_wheeler Number 304, token in Montral, Qu6bec, obout 1900. Pe
rhaps one of our readers can send us 80me additional I~
infarmotion an this engine or the location of the photograph. ~
Canadian Rail
ISSH 0008 -4815
;s..-,.o mootNy by the
Canacian _ Historical Association
P.Cl.&ac 21.SCIItiCIn 8, MonlJM,o..bee,~H38 3J5
tAl.G.Vl .. l4IIT~…wrltn
1121 n, •.•• _ •• N.W.,CO! …. r, ….. .. IV6
lI.f.S •• , … S. •••• , … 0 …. a.S •• H.~ A, o … ~.,c._ •. (IN ,
,.nflC WAS
•. ,-, … s ……. . .O.h_ HlO6,htl_ •. v …………. C.V6C 2Pl
~OCII IO(:Q ( ………. • ••. Se …… .,. … 0 ….. Pl.1 ••• I,. C.l_,AU •. I … ,
_0 , lOII~ Olvnll;l<
o. hot< 10< ..... .0.1,· ·~9.1o, .. l ,., ..... O ••. IIS .
J.~.w.lI •.• .., •• , •• , -. , ……. __ r… … …… O~ ~ 1.2
A.ssociation ReprC80i itatNes

,. .. ..
~.b.I<~_ t


• • [,,_ IOU v …
5.11.. I. o,~ 01._.. r,. …
• _., •. 1 … _,,, …. _
• ……. , •• ….. _ n..
.. ~ l ,:.,~7!.~;.,.. _ ,Z:.!:f
,,-._~:~_ ……… ,_, n. IItI
h .,·.:;:.~i~,:~!: ~:::: ~.~~ ….. ~::~7::
v., It. Canadian Railway Museum ~:o…t-:.CanDde.
-MIn t- 100 piecn of ~ on dIIPIIr-

Demande en ligne