Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 037 1953

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 037 1953

NEWS REPORT ~1
SEPTE1 CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION Inc.
NOTICE
OF MEETING:
The September meeting of the Association
will be held in the Transportation Building at 8:00 PN, Vled­
nesday, September 9th, +953. The Transportation Building is
located at 159 Craig Street lest, next to the M.T.C. Craig
Terminus, and the final decision upon whether meetings will be
held here, or at the Queens Hotel will be voted on at the
September meeting. Entertainment in the form of coloured slides
will be provided.
FALL FOLIAGE EXCURSION
Early in July, the Trip Committee issued
a circular respecting an Open House weekend to be held in con­
junction with the Annual Fall Foliage Excursion, on October 3rd
and 4th. A very comprehensive programme is beine arranged, and
it will include a visit to Pointe St. Charles Shofs of the CNR,
a visit to the 1-1ontreal Transportation Commission s Youville
Shop, where a number of interesting pieces of rolling stock vlill
be on display and in operation, and an evening of moving pic­
tures and slides at a location to be announced. Un Sunday, the
trip will be made via Canadian Pacific Railway
to Labelle in
the Laurentian mountains, and the customary photo stops, vmich
have made the fall trips so popular in the past, will be made
at several pOints of scenic interest. The ~hop trips will take
place on Saturday, October )rd, while the mountain trip /il1 be
on Sunday, the 4th. ~r those interested in the electric rail­way
feature, the visit to the HTC shop, the Committee is arrang
­ing to have f.1TC 11200, the only remaining operating Birney car in
Canada, on view and in operation, and it is hoped as lel1 to have
the Associations car, #274, in operation as well. An opportunity
will be provided for a tour of the shop buildings and area.
Fare for the weekend is ~7.50 complete.
For the Sunday trip only –~5.00. You are co
rdially invited to
come and bring your family and friends but, n~ l:!!e you to r.:.ake
your reservation early, elF t~-.a acco …. )d,tioll .:.~ limited. Cheques
or r.loney orders should accompany reservations, payable to the
Association, and they should be sent to:
Trip Committee, C.R.H.A. Inc.,
:3 Prospect Straet,
1estmount, Que.
———
————————————
THE SAINT LAWRENCE &. AT!.ANTIC CEN~;~HY
0.1 .,j,:ltlL J,,-J, J ….. y lStj!, ~,he P:-esiJeHt
of the Association, Mr. O.S.A. Lavallee represented the organiz­
atiorl at the o;lservance of the centenary of t…he first through
train running :)etween !-1ontreal and Portland, Me. Sponsored by
Canadian
IJational Railways
, a special train was operated
from
Montreal
to Coaticook,
with stops at Richmond and
Sherbrooke
,
in conjunction
with civic ceremonies
at these pmaces. The
special train was pulled by engine 5300, and consisted
of a
baggage car, tl0 air-conditioned
coaches, which were the mecca
of all delegates
on account of the 100
0
temperature,
the Gener­
al Superintendents
business
car, and the business
car of the
President
of the National
System, folr. i)onald Gordon, who headed
the CNR group ami participated
in the ceremonies.
On the outward trip, the train spent
several
hours at Richmond,
Nhile the delegates
and citizens
viewed a very interesting
and orir,inal
historic
parade, depict­
ing s€.:vcII;ll
events in the life of the tov.1l and the surrounding
area, and including
many interesting
exhibits,
bullock
carts,
tractors,
fire fighting
equipment,
a replica of a Bleriot biplane
and a locomotive
replica,
to name a few. After the parade,
the onlookers
adjourned
to the park., where a monument was
unveil­
ed marking the centenary
of the operation
of the first through
train over this line to Portland,
on May 18th, 1$53. Addresses
were made by Gaston Desmarais,
Q.C., the llIayor of Richmond, and Mr.
Gordon, and the monument was
unveiled
by the oldest CNR
pensioner
at Richmond,
Mr. George
Hall.
After a luncheon at the hotel, the
train proceeded
to Coaticook,
where a cocktail
party was given
at the Hotel Child. The group returned
to Sherbrooke
and a
centenary
dinner at the New Sherbrooke Hotel, before returning
to Montreal
.
The
Canadian
National
Railways
r-1useum Train was e.xhibited
at Richmond
starting
July 18th, and
afterward
proceeded
to Portland,
l.Iaine, with stops en route.
There Ias an impressive
celebration
at Portland
in mid-Aufust
with many promi
nent state, civic and rail officials
in attendance
.
The l1useum
Train returned
to f40ntreal
on August 22nd} and
left for Torohto on the 23rd, to be exhibited
at the Canadian
National
Exhibition.
NEVI PAaSENGER
CAR. PROGRAMME
LAUNCHED
BY CANADIAN
PACIFIC.
During the summer, Canadian
Pacific
Railway took a step, long-awaited
in Canadian
passenger
service,
by placing a ~3$,OOO,000 order for new, lightweight,
passenger
equipment
. The order is to be supplied
by the Budd Company
of
Philadelphia,
Fa., and
,,1111 include 155 units of passenger
train
equipment,
enough to supply fifteen complete
trains. The cars
will be utilized
to re-equip the transcontinental
service.
Po
ssibly of most interest
to the rail­
riding public will be the provision
of thirty six nSconic-Dome
cars, similar to the dome cars presently
in use on United States
lines. Eighteeri of the cars will be coach-bu£fet-observation,
while the remainder of the dome cars will be sleeper-lounge­
observation. The last-mentioned cars will be named in the View
series, with names of national parks, such as FUNDY VIEVl, BANFF
VIEIJ, etc. The order also includes eighteen dining cars, sevent,y­
one sleeping cars, providing all types of open and enclosed
space, from sections to drawing-rooms, and thirty day coaches.
A new departure in Canadian railway meal service t,dll be the pro­
vision of a buffet service in the dome coaches, to provide rest­
aurant service at lower prices.
Presumably, the train will be hauled
by diesel-electric locomotives throughout the route, and although
the Companys policy with regard to the scheduling has not been
announced, it is to be expected that the service will be speeded
up from the present three-day and four-night journey between
!4ont real and Toronto, and the Pacific.
Delivery of units in the new order
will start in 1954. If the trains are given the rescheduling so
desperately needed, they will be enabled to compete with parallel
United States lines and offer to the United States tourist, one more
alternative route linking the east and west through what is
admittedly some of the best mountain scenery on the Continent.
TORONTO JUBlAY. CARS ARRIVE
On July 26th, cars 5000 and 5001 of
the Toronto Transportation Commission were unloaded from the
freighter Ndw ·York City of the Bristol City Dominion Line, and
placed on two specially equipped Grand Trunk lestern flat cars
at r,lontreal Harbour. They are the first two units to arrive
from the Gloucester Carriage and lfagon Works, Gloucester, England. More
than a hundred more of the cars will be received by the TTC
to thoroughly equip Toronto
s
(and Canadas) first rapid-transit
subway. In the beginning of August, four more units were recei­
ved in Toronto. The cars have a very distinctive British appear­
ance, and are painted red with gold numbers, and black underbody.
It is understood that cars 5000 and 5001
will be exhibited at the Canadian National Exhibition, in a
mock-up of a subway stat ion J and ,..,rill be puled over surface
tracks from TTC Hillcrest Shops to the CNE groundse This move
will be made at night to avoid undue disruption of traffic.
A Nontreal paper was led to comment
that Montrealers might examine them well while they have the
opportunity, as they are liable t.0 be the only s.uhw.::..y-….. ·;u·c t.o-hl.:
seen in that city for a long timee
ITjo,~lS OF INTER~ST
While no official announcement has been made, there are indicat~
ions that Canauian Pacific Raih.,ray has, or will shortty, pl.4rchn.5?
four nDC cars, a product of the Budd Company. If the cars are
purchased, presumably they Hi 11 be placed in service on the
Toront-London, {{arth Bay-Angliers and r.1ontreal-r·1ont Laurier rrr..:,
since application studies for these lines VJere ma.de by the rail­
way company J 1hen Budd demonstrator car 2960 was borroled last
winter.
fleplacement of street cars for busses, contemplated by the r.1on··
treal £ransportation Commission for Saint Denis Street in J.1ontr­
cal, is scheduled to take place on rlovember 8th. Uhen this
plan is carried out, it -Till serve to isolate the northern sec­
tion of the St. Denis routes, as cars .,.ill remain on the priva
t
,=
right-of-way section between Cremazie and Nontreal Nord. Re-:.lacc­
ment of this portion by busses will not be made before Perras
Boulevard and other streets are paved, in the north end. It is
expected that some form of terminal. facilities will be provided
to transfer from busses to cars and vice versa at or near Emile­
Journault street, but final plans have not been completed.
August 29th will see the end of service on Church Avenue I Nonk
Boulevard and Allard street in Verdun and Ville Emard. Cars
will be replaced by a number of autobus routes. Tracks will be
left in place on Church A.venue and the Cote St. Paul bridge to
give access to the St. Paul Division carhouse, on Church Avenue.
In the St. Denis replacement, no plans for track removal have
as yet been made, but it is expected that trackage will be left
on St. Denis Street between St.Denis carhouse and Cremaxie to
return cars on the isolated route to the carhouses, and give
access to Youville Shop from the rest of the system.
On June 21st, 1953 cars on the St. Catherine & /indsor routes
us ing Uestminster Avenue in Montreal
Jest, were replaced by the
Cote St. Luc autobus route, and all cars now turn at Elmhurst
Loop at Montreal lest Station. Replacement was made because
traffic did not justify retention of the line beyond Elmhurst
Loop, which consist~d of a single track with passinF siding.
Noted in lIIontreal August 24th were five diesel-electric road
IrA
IJ
units, built by General Motors Diesel Ltd., at London for
the C;ast Bengal Hailway in Pakistan. The units are built to the
metre gauge, and are painted bright green with r,old striping.
They bear road numbers 2000-2004, and builderS serial A443-A447.
They are tiestined to sail from Montreal for Chittagong on the
freighter City of Durham on August 28th. A further e;roup is
scheduled to be sent on the City of Liverpool on September 28th.
Engine 22 of the former Quebec Ry. Light & Power Co., a 2-6-0
type steam locomotive built by the Montreal works in 1928, arrived
at CNR Val Royal storage yard, presumably for scrapping, on
August 16th. It is reported that the engine had not been used
since 1940. It had been assigned cn number 429, but carried #22.
STR;;~T RAILIIAYS OF !:,ASTERN CANADA -VII Ho bert R. Brown
NEVI 311UNSVlICK POtIER COMPANY (Saint John)
In 1866, franchises were p:rantcd to David flase for a street
raih,ay to serve the city of Saint John and the town of Portland.
(Portland was that part of Saint John betv/een the Union Station
and the Reverzing Falls). The line was completeo in 1870 and it
extended from ~~arket Square, at the foot of King Street, via Dock:
Mill and Main Streets to the steamboat wharf at Indiantown.
Seven years later, Saint John was destroyed by fire and the stree
r,
rail1ay was abandoned. Probably most of the cars were burned.
In 1886, the abandoned property was bou~ht by John F. Zebley
of New York, who organized the Saint John City Hailway. The old
line haS rehabilitated and estended to the south end via Prince
~lilliam and St. James Streets to Carmarthen street. Eight new
horse cars Jere boufht from John Stephen:;;on Co. of NevI Yorklf. and
a nE::W carbarn and stable … a5 built at Indiantown, where the
Forum is presently situated (140 Hain Street).
In 1891, the Saint John City Railvlay amalgamated with the
bastern Electric Company as the Consolidated Electric Company,
and proposed to electrify the street raihJay. Electrification was
completed in 1893 and twelve second hand electric cars were
bought in Chelsea Ferry (bast Boston). They were old Stephenson
horse cars equipped with motors. uurine the two months following
the acquisition of the electric cars, it was found that the horse
car plate rails …. ere too light for the electric cars. Service was
suspended for tvlO months vlhile new 1fT rails Vlere laid. At the
same time, a new line was built from 1·1 rket Square, up King Street
hill, and then by way of Charlotte, Union and Prince Edward stre­
ets to the Haymarket.
As a result of bankruptcy, the company las sold at public
auction in 1894, and its vlaS purchased by James Ross and Sir
William Van Horne, , … ho then organized the Saint John Railway Co.
In 1900, a sin~le track line was built on Douglas Avenue, from
Nain Street to the CPR corssinr near the Suspension bridge, and
a south end loop on Charlotte, Duke, Pitt, Mecklenburg and ~lent­
worth Streets constructed, joining the old line on St. James
Street. In 1902, a line was built on City Road and Paradise Row
from Haymarket to Mill Street, thus completing the Haymarket Belt
Line. The Douglas Avenue line was very popular and in 1903, six
large double truck cars were bought from the Montreal Park & Isl­
and Railway to operate on this route. Douglas Avenue had been
opened only a few years before and was graded with sawdust from
the mills on the Portland shore, which made a very unsatisfactory
foundation for the trackj this was apparent, even forty years later.
In 1905 another south end loop was built from Charlotte St.,
via Princess, ~lentworth, ICing, Pil:.t and Britain Streets, to Prince
William Street.
The suburb of Carleton (How known as West Saint John) was
growing rapidly, so in November 1905, the Saint John Railway
bought the Carleton Electric Light Co. The first line, complete<:
in 1906, extended fro!TI the end of the Rodney ferry harr, via
Union, Kinp:, Ludlow and Prince Streets, Tiltons Corner, Lancas­
ter Avenue, SLnm 5 Corner and doWIl Bridge Road to the west side
of the Suspension Brid~e. For the next ten years, there was no
physical connection between the city and the west side lines, but
passengers could transfer by wa1kine o.cr055 the Suspension Bridg<.,
When cars h2d to be transferred, they were shunted across by the
CPR between tha Jouflas Avenue crossinr and Simms Corner. Thero:!
were no actual rail conncctio71s and the cars had to be bounced
off the track of one and on to the rails of the other, on each
side of the river. The west side carbarn was built on Union
Street, opposite Duke S7.rLet, on the site of the old Carleton
Power Hou.s€.
In 1907, three new lines were built on the west side. The
Queen Square Belt Line started from the Rodney ferry wharf, then
via -.finslow, LudIo,,!, Tower, Lancaster, St. James and Union Streete,
and back to the ferry wharf. The Fairville line Jas built from
SimIns Corner out Ilain street to the corner of Church Street.
Another line was built from Tiltons Corner down Havelock Avenue
t~) Seaside Park. This line Has very popular in swmner a!1d the
bathing oeach, restaurants and other amusements attracted thous­
ancs. The station at the park as a large pavilion, and four cnrs
could run right inside.
In
1912, a line was built from the Haymarket, out Thorne
Avenue to hane 5 Corner in C:ast Jaint John, and a year later, a
ne …. ; car barn was built em Wentworth ~Street, at thu corn.-1. jf St. James. Upon
the outbreak of Uorld Jar I, military security required
thf; abandonment of part of the Queen Square Belt Line across the
r·hll Pond and up St. James Street. In 1915, a line .as built out
Rothesay Road to Three Mile House and the ii:ast Saint John line
was extended to the school The new bridre over the Reversing
Falls was opened on January 1st, 1916, and cars began running
between the city and t.he west side.
un l·larch 1st, 1917, the Saint John Raih ….. .s.y was sold to the
New Bruns1;!ick Power Co., controlled by the Federal Light & Trac­
tion Co., of I~ew York. Later in the same year, the Rothesay Ave. l
ine was exte~ded to Glen Falls. In 1920, the Seaside Park line
was abandoned and the rails and wire used to extend the East St. J
ohn line to the drydock. Shortly after, the rule of the road
was changed fr:::>m left to rieht and the cars ,,,ere rebuilt and
converted for one-man operation. The Fairville line v:as extended
in 1923 to Moo.re s Hill and in 1929 out Manawagonish Road to
i:lanchesters C)rner.
In 1930, the expansion of the Saint John harbour was commen­c.ed
and the tracks were moved fro:!l Union Street to the parallel
Harket Plafe r.:.nd the spur on the ferry uharf abandoned. On
January 11th, 1934, the Queen Square line was abandoned and the
first buz ro;te established and in 1937 the Glen Falls line was
replaced by ausses.
In 1942, the property was sold to the United Services Corp.
of Ilalifax and this sale resulted in prolonged litir;ation. The new
owners were more interested in bus operation and in 1943, the
~outh Lnd, Haymarket Belt and Fairville lineswere abandoned and
replaced by busses. There re:naineo. only a lont line from v/cst
Saint John to cast Jaint John and the oririnal line to Indiantow.~
and even on these routes busses were added during rush hours.
The franchise of the old Company was due to expire on July
31st, 1948 and many mo~ths before that it was no secret that the
renewal could be issued in favour of S.1-1.T. (Eastern) Ltd., a KeN
Brunswick corporation. About that time, some of the N.B.Power
Companys busses were destroyed by fire and although lacking
statutory authority, S.M.T. stepped in and established a rival
service and for several months, the people of Saint John were
treated to the rather unedifying Sig;lt of busses of rival compan··
ies racinf to a corner to pick up the waiting passengers. It
was a miracle that no one was killed. The Nova Scotian operator~
soon realized thrt the contest was a hopeless one, and they pullf>:·.
out early in 1948. The city was in a great hurry to rip up the
rails but the old company fought it out to the bitter end and for
tHO or three months before the expiration of the franchise, car
no. 142 made four trips a day from Kings 3quare to l:lest Saint John
to hold down the rails.
Operating conditions were always difficult in winter because
of the frequent sleet storms and in the early days, the Company
would hire a larre number of coloured men and boys hho would ride
on the front steps of the cars, one on each Dice, and sprir.kle
salt on the rails.
The Company had a surprisingly large number of cars but evi­
dently a large proportion of them were second hand and did not
last long. The cars were anything but comfortable and, because
of the rough track, the jolting and s-Jaying Jas incredible. It
can be said quite truthfully that Saint John is onc city where
the present autobus service is better than the former streetcars.
Rolling Stock: ( c )
( e )
(0)
indicates

numbered consecutively.
even numbers only.
o&d nijmbers only.
1 to 8 (c) Horse cars built 1887 by John Stephenson Co. of
New York. Scrapped 1893.
9 to 20 (c) Horse cars converted to electric operation and
bought in 1893 in Chelsea (East Boston) Mass.
Originally had wooden trolley poles. Scr. c.l900
21 to 29 (c) Single truck double end open cars bought 1894.
Probably built by Ottala Car Co.
(to be concluded next month, with map).
EDITORIAL OFFICE: O.S.A. Lavallee, 6959
De lEpee Ave., ~lontreal 15. Editor.

Demande en ligne