Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 202 1968

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 202 1968

/~,: .. ~~ ….
. , ~.
, -=–= •
. –
I • – ~
. ,
. ~.
….. …..
/ /
• J
r .
. ,i
. ~.
.: r
I, ( I
Sketch by
Ro bert H8.lfyard 0
N o
founded in 1783 and incorporated
in 1785, is the largest city in an
otherwise rather lightly populated
province, and the second largest in
in Canadas Maritime Provinces.
DURING A P~RICD OF 62 YEARS, it had a street rail­
way system which, for its size, had a surprisingly large variety of
cars and equipment. The first attempt to establish a street railway
in Saint John was made in 1866 and, except for the decade 1877-1887,
horse cars ran until 1893, when the system was electrified. The fol­
lowing year, a new management took over, and the street railway was
rebuilt and reorganized as the Saint John Raih:ay Company, Further
expansion was slow there-after for the next few years, but in the
early twentieth century, many new lines were built and existing lin­
es were extended, so that there were 22 miles of track by 1913, near
ly double the mileage of 1900.
THE SAINr JOHN RAILWAY had experimented with six
double-truck air brake cars, bought from the Montreal Park and Is­
land Railway of Montreal, in 1903. A start was made in using these
cars on the Douglas Avenue route in Saint John, then the longest in
the city but they proved to be unsuccessful and were sold in 1906.
Following this abortive attempt to use larger cars, the Company ad­
opted a policy of employing single-truck hand-braked cars exclusive­
ly and, part from the six cars mentioned above, every street car
that ever ran in Saint John ~as single-truck and had hand-brakes.
This is all the more surprising in view of the steep grades on some
of the citys lines, but the Company strongly defended its position
by maintaining that hand-brakes were more dependable and therefore
safer in an emergency.
FOLLO~JlNG lHE 111ANSF£R OF some smaller cars to the
physically-disconnected new lines on the Citys west side, sixteen
new double-ended clerestory roof cars were purchased from the Ottawa
Car Company, in 1906. They were designed for left-hand operation as
the rule of the road in the Province of New Brunswick did not ch­
ange to the right until 1922. Six of these new cars were closed cars
numbered 80 to 90, even numbers, and ten were open,-numbered 81-99,
odd numbers. They were 32 feet long over-all and represented about
the maximum possible size for a single-truck car. The closed cars
were the first such single-truck cars in Saint John with cross seats
and, as originally built, set a new standard in comfort and handsome
apperance. Though they were extensivelyrebuiltin later years these,
trams were destined to continue in use for 42 years,-a record for
service in the Maritime Provinces.
PHOTO PAGE 190 I Saint John Ry 0 ce.r # 84 newly deli vered from the
builders, posed near Indiantown Wharf at the west end of the Main
st. line in 1906. Note the cross seats, and the doors arranged for
the Left Hand rule-of-the-road operation.
PHOTO BELOW: A crowd of spectators surrounds cars 71 and 84 ,over­
turned at the foot of King st. in the riot of July 1914. Both cars
survived to run again, and, although 71 was scrapped in 1924, 84
still had 34 years of service ahead of it.
Photos courtesy of Wilsons studios, and the N.B. museum.
A short lived experiment I The up1quitous #84, as st.Johns first
one man car, was fitted with the Calgary type corner door in 1920
but was soon converted. to a more conventional design. Note that it
is still left-handed. Photo courtesy of Wilsons Studios
PHOTO RIGHTI Rare view of #156
at Market Square in 1937. This
car W8.S converted from an open
type as pictured Rboveo R.Thomas
PHOTO LEFTI Open car # 81 on
Douglas Ave. about 19100 81
became a work car, but others
similar ran till the end..
Photo R.B.Melvin.
fHE FOLLOIHNG .tEARS saw the 80 s used on most of
the routes on the east side of Saint Johns famous harbour and,
following the completion of the bridge over the equally famous Re­
versing Falls, through service to the Citys west side was inaugu­
rated in the year 1916 and the 80s were thereafter seen on all
parts of the system. In July,1914,labour unrest in the port City
caused a strike, followed by a riot, in which a mob overturned two
cars in the centre of the City. An innocent victim of this vio­
lence was No. 84 which nevertheless was soon reparied and appa­
rently none the worse for its experience.
UNTIL 1920, ALL SAINf JOHN CARS were two man op­
erated but, in the latter year, an experiment was undertaken in
using only one man for car operation. The Saint John Railway had
been sold in 1917 to the New Brunswick Power Company and, by 1920,
the manager was T. H. McCauley, who had recently held the same po­
sition in Calgary, Alberta. Thus, it is not surprising that the
design of the one-man cars included the use of the ~corner» en­
trance door, so typical of the Calgary trams. Two cars,-one of
ghem No. 84, were converted to this new design and were used for a
short time, despite violent objections from the employees and a
considerable portion of the travelling public. In 1921, it was de
cided to convert all Saint John streetcars to one-man vehicles but
this change was made along more conventlonal lines, as Mr. McCauley
had gone to another company by then and the two ~corner~ door cars
were also converted to the standard layout.
BELOW I Car # 82 at Haymarket Square around 1945. discharges its
load of rush-hour passengers. 82 is the last surviver of the lot.
Photo Peter Cox.
3. 4.


IN 1922, THE RULE OF THE kO AD was chanp;ed to
the right-hand side, and the newer street cars were converted ac­
cordingly. Two years later, a major modernization program was un­
dertaken. New cars were built by the Saint John Ironworks and the
BOs, as well as the twelve arch-roof Tillsonburg (Ontario)-built
vehicles (Nos. 106-12B, even numbers) of 1914 were rebuilt in the
New Brunswick Power Companys own shops. The six remaining open
cars of the Bl class were rebuilt to closed cars and all 24 wooden
cars were given flat steel Sides. However, the former curved sid­
es of the BOs still showed the inward slope of the new steel pan­
els. Since the BOs were now used predominantly in rush hours,
their straw cross-seats were replaced by longitudinal wooden ben­
ches,-less comfortable, but allowing more standing passengers, In
In line with the new Company-created image, all cars were painted
Brunswick green, but this proved to be too dark for good visi­
bility in the heavy fogs which periodically roll in from the Bay
of Fundy and, in 1927, they were repainted a bright,-and much
more visible, red, instead. By 19)0, the N.B.~.C. had ta~en deli-
very of its last new car (No. 14B) and in that year, the odd-
numbered BOs (the former open cars) were renumbered 150-160, even
DURING WORLD WAR II, Saint Johns streetcar sys­
tem, strained to the utmost capacity of its resources in handling
the extra wartime traffic, began to show signs of strain. Combined
wi th defe:-rei or totally absent maintenance of track and eql~ipment
the result of course was deterioration of the entire system to a
marked degree. After the War, and with the simultaneous adoption
of buses in many other cities, this type of urban transportation,
took over Saint John transportation rapidly and it was obvious that
the days of the street cars v;ere numbered. The end came in August,
PHOTO LEFT: Interior vieT car #
80, about 1927. Gentleman stand­
ing is Mro Hazen McLean, super­
intendant of the line. He drove
the last Car in 194Bo
PHOTO ABOVE: #152 another con­
verted 81 class open car 1940.
Photos, R.S.Melvln, RoD.Thomaso
PHOTOS ABOVE: # 84 on Charlotte st. in 1946. with photo of
same cer 40 years earlier. # 80, same year. this was then the old­
est operating ceT East of Montreall #88 after its final rebuilding,
in 1935. waits at the West Saint John Terminus. Photo R.D.Thomas.
The once-essential cars were strioped and the bodies sold. Most
of the 80s had lasted until the end, althou~h they did not see­
much service after 1945.
IN TH~ ENSUING TWENTY YEARS, traces of the Saint
John Streetcars have disappeared more and more, through the years.
A number of the car bodies of the post-1914 cars are still in use
as sheds, but the 80s have gradually disappeared. No. 82, after
fourteen years exposure to the fierce maritime elements, was res­
cued barely in time, and is now safely preserved awaiting its th­
ird rebuilding, at the Canadian Railway Museum, Delson/St-Constant
Quebec. This car and a few photographs and records, are all that
remain of the series of streetcars, that served the eastern provin­
cial cities in Canada for a longer period than any others.
The foregoing article is one of a
series on the history and operat­
ion of the streetcar lines of st.
John,New Brunswick. A general des­
t1oD of the line was carried
In a pr1 evous J SSlJ.P of CANADIAN
p~ !T .• -It is hoped to pu bli sh a
complete history of this interes­
ting operation ~enarately in the
PHOTO LEFT: Early in 1948 a group
of 80s and 1508 stand silently
at Wentworth Barn under a cover
of snow awaiting the wreckers.
Photo R.D.Thomas
S.S. Worthen
DESPITE the rather lugubrious and calamitous pro­
nouncements Hhich appeared in a previous issue of this journal –
notHithstanding the several potential obstacles ennumerated Hhich
might prevent the realization of FERROVIA at MAN AND HIS WORLD
(et seq.), Montreal, 1968, its doors opened to visitors at 9.00
A.M., on Saturday, 6 JulY, 1968. And there Here plenty of in­
terested visitors Haiting at the front door ~ The follmling day
the croHd increased to the point Hhere there Has a constant line­
up waiting to enter the building.
THE OPENING of FERROVIA Has described in Section
Three of the Montreal STAR of 6 July, 1968, in a story by Harold
Poitras, illustrated by John Daggett. Mr. Poitras Hrote, in part,
as follO.,rs:
Primarily, the neH pavilion is a development of the Ferrovian
Society, a small group of railHay historians and enthusiasts,
Hhose idea of developing a special centre to house rare rail­
Hay models and other precious items Has officially approved by Hayor
Jean Drapeau, folloHing the closing of EXPO 67.
* * * * * *
After first naming the neH pavilion FERROVIA, latin for Iron
vlay, the member s of the or ganization teamed up vii th exhibi­
tion authorities under Guy Huot Director of MAN AND HIS ltJORLD,
and Horkmen under Andre Bachand, chief technician of the muni­
cipal shops department of the City of Montreal.
* * * * * *
The exhibits on display Hill cover the history of railHays in
Canada beginning in 1832 Hith incorporation in Lower Canada of
the Champlain and St. Lawrence Railroad.
* * * * * *
The pavilion includes more than 200 exhibits, including moving
models of trains, a 20-foot long by six feet Hide display of
model railroading in the 1930 days of steam locomotives. The model
vIas or iginally built for the Canadian Pacific RailHay,
and for many years Has used for railway display purposes. It
Has presented to the Ferrovian Society Hhich in turn, donated
it to MAN AND HIS HORLD for the enjoyment of all.
* * * * * *
The main attraction of the new pavilion is the unparalleled
display of a railway yard complete vlith a 16-foot long model
of the CPR steam locomotive No. 2841, surrounded by a raihTay
Hater tOHer, railway signals and a level crossing vratchman s
A charming model graces the unparallelled display of a complete
railway yard with a 16-foot long model of the CPR steam locomo­
tive No. 2851, surrounded by a railway water tower, railway sig­
nals and a level crossing watchmans tower. The engine model is
the property of Mr. O.S. Lavallee.
Photo courtesy Montreal STAR.
Next in importance are a genuine manual railway handcar, such
as used in grandpops day, a stearn locomotive bell and a five­
foot high pot-bellied stove, around which the railway travel­
lers assembled in smelly railway stations during cold winter
months awaiting trains.
* * * * * *
FERROVIAN officials, Orner Lavallee, director, and Norman Loy,e,
trustee, both of whom have played an important part with other
members in the development of the pavilion and its exhibits,
explained the many features of ancient ,yood, steam, electric
and diesel locomotives on display.
* * * * * *
Dr. Marcel Rogers special collection of scale
models including a dining car completely fitted
cloth and table service is also on display.
president of the FERROVIAN SOCIETY. Ed.).
* * * * * *
passenger car
out vith table
(Dr. Roger is
There is also an assortment of coloured photos of the new CN
turbo-train, taken while shattering railway transportation re­
cords in runs between Montreal and Toronto.
* * * * * *
IT ~VOULD be unfair to reveal all of the exhibits
on display at FERROVIA, but it is necessary to set the record
straight on several points. The pavilion itself, having been
given to the City of Montreal by the State of Maine, remains the
property of the City. The objects on display, courtesy of the
FERROVIAN SOCIETY and others, are on loan. They are completely
ennumerated prior to placing in the display cases, and are ade­
quately covered by insurance. Haintenance of the building and
provision of display facilities are also the responsibility of
the City.
THERE ARE a number of excellent and varied models
in HO gauge, as well as Mr. Jack Hewitsons scale models of the
Canterbury and Whitstables Invincta and the Byto>ln and Pres­
cott RailHays Ottav,a of about 18)4. There are tHO operating
model rail>lays, both apparently Lionel 0 gauge one of the
1930s vintage and the other of the late 1950s, Other rail>lay
car models on display are either commercially made (as for the
French National Rail>lays) or normal tinplate (as for the Bur­
lington Pioneer Zephyr the Pennsylvania Senator or the Boston
& Haine Geeps).
THE PHOTOMONTAGES have been produced by the photo­
graphic departments of the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific
and include some of the most excellent >lorks of that peerless
photographer, Nicholas Morant.
IIfITHOUT QUF.STION, FERROVIA is for the mass of cur­
ious visitors to MAN AND HIS WORLD. To the casual observer, it is
impressive and >lith the background sounds of steam locomotives at
>lork, it is tremendously atmospheric. But to the rail>lay enthu-
siast, it is something else. The scale of the models as well as
the names of the oxhibitors are difficult to find. Since both of
the operating layouts are essentially store-bought they are not
representative of the scale model builders art. They are opera­
tional only in the sense that one train runs around and around a
circular track at a constant speed, except when they are inter­
fered Hith by experimentally-minded attendants. There is no one
ordinarily present who can provide even the most elementary in­
formation about the various exhibits.
11 WOULD HAVE been eminently desirable to produce
an exhibit which might have illustrated the development of the
railways of Canada and elsewhere in an orderly and informative
fashion. But this is NOT what was wanted, because the majority
of the crowds ,ould have been completely and totally unconcerned
wHh anything logical and informative. They want to be impressed.
They are! The locomotive bell on display is fitted with a white
pull-cord and despite valiant attempts to muffle it, the pavilion
is constantly ringing with its merry peal.
SHOULD YOU go to see FERROVIA? Yes, of course~ Not
only will it assuage your curiosity, but it will provide you with
a good idea of what can be done with a small budget and good
strategy. It ill also give you an additional yardstick which you
may apply to other similar activities in the Montreal area, the
Ottawa region, the Toronto district and Upper Canada Village. Not
only that, but admission toFerrovia is included in the general
admis s ion fee for MAN AND HIS l~ORI1) ~ (1968 et seq.).
Mr. Charles Bertrand and Mr. Andr~ Bachand of the Montreal muni­
cipal Shops Department, main designers of the new FERROVIA pavi­
lion, get a work-out on an old handcar. The handcar is on a
revolving table and, together with a mannequin representing a
tramp, form part of the main display in the pavilion.
Photo courtesy Montreal STAR.
JUNE, 1968
{)f successful operati0B.~.and we await .. Vi th keen anticipa-.
tion the publication of many interesting stories on Mar­
itime railways in the pages of the MARITIME EXPRESS.
, .

][N THE MAY, 1967 issue of CANADIAN RAIL, there
was a short report on the CLAYDON CANNONBALL, other­
wise described as Winnipeg Alderman Leonard Claydons
attempt to tour the City using Winnipeg Hydro steam
locomotive number 3. Further developments during 1967
are described by Messrs. Younger, LePage and Downing,
Association members in Winnipeg.
ALTHOUGH WINNIPEG HYDRO number 3 and the City Fathers
had raised a pretty good head of steam, during the
first quarter of Canadas Centennial Year, it just
wasnt sUfficient to move number 3. So, number 3 sat
in the Water District Yard in St. Boniface from Octo­
ber, 1966, unprotected from the ~leather. Being much
concerned about the possible damage to the 85-year
old veteran, the Manitoba Live Steamers Association
applied to the City Council, for permission to main­
tain and test operate the engine. This permission
(authority) was granted in May 1967. Greater Winnipeg
Water District Railway agreed to allow operation on
their tracks while Great West Coal Sales Company sup­
plied 4 tons of coal. Shell Oil Company, Limited do­
nated the needed lubricants for the locomotive. CN
and CP motive power departments offered technical ad­
vice and personnel to assist in preparations for
steaming up number 3 for the first time in 6 years.
Hessrs. Ralph Grant, Ed Colson, and Wilf Henderson,
regular CN engineers, were the volunteer engine crew.
It looked like number 3 was all ready to go~
ON JUNE 22, NUMBER 3 made a yard-limit trip of one
mile and performed admirably. The next day, a repeat
performance was given. Eigbt days later, on June 31,
number 3 was again in steam, not to make a test run,
but to be the star of a Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation recording project. Just when the project
seemed to be on the brink of success, complex legal
technicalities intervened, and number 3s fire was
dropped, pending resolution of these problems.
THE SUMHER SLOWLY rolled along, and nO solutions were
available. Despite the efforts of John LePage, Ralph
Grant, Ed Colson and Gordon Younger, no continuous
operation could be arranged. However number 3 was in
steam again on September 4, for boiler treatment pur­
poses, and finally ended the season on October 14,
with a trip to Deacon -eight miles out and eight
miles back on the tracks of the Greater Winnipeg Water
District Railway.
SINCE THEN THE undaunted enthusiasts have been trying
to sort out the legal tangle, to permit operation of
number 3 over CN trackage, from St. James to Grosse
Isle, Nanitoba, 15 miles northwest of Winnipeg. The
combo to be used was built in 1908 by the Pullman
Company for the Keweenaw Central Railroad in northern
Michigan. The Winnipeg Hydro bought it second-hand
in 1920, when the K.C.R. closed down.
IN ORDER TO raise the starting capital of $6000 which
will be required, the Vintage Locomotive Society has
been organized and membership certificates at $1 each
are noW available. Railroad enthusiasts interested in
becoming members ar~ encouraged to write to Hr. K.
Gordon Younger-267 Vernon Road-Winnipeg 12, Manitoba,
Canada. A Winnipeg printing firm has agreed to print
10,000 certificates free of charge. A second firm has
offered to contribute the advertising material. The
Society has applied to CNS legal department for per­
mission to operate the train, over company trackage,
from the Broadway and Nain Street station. Crown
Life Insurance Company has prepared a prospectus in
the amount of $3 minion, in order that all parties
involved will be protected.
MEANWHILE THE VINTAGE Locomotive Society have accumu­
lated some spare parts and private industry has been
prevailed upon to provide essential maintenance for
the engine. Additional offers of assistance have
come from CNs Transcona Shops. This Winter, number
3 has been resting in the Hydros St. Boniface Yards,
carefully swathed in tarpaulins-front and back, which
have protected it from the snow and sleet in anti­
cipation of next years trip over CNs Oak Point Sub.
AND SO ALTHOUGH the initial plans may have gone some­
what awry, and despite the footling of the City
Fathers, and notwithstanding the apparently insoluble
legal complexities, our stalwart enthusiasts in
Winnipeg ARE going to bring their admirable project
to fruition. Operation in the summer of 68 seems
likely and it is an odds-on certainty that number 3
and combine will be a front-runner in 1970-Manitobas
Centennial Year~
N~ .710
TI;Jis Certires That_-I~~ C~~~~.!A-..~ROiI!…!:f,15 rOHI t:iL_i~S~Clilrl ON ____ _
is a Wlel,t,tbel ;11 gooilstaJ10il1f} of the Vil1tage Locol1JOtive Speiet,) ClJ10 is l;Jercwith .
i I1vesteil il1 tbe OrDer of the Tallol1!pot. while of 5111a(( It10I1etilr,) valMC} tl;Jis mell1-
bcrshipis priceless as al1 e)(/1Ie:<,,~ion of civic priile in OMr train anil Cowllt1Mnity,
Oulsid~ of this prIde of rnemtlerstlp, Ihe only OU1!;!r pdVileges. <-lffordt.(i.1re the joy In ogling. photographing, reminiscinll. and any
and all.othor happiness steam
JoccmQti>.Cs ofl~r the true railroad lov,;:r.
111 Witness Tbercof1tlJc saiil Society has ca~lsc{) tbis
Certipcate to be signcoh;9 its ilMiy tnltlJorizeil ofrcers at
Winnipeg} Manitoba} rbis-,-_. _. ___ ilay of_AD 19. __
must be added to the foregoing. Things have changed a
little,since it was written. Prior to the trip via CN
to Grosse Isle,the CNR requested liability insurance
to the value of $ 2,700,000. As you can imagIne, the
premium on such a sum is astronomical. Then,when the
run was re-planned for the G.W.W.D. line,conversations
with Winnipeg civic law department experts revealed
that they,too,required * 1,000,000 insurance coverage
with a deductible of ~ 100,000. The cost for this am­
ount for 6 months is ~ 800.
NOTWITHSTANDING boiler insurance to an
amount of $ 10,000,already obtained on number 3, the
City of Winnipeg asked that it be raised to from $ 20,
000 to $ 25,000. Moreover,operations insurance is con­
sidered essential,lest a derailment should force halt­
ing operations,with a consequent loss in revenue.
operation of any kind when such requirements are for­
ced on them? In any other circumstances,-particular­
ly if the plan had been formulated by a bureaucracy
anxious for recognition by the citizens,no difficulty
would be introduced.
THE PROGNOSIS FOR NO.3 and the INinnipeg
operation look rather poor,-for 1968,at least.However,
there is a Centennial brewing in Manitoba soon, and
this may change the possibilities somewhat. Let us hope
that this will come about,and that No. 3 WILL RUN 1
IN THE DAYS BEFORE the National Capitol Commission began
redesigning our Nations capitol,-Ottawa, the cars of the
Hull Electric Railway crossed the Interprovincial Bridge to
Union Station. Mr. Pierre Langevin,our member in Ottawa,has
drawn ths sketch from memory,showing the northern entrance
to Union station, together with the Chateau Laurier Hotel on
the left and the locks of the Rideau Canal,on the right.The
centre track is the Canadian Pacifics line from Hull.
Cerp. permlsst0n of Mrso G.Moore to use the fD.mOlls cartoons of her late
husbs.nd Mro Gordie Moore. Mro Moore drp for the Montree,l Gazette
for years under the Around Ou.r Town. • : poke fun s.t the Montreal streetcar Onere t10n8 of the day. B.nd we
are pleased to present the first this month on our covero

Deliveries: up to 30 June 1968.
9 03/06/68 Atlantic 5052 14/06/68 Great Lakes
20 0 03/06/68 Atlantio
5053 14/06/68 Prairie
2041 13/06/68 Atlantic 5054 28/06/68 Prairie
2042 18/06/68 Atlantic 5055 28/06/68 Prairie
2043 21/06/68 Atlantic
Retirements: up to 30 June 1968.
852 a
GMD 1954 07/06/68
3000 7912 MLW 04/11/53 05/06/68
3238 b M-3478-10 MLW 27/04/67 06/06/68

808 81213 folLW 1955 05/06/68
286 A-1643 GMD 1959 05/06/68
6700 2850 CLC 14/12/54 10/06/68
15707 05/06/68
a) Sold to Columbia Cellulose from the Mountain Region on 07 June
1968. The unit was repainted solid yellow with a green C on
the cab. It left Vancouver for Williams Lake, B.C. on 14/06/68.
b) Unit involved in an accident at Pefferlaw, Ontario. See C.R.
#199, Page 133, for details.
Transfers: up to 30 June 1968.
Unit 8211 was transferred from the Atlantic Region in Moncton,
to Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland, on 01 May 1968 to switch the
standard gauge marine terminal located there. #6 was transferred
from Calder on the Mountain Region to Saskatoon on the Prairie
Region on 23 June 1968.
• •
POWER PHOTOS #47 TO #50: #47 shows CN 6533 waiting with Train 2
for a westbound freight in CTC territory at Miette, Alberta on 29
April 1966. #48 shows the freight, headed by CN 4120, starting to
take the siding. The last photo of the sequence, #49, shows the
move near completion, and Train 2 ready to leave. Photo #50 shows
the train board at Victoria, B.C. on 20 February 1968. Although
the chalk marks are Virtually unreadable, this board is still in
daily use. All photos by Eric W. Johnson.

~efore the turn of the century,it was
customary for the owners and propri­
etors of various and sundry switching
lines to exchange annual passes with
thuir larger associates. The tradi­
tional logic behind this rather lop­
sided exchange was that, while the
tiny switching lines werent anywher~
near as big as theiT transcontinental
counterparts,they were just as wide.
Sometimes they were also more profit­
INCORPORATED IN 1927,the Mattagami Railroad Company was nec­
essary for a very particular reason. Who could have foreseen, dur­
ing the construction of the transcontinental line which later bec­
ame part of Canadian National Railways,that it would miss,by three
miles,the location of a very important industrial development?
IN THE BEGINNING, there wasnt even a station at this location
but in 1927,a large paper mill was constructed on the Mattagami Ri­
ver,three miles from the Canadian Nationals main line. This was
the situation,-and it posed a problem. The solution was the con­
struction of the Mattagami Railroad.
IT IS SAID THAT if you stand at the mid-pOint of the Mattagami
Railroad,you can see both ends. On a clear dcy,that is! ~Jith the am­
ount of traffic normally handled by this short-line,it is doubtful
that you could stand on the right-of-way that long. Until 1967,you
could buy a ticket and travel the three miles as a passenger. But
with the declining passenger traffic, the Company decided to discon­
tinue passenger service. In 1966,only 50 passengers were carried.On
the other hand,it is estimated that in its 50 year existence, the
line has carried over 6 million tons of freight,mostly raw materials
for,and finished products of Abitibi Paper Companys large paper pr­
oducing mill,which IS Smooth Rock Falls,Ontario.
ALSO MADE OBSOLETE by changing patterns in railway motive po­
wer technology is Mattagami Railroad Companys number 100,-a vet­
eran 2-6-0,which,for meny years,performed yeoman service over the
three miDas to Smooth Rock Falls Junction. Normally,financial re­
quirements might have dictated that Abitibi convert the loyal old
locomotive to scrap,but in a magnanimous gesture,the Company de­
cided to present the veteran to the Town,as a permanent memorial.
And so,on September 29th.,1967,Abitibi Paper Company Limited pre­
sented the ancient steamer to the Town of Smooth Rock Falls,Ont.
The restored 2-6-0 will be permanently located in front of the
Towns hotel.
ST RIKE We regret the delay you experienced in receiving
your July-P_ugust issue. We were caught in the Canadian postal strike
which at the time of this writing is still in effect.
published monthly except July & August combined )
oy the
Assooiate Membership inoluding 11 issues of
Canadian Rail e. 00 annually.
DISTRIEUTION J. A. Eeatty & F.F.Angus
Mr. J.A.Beatty, 4982 Queen Mary Road, Montreal 29, Quebec, Canada.
OTTAWA Maj. S.R.Elllot. Seaty., P.O.Box 352, Terminal A ottawa Onto
ROCKY MOUNTAIN Nr. James R.Webb, Secty., 1470J -104 street, Edmonton.
OTTAWA VALLEY KIF.Ch1vers. Apt. J, 67 Somerset st. WJ ottawa, Ontar10.
SASKATCHEWAN J .S.Nicholson, 2)06 Arnold st Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
PACIFIC COAST Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Ave., Vanoouver, Brl tlsh Columbia
FAR EAST W.D.MoKeown, Oaska (ToBsborl) YMCA, 2-chome. Nlshl-ku,osaka,Japan.
BRITISH ISLES J.H.Sanders. 67 Willow Way. Ampthill. Beds. England.
MANITOBA K,G.Younger 267 vernon Road, Wlrm1peg, Man1toba.
ALBERTA V.H.Coley. 1124J -72nd Ave., Edmonton, Alberta
Copyright 1968
Pr1nted 1n Canada
on canad 1an paper

Demande en ligne