Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 249 1972

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 249 1972

19S2 _ 1972
40t.h annlV-e~B~Y
:IVO. 249

I n the southeastern corner of the Province of
Qu6bec, the winter of 1971-72 started out
very much as usual. There was the normal
late autumn snovTfall, but numerous thavTs in
December and January subsequently melted
most of the snow that had fallen.
,roat is left of the former frequent passenger service through
the Eastern Townships to Sherbrooke TaS in no tlay delayed by the ways
of the Heather. The tllrough freic;ilts to Portland, Maine on Canadian
National and to Saint John, NeoT Brunswick via CP RAIL lept right on
rolling along, although the grease in tl:e journals and ti:e oil in the
bearings Here a little stiffer and thicker, especially vTLen the mer­
cury began to drop to the twenty-below range.
The big snmTstorms of February ar.d early ~tarch did cause some
dislocations and SlOv.led dotm tl~e traffic. But CP RAIL freigLts were
able to make tlleir runs from Saint John (Bayshore) and Nontreal (St.
Luc) without too much difficulty. TLe operatir.g record for CP RAIL
Trair. 41-L(2, tlle Atlantic Limited, Tas something else again, late
several times but managing to kerp running despite a few instances
of failure of the diesel units.
Despite tIle deep drifts on tile Sherbrooke and St. HyaCinthe Sub­
divisior.s, Canadian National Railways frei~lts, Trains 393-394, Mon-
treal Yard to Portland, Maine, were completing their trips. Every-
thing was just about as usual for an otherwise ordir.ary winter.
On Harch 8, 1972, train operation through the tOvTn of Lennox-
ville, Qu6bec -three miles soutt, of Sherbrooke -where CP RAIL cros­
ses Canadian Nationals Sherbrooke Subdivision at grade and is join­
ed by the Beebe Sub. of the Quebec Central Railway, increased out of
all reason. Incredibly lor.g freights -or so it seemed to tile motor­
ists waiting at the crossing -started moving across College Street
at a snails pace, causing traffic jams on That had been, but a day
or two before, quiet streets in a small university town.
The single event which re&ulted in this commotior. occurred on
Tuesday morning, Marcil 7, when Canadian National had the misfortune
to derail a Montreal-Sydr.ey,Nova Scotia freight right on a high A­
frame, deck-plate trestle, spanning the Riviere du Loup at Eatonville,
Quebec, 91.5 miles east of Edmunston, New Brunswick, on the former
National Transcontinental Railways main line.
West 5313 (double-headed) was 8 wonderful sight, thundering across the
bridge over the Massawippi River in Lennoxville, quebec, on a cold but
bright 29 January, 1954. Photography? Jim Shaughnessy. (Who else?)
Vermont freight squealing out of the departure side of CNs Montreal
Yard en route to St. Albans, Vermont. On the point, a pair of torpedo
boats EMD GP9s and one of the ordinary kindl
The wreck was a spectacular one. Forty-nine cars of the 94-car
eastbound freigllt derailed near or on the bridge, tIle force of the
derailment causing the bridge to collapse, piling 45 cars into a
heap of twisted wrecI.age which caught fire and finally burned out.
Cause of the .lreck las alleged to be spreadirlg of the track under
the weight of todays new, heavier diesel units. TIle result of tIlis
disaster was to put out of service this important CN freight line
from Montreal to the Maritime Provinces and Halifax.
Canadian Natiorlal immediately attempted to reroute east and west­
bound freigllts via Campbellton, the Matapedia Valley and Riviere du
Loup. But, in no time, this line was cboked wi tIl traffic, both pas­
senger and freight. TIlere was no ay that CN could sclledule the hea­
vy freigIlt traffic from Halifax west over the Gort, Newcastle, Mont
Joli and Montmagny Subdivisions, to Levis.
It las not long before someone in CN operations discovered tIlat
there VIas an alternate route to Montreal from Moncton. This was CP
RAILs Short Line througIl Maine. On the east end, there was no pro­
blem in starting out of Island Yard, Saint Jolln, N.B., through the
area that used to be the Union Station and thence across the bridge
over the Reversing Falls to Lancaster, N.B. and the westbound main
line of CP RAIL.
Lancaster, it was CP RAIL all th.e Yay to Lennoxville, where
the first intersection with CN iron occurred. Instead of continuing
west on CP RAIL, Canadian National decided to get back on their ovm
iron at Lennoxville. And this led to the traffic jams.
l,·nlen CNs first westbound freigllt, running on CP RAIL right-of­
vTay, rumbled over the brid ge spanning the frozen Massawippi River, it
slowed almost to a stop, cautiously taking the east switch of the
little-used interchange track which comes off CP RAILs main line.
The train prowled through the back-yards of several industrial plants.
Before the van had rumbled around the curve behind Bishops University,
the lead unit had negotiated two more siding switches and was running
along the paSSing track parallel to the Sherbrooke Sub, main line,
east of tIle crOSSing with CP RAIL.
switch for the interchang~ track off CP RAIL had to .be hand­
thrown, but the passing track switch on CN could be opened and closed
CTC-style by the CP RAIL dispatcher in the former Quebec Central head­
quaters in downtmll1 Sherbrooke,
Until 2300 hours, 19 June 1970, there was an interlocking tower
at mile 65.97 of CP RAILs Sherbrooke Subdivision, where the Canadian
Pacifics Short Line originally crossed the Grand Trunk at grade.
It was the claSSiC, square, red interlocking tower, similar in ap­
pearance to many other CP interlocking towers from Saint John, N.B.
to Vancouver, B.C. As with many other, similar installations on Can­
adian Pacific, technology overtook this tower and after eTC signal­
ling was installed in the spring of 1970 between Sherbrooke and Len­
noxville, the tower at mile 65.97 was demolished during the same
And so, on 8 March, 1972, Canadian National began to operate
freigh.t trains over what surely must be one of the longest detours II
in Canadian railway history – 461 miles -between Moncton, N.B. and
nnoxville, Quebec. Before the wrecked bridge at Eatonville was re­
paired, 11 westbound and 10 eastbound CN freights were worked over
this distance. CP RAIL dispatchers at Saint John and Sherbrooke were
kept busy day and night handling this unanticipated flood of traffic,
the like of which had not been seen for years.
The first two CN westbound freights were numbered Train 815 and
later Train 80). On 11, 12 and 13 March, this train number was divi­
ded to Trains 80)A and 803B. Eastbound CN freight trains were Train
208, later Train 208A and 208B. Train 208B was frequently a solid
train of containers moving from mid-Ontario and midwest U.S.A. points.
Other westbound consists were solid trains of empty covered hoppers –
unit-tube-trains – a most unusual sight on CP RAlLis Short Line,
with all those cylindrical cars displaying a rather unique appearance
(CNs toothpaste herald).
The last westbound movement, Train 803 of 15 March -had some
trouble at Gordon, Maine, mile 58.3 of the Mattawamkeag Subdivision,
according to CP RAILs timetable, but in reality on Maine Central
Railroads right-of-way, 3.7 miles from the junction with CP RAIL
at Mattawamkeag, Maine. Train 803 headed into the siding at Gordon
early Thursday, 16 March, to clear CP RAIL Train 42, the Atlantic
Limi ted. CN unit Number 3678 on 803 s head-end struck a ridge of
hard ice on the siding and promptly derailed both trucks. When Trq~n
42 had cleared, the other three units of 803 backed the freight out
of the siding and then continued west to Brownville Junction, Maine.
CN 3678 was later rerailed and went east to Saint John on CP RAIL
Train 952.
CN used all kinds of power on
series units were frequently used,
some 4500s. GT units 4431,4438 and
units 3637,3686, 3692, 3727, 3741,
trains at least.
these extra trains. 3600-and
as well as a few 3800s,4400s
4910 appeared once or twice.
4472 and 4505 were seen on
pour it on through the station at Lennoxvill~, Quebec, heading up the
hill through Racey, on the way to Megantic and Saint John, N.B. This
is another of Jim Shaughnessys excellent photographs.
gineman of Extra 5329 west -double-headed, as usual. Now starts the
haTd climb up the hill to the Canadian Pacific yard in SherbrooketQue.
Jim ~haughnessy was there on 29 JanuarV 1954.
P1s and P2s, approaching the diamond crossing just west of Lennox­
ville, Quebec. The CN siding leading to the interchange track with
Canadian Pacific-CP RAIL is visible in the foreground. This was th~
scene on 12 February 1955 and Jim Shaughnessy was there.
through the station at Lennoxville, picking up spee~ for the climb up
the hill through Johnville to Birchton, Cookshireand Megantic. It was
cold 29 January 1954 when Jim Shaughnessy took this picture.


298 R A I L
One of the most unusual of these rerouted trains sported GT 4431,
CN 3693, GT 4910 and CN 3733 on Train 208 eastbound, with 85 10ads.On
Monday, 13 March, at about 1600 hours, Train 208 was highballing along
near Milan, about 15 rail miles east of Megantic. With a gross tonnage
of 5,369 tons, this was the second heaviest CN freight to operate over
the detour, the heaviest train being Train 208A of 12 March,checking
out with 90 loads at 6,217 tons.
For power, this Train 208A had CN 4472, CN 450?, CN 3741 and CN
4587. Train speed was said to have fallen to as low as 4 mph. on
some of the grades east of Lennoxville.
It is interesting to note that both of these heavy freights di­
vided the tonnage at about 1350-1500 t~ns per unit, which is consid­
erably in excess of the 1200 tons per unit, usually allocated by CP
RAIL over this difficult part of the subdivision.
CN crews ran from Montreal to Sherbrooke, where they took their
8-hour rest period. From there, they made the entire run through to
Brownville Junction, Maine. .,Testbound, the crews made the through run
from Brownville Junction to Montreal. Moncton crews took the freights
to Saint John, rested there and then ran through to Brownville Jun­
ction, hoping that they would not exceed the 14 hours of service per­
mitted. Sometimes they barely made it!
CP RAIL provided pilot crews, an engineer and a conductor, be­
tween Lennoxville and Megantic, Megantic and Brownville Junction Br­
ownville Junction and McAdam and McAdam and Saint John.
In sum, Canadian National used two models -RS18s and GP9s
with 33 different units from two railways -CN and GT -to make
this big move.
whole operation was concluded with quite a commotion. The
last eastbound train had 80 cars, including many containers, with
units Numbers 4487, 4494, 3637 and 4492 on the head-end. Unfortun­
ately, this freight began to negotiate the sidings, yard tracks,Col­
lege Street and the various switches in Lennoxville about 1630 hours
on 15 March. Since many of the citizens of Lennoxville and the sur­
rounding countryside work in Sherbrooke and, at this hour, were dri­
ving home, there was a traffic jam of monumental proportions.
After 16 March, railway activity on CP RAILs Short Line de­
clined considerably. Traffic jams caused by freight trains were th­
ereafter much less frequent in Lennoxville and train-watching sure
isnt what it was in March, 1972.
~ A QUARTET OF GP9s -GT NO. 4904, CV NO. 4925, CV NO. 4923 AND GT NO.
4447, idling on the re~y track between assignments, at Central Ver­
mont Railroads Italy Yard, St. Albans, Vermont, 8 April 1972.
~ierre Patenaude took the picture.
Railways Numbers 4483, 4495 and 4597, idling at the Central Vermont
Railways servicing tracks at St. Albans, Vermont, on 8 April 1972.
Pierre Patenaude was on the spot to take the picture.
: –
Tho QU6b6C TraIn f6rry
of ~g~4
S.S. Horthen.
One of the most remarkable vessels ever
to appear on the vlaters of the St. Law-
rence River was, without doubt, the
S.S.Leonard. For about three years,
this train-ferry linked the two sections
of the National Transcontinental Railway
on the north and south shores of the St.
Lawrence, between Quebec City and Levis.
In Volume 2 of his history of Canadian National Railways –
TmlARDS THE INEVITABLE -Colonel G.R .Stevens describes the circum­
stances which led to the construction of the National Transcontinen­
tal Railway, the second of the truly main line railways across Can­
ada. Its genesis was entirely political. Sir ililfred Laurier, leader
of the Liberal Party and Prime Minister of Canada at that time, vIas
the architect of the enterprise. The new railway was justified part­
ly because of economic necessity, partly because of political in­
ducements.and partly because of Sir 1Vilfreds personal vanity.It was
not, in the end, successful as an enterprise. Colonel Stevens sums
it up preCisely: Seldom has a parliamentarian of unstained char­
acter carried off any matter with such a high hand and with such de­
plorable reSUlts. But this unsuccessful enterprise did cause the
production of a very remarkable vessel.
The surveys for the National Transcontinental began in the
autumn of 1903. The Eastern Division from Moncton diagonally across
the Province of New Brunswick to Levis, opposite Quebec City, was to
be constructed first. About 150 miles of duplicate railway might have
been saved had the National Transcontinental joined the existing line
of the Intercolonial Railway at Saint-Jean-Port Joli, but the NTR
chose to build a new line about 30 miles east of the ICR for the en­
tire distance to Levis.
The key link in the slightly over 1,~00-mile Eastern Div­
ision of the NTR was the bridge which would carry the railway over
the St. Lawrence River. It was to be high enough above the water to
allow ocean liners to pass underneath without difficulty and the
cantilever span was to be even longer than that of the Forth Bridge
in Scotland, the most remarkable engineering structure of the time.
First considered in 18~7, no firm plans for the Quebec Bridge were
during her speed trials. The navigation bridge, the perimeter catwalk,
the moveable tidal deck and the methOD of braCing it are all clearly
visible. Pnoto courtesy Messrs. Cammell Laird & Co.

made until 1898, when the Privy Council of Canada approved the gen­
eral plan for a cantilever-type bridge over the St. Lawrence. It
was proposed that the bridge would carry a double line of railway ,
electric tramway tracks, two vlalkways for pedestrians aDd a ro­
adway for horse-drawn traffic.
The location selected for the new bridge was about six
miles upriver from Quebec City, near the mouth of the Chaudiere River
on t{]e south shore. Hork on the substructure began in October, 1900.
l, means
of linking the north and south shores for local traffic, it
soon became of paramount importance as an integral part of the Na­
tional Trancontinentals 1,804-mile Eastern Division main line.
In New Brunswick, construction of the railway from Moncton
began in May, 1907 and by March, 1909, lrO miles of roadbed and 47
miles of track had been completed. On 24 November 1911, the new line
was opened from Moncton to Edmundston, New Brunswick -231 miles
and a tri-weekly mixed-train service was establis~ed, operated by
the Intercolonial Railway.
In the Province of Quebec, construction lagged interminably
it was not until 1912 that the Edmundston -Riviere Bleue ( L~5
miles) section was opened. Through traffic to Levis was inaugurated
on 1 July 1914. On the north shore of tLe St. Lawrence, contracts for
250 miles of railway were in ~/ork in the spring of 190(3. By 1912, the
rail-head had advanced north aDd west to Tachereau. Througll nortl~ern
Ontario, the rails were laid slowly and with difficulty across the
Precambrian Shield. But progress was relentless and on 17 November
1913, the final gap between Grant and Nakina, Ontario (131 miles)vlas
Thus it was that when the National Transcontinental Rail­
way from Moncton, New Brunswick to Hinnipeg, Manitoba was placed in
operation on 1 June 1915, there were still about 2,000 yards of the
Eastern Division yet to be completed. This distance included the ap­
proaches to the Quebec Bridge and the bridge itself.
l~eanwhile, an interim means of getting trains across the
St. Lawrence was urgently required and it was decided that a train­
ferry vlOuld be used. This was not the first time that this problem
had been faced. In September, 1382, the North Shore Railway (Montreal
to Quebec City) and the Quebec and Lake St. John Railway, both north
shore lines, had discussed such a proposal with the Intercolonial
Railway on the south shore of ttl~ river. These discussions continued
in 1883, but without any definite deciSion or recommendation.
But Sir Wilfred Laurier and his Cabinet were in no mood to
wait. Accordingly, the Government of Canada placed an order with
Messrs. Cammell Laird and Company, Birkenhead, Cheshire, England, in
1912, for ,hat is probably the most unique train-ferry ever built.
and Company of Birkenhead, England, before the actual construction of
the vessel was undertaken. The cars on the moveable tidal deck are le­
ttered National Transcontinental Railway of Canada. This remarkable
model is today exhibited by the Borough of Birkenhead in the Wirliam­
son Museum; H.H.G.Arthur,F.L.A., F.R.S.A.,Borough Librarian & Curator
made these picturers available.
The vessel vlaS Carrunell Lairds Number 797, was launched on 17
lJary 191L~ and vias completed at the end of July following. She
intended to be an ice-breaker as well as a train-ferry, the
qualification being r.ecessary since the river in t~e vicinity
Quebec City frequently was blocked lith drifting ice or was
Originally, tile vessel IJaS to be named the Ottawa, but
sile viaS subsequently c:.ristened the S.S.Leonard, probably ir. hor.or
of Lieutenant-Colonel n.H.Leonard, soldier, engir:eer, author and
sole member of tI,e governments National rranscontinental Railway
CommiSSion, when it was reconstituted in 1911.
Hegardless of her name, tlle liS .S.Leonard vlaS a remarkable
and marvellous argosy. Iter steel llUll was 32G feet long, wit], a beam
of 65 feet and a draft of about l~ feet. So far, so good! A vessel
of adequate length and beam, drawing a satisfactory depth of water
for navigation between Quebec City and Levis. Her propelling macLin­
ery conSisted of two sets of triple-expansion, condenSing,
supplied wttil steam by eight, single-ended, cylindrical ooilers, work­
ing under natural draught.
To improve ller navigational ability, tile vessel lad an ice­
propellor of nickle steel at her bow, which was driven by a compound
condensing er.gine. The S.S.Leor.ard was built to Lloyds special
survey and was constructed for the carriage of passenger and frei­
ght trains at all seasons of the year . It was at this juncture,how­
ever, tilat all resemblance to an ordinary steamship suddenly disap­
Above the main deck was the structure which carried tIle
platform vlhich carried the train. The structure was a complicated
lattice-work of steel beams and braces, the moveable steel deck,cal-
led a tidal deck, being the most important part. On this ti dal
deck lere tllree railway tracks each about 272 feet long. The deck
rested on castings and was capable of being moved up and down th-
rough a distance of about 20 feet. The total wei~lt of the platform
and tile train was raised and lowered by means of ten vertical lift­
ing screws, mounted along each side of the vessel and supported on
columns. These columns were stayed against longitudinal transverse
thrusts by lattice buttresses.
The lifting screws which were required to do all the load­
carrying were hung on ball-bearings from the top and were powered by
means of lorm-gears, driven by horizontal shafting which ran along
the length of the vessel on each side of the main deck. The shafting
was driven through bevel gears from a four-cylinder, high-pressure
steam engine, located below the main deck. The total arrangement was
rather difficult to visualize, to say the very least!
Tile shafting, gearing and screw-jacks were designed to
lift the tidal deck, loaded with a train and locomotive – a dead
weigllt of about 1,400 tons -througll a distance of about 20 feet. At
eacll end of the tidal deck, a llinged gangway or apron was suspended
at one end. VThile the adj ustable tidal deck could be raised and low-
ered at the rate of about 1 foot per minute to compensate for any
stage of the tide, the apron allowed for slight changes in height
~ of the Mersey River, off 8irkenhead and Liverpool in August, 1914. This
photograph appeared in a history of Messrs. Cammell Laird and Company
is reproduced with their kind permission.
due to variations In the trim or heel of the ship, resulting from un­
equal distribution of weight while loading or unloading coaches or
To complete this incredible superstructure, a promenade was
built all around the top of the superstructure above the tidal deck,
with a bridge platform forward, from vlhich all steering and man­
oeuvering were directed. Below decks, the boiler rooms were arranged
in wing compartments amidships, vIi th the coal bunkers and tidal-deck
engine room between them. The main propelling engines were situated
aft of the boiler rooms and the engine for the forward ice-propellor
was located in the hold just aft of the forepeak bulkhead.
The IIS.S.Leonard
was provided with electric lights through­
out and electric motors raised and lowered the end-aprons and elec­
tric winches could llaul cars on and off the tidal platform. Double
windlasses were fitted, one on eacD side, with slip drums for moor­
ing. The officers and crew had quarters below the main deck forward,
on both sides of the ship. Steam connections were available for heat­
ing the coaches during the winter-time river crossing.
On 28 July 1914, the vessel (named IIS.S.Tranmere
, accor­
ding to the BIRKENHEAD AND CHESTER ADVERTISER of 1 August 1914) de­
scribed as a IInaval noveltyll, underwent her speed trials, achieving
a speed of 13 knots, as per specification. The owners were represen-
ted by Mr. Charles Duguid, Chief Constructor, Department of Marine
and Fisheries, Government of Canada and Mr. J.E.Hamilton, resident
After her acceptance, the S.S.Leonard made the trip to
Canada from Birkenhead under her own power. She was entered in the
Registry of Shipping for the Port of Quebec on 20 September 1915, .. rith
registered tonnage of 3,348 tons. Other particulars given in the
Registry of Shipping do not agree with the original dimensions quoted
in the press reports from Birkenhead.
An examination of the model of the S.S.Leonard today ex­
hibited in the 1;lilliamson Art Gallery and Museum, Birl~enhead, re­
veals that three passenger cars could be accommodated on each of the
three parallel railway tracks on the tidal deck. From this, it may
be concluded that the vessel could take an engine, two baggage cars,
and six coaches or parlor-sleeping cars in one crossing. Similarly,
about 15 boxcars of the period, together with the engine and caboose
could be ferried across the river together. It may be supposed that
two trips .. lOuld have been necessary to transport the normal freight
train of that time.
The S.S.Leonard continued in this essential train-ferry
service across the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City until the
Quebec Bridge was completed and opened for traffic on 3 December
1917 -about 3 years.
The subsequent l1istory of this unique vessel is of interest.
The British Government had indicated to the Government of Canada that
the S.S .Leonard was urgently required for the ferrying of war ma­
teriel across the English Channel from Southampton to Cherbourg, in
the terminal months of Horld jTar 1. Accordingly, the train-ferry made
the return voyage to England in 17 days during the early months of
1918. A new mooring dock with three parallel rail lines was built
near an existing ferry slip at Southampton, with a corresponding in­
stallation at Cherbourg. Train-ferry service began operating on 6
1918, only a few days before the Armistice on 11 November
ich ended the war. During this brief period, the S.S.Leonard was
simply T.F. 4. In March, 1919 -the war being over -the
train-ferry service between Southampton and Cherbourg ceased to op­
erate, but their terminal facilities were not dismantled until 1927.
The T.F. 4 was sold to the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company
converted to an oil tanker at the yards of Smith Drydock Company,
Middlesborough, England. Renamed the S.S.Limax, she was of 4,718
gross tons, She was finally scrapped in 1932.
The S,S.Leonard of the National Transcontinental Railway
was a remarkable vessel in many ways. Of an unconventional design ,
her career in the service for which she was designed was brief. Her
subsequent history in a similar service between Eng~and and France
was ephemeraL Even her design, which certainly was adequate for the
intended purpose, was not -as far as can be determined -perpetuated.
Had the S.S.Leonard
remained in Canada, she might well have passed
into the ownership of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, since
only at Saint John, N.B. and Digby, N.S, do the tides vary suffi-
ciently to warrant the use of SUCll a train-ferry in a potential rail­
way operation.
The Author would like to thank most particularly the
lowing persons .lho offered assistance, advice and information for
preparation of this paper:
H.B.G. Arthur, F.L.A.,F.R.S.A.
James E. Pearce, Esq.
John Collins, Esq.
C.J.M.Carter, Esq.
BIR1 BIRl Borough Librarian & Curator
Central Library, Birkenhead,
Cheshire, England.
Assistant to the Chairman &
Managing Director, Cammell Laird
& Company, Birltenhead, England.
43 Greenway, Greasby, Wirral,
Cheshire, England.
Editor, SEA BREEZES, Liverpool,
P. Ransome-Hallis Ian Allen
Limited, Shepperton, England.
Birkenhead, England (1914).
Birkenhead, England (1914).
tanker from a train-ferry. The picture was taken in October, 1930,
two years before she was finally scrapped. The photo was kindly
provided by Mr. H.H.G.Arthur, Borough Librarian & Curator, City of
Birkenhearl, Cheshire, England •
…. ,
From Information Supplied
Mr. E. Ratcliffe.
Life, someone has cynically remarl<;:ed,
is full of surprises! It is also full
of perspicacious railway enthusiasts!
IVhenever the Editor is a little vague
in captioning a picture, as he was on
page 93 of the March, 1972 issue (NO.
2L~2) of CANADIAN RAIL, you can be sure
that some observant reader Iill send
the information that sets the record
The train in the aforementioned picture was composed of
two combination passenger/baggage cars, two freight cars and a con­
verted Horld War II US troop-sleeper J the whole being hauled at a
very considerable speed by Canadian Pacific Raih,ray Jubilee-type h-
4-4, Number 3004. The Editors caption said that the train was on its
way from somewhere to somewhere . Our member, Mr. Edlard Ratcliffe,
of Griffin Steel Foundries Limited, lmew where the somewheres were!
It was in the sunny summer of 1952, Iri tes Mr. Ratcliffe ,
that this unusual train took to the rails of Canadian Pacific to per-
form a special series of tests. The two combos, the two freight
cars and the converted troop-sleeper comprised the American Steel
Foundries test train. And the tests were to be performed on boxcar
trucks. Number 3004, providing the motive power, was driven during
the tests by tftr. J,J.Youngs, then Road Foreman of Engines for the
CPR. The combination cars were provided for the members of the test­
ing team and one of them could also be used for passenger truck tes-
ts, The converted troop-sleeper in the middle of the consist was
fitted with the measuring and recording equipment.
These 1952 tests on the CPR were primarily intended to
measure the ride qualities of various types of EX trucks at high
speeds. That was the reason Ihy Number 3004 was selected as the mo­
tive power.
The train, from front to rear, had the following configur­
ation: a combo, a boxcar fitted with one set of trucks to be tes­
ted, the converted troop-sleeper, alias the instrument car, the sec­
ond boxcar fitted with a set of yardstick or comparison trucks and
finally, the second combo.
To obtain a true evaluation of the capabilities of ~:eels,
trucks and brake systems under test, as many as possible of the test
condi tions llad to be kept constar.t, Instrumentation on the set of
trucks to be tested, car weights, train speeds and track cor.ditions
had to be tightly controlled,
At that time, l11. Ratcliffe was a member of ti;e j·1ecLar.ical
Department of the Canadian Pacific ~ailway Company and ~/aS on board
the train during every run made durin£!; the tvlO-ltleek testing period ,
The stretch of the CPR selected for the rur.s was tLat part of tl:e
) /estmount, Adirondack ar.d Sherbrooke SubdiviSions from Glen Yard,
[.1ontreal – ,There tIle test train tTas serviced ar.d stored -ar.d Brook-
port, Quebec, tIle junction of the Ne~lport Subdivisior.. The .,if~;)-
speed tests were carried out on tr:ose portior.s of tile line betweer.
Adiror.dack Jur.ction and St. Jollns, Quebec ar.d ,St. JoLr.s and,
the latter a comparatively shorter stretci ..
The American Steel Foundries test train V/aS desiened and cor.-
structed to make importar.t measurements or. steel railway .heel con­
tours, car-trucks and truck-brake designs. Before comine; to Canada
in 1952, the ASF test train ilad been in use widely in the Ur.i ted Sta­
tes and, in fact, the boxcars -ASFX 1940 and ASFX 19L~1 -are r.umber­
ed for the years in Thich they were actually purcllased. Prior to its
Canadian visit, the ASF test train had been in use on t:,e Illinois
Central Railroad by the Association of Americar. Railroads,mking very
comprehensive tests or. frei~lt car trucks.
More recently, tile ASF train ioas beer. working over a 20-mile
segment of the Burlington Northern, north of St. Louis, Missouri. The
tests conducted over tllis stretctl in 19(0 involved tlle evaluation of
different wheel-tread contours and the results Here reported in de­
tail in tile November, 1971, issue of RAILHAY LOCO!jOTIVES AND CARS.
During tllese llheel-test series, the wleels to oe studied
are mounted on one end of one of the ASFX boxcars, ad,;acent to the
instrument car. The boxcar is loaded to simulate different operating
condi tions. By changing the direction of travel of t.l1e test train,
the .,heels or trucks can be observed and t.heir charact.eristics re­
corded in both the leading and trailing positions. In 1970, closed­
circuit television was added to the usual battery of movie cameras
used to record the performar.ce of tile wheels and/or trucks.
But to return to the 1952 saries. Being a member of CPRs.Mec{l­
anical Department at tbe time, Mr. Ratcliffe er.joyed a superlative
advantage. He kr.e~l v,here and lben the ASFX test train lould be opera­
ting. Nr. Ratcliffe enjoyed yet anotber distir.ct advantage. Ee had,
for a fatber-in-law, 11r. A.I .Leggett, Distinguished ser.ior member of
the Association and excellent amateur photographer.
For these interconnected reasons, le are able to present a re­
markable picture by l1r. Leggett of the train to somevrbere. It is
a matter of sheer coincidence, of course, that VIr. Leggett happer.ed
to be at tbe station at St-Philippe, Quebec, fifteen miles west of
St. Johns, on the appropriate morning and at the precise time wher.
l1r. Ratcliffe was observing most particularly the speedometer in the
instrument car, midlay in the ASF test trair..
At tllat clandestined instant, lhen the train to somelrlhere
roared through the station, Mr. Leggett pressed the shutter-release
and the speedometer needle in Mr. Ratcliffes field of vision regis­
tered precisely 96.2 miles per hour)
And in the following fraction of a second, the train to
somewhere Ilad gone)
L1 mong those happy partnerships frequently
~ discovered amid the normal confusion
of life is that of summer and books.
There is nothing -in the opinion of
the Ilri ter -quite as relaxing as the
shade of a tree, a comfortable garden
chair or lawn swing and an interesting
book. Of the latter, there is a better
than ever selection this summer.
New Zealand comes a modest volume by Mr. R.J.Meyer,descri­
bing tIle discovery and development of the coal fields on South Is­
land, not far from the present-day town of Vlestport. The coal seams
of the Mount Rochfort Plateau -1,960 feet above the sea and lIt
miles from Hestport -were first discovered in 11360 and Mr. Meyer
describes in detail the means by which the coal was conveyed from
the plateau to the boats at Vlestport. Much has been written about
incline railways, but this operation was the most daring of them all.
Mr. Heyers book is a most interesting and remarkable history.
il-lessrs. David & Charles of RaihIaY Statiot~, Newton Abbot, Devon,
England, have forever endeared llemselves to the raihmy timetable
enthusiasts by reprinting Bradshaws August 1914 Continental Rail­
way Guide in its entirety -save for some pages of advertisements
with a foreword by 111r. J,H.Price. It is a majestic volume. Not only
are there fascinating advertisements for all the famous (and infam­
ous) hotels of that year, but the reader can peruse the sclledules of
the grands trains de luxeof Europe to SUCll exotic places as Cannes,
Algiers, Biarritz, Constantinople and many, many otller famous cities
and resorts. The express from Moscow to Irkutsk left on Hednesdays &
Saturdays at 11.30 p.m, This fascinating volume was the last, entirely
comprehensive Bradshaw produced before Horld var r. It is, indeed
a treasury for the railway historian and timetable enthusiast alike.
George Allen & Umlin Limited produced during 1970-71 a trio
of very readable bool~s on the railways of England and Scotland before
the grouping of 1923. iI-ir. O.S.Nocks Rail, Steam and Speed is vast­
ly entertaining, although it does repeat some episodes of British
railway history vlhich are very well-known and sometimes quite con-
tentious. iI-ir. E ,G ,Barnes llas written a second volume in Ilis two-part
history of the Midland Railway, summarizing the events in the years
1875-1922 on this most famous of Englands railways.
iI-ir. Campbell Highet, longtime active railwayman with the same Midland
Railway has authored a definitive history of steam locomotives
Scotland during the years 1831-1923. It is an interesting work
the exclusion of many of the smaller and lesser-known Scottish steam
locomotive builders of the 1830s and 40s is regrettable.
New Zealand Railway & Locomotive SOCiety
64pp., maps & b&w illus.
1971 (no price stated)
BRADSHAHS AUGUST 1914 CONTINENTAL GUIDE 584pp. European Timetables
David & Charles, Newton Abbot, Devon, England (Reprint) b 6.30
THE MIDLAND MAIN LINE 1875-1922 Barnes. E.G. 280 pp. maps & illus.
George Allan & Unwin Ltd., Park Lane, Hemel Hempsted, Eng.1971 E 2.75
SCOTTISH LOCOMOTIVE HISTORY 1831-1923 Highet, Campbell 240 pp. illus.
George Allan & Unwin Ltd., Park Lane, Hemel Hempsted, Eng.1971 84s.
RAIL, STEAM AND SPEED Nock, O,S, 163 pp. b&w illustrations
George Allan & Unwin Ltd., Park Lane, Hemel Hempsted, Eng. 1971 55s.
Editorial Staff CANADIAN RAIL
Octoher 1972
lill also be an occasion for ger.eral reJolclng amor.g the readers
of CANADIAN 3AIL. They can join the members and friends of the
Scotiar. Railroad Society, Vlho are quite jubilant over the acquisition
0: yet ar.other exhibit for their recently-formed railway museum. Not
cor.ter.t with acquirir.g the private car Ethan Allen (CANADIAN rlAIL,
No. 231, April, 1971), the Society has added the Georgia Peach to
the Scotian ~ailroad Museum!
Georgia Peach is no ordinary object. In her present state
she is a genuir.e 2-6-2 steam locomotive,which has been stored by the
Drummond Coal Company of vlestville, Nova Scotia, since she was re­
tired ir. 19G7. iifestvi11e is located in the heart of the Ste11artoD­
Nel Glasgol. coal produciDg area of Nova Scotia, about 100 miles nor­
theast of halifax and 11 miles from Pictou, on the way to Ne:i Glas-
gov.~ •
The six-viheel s[itcher, today kr.own as the Georgia Peach, was
built by tile BaldwiD Lccomotive ~Jorks of Philadelpllia, U.S.A. in 1911
(B/N 367(3) for tile Jacl~sonvi11e Terminal Railroad, as its Number 4.
After some 20 years of service, Number 4 Has sold to the Southern
Iror. Equipment Compar.y of Atlanta, Georgia ar.d it Ivas at this time
that the sobriquet Georgia Peach was acquired.
The Georgia Peach came to tilE Drummond i·jine of the Intercolor.­
ial Coal Company of ,1estville about 19jO. The coal companys
master mechaDic lost r.o time ir. addir.g a two-vheeled leadir.g truck
and a tlJlo-:,heeled trailir.s truck, so that the Georgia Peach could
r.egotiate the tlJlistiDg, undulating track around the mir.e -both for­
hards ar.d bacl(Ilards.
Vlher. the Drummomj Mine and its accessory railvlay became the
DrummoDd Coal Compar.y, Number 4 ieDt along as part of the sale. She
contir.ued to haul loads and empties to anG from the CN Ene until
char.git~g tectmology made rler cODtinued operatio1: ur.profi table.
Number L~ s last task Iias to ilelp relail iler successor, a GE
diesel-electric locomotive, aftel a slight misilap. (lhen the di2sel llas back oc the track, NU:71ber 4 s duties Here termicated. But
she I;as cot sold to tiie scrapperJr~,~ith:;r Has slle left outside to
suffer tilE rava;,;es of time. For reasons ther. best [(COViC to the Com­
pany, S11E ascuc carefully into a shed or: ttle poperty acd the cioor
Ilas ther: closec gCctly. And here aile stayed until she VIaS resurrec­
ted by the Scotiac Railroad SOCiety!
Today, Number 4 has biO plates or. her boiler Jacket. One at-
tests to her origic -Bald1lir., 1911, No. 367613 -aDd the other des­
igcates her or~e-time OHcer -Southerc Iroc & Equipmer:t No. 227[,.
The Georgia Peach is reuarkable historically in that she ,as
(a) the last steam locomotive to operate ic rever.ue service ic the
Province of Nova Scotia acd (b) tile last steam locomotive to belong
to her original Cacadian owner. The Scotian Railroad SOCiety ictends
to bring her from Hestville to Halifax where, ir. the fullcess of
time, the leading acd trailing trucks will be removed to restore the
Georgia Peach to her 1930 0-6-0 iheel arrangement. Naturally, the
move acd the restoration will require money, eveD though the labour
will be provided voluntarily by the Societys members. A campaign
to raise money is planned. ,~ail~ay enthusiasts who IOuld like to
help may send donations in advance to Georgia Peach, c/o The Sco­
tian Railroad Society, P.O.Box 798, Armdale Postal Station, Hal­
ifax, Nova Scotia.
brief revie~~ of the four -year progres s of the Museum might
be in order. Four historic railway cars have been acquired: (1)
an 1875 ex-Intercolonial !~aihray baggage car, built at Moncton, N.
(2) a well-appointed private car, the Ethan Allen, built in
1891; (3) a steel mail and express car, built for Canadian Nation­
Railways in 1939 and (4) a wood-sheathed caboose, built in 1907.
Two spur tracks have been laid on land leased from Canadian Nation­
al Railways for the Museum. A chain-link fence has been erected to
enclose half the museum site. Protective plywood or plexiglass co­
vers have beer. installed on all 11indo1;Ts and flood-lighting has been
provided. To date, tIle members themselves have invested some $ 5,300
in the Muse um.
Bob Tennant,jr., Editor of the Societys quarterly THE MARITI~lli
EXPRESS, says that if the acc!uisi tion of the Ethan Allen brought
llappir.ess to Halifax, tllen obtaining the Georgia Peach has brought
a project of the
publication, The Coupler, appeared with a completely new mast­
head, depicting a diesel-electric unit, decorated with the dog­
wood flower, the Provinces emblem, running at speed with a freight.
This is the first time that the masthead has been changed since the
publication first appeared in September, 1959.
In the same issue, BCR announced plans to construct one of the
largest tunnels in the Province, with a scheduled completion date of
1973. This single-track tunnel will begin at the east end of the
trestle ver Dawson Creek in West Vancouver and will have its north
portal near Horseshoe Bay and the terminal of the ferries to Nanaimo
other destinations. To cost an estimated $ 2.1 million, tlle new
tunnel will eliminate a stretch of track which has been a continuinr;
source of trouble to the railway. The existing portion of the right­
of-way between Dawson Creek and HorsesLloe Bay will be abandoned and
the track removed. Some choice building sites may thereby be created.
The new route will reduce track curvature considerably as well
as clipping off approximately 1.2 miles of line.
~1eanwhile, at Squamisll, BCR s ocean terminal at tile north end of
Howe Sound, there is great activity as development of the multi-mil­
lion dollar port facility continues on schedule. Phases I and II in­
volving the development of 42 acres and two deep-sea oerths, have
now been completed. 1:rnen completed, the overall port facility will
comprise some 600 acres of prime waterfront land.
announced that Canadian National Railways had placed an order
for )0 diesel-electric locomotives witll MUI Industries, Division of
l-lLH Jorthington Limited, a 52%-ovmed subsidiary of Studebaker-Hor­
thington Corporation of New York City.
This order, said to be worth $ 10 million, was for MU!-I models
M-420, 2000 hp., 4-axle units. Delivery is sc,!eduled to start in
April, 197) and to be completed oy June. The type of service for
which these M-420s are intended was not stated. S,S,Worthen.
is generally much like train-vlatchinr; anywhere else. In summer
72, leased units abounded on both CN and CP RAIL and the assortment
of pOvler on freights was remarlable. But on 20 July, sometlling quite
different and remarkable occurred. Observers were no little surprised
to see CP RAILs Train 2, the Canadian, roaring through Ste-Anne-de
Bellevue about 1905 hours EST, some 40 minutes late and making up
time with difficulty on the tight schedule, But these same O:lservers
were astonished only four minutes later when CNs Train 2, the Super
Continental, blasted around the reverse curve off the bridge and
through the station, intent on making up a few of tile 90 minutes of
accumulated lateness.
The Super roared east along the Lakeshore to the station stop
at Dorval, almost overtaking her rival. The Canadian was OS Dorval
at 1927 and 1929 EST, vThile the Super was OS Dorval at 19;;2 and
1935. It was almost a race ar.d the chances of it ever happening ex­
actly are ir.fir.itessimal. Tile Super is r.ormally due at Dorval at
165:: and tile Canadian at 1840.
But sometimes you can almost see tllese two famous trains roar-
ing througll Beacor.sfield, neck and neck, in the best tradition of
the Canada Atlantic and the Car.adian Pacific in the 1090s. That would
be a
sigl,t to tl.rill the most dyed-in-the-wool streetcar enthusiast!
Voyage de retour .••..•
II pouvait, l travers les fils du telegraphe,
Do~ les petits oiseaux senvolaient, ayant peur,
Le front llOrs du .lagon qu emportai t la vapeur,
Et les cheveux livres au vent qui les fouette,
Voir de Quebec decroltre au loin 1a silhouette
Et, semes de murs gris et de blanches maisons,
Verdoyer au soleil les vastes l.orizons.
(Avec tous nos excuses a Coppee)
that the Delaware & Hudson Railroad has sold its five ex-Denver
& Rio·Grande Hesterr. coaches, Numbers 21 through 25, to the Ferocar-
illes NaQionales de Venezuela. They departed Colonie, N.Y. on 10
August 1972 for Norfolk, Va., where they were loaded on a ship bound
for that cour.try. Thus, if AMTRAK service is resumed from New York
to Hontreal via the D&h, some of the equipment ir. the AJvTRAK pool
will be used.
also has a group who are active in the formation of a railway
museum for Canadas smallest province. In June, 1971, the Railway
History Committee of the Prince Edward Island Heritage Foundation was
formed. Originally, it consisted of six members, all interested in
railway history. Being an integral part of the Foundation, the Com­
mittee had no specific budget during its first year. This in no way
discouraged the group from undertaking a project, which was the pho­
tographing of the 121 railway stations on the Island. Simultaneously,
information was collected pertaining to these stations and old pho­
tographs of the Islands raihTays were discovered and copied.
A second project of the Committee has been to acquire a small
number of railvTay vehicles for the proposed raih/ay museum. An old
narrow-gauge boxcar, without trucks, has been found. An 1884 narrow­
gauge passenger coach will be donated, if the Committee can move it
Hhile the group meets fortnightly, two additional public meet­
ings have been held. The Committee has asked Canadian National Rail­
ways for the station at Elmira·and the ways top at 1.[atervale. These
buildings will form· part of the railway museum. In addition, the Com­
mittee is seeking to acquire some condemned standard-gauge cars for
display at the museum.
Ivlr. Allan Graham, Chairman of the Railway History Committee, was
recent visitor to the Canadian Railway Museum, Saint-Constant,Que.
During the discussions held with the Directors of the Museum, Mr.
Graham said that he believed that there was a good chance that the
museum site would be selected in 1973. The support of the P.E.I. Her­
i tage Foundation and tile citizens of tile Province were confidently
anticipated. Editorial Staff.
pictureci or. page 6) of the FebruarY,1972 CANADIAN rlAIL, is the
subject of a letter .cram Hr. E.F.Do//r.ard of Lachir.e,Quebec. iVlr.
DO·:ir.ard remembers that Number 23sLf became quite famous ir. ar.d
arour.0 Calgary, Alberta, during the last four or five years of
steam pOlier on the CPE. She ,las assigned to Train 542 -Calgary
to Fort Na::Leod -uhich departed in the evening and connected at
Fort MacLeod vlith the Crow -from jvledicir.e Hat, Lethbridge to
the Cro~s Nest Pass route -with a sleeper, cafe car and a num­
ber of express cars for Cranbrook, Nelsor. ar.d points west or.
the former Kettle Valley Raihray. Number 2j5!f returned to Cal­
gary r.ext morning -li th cars off the eastbound connection from
the Kettle Valley.
Engir.eer Bill Barrett, now enjoying his retirement, held this
run and Number 23:)-1· -Jas Bill Barretts engine. Painted tuscan
red with gold trim, 23~4 was kept ir. tip-top shape. Mr. Barrett,
othenlise known as jv[r. 2354, sometimes had to lend his en­
gine to freight creHs, who Here first suitably admonished to
take good care of her. The engine and the engineer were retired
at about the same time.
l-11. Dovrnard notes that the caption on the picture is Slightly
misleading. The photograph /ias obviously taken in the morning,
and Number 2354 is headed east. The observation car alongside
is likely that of the westbound DOminion, while Number 2354
probably on Train 523, bound for Edmonton, Alberta.
while all of these events were allegedly transpiring east of the
Hudson River. Almost simultaneously, D & H got a new President. Early
in August, Mr. C.B. Sterzing, formerly N&Ws general counsel, was ap­
pointed President of the D&H. Mr. Sterzing is interested in railroad­
ing in general and passenger service in particular. In the light of
these several events, it came as no great surprise to some when for­
mer D&H PA-ls, Numbers 16 & 18, came back from the Greenbrier Rail­
road and appeared at Colonie Shops on August 12.
By the time this news is in print, no doubt at least half-a-dozen
other things will have happened. Maybe, by Cbristmas, the Laurentian
will be running again) vlho knows? S.S.Worthen
of motive power, has leased two units from the Lake Superior &
Ishpeming Railroad, formerly leased by CP RAIL. The BCR also proposed
to lease four RS3s, ex-Delaware. /!G Hudson unitS, from United Railway
Supply of Montreal. One of the units, Number 4097, was painted in BCR
colours at CP RAILs St-Luc Diesel Shop, but was subsequently inspect-
cd by a representative of TICR and considered ur.acceptable, as were t:e
ot~er three ur.its.
BCR t.lereafter r.egotiated lease ar.d/or purchase of two C-Li·20s
from teie bar.l~rupt Le,igh & Iiudsor; River Railroad, Numbers 25 t;; 26.
Or.e of tilese ur.its required mir.CJr repairs. Tlle ur.its passed tLrough
St. La,nuert, ~)uebec, durins tile weel~ of Auc;ust ( and boti, were sC!jed-
uled for deliveryc.O tole BCR in mid-Aup:ust. Pierre Patenaude.
by AMTRAK, long discussed with Department of Transportatior. (USA)
finally became a reality in tile west on July 17, 1972, wher. Burlington
Northern began one passenger train each way daily between Van-
couver, British Columbia, and Seattle, Vlashington. In the east and
south, tllings moved a little rrore slowly.
in the United States, hauled by a steam locomotive, is the sub­
ject of a letter from Mr. Donald L. Etter of Willis, ~ichigan, U.S.A.
Mr. Etter send the accompanying photographs of Grand Trunk Vlesterns
Train Number 21, which ran between Detroit and Durand on September 20,
1961. This train is Lis candidate!
Mr. Etter writes As the train had been dieselized for some time,
the crew got their engine at the station at Detroit. Rather ttan run
them extra, the diesel switcher brought the engine to tl,e station
from the roundhouse at Milwaukee Junction.
At Durand, a diesel was ready for the return trip and the engine
crew ran the steam engine across the diamond and left her in charge
of an engine watchman. After a while, a yard diesel pulled the steam­
er up to the roundhouse.
GTH steam engine Number 6323, a 4-8-4 northern type, vms the last
steamer in service and this was her last trip.
date: 8 April 1972j The Subject: Central Vermont Railroads unit No.
1510, class GR-12c, model EMD SW12oo, stationary between switching
as~ignmentsj The Photographer: Pierre Patenaude.
At Detroit, MichiQsn, the
die~el yerd ~wltcher br­
ouqht the 4-8-4 from the
roundhou~e to the statton.
Train 21 of the GTIIl
arrived et Durand, Michigan,
4-1-4 No. 6323 pau~ad on
the crossing in front of the
Thlln unit 10. 790g. the yard
switcher, ~oved forward and
coupled an to No. 6323. No. 6323
than moved ahead
over the crossing, cut off
from her train. The date
was 20 Seotember 1961.
he end of the run for . 6323. The end
of the run
and the end of the
aselonment. And the end of
pUI:IU.hed oy t.he
C/ul/.mJJl iWllOlLDm:IOUClJ. J.ssocu.n~ :.:.:-.::,~~~ …….
A •• OOII!I.t.e
e 00 I!I.nnually
EDITOR S.S VVolt.b..n PR.ODUCTION P Jr.t:urphy
~Iullf:e … .,.. …..· ea.odieu Cnnmli:Il Rnih.a) I~um
…. ~. 11>1.1. .. t … … 1101.T .. ,01 … 1 A.~n …..
l)aUI .lo.rlt~ •. nl.Ul._ 10< •.• $ ... 1 .... ~. .c
1l.1I.:lo:U … • .. d … .I.p~.lJl.12for· ,,-*,_ ; •• 1<4_ .n
~ur .r ~ld. II~ l?~ l.a~,.,.. ~ …… 111 .
.. ~ ,.
. ..
.. ~
r.Do, ~.H. tol … • ~.
…. -•
M un .A , –.T_w_. .~ ~,
l.;.f T • …–.. .~
…… ICIl~ …. J •. ..,


_ ..
IIlrJTl _lU. I) ………

, -,

., . _ … ;(1 …..
~ • J .. Ll~ II H&n

Demande en ligne