( ~ it-<
– I U ~
+ 0 0
I 00 Ul
I: ….. oj
OFFICIAL DIAGRAM of MTC Observation Car No.1; originally equipped with
33 wheels, these were replaced in AprU 1938 by 30 wheels, reducing overall
height from 119l to 11 8.
I . . .
. . .
DURING THE TROLLEY ERA in
the city of t-1ontreal, one of the
most familiar and spectacular
classes of rolling stock, to the
public and to railway amateurs
alike, were the four open~
observation cars. These popular
and pleasant vehicles were in
use for four or five months in
the summer of each year, regul
arly making their ten-mile one
hour tour taking in the shopping
district, Fletchers Field, Out
remont, and so around the moun
tain to Snowdon, Sherbrooke St
reet and back domtown again.
When the streetcars were finally
replaced by busses in 1959, the
observation cars, perforce, went
with them, and one lvlontreal
newspaper was led to comment
that the most regretted aspect
of the conversion programme was
the loss, to the public,of these
distinctive and unique vehicles.
One of the cars, No.1, was a
veteran in the service, and
when it ran for the last time in
the summer of 1958, it completed
fifty-three seasons in the ser
vice of three transportation en
tities, the Montreal Street
Railway, the Montreal Tramways Company
and the Montreal Trans
portation Commission. Its run
ning mate, No.2, was scarcely
less noteworthy, having been in
troduced in 1906. Nos. 3 and 4 were
having been built only as rec
ently as 1924.
by Omer S.A. Lavallee
Not only was No.1 the par
ent of the Montreal family,
but it was also the design an
cestor of at least five other
cars of similar design which ran
Where did the other five
cars run, you will ask? Well,
older enthusiasts will remember Nos. 123 and
124 of the British
Columbia Electric Railway, which
were scrapped only about ten
years ago. Those with a little
more seniority as enthusiasts,
will also recall Nos. 1 and 2 of
the Citadel Division of the Que
bec Railway, Light & Power Com
pany, which were scrapped foll
owing abandonment of the QRL&P
city system in 1947. But you
have to be a real veteran to re
member the fifth car, which last
ran in passenger service over
thirty years ago, the pride and
joy of the Calgary tlunicipal
It is true that many cities
of North America and Europe had
sightseeing cars of various des
criptions. These were largely
an outgrowth of the open-bench
car, and some of them are still
in use today on the other side
of the Atlantic. So far as the
author knows, however, the roof
less, stepped design which the
surviving Montreal cars typify,
was peculiar to Canada, and was
not to be found outside this
Left: Montreal Street Railways original observation car, later No.1, when only one
month old. (June 1905) at Mount Royal Ave. and Park Avenue. Photo MTC.
Page ; &:i: TOP -Montreal Tramways Co. No.3, equipped with short-lived wartime
roof:j June 1943, McDonald and Monkland, Ville St. Laurent. Photo A. Cle·gg.
MIDDLE: Broadside view of Calgarys mirror-sided Scenic Car, in 1912.
BQTTOM: Quebec Railway Light & Power Co. No.2 at Place dAunes, just
outside the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec, about 1945. Photo A. Lafreniere.
Page 16-6: The author at the controls of QRL&P No.1, at St. Malo carhouse, Quebec,
just before the car was scrapped. October 1947. Photo A. Clegg.
It was in 1905 that the
first observation car was des
igned by Mr. D.E. Blair of the
Montreal Street Railway, and
built under his direction at the
Hochelaga Shops of the MSR. The
officers of the Company, then at
the peak of its prestige and in
fluence, were a little dubious
of the reception such a vehicle
might receive at the hands of
the public. But, following the
completion of the first car in
May of that year, its acceptance
was immediate and spontaneous,
and the MSR resolved to build a
second car in time for the seas
on of 1906.
The resulting Observation
Car, in polished brass, yellow
and-gold livery and varnished
seats, when new and still unnum
bered, was photographed outside
the MSR waiting room at Mount Royal and
Park avenues, with the
proud officers of the MSR occup
ying the most prominent seats.
As the illustration shows, the
car was constructed in step
form, with successive groups of
four seats on progressively
higher planes, as the passenger
walked from the front to the
rear of the car. The design was
such that all seats offered some
advantages, and it was difficult
to decide whether to sit at the
front of the car and watch the
scenery approach from the low
er level, or station oneself on
the raised upper portion and
look down with disdain and haut
eur on the passing pedestrians.
It is noteworthy that, through
out the careers of these cars,
the Montreal transport~tion
authorities always insisted that
the cars were intended for the
use of the citizens, rather than
the tourists. Despite this, it
was common in summer to hear the
distinctive Yankee accents of
Montreals prolific parade of
visitors from the great Republic
to ~he south, with their char
acteristic comments –Look at
those outSide staircases, or,
referring to the pilgrims at St.
Josephs shrine on Queen Mary Road,
–~ou mean they go up,
all those steps on their ~?
C.R.H.A. News Report
In spite of the fact that
Montreals specimens never were
equipped with awnings to shield
the passengers from rain showers,
the first car was an immediate
success, and in the spring of
1906, the Montreal Street Rail
way set about constructing a
running mate for the first car.
Numbered 1 and 2, the cars were
painted in the light chrome yel
low paint scheme of the MSR with
elaborate gold and black striping
and ornamentation, which were
retained permanently thereafter.
The elaborate iron railings on
the cars were finished in gold
coloured paint, the seats were
varnished, and two arches of
polished brass, mounted over the
front half and the rear half of
the car, each carried a beaver
emblem surmounted by a clutch of
five light bulbs in series, for
illumination of the car at night.
For four years, Montreals
two examples were the only ones
of their kind. Then, in 1910,
the first of the two Quebec
Railway cars came out for that
systems Citadel Division the
name used to designate the QRL&P
city lines as distinct from the
interurban Montmorency Division.
This car was rather shorter than
the Montreal cars, and unlike
them, was provided with an awn
ing whic~ could be unrolled over
the passengers in the event of
In the following year,
what was already becoming Can
adas longest electric railway
system, the British Columbia
Electric Railway, copied the
Montreal design closely, and
early in 1911, came out with two
cars of its own, Nos.123 and 124
painted green like the rest of
the rolling stock of the BC car
rier. These cars had a total
length over bumpers of 459!
and generally followed the des
ign of the Montreal cars except
for one notable and distinctive
difference –they were built
for the left-hand rule of the
road. The frequent coastal rain
visited on Vancouver made the
adoption of the Quebec-type awn-
Calgary Municipal Railway Scenic Car.
C.R.H.A. News Report
nings, a practical necessity.
In July, 1911, the Quebec
Railway, Light & Power Company
introduced its second car, No.2,
which, like No.1, was built at
the St. Malo shops in the west
end of the city.
With six cars now polishing
the rails of three of Canadas
major cities, it remained for
Calgary to produce the seventh
car in the year 1912. Several
differences distinguished this
vehicle in the Alberta citYi for
one thing, it was the only obser
vation car not built by the own-
ing company in its own shops.
The Scenic Car, as it was loc
ally known (evidently lacking a
rolling stock number), was a
product of the Preston Car &
Coach Company of Preston, Onto
It cost $7,500, and while gener
ally similar in design to the
cars in the other cities, poss
essed detail differences in
railings and ornamentation, had
an ungainly-looking Bathtub
front, and the awning was mount
ed more or less permanently on a
steel framework, which was
tailored to conform to the roof
outline of an arch-roofed car,
with canopies over the conductor
and the motorman. Even in 1912,
Calgary was not without that
flair for cowboy flamboyance
which more notably exhibits it
self in the famed annual Stam
pede: the cars side panels were
plate glass mirrors, and one
might say that the vehicle, in
every sense, reflected the
citys aspects and aspirations,
(if the readers will forgive a
horrible pun). What woodwork
remained after the decoration
was painted white.
The outbreak of war in 1914
arrested any further development
which might have been made in
cities other than the four which
already possessed observation
cars, though the Montreal fleet
was augmented in 1924, after
peace and comparatively normal
times returned. In that year,
the Montreal Tramways Company, which had
succeeded the Montreal
Street Railway in 1911, caused
two more observation cars to be
constructed at Youville Shops,
Nos.) and 4, of the same general
appearance and deSign as the two
earlier cars, but less elaborate
in detail. The cars were, how
ever, constructed with steel un
derframes, a refinement hitherto
untried on the observation cars
which had been built in Canada.
Cl 0 It) ..; 8
~ =-~,…. 0-
> <0 M
::J ….. -Ej 8
…. _ CI •
CI 0 0.
$eeiwj v~, B.a.
Z It) —-
::J-;-~ c ~
-(I) ….. 0 c
by B. C. Electric Observation Car
Conductor Teddy Lyons
;((1 _ cnQ.
~ –;.:-~ ;::
During the winter of 1921-
22, the Vancouver cars were al
tered to agree with the right
hand rule of the road, which
came into effect in areas served
by the BCER Company on January
All of the observation cars
were two-man vehicles, and the
uniform fare was 25¢ a ride
until after the second War. In
Quebec, Calgary and Vancouver,
the conductor doubled as a
guide, pointing out places of
interest. In Calgary, the con
ductor pointed a huge megaphone
at the properly-cowed passengers
but in Vancouver in later years,
one of the conductors, Teddy Lyons,
achieved somewhat of a showmans
reputation with a con
tinuing potpourri of singing and
dancing staged by children along
the route, arranged beforehand
by this resourceful trolley im
presario. At one point, the car
paused for a few seconds while a
second-storey photographer sn
apped a picture of each carful
of passengers; prints were ob
tainable a short time after the
journey was over.
~he Quebec cars were arr
anged to connect with the inter
urbans to Sainte Anne, and vis
itors seldom failed to take the
observation car for a bilingual
tour of one of North Americas
oldest and most charming cities.
The operation in Montreal
C.R.H.A. News Report
was more sedate. The only con
cession to the gay and carefree
atmosphere of the Golden Char
iot was a panama straw hat
supplied to the motorman and the
conductor, which contrasted with
their blue serge uniforms. The
conductor blew a small referees
vlhistle to signal the motorman when
to proceed. After florId
War II, the cars were equipped
with less charming, but more
efficient single-stroke electric
bells for signalling, and the
garde-moteur was protected
from evening insects by wind
shields installed in 1954.
Though this was a concession to
the motormans otherwise breezy
perch, it somehow destroyed the
open air II aspect of the Montreal
cars where the passengers, un
like their counterparts in the
other three observation car cit
ies, remained unprotected by a
roof awning. If it rained, there
was a disorganized scramble to
abandon the car, with the con
ductor issuing transfers as
rain checks or for alternate
covers were unrolled over the
seats, the crew donned rainwear,
and the car made as swift a run
as possible to the nearest car
house, —and shelter t
For at least one season in
the late 1940s, one Montreal car
was equipped with an electric
public-address system, and char
tered by the Montreal Sightsee-
C.R.R.A. News Report
ing Company for tours when not
in use on a regular run. Sidings
and disused track at strategic
places enabled the car to wait,
unhampered, while the passengers
visited many of the citys plac
es of interest.
The first car to be discon
tinued was Calgarys, withdrawn
after the 1930 season evidently
as an economy measure because of
the DepreSSion. It was not sc
rapped, however, until after the
outbreak of the second
War in September 1939, had the
effect of removing the observat
ion cars in all three cities
still using them, for the dur
ation. In 1943, however, Mon
treals No.3 was temporarily
pressed into service, equipped
with a makeshift roof, to carry
munitions workers on the Car
tierville line. This arrange
ment lasted only for a few weeks
until the MTC completed the 1175
class cars, which were designed
to use the observation cars
trucks and control equipment,
while the national emergency
lasted. Calgarys Scenic Car
was brought back into passenger
less service, on at least one
occasion in 1944 or 1945, when
it was used to publicize Victory
artificial stimulus of
wartime conditions ceased to be
felt beginning in 1946 and many
street .railway systems which
might previously have been con
verted to rubber-tired operation
now faced imminent abandonment.
The city lines of the Quebec
Railway, Light & Power Co., were
among the first to go, in the
fall of 1947, and the two obser
vation cars were scrapped. One
of the last photographs ever
taken of QRL&P No. 1 is repro
duced here, when it was moved Page
out of St. Malo Barn for Anthony Clegg and
myself, on October 4th,
1947. As we have noted prev
iously, the Calgary car was sc
rapped about the same time.
The two B. C. Electric cars
continued to run in Vancouver
in the postwar period, but with
a steadily-progressing programme
of rail abandonment going on
concurrently, they were taken
out of service in September,
1950, and scrapped not long
Now, only the four Montreal
cars were left, and they contin
ued to operate regularly, summer
after summer, until 1958. Their
ultimate fate~ however, had been
sealed in 19,1 when the newly
formed Montreal Transportation
Commission had announced a long
term programme of bus substitut
ion. The service survived until
1958 when steadily-dwindling
trackage retired them one year
before the cessation of all rail
operation, at Labour Day, 1959.
It is pleasant to relate
that Montreals four cars were
not included in the wholesale
scrapping of cars which followed
the abandonment. At this time,
MTC No.1, the prototype of all
the others, was promised to our
Association for its museum. A
second car, No.4, was acquired
by a private collector in Mon
treal, while Nos. 2 and 3 have
been kept as part of the MTC
It is thus possible that at
some time in the future, it will
be possible once again to board
one of these cars and recapture
the exhilarating experience of
the IIride around the mountain
or to Kerrisdale, Sillery or the
South Hill -that was once part
and parcel of the outdoor life
of four Canadian cities.
Left: A happy carload of British Columbia Electric Railway Co. passengers in car
124, in 1948. Prints like this could be purchased at the conclusion of each trip.
Collection of Anthony Clegg.
C.R.R.A. News Report
BY THE TIME that this app
ears in print, the locomotive
illustrated on the opposite page
will be well on its way to l-1on
treal, and the Canadian Rail
Transportation Museum. There,
it will serve to represent the
smaller railways of Canada in
general, and the Maritime Coal,
Railway & Power Company in par
ticular, whose property it was
until its acquisition by our
Association early in November-
Unlike some of the other
locomotive exhibits which will
be found at the museum, rendered
obsolete when only ten or fif
teen years old, No. 5 was pretty
well up to human retirement age.
This engaging little 4-6-0 is a Yankee by
birth, having been
constructed by the Pittsburgh
Locomotive works in 1898. More
over, it spent its early years
working for the Pittsburgh &
Lake Erie Railroad, before being
sent to Canada for sale to a
contractor working near Cochrane
in northern Ontario, at the end
of World Var 1. In 1920, it was
purchased by the Maritime Coal,
Railway & Power Company, and was
in regular use on that line un
til a few years ago. For the
last three or four seasons, how
ever, it was held for repair on demand
–but the demand never
came, and when the Maritime line
abandoned its service in July,
its three locomotives, including
No.5, were offered for sale.
The Association tried un
successfully to have the loco
motive donated by the railway
companYi however, the scrap
price of a steam locomotive
looms pretty large among the
liquidable assets of a small
railway such as the Maritime
Company, and at the eleventh
hour, the situation was saved by one
of the members, who kindly
loaned the Association the am
ount of money necessary to ob
tain No.5 for the museum. There,
it will become the fifth 4-6-0
in the CRRA collection.
Quite possibly, No.5 will
be the first locomotive to be
placed in our new building, to
await a cleaning-up and repaint
ing in the spring.
We would like to enlist the
aid of our many United States
readers, to help us locate more
information about No. 5 while it
belonged to the Pittsburgh &
Lake Erie Railroad. Photographs
of the engine or engines of the
same class would be especially
welcome. We do not possess any
record of the P&LE road number,
but with a little ingenuity, a
student of the motive power of
the Pennsylvania-Ohio carrier
should be able to determine this
without undue difficulty.
Our photograph was supplied
by Mr. Bob Sandusky.
LOCOMOTIVES Contd from Page 160
12×18 31 Hinkley
Sold in 1899 to McLean Brothers, Vancouver.
12×18 31 Hinkley
Sold in 1900 to White Pass &: Yukon Ry.
14~18 36 Rogers
Sold in 1900 to White Pass &: Yukon Ry.
In 1898, when railway taken over by CPR, latter brought in Nos.
4 and 5 from Lethbridge, presumably from the Alberta Railway
&: Coal Company.
C.R.H.A. News Report Page 173
Upon receipt of my copy of the December, 1960, News
Report, I was at once struck with the cover photograph depicting
the decorated tram of the Ottawa Electric Railway passing through
the streets of Ottawa on Christmas Eve, 1897. Further research
brought to light more information on this probably unique custom
prevalent in the City of Ottawa many years ago. For the Street
Railway Journal, Vol. XIII, p. 96, (February 1897) contained an
article on the subject, an excerpt from which is here appended:
It is interesting to note in connection
with street railway parks and pleasure resorts,
that railway companies are beginning to in
stitute novel parades, consisting of specially
In Fig. 2 is shown another car which
also created a great deal of excitement when
it appeared on the streets. This car was
called Santa Claus and was designed by Warren
Y. Soper, of the firm of Ahearn & Soper. The
car was used on the street railway tracks at
Ottawa, Ontario, and made its first appearance
on the afternoon before Christmas. For some
days before Christmas the company caused
letters to appear in the newspapers dated at
various pOints between the North Pole and
Ottawa. These letters stated that Santa Claus
with his reindeer would appear in Ottawa on the
afternoon before Christmas and were signed by
Santa Claus himself. The result was that an
immense crowd gathered along the street railway
tracks at the stated time and the car met with
an enthusiastic reception. The car was covered
with imitation snow and ice, and on the top was
placed a representation of Santa Claus with his
reindeer and sleigh filled with toys of every
description. The car was filled with various
kinds of toys. The motorman and conductor were
dressed as Icelanders and an Eskimo stood
beside the motorman and played a cornet
throughout the trip. As the car proceeded
oranges were thrown to the children along the
celebrated the Christmas of 1896 in our capital
city. The photograph which formed the cover of the December,
1960, News Report was, however, taken in 1897. Thus the practice
appears to have originated in 1896 and was continued at least to
1897, and perhaps longer. Perhaps one of our members with access
to contemporary Ottawa newspapers would care to look this matter
up, find the letters referred to, and perhaps ascertain the years
in which this special car operated.
The article also implies that in 1896 Santa Claus was
not portrayed by a real person; whereas the caption to the photo
graph states that Santa Claus was played by none other than Warren
Y. Soper himself. Perhaps in the previous year Mr. Soper did not
allow himself enough time to acquire a sufficiently barbate
LAST IIUN OF No. 5114
NORTHERN ALBERTA MODEL
RAILROADERS CLUB FAN TRIP
CD;; Canadian Nalional Railways
_ COACH CLASS-RETURN
NFrom … e.~ …..
e.D 0 ……………………………………………………. & Ret.
C> AUDIT CHECK-Not Good for Papage
-…l Thill check murt be detached and punched
L…….O. by FIRST CDNDUCTOR and forwarded ;!.h his
A most successful railway
excursion was operated out of
Edmonton, Alta., on Saturday,
October 28th, by a number of
miniature railway enthusiasts
who comprise the Northern Alber
ta Model Railroaders. The train
attracted some 460 passengers,
and was operated from Edmonton
to Camrose, Alta., via Bretville
Jct., New Sarepta, Hay Lakes and Armena,
54.5 miles. The 109-mile
round trip was pulled by Canad
ian National 4-6-2 No. 5114, which was
to service to operate the excur
sion. The individuals primarily
responsible for operating this
excursion were Mr. Gordon Kil
burn, and Professor Eric II. John
son of the University of Alberta
assisted by a number of friends.
Canadian National Railways coop
erated fully and sympathetically
with the excursion, and a par
ticularly impressive reception
was sponsored at Camrose by the
towns Chamber of Commerce.
special train, which
comprised No. 5114, a steam gen
erator car, a baggage car, eight
passenger cars and an official
car, left Edmonton at 10:00 Ar-1,
after having been on display in
the station for about an hour
preceding departure. The trip
was adequately endowed with many
motorcaders, in particular at
the railway crossing with High
way 16 near Clover Bar Bridge,
where there was nearly a mile of
parked cars waiting for the spe-
cial to pass. The sponsors of
the tr~p had obtained special
permiss10n from civic authorit
ies in Edmonton to allow the
engine whistle to be blown with
in the limits of the city, and
the familiar noise drew many
spectators. A moving picture
run was held at Armena, Alta.
The special train arrived
at Camrose at 12:35PM, to be met by some 400
citizens of that
town, a brass band and a recep
tion which included a chuck wagon meal
at the Agricultural
Building, all of this sponsored
by the Chamber of Commerce. The
passengers were also taken on
tours of the town by autolIDbile.
No. 5114s water supply was re
plenished during the interval
by the Camrose fire department.
The return trip to Edmonton was
made non-stop, except for
operating purposes, and the ret
urn to Edmonton was marked by a
large crowd of Edmontonians, who
photographed the engine and tr
ain and congratulated the engine
crew, Engineman M. Stefanyk and
Fireman J. Dunphy.
the passengers on
board comprised local people
from Alberta for the most part,
rail enthusiasts from as far
away as Saskatoon, Vancouver and
Seattle participated. With the
train booked to capacity, over
100 passengers were turned away
at the station on the morning of
On board the train, SOUi
irs were distributed in the fo~nl
of a booklet by the sponsors,
a special ticket and sample cop
ies of the train orders. The
staff of the Camrose Canadian
distributed a special edition of
Our congratulations go to
the energetic and enterprising
individuals whose efforts made
the trip possible. It is to be hoped
that the encouragement
they received at the hands of
the public will cause them to
consider undertaking a further
outing or outings of this type
in the future.
Tk WINTER T~
Railway schedules underwent their regular autumn pruning on Oct
ober 29th; continuing the trend in recent years, some services were
POOL SERVICES (CANADIAN NATIONAL-CANADIAN PACIFIC)
In the CN-CP pool zones, the Montreal-Quebec CP service was reduced
by one week end train in each direction, with the elimination of
No.149 on Saturday and No.150 on Sunday. Between Montreal and
Toronto., the regular day train No.14 is now replaced on Sundays by a
faster service, No.114, which performs the trip in one hour ~
than on weekdays. The night services between Montreal and Toronto
have also been affected s~ightly –Saturday night departures from
Montreal (No.21) and from Toronto (No.22) have now been combined
with Ottawa-Toronto night services (33 and 34, westbound and east
bound, respectively) betweep Toronto and Smiths Falls, running via
Peterboro. There is thus no Saturday night train service on the
CP via Trenton.
CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY
Between Toronto and Chicago trains 19 and 20 have been eliminated.
Some slight changes in the Toronto-Peterboro scheduling have been
made with trains 388 and 389 affording a new evening round trip
between those cities on Saturdays. An attempt by CP to remove the
Ottawa valley local passenger service between Ottawa, Carleton
Place and Chalk River is now under review by the Board of Transport
Commissioners. Service between Toronto and Owen Sound has been
reduced to one daily round trip based on Owen Sound. • ••• In the
west, the only significant change has been the removal of trains
13 and 204 between Moose Jaw and North Portal, Sask., eliminating
passenger service completely, at least for the winter.
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
The Maritime Express, trains 3 and 4, now operates daily except
Sunday between Montreal and Moncton, NE, only. To replace it bet
ween Moncton and Halifax, CN have inaugurated new Railiner RDC
services, trains 610-606 eastbound and 607-609 westbound. Train
No.59, The Scotian, now has an evening departure from Halifax
instead of in the morning as heretofore. Trains 625 and 626 daily
except Sunday between Moncton and Campbellton, trains 633-635 and 636 between
Levis and Riviere-du-Loup, and trains 31 and 32 between Campbellton and
Riviere-du-Loup have all been withdrawn. Rai1iner
service 631 and 632 (Riviere-du-Loup to Levis) has been extended to
Mont Joli to replace 31 and 32. • •••• On the Montreal-Portland ser
vice, trains 16 and 17 will run from Montreal to Island Pond, Vt.,
and return only, the service through to Portland being restricted
to the summer season. Trains 643 and 644 running between Lyster,
and Quebec, have had schedules altered to allow for an afternoon,
rather than a morning departure from either terminal. Motor trains
621/622 (Senneterre-Noranda/Rouyn) have been upgraded to regular
trains 21/22. Similar improvement has taken place between Senne
terre and Chibougamau with trains 197/198 once weekly and a mixed
train on one other weekday~ replacing tri-weekly mixed services.
On the GTW, trains 74 and /9 (daily-except-Sunday) have been cut.
New services trains 695/696 between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, re
place eliminated trains 101-102 (Ex.Sun.) and 107-108 (daily) bet-
a ••• w.1f
Recently, an agreement was signed
between the Federal Government, Can
adian National Railways and Pine Point
Mines Limited, a subsidiary of Consol
idated Mining & Smelting Co. Limited,
which holds extensive lead-zinc depos
its at Pine Point, N. W. T., on the south
shore of Great Slave Lake. The agree
ment provided for the construction of
a 438-mile railway from a point near
Grimshaw, Alta., on the Northern Alb
erta Railways, to Pine Point, via Hay
River. This fall, the survey, which has
been under the direction of Major J.L.
Charles, of Winnipeg, was completed.
Gerald W. Baldwin, ly1.P. for Peace
River, said that there is a strong poss
ibility that contracts for clearing the
right-of-way will be let before the win
ter is over, thus perlnitting construc
tion to start next spring.
The proposed railway, scheduled to
·be completed b!fore the end of 1965,
will bring into production a mine at
Pine Point which will initially increase
the gross national product by $25,000,
000 annually, and increase production
in lead-zinc ore, as time goes on. It
will also open up the last great reserve
of arable land in North America, as
well as large stands of timber and pulp.
The cost of the railway, approxim
ately $85,000,000, will be contributed
by the Federal Governmentj the mining
company will guarantee freight charges
on at least 215,000 tons of concentrates
annually, for ten years, at $7.50 a ton.
The 438-mile route, which has been
under survey since last January by a
staff of approximately 40 men, working
out of a temporary headquarters at
Peace River, Alta., begins on the north
side of the Peace River between Grim
shaw and Roma and extends 385 miles
to Hay River, a community of about
1,200 on the south shore of Great. Slave
Lake. Seven major rivers will be cr
ossed: the Notikewin, Hotchkiss, Meikle,
Kemp, Upper Hay, Lower Hay and the
Buffalo. The most difficult crossing is
expected to be at the Meikle River, in
volving a bridge more than 100 feet in
height, and of an as yet undetermined
length. The general terrain along the
route is said to be quite favourable to
railway construction, though there are
some areas of muskeg to be crossed.
From Hay River, the railway will ex
tend 53 miles to Pine Point, on a route
ranging from 3~ to 10 miles south of the
south shore of Creat Slave Lake. This
route follows the old shoreline of the
lake, which existed in early geological
Construction of the railway will be
fa cili ta ted by the clos e proximity of the
Mackenzie Highway, upon which const
ruction materials may be brought in in
Contd Next Page
ween Tor~nto and Niagara Falls. Other trains removed include 88
(ex Sun.·) and 91 (Ex.Sat.) between Niagara Falls and Hamilton and 92 (ExSat.&
Sun.) between Hamilton and Toronto. Bet1een Lond~n and
Toronto, No.16 becomes No.20 ( Between Toronto and North Bay,
trains 41 and 44 !except Sunday) will operate between
Toronto and Huntsville only. Between Jasper and Prince Rupert, one
hour has been added to the schedule of No.195 westbound and one
half hour to the opposite service, Train 196. Between Prince Al
bert and Hudson Bay, Sask., Nos.15 and 16 have been replaced by a mixed
train. Similarly, regular trains between Kamloops Jet and
Kelowna have been replaced by Dayliner RDC services.
ALGOMA CENTRAL & HUDSON BAY RAILWAY
Daily-except-Sunday passen~er service between SaUlt Ste. Marie and
Hearst (Trains 1,2,3 and 41 have been lessened to trains land 2
thrice weekly between the Soo and Hawk Jet., and trains 3 and 4
four times a week between Hawk Jet. and Hearst.
The following money donations to
the Museum Fund are gratefullyack
Mr. William W. Poley ……… $
Mr. Francis P. Gorha,n …. ..
Mr. Michael Bould ………… .
Mr. D.L.B. McColl ……….. .
Dr. John A. Corrigan ……… .
Mr. R.B. Graham ………….. .
Mr. Lawrence C. Hart. ……… $ 25.00 Mr. Charles B. MacDonald,Jr.
Dr. C.D. Shortt………………. 5.00 Mr. Edward Pfannkuche ……
Mr. D. Guigue ………………. .
Mr. W.T. Ritchie ………….. ..
Mr. N. T. Walton ………….. ..
Mr. A.L. Hamilton ………… ..
Mr. J.A. McEachran ……… ..
Mr. C.E. Morshead ………… .
Mr. W.C. Seaton ……………. .
Mr. C. Warren Anderson …. ..
Mr. LL. Looney ………….. ..
Mr. Roger Lefebvre ……… ..
Mr. Hamilton E. Pease ……. .
Mr. David H. Cope …………. .
Mr. Lawrence C. Hart (2nd
donation) ……… ..
Mr. Donald McClain ………. ..
Dr. Philip R. Hastings ……. ..
Mr. W. Lupher Hay ……….. .
Mr. Norman S. Eighmy, Jr., ..
Mr. Richard M. Binns …….. .
Mr. Lawrence Meloling ….. ..
Mr. Charles W. Campbell, Jr.
Dr. O.M. Solandt ………….. ..
Mr. Philip C. Myers ………. .
Mr. William O. Ashe ………. .
Mr. Francis D. Kirlin ……. ..
Mr. Kenneth C. Fincham …. ..
Mr. F. Benger …………….. ..
Mr. Delbert Matanin …….. ..
Mr. W.H.N. Rossiter ………. .
Mr. Howard P. Sell ……….. ..
Mr. E. Everett Edwards ….. .
Mr. Barker Gunmore, Jr., … .
Mr. David L. Ross ……….. ..
Mr. Peter Lyon …………….. .
Mr. H. Alfred Solomon, Jr., ..
Mr. J.H. Easton …………… ..
Mr. William D. Gray ……… ..
Mr. J.A. Collins …………… ..
Mr. John Cooshek …………. ..
Mr. Bruce Dunn ……………. .
Mr. Raymond G. Dickenson, Jr.
Mr. Charles E. Winters …… .
Mr. Donald Steinmeyer …… ..
Mr. Donald S. Robinson ….. ..
Mr. D.V. Dennis ………….. ..
Mrs. Honora Dufresne ……. .
Mr. Gordon W. Dickinson …. .
Mr. Charles Viau …………. ..
Mr. Albert Modler ………… .
Mr. Robert Burns ………… ..
Mr. Harvey Dust ………….. .
Mr. William J. Dixon ……… .
Mr. T.F. McIlwraith, Jr., …. .
Mr. F.W. Gallagher ……….. .
Mr. Christopher A. Evers .. ..
Mr. H.A. Henderson ………. .
Mr. John W. Riggs ………… .
Mr. Charles Harwood, Jr., .. .
Mr. Roger T. Holroyd …….. .
Mr. Edward Benson ……… ..
Mr. Donald F. Angus ……… .
Mr. LL. Porter …………… .
Mr. William G. Carruthers .. .
Mr. W. Bailey ……………. ..
Mr. Elliott Donnelley …….. ..
Mr. Frederick F. Angus …. ..
Mr. Frank Binns ………….. .
Mr. L.E. Johns ……………. .
Mr. Cornelius W. Hauck …. ..
Mr. J.B. Porteous ………… ..
Mr. Richard T. Braun …….. .
Mr. D.C. Domino …………… 5.00
TOTA L …………………….. $1~83-9~14
GRAND TOTAL …………… $ 16,299.14
5.00 Contd from Page 177
advance of the railhead. Curiously, wh
ile the railway is to be built by Canadian
National Railways, the chief beneficiary
will be Canadian Pacific Railway, who
are majority stockholders in Consolid
ated Mining & Smelting Company Ltd.,
at whose smelter in Trail, BC, the Pine
Point ore will be processed.
Notes and News
t An application has been made by the recently-dieselized Lake
Erie & Northern Railway, a subsidiary of Canadian Pacific Rail
way, to abandon that portion of its line extending from Simcoe
to Port Dover, Ont., 7.0 miles.
t A track diversion on the Grand River Railway, between Preston
and Waterloo, Ont., went into operation at 12:01 AM, Sunday,
November 12th, 1961. This diversion was apparently partially
responsible for the recent decision to discontinue electric
locomotives on the GRR and its associate, the Lake Erie & Nor
thern Railway, which was put into effect early in October. ,The
new line has the effect of lengthening the GRR Vlaterloo Subdiv
ision by 6/10 of a mile, while utilizing 1.7 miles of Canadian
National trackage as a joint section. Stations discontinued are
at Freeport Sanatorium, mile 7.8; Centreville, mile 9.4; and
Courtland Avenue, mile 11.9. Stations on the new diversion are
at Parkway, mile 9.9; South Junction (CNR joint section), mile
11.3; and North Junction (CNR joint section), mile 13.0. Oper
ation over the joint section will give exclusive right of track
to each railway within designated times, which are to be posted.
:A: On November 6th, a sales agreement was Signed between Nontreal
Locomotive Works Limited and the Republic of Argentina, whereby
the Montreal firm will supply some 70 diesel-electric locomotives
to the Argentine state railways. The order, for some $14 million
was Signed by Sr. Angel Ernesto Peluffo, Ambassador of the Repub
lic of Argentina, and Mr. W.F. Lewis, the President of MLW. Other
Canadian companies which will participate in the order as prin
Cipal equipment suppliers include Canadian General Electric, and
Dominion Engineering Limited.
t From the United States comes news that among the railroads which
are considering mergers are the Pennsylvania and New York Cen
tral systems. Union of these two carriers would result in what
is claimed to be the worlds largest railway system.
DIESELIZATION OF THE SYDNEY & LOUISBURG RAILWAY
The Sydney & Louisburg Railway has been completely dieseliz
ed. The last major stronghold of the steam locomotive has now
followed in the steps of other Canadian common carriers with the
recent purchase of six second-hand diesel locomotives, bringing to
twelve the number of such locomotives purchased from United States
carriers in the last year. A Canadian Press dispatch from Glace
Bay, NS, reporting the step, indicated that 0-8-0 type S&L engines
88 and 90 were the last in service, about November 20th, and a
photo of No. 90 under steam was circulated with the dispatch. The new
diesels include six 1000-HP road-switchers from the Wisconsin
Central (Nos.2360,2362,2364,2365,2366) and one 660 HP switcher from
the Chicago & North Western RR (no.1202). All were apparently rec
eived by the Sydney & Louisburg on November 6th, 1961. The ot~er
six diesels purchased by the S&L, in October 1960, are S&L Nos. 203-208
inclusive (ex Minneapolis & St. Louis 201,219,205,200,202,
217 in that order), all 1000-HP road switchers. A further M&StL
unit, No.20B, was bought by S&L in March 1961 for spare parts. All
are Alco engines, the C&NW one built in 1940, the M&StL ones built
in 1944-47 and the Wisconsin Central units constructed in 1950-51.
Page 180 C.R.H.A. News Report
:A: Plans to discontinue Dayliner
train service by Canadian Pacif
ic Railway between Ottawa and Chalk River, Ont., have been pro
tested by merchants and town councils along the line affected.
The Board of Transport Commissioners for Canada will hold a hear
ing at Pemb.roke on December 12th, before coming to a decision.
Trains 260, 265 and 267 are affected.
:A: Six 4,000 h.p. diesel-hydraulic locomotives, which were ordered
some time ago by two United States railroads from Krauss-Maffei
A.G., of Munich, German Federal Republic, recently underwent
tests on the Semmering Pass line of the Austrian Federal Rail
ways. The locomotives, intended for the Denver & Rio Grande
Western RR, and the Southern Pacific system, are valued at $350,
000 each, and are said to mark the first time in nearly fifty
years that U.S. railroads have purchased locomotive equipment
abvoad. U.S. firms are supplying certain major components.
:A: On Wednesday, October 25th, 1961, the Historic Sites and Monu
ments Board of the Canadian government Department of Northern
Affairs and National Resources, unveiled a plaque in honour of
Sir William C. Van Horne at Canadian Pacifics Windsor Station
in Montreal. The plaque was unveiled by Mrs. William Van Horne,
daughter-in-law of Sir William, and the speakers included Hon.
Walter Dinsdale, Minister of Northern Affairs and Natural Res
ources, Hon. Pierre Sevigny~ Associate Minister of National De
fence, and ~tr. N.R. Crump, vhairman and President of the Canad
ian Pacific Railway. CRHA was represented by our PreSident, Dr.
Robert V.V. Nicholls.
i Recently, demolition crews descended on the Canadian Pacific
Railways original Pacific coast terminal, at Port Moody, B.C.
The station, which was the scene of the arrival of the first
passenger train from the east, just seventy-five years ago last
July, ceased to be the Pacific terminal less than a year later,
when, in May 1887, an extension was opened into Vancouver. It
continued to serve Port Moody until recent years, when it was moved from
its site a short distance westward, to serve a sugar
refining company, then as an office of an oil company.
!:!EWS REP9RI: Published eleven times annually by the Publications
Committee, Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
EDITORIAL ADDRESS: P.O. Box 22, Station B, Montreal 2, Canada.
CHA IRMAN, PUBLICA TIONS
COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
Orner S.A. Lavallee
John W. Saunders
Robert Half yard
PRINTED IN CANADA
ON CANADIAN PA.PER