Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 158 1964

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 158 1964

Number 158 / September 1964
GOVERNMENT OWNERSHIP of railways in Canada occurs at
all levels, and not the least interesting is the Pacific Great East­
ern, which is owned by the Province of British Columbil.. For
many years, the PGE began and ended nowhere, but in 1952 and
1956, the completion of extensions linked the nowhere carrier
with the rest of the Canadian rail network. Here, in the latter
year, the inaugural train is shown arriving from North Vancouver
at Squamish, the erstwhile southern terminus of the line. (See
The PGE Is A rDiffe~entr Railway in this issue).
Photograph by PETER COX.

Canadian Rail Page 179
~ontreal Streetcars
by R. M. Binns
(M.S.R. Photos)
By mid-December 1904 about
half of the fifty 790 class semi­
convertible cars were in service.
Well satisfied with these cars,
the first to have transverse
seats, -Montreal ~tredt Hailway
Co. was authorized by its 80ard
of Directors to build twenty-five
more, at a cost of $6000 each –
all to be built in the Companys
shops. Ten cars were to be equip­
ped with General ~lectric Co.s
No. 68 motors, K6 controller, and
Christensen air brakes. Fifteen
cars would have Westinghouse 101
motors, dH -402 controller and
Westinghouse air brakes.
The first unit, similar in
all respects to other 790 class
cars, was put in service in April
1905. It was No. 888.
3efore the next car appear­
ed, however, there was to be a
pronounced chan3e, not only in
design, but in the whole concept
of urban street raj.lway opera­
Probably for some time the
[oanagement bad been convinced of
the benefits to be derived from
collectins fares before passen­
gers entered the car. This would
eliminate the slow and uncertain
process of collecting fares with­
in the crowded interiors of the
larger double-truck cars which
had come into ~eneral use since
1900. Also there would be a de­
finite advantage in keeping the
conductor on the rear platform at
all times, not only for the safe­
ty of passengers, but to give the
starting signal promptly. The
thinking may have been influenced
too by the fact that some conduc­
tors on the Scotch cars -(638
class),-and probably on the new
790 class, had fo~ned the habit
of collecting fares on the plat­
form at stops where only one or
two passengers got on.
The Pay-as-You-~nter me­
thod had been tried on one or two
roads in the United States, but
without success. It was clear
that the conventional car was not
adapted to that system.
The original conception of
the Montreal pay-as-you-enter car
design has been variously credit­
ed to a McGill student, a M.S. R.
conductor and others, but the
credit belongs without question
to the then Superintendent, Mr.
Duncan McDonald and his associ­
ates. The design was patented in
C~nada and the United States und­
er HcDonald s nanle.
The innov~tion and its far­
reaching effects may best be des­
cribed by quoting from Blake and
Jacksons book, Electric Railway
Transportation, published in
1917. Their chapter on car types
in Relation to Traffic begins as
Up to 1905, the doors and steps
of city electric cars showed no
radical advance over those of
horse-car days. A few cars for
rapid transit service had been
built entirely of steel, but the
art of city car desizn seemed to
have gone the way of Tyrian pur­
ple and t~npered bronze. But in
that year a pair of courageous
Canadians, H. G. Hoss and Duncan
McDonald, then respectively man­
a~ing director and superintendent
o~ the Montre&l Street Railway

Canadian Rail
CrunpanY,showed a skeptical street
railway world that pay-as-you­
enter (prepayment) fare collec­
tion really was practicable.
Practically all they did to re­
volutionize fare collection was
to lengthen the conductors plat­
form, install dividing rails,
provide two doors instead of one
in the rear bulkhead, one an in­
wardly opening door for entrance,
and the other an outwardly open­
ing door for exit, and, finally,
supply also a front-exit door
under the control of the motor­
Chicago, Newark, New York, and
other cities followed Montreal in
rapid order. With each installa­
tion came many new conveniences
quite foreign to the question of
prepayment it~elf. The electric
railways were now ea3er to adopt
a system of collection which
would intercept fares previously
missed and which, by keeping the
conductor on the platform, would
also avoid many boarding and a­
lighting accidents. Ihey feared,
however, that the public would
refuse to accept the new or re­
built prepayment cars unless they
showed manifest superiority in
convenience and safety. Thus be­
gan an era of improvement which
even ~fter a decade is still in
full vigor. Prepayment, there­
fore, is directly responsible for
t~e use of longer platforms,wider
aisles, inter-operating doors and
steps and many safety devices;
and it is indirectly responsible
for the high-grade ventilation,
heating and lighting which have
made the American city car a mar­
vel of comfort.
So, on May 4th, 1905, the
second car, No. 890, came out of
lIochelaga Shops as the first
streetcar in the world designed
specifically for Pay-Enter fare
collection, and einployi·ng the
principle of a circulating pass­
enger load.
On that day, a special trip
was made on St. Catherine St.,
from Harbour St.,to Victoria Ave.
Page 181
in Westmount, with a party of
Company officials,Aldermen of the
City and representatives of the
press. To mark the inauguration
ceremony, a photograph was taken
and mounted copies were later
distributed, -bearing the title
l1ontreal Street Railway Companr,­
The Old and the New, 1893-1905.
Unfortunately, but quite under­
standably, the photographer con­
centrated on the distinguished
members of the party rather than
on No. 890 and the two old horse­
omnibuses brought out for the oc­
No. 090 was put in regular
service on St. Catherine Street.
Public reactionwas not altogether
favourable,for it seemed at first
glance to be a rather stupid ar­
rangement that would slow down
the service. It was true that
when a large crowd of passen3ers
was boarding, the stop time was
longer, but the Company knew that
such crowds were encountered at
only a few points on a route, and
that the time savedat other stops
on a complete round-trip baSis,
t03ether with other advantages,
greatly outWeighed the slight de­
lay. It was subsequently proved
that a could maintain
a higher schedule speed.
Some people were offended
at being asked to produce their
money before being allowed to en­
ter the car, -as if their abil­
ity to pay was being questioned.
Cartoons appeared in the newspa­
pers ridiculing the new system.
One series depicted a dear old
lady standing at a corner on a
dark rainy night, fumbling in her
purse while a streetcar waited.
Finally the car proceeded, leav­
ing her stranded.
No. 890 remained in service
until ~1ay 22nd, when it was in­
volved in a tragic accident.
Ihile proceeding east on St.Cath­
erine Street at Harbour Street,
the rear truck split the switch,
causing the rear of the car to
swinS violently toward the side­
walk, crushing and killine in-
L62–4I_, —-~–283 ——–~+
42 3 —————–>-l
NOS 900 (EX 89C»)
946 (EX sea)
NOS~g~To93e –<
]11<11 1 1 I 1 I I 1 1 I rq
I 28:3:, 17~Gdl
42-3 .
35 ~ ..
TO 7~ G
Number 900, the first Pay-as-you-Enter car, as rebuilt
after mishap.
stantly a man who was standing
against a pole. While a pure co­
incidence, it can be imagined
that this event was not looked
upon as a good omen for the ne .. 1
No. 890, damaged quite
heavily, was shopped for repairs
and emerged some time in June as
No. 900. Not only had it been
renumbered, but it displayed the
number in large 8 inch silver
numerals on a bright red panel a­
cross the front dash. It was
felt that P.A.Y.E. cars should be
classed as a new series and be
easily identified by the public.
Thus, prospective passengers
could tell at a distance that the
approaching car wasa 900 P.A.Y,E.
type and it would be prudent to
have onels fare ready. Hence the
creation of the 900 class. All
subsequent cars builtor converted
for P.A.Y.E. operation carried
the large numerals on the front,­
a distinctive feature of Montreal
two-man cars which continued for
many years, even after the green
colour scheme was adopted, and
the need for such distinction had
long passed.
(M.S.R. photo -1910)
No. 900 had a 28-3 body
(10 windows) and a 7
-6 rear
platform. A similar car, No.904,
was turned out early in July,
1905. Also in that month, a 790
class car No. 828, which had been
built in 1904, was converted and
renumbered 950. Late in July,
No. 902 appeared. This car, pro­
bably experimental, had a 30
body (11 windows).
In August, No. 888 was con­
verted and became No. 948. Ano­
ther car (28 ft. body) which pro­
bably had been in course of con­
struction before the P.A.Y.E. de­
sign was adopted, came out as No.
Seventeen subsequent cars,
Nos. 906 to 938 (even) were put
in service between September 1905
and August 1906. All had 30
bodies, and five had 9
-6 plat­
forms,-an experiment to increase
the prepayment platform capacity.
Other than No. 926, the long­
platform cars have not been iden­
It was apparent by this time
that the P.A.Y.E. system would
Experimental car, number 940, on trial run.
(M.S.R. photo -1906)
function successfully regardless
of the size of the car body.
Formerlycar size had been limited
to the ability of a conductor to
collect fares inside. Now, the
only limitation on car size was
the physical clearances in rela­
tion to street widths and curves.
This neVI freedom opened up inter­
osting possibilities for still
further reducing the average ex­
pense per passenger carried, by
using larger units having the
same crew cost. So, as an exper­
iment, No. 940 VIas turned out in
August 1906~ with a 35

-6 body
(13 windows) and a 9-6
platform. Overall length was 51
lOll. This was a very large car
for Montreals narrow streets and
sharp corners, but considered
practical at the time. No. 940
was an extremely handsome car,
and set the pattern for the 703
class, which followed in 1907-08.
No. 940 was exhibited at the
Street Hailway ~xhibition in Col­
umbus, Ohio, in September, 1906,
where it attracted much favour-
able attention.
The remaining two cars in
the series: No. 942, 944, were
put into service in September,
1906. They Vlere similar to the
906-938 group,but had 9-6
The original design of the
900 class ~alled for two-leaf
swinging doorsat the entrance and
at the exit in the rear bulkhead.
At some stage, however, these
were changed to a single panel
entrance door opening inward, and
a sliding door at the exit.
Thirty-six seats Vlere provided on
a combination of transverse and
longitudinal seats.
With the exception of No.
940, car weights varied from
46,600 to 47,775 lbs., depending
on the length of bodies and plat­
forms. Montreal Steel Works cl.
50 trucks were used, although
several cars were later fitted
with Brill trucks.
Canadian Rail
The 900
s were used on most
of the main routes at one time or
another. As far as is known none
were specially equipped for sub­
urban lines, except No. 940 which
was used on the Lachine line in
its latter days. From about 1908
to about 1915, practically all
s were concentrated at St.
Denis Division. For several
years thereafter most were at
Hochelaga, but gradually moved to
Cote Street, in the early 1920s,
where they worked on Wellington
St., during rush hours (Rt. 60)
and on Lachine Rapids Line.
Photos of the 900 class
cars are quite rare, probably be­
cause there were only 25 cars in
the series (No. 940 was later
Page 185
classified with the 703 group)
and during the last fifteen years
of their life, they were confined
largely to rush hour service in
one section of the City.
Nos. 904, 908, 920, 942,
950 were scrapped in 1929, -the
remainder in 1933 and 1935. (No.
922 survived until 1950 as an air
filter cleaning plant at You­
ville. )
Unfortunately, No. 900, re­
presenting as it did a new con­
cept which made possible the ra­
pid and safe operation of large
streetcars in urban service all
0ver North America, w~s not pre­
;rUNE 22-28,1964
In Belleville, Onto the
week of June 22-28, 1964 was
officially known as Railroad
Week. The announced reason
for the occasion was the re­
moval from one of the City
streets of a C.N.R.switching
line. But the week-long
celebrations took in much more
than a simple track­
lifting. There was a splen­
did exhibit of railroad e-­
quipment, both ancient arx1m::>­
dern, and a series of steem powered
railway trips. Mr. R.
Cox has described these
festivities for us, and his
article follows, on the next
two pages.
(Canadian Rail takes
pleasure in welcoming Bob Cox
to our growing list of
contributors. -Editor)
Page 186 Canadian Rail
_ai/way Week
In lIIelleville.
-R. Cox.
June 22-28, 1964, officially designated as Railway Week in
Belleville, Ontario, was tailor-made for children in Canadian Na­
tionals Rideau Area. For half a dollar (or fifty pennies as was
sometimes the case) Junior had the opponxcrdty of riding behind one
of the Systems two operative steam locomotives, No. 6161, whioh
for four days hauled trains of Borne fifteen cars from Belleville up
Canadian Nationals winding Campbellford Subdivision to Anson Junc­
tion, a round trip of about forty miles.
For many of the youngsters it was their first train ride, and
the prospect of travelling behind steam power made the occasion
doubly exciting. The children, in the company of their class
teachers, toured the exhibit site –located adjacent to Belle-
villes classic Grand Trunk station immediately preceeding or
following their steam run to Anson. All were given a cardboard
likeness of a CN new image
diesel A unit and a cap bearing the
CN monogram.
official opening of Railway Week took place early Monday
afternoon, June 22, with Mr. K.E. Hunt (Rideau Area Manager who was
instrumental in promoting the idea of a Railway Week for the Area
Headquarters) making a brief welcoming speech. Upon signal, the
opening was proolaimed rather uniquely with Road Switcher 3801 and
steam locomotive 6161 performing a somewhat non-operatic but
effeotive horn-whistle duet. Several minutes later, an ultra­
modern special, featuring the passenger equipment from the display,
left for Anson Junction with members of the press, engine 6500 at
the head end. (Further details are lacking as a Canadian Rail repr­
esentative was not among the Press invited –Ed.)
Ra11way Week activ1t1es began, however, 1n the morn1ng with
the Rotary Club of Bellev111e sponsor1ng a steam run up Pinnacle
Street from the station to the Qu1nte Hotel and a luncheon for 42
handicapped ch1ldren. That even1ng, aga1n at the Qu1nte Hotel,
J.A. MacDonald, Vice-president of the St.Lawrence Region of the CN,
was guest speaker at a civ1c d1nner sponsored by the Bellev1l1e and
D1str1ct Real Estate Board.
Undoubtedly, the exhib1ts formed one of the largest railway
displays organized in the Dominion. Immediately east of the depot
reposed CN 5100 (ex 5703) Hudson 4-6-4 type and the Toronto Yard
demonstration car. Just west of the station was the main exhibit
area featuring 6400 streamlined Northern type, which pulled the
Royal Train of 1939 over most of the CN portion of the route. (CP
Royal Hudson 2850, which performed a similar duty on CP lines, is
slated for restoration to its Royal Train appearance at the Cana­
dian Railway Museum at Delson). Also very much in evidence was
the latest in vans, CN 79184, diesel-electric A unit 6534, No.241
ex Grand Trunk 0-6-0T saddle-tanker, and No. 40, traditional 4-4-0,
built by the Portland Locomotive Works in 1872 for the G.T.R. A
road switcher, 3807, freshly painted in CN new vermilion red and
black colour scheme, and three of CNs luxurious passenger cars,
coach-lounge 3018, the ELEGANCE II a lounge-dinette, and the CAPE
BRETON, a buffet-lounge-sleeper, rounded out the display.
There was almost a continual line o·f visitors filing through
the cab of 6400, an exhibit which seemed to dominate the display.
Canadian Rail
A point of interest is that both 6400 and 5700, which
before had been sand-blasted and paInted at Montreal,
new brass number plates, which the CN was able to
tured from scratch.
Page 187
several weeks
were sporting
have manufac-
The display area was under the supervision of the CNR police
and the CN Pensioners Association, the latter wearing blue name
plates on their lapels. The pensioners, for many of whom the
event was a form of reunion, did a commendable job of answering
queries put to them by visitors, and seemed to enjoy every moment
of their temporary return to a railroad atmosphere.
The steam runs to Anson were scheduled for 9:30 and 1:30 p.m.,
daily -Tuesday to Friday -with a special for the general public
on Wednesday evening at 6:00. The first two days of operation to
Anson Junction carried a total of 4575 passengers. The last two
days of Railway Week saw the running of two steam specials –Sat­
urday to Peterborough and the day after, a picniC train to Cotou~
Revenue passengers for the entire week totalled 9288.
On Thursday evening, a symbolic track-lifting was performed by
Canadian National Railways and Belleville officials at Pinnacle and
Victoria Sts., officially declaring the termination of rail service
along Pinnacle St., one of Bellevilles main thoroughfares. The
line, just over two miles in length, ran from the station to the
wharf. The tracks formed part of the former Grand Junction Rail
way which linked Belleville and Peterborough, and were laidm 1876.
Members of the Railway Week operating crew included the follow
ing: R.Jones, Engineer, J.T.Lorimer, Fireman, G.R.Ashman, Conduc­
tor, G.Elliot and B.Meagher, Trainmen. Besieged for autographs by
countless youngsters with souvenir ticket stubs, these gentlemen
smilingly obliged whenever a spare moment was at their disposal.
Few will dispute that the future of railways in Canada lies in
some measure with its new generations. It is hoped that Canadian
railways will continue to transmit to the nations youth an idea of
what railways have meant to Canadas development as a national
entity and the vital role that they can play in the future, travel­
wise and in the consignment of goods by rail. Railway Week in
Belleville offered and succeeded in conveying to the 36,191 visit­
ors who passed through the display area a taste of Canadian Nation­
al, past, present and future.
RAIL -Canadian and otherwise:
On a siding near the Railway station at
Saskatchewan, there are eight different
within a length of twenty-five yards.
makes are:-
Hudson Bay,
types of rail
The different
l. Moss Bay Steel 1896 L M R Co.
2. Rhymney Steel 89 –.56 lb.
3. Illinois Steel Co. South Wks 1896
4. Barrow Steel 1889
Cammell Steel 1902 6.
E. V. Steel 91
7. Algoma Steel 60 lb. 1911
8. Ourrree VI 1903 C N R

Canadian Rai 1 Page 189
Text and Photos by PE TER COX
See this months cartoon, Back Cover
FOR YEARS AND YEARS, the Pacific Great Eastern actually ran from no-
where to nowhere. Its southern terminus was Squamish, B.C •• from whkh
rails stretched northward to Quesnel in the Cariboo country. Construction mat­
erials and general supplies went North, forest and mining products came down.
While not having any physical connection with other railways, PGE traffic was
transferred by car barges and passenger vessels at Squamish to and from such
points as Vancouver, Seattle and Bellingham, Wash.
Going back farther, the history of the PGE has quite a story to tell, consid­
ering a portion of the line uses the same route as a portage railway put down in
1861 between Anderson and Seton Lakes. However, 1907 was the actual begin­
ning, being the year in which the Howe Sound. Pemberton Valley and Northern
started constructing trackage North from Squamish. By 1918. British backing
caused a change of name to Pacific Great Eastern. due to the fact that the Great
Eastern Railway of England financed PGEs promoters. The charter provided
for the construction of a railway North to Fort George (now Prince George). to
connect with the Grand Trunk Pacific. and also eastward to meet the railways at
LEFT (Top):
Neither destination was reached for many years. Trackage was
In steam days. Canadian Locomotive-built 2-8-2 No. 160 wheeled
tonnage into Squamish.
LEFT (Bottom): Modern contrast: the Cariboo Dayliner on a day when it con­
sisted of five RDC units.
CENTER SPREAD (overleaf)
LEFT (Top): The platform of Northern Summit often finds Premier Bennett.
who is also President of PGE. greeting his supporters.
LEFT (Bottom): The typical station at Quesnel. for many years the northern
terminal of the line. 347 miles from Squamish.
RIGHT (Top): Two small General Electric units crossing the Fraser River at
RIGHT (Bottom): The first train eventually arrived at Prince George on
October 31st. 1952.

Page 192
Canadian Rail
laid westward from North Vancouver in 1913 and allowed interurban service to
prevail using Hall Scott motor cars over the thirteen-mile line. Meanwhile. 176
miles of railway had been built North from Squamish. The First World War
intervened. halting tracklaying. and leaving the PGE with two sections of line.
from nowhere to nowhere. In 1918. the provincial government of British Col­
umbia took over the venture and by 1921 had pushed north to Quesnel. Although
progressing rapidly. the PGE never failed to lose money and being a government
enterprise. it suffered from political pressure and ridicule. As the years pass­
ed. producing only inactivity and indebtedness. the roads initials spelled out
other meanings: Provinces Greatest Expense. Past Gods Endurance. Prince ~
George Eventually. Certainly it was neither Pacific. Great nor Eastern. In
1928. the North Vancouver line was abandoned.
Despite the ridicule. PGE did get to Prince George ….. in 1952. And in 1956
it reached North Vancouver (again). This segment used the original roadbed
through West and North Vancouver. even though expensive residences had been
built on property extending to its very edges. Bridges and trestlework remind­
ful of those on the CPRs abandoned routes through Rogers Pass once again
carried trains after 28 years of dormancy.
At the northern end. a dream was coming into reality: rails reached 222
miles farther North to the Peace River country at Dawson Creek and Fort St.
Jolm and a connection with NorthernAlberta Railways.
Today. the PGE is a combination of modern railroading and ancient hangers­
on. Passenger service is provided by Budd RDC units but a variety of interur­
ban and steam passenger cars still exist in the roster. Train dispatching is
conveyed by radio microwave. yet dynamic brakfng and roller bearings were
discovered only in 1960. The North V ancouver depot is modern and attractive
while up the line stations called Water Tank and Number 10 Downing Street
grace the timetable and passengers can alight at their favorite fishing and hunt­
ing spots simply by arranging with the conductor. The beautiful scenery through
which the road operates is constantly changing and is not accessible in many
places except by railway. As may be expected. such terrain causes operating
problems: it takes five units sixteen hours to haul sixty to eighty cars over each
The main shops are still located at Squamish. Chop-hood diesels and older
models are completely overhauled here in a modern facility. The car shop is
noted as being able to reconstruct even badly wreck-damaged freight cars to
their original appearance and has had plenty of practice –also on foreign line
This railway is different. Piggyback. microwave. diesel power. Budd cars –
are all here and so is the Squamish logger. a daily train of log buggies carry­
ing a genuine B.C. cargo: sticks so big that two or three constitute a car load.
RIGHT: Railroading on the PGE has its haz.ardous moments: engine 54 makes
her last trip.

(!fa~tern Eown~bip~
of @uebec
M. D. Leduc
See MAP –Page 122, May 1964 issue
The United Counties Railway was incorporated on March 30,
1883, by Honore Mercier, three other members of the Legislative
Assembly, and three local mayors, to operate from Richelieu Village
to Sorel, where the Richelieu meets the St. Lawrence River. Al­
though the project aroused much enthusiasm it produced little fin­
ancial backing and thus languished for five years. In 1888, though,
the Company received land subsidies from the ~uebec Government
totaling 600,000 acres. That year as well, it was authorized to
extend its line south of the border. Four years later it received
grants totaling some $100,000 from the Canadian government.
Construction of sixty miles of road started in 1893 in both
directions from St. Hyacinthe. In 1888 the charter had been re­
vised to change the southern terminal from Richelieu Village to
Iberville, and on September 17, 1895, the line was opened for
traffic. The line running north from St. Hyacinthe extended to
Bellevue Junction, and from there trains operated to Sorel over the
Montreal and Atlantic, formerly the Richelieu, Drummond and Artha­
baska Railway. South from St. Hyacinthe the railway went through
St. Damase, Rougemont, Ste. Angele, and St. Gregoire to Iberville.
Meanwhile, on December 30, 1890, the East Richelieu Valley
Railway was incorporated to build from a point in Missisquoi County
at Lacolle to a point on the Grand Trunk near St. Hyacinthe. At
Lacolle the line was to join the Canada Atlantic Railway for con­
nections with the United States. This plan, too, languished for a number
of years.
Since the East Richelieu Valley Railway planned to operate
south from St. Hyacinthe, it would parallel the United Counties
Railway for half its length, i.e., from St. Hyacinthe to Iberville.
It is not surprising, then, that the United Counties and the E.R.
V.R. drew up an agreement whereby the latter would have running
rights over the former from St. Hyacinthe to Iberville and the
former would have running rights over the latter from Iberville to
Noyan. Noyan became the southern terminal of the United Counties
and the railway thereby avoided crOSsing the Richelieu River at the
place where it had planned to extend south of the border. The
United Counties Railway subscribed to the construction of the East
Richelieu Valley Railway and on December 1, 1898, its twenty-two
miles of track from Iberville were opened for traffic.
When all the expenses were paid, both companies were left
bankrupt. At an auction on January 25, 1900, the United Counties
Railway was sold to the Bank of St. Hyacinthe for $193,000. Four
months later the East Richelieu Valley Railway went under the ham­mer
to a Mr. Bernier for $125,000. In both cases the Delaware and
Hudson was behind the scene and on July 7, 1900, it incorporated
the Quebec Southern Railway to operate these lines.
Canadian Rail Page 195
The Delaware and Hudson also had control of the . South Shore
Railway which operated from Sorel to Levis, Quebec; in 1906 the
Quebec, Montreal and Southern Railway was incorporated to operate
the Quebec Southern and the South Shore Railways. Due to the large
deficits incurred by these lines, a Quebec member of Parliament
requested that this burden be borne by Canada. (! -Ed.) Thus on
July 14, 1929, Canadian National Railways paid a handsome price to
the Delaware and Hudson for the Quebec, Montreal and Southern.
Since CN had absorbed the Grand Trunk which included the for­
mer Canada AtlantiC lines, there was no reason to operate the
United Counties and East Richelieu Valley Railways south of St.
HyaCinthe. Thus, in 1930, train service was discontinued. The
line from Iberville to Noyan was dismantled in 1936 and from
Iberville to St. Hyacinthe in 1938. Today, the original United
Counties line from St. Hyacinthe to Bellevue Junction and Sorel
is still used by Canadian National for freight service.
U.C.R. -Q.S.R. locomotives 4-4-0 types (Late R.R. Brown)
No. 100
No. 102
No. 103
No. 104
11 x 18, 39 drivers -Kingston 1876.
Ex South Eastern Railway No. 19, St.
Pie. Originally a narrow gauge loco.
built for the Lake Champlain & St. Law­
rence Juct. Railway.
11 x 18, 42 drivers -Avonside 1872.
Ex Toronto Grey & Bruce Railway No. 12.
Originally narrow gauge.
17 x 24, 63 drivers -Danforth 1879.
Ex Canada Central Railway No.3.
Two second hand locomotives of un­
known origin bought in Chicago, Ill.
When they arrived at St. HyaCinthe, the
United Counties couldnt afford to pay
the customs duty. Therefore, they re­
mained on a siding, held by customs,
until the money was raised.
Fall Foliage 84
At the request of the Upper Canada Railway SOCiety who planned
trips with locomotive 6218 for the same weekend as our proposed
excursions, and omitted to confirm availability of the locomotive
which was, in fact, committed to us, we have agreed to re-schedule
the Canadian Railroad Historioal Assn. excursions to October 3 and
4. In this way, expensive Upper Canada Railway Society advertising
will not be wasted and the Canadian Railroad Historical Assn. ex­
cursions will be held when the colourful Laurentian foliage is at
its best. We look forward to seeing you on October 3 and 4.
ABOVE: Diesel locomotive at Heri tage Park, Calgary,
was formerly Canmore Mines No.4 (ex CP 6144)
BELOW: West Canadian Collieries No.1 (Canadian Loco-
motive Company #1245 -built 1914.) abandoned in
shed at Blairmore, Alberta.
Canadian Rail
~ctitagc ~atk.
Canadian Rail has recently received an
interesting letter from Mr. Bob Sandusky
describing the railway exhibit at Heritag~
Park in Calgary, Alberta. On the oppo­
site page are two of ~IT. Sanduskys photos
while below, we reproduce that part of his
letter referring to the Heritage museum
project, and to an abandoned locomotive at
Blairmore Mine.
Page 197
The museum railway … consists of a 4200 loop of track with
one siding and two stations formerly on the CPR at Midnapore and
Bowell, Alta. The setting for the park is a stockade-enclosed
hillside on the east shore of Glenmore reserVOir, to which have
been brought over a dozen assorted pioneer structures from various
parts of the West ••••
The motive power is Canmore Mines #4, formerly CP 6144, which
has been operating over the 2-mile Canmore spur for the past 21
years. The engine is indeed to be powered by a diesel motor but
has been placed in the park for the summer without a unit having
been installed. As you can see from the enclosed photograph the
smokebox cover has been moved about 6 forward on extension bolts
and the resulti~~ space filled with wire mesh. An open-bottom steel
box can also be seen immediately ahead of the cylinder saddle. A­
part from this the only visible incongruities are the pi;J.ot and grey
Coupled to :14 are three ex. Morrisey, Fernie &: Michel coaches
nos. 60, 62 and 63, all open-platform cars, except No.60, a 6-axle
car which once was lettered Long Island, and still contains panels
of inlaid wood. On the letterboard of #62 can be seen Eastern
British Columbia Railway and as #63 is an identical car one might
suggest it has the same ancestry. Nos. 62 and 63 are 4-axle cars
as is a fourth, unused, open-platform combine sitting by itself at
the end of a siding. Its windows are unglazed and much restoration
work remains to be done on it. The three serviceable cars have
retained the longitudinal seats with which they were equipped on
the MF&:M.
Also in the exhibit train is MF&:M flatcar #53 and CPR service
car 401922, formerly on the Red Deer Auxiliary. Another stationary
exhibit is CPR Colonist car 2658, still in service car red and sit­
ting on an isolated section of track •••••• among the future plans
of the Heritage Park Society is the construction of a narrow-gauge
mine railway into a hillside on the north side of the park.
I was also rather taken by Doug Wrights cartoon in the July
issue concerning the forgotten locomotive, as there is just such a one
in a rusty Shed at Blai~ore, Alta. The Blairmore Mine of the
West Canadian Collieries has been closed for at least the past four
years and among their abandoned equipment is #1, a 2-6-0 built by
Canadian Loco. (#1245) in 1914. It was formerly on the Greater
Winnipeg Water District Railway •••••••
ippearances to the contrary, Canadian Hail has not borrOlv­
ed a photograph from Lucius nee be , s excellent lvork, lian­
sions on h11eels. SubJ:li tteu by Peter Cox, the photograph in
fact shows the cOliunendably authentic exterior decor applied
to the Vest Coast !{aill,ay Associations car Dri tish Col­
umbia, formerly Canadian Pacific official car No. 16. The
car is pictured at the Canadian National station in Vancouv­
er, and if we are to judge by appearances, it is ready to
leave at a moments notice at the behest of its owners, its
larders stocked 1Vith such essential comestibles dear to the
pampered stomaehes of the mercantile nobility, as black cav­
iar, escargots and truffles. To ash dOlm this epicurean
fare, the wine cupboards undoubtedly contain vintage years
of iusone and Perrier Jouet, if we may be excused for quot­
ing verbatim.
THREE H0RE Canadian Pacific steam locomotives have found their
way to preservation.
During July, two 0-5 class 4-6-2s, Nos. 1246 and 1203, passed
throuf,h Hontreal en route to the SteamtOlm mllseu71 at North hal­
pole, N.Il. No. 1246 Ivas built by i!ontreal Locomotive Iyorks in 1<146
hile its companion, No. 1293, Vas built by Canadian Locomotive Com­
pany at Kinrston in 1948. These engines had been in stora,:e at
Veston Shops in Winnipeg, Han.
Also preserved is D-IO class 4-fi-0 No. 126, Ihich ,as built at
Anglls Shops in AlIr,IlSt, 1911. This enGine is to accompany Canadj an
National 4-R-4 No. Ei200 at the proposed federal government scient­
ific displa~ in Ottalva, and is presently stored at Ottill,a I;est
roundhouse. One of No. 92Ei s last assir:nments ,as Ollt of I:innipe.
in mixed train service in the SW:Jr.ler of ll5<). It as noted on one
occasion on the Lac dn Oonnet mixed train, provjded, as Ivas the
practice in certain areas of ,estern Canada ,here local IVa ter ,,as
Ilnsllitable for use in steam locollotives, Idth 1:,0 tenders. This
brin~s to five the nllmber of D-lOs flreserved – – a class which, 11i th
over five hundred members, Vas the most munerons on any raillVay in
this eountr~·.
-l isitors to the 1967 World Exposition at Montreal
~ will travel free of charge and as often as they
wish on a swift, electrically-driven Expo-Exp­
ress, linking the exhibits, amusement and park
areas of the site. Freedom and ease of movement over the
network of islands in the Saint Lawrence River facing down­
town Montreal will be assured by means of a rapid transit
system, details of which were released August 28th last by Expo
General Manager, Mr. Andrew G. Kniewasser.
Hawker-Siddeley Canada Limited has been awarded the
contract to construct the system, Which will be well withln
the t16,000,000 budget authorized for the mass transit
system in the Exposition Corporations government-approved
master plan.
DetailS of the electrified rapid transit railway, and
the rolling stock which will be operated on the line, will
be included in next months issue of Canadian Rail.
(The above photo showing an artists conception
of the EXPO-EXPRESS travelling along the Ma~ay
Pier at dusk, courtesy of Expo 67 Corporation.)
Page 200
Canadian Rail
Our cartoon this month is one of the Toonerville Trolley series,
published in memory of the late Fontaine Fox, its creator, who
passed away at Greenwich, Connecticut on August 9th. Mr. Foxs
cartoons, which featured the famous little single-truck car, its
good natured motorman and its passengers, have been all but for­
gotten in this day and age. In previous times, however, they
were known to thousands all across the continent. The carUxns
appeared for 35 years from 1920 to 1955 in as many as 200 news­
papers. Following a pattern set by its real-life contemporaries
the Toonerville Trolley was abandoned in 1955. Now after nine
years retirement, the Toonervilles founder and manager has died,
aged eighty years. R. I. P.
15 Years of C.R.H.A. Excursions. (May issue)
The summary of tramway and railway excursions operated by the
Canadian Railroad Historical Association during the past fifteen
years unfortunately did not include three trips sponsored by the
Associations Rocky Mocmtain group at Edmonton.
Dates and details of these trips out of tte Alberta Capital –
April 14, 1962
October 7,1962
May 18, 1963 N.A.R. Edmonton-Boyle
Comboose 303 was used
outward on freight 81 .
Return ill comboose 307 on
passenger train 8.
C.N.R. Edmonton-Hinton Regular trains -visit
to Northi!est Pulp and
Paper Mills.
N.A.R. Edmonton-Barrhead Excursion made via
special mixed train –
the first passengers
on line in three years.
(information from Eric Johnson, Edmonton).
Canadian Rail I Page 201
It would appear that Canadian Pacific has either adopted or is
experimenting with a new paint scheme for its Dayliners. CP
Budd-built RDC 9106 is now operating in the new livery. The
former maroon and yellow stripes have been replaced by a series
of red and silver triangles, as indicated by the above photo,
taken in July at St.Constant, I~ue. by Mr. Robert Half yard.
The nucleus of the proposed Federal Governments scientific
exhibit, Canadian Pacific 926 and Cqnadign National 6200 are pre­
sently stored at the CPs Ottawa West roundhouse. The photos
below were submitted by Mr. Bruce Chapman of Ottawa. While 926
fits nicely into her stall, 6200s tender must protrude out the
back door in spite of additional trackage laid ahead of the 1000-
Page 202 Canadian Rail
Notes and News
–P. A. Ganley
Canadian National has purchased from Chicago & Eastern Illinois R.H. one
RDC-l (Budd) car. The unit will be assigned almost immediately to the Atlantic
Region probably for use on the Halifax to Sydney run where there is a shortage
of RDCs, especially during the heavy summer season. CN uses buses to handle the overflow
of traffic between these two cities. This is the first RDC unit
the National system has purchased from the U.S. CPR purchased an FnC from the
lehigh Valley R.R. a couple of years back; this unit is now in servico on
Montreal -Lakeshore commuter trains. The Budd Company has leased to CNR their
RDC-l demonstrator car. It is not known as yet where this unit will be used.
The nUJli:lers of the C&EI and Budd units and details will be announced shortly.
The Federal Government has purchased a large ferry to go into service between Newfoundland and
Nova Scotia early in 196~. The ferry, which is to relieve
critical shipping problelM for the island-province, is the New Grand Haven
which formerly plied between Florida and Cuba. Tenders are being called for
cOll8truction of a ~1h million railway and car ferry for the Cape Tormentine­Borden
run, and construction is expected to begin in the spring of 1965 for
completion and service in 1967.
To facilitate handling and to expedite movement of express traffic between Montreal
and the Maritimes, CP Express has introduced a collapsible, a11-
steel cargo cage-type container capable of carrying 4,000 pounds. They can
be loaded into an express car by a fork-lift truck and positioned in either
an express car, a highway trailer or in a ships hold by means of a pallet
The Interstate Commerce Collllllission examiner has recommended denial of the
Grand Trunk Western request to discontinue passenger service between Detroit
and Durand, Michigan. If the examiners recommendation is adopted by the
ICC, the railroad will be forced to continue operating its commuter trains
from Pontiac to Detroit.
em and CFR have simultaneously announced orders for 500 hopper cars. CN
has placed its order with Marine Ind1.l;tries Ltd. of Sorel, Que. and CFRs
order has been placed with National Steel Car Corp. of Hamilton, Ont. The
CN hopper cars will be cylindrical, and equipped with roller bearings and
will have a lOO-ton capacity. The CPR cars will be steel tank-type covered hopper
care with a lOO-ton capacity each. Delivery for both roads is expected
to begin this fall and be completed early in 19650
Canadian Pacific steam locomotives 1246 and 1293 were shipped from Montreal on
July 21st, en route from Winnipeg to Bellows Falli, Vt. to be consigned to
Steamtown at North Walpole, N.H. (ELM).
Canadian Rail Page 203
Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg, home of CN 6~3, :18 to get another steam locOl1lotive.
Number 6043
noted for hauling the last regularly scheduled steam propelled
paasenger train in Canada will be joined by an operating, c081 burning steam
locomotive of the amusement park variety. A 3000 ft. line of 24 inch gauge is
to be built. Top speeds of 6 mph will be I!xperienced.
CNs Sceneramic, glass-topped passengers cars were being cut in and out of
tra~continental trains at Jasper, Alta. However, maintenaooe facilities are
inadequate there, so therefore each car in turn works east to Edmonton on No.2,
Super Continental and returns west on No.9, rtThe PanorallLll. If you figure
it out, each car has a ten-hour layover in Edmonton every fourth day. The
turning around of the cars in Vancouver :18 very tight on nos. 9 and 10. The car
arriving on No.9 in Vancouver at 9.30 p.m. (PST) is switched immediately for
the trip east on No. 10, leaving Vancouver at 10.30 p.m. (PST).
A major disruption of C.N. train services in and out of Mont­
reals Central Station occurred on July 7th last. Operations
were almost paralyzed for about three hours, due to a fire in the
Mount Royal Tunnel. No major damage resulted, but a series of
unfortunate events took place which tied up passenger services dur­
ing the evening peak period. An explanation of the mishap, and the
emergenoy measures that were put in hand to correct the situation,
was prepared for Canadian Rail by Mr. Barry Biglow. His report
Theres a fire in the tunnel. At 2:.50 p.m. E.S.T. July 7th,
the telephone rang in the Rectifier Room at Central Station, Mont­
real, and news of a short-circuit and small fire in the Mount Royal
Tunnel was received.
A traction feeder had arced to ground, starting a fire in the
cable duct, which contains not only the traction feeders, but also
the supervisory control wire for the traction substations, feeders
for si~nal currents, and CNT cables.
Immediately a series of corrective actions was taken. First,
it was ascertained that no commuter trains were in the tunnel.
Power was then shut off from the traction feeders at Central Stat­
ion. It was discovered the fire had severed the supervisory con­
trol of Saraguay Substation when arcing continued from the traction
feeders and an emergency truck was dispatched to shut down the sub­
station. Meanwhile, an emergency crew attempted to open a dis­
connect to clear the fault. (A disconnect is not designed to be
opened under load). The disconnect was vaporized in the process,
but the fault was cleared. The fire was quickly put out, and the
necessary repairs were started.
Unfortunately for many people, not only supervisory wires but
also signal wires were severed. Before severing the signal wires
the traction current passed down the signal wires, and extensively
damaged relays in the Wellington Street tower. (Signal wires are
heavy beoause of the low resistance of rail circuits). ThUS, all
trains to and from Central Station in tothdirections were affected.
No trains left the station from the time the mishap occurred until
about .5:4.5 EST when the Champlain left for Q,uebec. Other trains
operated from two to three hours late, while power switches were
cranked by hand. Some commuter trains to the north toured Mon­
treal Yard in their journeys to and from Deux Montassnes until the
signal circuits were repaired.
Len Norris Vancouver Sun

.. Weve become so used to It that we never pay any heed to it any more.
CANADIAN RAI L: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committe,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. Subscription included
with Associate Membership: $4.00 annually.
l.Jilliam Pharoah
John W. Saunders
frederick f. Angus
Hyman Mande 1
Robert Half yard
Orner Lavallee
Lindsay Terreau
S.S. Horthen
~iichael Leduc
At leal 5 ,~k. before you
DIOH. stud u •• leller, a card.
or ft pOII.oHice chan,e·of •
• d.rc~ form lelllD UI Loth yopr
or.» .bd JODr NE .ddr~ ••
Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver S, B.C.
William f. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J.S. Nicolson, 2306 Arnold Street, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
V.H. Coley, 11243-72 Ave., Edmonton, Alberta
Hilliam D. McKeown, 900 Senriyama (Ouzo), Souita City, Osaka, Japan
John H. Sanders, 10 Church St., Ampthill, Bedsford, England

Demande en ligne