Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 137 1962

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 137 1962

) ffi&1fLn
Issued 11 times yearly by
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
This interesting photograph, from the collection of
Mr. F.1l. Chapman of Port Alberni, British Columbia,
was taken at Parksville, B. C., in the late 1930s.
It shows two Canadian Pacific Railway D-4-g class
4-6-0s in service on the subsidiary Esquimalt and
Nanaimo R~ilway, as E.& N. 63 and 62. These units
were formerly Canadian Pacific 463 and 462 respec­
tively, having been transferred to E.& N. in 1930.

Canadian Rail Page 155
Rogers Pass· Railway to Roadway.
by O.S.A.Lava1lee
This summer, after an absence of forty-five years, the legen­
dary nBr:le of Rogers Pass is being brought back into the currency
of Canadian travel geography. From November 1885, until December
1916, the ?ass was the route of the main line of the Canadian Pac­
ific Rallway across the Selkirks in British Columbia. Since the
latter year, however, when the five-mile-long Connaught Tunnel, 600
feet below the Pass, diverted trains from this twisting and peril­
ous, albeit scenic path, the roadbed through the Selkirk gap bet­
ween r,;ount ;;1acdonald and Hermit Mountain has lain abandoned. In
1956, however, it was decided to locate the Trans-Canada Highway
over Rogers Pass, along the original railway alignment. Now the
highway has just been completed, throwing open to the motorist, for
the first time, the inspiring views and awesome glimpses whicb were
once privy to passengers of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The precise route through the main ranges of the Rocky Moun­
tains was still largely undefinen in 1881, when the Canadian Pacific
Railway, newly-organized, undertook to build the railway through
to the Pacific. In the summer of that year, the lofty, 4,300-foot
gap through tbe Selkirks was discovered by I1iajor A.i3. Rogers (1829-
1289) thus enabling the railway to avoid an expensive 200-mil~­
detour around the Big Bend of the Columbia }eiver. fhe discovery
also settled, once and for all, a controversy which had ranged
around the CPRs preferenc8 for a more southerly route through the
mountains than the Yelluwhead Pass then favoured by the Government,
and subsequently used by the Canadian ~orthern and the Grand Trunk
acific systems.
Named after the Major, the Pass presented one of the most
troublesome operdting problems on the Nhole m~in line for more than
thirty yeurs due to its hedvy snowfull, its slide-prone route which
necessitated no less thun twenty-three sno~sheds, its long ond sus­
tained 8.2Yo .;rdue up the eastern approach, and the extensive curv­
ature and bridging en tbe western slope, which carried the railway
down from the southern face of liiount wacdonalrt in a series of loops.
Construction of this section of the transcontinental got under way
in 1884 and continued throu3h ·ch3.t year and into lC25. Engineers,
by means of skilful location up the Beaver River dnd tieer Creek,
were enabled to maintuin the 2.2~ grade which was the maximum for
the Canadian Pacifics main line, with the exception of the 4.5%
Big Hiilbetween ~ield and Stephen, dritish YOlumbia. Nonetheless
the railway over Rogers Pass presented its problems right from the
beginning of regular railway service in July of 1866, particularly
in the necessity to provide pusner locomotives from Beavermouth and
fro~ Revelstoke to the Pass, westbound and eastbound respectively.
Slides were a factor, occurring almost constantly to a greater or
lesser degree. Two major avalanches, in lEge and 1910, completely
wiped out the railway facilities at Rogers Pa:;s statlon, taking a
heavy toll of life. It wus the 1910 Slide, occurring in Uarch of
that year, that caused Canadian Pacific Railway to examine critic­
ally its costs of operation over the pass route, and reach the con­
clusion thqt the savings in snow shed maintenance alone would tip
the scales in favour of a five-mile, double-tracked tunnel.
Snowsheds were a feature of this route, particularly on the
sections immediately east of the Pass station, in the trough formed
by the neighbouring sides of Mount ~acdonald and Hermit Mountain,
and on the southern exposure slope between the Pass and Glacier.
Page 156 Canadian Rail
On the latter section, the percentage of track in snowshed was so
great that the Canadian Pacific, ever concerned for the comfort and
convenience of its passengers, provided a summer track along the
outside of the sheds so that passengers would not be denied the
inspiring views of the Illecil~ewaet Glacier, which formed a pi~
turesque backdrop to ~lacierStation. The summer track functioned
for only a few months or each year; mid-October was co,nsidered to
be the deadline after which snow might be expected and the trains
were diverted through the sheds, until the following June. At
Glacier, there was a station and hotel, the 13.1acier House, operat­
ed by the railway company, which was a regular meal stop for the
transcontinental passenger trains.
After the railway completed its spectacular grade reduction at
Field by the completion of the spiral tunnels in 1909, thus obtain­
ing a uniform maximum 2.2% grade for its main line, other portions
of tne track came under scrutiny for improvement, in the face of
steadily-increasing traffic. By 19L3, 75% of the passenger trains,
and all of the freight trains, were being doubleheaded over the
Pass, and much consideration was being given to double-tracking and
even electrifying, portion$ of the main line. At this time, the
Mountain SubdiVision was carrying an average of 3,080 trains per
year, each way, or between eight and nine trains daily in each dir­
Speed of trains westbbund from Beaverrr.outh to Rogers Pass
was extremely SlON, and in addition, time had to be allowed the
pusher engines to return down the hill after assisting a train.
in the timetable for October 26th, 1913, elapsed
scheduled westbound trains from Beavermouth to
For example,
time for the five
Rogers, 21.8 miles, was as fOllows:
.t Train No.1 Imperial Limited
No. 3 Trans Canada Limi ted
No. 13 (Pa sse ng e r )
Third Class
Train 1<0. 951 Coast Freight
No. gel Soo-Seattle Freight
Time for
21.8 ~ales
91 mins.
83 mins.
99 mins.
200 mins.
205 mins.
14 m.p.h.
16 m.p.h.
13 m.p.h.
6 m.p.h.
Eastbound, while the grade was not quite as long, Seaboard Freight
No. ~52 took seventy minutes to climb up the loops from Cambie to
Rogers Pass, at an average speed slightly in excess of 5 m.p.h.
At these speeds, tile railway was operating to capacity.
An excellent contemporary account of the rail trip over Rogers
Pass is ~iven in his book California and Alaska written by ~ill­
iam Seward Jebb, the well-to-do United States capitalist and trav­
eller, who went over the Pass in the spring of 1889, in nothing
less than a private train!
Leaving Donald, we crossed the Columbia River and ent­
ered the Selkirks, geing up Beaver River and crossing it
on the right side of the mountain. The ascent was com­
menced at Bear Greek, one thousand feet above Beaver Hiv­
er. At this point a magnificent view is had of Beaver
Valley, which extends off to the south until it is fin­
a~ly lost in the mount~ins. from here a long line of the
higher peaks of the Selkirks is seen, culminating in that
Page 158 Canadian Rail
lofty mountain, Sir Donald. The railrcad here ascends
the banks of Bear 0reek at a grade of one hundred and
sixteen feet to tne mile. The construction of th i s pa rt
of the road is a triumph of engineering skill; many nar­
row gorges in the mountain side, the pathways of aval­
anches, had to have the bridges over them protected. The
most noticeable of these bridges was the Stony(s~c) Creek
bridge, the highest structure of the kind in the world,
the distance below the rails being two hundred and ninety
five feet. ,Ve found, upon inquiry, that the great diff­
iculties of the railway company froR snow in the winter
season cccur from Bear Creek to the SU[I:mit, and a similar
distance down on the other side •…•
••••• The snow-sheds, which we entered not far from Dere,
cost the company over ~3,OOO,OOO. They are open on the
side for the purpose of admitting the light, and are com­
pletely equipped with hose, etc., to be used in case of
fire, and are guarded by men day and night. 1hese soeds
are built of heavy squared cedar timber, dove-tailed ~nd
bolted together, backed with rock, and fitted into the
mountai~ side in such a manner as to bid defiance to the
most terrific avalanche.
~s we ascend tne mountain, dear Creek is gradually
cumpressed, by ~ount Macdunald un the left and tne Hermit
on the right, into one narruw deep ravine, which forms
contracted portal to Rogers Pass at tne summit. ,.,s uur
train emerged from the snooN-sheds, Mount I>:acdonald was
seen towering a mile and a ~uarter above the railway to
an almost vertiCal height, its numberless pinnacles uier-
Canad 1 an Rail Page 159
cing the very zenith. As Mr. Van Horne says in describ-
ing the SCGne: Its bose is but a stenes throw distant,!
and it is so sheer, so bare and stupenaous, and yet BO
near, that cne is overawed by a sense of immenSity 81d
mighty grandeur. This is the climax of mountain scenery.
In passing before the face of this gigantiC precipice,
the line clings to the base of Hermit Mountain, and, as
the st!ition at Rogers P!iSS is neared, its clustered
spires appear, faCing those of Mount Macdonald, !ind near­
ly as high, These two matchless mountains were once app­
arently united, but some great convulsion of nature has
split them asunder, leaving barely room for the railway. t
..•.• Leaving Selkirk Summit, the road commences to
descend the mountains, and off to the right is seen, for
many miles far below, the deep Valley of the Illicilli­
waet (sic), which make3 its way westward, following d
devious course through the mountains. The line of the
railroad can easily be traced, until it finally reaches
the hottom of the valley by a series of extraordin!iry
curves, doubling upon itself again and again •••.•
••..• Directly ahead is seen the Great Glacier of the
Selkirks, a vast plateau of sloping ice, extending as far
into the mountains as the eye can reach. It is claimed
by the PacifiC Railway people that this glacier is as
large as all the glaciers in Switzerland combined •••••
We passed in front of the snow-sheds on an out­
er track, which is provided so that travellers may view
the scenery in suwmer, and arrived at Glacier Station •••
Revl.lon of CPR … at Rogers Pass, with Double Track, Five Mile Tunnel.
Ffesent Lme (Single Track)
New Ltne (Oouble Trad)
Mil •• on P,e.ent Line from Field.~5C. 10
~ 1-
At A-A and B-B th double track line w1ll be ~~o~~ee 8:
Ol~ and New C.P.R. Lines at Rogers Pass.
me ocatlon ~~6t~~wl>rl~s:nt 81ngle track; the lIifterellC..:.,< In distances Indicate the saving by
Page 160
Canadian Rai 1
Page 161
The 2-10-2 and 2-10-4 locomotives, waich would have eased the
difficulties of the Rogers Pass railway were still far in the future
when the decision was made, in 191j, to build the Connaught tunnel.
In a0dition to the saving of almost six hundred feet in altitude,
construction of the tUlinel aleo eliminated curvature equalling
nearly seven complete circles, and enabled the Railway to dispose
of a number of bridges crossing Loop Creek and the Illecillewaet
River between Glacier and the foot of the loops.
Traffic was diverted through the Tunnel by virtue of Order No.
25717 of the Board of Railway Commissioners, dated December 13th,
1916, which permitted the Canudian Pac1f1c Railway to operate
trains between miles 76.51 and 91.33 of the Mountain Subdivision,
which section included the Connaught Tunnel. In addition to the
other advantages, the Mountain Subdivision itself was shortened hy
four-and-ahalf miles.
In tht3 summer of 1917, the railway, faced with wartirr,e scarc­
ity of materials, decided to salvage as much rail and structural
material as possible from the abandoned line. A start on dismant­
ling the sheds was made in August of that year, and on September
18th, 1917, the main line track was broken at Rogers Pass and dis­
mantling started in both directions. By mid-OctOber, eighteen out
of twenty miles of track were ripped up, 20,000 linear feet of snow
shed had been dismantled and another 5,000 feet condemned for burn­
ing, and buildings and locomotive facilities at Rogers Pass salvag­
ed and moved down to Donald, B.C.
Thereafter, Nature reclaimed Rogers Pass for forty years, un­
til the decision was made in 1956 to utilize the former railway
route as the grade for the Trans-Canada Highway. But things will
not be quite the same, even if the road Can be kept open success­
fully during the winter months. In the intervening period, the
Illecillewaet GlaCier has retreated farther up its vulley and is
now said to be out of sight of the former location of the Glacier
station and hotel. The highway route, withal, will be a most scen­
ic one and ~ill make Rogers Pass accessible to the tourists once
more, while the trains continue to remain in the comparative sec­
lusion of CanadaS longest railway tunnel, some six hundred feet
beneath the Pass in the bowels of Mount Macdonald.
The Photos
Page 154 -Mount Donald Glacier forms a majestic background to the
train and railway station. (C&:A)
Page 157 –
View shows the snow-sheds in the Selkirk Mountains, the
winter track under cover. (HGF)
Page 157 –
~Sir Donald~ and the Great Glacier of the Selkirks, from
ano ther angle in an old steel engraving. (HGF)
Page 158 -Interior of snow-shed under construction. (OSAL)
Page 159 -CPR No. 402 and train at Rogers Pass Station. (OSAL)
Page 160 -CPR Pacifio Express at Glaoier House. (OSAL)
Page 162 -Hermit Range, from Hotel, showing CPR Station. (CH)
Page 162 -CPR Engine No. 316 and train at Donald, B.C., after long,
hard trip through Rogers Pass. (OSAL)
Herbert G. Frank collection; C&:A, 08AL: Authors oollection.

Canadian Rail Page 163
Notes and News
Edited by W.A.Pharoah
* It is reported that within a year, all diesels on CNs Mountain
Region, except the six units on Vancouver Island, will be oonverted
to use crude oil. Despite increased costs for cleaning, mainten­
ance and wear of engine parts, the low cost of the foul-smelling,
bright green liquid makes its use more economical than regular
diesel fuel. Because crude produces smoke much in excess of that
emitted by diesel oil, the engines will be shut down while they are
not on the move.
* Canadian Pacific is also continuing crude ail tests on about 16
units (8660 -8675) assigned between Calgary and Coquitlam.
* The next change of time, October 28, 1962, will bring some dras­
tic alterations to eN passenger service in B.C. The Continental
will disappear, its lengthy express consist to be carried on the
head-end of No. 304, the Highballer, which will have a steam
generator car added when required. The Jasper -Prince Rupert
daily except Sunday passenger will be replaced by a Railiner (Budd
R.D.C.) three times a week.
* The Canadian Pacific Railway has applied for authority to construct
a 15.5-mile railway line from the vicinity of Bredenbury, Sask., to
Twp. 20 Range 33 west of the prinCipal meridian in the Province of
Saskatchewan. This is the area where substantial potash deposits
are being exploited.
* The Hoard of Transport Commissioners will be holding hearings in
October at three points in Saskatchewan and Alberta, in connection
with applications by Canadian National and Canadian Pacific for
local abandonments in that area. The Board will convene at Assini­
boia, Sask., on October 18 for a Canadian Pacific application to
abandon its Colony Subdivision, extending from Rockglen to Killdeer,
Sask., 24.6 miles. Then it will move to Brooks, Alta., on October
22, for another CPR application, this one for the Cassils Subdivis­
ion, extending from Cassils to Scandia, Alta., 23.4 miles. The
last hearing will be at Hanna, Alta., on October 25, and will deal
with a eN application covering the Spondin Subdivision, extending
17.7 miles from Scapa to Spondin, Alta.
* The ~uebec Association of Bus Owners have decided to co-operate in
a movement at the national level for the purpose of submitting a
brief requesting the Federal Government to stop what is referred to
as the unfair competition on the part of the Canadian National in
the transportation field. Mr. Roy Robinson, manager of Eastern
Greyhound lines, advised the delegates at a bus operators conven­
tion that CN has gradually reduced its rates to the point where
passengers are taken away from certain bus lines. For instance,
a trip by bus from Montreal to Halifax costs #26.25 while the
railway company offers the same service at $13. If this effort to
increase the number of passengers on rails should prove successful
in Eastern Canada, it could be adopted across the country, affect­
ing all bus line operators.
oy£R £ND51w.s
Z I 1196
Canadian Rail Page 165
~ Representatives of 11 railway unions met with CN to protest a plan­
ned reduction in train service across Newfoundland. CN plans in
October to reduce its passenger train service from six to three
trains a Yleek on the cross-Newfoundland service.
a Who said that passenger business in North America is dead? The
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe system recently placed an order
for ~20 million worth of new rolling stock, comprised, for the
most part, of 750 freight cars, but also including 24 double­
deck passenger cars reportedly for use on long-distance services.
a Incorporation of Canadian Pacific Investments Ltd. with a capital­
ization of $40 million no-par common shares was revealed in the
Canada Gazette. An announcement on the purposes of the investment
company is expected soon from the railway company.
a In September, a twin-engined Lockheed lOA aircraft, painted in
Trans-Canada Air Lines livery toured the Country. This little
Electra is the type of airplane which Canadas publicly-owned air­
line employed in introducing commerCial aviation to Canada. The
occasion? T.C.A. is celebrating its twenty-fifth birthday. CF-TCC,
the Lockheed lOA was one of the companys first aircraft. Twenty­
five years ago, there were three planes and seventy-two employees.
Today, twelve thousand people are working for the international
carrier with its fleet of eighty-one turbine aircraft. The flight
of CF-TCC is a dramatic reminder of tremendous accomplishments,
and the fact that Canada has been well-served by this Crown cor­
poration, says the Halifax Chronicle-Herald.
Anyone with colour photos in 1928? Popular colour photography
was a little too late to capture the striking picture that CNR 6138
must have presented late in 1928 when it was assigned to the Nat­
ional Railways Montreal-Toronto-Sarnia flyers Nos. 14 and 15.
As an experiment and test of public reaction,the Northern loco­
motive was painted in colourful hues —the predominating shade
being emerald green, (boiler, tender tank and tires). The smoke­
box, cab and coal hopper were black, as was also the feedwater
heater, while the front and rear buffer beams, the wheel spokes and
rod fluting were painted brilliant red.
This variegated colour scheme did not last long, however,
and by the early 1930 s number 6138 donned the same black livery
as the other U-2 class CNR locomotives.
The diagram thi·s month, courtesy of the Canadian National
Railways, is of the CNs Atlantic and Pacific two all-room
sleeping-cars built in 1924 by the Canadian Car and Foundry Company
Limited at Montreal.
They are steel air-conditioned units riding on six-wheel
trucks and equipped with vapor heating and, of course, electric
lighting. When constructed in 1924, air-conditioning was not one
of their features but this was added as soon as air-conditioned
railway equipment became practicable.
The Atlantic and the PacifiC, known as special compartment
observation cars, were ordered by the CNR early in 1924 and deliv­
ered to the Railways later in the same year.

Canadian Rail Page 167
Presentation of Terrier Tank Engine
–by O.S.A.Lava1lee
While the purpose of our Transatlantic 1962 BOAC flight from
Montreal to London and return was to afford members and associates
low-cost and rapid air transportation for a three-week go-as-you­
please· vacation on the other side of the Atlantic, one function
was arranged at which a number of members and friends of the Assoc­
iation were present. This occasion was the official presentation
of British Railwaysl 0-6-0T DS680 which took place at Preston Park
Works of the Pullman Company at Brighton, on Monday, June 4th, 1962.
official party consisted of Messrs. C.E.R. Sherrington,
recently-retired Director of the Research Information Division of
the British Transport Commission; F.D.Y. Faulkner, Public Relations
and Publicity Officer of the Southern Region, British Railways, and
John Scholes, Curator of Historical Relics, British Transport Comm­
ission. C.R.H.A. delegates were headed by Mr. Donald F. Angus,
Honorary President, I-1r. John W. Saunders, Director, and I>1essrs.
Taylor and Evans. Other members and friends of the Association
present at the ceremony included Mrs. Angus, Mrs. R.R. Sandusky and
Col. C. W. Weldon McLean. Our President, Dr. Nicholls, had planned
to attend but was prevented from doing so at the last moment due to
a tragic death in his family. The Association had also invited the
present Lord Strathcona to be present, but a telegram was received
at Brighton conveying his inability to be present but extending his
best wishes.
The British weather was excellent as the delegation assembled
at Victoria Station in London for the 10:45 AM departure of the
Brighton Belle, the all-Pullman electric train. The official
party was accomodated in car H of the train, which sped on its
way promptly to schedule. The one-hour run to Brighton was passed
in convivial fashion with sherry being provided the guests through
the courtesy of our hosts. At Brighton, the delegates remained on
board the train at the passenger station, while it was unloaded,
and the equipment was then backed the short distance to Preston
Park works, where the Pullman equipment is overhauled, at which
point the ceremony had been arranged. After sufficient step-stools
had been obtained to allow the passengers to descend from the high
and stepless passenger equipment into the works yard, they proceed­
ed into the shop itself, where Mr. Faulkner officially turned over
No. Ds680 to the Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
The little locomotive had been cleaned, though it was in some­what sombre
black livery, relieved somewhat by red siderods and
buffer beams a distinct contrast to the bright and elaborate
yellow Stroudley livery to which it is hoped at some future date to
restore it. In accepting the locomotive, ~1r. D.F. Angus said:
How very pleased I am to be in this most distinguished com­
pany today; as Honorary President of the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association, it gives me great pleasure to have
the honour and privilege of receiving from British Railways
this most historic and interesting locomotive, formerly the
Waddon of the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway,
whi ch Vias designed by 1,Hlliam Stroudley in 1875, –a Ter­
rier engine, which the British Transport Commission has so
kindly and generously donated to us.
British Railways photograph
Page 168
Canadian Rail
Vie are indeed happy that a British engine is the first
piece of rolling stock to be acquired from any country out­
side of Canada, and we assure you that it will be given a
place of honour in our museum, and that it will be of the
utmost interest to all who visit the museum near Montreal,
which, by the way, will be the largest by far in Canada.
I regret exceedin~ly that our President, Dr. R.V.V.Nicholls,
who has donated so much time and energy to this project had
to return hurriedly due to a tragic death in his famil~ but
I am greatly honoured to be able to substitute for him. IIIay
I thank you most warmly on behalf of the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association for this wonderful gift, and we all
hope that we shall have the pleasure of showing you our
museum when it is opened next year. This has certainly been
a red-letter day for our organization.
Again, my grateful thanks.
After photographs had been taken to record the event, the guests
were taken on a tour of the works where they examined, at first
hand, Pullman cars undergoing complete overhaul. ~veryone marvell­
ed at the elaborate inlaid wood and panelling which is a feature of
this equipment, reminiscent of the passenger cars of North America
in their hey-day. It was noted that some of the older cars were
undergoing conversion into camping coaches, which are leased to
private parties for vacation purposes.
After the inspection, the party-re-embarked on board the wait­
ing Brighton Belle which was returned to the station, then retur­
ned on its scheduled run to London. Luncheon vias served the party
as guests of British Railways, and those who attended say that the
service left nothing to be desired, with appropriate wines accomp­
anying the various courses of the meal.
Upon return to Victoria Station, the members accepted the in­
vitation of Mr. Scholes to visit the Museum in Trian~le Place,
Clapham, and after tea at the adjoining hotel, a special bus took
the party to the museum which is only partially open to the public.
The guests spent a pleasant afternoon at the Museum, examin­
ing, in particular, the prototype locomotives, carriages, trams and
busses which are in that part of the museum not yet open for public
display. Of most interest vas, of course, the Brighton Terrier
Boxhill , sister engine of the locomotive presented to us, which
has been completely restored in its splendid Stroudley Improved
Engine Green livery. Mr. Angus admits that he feels somewhat dis­
couraged that we shall ever be able to restore fndaddon to a con­
dition even approaching that of Boxhill, v-lhich was evidently com­
pletely dismantled for the repainting, and each component thorough­
ly cleaned and enamelled before reassembly.
Other items at the museum which aroused interest to the party
were several Royal Carriages, notably the small four-lheeled priv­
ate car of Her JlTajesty Queen Adelaide, dating back a century-and-a­
quarter, and the carriage of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, lith its
quilted silk ceiling! Hr. Hambleton of the museum staff was most
attentive to the party, showing blueprints and techniq~e~
applying the striping and lettering of the elaborate Brltlsh rall­
way liveries.
Canad ia n Page 169
informs all subscribers that they may
obtain the privilege of Associate Membership by sending in the form
enclosed with this issue, along with the price of 1963 Associate
Membership, $4.00. * This, of course, includes a subscription to
Canadian Rail. Dont miss this excellent opportunity to enjoy the
benefits of a C.R.H.A. membership.
Recently, the following persons were elected to Associate
Membership in the Association:
Mr. Edward Daniels Mr. Gordon Proudfoot
Mr. Bruce Shier Mr. Gordon Richardson
Mr. William Guyette Mr. Percival Lamont Mr.
Richard Overton Mr. H. L. Racicot
Mr. Paul Rbukin
following were elected to regular membership:
Mr. Harold Parkyn Mr. Norman Willia~
In addition, the following were proposed for Associate Member­
Mrs. Edith Bridges
Mrs. Mary Mason Mr.
E.J. Bush Mr.
Ian Pullen
Mr. Robert Smythe Mr.
Stuart Donaldson
Mr. Raymond Firmin
Mr. Yve s Ha vry
Mr. G.L. Millington
Mr. Stuart Graham Mr.
Christian H. Hansen
Mr. John de Belle
Mr. Herbert Frank
Mr. Edward Haines
Mr. Douglas Wingfield
Mr. Roderick Fournier
Mr. Robert Gilmour
Mr. Noel S. Weaver Mr.
Allen Jorgensen
Mr. Hyman Mande I
Mr. Ronald Bryant
Both members and subscribers are reminded that contributions to
the Museum Fund are still welcomed. Each contributer remitting
$5.00 or more receives a comprehensive 32 page illustrated book,
describing the Museum Project ih detail ..••..••• Your opportunity to
contribute materially to this worth-while project.
*You will be oonsidered paid up for the entire 1963 year.
At the conclusion of the visit, the guests thanked Mr. Scholes
for his courteous preview and were returned to Victoria Station
by special autobus.
Our locomotive is remaining temporarily in use by British
Railways, but it is expected to be released and transported to Can­
ada probably this fall. Shipping arrangements have already been
made to receive it, and the Government has kindly consented to
grant the Association a remission of customs duty in view of the
age and purpose of the exhibit. I1,vaddon will be the first used
British steam locomotive to come to Canada permanently since the
St. LaVlrence & Ottawa Railway purchased an 1861 North London Rail­
way 4-4-0T locomotive in the late 1$70s, and brought it to Canada.

Canadian Rail Page 171
More than forty vehicles,
representing the period 1885-
1935 and including standard-and
metre-gauge electric cars, steam
locomotives and trailers, com­
prise the Belgian tramway museum
—opened on Saturday, May 26th
at Schepdaal, ten miles from the
city of Brussells. The museum,
cooperative effort of the Soc­
iete Nationale des chemins de
fer vicinaux (state-owned inter­
urban system) and the Associat­
ion pour le Musee du Tramway,
(otherwise known as AMUTRA),
is housed in the former Schep­
daal Depot of the SNCV, on the
exist~ng interurban line from
Brussells to Ninove, only 25
minutes from downtown on the
Ni route of the Vicinal.
The idea for such a museum
was advanced nearly two years
ago when SNCV officers and Bel­
gian railway enthusiasts decided
that the time had come to make a
central collection out of a con­
siderable number of historical
pieces of equipment stored at
various points –all relics of
the once-vast but now rapidly­
diminishing Vicinal network.
Eventually, the Schepdaal depot
was selected for this purpose,
and underwent complete overhaul
by the SNCV. In addition to
providing under-cover housing
for over forty vehicles, and
more to come, the facilities
also include a museum office, an
archives hall, a meeting hall, a
projection room, and a room in
which a model system will even­
tually be constructed and dis­
The imposing collection of
electric railway equipment is
headed by the Vicinals original
1694 motor car and trailer, used
on the first electric SNCV line
between the capital city and Es­
pinette; other types of electric
cars bring the collection up to
1935, and from time to time,
other representative units of
more recent date will be added
to this very comprehensive nuc­
leus. Non-electric equipment
includes two self-propelled
autorail cars, and three steam
locomotives, two built in Bel­
gium in 1906 and 1920 respect­
ively, and one in England (Haw­
thorn-Leslie) in 1917. The loco­
motives haul three trains com­
prised of eight vehicles, the
oldest of which dates back to
1885. Both standard-and metre­
gauges are represented.
The inaugural train of May
26th, cons isting of a two-axled
electric motor car, a first-and
second-class passenger car, and
an open-bench car, carrying in­
vited guests, left the Porte de
Ninove in Brussells. Upon arr­
ival at the Museum, tributes
were paid by M. R. Hoens, Dir­
ector-General of the SNCV to the
individuals who had seen the
museum through to completion.
The official party also included
M. Dehon, President of AMUTRA,
M. Van Lul of the Ministry of
Communications, M. Hannel, Pres­
ident of the Union belge des
transports urbains and M. Cuvel­
ier, Director of the Brabant
division of the SNCV. Schepdaal
is in the Province of Brabant.
On the day following, Sun­
day, May 27th, something in ex­
cess of 700 visitors were rec­
eived at the new museum.
Restoration of the exhibits
was carried out by the SNCV shop
in Brussells, and assistance was
rendered by volunteers, many of
whom are members of the Royal
Belgian Railway Amateur Society.
Photos opposite: (top left) No. 19, an eleotrie motor unit of
the type first in serviee in 1894; (top right) No. 1836, trailer, had
longitudinal seats, first olass eompartment; (bottom left) No. 2249,
a baggage ear, built in 1888: (bottom right) No. 1209, ear for steam
powered train, seeond olass passengers, built in 1907.
–Photos from La Vie du Rail

Canadian Rail Page 173
Edmonton Branch Activities
by Eric Johnson
The Branch Programme for the fall months has now been deter­
mined, and the dates and activities are as under:
September 11th -Business meeting, followed by a talk by E.W. John­
son on American Tour, 1962. This was a set of
slides, mostly short lines, o~ places visited dur­
ing the last summer, from Shay locomotives on the
Klicki tat Lumber Company in Washington State, to
cable cars in San Francisco, and the Bevier & Sou­
thern RR in Missouri.
October 9th – A showing of slides 01 the railways of Newfoundland
is planned, with a taped commentary, by O.S.A. laval­
lee, Vice-President in MOntreal.
November 13th -The Edmonton
John Meikle,
for years.
Transit System, to be given by Mr.
who has been a student of this line
December 11th -Planned showing of films of the Union Pacific RR
and the Santa Fe RR.
Fall Excursions
In late September or early October, the Branch will arrange an
excursion from Edmonton to Hinton, Alta., about 300 miles round
trip. Participants will travel from Edmonton to Hinton on the C.N IS
Continental, and return on the same train. During the four-hour
layover between trains, it is planned to have lunch and visit the
pulp mills at that location.
During the summer, three Branch members, Messrs. John Guay, Jim
Stevenson and Russ McAllister, along with several non-members,
offered their services to Edmonton Exhibition authorities to rest­
ore Canadian National 4-6-0 No. 1392. As a result, the volunteers
repainted the engine, reglazed its windows, refitted the bell and
other items, and rebuilt the fence around it. The Branch has ex­
pressed willingness to look after the locomotive on a regular basis
but would prefer to have it moved to a better position near the
main entrance to the Exhibition Grounds, to reduce vandalism.
Success in this respect has emboldened the Branch to approach
the Edmonton Transit System with an offer to repair and restore
streetcar No.1, a double-truck deck-roof Ottawa-built car, which
has been languishing at the forme.r carhouse (now a bus garage) for
ten years. Recently, the car was placed inside, and is now located
on a 300-foot track complete with overhead wire.
Here is streetoar No.1 as it looked in 1949, when Foster M.
Palmer took this photograph. Note the ourious route indicator. in
the form of a geometric pattern. These were provided for persons who
were illiterate. or could not read English. Different combinations of
shapes and colours could be memorized more readily than the language.

Canadian Rail
Page 175
Eighty-Year-Old Dubs Engine
to Star
In Cinema
City of Winnipeg Hydro Railway No.3, a 4-4-0 ex-Canadian Pac­
ific steam locomotive built by Dubs & Co., of Glasgow, Scotland, in
1882, has attained a certain amount of fame since it was discover­
ed by railway historians in 1959, operating on the Hydro Railway
at Pointe du Bois, Man., in Whiteshell Forest Reserve.
Earlier this year, when the Hydro Department announced that
the railway on which the engine ran, (connecting the CPR at Lac du
Bonnet, Man., with Pointe du Bois, a distance of approximately 30
miles) would be abandoned, many groups, including CRHA, sought to
obtain the locomotive for preservation. While our request was lim­
ited to an application for custody of the engine if the HydroRail­
way were disposing of it, some offers to purchase the locomotive,
and at figures rumoured to be as high as $20,000, came from collec­
tors in the United States. Possessing two 4_lf-OS of our own, we
were not so much interested in obtaining No.3 for the museum as we
were in seeing that it was kept in Canada, where it holds a record
for longevity in service for a railway locomotive. The decision of
the Hydro Department to retain it for use now, and for probable
preservation in Manitoba eventually, 1s a solution which anyone
interested in Canadian railways, whether he lives in this country
or not, will applaud. The City a:f Winnipeg is to be congratulated
for taking this position in the light of the admittedly attractive
financial offers which were made; it is reassuring to know that in
some quarters, prinCiples are more highly esteemed than Mammon.
Later this year,locomotive No.3 is scheduled for a short visit
to the United States, on loan for use in a film being produced
by Canadian-American Productions Incorporated, of which Mr. James
Durgin is producer. The film will deal with the Battle of Sugar
Point, which we are informed was one of the last United States Army
cavalry actions against the Indians. The sequences in which No.3,
is to be used will be filmed near Walker, Minn., which is about 260
miles from Winnipeg, on both the Great Northern and Northern Pacif­
ic Railways. The report also says that the engine may be accompan­
ied by Mr. Robert (Uncle Bob) McFarlane, 82-year-old ex Canadian
National Raihlays locomotive engineer, who operated No.3 for the
Hydro Railway for fifteen years after his retirement from CNR in
It is understood that the filming is to be done late in Sept­
ember,and may have been completed by the time that this is printed.
No.3 was originally Canadian Pacific Railway No. 22, built in
April, 1882; in 1905 it was renumbered to 133, and in 1912 to 86 in
the CPRs last steam locomotive numbering series. It was purchased
by the Hydro Department in 1918. The valve gear components bear
the numbers 86 and 133 in many places.
* * * * * *
Here is Winnipeg Hydro No.3 in action –in the woods near Poiute
du Bois, Manitoba. The engine was built by Dubo in 1882 and has
been in service longer (eighty years) than any other Canadian
steam locomotive.
–Photo: O.S.A.Lavallee
Strike Vote
Doug Wright, Editorial Cartoonist, Montreal Star
I wouldnt mind a strike if 1 had the money the railroad would save NOT rUDnlng this train!
et061i,~e3 1932 • J3M 22 . Stolioll J3 . Jviollireol 2 . Qlle6ec • {/corporole3 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications
S2.~O annully
Committee, Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
David R. Henderson
Anthony Clegg
William Pharoah
John W. Saunders
Robert Half yard
Omer S.A. Lavallee
Frederick F. Angus
Peter Murphy
Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue,
Vancouver 8, B.C.
William T. Sharp, Apartment 11,
11544 St. Albert Trail, Edmonton, Alta.
At least 5 weeks before )ou
move, send us a leller, a card,
or R post-office chnnge-or ..
address form telling U8 both your
OLD and your NEW addresses.

Demande en ligne