One hundred years ago, in 1863, Timothy Hackworths steam loco
motive Sans Pareil, built for the Rainhill Trials of 1829, was
restored and placed in the Science MUseum, London, England.
Now, a century later, members of the Canadian Railroad Historical
Association are busy rehabilitating Canadian rolling stock for pre
servation in Canadas rail transport museum at Delson, Que. For
the past few years, observant passengers approaching Montreal on
the CPRs Montreal-St. John line have been surprised to see the
grounds and first building taking shape; now they are being in
trigued bythe variety of rolling stock whioh is finding its final
home at the Assooiations Canadian Rail Transportation Museum.
dedioated as its name implies, to the preservation
of items ooncerned with the history of Canadian railway transpor
tation, is being oonstruoted in the Town of Delson, County of la
prairie, near Montreal. The site is appropriate. Not only is it
looated within the greater metropolitan area of Canadas largest
city, but it is also only four miles from the western terminus of
Canadas first public railway, the Champlain and Saint Lawrenoe
Rail Road, opened in 1836. The site is adjacent to the main line
(Adirondaok Subdivision) of the Canadian Paoific Railway, wi thin a
mile of the Canadian National Railways and the Delaware & Hudson
Railroad interchange, and close to one of the main highway routes
into Montreal from the south and east. Few more favourable sites
for suoh a museum, bearing in mind its ideals and reqUirements,
could be found in all of Canada, and the Museum and its parent
body, the Canadian Railroad Historical ASSOCiation, are indebted
to the Canada Creosoting Division of Domtar Chemicals Limited for
providing the initial ten-aore site in 1961.
Canadian Rail Transportation Museum is a project of the
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. It is administered by a Committee
of the Historical ASSOCiation, appointed by the Direct
ors. Currently, the President of the Association is also Chairman
of the Museum Committee.
Canadian Rai 1
The Canadian Railroad Historical Association
The Canadian Railroad Historical Association was founded in
March 1932, as a society dedicated to historical research into the
railways of Canada. It was chartered in August 1941, as a non-
profit corporation. At the beginning, much of its membership was
derived from the Antiquarian & Numismatic Society of Montreal, and
meetings were held in the famed Chateau de Ramezay. One of the
principal projects of the CRHA in its earliest years was the organ
izing of observances to mark the centenary of Canadian Railways in
1936. It is noteworthy that the Association itself was founded ex
actly one-hundred years after the granting of the charter for
Canadas first public railway.
During the war, Association activities were understandably
curtailed, but following the conclusion of hostilities in 1945,
former activities were resumed and expanded. Prior to 1941, the
Association had published a quarterly Bulletin for the information
of members. Publication on a monthly basis was resumed in October
1949, and the periodical, now developed into Canadian Rail, is
approaching its one hundred and fiftieth issue.
A first step was taken towards the then-distant goal of a
railway museum in 1950, when the Association, after much deliber
ation, accepted a historic electric street-railway car from the
Montreal Tramways Company for preservation and restoration to its
original condition of the eighteen-nineties. This car, No. 274,
remained for several years a symbolic exhibit. The passage of time
and the initiation of great technological changes by the railways
and transit systems during the late 1950s, however, propelled the
Association into the preservation of representative rolling stock
on a larger scale. Two more eleotric cars were added to the col
lection in 1956, and the following year the first steam locomotive
was acquired. By the end of 1962, the collection had expanded to
include more than fifty pieces of motive power and rolling stock,
either in the possession of the Assooiation or firmly promised.
Another twenty pieces were in view at that time. Of the owned
equipment, no less than thirty units are steam locomotives, a type
of motive power whose complete demise on the railways of Canada has
been witnessed in the last decade.
To supplement these large exhibits, the Association possesses
innumerable articles linking it to the early years of ra11ways in
British America. Oldest items are two pairs of wheels from a col
liery chaldron dating back to the opening of the Albion Colliery
railway at New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, in the 1830s. From a later
period, the museum will exhibit signals, lanterns, locomotive
builders and number plates, bells, whistles, rail sections and
other portable items. This section of the museum will be supple
mented by collections of photographs, manuscripts and other printed
material. The library collection has benefitted particularly
through the recent acquisition of tracings and photographs from two
of Canadas largest railway-equipment builders.
The Canadian Rail Transportation Museum
The Museum itself was officially founded in 1958. Three years
later, after considering a number of sites in the greater Montreal
locality, the Canadian Railroad Historical Association accepted
a generous offer of land made by the Canada Creosoting Company,
Limited. The documents transferring the property, on long-term
lease, to the Association were formally signed on July 21, 1961,
the exact one-hundred-and-twenty-fifth anniversary of the opening
of our first public railway.
Construction work got underway in the autumn of 1961, with the
erection of the steel frame for an 80 by 165 foot building. The
property was also completely enclosed by a seven-foot-high chain
link industrial fence. During the 1962 season, the building was
sheathed in aluminum and a decision made to double it in size to a
finished exhibits building, 330 feet long and four railway-track
bays wide, This trainshed, now rapidly nearing completion, will
afford one-quarter-mile of railway track under cover on which the
various exhibits will be displayed. The construction of two more
similar buildings is envisioned within the next few years.
A most important step was taken in July 1962, when a railway
spur was constructed lin~ng the museum with the Adirondack Subdiv
ision of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The proximity of the museum
to the railway tracks of the CPR, and, by interchange, to the Can
adian National Railways and the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, will
ihsure unimpeded access to and from the museum for rail equipment.
Thus, in the future, the museum will be able to loan locomotives
and/or cars to other localities fram time to time for specific his
torical or technical exhibitions or observances. Eventually, it is
also hoped to provide full scale railway operation on a private
railway track in the general area of the museum, F~r the time
being, however (and relying on the experience of other such pro
jects elsewhere), the museums policy is committed initially to the
Canadian Rail Page 127
provision of covered space in buildings for its equipment before
consideration can be given to large-scale train operation. Canadas
winters are too severe and uncompromising to permit prolonged ex
posure of engines and cars to the elements, hence the desire to
house everything in buildings during the cold winter months.
Another important stage in the development of the CRTM was
reached on November 24th, 1962, when, after several months of
ground preparation and track-laying by Museum Committee workers,
steam locomotive No. 1112, formerly of the Quebec, North Shore and
Labrador Railway, became the first item of the collection to be
moved into the new building.
A modern Headquarters and Administration building,
which will house the Association and Museum offices,
meeting rooms, library and archives, is part of the
long range plan.
The Rolling Stock Collection
Considering that the preservation of historic locomotives and
cars had been under way in Canada only in the most casual way prior
to the mid-1950s, the Canadian Rail Transport Museum has been most
fortunate in securing a well-rounded and representative collection
of items ranging back, in the case of locomotives, to 1886, and in
the case of railway cars, to 1869. The extreme rarity of equipment
prior to 1870 is a result of the government f,0liCy of encouraging
railways to be bu11t to the broad gauge of 56 prior to that time.
This resulted in the premature disappearance of such equipment when
standardization took place in the decade between 1870 and 1880. As
a long-range project, however, the Association envisions the con
struction of full-scale replicas of pre-1870 locomotives and cars,
after the present pressing needs have been completely satisfied.
The thirty steam locomotives presently possessed by the museum
are a fine and representative collection. The dean of the Canad
ian steam locomotives is Canadian Pacifics 4-4-0 10COllotive No.
144, Wlli ch was builtin Montreal in 1886. There is one older loco
mo ti ve, an 0-6-0 tank fro:a the former London, Brighton and South
Coast Hailway, which was built in 1875, and is a gift of British
Railw~ys. Its place in our collection will be to demonstrate the
technical differeuces between North American and British engines
of the classical period, of which it is an outstanding example.
The British locomotive forms the nucleus of a sm3ll separate inter
national collection of railway equipment from outside Canada, to
show parallel developments in other parts of the world.
An extremely dramatic exhibit will feature Canadian National
An extremely dramatic exhibit will feature Canadian National
Railways 2-10-2, engine 4100, and Canadian Pacific Railway 2-10-4
engine 5935, respectively the most powerful and the largest-and
heaviest steam locomotives in the Commonwealth. These and other
large steam engines such as CPRs 2850 and CNs 6153, will contrast
interestingly with the smaller and older exhibits, whose service,
though admittedly less ostentatious, was just as essential to the
fabric of Canadas rail network.
Turning to the collection of electric and street-railway e
quipment, we must note that once again the Museum was most fortun
ate, and just in the nick of time. The transit items in the Assoc
iations possession span the entire street railway era in Canadas
largest city, from Montreal Street Railways first electric car,
the Rocket, to the last word in Canadas trams, the P.C.C. car.
The priceless collection preserved by the Montreal Transportation
Commission during the last eight or ten years of electric car oper
ation forms the nucleus around which the transit exhibits have been
assembled, but a wide geographical representation is assured by the
acquisition of typical exhibits from Saint John, N.B., ~uebec City,
Toronto, and Southwestern Ontario. The various types of equipment
operated over the years have also been well represented, from a
lightweight single-truck open-bench tram to a pair of all-steel
pantagraph-equipped electric train units from the London and Port
Stanley interurban line.
Page 130 Canadian Rail
ELECTRIC RAlLWAY EQUlPMENT
No. Company Year Builder
NB Power Co 1906
M&SC Ry 1912
M. T.C. 1919
M&SC Ry 1917
Montreal St. Ry. SE DT Observation Car
Ottawa Car MIg.Co. DE ST Closed Psgr. Car
Montreal St. Ry DT DE Locomotive
Patterson &. Corbin DE ST Open Psgr. Car
Jewett Car Co. DE DT Interurban Car
Ottawa Car Mfg.
Ottawa Car MIg.
J .G.Brill Co.
DE ST Sweeper
DE ST Closed Psgr. Car
DE DT Suburban Psgr. Car
DE ST Birney Safety Car
SE ST Closed Psgr. Car
SE ST Closed Psgr. Cilr
SE DT lnterurban Car
SE ST Royal Mail Car
SE DT Interurban Car
SE DT Closed Psgr. Car
Ottawa Car MIg.
Montreal TramwaysSE DT Suburban Psgr. Car
Ottawa Car Mfg. SE DT Closed Psgr. Car
Can.Car &. Fdy.
Montreal St. R Y Flat Car Tr ailer
Can.Car &. Fdy. SE DT Motor Flat Car
Montreal TramwaysSE DT Tool Car
St.Louis-CC&F SE DT PCC Psgr. Car
Montreal TramwaysDT DE Locomotive
SE DT Crane
SE ST Grinder
NON-RAIL TRANSIT EQUIPMENT
c 1875 N.&. A .C.Lariviere
NOTES FOR EQUIPHi!:NT LISTED ON OPPOSITE PAGE HARJ;ED lITH ASTERISK:
No.2 to be named fIJI. G. Cole; No.9 to be named Sans Pareil; No. 38
to be named Saskatchewan; 110.54 is named Haddon; No. 1165 to be renumbered 1009;
No. 1520 to be renumbered 1223; No. 4190 to be re
:1l.lr.Jbe red 4100.
Cana dian Rail Page 131
R A I L VI A Y E Q u I P 1-1 E N T
Road Company Year Builder Description Year
No. ReEresented Built Acguired
Can.Pac.Ry. c1869 B-B Official Car 1960
2* E.B. Eddy Co. 1925 Montreal Loco. Wks. 0-4-0T Steam Loco. 1957
3 St.Anne Paper 1915
0-4-0T St~am Loco. 1963
4 Syd. &. Lbg.Ry. Rhodes. Curry. B-B Comb.Car 1961
4 Nat.Hbrs.Board 1914 Montreal Loco. Wks. 0-6-0 Steam Loco. 1962
I 5 Maritime Ry. 1895 Pittsburgh Loco.Co. 4-6-0
9* Interprovl 1928 H.K.Porter Co. Bo Gas-Electric Loco. 1963
25 OSC (Dos co) 1900 Baldwin Loco. Wks. 2-4-0 Steam Loco. 1961
29 Can.Pac.Ry. 1887 CPR Delorimier Mtl. 4-4-0
30 Abitibi Ry.& N. 1922 Montreal Loco. Wks. 2-6-0
38 Can.Pac.Ry. 1883 Barney &. Smith C-C Official Car 1958
49 Can.Nat.Rys. 1914 Montreal Loco. Wks. 4-6-4F Steam Loco. 1960
54* L.B.S.C.Ry. 1875 LBCSRy. Brighton 0-6-0T
56 Can.Pac.Ry. 1893 CPR Hochelaga Mtl. C-C Parlour Obs. Car 1960
70 Abitibi Paper 1926 Lima Loco. Wks. 3 -truck Shay SteamLoco 1962
105 QRL&PCo. 1889 Jackson &. Sharp B-B Comb. Car 1960
144 Can.Pac.Ry. 1886 CPR Delorimier Mtl. 4-4-0 Steam Loco. 1959
1915 CPR Angus Mtl. 4-6-0
1912 Montreal Loco. Wks.
1112 QNS&LRy. 1913
1165* Can.Nat.Rys. 1912
1906 Canadian Loco. Co.
1554 Can.Pac.Ry. 1908 CPR Angus Mtl. C-C Passenger Coach 1960
1914 CPR Angus Mtl. 4-6-2 Steam Loco. 1960
2341 1926 Montreal Loco.Wks.
2601 C an.Na t.Rys. 1907
2850 Can.Pac.Ry. 1938
3239 Can.Nat.Rys. 1916 Canadian Loco. Co. 2-8-2 1960
3388 Can.Pac.Ry. 1902 Schenectady Loco.Co.2-8-0
1910 Can.Pac.Angus Mtl. B-B Baggage Car 1960
4190* Can.Nat.Rys. 1924 Canadian Loco. Co. 2-10-2 Steam Loco. 1960
5468 Can.Pac.Ry. 1948 Montreal Loco Wks. 2-8-2
5550 Can.Na t.Rys. 1913
1930 4-6-4 1960
5935 Can.Pac.Ry. 1949
6271 Can.Pac.Ry. 1913 CPR Angus Mtl. 0-6,.0
11204 UTLX 1916 CC&Fdy. Montreal B-B Tank Car 1962
M-235 Can.Pac.Ry. 1940 Buick A-A
Track Inspec.Car 1963
1893 Gd.Trunk Ry. 1912 Buda Gasolene V elociped e 1961
S-I L&PSRy. c1915 Kalamazoo
Gang Car 1962
Page 132 Canadian Rail
A B B REV I A T ION S
M&SC Ry. -N.B.Power Co. –
OSC (Dosco) –
QNS&L Ry. –
QRL&P CO. –
Courtaulds (Canada) Limited.
Interprovincial Railway of Canada (museum). London,
Brighton &; South Coast Railway.
London &; Port Stanley Railway.
Montreal Transportation Commission.
Montreal &; Southern Counties Railway.
New Brunswick Power Company. Old Sydney
Collieries (Dom. Steel &; Coal Co.)
Ottawa Transportation Commission.
Syd. &; LBg. Ry. –
Quebec, North Shore &; Labrador Railway.
Quebec Railway, Light & Power Company. Sydney
& Louisbourg Railway.
Toronto Transit Commission.
U.T .L.X. -Union Tank Line Company (Procor Limited).
~: For steam locomotives, the wheel arrangement is expressed
in the Whyte classification system. For cars, trucks are
expressed in the letter arrangement, as: A-two wheels;
B-four-wheel truck; C-six-wheel truck; etc. B-B: car
with two four-wheel trucks; C-C: car with two six-wheel
trucks, etc. The symbol 0 following a letter indicates
that the truck is electrically powered, as: Bo: car with
~lectric cars are shown as SE: Controls at one end only,
or D~: Controls at both ends. ST: Carried on single
four-wheel truck, or DT: Carried on two four-wheel trucks.
Year Acguired: is the year in which the unit was delivered or
firmly promised to the Associations museum. This date
may not necessarily agree with company records. Three
units were still in use by donors at 1/6/63: Locomotives
30 and 70, and car 4. Other equipment has been promised,
but since acquisition terms have not been clarified, it
is not included in this list.
Track Gauge: All equipment is 48k (1.435 m.l gauge.
Electric Cars: All electric cars utilize 550 v. DC, with over
head collection by trolley pole, except Nos. 10 and 14
which operate on 1500 v. DC with overhead collection by
Brakes: All equipment is equipped vith Vlestinghouse air brakes;
No. 54 also has vacuum automatic air brakes. ~xceptions
with hand brakes only are electric railway cars 6, 8,
82, 274, 350, 423 and 3015.
For the information and government of
members only. Not to be reproduced
for publication in any form in whole or
in part without written permission.
The accompanying photographs , however, can describe the variety
of the preserved railway and tramway equipment more eloquently than
many more paragraphs of text. But, one word of caution —nO,t
all this rolling stock is in first-class shape, and some units must be shopped
and rehabilitated before they oan be put on display.
In some cases, the donors of the equipment have presented the Mus
eum with a well-preserved or handsomely refurbished exhibit, but in
other cases, only the foresight of interested individuals has en
abled the unit to be saved at all. On these exhibits, restoration
work must be performed.
Summary and Finance.
The foregoing has described, in brief, the Canadian Rail
Transportation Museum: its history, progress to date, and some of
the equipment which will be displayed. What it does not cover
is the tremendous amount of volunteer work that has gone into the
• establishment of a project of this magnitude.
Other artioles in this issue of Canadian Rail, written by
those who have performed the work itself, describe in more detail
the operation of laying track and rehabilitating locomotives.
There is no section devoted solely to the acquisition of the
wherewithall essential for a museum of this type —but thiS, the
important financial factor, and those who have performed such ~
must not be overlooked. The painstaking work of compiling lists
of potential donors and the writing of letters, brochures and briefs
requesting aid, has been carried out by a very small group. The
mRterials donated and the sums of money raised are testimony to
Following is a list of some of the larger financial donations:
ProTinoe of Quebeo $25000
Government of Canada 25000
Mo lson s Brewe ry Ltd. 5000
British-Amerioan Oil Co. 1000
Bank of Montreal 1000
Royal Bank of Canada 1000
Mr. Donald F. Angus 1000
Mr. Charles Viau 1000
Dow Brewery Limited 500
Toronto-Dominion Bank 5000
Banque Canadienne Natiom1l500
Pirelli Cables Ltd. 500
Canadian Industries Ltd. $500
Imperial Tobaooo Canada 500
Texaoo (Canada) Limited 500
Northern Eleotrio Co. Ltd.500
Dominion Foundries&Steel 400
Canadian Salt Co. Ltd. 250
International Harvester 250
Royal Trust Company 200
Canadian Bronle Company 200
Vapor Car Heating (Canada) 200
Dow Chemioal Co.of Canada 200
Mr. H. P. Holt 200
Mrs. Mary Angus 182
While the foregoing lists some of the larger financial don
ations made to the Canadian Rail Transportation Museum, its accur
racy and completeness is not guaranteed, nor does it repeat all the
acknowlegements published in previous issues of Canadian Rail.
These are greatly appreciated by the ASSOCiation, and once more
are acknowledged en bloc.
More remains to be done in all spheres
The Chairman of the Committee has provided
list of items that the General Manager would
before the end of 1963:
of Museum operations.
the following partial
like to see completed
The construction of another exhibits-building –more money will
be need,ed •••••
Canadian Rail Page 135
Additional track –more workers needed ••••••••••••••••••
Access road and parking lot –this will require fill and grading ••
Provision of electric power –well have to pay for this too ••
Repainting and restoration of exhibits –when workers & supplioo
May this account of the progress to date and the illustrations
of what has already been accomplished encourage more of our readers
to take an active part in bringing the Canadian Rail Transportation
Museum to fruition. The Museum is NOT YET OPEN to the general pub
lic as an exhibition, but it is open to members and friends with a
I WILL TO fORK —to those who want to take part in one of the most
rewarding and tangible activities of the Canadian Railroad Hist
Canadian Pacific Railway Class G-3 4-6-2 No. 2341,
shown here on display at Winnipeg before leaving
for Montreal and the Canadian Rail Transportation
Museum at Delson, Que., on May 28th. No. 2341 was
accompanied on its eastward trip by H-l Class 4-6-4
No. 2850, the original Royal Hudson type C.P.R.
Photo Canadian Pacific Railway
Opposi te: The story in Brief.
It started with 274 and its overhaul at the M.T.C.shops.
Then locomotives arrived at Delson -at least one by
Ties are moved by jeep and manpower.
Rails are laid and spiked in place.
A Delson home for some equipment.
Cana dian Rat 1 Page 137
Restoration of Ma riti me Rai Iway No.5
One year ago, in the spring of 1962, there rested in the yard
of the Canada Creosoting Company at Delson, Que., our only steam
locomotive then at the museum site. This engine, No.5, a 4-6-0
purchased from the Maritime Coal, Railway & Power Company in the
fall of 1961, had quite evidently come from a small railway. It
possessed no classification lamps, was of a design long obsolete on :.
larger roads, and showed distinct signs of having been in storage
for quite a long period of time. Mechanically, No.5 was in fair
condition, but we are principally concerned here with restoration
for exhibit purposes rather than for operation.
Today, No.5 is one of the exhibIt6 in the museum building at
Deleon and, contrasted with its appearance last spring, it is in
much improved condition, the result of some 1,120 man-hours of work
on the engine during the summer of 1962.
Our first task was to choose a suitable paint scheme for this
engine, refleoting the faot that it had undergone little physioal
change since it was built by Pittsburgh about 1895. We finally
settled on having a grey boiler, blaok smoke box, cab, tender,
frames, wheels and motion, releived by gold lettering and a limited
amount of gold striping. The oab interior was to be in the trad
itional green and the doors and window frames, medium brown. It is
possible that the doors and frames will be restored to varnished
natural finish at a later date, but the existing paint did not per
mit us to perform this work, due to a shortage of time.
The first phase of the programme was the most difficult and
prolonged part of the project; it oonsisted of scraping loose paint
from the locomotive. Paint on the tender sides was in such poor
condition that in this case we had to remove it down to the bare
metal; furthermore, we were not allowed to use a blowtorch for this
job because of tne fire hazard in the creosotlng plant yard. After
three weeks and four scrapers, the tender was ready for its first
coat of lead primer. We left the tender in this condition unt1l we
had the 10oomot1ve proper sufficiently clean, so as to permit
painting both units at onCe. It is of interest to note that, while
scraping the tender, we learned that this was not the original ten
der for this locomotive. After removing tne upper of many coats of
paint, tne remains of the words Canadian National, in block let
ters, were plainly visible in silver paint.
Next came the locomotive itself. Logically, we started from
the top and worked down. We scraped and primed for all of a month
until it was evident that some minor sheathing replacements were
necessary. As a result, the right side cylinder lagging, and the
Westinghouse air pump jacket, were both replaced with sneets of
heavy gauge galvanized iron. Inside the cab, everything was dis
mantled and cleaned with gasoline or paint remover. Then each part
was pr1med and brush painted and replaced in its proper position.
The wood interior was washed and painted and visibly became two
shades brighter –as the detergent commercials have it.
The exterior of the locomotive was brush paInted one coat of
black, and the boiler was brush painted two coats of grey. The
black portions were then sprayed one coat. Treatment of the tender
Canadian Rail Page 139
was similar, with the tender sides being spray pa1nted and the rest
brush painted, two coats in eaoh oase.
The gold letter1ng was then applied. In aocordanoe with the
general practioe of the period, the insoriptions MARITIME and 5
were applied to the oab sides and framed in gold str1plng. A small
gold str1pe was applled to eaoh spoke and also to the oylinder lag
§ing. Gold stripes were app11ed to the tender s1des and a larger
5 applied 1n the oentre of the side. Due to the small s1ze of
tne driv1ng wheels (they are only 48 1n diameter), the applicat10n
of white to the tyres was not made, this ornamentation being app
ropriate only on looomot1ves w1th large dr1ving wheels.
By this t1me, No.5 was beginn1ng to look quite prim but the
restoration project was not quite complete. All the old wiring was removed
and provision made for either 110V or 32V operat1on ot the
11ghts. This added a bit of flavour that only needed live steam to
make quite authentic. (No, we are not adding chem10al steam or
ohoo-ohoo sound effects !) Aotually, the restoration is not yet
complete. A typ1cal 011 headlight of the perlod ls now ln the mak
lng, and dr1ving wheel splashers are also ln the plans. Ult1mately
perhaps No.5 will sport a long wooden pilot, and then shelll be
ready for a Royal Train. Everr as it is now, however, the locomot
ive lends a d1stingu1shed air to the museum. The locomot1ve bell,
number-plate, gauges and other brlght metal parts have been given
spec1al attention, and will be replaced when the eng1ne is on dis
I would 11ke to mentlon the faot that the restorat10n would
not have been posslble without the help of many other people, and
espeoially the staff at the oreosoting plant, for their toleranoe,
help and understanding.
By the way, we need volunteers to paint our other thirty or so
• •• Peter Murphy, Looomotive
~ Photographs on the opposite page, by Fred Angus and Peter
Murphy, show Mari time Railway No.5 before restoration york
started, during the painting of the tender, and as the 10-
oomotive now appears in its grey and black livery.
Gifts-in-kind to the
Canadian Rail Transportation Museum
Algoma steel Corporation.
Aluminum Company of Canada Limited Beaver
Bedard & Girard Ltee.
Brocklesby Transport Ltd. Canada Wire
& Cable Company Ltd.
Ingersoll-Rand Company Ltd. Canadian
C~nadian Steel Foundries Dominion
Steel & Coal Corporation Dominion Tar
& Chemical Company
Drummond Mccall & Company Limited General Railway
McGraw-Edison (Canada) Limited Robert
Mitchell Company Limited Rosco 1retal
Products Limited Royal Canadian Engineers Shawinigan Chemicals Limited
Steel Company of Canada
Page 140 Canadian Rail
NEW MUSEUM ACQUISITIONS ARE GASOLENE-PROPELLED
ORDERS FOR ) ~;.1~ . :/
YOU=R~RA!., 1–_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_–=_–_.L _-= _–_-_– _-_-_-_-_~-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_~-_-_-_-_-_-_-
THE NEXT TRAIN AHEAD FROM THIS STfI·il)~ :….C~T AT
clearance reproduced above, addressed to Extra M235
Southll at Seaway tower on the Canadian Paoifics Adirondack Sub
division, marked the transfer of yet another item of Canadian rail
roadiana to the Associations museum at Delson, Que. A rail motor
inspection car converted from a 1938 Buiok seven-passenger limous
ine automobile, M-235 was on its way to Delson under its own power,
for preservation, having been donated to the Association by Canad
ian Pacific just a week previously. Later the same day, it was
placed inside our trainshed, joining a growing collection of rail
way vehicles on museum property.
M-235 has an interesting story. It was orlglnally the prop-
erty of Dr. H.A. Beatty, Canadlan Paclfics Chief Medlcal Officer
about thirty years ago, who lived at 52 Howland Avenue in Toronto.
Dr. Beatty was the brother of Sir Edward Wentworth Beatty, Chairman
and President of the Canadian PaCific Railway Company. Later, Ir.
Beatty presented the automobile to the Railway, who converted it
into a rail inspection car by replacing the origlnal frame with a
specially-made steel one equipped with four flanged steel wheels,
30 in diameter at the front of the car, and 31 at the rear. The
original coil springs and suspension were replaced by elllptical
springs, and the oar was equipped with airbrakes and compreBsor. The
air also actuates horns and a bell. M-235 also carries its own
turntable, so that the cars direction can be reversed or it can be
run off on rails at right angles to the track. As a result of
these modifications, the unit now weighs 8,400 pounds.
Upon arrival at the switoh linking the C.P.R. with the museum
trackage, M-235 was taken over by yet another Beatty our own
Superintendent, Jack Beatty (no relation of the original owner) -
and driven over our interchange traok and into the trainshed.
M-235 is in exoellent mechanical condition, and is sald to be cap
able of 72 miles per hour, but is restricted to 45 miles per hour
when in operatlon, both for safety reasons and to ensure electrical
contact for operation of block si§nals. This unit will be retained
in operat1ng condit1on for state occasions.
••••• Omer Lavallee
NO.9 -SANS PAREIL
Inevitably, as the collection of locomotives and cars at the
museum grows larger and larger, the need would be felt for a more
efficient means of moving these ponderous objects about, from track
to track. Hitherto, such movement has been accom~l1shed by means
of human force, and/or the winch on Donald Angus never-failing
Jeep, both of which have stood us in good stead since the first
loaomotive arrived last August. Accordingly, on the recommendation
of the Railway Committee, the Association purchased a used gas
electric locomotive from Andrew Merr11ees Limited in April, and
this unit has already been put to work as the Delson yard engine.
The locomotive is a twelve-ton gas-electric unit built by H.K.
Porter in 1928, serial number 7120, It is reputed to be the small
est internal-combustion locomotive with electriC drive ever built
by this or any other builder. Constructed originally for the Lake
St. Joseph Transportation Company, a subsidiary of Central Patrioia
Gold Mines Limited at Savant Lake, Ont., it was used on a portage
railway between two lakes on a water transportation system into
Central Patricia from the Canadian National transcontinental l1ne,
The raiLway ceased operation some years ago when a road was built
in to the mine, and the looomotive was purchased by Merrilees in
1958, and has since been out on rental on several occasions.
This engine was shipped from Toronto by flatcar and arrived at
Delson on Friday, April 26th. It was unloaded and operated for the
first time under our jurisdiction in the oreosoting yard, by Eill
MCKeown and Fred Angus, on Monday, April 29th.
The locomotive had no road number on arrival at Delson, and as
a consequence, it has been given the number 9, this being the
lowest vacant number in our roster. While the locomotive is in
good general condition, it is in need of a general overhaul of aux
iliaries and consequently needs to be coaxed into crperation at
the present time, but once running is able to handle, unaided, eq
uipment up to and including QNS&L locomotive 1112. The larger eq
uipment will have to be moved using block-and-tackle with No, 9,
until we can utilize one of the smaller steam locomotives, such as
No. 25, when large moving is to be done. These little idiosyncrac
ies on the gas-electric seemed to call for a name for this engine.
and on the suggestion of Michel Erubumeur, it was decided to call it
Sans Pareil after Timothy Hackworths steam locomotive which was
built for the Rainhill Trials of 1829, but which lost out to the
more superior Rocket of George and Robert Stephenson. The name
Sans Pareil (French for None Such) is also a small contribution
to Canadian biculturism.
Only after selecting this name was it discovered that, quite
by coinCidence, 1963 is the hundredth anniversary of the preservat
ion of the original Sans Pareil which up to that time was serving
as a stationary winding engine at Coppull Colliery, near Chorley.
England. It was resoued, restored as a locomotive in 1863. and
presented to the Science Museum in London by John Hick, Esq., and
it is still to be seen there.
-. __ .
7 -1015 . B-IOI
Canadian Rail ______________________________________________ ~P~a~g~e~~1~4~3
Another contribution to Canadian Rail from Mr. G. A. Parker shows
the details of Temiscouata Ry. steam locomotives Nos. 7, 8 and 9.
All three locomotives were built by the Montreal Locomotive Works
between 1909 and 1911 and eventually became Nos. 1015, 1016, 1017
of the National System.
The Central Vermont trainshed at St.Albans, Vt., will be dismantled
later this summer as a safety and economy measure. The structure,
88 feet wide and 351 feet long, is open at the north and south ends
with no columns on the inside. Its wooden trusses were designed Qr
one of the most celebrated contractors of a century ago –William
Howe of Spencer, Mass. The trusses, built on the ground in St.Al
bans, were raised by gin poles, block and tackle, mule and manpower. The
brick walls have buttresses on the outside to support the load,
while iron tie rods run horizontally from one end of each truss to
the other. It is believed that the ninety-seven year old structure
is the last remaining trainshed of its type in the United States.
The three-storey office building adjoining the trainshed will not
be affected by demolition of the quaint old building.
Not every retired item of rolling stock that escapes the scrapyard
and the torch finds its way to Delson, as this photo by Peter Cox
proves. CPR first class coach number 728, built at Angus Shops in
November 1912, was sold in August 1956 to Interior Contracting Co.
Ltd. of Penticton, Be, and now si ts a few hundred yards east of the
CP ~tation in that municipality. The 65-foot coach is painted
green and yellow, with black roof and lettering.
-Doug ~rieht, Montreal Star
That engine came out of iHon(rcal Locomotive Works in 1914 -10 lose monel on it now must lake sheer
CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
ella6Iil(,/ /932 • :Box 22 . Slalion:B ]Aollireal 2 Qu,6 • (Jllcorporal,/ /94/
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committee, Canadian Railroad
Historical Association. Subscription: $ 2.50 annually.
CHAIRMAN, PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL:
John W. Saunders.
Robert Half yard.
Frederick F. Angus.
ASSOCIATION RE PRESENTATIV ES:
BEFORE YOU MOVE-VRITEI
At Jeo!1 5 w~ekt hCllot(! )ou
moc. lend u. a letter, • CArd.
or a pOlll-otfiec cIIlUJle·of ..
address form telllog UI both )our
OLD and your NEW .ddrtaMe.
OTTAWA VALLEY: Kenneth F. Chivers. Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
PACIFIC COAST: Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver B, B.C.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN: William T. Shalp, Apartment II, 11544 St, Albert Trail, Edmonton, Alta.
SOUTHERN ONTARIO: William D. McKeown. Apartment 201,859 Kennedy Rd., Scarborough, Onto
ALGOMA: William F. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie. Ont.
Copyright 1963 by CRHA
PRINTED I N CANADA
ON CANADIAN PAPER