Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 146 1963

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 146 1963

) ffi.~iin
Issued 11 times yeady by
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
While passengers and crew enjoyed roast beef in the station-agents
private dining room, locomotive C.N. 1223 replenished her tenderna
siphon from the adjacent stream at Gooderham, Ontario -April,1952.
Gone now is siphon, mixed train and LB.& O.Railway (abandoned Mar.,
1960) but the locomotive is to be preserved at the CRHA Museum at
,,, ..
…. ,
Exterior and Interior views of Edmontons Library Carl
photographed June 24 and 25, 1948 at Calder. (Edmonton)
-~ –
. ~ ..
Canadian Rail
Page 147
The Tramway Library in Edmonton.
by A. Clegg from information
supplied in 1948 by Mr. J.
Fearon and Mr. H. Gourlay of
the Edmonton Public Library.
During the early history of electric railways, many of the
systems undertook to perform special services in addition to their
prime task of providing urban transit facilities. Some lines op­
erated Railway Post Offices, some specialized in the transportation
of heavy building materials, while others went into the advertising
and sightseeing business. With the advent of the motor truck and
the autobus, however, the great majority of these special railway
services were discontinued, and few were left in the cities of
North America after the mid 1930s.
Therefore, it was with interest that those concerned with the
electric railway industry regarded the unique tramway library which
was put into operation in Edmonton, Alberta, on October 10, 1941.
This experiment in bringing the facilities of the Edmonton Public
Library to thousands of Edmonton citizens living far from the cen­
tre of the City is believed to have been the first such venture in
the world and the only such undertaking in America.
During the year 1941, one of the double-truck wooden trams of
the Edmonton Radial Railways was retired from passenger service.
and handed over to the Edmonton Public Library for rehabilitation
as a travelling book-room. Seats were removed and replaced by
book shelves. and the interior was rearranged to suit the require­
ments of the Librarian. Its general exterior lines, railroad-type
roof and mechanical features were not altered, but the majority of
the windows were eliminated in order to provide the necessary shelf
room inside for some fifteen hundred books of all types. The
transformation of the tram was completed during the autumn of 1941
and on October 10th. the service was put into operation.
That the venture was a success was proved by the fact that
over eight hundred books were handled by the Tramway Library each
day that the car was in use. Different outlying sections of Ed­
monton were visited on a pre-announced schedule. Calder suburb,
far removed from the heart of the city, was one of the chief bene­
fioiaries of this rolling library. During the 1940s and early
1950s, paved streets were few and far between in Calder, and the
travelling bookroom fulfilled a great need by bringing to the in­
habitants of the district a faoility that would otherwise have
been most diffioult to obtain.
The following paragraphs. written in 1948, describe a visit
to the Tramway Library by the author.
~As soon as the blue and white car has been spotted on one of
the stub sidings that are a feature of the Edmonton Transit System,
groups of youngsters dash to tte car in order to be the first to ob­
tain the most desired books. Mr. Jack Fearon, who is in oharge of
this novel librarY,assists those who are in doubt about the choice
of reading matter, and it is he who keeps everything in shipshape
order, although the customers do most of the work of registering
the books borrowed and returned. The traditional silence and
Page 148. Canadian Rail
gloom of the average public library is missing froQ this car, and
in its place, is present a more informal atmosphere, as the young­
sters and adults exchange opinions on the books they have read,
and seek recommendations for their next weeks reading.
The interior of the oonverted tram oontains, in addition to
the 1500 volumes of literature and reference books, two desks and a few
chairs. Books are received at the front entrance, and re­
corded out at the rear. Car-Card advertisements have been re­
placed by notes on the latest books, and the lighting has been
arranged so as to illuminate the shelves to best advantage.
While a good deal of the Tramway LibraryS work is with the
younger generation of Edmontons citizens, for whom a trip to the
main Public Library would be almost an impossibility, the facili­
t1 es are by no means limi ted to any age group. All who desire may
use the facilities of the car without charge, and the popularity of
the venture is proof of the outstanding success of this unique,
electric railway service.
C. P. 8300, photographed last. June 7th at Trois Rivieres by Roger
Boisvert. Mr. Boisvert also reports that Canadian Pacific 1902 and
1910, erroneously designated as A units in the May issue of
Canadian Rail, were, in fact, B units.
The Great Northerns
by Pe ter COl[
Dating baok to June 18, 1950, daily servioe between Vancouver,
B.O. and Seattle, Washington, has been provided by the Great Nor­
therns streamlined Internat10nals. Reflect1ng on the many ohanges
th1s operation has undergone over the years br1ngs to 11ght varying
principles of railway operation and economic overhaul. The Inter­
national fairly shouts of belng a U.S. train and is thereby a oom­
pletely different speotacle than its rail-borne sisters on this
side of the border.
What are the qualities exhibited by this assemblage of wheels,
colour and timing which contribute to this differenoe? Several.
Sharing the same route to New We-stmins-ter-as eN I st.rans.–ecntinent­
als, the Goat travels the 11.7 miles in 20 mlntltes, while the eN
varnish requires 35. (The Great Northern owns the right of way. –
Ed.) Always generously powered, the International steps into town
at a brisk 55 m.p.h.; there is no faster way to travel between
these two points. Her bright orange and Pullman green are always
sparkling clean, her equipment flawlessly maintained. From Mars
headlight to OSCillating red tail-light, this train differs from
anything else on Oanadian rails and the U.S. influence takes some
getting used to. When first oonfronted by the brilliant, almost
flourescent blue of the conductors uniform you are likely to be
somewhat startled. Elegance is inadequate to describe the luxuri­
ous parlour cars Port of Vancouver and Port of Beattle whioh
trail eaoh train set. A modern riohness emanates from their inter­
iors, such that it is a privilege to pay the extra fare required to
venture through their automatic doors.
Back in the days when high-wheeled Paoifics hauled passengers
over the 156-mile route, heavy twelve-wheel oars in dark green
livery made up the consist. Originating in the early thirties, the
train, first known as the International Limited, left Vanoouver in
the morning and consisted of a four to six-car-string ended by an
open-platform observation. The first daily northbound train reach­
ed Vancouver in the early afternoon, made up of ten cars or more,
often including a fruit-laden reefer during the summer months.
This was the Oanadian, which headed south again later in the after­
noon. Finally, a short, high-speed train arrived in the late even­
ing, called the American. In addition, a mail train operated daily
using express cars and one ooach. This situation worked oontinu­
ously, with slight variations, until January 1948, when lengthy E-7
uni ts took over the power assignment and the trains underwent a name
change: Fuget Sounders. In 1950, whole new train sets were intro­
duced, complete with lightweight multi-coloured cars, rounded-end
observations, folding steps –in short, the latest and best that
Pullman had to offer and, the Internationals as such were born.
The picture remained essentially unchanged until 1957 and the dis­
appearance of the big E units in favour of F units. In 1960, loss
of the mail contract to highway vehicles forced a cutback in ser­
vice from three times a day each way to twice. In the summer of
1961, the third tr1p was put back on Friday and Sunday and was known
as the Weekender. This was discontinued with the change of
time in the fall and even though the Oentury 21 fair brought in­
creased traffic the following summer, frequency remained attlfo
trips each way per day. Fourteen-car trains were common during
that period.
A trio of Alco cabs exits Vancouver through the 1.110 cut
with the Afternoon International in tow.
(Peter Cox)
Today, the Internationals consist of four car train sets (ex­
press, two coaches, and observation) powered by a single Geep.
Train 357, the Morning International, leaves Vancouver ON station
(the GN station was abandoned April 9, 1962) at 7:45 AM.cl1mbs the
cut and passes through sections of Burnaby visible only from the
track, arriving at New Westminster at 8:05. After crossing the
long Fraser River bridge (speed limit 8) she turns South along a
curving wooden trestle and travels 21 miles to the next stop, along
the beach at White Rock. Then on to Blaine (3 miles) where the
border is crossed. From here to Bellingham, about 10 miles of
tangent track is encountered and the top speed of 79 MPH is attain­
ed. Between Bellingham and Mount Vernon (27 miles) the track fol­
lows the coastline, employing a number of trestles, fills and tun­
nels. After this and until Delta Jct., farm land, primarily for
dairy usage, is traversed while semaphores drop majestically as the
train whizzes past them. Third Subdivision is left behind and dur­
ing the next 3.5 miles a variety of intricate track manoeuvring
occurs, involving use of the Fourth Sub, the Northern Pacific Rail­
way, and finally the Second Sub, the latter being the high iron.
Within a mile,Everett station is reached, and the Northbound Inter­
national and Eastbound Empire Builder are met. Now its double
track for the remaining 30 miles of the trip and a mile-long tunnel
under the city before emerging into downtown Seattle and King Street
station at 11:55 AM. The Noon International (No. 359) repeats this
performance daily leaving Vancouver at 12:45 PM and arriving Seattle
at 4:35 PM. Northbound trains 358 and 360 operate on similar sched­
ules. Average speed of all these trains is 41 MPH including stops,
and round trip fare is $7.20.
I .
-Page 151 –
Traffic through the St.Gottard
Tunnel in Switzerland has increased
from 65 trains per day in 1945, to
an average of 197 trains daily in
1960. Consideration is now being
given to the construction of a new
28 mile long parallel tunnel to re­
lieve the congestion on the present
railway. Much of fue recent traffic
growth is due to the special auto­
mobile conveying trains, which op­
erate through the tunnel, sometimes
carrying over 4,000 road vehicles
per day. These trains are made up
of cars onto which pnvate motorcars
can be driven directly –relieving
drivers of the difficult highway
journey over the St.Gottard Pass.
Barry A. Biglow, visiting the C. N.s Stratford Shops during the
middle weeks of June,1963, recorded a scene that can be duplicated
in few places in the world today. The National Systems #6218,
undergoing a complete overhaul, is shown partially dismantled in
the main erecting shop at Stratford, Ontario. The steam 1000-
motive is being restored by the railway to operating condition far
special commemmorative occasions.
Page 152 Canadian Rail
Despite the fact of complete dieselization of rail services
for about three years, Canadian Pacific Railway Company, on June 1
of this year, still possessed more than one hundred steam locomo­
tives, most awaiting scrapping. A very few of those remaining &e
being held for possible preservation, such as 490, 1201, 2816, 310~
The 105 locomotives still intact on June 1, 1963, represented
a decrease of 26 units from the total remaining at the end of 1962;
thirteen of these locomotives were sold or transferred for histor­
ical preservation, While the remaining thirteen were scrapped.
1963 disposals for the first five months are as follows:
Scrapped: D-10 4-6-0 No. 926 G-3
4-6-2 Nos.2352, 23.58, 2363, 244.5. H-1
4-8-4 No. 2831 N-2
2-8-0 Nos.3663, 3676
P-1 2-8-2 Nos.5205, .5211, 5263
P-2 2-8-2 Nos • .5387, .5431.
Preserved: In March, 1963, to Ontario Northland Railway, for
eventual inclusion in railway museum projected by
the Province of Ontario.
Nos. 2839, .5361.
In March, 1963, to Canadian Railroad Historical
Association for Canadian Rail Transportation Museum. Nos.
29, 492, 999, 2231, 2341, 28.50,
2928, 3388, .5468, .593.5, 6271.
Steam locomotives still in existence on June 1st, 1963, are
as follows:
4-6-0 D-4:
4-6-2 G-2: G-3:
4-6-4 H-1:
4-8-4 K-1:
2-8-0 N-2:
2-8-2 P-1:
2-10-0 R-3:
0-8-0 V-3:
424, 842,
109.5 •
2634. 2314, 2372, 2432, 2706.
1211, 1238, 1279, 1297,
2816, 3100, 3611,
.5221, .5372, .5434, .5444, .5760, 690.5, 6921, 6965.
894, 972,
2317, 2343, 2384, 2389, 2433, 2446,
1201, 1202,
1212, 1213,
1243, 1246,
1286, 1287,
2827, 2829, 3101. 36.50, 36.51, .5128, .5131,
30, .5241, .5392,
.543.5, .5436, .5446,
.5762. 6906. 6937, 6949. 2
975, 988, 1088,
1 unit
2344, 2360, 2367, 2392, 2409, 2429, 2449, 24.51, 24.54.
18 units
1 unit
1207, 1209, 1210,
1214, 1227, 1234,
1248, 1270, 1278,
1290, 1293, 1296,
26 units
28.51, 28.58, 2860 6 units
2 units
3677, 3689, 3716. 6
.5134, .5174, .5210,
.5244 • 10 units
.5408, .5432, .5433, .5439, .5441, .5442, .5457, 5469, .5471.
18 units
2 units
2 units
3 units
1 unit
tot a 1 10.5 units.
The photos ABOVE, courtesy of Kenneth S. MacDonald of Truro, N.S.,
show the old and new at Acadia Coal Cos colliery near Stellarton.
(August 1962). On the left, Acadias No. 42 and 12 await the
scrapyard while on the right is the Companys new diesel No. 43·
The diesei was formerly CN 43 (previously 1543 -originally 7817).
Members and subscribers who use the information in Canadian
Rail to keep up to date on Canadian locomoti~e changes, ha~e in­
formed us that we omitted listing CNR diesel unit changes for the
years 1960 and 1961. We therefore are printing the following list
to enable records to be corrected.
CNR diesel locomotives retired during 1960.
73 –
3028 3030
4583 6517 6608 9090 –
retired June 1960 –scrapped February 1961.
accident at mile 93.7, Hopewell Subdivision, Feb. 18, 1960.
taken off records April 30, 1960.
accident at mile 32, Caramat Subdivision, February 13,1960.
taken off records April 30, 1960.
accident at McCall, Nechako Subdivision, September 1959.
taken off records April 30, 1960.
CNR diesel locomotives retired during 1961.
9051} accident at Canora, Saskatchewan, October 7th, 1961.
9068 taken off records December 28, 1961.
Manitoba Paper Company of Pine Falls, Manitoba, recently purchased
a 660 horsepower diesel electric switcher from the Canadian Nati­
onal Railways. The unit, formerly CN 8454, was shipped from Mon­
treal to Pine Falls during the latter part of April.
Mattagami Lake Mines have acquired a small Genera.l Electric built
switcher from Hydro-Quebec. This locomotive, G.E. No.29948, was
shipped from Beauharnois to the northern Quebec mine during May.
Grand Trunk
Western 78, formerly 7800, was sold March 29th,1963 to
Pioneer Equipment Co., Detroit, Mich. The unit, which was the
first mass-produced diesel acquired by the Canadian National Sys­
tem, was deliTered to the new owners on April 23, 1963. No.7800 and 7801
were 600 HP switchers purchased by the GTW from Electro­
motiTe Corporation in 1938.
4-6-2 PACIfiC TYPE
G 1
f..——————-75·.~·…..,–I»l 2-8-0 CQiJSOL I DAT I ON TY PE
l! 3
U 3 B
This month, we reproduce diagrams of C.P. class G-l and M-3 loco­
motives. These are the diagrams for Canadian Pacific engines,
numbers 2231 and 3358, which were the second and third C.P. steam
locomotives to reach the Canadian Rail Trans~ortation Museum at
In our mail we have recently received copies of the first few
issues of The Rattler, published by the Edmonton Branch of the
C.R.H.A. The monthly news reports, printed by ditto hectograph,
(as was the Montreal News Report in 1949 and 1950), contain a number
of interesting items, a few of which we have reproduced,
with credit, in this issue of Canadian Rail.
We extend congratulations and good wishes to the authors and
publishers of The Rattlerll.
Canadian Rail
Page 155
By K. R. Thomas,
C. P.R. Steam on the
Montreal Lakeshore.
with photos by the author.
The Canadian Pacifics Lakeshore commuter service recently
gained wide recognition as one of the last regularly operated steam
passenger runs in North America. This is only fitting, however,
because the service is also one of the oldest. It is interesting
to note that as long ago as 1893, the railway built a 4-6-4 tank
locomotive especially for this run.
For many years, the service was handled predominantly by G-2
class Pacific locomotives (2500-2600 series). Up until 1953, a
five or six-car commuter train composed of wooden, B-wheel coaches
and hauled by a G-2 was an everyday sight on the Lakeshore. These
coaches were phased out during that year upon the Introduction of
the BOO series lightweight, all-metal commuter coaches built espec­
ially for that service by Canadian Car and Foundry.
in 1954 the G-2s, already supplemented by G-5
Pacific looomotives,(120l, the last locomotive built by the C.P.R.,
saw considerable service on this run during 1954-5) were gradually
phased out to make way for the heavier and more modern G-3 Pacifics
of the 2300 and 2400 series. There seems to have been two reasons
for this: firstly, the G-3s had themselves been displaoed from
their aocustomed aSSignments by dieselization, and, seoondly, the
commuter trains were becoming increasingly longer thus over-taxing
the comparatively light G-2s. A G-3 was capable of handling a
ten-car commuter train with ease. Interestingly enough, one of the
first G-3s to be used on this run was No. 2472, the most recent of
the series (M.L.W. 1948).
By mid-1956, theG-<2 s were making only infrequent appearanoes
and the by now commonplace G-3s were being occaSionally supple­
mented by H-l Class 4-6-4s of the 2800 series. The following year
enthusiasts were treated to a comparative novelty on the Lakeshore:
No. 2328, one of the earlier, non-streamlined G-3s.
By 1958, the commuter service was being handled almost ex­
clusively by G-3 4-6-2s and H-l 4-6-4s, supplemented in some
cases by G-5 Pacifics. Even the G-5s disappeared on this service
during the course of the year.
The years 1959 and 1960 belonsed exclusively to the 2400 ser­
ies Pacifics (G-3) and 2BOO series (H-l) Hudsons. The 2400s, as
during the previous years, were the backbone of the operation, and
still outnumbered the Hudsons. By 1960, however, it was painfully
obvious that the days of all CPR steam locomotives remaining in
service were numbered.
During late March and early April, the service was suddenly
dieselized, this lasting for a period of some three weeks, and en­
thUSiasts held their breaths. However, during the second half of
April and early May, steam returned for one last encore. Inter­
estingly enough, of the five locomotives invol~ed, four were Hud­
sons, this being the first time that the 4-6-4s had outnumbered
the Pacifies. During May, the service was again dieselized, per­
manently this time, and the few remaining CPR runs still in steam
followed during the next two months.

The first major setback in the planning and construction of the
City of Montreals underground rapid transit system came on June 20,
1963, when officers of the city administration, presiding at the op­
ening of tenders for construction of rolling stock, found the bids
to be far in excess of budgeted amounts. In addition only two bids
were submitted, one by Montreal Locomotive Works for $40,241,624 and
the second by Canadian Vickers Limited for $41,194,434, in spite of
the fact that approximately two dozen builders in various parts of
the world had indicated interest in the contract by obtaining sets
of specifications.
Originally, in 1961, the City Council had appropriated the sum
of $21,945,000 for rolling stock, which covered the design, const­
ruction and delivery of 279 cars, certain spare parts, and five yard
locomotives for moving rolling stock at the depot, and operating
work trains. The tenders received on June 20 were thus for amounts
almost double the budgeted price. In another section of the tender
Vickers quoted $8,146,005 and Montreal Locomotive Works $8,391,118
for the supply of 63 additional subway cars, provided they are or­
dered by the City within a year after signing of the initial cont­
ract. This additional equipment would be utilized should a decision
be made to proceed with extensions to the basic rapid transit system
which is well under way. In the various tenders, unit price thus
has an approximate range between $130,000 and $140,000.
By mid-July, no action had been taken to award thewnder, and
there were unofficial indications that the specifications could be
modified and new tenders called. Though the city authorities have
made no comment, it was rumoured that the high costs were attribut­
able in part to the complicated dual (rubber-tyres and flanged steel
wheels) running gear, and in part to mechanical and electrical oom­
plexity, Which the city administration has insisted upon. Any con­
cessions to costs would likely come within the latter field, as the
Partial list of steam locomotives employed on Lakeshore
Commuter nun, 1955-1960.
G-l 4-6-2 G-2 4-6-2 G-3 4-6-2 G-5 4-6-2
2200 2508 2328 2426
1201 1264
2527 2393 2459
1253 1274
2539 2403 2461
2541 2408 2471
2581 2412 2472
H-l 4-6-4
1: G-3 Paoifios 2412 and 2426 pose at the waterspout at Vaudreui1
in Maroh, 1959.
2: H-1b 2811 starts a 100a1 out of Valois on a Sunday evening in
May. 1960.
3: G-2r 2527 pauses at Valois with a mid-morning 100a1 Just after
Christmas in 1954.
Pags 158 Canadian Rail
rUbber-tyred feature is one of Mayor Jean Drapeaus most oherished
projects, adopted against the advice of recognized North American tr­
ansit experts.
One week before the tenders were opened, the City unveiled a
full-size replica of a Montreal subway car, constructed principally
of wood in the MTC Youville Shops. The mock-up is designed to seat
forty passengers, but is able to accommodate a total ofl60 persons
seated and standing. The model is of a motor-car, and shows a full­
width control cab at one end, with a one-piece windshield the en­
tire width of the car. At the opposite end is a train door, commu­
nicating with the other two cars in the three-car set.
The fifth contract on the north-south line, contract 2-A-,5, was
let on May 30th to Henry J. Kaiser (Canada) Limited. It is for
$3,19,5,706, and covers the 2,417-foot section of cut-and-cover under
Berri Street, from a point north of Cherrier to a point south of
Ontario Street. Berri Street has since been closed to traffic to
enable this work to get under way. The connection from Cremazie
Boulevard into Youville Shops is now well under way: this is the
point where the line comes to the surface, and a single-traok ramp
is now practically completed. A start will be made shortly on the
dismantling of Youville Shops, from which the remaining remnants of
Montreals once-vast streetcar roster have been evacuated, including
seventeen PCC cars, and some work equipment.
Led by Mayor Drapeau and other civic officials, a special insp­
ection party visited the workings at different points on June 27, to
find that a total of nearly 14,000 feet of the tunnel had been ex­
cavated since a start was made on May 23rd, 1962. This included
6,000 feet of the 6,413 feet on the first section under Berri Street
between Cremazie Blvd. and Jean Talon Street; 4,000 of a total of
,5,610 feet under de St. Vallier Street, between Jean Talon and Rose­
mont Boulevard; ,500 feet of the St. Joseph-Laurier subway station,
which was cut out of solid rock to a width of 47 feet; and 3,000 out
of a total of 8,142 feet under Berri Street in the region of Roy St.
At this location is the first finished section of the line, complet­
ely lined with concrete for a distance of 100 feet.
On July 9th, the administration asked council to ratify a con­
tract with Canadian Pacific Railway Company, enabling soil tests to
be made under the CPR line between Windsor Station and Atwater Ave­
nue. This seems to indicate that the basic Line No.2, extending
from Cremazie Boulevard to Craig Terminus, and for which extensions
have already been proposed at either end, may be in prospect for a
FURTHER extension, which would enable the southwest section of the
City to be served eventually. Decision has already been made to
extend Line No. 2 immediately from Craig Terminus to Windsor Station
at the south end; and a north end extension from Cremazie to Henri­
Bourassa is at least under consideration. A branch, linking this
line with the South Shore, and serving the Worlds Fair site, is
also in the planning sta:se. Meanwhile, there have been no further
developments in the original bid to convert the Canadian National
Mount Royal Tunnel into a conventional rail rapid transit system as
Line No.3, but civic officials have indicated that the matter is
still under discussion.
The above photograph,–taken on the occasion of the formal pre­
sentation of the M.T.C. Historical Collection to the C. R. H. A., shows
BriGadier Guy Gauvreau, Chairman of the Montreal Transpor­
tation Commission, flanked by Dr. R. V. Nicholls, President, and
M.-Charles Viau, Vice-President, C.R.ll.A. Others in the photo
are Messrs. Leonard Seton, Richard M. Binns, Orner S.A.Lavallee &
C. Kirouac.
A feature article on the M.T.C. Historical Collection, by Mr.
R.M.Binns, and the story of the movement of the vehicles fromthe
Youville Shops to Delson, by Mr. O.S.Lavallee, will be included
in next months issue of Canadian Rail.
The following donations to the Museum Fund are gratefully
Fr8nk G. Tatnall
Lyle McCoy
G. A. Smith
J. A. Boulanger
Pierre Ranger
A. O. ;v!arel
G. Baldwin
C. B. Clark
L. P. Sans Cartier
Ernes t i,!odler
Mrs. Herbert V. Lacey
Previously acknowledged
$ 5.00
$ 216.00 1010
$ 7.5,962.72
GRAND TOTAL to end of June $ 76,178.72 1010
This sum does not include $1165.00 donated to the
WADDON Restoration Fund, nor $200.00 donated by
the Montreal Convention Committee of the National
t,10del Railroad Association, Inc. to assist in the
creation of a model-railroad layout at the Museum.
Page 160 Canadian Rail
A Show 01 Power
In the beginning of May, coincident with taking delivery of
three new diesel-electric locomotive units, Canadian Pacific dis­
played a show of steam and diesel locomotives at Windsor Station,
Montreal, in which three units from the Associations collection
took part.
Entitled A Show of Power, the exhibit was situated on tracks
ten and eleven at iHndsor Station, and was open to the general pub­
lic from 9 AN to 9 PM on five consecutive days, Wednesday, May 1st,
to Sunday, May 5th. Originally, the display Vas intended to ter­
minate on Saturday evening, May 4th, but it was extended fo~ an
additional day by popular demand. Altogether, some 33,000 visit­
ors were tabulated through the display, but an undetermined addit­
ional number gained admittance by way of stairways and platforms,
so that it is probably safe to say that 35,000 persons attended.
Stars of the show were new General Motors GP-30 2250-h.p.
units 8200 and 8201, and new Montreal Locomotive Works-G.E. unit
No. 8300, a 2400-h.p. road switcher of new design, lined up on
track ten. Flanking them on track eleven were three steam loco­
motives, A-l-e 4-4-0 No. 29, P-2-k 2-8-2 No. 5468 and T-l-c 2-10-4
No. 5935, all destined for the Canadian Rail Transportation Museum
at Delson, but specially repainted by Canadian Pacific for the dis­
play. Nos. 5468 and 5935 had just arrived, two weeks before, from
storage at Calgary, Alta., where they had been held since removal
from service several years ago. No. 29 had been held at Angus Shops
since November 6, 1960, when it pulled the last steam-hauled
passenger train on the Canadian Pacific system.
The seventh exhibit was M-235, a 1939 Buick rail inspection
car, which had been retired and presented to our museum just a week
prior to the exhibition.
Two interesting events occurred during the course of the show,
the first on May 1st when, early in the afternoon, Mr. N.R. Crump, Chairman and
President of Canadian Pacific Railway, led a group of
directors and shareholders from the Annual Meeting of Shareholders
which had been held in the Station that day, down to visit the ex­
hibit; one of the Directors, Col. R.S. McLaughlin, posed for photo­
graphs beside the Buick automobile, in token of his familys conn­
ection with the manufacturer.
On the following day, May 2nd, an official presentation of the
three locomotives (plus eight others not present) took place, at
which the eleven units were transferred to the Canadian Rail Trans­
portation Nuseum. Mr. Crump presented a chrome-plated enginemans
oilcan to Dr. Nicholls, our own President, in token of the gift,
after which the group retired to the official car ASSINIBOINE to be
guests of Canadian Pacific Vice-President R.E. Emerson for an ex­
cellent lunch. In addition to Messrs. Crump, Emerson and Nicholls,
others in attendance included, for the C.R.H.A., Donald Angus, Hon­
orary President; Charles Viau, Vice-President; and Steve Vialbridge,
Treasurer. Other Canadian Pacific officers included Messrs. 11.D.
Dickie, Chief of Motive Power and Rolling Stockj and D.B. Wallace,
Manager, Public Relations and Advertising Department.
~ … VVltot JIOWER
. ·188.7~96a·
A number of the Associations personnel assisted in showing
the public through the exhibit, whose high point included a visit
into the cab of 593~affording an opportunity to sit at the controls
of the largest and heaviest steam locomotive in the Commonwealth.
the conclusion of the display, the locomotives were releas­
ed, the diesels to continue test operation on piggyback and fast
freight trains, the steam locomotives to go to Angus Shops until
facilities at Delson develop sufficiently to accommodate them under
Eleven M.T.C. trams and service units were loaded recently for
shipment from Montreal to Seashore Electric and Brantford museums. The
cars were brought from the MTCs Youville Shops to the CNR at
Ahuntsic by Brocklesby Transport, and shipped to the U.S.A. on
CN flat cars. Numbers of the units that made the 300-odd-mile
Journey are passenger cars 957, 1403, 1972, 2001, 2052, and 2653;
brine car 1176; instruction car 1177; locomotive 5002; crane W3,
and rotary plough 2. (DLatour)
Page 162 Canadian Rail
Notes and News
by W. L. Pharoah
• Canadian Pacific has withdrawn from operation of the 560-room Hotel
Vancouver. A CPR spokesman declined to give any reason for the
move. The hotel has been operRted jointly by CP and CN since it
opened in 1939. Coincident with the termination of the Joint op­
eration, CN is proceeding as quickly as possible with a major plan
for modernization and rehabilitation of the hotel.
• Canmore Mines No.4 (ex CPR 0-6-0) has been removed from regular
service and a CP diesel has taken over the job of moving coal cars
at the mine situated at Canmore, Alta. (The Rattler)
• Greyhound Lines of Canada, Ltd., has purchased the Canadian National
Transportation Limited bus route between Port Arthur and Longlac,
Ontario. No changes in service are planned immediately.
• CN has ordered 55 all-steel tri-level automobile transporters from
National Steel Car Corporation. This is the second order CN has
placed for the triple-deck cars since they were introduced in April
of last year. CP recently placed an order for 75 of the cars,
bringing that company1s fleet to 200.
• A project is underway in the United States to obtain a British
Railways steam locomotive for operation in excursion service on U.S.
Railways. The group, of which Mr. Edgar T. Mead of 1158 Fifth
Avenue, New York 29, N.Y., is Secretaryft has had ex-Southern Rail­
way Schools Class 4-4-0 30926 Reptonl put aside at Fratton
Shed, Southern Region. It is now seeking ways and means of pur­
chasing the locomotive and bringing it to the United States. If
this project materializes, it will be the second standard-gauge
British Railways locomotive to be brought to North America for
preservation, the first being the restored London, Brighton & South
Coast Railway Terrier 0-6-OT No. 54, Waddon II, which our Assoc­
iation has obtained and which, inCidentally, is due to arrive in
MOntreal September 2, on board a Cunard Lines vessel. (O.SL.)
• In addition to the locomotives preserved in Britain by the British
Transport Commission (as reported in July, 1961), a number of
other British steam engines are being maintained in operating con­
dition by interested societies and individuals. Word has been
received that the Gresley A3 PacifiC IIFlying Scotsman
purchased by Mr. Alan Pegler, has now been restored to its former
LNER condition and on April 20, hauled 350 members of the Festiniog
Railway SOCiety from London to Portmadoc, North Wales, Special
permission wao obtained to run the locomotive, No. 4472, on the
Bri tish Railways. Another former LNER engine The Great Marquess II
has been bought by Viscount Garnock, Chairman of the Middleton
Railway, for use on his privately-owned line and for occasional
excursions. This engine, No. 3442, has also been refurbished with
its former LNER apple green livery. Viscount Garnock is the head
of the Crossley firm of carpet manufacturers who recently establish­
ed a branch plant at Truro, Nova Scotia.
* Otherwise in Britain, the prototype Deltic diesel-electric loco­
motive has been presented to the Science Museum, London, by the
builders, English Electric Co. Ltd. This locomotive, one of the
first main line diesels to operate on British Railways, was trans­
ferred to the Science Museum on April 28.
* Saskatchewan wants the Federal Government to make an overall study
of the impact of railway branch line abandonment on railway users
and the economy generally. The Saskatchewan Government has sub­
mitted a brief to Transport Minister McIlraith and the Federal
Cabinet, saying such a study should assess the additional sooial
and eoonomio costs involved as well as the benefits the railways
themselves may obtain.
* Canadian Pacifio has placed a $4 million order with Eastern Car
Company at Trenton, Nova Scotia, for three hundred 40-foot insulat­
ed steel boxcars. Delivery of the oars will commenoe in mid-octob­
er at the rate of ten to twelve cars per day. This order will bring
to a t~tal of 1400 units which CP possesses of this versatile in­
sulated car which is popular with shippers. (OSL)
* The Board of Transport Commissioners has heard a petition from CN
to discontinue its passenger service between Quebeo City and Rioh­mond. The
railway said it had done its best to re-sohedule tra1ns
for oustomer service and had modernized the trains used (a Budd
RDC equipped with Rolls Royoe engines) but traffio did not increase
beyond a daily average of eight people.
* Restoration work on car No.1 of the Edmonton Street Ra11way is now
in progress, according to reports from the Alberta capital. Trucks
have been cleaned and carpentry work on the car body is progressing
satisfactorily. (The Rattler)
* The British Oolumbia Government intends to extend the provincially­
owned Pacific Great Eastern Railway from Summit Lake near Prince
George to Fort St. James, about 100 miles to the northwest. The
extension will follow the proposed route of the now defunct Pacific
Northern Railway, a project of the late Swedish promoter, Axel
Wenner-Gren. Completion is expected by 1965.
* Early in July, Canad1an Paoific Ra11way placed an order for twelve
2500-h.p. diesel-electric road switcher units of type GP-35, with
General Motors Diesel Limited at London. The locomotives, of the
same general appearance as the two GP-30 type units recently deliv­
ered and displayed to the public in Windsor Station, will be more
powerful by 250 horsepower. De11very is expected in April and May,
1964, when the locomotives w111 be introduced to fast freight and
piggyback services. (OSL)
-Doug Wright, Montreal Star
The Open Road
Esta6Iis{J 1932 • :Box 22 . Statioll:B J.t/olltreal 2 Qu,6« • 8ncorporateJ 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committee, Canadian Railroad
Historical Association. SUbscription; $ 2.50 annually.
Anthony Clegg.
William. Pharoah.
John W. Saunders.
Jeffrey Forrest.
Robert Half yard.
Omer Lavallee.
Frt?derick F. Angus.
Peter Murphy.
At kwat 5 1feeklo bc(olfl you
mo·e, send UI R leller, a enrd.
or II pOII.oUlc(l chan,o-of.
.ddrcs_ (orq lellluc UI bOlb your
OLD IIDd 70ur .NEW adflre..e..
OTTAWA VALLEY: Kenneth F. Chivers. Apartment 3.67 Somerset Street West. Ottawa. Onto
PACIFIC COAST: Peter Cox. 2936 West 28th Avenue. Vancouver 8. B.C.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN: William T. Sharp. Apartment 11. 11544 St. Albert Trail. Edmonton. Alta.
SOUTHERN ONTARIO: William D. McKeown. Apartment 201, 859 Kennedy Rd .. Scarborough. Onto
ALGOMA: William F. Cooksley. 594 McDonald Avenue. Sault Ste. Marie. Ont.
Copyright 1963 by CRRA

Demande en ligne