Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 147 1963

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 147 1963

) ffi.~iin
Issued 11 times yearly by
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
Gone are the days when one could view the lone Prairie on
the Thurso and Nat~on Valley Railway. The T.& N.W., even
in thi6 dieselized era, is a most fascinating example of
efficient timber transportation. Imagine, though, the
scene several decades ago as T.& N.V. No.2, nith van in
tow, pauses for a well-earned respite from her colourful
contribution to her employers logging operation.
••• Collection of Robert R. Brown
The M.T.C. Historical Collection
Late last June, the fine Historical Collection of electric railway and
transit vehicles, assembled by the Montreal Tramways Company and Mont­
real Transportation Commission, was turned over to the CRHA for pre­
servation and eventual display at the Canadian Rail Transportation
Museum at Delson. (See Canadian Rail page 159 of July-August issue).
A description of the cars in the collection has now been prepared by Mr.
R. M. Binns, a member of this Associations Executive and an officer of
the Montreal Transportation Commission. The first part of Mr. Biru1S
resume –covering cars constructed prior to 1912 –forms a feature of
this issue of Canadian Rail; the second part (1912-1959) will appear
in next months publication.
Illustrations are from the authors collection, the MTC, and A. Clegg.
It might be of interest, at this time, to examine in some detail,
the collection of historic vehicles recently acquired by our Associ­
ation from the Montreal Transportation Commission. As this col­
lection will greatly enhance and const1tute a major segment of the
electriC railway exh1bit at the Canadian Rail Transportation Museum,
it 1s appropr1ate that we look at the h1stor1cal s1gn1f1cance of
each car, particularly for the benefit of those C.R.H.A. members and
Canadian Rail subscribers who may not be familiar with Montreals
transit history.
The collection consists of two vehicles from the horsecar era,
thirteen electriC passenger cars and seven electric work cars, mak­
ing in all, twenty-two items. To this should be added a single
truck passenger car, No. 274, donated to the ASSOCiation in 1950.
It should be explained at the outset that this collection does not,
by any means, contain examples of all types of streetcars operated
in Montreal. There is an unfortunate gap during a very interest­
ing period between 1900 and 1907 when some important developments
in car design were taking place locally. Also, regretably, no
open cars were preserved.
Aside from the two horse-drawn veh1cles, and the two electr1c
cars dat1ng back to the 19th century, the cars are representative
of most types 1n use around 1950, albe1 t Bome of them over forty
years old at that t1me. In the 1950s, when the changeover to
buses was 1n full sw1ng, indiVidual cars of various types were set
aside, most of them primar11y for historiC purposes and specif1cally
for a parade of vehicles, old and new, marking the inauguration of
bus service on St. Cather1ne Street in September 1956. A similar
pageant took place on August 30th, 1959 the last day of streetcar
operation in Montreal. It was indeed fortunate that these events
necessitated rather extensive renovation and restorat1on of some
cars, and we are doubly fortunate that all passenger cars have
since b.een kept ins1de Y6uville Shops. Consequently, the collect­
ion, generally speak1ng, is in good structural and mechan1cal con­
dition, all cars being capable of operation w1th relatively minor
adjustments and servicing. Some of the work cars were kept at the
ASSOCiations request, not only as 1nteresting items in themselves,
but for practical use in the construction and operation of an elec­
tric railway line at the museum.
Let us look briefly, then, at each item, tak1ng them in chrono­
logical order.
Omnibus No.7 and Horsecar Sleigh No. 20
are the oldest remain­
ing relics of public transporta­
tion in Montreal, and represent
the period between 1861 and 1892.
The exact years they were built
for the Montreal City Passenger
Railway Company is unknown. No. 20
is the product of the carriage
building firm of N.&A.C. Larivi­
ere, whose premises were once lo­
cated on St. Antoine Street near
the site of the present main Post
Office. It is probable that No.7 was
built by the same firm.
From the beginning of public
transit in 1861, four types of
vehicles were used: open and
cmsed horsecars operated on ~s;
sleighs which provided a limited
service during winter when the
railway was abandoned; and omni­
buses, which were used for a per­
iod in Spring when neither rail
cars nor sleighs were practical.
Nos. 20 and 7 are representative
of the latter two types. At the
time of electrification in 1892,
Montreal Street Ra11way Company
had about 100 similar sleighs and
about 50 omnibuses. Consequently
the low numbers on our surviving
examples might indicate they were among
the earliest, although some
renumbering cannot be d1scounted.
The preservation of these two fas­
c1nating vehicles is the result of
wise decisions taken by Company managements
of a far-off day, for
which we should be profoundly
Omnibus No.7 was used to re­
present the past at the inaugu­
ration ceremony of the worlds
first Pay-as-you-enter street
car in 1905, in company with an­
other omnibus, indicat1ng that
at least two were in existence at
that time. As late as 1910 a
second sleigh No.23, was in ex­
istance, proving that the number­
ing of the ~ghs was in sequence
and separate from the rail cars.
Credit must also be given to the
Montreal Street Ry. and Montreal
Tramways Co. managements for at­
tempting to preserve a rail horse
car. One of these, at the closed
type, was kept at Hochela~a car­
barn until the late 1920 s when,
unfortunately, deterioration for­
ced its destruction. We can be
thankful, then, that the two ve­
hicles of the horsecar era have
survived through the long pass­
age of almost 100 years, and will
in due t1me be available for pub­
lic inspection at the Museum.
For a history of the period
which Nos.7 and 20 represent, and
an account o~ the horse car oper­
ations in Montreal, the reader is
referred to Mr. D.S.A. Lavallees
excellent work entitled The Mon­
treal City Passenger Railway Co.
No. 350 -The Rocket -Single-truck closed passenger car.
No one can fail to be char­
med by this item –the first el­
ectric street car to operate in
Montreal. It was built by the
Brownell Car Co. of St.Louis, Mo.
in 1892 for the Montreal Street
Railway Co., and is the only pro­
duct of the Brownell Company known
to have operated in Canada.
With its plush seats, open plat­
forms and ornate iron stove, it
presents a typical example of the
earliest closed electric cars.
The original electrical equipment
was installed in Montreal by the
Royal Electric Co.
This car, no doubt because of
its elegance, was chosen to inau­
gurate the electric service in
Montreal. With Company officials
and guests and reportedly a 4
man crew -the Rocket left Cote
Street carbarn at 11:00 a.m. on
vlednesday, September 21st, 1892.
Proceeding via Craig, Bleury,
Park Ave., Mt.Royal, St.Lawrence,
Rachel, Amherst and Craig back to
Cote Street. The initial trip
was made successfully except for
several derailments on the curves.
This difficulty was attributed to
the long truck wheelbase of n· ft.
The present truck under 350 is a
Blackwell class 12, having a 7
foot wheelbase, so we do not know
what the original truck was like.
No. 350 was withdrawn from
service on March 3rd, 1914 -no
longer called the Rocket, and
scarcely distinguishable from some 200
other single-truck closed
cars in existance at that time.
Closed platform ends had been ap­
plied long ago, and of course, it
was painted in the standard yel­
low buff livery of the time. A few
years later, when a large
group of retired single-truck
cars were being destroyed, someone so
the story goes, spotted the
RoCket among the lot and real­
izing its significance, saved it
in the nick of time. In July,
1926, it was rehabil1tated,
painted, and placed in storage
at the then newly-built Mount
Royal carbarn, where it remained
for some 30 years, all but for­
gotten. For the Historical Pag­
eant on St. Catherine St. on lab­
our Day 1956, the Rocket was
restored by M.T.C. at consider­
able expense, to what is be­
lieved to be its original ap­
pearance, and so it appears to­
day, seventy one years after its
trial trip up Bleury St. As far
as is known, no other city in
North America has preserved its
first electric streetcar from the
era of the early 1890s.
Canadian Rail Page 169
No. 274 -Single truck, closed passenger car,
This little car is contem­
porary with No.350, the Rocket.
It too was one of the original
group of cars which supplied ser­
vice at the beginning of electric
operation in the Fall of 1892.
It is the first of a lot of ten
built by Newburyport Car Mfg. Co.
Newburyport, Mass, and numbered
274 to 292 even numbers.
No. 274s survival cannot be
attributed to sentiment or any
sense of historical values, as in
the case of No.350. In 1912, 274
was withdrawn from passenger ser­
vice and converted to a Salt Car,
which involved the removal of
wooden hoppers along each side
with chutes for delivering rock
~a1t or sand to the rails. Thro­
ughout the electric period, about
a dozen cars equipped in this
manner were kept on hand. Invar­
iably they were old single-truck
passenger cars, painted grey.
No. 274 func t ioned in this capac i ty
in relative obscurity until 1947-
48, when all Salt Cars were stored
for scrapping. With the cars
about to be destroyed in 1950,
several CRHA members realized the
age of these little cars and con­
scious of an opportunity that
would not come again, requested
the donation of one car to the
Association for preservation.
Montreal Tramways Company granted
the request and No.274 was select­
ed. For several years thereafter
No.274 was shifted around between
Youvil1e Shops and various car­
b~rr.s, wherever space was avail­
able, ~/hile ASSOCiation members
restored it as a passenger car.
In this case, no attempt was made
to restore the car to its original
appearance of 1892, but rather to
portray a typical single-truck,
closed Montreal car of about 1900.
It is a good example of the ap­
plication of closed ends to early
open platform cars.
No. 274 is really the nu­
cleus around which the Canadian
Rail Transportation Museum has
developed. It was the first
piece of rolling stock acquired,
and its restoration started out
as a single project. Encouraged
by the results, and the interest
which it stimulated in a large
segment of CRHA membership, the
conception of a comprehensive mu­seum
emerged, and the present
truly remarkable collection built
Interior of 274 before restoration work.
Photo taken April 28th 1951, the day car
was donated to the C.R.H.A. by the M.T.Co.

No. 3015 -Trailer flat car.
Keeping to strict chronolo­
gical order, we must now look at
No. 3015, a trailer flat car.
While the presence of this car at
the Museum is for reasons of
utility, and it will have little
public appeal, it does have an
interesting history of its own.
Originally No. 3015 was one
of six motor flat cars, built by
Montreal Street Railway in 1904,
for use on the Montreal Park &
Islanu Railway, which was by then
owned by the M.S.R. The six cars
designated as D,E,G,J,K, and L, were
classified as Ice Cars,
presumably for the transportation
of ice for the large ice companies
that flourished in those days.
In 1906, they were transferred to
M.S.R. freight car roster, and
subsequently adapted or rebuilt
for various other uses. In the
renumbering of work cars in 1914,
we find the following:
Observation Cars Nos. 1 and 3.
Observation No.1 1s the ori­
ginal car of the well-known fleet
of four such cars, popular for
many years with Montrealers and
visitors alike. The design is
tmique to Montreal, but was copied
at one time or another by ~uebec
City, Vancouver, and Calgary.
The origin of No.1 is inter­
esting: Mr. David E. Blair was
appointed as Montreal Street
Railways Superintendent of Roll­
ing Stock in 1904, and while
visiting the St. Louis Worlds
Fair in that year, Mr. Blair was
intrigued by the sightsee1ng
electric cars which were operated
around the Fair grounds. These were open
cars with a series of
long1tudinal benches along eaoh
side, arranged in rows one above
the other, on which the passen­
gers sat facing outward. The
upper seats were preferred posi­
tions from which to view the
sights. On his return to Montreal
Mr. Blair made drawings of a
roofless car, embodying the idea
of seats at progressively higher
D -3015 -used by Power Dept.
for poles.
E -3020 -Milk car -Terminal
G -3022 -Stores car for carry­
ing wheels.
J -3023 -Flat car.
K -3021 -Sand car -Terminal
L -3024 -Locomotive -Terminal
At some undetermined time,
No. 3015 was reduced to an un­
motored flat car and fitted with
Brill 27G trucks. It continued
to be used by the Power and Over­
head Line Depts. and was usually
pulled by a Tower Car. A reel
of trolley wire could be mounted
on the flat for feeding out the
wire as it was erected by
the linemen on the Tower. It is
fitted with airbrakes.
levels, but 1n the conventional
manner of seats fac1ng forward on
each side of a central aisle.
After considerable difficulty,
Mr. Blair persuaded the manage­ment
to authorize the building of
such a car at its Hochelaga Shops.
At a
meeting of the Board
of Directors on April 4th, 1905,
we find in the Minute s; The
question of operating Observation
Cars during the coming summer was
decided in the meantime to con­
struct one Observation Car upon
the plans suggested, and that the
question of the operation of the
same be left in abeyance.
Apparently, some legal as­
pect of the matt9r was giving
some concern, for we find the
following notation in the minutes
of another meeting on June 20th,
1905: A letter from the Soli­
citors of the Company with res­
pect to right of operating Obser­
vation Cars at special rates upon
the Companys system was read.
It was decided to follow their
advice in the matter.
What their advice was, we do
not know, but it must have been
favourable for the first Observa­
tion car was put into service
soon thereafter. PubliC reaction
was so favourable that another
was built in 1906, and the two
cars then pecame known as Nos. 1
and 2. (No.2 was recently sold
for operation at Seashore Elec­
tric Railway, Kennebunkport,Me.).
Montreals observation cars
were not intended primarily for
sightseeing by tourists, but
rather to provide an open air
ride for the people of the city
during summer months. In 1924,
two more similar cars were built
by M.T.C.: Nos. 3 and 4. These
last two were built with steel
During the late 1930s all
four MTC observation cars were
fitted with dynamic brakes for
projected operation on the Moun­
tain line. This service never
materialized, however, due to
clearance problems in the curved
tunnel near the summit of Mount
Due to the shortage of rol­
~ stock during the 1939-45 war,
an attempt was made to use the
Observation cars for regular pas-
Double-truck passenger car No. 859.
This car, presently in a
partially dismantled condition,
is of special interest because it
portrays the body style and plat­
form arrangements of the original
pay-as-you-enter cars, first
conceived by Montreal Street Ry.
in 1905.
No. 859 is not one of the
original P.A.Y.E. group, but is
an elongated version, and one of
ninety such cars (the 703 class),
built in 1907 and 1908. While
constructing the original 25 PAYE
cHrs, which were 42 to 46 feet
long, one experimental car (940),
51 -10 in length, was turned out.
This car was exhibited at the Am­
erican Street Railway Association
Convention at Columbus, Ohio, in
Sept. 1906, where it attracted
senger service. To this end No.3 was
ntted with higher side panels
and a roof, and for a few months
in 1943 was operated in rush hour
service on the Cartierville line,
which served Noorduyn and Cana­
da1r a1rcraft plants. The un­
gainly experiment was abandoned
after a short trial and in the
Fall of 1943 all four observation
cars were withdrawn from service
and their trucks and motor equip­
ment used on four wartime car
bodies built in Youville Shops
(Class 1175).
In 1945, the Observation
cars were re-equipped and return­
ed to service during the summer,
while the four cars of the 1175
class were used for passenger
service during the winter months
Front windscreens were in­
stalled on the Observation cars
in 1954 and in this form the cars
were operated until trackage 1n
Montreal had shrunk too greatly.
They were ~ly retired 1n 1958.
There 1s no doubt that the
presence of Observation Nos. 1 &
3 will lend a great deal of in­
terest to the street railway ex­
hibit at the Canadian Rail Trans­
portation Museum.
favourable attention. It
became the prototype of the 703
Class, of which our No. 859 ~ the
only surviving member.
The 703
class cars (703 to
881 –odd numbers only) ,were sup­
plied by four builders: Canadian
Car &; Foundry, Ottawa Car Mfg.Co.,
the J. G. Brill Company, and the
Pressed Steel Car Corp. No.859
is one of the Brill group.
While impressive and highly
functional, these cars were some­
what handicapped by clearance
difficulties on the curves in Mon-
treals narrow streets. They
were the longest M. T.C. cars to be
operated in local city service.
In 1913, the original 9 ft. rear
platforms were shortened by two
No.859 prior to its final run on November 22nd, 1952.
The occasion was a CRHA excursion from Youville Shops
to Montreal Nord to mark the retirement of the last of
the 70, class trams.
No. 859 was put into service
in September 1907, and it was the
last car of its type to operate.
On this final occasion, it was
chartered by CRHA members for a
Double-truck passenger car No. 997.
This car is, what might be
termed, a steel version of the
style of No. 859, and is one of
a group of fifty cars known as the
901 class (Nos. 901-999 odd nos.)
They were purchased in 1910 and 1911 from
the Ottawa Car Mfg. Co.
The underframe and body framing
is of steel, and because early
attempts to design steel carbody
frames were not too skillful, the
weight is somewhat exoessive, be­
ing in the order of 54,000 Ibs.
The 901 series marked the
stabilization of body dimensions,
inasmuch as a car of about 46 ft.
in length was found to be most
suited to Montreal oonditions.
The 901 group were the last cars
to be acquired by Montreal Street
Railway; -subsequent trams were
purchased by Montreal Tramways Company, newly formed
in 1912.
An unusual feature of these
oars was their flat vertical side
panels. Up to 1910, all M.S.R.
oars had been constructed with
divided side panels, the lower
speoial trip over the Montreal
Nord line, November 22nd, 1952.
It is hoped, in due course,
to restore this car.
part of which curved inwards. The
flat panels of the 901 class made them
appear quite modern even in
their later years.
Due to weight and rugged
construction,the 90ls were found
to be ideally suited for suburban
service and several were equipped
with nose plows, additional heat­
ers and pneumatic rear doors for
operation on the Pte.aux Trembles
and Bout de l Ile line. The r e –
mainder of the series were fitted
with manually operated rear doors
in 1942. Our specimin, No.997,
however, appears more or less in
its original state, including the
red panel and large numerals on
the front dash. This device was
used in the early 1900s to sig­
nify P.A.Y.E. cars to waiting pas­
sengers, and therefore everyone
should haTe his fare ready.
By 1955 only a dozen of this
series remained. They were with­
drawn from servioe in June of
that year, -the last oar to oper­
ate being No.90l on June 22nd.
Page 174
Thurso & Nation Valley
Ii 10
Mine de Mica.
Canadian Rail
75° w.
o Chen Ii villi
La. Minerve
Cana d 1 an Ra 11 Page 175
Thurso 8 Nation Valley Railway
-o. S. A. Lavallee
ONE OF THE I,IOST INT~HESTIIJG applications of the railway to
private industry in Canada has been in the hauling of forest prod­
ucts from our countrys vast natural store of timber, and it was
not too many years ago that many operations of this kind flourished
from coast to coast. The development of specialized highway equip­
ment by the automotive industry has made serious inroads upon the
smaller volume operations, but a few logging railways can still be
seen in operation, particularly in western Canada, on Vancouver
The operation with which we are concerned, however, is neither
on the Island nor even in the west, though it is one of the longest
such railways still in existence in Canada. It is in the Province
of Quebec, and its southern terminus is on the north shore of the
Ottawa Hiver, barely thirty miles downstream from Ottawas Parlia­
ment Hill. This aptly-titled system, the Thurso & Nation Valley
Railway Company, runs from the town of Thurso, on the Canadian
Pacifics Lachute Subdivision, up the valley of the Little Na­
tion River, through the wooded, rolling hills of Papineau and Lab­
elle counties. The carrier is owned by the Singer t-lanufacturing
Company, which is otherwise noted for sewing machines. It serves a
vast, unsettled hinterland of Crown territory stretching back for
more than fifty miles into the Laurentian interior, possesses five
diesel locomotives and a former Canadian Pacific official car, and
based on present forecasts, looks forward to a safe and secure
History and Description
Chartered in Quebec (16 Geo. V, Cap.ll]) on March 24th, 1925,
the Thurso & Nation Valley Railway commenced construction immediat­
ely, and a little over a year later,in July 1926, carried the first
load of logs to the Thurso sawmill. In these early years, the Com­
pany poss,essed three steam locomotives, two being of the familiar
geared type, while the third was one of only a handful of tender
engines of the 2-6-2 arrangement ever used in the Dominion. An ex­
actly similar locomotive is still owned by McMillan &.Bloedel on
its Nanaimo Lakes operation on Vancouver Island. The railways
route lay northward for some 27 miles through the villages and ham­
lets of St. Sixte, ValencaY, and Ripon to what was then known as
Headquarters Camp at Singer, Que. From Singer, the railway went
a further thirteen miles or so in a northwesterly direction through
Hartwell, Lathbury and Papineau townships following the valleys of
the Riviere Laroche and the Hiviere Savanne. The terminal camp was
about forty miles from Thurso. In the mid-Thirties, a spur was
constructed northward from Singer for four or five miles, and this
eventually became the main line after the line into the Savanne
valley was logged out.
After about ten years of operation, the Savanne territory be­
came denuded of usable timber in the vicinity of the railway and
the decision was made to extend the railway north,,,,ard through Hart­
well and Preston townships to the village of Duhamel, at the north
end of Lac Simon. This extension was apparently completed just
prior to the outbreak of war in 1939, and it included the summit of
the railway, where the tracks go above the 900-foot elevation for
a short distance, about thirty miles from Thurso. The former main­
line northwesterly into Papineau township fell r,radually into dis­
use and was abandoned, with a woods road being constructed alone its
alignment. A vestigial relic of this route is the wye just south
of Singer, at Mile 26.
Extension northward from Duhamel took place in 1940 and 1941,
continuing into Gagnon and Lesage Townships in the County of Lab­
elle. The railway went up the lest shore of Lac Gagnon, then fol­
lowing the Riviere £rnest past Ernest Lake, terminated finally at
Camp 27, some 56.4 miles from Thurso. This location, still the
northern terminal of the T&NVR, is only fourteen miles from Nomin­
ingue and 25 miles from Ivlont-Laurier, both on the Ste. Agathe Sub­
division of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Some short spurs were
intermittently in use, one at Mile 24 for about half mile to Baie
de lOurs; another at Mile 46 for 1.2 miles down to Lac Gagnon, and
a third at the end of the line, Mile 56, for 4.1 miles to a lake.
Only the branch at Mile 46 remains, though there are a nwnber of
short log-loading and gravel pit sidings. V/yes are located at Sin­
ger (Mile 26), Nile 36 (one mile south of Duhamel), and at Camp 27
(Mile 56).
Conversion of the Thurso & Nation Valley Railway to diesel
electric motive power came about beginning in 1947, when 2-6-2 No.2 was
sold to the r.lontreal Coke & Manufacturing plant in Montreal, and
Shay No. 3 was scrapped at Thurso. No.1, which appears to have
been a Climax, was scrapped after a few years service in the late
1920s. Since then, seven internal combustion locomotives have been
acquired, of which five are still in use, one having been lost in a
washout near Duhamel, while the second was sold to the Canada &
Gulf Terminal Railway at Iv/ont Joli, Que.
For many years, the Thurso railway remained a closed book to
railway amateurs, due largely to conservative company policy, and
possibly stemning originally from security measures surrounding the
reported employment of prisoners-of-war in the bush during the Sec­
ond World War. Recently, however, an exception was made for a
group of about fifty to make a trip over the line from Thurso to
Canadian Rail Page 177
Camp 27 and return. This trip was carried out under the auspices
of the Laurentide Chapter of the National Railway Historical Soc­
iety, to which CHHA members and friends were invited, and it took
place on Saturday, August 17th, 1963.
The participants boarded Canadian Pacific HDC-2 No. 9114 at
Montreal, and travelled as a special move to Thurso, via Ste. Ther­
ese and Lachute. The train left Montreal at 8:15 AM, EST and arr­
ived at Thurso two hours later. It is worthy of note that the con­
ductor was Mr. Walter Doran, a member both of NRHS and CRHA. Upon
arri~al at Thurso, the passengers disembarked directly into the
gate of the Singer yard to find a picturesque special train await­
ing, consisting of 70-ton diesel-electric locomotive No.7, two CPR
gondola cars and T&IN official car No. 27. The day being overcast
and inclined to rain, most of the participants boarded the official
car which is now in its 55th year, having been built by the Canad­
ian Pac,ific Railway at Farnham in April, 1909. One of that Comp­
anys well-known 35-foot official cars, No. 27 was sold to the
Thurso & Nation Valley Hailway in 1929, just a few years after the
lines opening. It is the last CPR 35-foot car in existence.
In view of the preference for the sheltered accornodation, it
was decided to leave one of the gondolas at Thurso, and CPR 342326 was
retained for the trip up the line. A short period of switching
served to rid us of the surplus car, and to the basic three-car
train thus resulting, were added nine pulp-rack cars at the rear.
Less than a quarter of an hour after disembarkinF, from the CPR
we were on our way, the diesel exhaust of No.7 blowing back over
the gondola car as the train ascended the steep incline out of the
yard up to the plateau above, which formed the Ottawa River shore
in prehistoric times. In the first mile or so, the railway climbs
more than 100 feet. Once up the hill, the train picked up speed
and maintained a fairly-uniform 30 mile-per-hour pace, over wel~
ballasted track. Soon we found ourselves in the Laurentian foot­
hillS, clattering over the points of the siding at Mile 5, then
skirting, in turn, the villages of St. Sixte and Valencay. The sta­
tion at Bile 15, Hipon, doubles as a shelter for track motor cars
and, until recently, boasted the lines only train order board.
This was probably more for ornament than use, since the trains are
dispatched by radiO, all locomotives being so equipped.
L :
I() ~
, ,

Oi ~~
J ~

, i



– 4


……. –





c::::::J c:=::J
r£l ~
~I ~
27 27
No. 27
Thurso and Nation Valley Speoial Train
at Camp 27, Que., August 17th, 1963.
(Photo by Robert Half yard)
About an hour after leaving Thurso, without noticeable inci­
dent other than a few harder-than-usual spurts of rain, our tAain
arrived at Singer, Hile 26, where the timberland ber;ins and the
farmland enus. South of the station is a wye, which marks the or­
ie;inal railway up to the Savanne valley. Here, our locomotive and
the nine pulp racks were uncoupled, the locomotive replaced by 44-
ton unit No.9, which vlOrks north of J·iile 26 only. 140 time ,~as
lost, and after a stop of barely five r:linutes, we were on our;ay
again, climbing into a narrow valley with scarcely enou~h room for
the railway and a small stream. Near Hile 30, the summit level of
the whole line is attained where, for a time, the rails lay sl­
i€:htly above the 900-foot elevation; ~e had climbed about 700 feet
since leaving Thurso. Onrepast this narrow defile, the train Jesc­
enJed a 3~~ grade, which is the rlllin[~ hill f,)r southbound, loaded
trains, and obtained a brief f;limpse of two former Canadian Pacific
wooden passenger cars and a caboose on the wye at Mile 36, before
stopping at Duhamel, 37 miles from Thurso. There is a two-track
enf:inehouse here, ~hich was empty as we passed on our northward
The 30-m.p.h. pace continued as our locomotive pulled its
light, swayinG two-car train alone: the picturE;sque reaches of the
shores of Lac Gagnon, passing occasional stacks of _logs ready
for loading, fed to the sin~le track by roads into the forest. The
overcast and intermittent rain perSisted, making the day seem more
like one in late autumn than in mid-AUGust. Consequ,mtly, it was
with some sense of achievement that the buildings of Camp 27 came
into view around a curve anli with the sight, the welcome nells that
tea, coffee and cookies awaited us in the camp dining hall. Behind
us lay 56.4 miles of sinuous Single-track line,laid with rail whose
weight ranged from 56 to 80 pounds, over which our trip had been
made in just unuer three hours.
While we had our snack (with the compliments of the railway),
the locomotive anu eondola car were wyed and recoupled to the off­
icial car, which is still knom by its former CPR number 27. Here,
those of us who had braved the rain on the northbound trip in the
gonuola car took the opportunity to examine the interior of the
official car, to find it fitted up plainly but comfortably, not too
far removed from its appearance while on the CPR, though missing
the original beuroom in favour of an enlarged lounge-dining room.
It was at this point, characteristically, that CRHAls Railway Comm­
ittee mentally earmarked No. 27 for the museum, when the T&NV Rail­
way is through with it, of coursel

Canadian Rail Page 181
Shouts of all aboard by Hr. Gaetan Lafleur, the superinten­
dent of the T&NVR, gathered the passengers together for the return
trip, and departure was made about 1:)0 PM. The rain had now ceas­
ed, but the overcast remained; however, we were afforded brief
glimpses of deer and other wild life. At one point on the north­
ward journey, a series of short, sharp notes from the whistle of
No. 7 had drawn our attention to sheep on the track. Deer need no
such blatant warning, and a short note from the locomotive was
sufficient to notify the passengers that something interesting was
to be seen. Our progress along the line was marked by the strident
tones of the whistle as it blew religiously for everyone of innum­
erable dirt-road grade crossings. The vhistle effectively punc­
tuated conversation in the open car.
On the return trip, the train stopped briefly at the wye at
riJile 36, then backed dOlm the west leg so that passengers might ex­
amine the two coaches and van noted on the northward journey, and
now derelict at this point. At the spur at Mile )), we backed in
and. picked up another ex-CP van, this one showine; signs of activity
with a curl of wood smoke rising from its smoke jack. Our three
car train then proceeded to the north switch at Singer, where our
locomotive No. 9 cut off and went into a siding to await No. 7
which had returned to Thurso with a ballast train after leaving us
several hours previously.
The passengers occupied themselves with a picture-taking res­
pite and after standing for about twenty minutes, were greeted by
No.7 with a string of now-empty ballast cars which were placed in
a pit track, before the locomotive coupled to our three car train.
The non-stop trip back from Singer to Thurso was made in little
more than an hour, and after wyeing at the enginehouse in the mill
yard, backed alongside the waiting CPR fiDC, No. 9114.
The CPR special train left almost immediately, and after mak­ine; ve
ry good time, arrived back in Montreal promptly at 6:)0 PM,
giving us good cause to remember favourably, the first rail amateur
trip over eastern Canada t s lon{~est logging railway and, we earn­
estly hope, not the last!
Arrange.Jents for the excursion were made by He ssrs. S. S. for­
then and vl.F.G. Doran, who p;ratefully acknowledge the splendid co­
operation of the officers of the Singer I-Ianufacturing Company and
the Thurso & lJation Valley Railway Company.
(See next page)
Thurso and Nation Valley
Railway equipment at Thurso Que, on August
24th, 1935.
2-6-2 looomotive #2.
Former OF oonduotors van #3.
Russell snowplow #10.
(Three photos from the oolleotion
of the late William Cole.)

Canadian Rail Page 183
••••••••••••• by O.S.A. Lavallee
The contract for the construction of Mon­
treals rapid-transit cars has finally been
awarded, though at a cost considerably higher
than original estimates. An emergency meeting
of the City Council on August 6th awarded a
contract to Canadian Vickers Limited, Montreal,
to construct 369 cars for $45,513,97$. These
units will be made up into three-car train sets
at an average cost of $354,461 per set. The
longest trains will comprise three sets, or
nine cars.
The awarding of this contract followed negotiations carried on
with both Canadian Vickers and Montreal Locomotive VJorks, the only
two firms tendering on the original deadline of June 20th. The
contract at that time called for construction of 279 cars only, and
when the submissions were opened, they were found to be for an am­
ount almost double that originally provided for, $20,900,000, when
the construction of the rubber-tired transit system was given the
green light late in 1961. Later meetings between city authorities
and representatives of MLW and Vickers resulted in modifications in
equipment, in order to obtain some reduction in price, and revised
prices were submitted. Later, however, it was decided to seek any
cost revision by ordering larger quantities of cars with longer
delivery deadlines. The award to Vickers went as a result of an
advantage of only ~3l,300 over MLWs third bid of $45,545,21$.
While no indication has been made by the contractor as to where the
cars are to be built, it was understood that consideration had been
given to leasing a portion of the former Can-Car plant in Ville St.
Pierre in suburban Montreal, especially for this purposej however,
other sources indicate that the space contemplated may, by now,
have been leased to other parties.
At the same meeting of City Council, it was asked to approve
authority for the administration to borrow an additional $46,660,000
for subway construction and equipment, this to be added to the or­
iginal (1961) appropriation of $132,090,000. The added amount was
accounted for only in part by the increased cost of the rolling
stock, the balance being for the purpose of building three exten­
sions to the basic network, which have now been officially author­
(I) Extension of Line No. 2 from Cremazie Boulevard to Henri-Bour­
assa Boulevard.
(2) Extension of Line No.2 from Craig Terminus to the region of
Central and Windsor Stations.
(J) A new line from the intersections of Lines 1 and 2 at DeI-lontig­ny
Street, to the community of Longueuil on the south shore of
the Saint Lawrence, extending under the river and serving the
artificial island,Ile Notre Dame, on which the 1967 Exposition
is to be situated.
Line No.1 is expected to cost ~45,120,000j Line No. 2 will be
increased to ~61,226,000 while the Demontigny-Longueuil spur will
entail an outlay of ~17,000,000.
Page 184 Canadian Rail
Contrary to recent newspaper reports, the City is still negot­
iating with CNR for use of the Mount Royal Tunnel, though on the
basis of using the rubber-tired rolling stock, rather than full­
size North American style rail rapid transit vehicles, as original­
ly contemplated. The extension of Line No. 2 from Cremazie to
Henri-Bourassa will probably result in the abandonment of that part
of the IvIount Royal project (Line No.3) which envisioned a branch
from Eastern Junction tonards Montreal North. Other extensions may
be in the offing, in the light of contractual permission recently
obtained from Canadian Pacific Railway to perform soil tests and
other inspection under its roadbed between Vlindsor Station and At­
water Avenue. This survey is on the alignment of Line No. 2 which was
extended, as noted above, from the downtown financial district
to the region of Windsor Station.
During July and August, the Montreal Transportation Corruniss­
ions Youville Shops were dismantled to make way for construction
of new rapid-transit repair facilities. All other materials left
over from the street railway operation which ceased in 1959, were
disposed of including seventeen PCC cars and a few work vehicles
which were to1ed away for scrap. Rail, trucks, spare parts and
most of the non-PCC cars found their way to the electric railway
museums at Branford and Kennebunkport, and to our museum at Delson.
Another fugitive from the demolishers Vias a full-size, plywood-built
replica of a ~funtreal subway car, which had been built in the for­
mer paint shop at Youville during the winter of 1962-63, in a cl­
oak-and-dagger atmosphere. The mockup, which utilizes discarded
autobus tyres for the sake of appearance, was moved to a safer
location. It will presumably be used to experiment with colour
schemes and interior decorative treatment; the shape of things to
come may perhaps be seen in the two-tone exterior grey-blue colour
treatment, and the single-piece full-width windshield across the
motormans compartment.
~JIIIIII.IIIIIIIIIIIIIII111111111 ……… 11 …… 1..
We strive for acouracy.
We like to think that historians and writers of the
future will regard facts and statistics published in
Canadian Rail with confidence. Therefore, we ap­
preciate it when readers bring factual misprints to
our attention. In the July-August issue, it was re­
ported that M.T.C. 2653 was amongst the trams ship­
ped to the U.S.A. Mr.Latour has now informed us tbat
this should have read M.T.C. 2652 •
•• 11 ••••• JI …… II. 1.1 11.1.11 … 11 ……….. 11111 ….. II ………. II •• 11.11.1111.1111 .. 1. 11.1.-
A weloome.
Last month we published an illustrated article on the
C.P.R. Montreal Lakeshore service, by Mr.K.R. Thomas.
This month, we welcome to our growing list of authors
and oontributors, Mr.J.S.Nioholson of Saskatoon,Sask.
Mr.Nicholson, on page IB9, informs us of the progress
being made on CNs re-development scheme in that cit~
We extend our thanks to both these new oontributors,
as well as to the many others who have contributed du­
ring the past fourteen years of publioation.
144 and 29
W. Angus.
the engines built eighty and more years ago The
most popular type was the 4-4-0.
C.P. 144, which now is ours
Since the year 86 has been pulling the cars.
Twas only four months since the C.P.R.
Was finished out to the PaCifiC, so far,
When our engine, then known as 351,
Steamed out of the shops and made her first run.
The thirtieth engine built by this line
At Delorimier Shops looked very fine.
The deSign of Francis R. F. Brown, A
Superintendent of great renown.
The following year number 29, The
sixty-fifth built, first ran on the line.
390 her number waS in this year,
When first she steamed up amid many a cheer.
In the year 88, the Delorimier Shop The
building of 4-4-0s did stop.
So old twenty-nine and one forty-four
Were now of a class to be built no more.
The decades ahead saw developments new
In the locomotives and railway cars too.
The trains were much longer, and faster they went.
The old 4-4-0s to the branch lines were sent.
For the new stock, the numbering was all rearranged.
The classification letters were changed.
By 1912, the engines, they say,
Vere given the numbers they still have today.
Yet onward they rolled as the years passed along,
Rebuilt and renumbered, they still carried on.
But many that started about the same time
One by one came to the end of the line.
The years rolled on, and the time arrived
When they went to Angus to be revived.
Then, in New Brunswick, smoke puffed from their fires,
Vfuile driven by engineer Johnny Myers.
At Chipman town they last were seen,
Where from Norton and back they had often been,
With 136, last 4-4-0s to run.
The diesels replaced them, and then there were none.
And so they said a sad adieu
To the Maritimes, which loved them too.
The C.P.R., so generous and kind
Gave them to the Museum, a treasured find.
Now to Delson the engines ~re bound,
~e hope there for many a year theyll be found.
Restored and repainted, and looking the best,
The old iron horses are now at their rest.
The Mammoth Move from Youville
By O.S.A. Lavallee
During the week of June 10th, the Association successfully
completed a moving project which, from the points of view of mag­
nitude and logistics, probably surpasses anything of the kind ever
undertaken on this continent by a non-profit railway amateur group.
The task comprised the removal of twenty-seven transit vehicles
from the Montreal Transportation Commissions Youville Shops, at
8845 St. Lawrence Boulevard, in Montreal, to the site of the Canad­
ian Rail Transportation Jl1useum at Delson, Que., a bout twenty miles
distant. Twenty-five of the vehicles were electric railway cars,
while the remaining two were non-rail, an omnibus and a sleigh both
dating back to the horse-car era in the city.
It all started back in April when, faced with the necessity of
demolishing Youville Shops to make way for repair facilities for
the new rapid-transit system now under construction, the Montreal
Transportation Commission offered to sell the MTC Historical Coll­
ection to the Association at a nominal price, provided that the
sixteen vehicles comprised therein should be removed from Youville
by the beginning of June. Implicit in this request was that CRHA
should also remove five cars already owned by it and stored through
the courtesy of the f;1TC at the same location. Further, the Assoc­
iation was offered the choice of the service equipment remaining at
that time, and after due consideration settled upon six vehicles.
The first obstacle to present itself was the fact that the
cars requiring cover necessitated some eight hundred feet of track
space. Only two bays, each 330 long, remained unoccupied in our
building at the time that the decision was made, and we have other
rail equipment to provide for as well. The problem was solved when
we determined that, with delicate tolerances, two streetcar tracks
could be placed side-by-side in one twenty-foot-wide bay, to afford
crowded, though temporary, storage. Accordingly, it was decided to
equip all of the Track 2 bay with double track, and the rear half
of the Track 1 bay, affording about 900 feet of streetcar storage,
but still leaving 150 feet of normal railway clearance in Track I
to accomodate other equipment.Hith this decided, work efforts
were concentrated to complete the quarter-mile of track necessary to
make the plan operative. dork was put in hand every weekend, and,
as Moving Day loomed, night work was performed. As a matter of
fact, one of the last key pieces of track was put in place at 10 PM
on the day preceding removal of the first cars !
Owing to absence of railway sidings at You ville Shops, it was
decided that the cars would have to move to Delson by highway,
and matters were helped at this stage by a favourable quotation,
with a sizeable discount as a special concession to the museum, off­
ered by Brocklesby Transports Limited. The move was set for the
week of June lOth.
Late in llay, as recorded in last months CANADIAN RAIL, the
transfer ceremony was held at the MTC Headquarters Building, in
which our PreSident, Dr. Nicholls, handed the cheque covering the
Canadian Rai 1 Page 187
sale price to Jrigadier Guy Gauvreau, Chairman and General Manager,
Montreal Transportation Commission, an Honorary Vice-President and
a staunch friend of the Association. The ceremonies over with, the
business end of the removal got under way.
At the last minute, the move was deferred by one day, to June
11th, because unfavourable soil conditions in the creosoting yard
made necessary a change of locale for the unloading. The new site
selected involved the more extensive use of CPR siding tracks for
the transport of the cars, but permission was readily given by the
Railway Company provided that duly-qualified C~HA personnel were on
hand to look after the closing of siding switches an~ take personal
responsibility to ensure that no derailment or other mishap occ­
urred while the cars were adjacent to the CPR main line (as they
were for about five hundred feet of the distance).
The order of delivery of the cars was as follows:
Tuesday, June 11
Wednesday, 12
Thursday, 13
Friday, 14
CRHA 8; MSR 274, 350.
MTC 3, 51, 200, 997 3151, 3200.
MTC 1,1317,1959,2222,3015,5001, VJ-63.
MCPR 7, 20; MTC 859, 1046, 1339, 1$01, 3517,
Vl-2; OTC $59.
M&SC 104, 611.
Here again, no Llifficu1ty was experienced except that a planned
sequence for delivery of the cars was not able to be carried out
at the last minute, as a result of the cutting of 550-vo1t power at
Consequently, observation car No.1, originally scheduled
to have been delivered on the first day so that it could be put in­
Side, did not come until Thursday, when all of our outside sidings
were choked with other cars. The Railway Committee crews worked
until 11:15PM that evening, practicing switching puzzles with an
extremely limited track layout, and, incidentally, using part of
CPRs Candiac spur, to get No.1 inside the building. Our task was
magnified by the necessity to couple up using drawbars, links and
pins, and the tendency for the narrow-treaded electric cars to de­
rail on standard railway self-guarding switch frogs.
The aftermath of this move, vhich concluded on Ilonday, June
17th, found all but two of our electric cars at De1son, and much work
ahead of us for the sur~ner to provide track space for all of
the equipment. The move caught us unawares, and forced us to back
out of an undertaking to take all of the CPR steam locomotives in
June 2.S originally planned. Canadian Pacific, with customary un­
derstanding and after bringing Selkirk 5935 and 2-8-2 546$ all the
way down from Calgary, obligingly put them in storage at Angus until
we can cope with them, later in the autumn.

.$ .

Canadian Rail Page 189
Saskatoon Terminal Development
by J.S. Nicholson
Formal agreement between the Canadian National Railways and
the City of Saskatoon calling for removal of the Railways facili­
ties from the downtown area was signed at Saskatoon last Spring.
Following the ceremony at City Hall, various railway and civic of­
ficials proceeded to the site of the new yard to be constructed on
the southwestern outskirts of the City. With CN President Donald
Gordon at the controls of a giant earth moving machine, work on the
Saskatoon Terminal project was begun.
The agreement calls for removal of CN trackage from the down­town
area of Saskatoon, thus freeing 24 acres of choice land in the
heart of the City for commercial redevelopment. A new yard cover­
ing more than 300 acres and containing more than 38 miles of track
is to be built south of the present CN main line near the western
edge of the City. The new yard will include a passenger station,
express-freight centre, diesel and car shop, work equipment service
building, and yard office. The six-million-dollar project will be
twelve minutes by auto from downtown Saskatoon and is to be ready
for use by July, 1965. Administrative offices for CNs Saskatchew­
an Area will remain in the Citys centre.
When the new yard is completed, the present Nutana freight
yard, covering more than 180 acres on the south side of the City,
will be turned into an industrial park for light industry. Approx­
imately two miles of right-of-way connecting Nutana Yard with the
present downtown city yard will be taken over by the City for use
as a high-s.peed traffic artery. The City will also obtain the
present railway bridge spanning the South Saskatchewan River and
convert it to handle road traffic.
At the official ceremonies marking the start of the project,
Mr. Gordon stated that both the railway and the city will benefit
from the undertaking. He added, This Saskatoon project is unique
in the annals of CN history. It marks the first complete removal
of railway trackage from a major city centre. Mayor Buckwold of
Saskatoon stated, Not many cities have a second chance. Saskatoon
is in the happy position of being able to rebuild its downtown
idea of relocating the railway facilities was conceived by
civic officials following a long-range traffic survey c~ried out
in Saskatoon in recent years. A firm of traffic consultants recom­
mended measures which would have cost the city approximately twenty
four million dollars, a substantial portion of which resulted from
the presence of the CNs City Yard impeding the free flow of traf­
fic. When civic officials realized the saving which would result
from removal of the yard, unofficial talks were held with local
railway officers on the possibility of relocating the yard. The
matter was progressed through various levels of railway management
and culminated with the signing of the agreement on May 6, 1963.
On May 7th, 1962, Gerald Lapointe of Fredericton, N.B.
obtained this interesting view of Broughton COllieries
,¥17. The 2-6-0 was buH t in April 1903 by the Ameri­
can Locomotive Co. at Schenectady (.127301). We re­
ceived Mr. Lapointes photo through the kindness of
Messrs. Howard Easton and R. Burns.
A bright blue boxcar on the Canadian National signifies
a Car-Go-Rail transporter. The above photo shows an
automobile being loaded into the end-door rail vehicle
tor shipment under the C.N.s newest passenger travel
promotion plan. (CNR photo)
Canadian Rai 1 Pap;a
Notes and News
by W. L. Pharoah
* CN plans to build Canadas most modern railway technical research
centre, in Montreal. Construction tenders for the new building
have been called and it is due for completion by the middle of
next year. The centre will be built near the new Montreal hump
yard. The new building will replace an old four-storey one near
the Point St. Charles sho,ps, which has been used as research and
test laboratories since 1945, when the technical research section
was formed.
* The Montreal Transportation Commission, having been unsuccessful
in finding a buyer for its 17 P.C.C. streetcars, has recently
scrapped them.
* CN steam locomotive No. 5107, used last year
was sent to the Ontario Northland Railway on
preservation and exhibition by that railway.
the locomotive will bear O.N.R. lettering!
on a C.R.H.A. excursion,
July 26, for permanent
It is reported that
* Reflecting the benefits of a $12 million track improvement program
undertaken over the past seven years, CN has speeded up its freight
services between Prince RUpert and Jasper. Elapsed time between
the two points will be less than 24 hours as against more than 32
hours formerly. For shippers to eastern Canadian points this will
mean one-day earlier arrival in Toronto and Montreal by reason
of connections with fast transcontinental trains at Red Pass Junct­
ion, Jasper, and Edmonton. Shippers of fresh and frozen fish out
of Prince Rupert and Ketchikan will benefit particularly by this
faster access to the major eastern markets. This northern trans­
continental route has gained added significance in the past year
as a new transportation link with Alaska. ON now has Aquatrains
operating from Prince Rupert to Whittier and to Saxman, near Ket­
chikan. The railways improvement program has involved laying
295 miles of new 100-pound rail, placing 494,000 yards of high
quality ballast, renewing 180,000 track ties and other such items
as 176,000 additional rail anchors and 35,000 tie plates in order
to handle higher speeds and heavier loads.
* A road-rail trailer, developed by CN, is a new concept in the hous­
ing of maintenance-of-way crews. The trailer can travel by road
or by rail and is designed to reduce the $166 million CN spends on
track maintenance annually while at the same time providing the
men who work on the line with all the comforts of home. Each
trailer sleeps six men. With the road-rail trailer, work crews
can travel to work sites abos.rd their self-propelled equipmert
such as tampers and j.nspectlon cars, towing their own living quar­
ters. They can set off the trailers at any convenient pOint. No
interference is caused to passing trains, and the men do not have
to travel long distances from bunk and boarding Cars to work sites.
They can travel by road with the trailer if this saves time.
White Collar Workout
-Doug Wright, Montreal Star
A few more days and your wind and your nerves will come back just as tbough youd never heen away on vacation!
esla6lish,J 1932 • :Box 22 . Station:B :Montreal 2 . Que6u • 8ncorparalcJ 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committee, Canadian Railroad
Historical Association. Subscription: $2.50 annually.
Anthony Clegg.
William Pharoah.
John W. Saunders.
Jeffrey Forrest.
Robert Half yard.
Orner Lavallee.
Frederick F .. Angus ..
Peter Murphy.
At leu. 5 weeb before you
move, lend u. • leller, a urd.
or III POII-oUice chance-of.
.ddn:e8 lona telli~ ~ both JOur
OLD and yo … NEW addra..a.
OTTAWA VALLEY: Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3. 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa. OntO
PACIFIC COAST: Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN: William T. Sharp, Apartment II, 11544 St. Albert Trail, Edmonton, Alta.
SOUTHERN ONTARIO: William D. McKeown, Apsl·tment 201,859 Kennedy Rd., Scarborough, Onto
ALGOMA: William F. Cooksley. 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
Copyright 1963

Demande en ligne