Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 507 2005

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 507 2005

126
ISSN 0008·4875
Postal Permit No. 40066621
CANADIAN RAIL
PUBLISHED BI-MONTHLY
BY THE CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
TABLE OF CONTENTS
M&SCMcGill Street station Peter Murphy ………………………………………………………. 127
Canadas Observation Streetcars (Montreal Peter Murphy …………………………………………… 132
Canadas Observation Streetcars (Vancouver)
Henry Ewert ………………………………………….. 143
Canadas Observation Streetcars (Quebec) Jacques Pharand ………………………………………….. 146
Canadas· Observation Streetcars (Calgary) Colin
K. Hatcher ………………………………………….. 149
Canadas Observation Streetcars (Edmonton) Colin
K. Hatcher ……………………………………….. 153
Canadas Observation Streetcars (postcards) Daniel Laurendeau ………………………………………. 155
The Centennial of the PAYE Streetcar Fred F. Angus ……………………………………………….. 158
FRONT COVER: FredAngus caught the afternoon rush hour action at McGill Street station on June 17, 1955, just a mere two days
before the station would close forever (as a station). Car
13 was built by Osgood Bradley in 1926 for the Morris County Traction
company in Morristown,
NI. (It came to the M&SC in 1940 via the OshawaRailway, another CNR electric property).
BELOW Suburban car No. 103 was built by the Ottawa Car Company in 1912 and is ready to load passengers in front of the station
on August
20, 1948, photographer unknown, Peter Murphy Collection.
For your membership in the CRHA, which
includes a subscription to Canadian Rail,
write
to~
CRHA, 110 Rue St-Pierre, St. Constant,
Que. J5A 187
Membership Dues for 2005:
In Canada: $40.00 (including all taxes)
United States: $35.00 in U.
S. funds.
Other Countries: $68.00 Canadian funds. Canadian
Rail is continually in need of news, stories,
historical data, photos, maps and other material.
Please send all contributions to the editor: Fred
F.
Angus, 3021 Trafalgar Avenue, Montreal, P.Q.
H3Y 1 H3, e-mail angus82@aei.ca . No payment can
be made for contributions, but the contributer will be
given credit for material submitted. Material will be
returned to the contributer if requested. Remember
Knowledge is of little value unless it is shared with
others.
EDITOR: Fred F. Angus
CO·EDITOR: Douglas N.W. Smith
ASSOCIATE EDITOR (Motive Power):
Hugues W. Bonin
LAYOUT: Gary McMinn
PRINTING: Procel Printing
DISTRIBUTION: Joncas Post experts
Inc.
The CRHA may be reached at its web site: www.exporail.org or by telephone at (450) 638-1522
JULY -AUGUST 2005 127 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
M&SC McGill St. Station
50
years since the end
of service
By Peter Murphy
Two lonely passengers wait it out inside the M&SCs McGill Street Station (date unknown). Photo, Philip R.
Hastings M.D. Collection, Califomia State RailroadMuseum,
Number 4134.
In the wee hours of Sunday morning, June 19,
1955, Montreal and Southern Counties car 326
departed
for Saint Lambert and points south thus ending 46 years
of interurban service from Montreals McGill Street
Station and over the Victoria Bridge. Service was cut back
to St.
Lambert on the south shore because of alterations
to the Victoria Bridge necessitated
by the construction of
the Saint Lawrence Seaway. The M&SC would only last
another sixteen months, operations ceased entirely on
October 13, 1956 out ofSt. Lambert.
As of 2005, the McGill Street Sta tion has served
for alternate purposes longer than it was a station!
The
original station (half the final size) was openedro service
in 1909 serving M&SC cars that wyed at the COrner of
Grey Nun and dYouville Streets. By 1913 the M&SChad
negotiated running rights with the Montreal Tramways
Company for the one block distance southbound between
dYouville and Common Streets.
Over its lifetime (as a station) McGill
Street
terminal served suburban cars to Saint Lambert .. and
RAIL CANAmEN • 507
Montreal South-, suburban trains to Mackayville
(Greenfield Park) and interurban trains to Marieville, St.
Angele and Granby. M&SCs Montreal operations
consisted of the station with 4 electrified storage tracks
behind (3 un-electrified tracks used by
CNR), and tracks
running along Common St. and over Blacks (swing)
Bridge.
Then along Mill St. then southbound onto private
right of way, crossing over CNR Montreal Harbour
trackage, bypassing a coal storage area then onto the
Victoria Bridge. Its ironic that you could travel to the
128 JUILLET -AOOT 2005
south shore in rush hour faster on the M&SC than by bus
today!
Fortunately the station has been protected by the
City
of Montreal and has just been remodelled and
recently
opened as Restaurant Pizzaiolle in trendy Old
Montreal. There is little doubt that its future is secure all
be it as a restaurant! For a more detailed account of the
M&SCs Montreal operations please see Canadian Rail
No.
353,June 1981.
By coincidence, another view of car No.1 03 captured in front of the McGill Street Station (date unknown). Photo, Philip R.
Hastings M.D. Collection, California State Railroad Museum,
Number 4130.
JULY -AUGUST 2005 129 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
A three car intentrban train consisting of
motor car 602 (National Steel Car 1913),
trailer 209 (Ottawa
1923) and 609 (Ottawa
1922) crosses over the
CNR harbour
trackage on September
4, 1949, note the coal
pile
on the light and semaphore signals.
Photo courtesy William
D. Middleton,
Negative
C-113.
Car 105 (Ottawa 1912) with its one marker light
has just started crossing the Victoria Bridge from
Montreal heading
to Saint Lambert and points
beyond
on the south shore. Photo, Philip R.
Hastings M.D. Collection, California State
Railroad Museum, Number 4147.

RAILCANADIEN· 507
« La Montreal Street Railway a mis en selvice sur
son reseau
un nouveau modele de tramway-observatoire,
pour leqttel un brevet a ete depose. Nayant pas de toit, Ie
vehiculeest comptetement ouvert et comporte six rangees de
sieges disposes en palier ascendant, de lavant
vers laniere,
afin que tous les passagers puissent avoir une vue degagee
vers lavant. L entree est situee sur la plateforme avant et
une
large altee traverse Ie milieu du vehicule. Des lampes
ilectriques sont
fides sur des tiges de cuivre en forme d arche
et disposees au-dessus du vehicule,
comme lillustre la photo
ci-dessous.
»
134 JUILLET -AOOT 2005
The Montreal Street railway has placed in service
on its line a new type
of observation CG/; for which a patent
has been applied for. The car is quite open, being without a
top,
and is provided with six rows of seats, that in front being
the lowest
and the others each somewhat higher, so that all
passengers can have a full view
of the street ahead. The
entrance
is at the front platform, and a broad aisle runs down
the middle
of the car. Electric lights are displayed on brass
rails, arranged in the form of arches over the car. An
illustration of the car appears below.
Le tramway-obselvatoire (sans numero) a letat neufen 1905. Photo:ArchiveA CHF, Fonds Binns.
Montreal Street Railway observation car (no number) when new in 1905. Photo CRHAArchives, Fonds Binns.
Lobjectif initial de lutilisation de ce type de
tramways etait de proposer, pendant lete, une excursion
en plein air de 10 milles (16 Km) autour des deux
montagnes, Ie Mont-Royal et Ie Mont Westmount.
Comme Ie tarif netait que de vingt-cinq cents, les
tramways-observatoires susciterent Iengouement des
Montrealais de sorte quun deuxieme vehicule fut
construit et mis en service en 1906. Le premier tramway
The initial objective of the cars was to provide
riders with an open air summer rural 10 mile excursion
ride around the two mountains, (Mount Royal and
Westmount mountain). With a fare of twenty five cents,
Montrealers flocked to the car in such numbers that a
duplicate car was constructed and placed into service in
1906.
Until this time the original car carried no number,
when the second car was introduced into service, the
JULY -AUGUST 2005
ne portait pas de numero, mais avec la venue dun
deuxieme vehicule, on lui attribua Ie numero 1, tandis que
Ie second se vit attribuer Ie numero 2.
Ces vehicules inusites furent bientot
affectueusement surnommes les « Ptits chars en or » a
cause de leur carrosserie couleur creme et de leurs
parures
en fer ornemental dore. Leurs itineraires
demeurerent relativement inchanges au cours des annees
pendant lesquelles ils furent en service, tant avec la
Montreal Street Railway quavec la Montreal Tramways
Company.
Les tramways roulaient en boucle, dans Ie sens
contraire des aiguilles
dune montre, en suivant Ie trajet
qui
suit: en direction Est sur la rue Sainte-Catherine,
velS Ie Nord sur IAvenue du Pare, velS lOuest sur la rue
Laurier et sur Ie Chemin de la Cote Sainte-Catherine,
vers
Ie Sud sur la rue Bellingham, vers lOuest sur la rue
Maplewood, vers Ie Sud sur la rue Decelles, vers IOuest
sur Ie Chemin de la Reine-Marie, vers Ie Sud sur la rue
Girouard, vers lEst sur la rue Sherbrooke, vers Ie Sud sur
la rue Greene (maintenant Atwater), puis en direction
Est
une fois de retour sur la rue Sainte-Catherine.
135 CANAmAN RAI L .. 507
original car was numbered 1 and the second car
numbered 2.
Vue de cote du tramway numero 1 (pas
encore
numerote). Photo: Collection Daniel
Laurendeau.
Broadside view
of car No. 1 (as yet un~
numbered). Photo Collection Daniel
Laurendeau.
The sed is tin c t i vee a r s so 0 n be cam e
affectionately known as
Golden Chariots, with their
cream body and gold decorative iron work, they were
aptly named.
Their route remained relatively unchanged
throughout their MSR -MTC service life.
The cars operated in a counter clockwise loop~
east on St. Catherine St., north on Park Avenue, west on
Laurier and Cote Saint Catherine Road, south on
Bellingham, west on Maplewood, south on Decelles, west
on Queen Mary Road, south on Girouard, east on
Sherbrooke, south
on Greene (later Atwater) then again
east
on Saint Catherine Street.
Cette photo realisee a partir d un negatif surplaque de velTe (a
noter: les fissures) est titree : Canadian Press Excursion 1905
Montreal. Comparez
ce tramway avec celui qui Ie suit
delTiere
! Photo: Collection Daniel Laurendeau.
This photo
made from a glass plate negative (notice the crack)
is titled Canadian Press Excursion 1905 Montreal. Compare
this car with the regular open car following! Photo, Daniel
Laurendeau Collection.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
Quel plaisir de voyager a bord de ces tramways!
La douce chaleur du vent dete, la vue panoramique, Ie
bruit et Jaction du trolley ainsi que latmosphere
touristique et detendue faisaient de ces ballades une
experience unique .
.L;Electric
Railway Journal leur consacra
dailleurs un article intitule « Un compte-rendu sur les
tramways-observatoires
a Montreal ». En voici un extrait.
« La Montreal Street Railway Company utilise deux
magnifiques tramways-obselvatoires sur
la ligne quon
nomme Ie Tour-de-la-Montagne. Les vehicules rmtlent tous
les jours en apres-midi et en soiree, incluant
Ie dimanche et
les jours de jetes, lorsque
la temperature Ie permet. lls
partent de [intersection des rues Peel et Sainte-Catherine a
chaque heure
mais aJTetent aussi a dautres endroits a la
demande des usagers. Le parcours traverse les sites les plus
interessants de la ville et du Mont-Royal. La duree est dune
heure etle cOLlt, de 25 cents. Les vehicules sont entierement
ouverts
et, grace a la disposition des sieges en paliers, ils
offient aux passagers une vue completement degagee, quel
que soil Ie siege quoccupent ces derniers. Des lampes
incandescentes colorees, installees sur les arches, rendent les
vehicules attrayants
pour les promenades en soiree.
Le cmlt de construction de ces vehicules fut
denviron 5,500$ chacun et Ie revenu total pour les mois dere
de 1906 atteignit 6,646$, soit une moyenne de 3,323$
par
vehicule. Les salaires payes pour lutilisation des deux
vehicules setablirent approximativement a 753$.
La
moye.nne des
revenus pour une
jo·urnee
or.dinaire etait
denviron 45
cents du mille,
mais.· pouvait
a t:teind.re 60
c e n.t s I e
dimanche et les
joursde fete. Le
coat d entretien
des vehicules
etail negligeable
etan!
donne la
courte peri ode
d utilisation et Ie
fait quilsavaient
ete . ires bien
consttuitsc.»
136 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
Riding the cars was a unique experience, the
warm summer breeze in your face, an unobstructed view
in every direction, the
sound and action of the trolley pole
in plain view and everyone in a relaxed sightseeing mood!
The 1907 Electric Railway Journal carried an
article titled
Observation Car Results in Montreal;
The Montreal Street railway Company operates
two fine obselvation cars
on what is known as the round-the­
mountain-line. The cars
ntn every afternoon and evening,
Sundays
and holidays, weather pelmitting. They pass the
comer of Peel and St. Catherine Streets on the how; but also
stop at otherpoints when signalled. The tlip is through
some
of the most attractive parts of the city and then around Mt.
Royal. The time is one how; and the cost 25 cents. The cars
are built entirely open,
and this, with the steep aJmngements
of the seats, give the passenger an unobstructed view from
any
position Arches of coloured incandescent lamps make
the car attractive also for evening tours.
The construction
of the cars was about $ 5,500
each,
and the total income for the summer months of 1906
was $ 6,645, or about $ 3,323
per car. The total wages paid
for the operation of both cars was approximately $ 753. The
average income on ordinary days is about 45 cents per car
mile, but as high as 60 cents
on Sundays and holidays. As the
cars have been in use
but a shO/t time, the costs of
maintenance and repair has been negligible, and is likely to
remain
so for years to come because they are velY
substantially constructed.
Le tramway-observatoire sur Ie cote nord de la montagne surlavenue Maplewood, qui etait a ce moment la
un droit de passage prive pour une voie secondaire. Photo, Collection Daniel Laurendeau
The obselvation car on the north side of the mountain on M aplewoodAve. which was then a plivate-right-of
way
side-of the-road operation Photo Collection Daniel Laurendeau.
JULY -AUGUST 2005
Au debut des annees 1920, les deux tramways­
observatoires ne re
pondirent plus a la demande et deux
autres vehicules, comportant cette fois une structure en
metal, furent construits aux ateliers de Youville et mis en
service en 1924. Ces vehicules, auxquels
on attribua les
numeros 3 et 4, etaient legerement plus longs. En effet, ils
mesuraient 477 (14,05m) tandis que les vehicules
precedents, dotes dune structure en bois, mesuraient
465 (13,95m).
Les premiers vehicules pesaient 43,700
livre
s. (19,665Kg) alors que les derniers, dont Ie chassis
etait
en metal, avaient un poids de 44,650 livres
(20,092Kg).
Les deux premiers vehicules avaient chacun
deux arches
de cuivre sur lesqueJles etaient installees 15
ampoules lumineuses colorees ainsi quun ecusson en
fonte representant un castor. Les deux derniers avaient
aussi deux arches, mais celles-ci
netaient munies que de 5
ampoules blanches et ne comportaient aucun ecusson.
Mises
a part ces differences minimes, les quatre vehicules
avaient tous un as
pect fascinant Ie soir, alors quils
poursuivaient leur chemin, transportant tant des touristes
que des usagers locaux.
Dans
Ie numero du 24 septembre de la
publication Canadian Railway and
Marine World, on
peut lire cette note: « Un incendie sest declare suite a un
court-circuit electrique
a bord d un tramway-observatoire de
la ligne du Tour-de-Ia-Montagne Ie 25 jUillet dernier et 7
passag
ers furent blesses. » On ne mentionnait pas lequel
des
quatre vehicules avait ete
implique dans cet incident.
En 1930, les quatre
tramways furent equipes de
freins rheostatiques pour
permettre leur utilisation sur
la ligne de la Montagne, qui
presentaient des pentes
abruptes et des courbes
prononcees. Le souci de la
securite des passagers
occupant la partie la plus
elevee du vehicule, lorsque
celui-ci franchissait
Ie tunnel
de 337 pieds creuse dans la
montagne, empecha leur
utilisation reguliere sur ce
circuit. Neanmoins, ils y furent
utilises occasionnellement
pour des excursions nolisees.
137 CANADIAN RAIL 507
By the 1920s even two observation cars were not
enough to handle the
demand and two additional steel
framed cars were built
at the companys Youville shops
a
nd placed into service in 1924. These cars were
numbered 3 and 4 and were slightly longer measuring 47
7 versus the original wooden cars at 46 5.
The original
wooden ca
rs weighed 43,700 Ibs., while the 1924 steel
under framed cars weighed 44,650 lbs.
The original cars each had two brass arches on
which 15 coloured light bulbs were
installed along with a
cast beaver crest.
The latter two cars had the same two
brass arches installed
but with only 5 white light bulbs and
no beaver crests.
Despite the minor differences, all four cars were
a stunning sight at night as they plied their
route loaded
with tourists
and locals alike.
This note
appeared in the September 1924 issue
of Canadian Railway and Marine World: Montreal
Tramways Cos round-the-mountain observation car caught
fire from a short circuit, July 25, and 7 passengers were
injured. They didnt report which car it was.
All four cars were
equipped with dynamic brakes
in 1930 to permit their
operation on the Mountain line,
where steep grades and
sharp curves governed. Safety
concerns for passengers at the higher levels
(rear seats)
when going through
the 337 foot long tunnel precluded
their use
in regular service. They were nevertheless
sometimes
operated there in charter excursion service.
Vue du siege dun passageI sur un tramway-observatoire a lintersection de 1A venue du Parc et
de la rue Prince ArthU/; cetait la meilleure fas;on de voir la ville! Photo par Gabriel Dupuis,
Collection
Daniel Laurendeau.
A pa
ssengers eye view from the observation car on ParkA venue at Prince A rth w; there was no
better
way to see the city! Photo by Gabriel Dupuis, Collection Daniel Laurendeau.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
Le service de tramway-observatoire fut offert
sans
interruption pendant les saisons estivales de 1905 a
1943; puis on Ie suspendit en raison de la Seconde Guerre
Mondiale. Les bogies et les equipements electriques
furent retires des
quatre tramways, puis installes sur des
vehicuIes numerotes
de 1175 a 1178 et fabriques en
catastrophe pour etre mis rapidement en service pour Ie
temps de la guerre. A la fin de la guerre, en 1945, on
install a des roues de 30 pouces (1m) sur les tramways­
observatoires
et ceux-ci retrouverent aussitot leur
vocation premiere.
138 JUILLEr -AOOr 2005
Observation car service continued
uninterrupted in the summer months from 1905 to 1943
when service was
suspended because of the war. The
trucks and electrical gear was removed from the four cars
and installed
on home built cars 1175 to 1178 which were
pressed into wartime service.
The observation cars were
refitted with 30 inch wheels in 1945 and placed back into
service.
Pour une courte periode en 1943, Ie tramway numero 3 Jut affuble de cotes et dune toiture afin daccroftre Ie nombre dusagers
sur les tramways faisant la navette vels Ie site du Noorduyn Aircraft sur Ie Chemin des Bois Francs (a lexte/ieur de la ligne de
Cartie/ville). L expe
rience fut de courte duree et ces cliches, pris Ie 7 juin 1943 sont les seuls co/mus. Photos: COUl10isie de
Anthony Clegg.
For a sh0l1 time in 1943 car No.3 was outfitted with sides and a roof to augment the regular cars shuttling workers to the
NoorduynAircraft Plant on Bois Franc Road (off the Cartie/ville line). This expefiment was short lived and these views, taken on
June 7, 1943 are the only ones known to exist. Photos courtesy Anthony Clegg.
A la fin des annees 1940, un second circuit fut
ajoute afin
de mieuxservir les residents vivant a lEst de la
ville.
Le trajet etait Ie suivant : en direction Est sur la rue
Sainte-Catherine, vers Ie Nord sur la rue Delormier, vers
J:Ouest
sur 1a rue Mont-Royal, vers Ie Nord sur lAvenue
du Parc (chevauchant Ie premier circuit), puis en
direction Sud sur Ie Chemin Cote des Neiges et sur larue
Guy~ jusqua la rue Sainte-Catherine. Deux tramways
€taient normalement assignes a chacun des circuits. Le
cireuitdorigine fut nomme « Pare Avenue -Snowdon» et
Ie second, « Pare Lafontaine -Cote des Neiges ». Ce dernier
parcours fut annule a la fin de la saison 1954, suite a
Iabandon de la Iigne Cote des Neiges.
Photo prise en avant du te/minus Craig du tramway-obse/vatoire
numero 3le 4 septembre 1949. A droite, se trouve Ie siege social
de
la MTC dans ledifice identifie Power Building. Photo:
COUitoisie de William DMiddleton, negatif no. C-115
Observation car No.3 was captured in front of the Craig Street
Terminus
on September 4, 1949. The MTC Head Office is the
Power Building to the light
of the photo. Photo courtesy William
D Middleton, Negative No.
C-115
In the late 1940s a second route was established
to
better serve the residents in the east end of the city.
This
route went east on Saint Catherine, north on
Delormier, west on Mount Royal, north on Park Avenue
(overlapping
the original route), then south on Cote des
Neiges and Guy St. to Saint
Catherine Street. Usually two
cars were assigned to each route.
The original loop was
designated
ParkAvenue -Snowdon, the second loop was
called
Park Lafontaine -Cote des Neiges . This route was
discontinued at the
end of the 1954 operating season
because
of the abandonment of the Cote des Neiges line.
JULY -AUGUST 2005
Contrairement aux tramways construits pour
dautres villes canadiennes, ceux de Montreal neurent
jamais de dais ou de toile pour abriter les passagers de la
pluie ;
ils avaient cependant des toiles pour proteger les
sieges vides des intemperies. Sil pleuvait,
on donnait des
correspondances pour Ie service regulier aux passagers et
Ie tramway-observatoire etait aussit6t dirige vers Ie
hangar Ie plus pres. En 1954, on install a des pare-brises
sur les tramways pour proteger Ie conducteur du vent et
de la pluie, mais ceux-ci affectaient Iapparence du
vehicule
et ils furent retires un peu plus tard.
139 CANADIAN .HAtL·· 507
Unlike some of the cars built for otheLCanadiarl
cities, the
Montreal cars never had a canopy ortarpauliH
for passenger protection against the rain (they did have.a
service
tarpaulin to protect the empty seats from the
rain). If the rains came, the passengers were given a
transfer to a
regular car and the observation cars headed
to the nearest car barn. Windshields were installed on .the
cars in 1954 to
protect the motorman from wind and rain,
that
detracted from their appearance and were later
removed.
Tramway numera 1 rempli de touristes, pendant les demiers temps sur la rue Sainte-Catherine. Photo: Collection de Dave
Shaw via Daniel Laurendeau.
Car No.
1 in later years on Saint Catherine street with a full load of sightseers. Photo Collection of Dave Shaw via Daniel
Laurendeau.
Au cours des annees 1950, alors que les tramways
etaient remplaces par des auto bus, quelques
modifications furent apportees aux itineraires pour
repondre aux besoins des circuits du reseau. Le service
regulier des tramways-observatoires fut aboli
a la fin de la
saison estivale
de 1957. Ces tramways furent alors
entreposes tout en demeurant disponibles pour des
excursions nolises
et ce,jusquau 30 aout 1959. As
tram lines were converted to buses in the
1950s some route modifications were made to
accommodate the loop operation. Regular observation
car service was discontinued at the end of the 1957 season.
All cars were
put into storage but were still available for
charters right
up to the end of service on August30, 1959.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
occasion!
un des fameux
TRAMWAY S O-BSERVATOI RES
1905-1958
Dlsponlblos pour vOY09(ts
last
one of Montreal ~ famed
GOLDEN CHARIOTS
1905-1958
jtAvaHabr: ,anly:loi ~rgo~J:cd group
on 0 ehorlcr boils
CARTIERVllLE
P-A_RCO 0 RS
TERMINUS CRAIG
D fc~mID~s ~de la rue –<;-oi
9
a 100.~ar,c·.dr: Corfl~rvlll~, .
. :.ot retour, ..
: o,n J!)ut, ~s !lIIlGS
. de Cr:oI51~re
en ~plh~ ,.cl,r
;.Copaclt,i dos tram,-:
,50 passa9cr~ : _ .
, .PrJ. ,,ifa!m!. de 10 ocotio,,:
$40,00 –
pciur-
rilorycr -.
un.de cos vcltules;
~.;.~P~~· communqUGI avec .
. . Ie ·~irYI~o-ao 10 locotlon,
;12l due.st, -~uc Cr.aI~1
au aU t~16pho~c :~-.
uNIv~rsliy 1:1~!1.
ROUTE
From.
Craig Strod hrr;:,lnol
to Coi-H~rvtJIc Station ond bDC~
In.oll,:25-mllcs, –
~fopcn arr i:r,ulsin~:
Tr¥omwoy capoclt.y.:
~O p~ss~n-9cr.· . ~
Ch!lrter Prlce :,$~O,O~
I!! or,de; to
eserVo _
OC. 9f· .thcSiJ.,Y~hld~l.
pIQo.,c· .c~mnlunlc,ote
with Chorter:.~ Se,.iJec,·
121 Croi9 Stud. West.·
or calle
__ UIilveily.l-1611
140 JUILLEr -AOOr 2005
,Au c:oin, ao 161-6 19&8 cit jUlqu iol fin dol~a los
. f.moul·,· ~trolmwolV1 ob~ervoltoircs; de loJ CommluiOn d~
-frdnlport do Montrnal,lei tranH 61odriqua, los.plu$ c:6labrol
.du !ori(e: pou;~l1t.cHro lou-~, pM dos groupOi or9~ni,6$
dill t~ur~stol! pllr -do! ·.roprchon,,·nh dol 5oc.i~IM ,ocohn~o1
pdrdol parHc:ipantS A. dcs con9,.!ta .00 :clncor.o p~r, d,w·bu­
ic:II~X. do dinl¢ion doeuvro, oIU c.,uactOro·cl~iqul) 9U ~h~;i-
tblo. . .
LC:J trafllwoYI ·d.evt drlp~roll~~ ~~rs .to· d6,but do lap­
. tombro:do
lol ruo 8/cury o.t dellI.vmo dOottemont,.ce$orvic:e
no .pou·rra.pJui Qlro. Rl mel au moinsuno deinh
efo!,~; co rotour·dolm Ie p.ns,
.q~i nOUI IOportl) olIJ mo~r; do f ·ml,·o Qn sorvito du pro.
mier
Irdm.,:,4y obscrv~toiro, on 1905,
Uno.oc:cdttOn dO dlvollinomenHouto. sp6ddlo pour doi
groupo,.d:orpholins,
do jounos infirnlo( dc c..,doh do ,,/r,

do .. I . D ~iU~G tho Summ~r,of 1958, upto t~o-(Jnd 0 AU9u~t,
·tho no …. (~mou Ob,orvatlon Cdrl of t~o Montrrtlll Trar.
po}ttion Commiulon, tho ment. :ran~Wned ,treot.~C:olr-s .in tho
….. orld, molY: bc cholrtorod by 0!9n~lod group:of tourhts,
by rocoqniJod ,oclotios, doJogto, ,,1 conventioll5 Of by ,fho
o,ocul;vo ~f civic: or ch~r}tllb~o oIuocililioni,
· .
A, ,lroet·c:ors …. iII-be roplacedby bus~u on eltrury ~tJllol
.1nd wlillin 1110 Ijmits .. or tho Cjty of OutronlQn ~y the o~d .of
AU9U~, t~ls typo of icrvic:,c ….. iII not .. be olvlI.,blo .,Hol ·hl,
yqilr,
Why ~~tt~io ~dvaniligo of!J plcoJilntrido by ~t~ool_
,. ~r; jt may, bo your Ilut ~hM~o f· .
A vory cnloY~obio form of.r-o-croation fOl orphol~: erip.
plelChil9ronair, ou-rny.onool eo~oh., b.oy ~ou, girl guide
ok.,. . ,
NOTES HISTORtQUES
• La promior tramway obsofYoloire,
rult de ima9ination
d:un. Montrcollolh,
a Mc mil en ,crvico au d6buf do [$:16 do 1905 •
. Un • Modornis6, , Ioc~.sion au point ~o vue m6e … nique,
f:~;l;~~~~l~rndoOnTt~;e;~~:.ond.,nt
joutel Ills, COmpOJllnJol vj,iblo$ du numbro I:,
p, cxc,mplo: li090I, pote.ou>: de bO.h.
~oll~~i~~~~~ ~~tool~fi~~o~/!~~~oltivos, etc.,

los qua fro IUlmwoY5 obsorvatoilcs do Montreal doi
…. 0t:l( IQrminer [nun joull don den mutCO
au C~mod~ of .r 1.6trc1nger, co qui veul dire
quil~ dcmelire:onf virlu~lIoment Imn)odel,.
HFST01UCAl NOTES
• Thp. fj,,1 Obiervo)lion CM
wardQ,igned by cl Monlr~.lIQ(, clnd .
WIlS c.Qnslrucilld jn our ,hop dnd
, ~d)~cc~;:d :;~v~~, ;b~jll~~n Sr;~~69 ol~~ ~~~5~dditi~!I1~ c.lU
were .,/so· put inlo lon-ico in 192.4.
• ImprOVCnlOIlIs: wl.lre mddo 10 ~~op ·p<.lc:o
w.ilh. mOi:hanlCdI developments, . but t.
he btuic principlo hu (o,n),l;nod the fM10.
All vhiulo compon!.!n Polrt, of No, ,
for o)olmplo. ~e.~lh.overhQdd mOolldnJciurol ,lnd
doc.otdtlol1 IIve romalned tho mo .
for tho I.,s~ S) ye~m,
• The~e four Ob,on-.,tion· Con wm be! retngolted
.~~d~~~tU~~si~o~~i~dta~~~lo:~~r cllt~i,!~~
90MMISSION D~ TRANSPORT D~ MONTR£Al
. MONTREAL TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
UNlvorslty .. 1611
~AtoblJs Ii fOllor pour toules o~coson,J
r SUSCi ,tor retnl tor every occoslon J

Collection Daniel Laurendeau
JULY -AUGUST 2005 141
Ma/gre leur popularite croissante au cours des annees, les
tramways-obselva(oires
ne susciterent jamais,finteret au sud de la .
/rontiere
canado-americaifle.P~ndant la canicu/e, /absence de ioit sur
les tramlwl)s-observatoires pouvait causerun certain inconfort chez
les passagers, surtout ~ lis etaient pris dans urz b.ouchon de circulatiori.
Cest sans. doute
la raison pour laque/le its ne .turent jamai~ adoptes
dans les regions
siuleespfus au Sud, OLLie climat est plus chaud. Des
. tramways-obselvatoires a toii ouvert furent; cependant construits et
. utilises
en Europe ei quelquesvehicules sorll probablement encore en
serviced Prague. 7outefois, les· t;amways europeens ressemblaient
davantage aux tramways de
la ville de Quebec quacetlXde la ville de
Montreal.
CANADIAN RAIL· 507
, Despite their popularity over {he .
years they never gained favour south of the
borde,: Open top
ob.~ervalion caj;5 were built ,I
aiul did operate in Europe, somefor example
still probably operate in Prague. These are
patterned
more after the Quebec City type
cars than
thOSe of Montleal. Despite bc;ing
open topped, they could be uflcqm!oi1ab/e
on a sunny
hot summer day especially if
; caugJit in traffic, perhaps this is, why they
were never introduced in southern climates.
Le 30 aout 1959, derniere journee des tramways a Montreal, Ie tramway-obselvatoire numero 2 amene un groupe de dignitaires
dans
Ie dejilC ceremonial de cloture. Photo: Archive A CHF, Fonds Binns.
August
30, 1959, the last day of streetcar selvice in Montreal obselvation car No.2 (along with the others) canied a full load of
dignitaries in the final ceremonial parade. Photo CRHAArchives, Fonds Binns.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
Heureusement, les quatre tramways­
observatoires de Montreal ont ete preserves. Les
tramways numeros 1 et 3 sont exposes a. Exporail : Ie
tramway numero 1 est stationnaire, mais Ie tramway
numero3 est operationnel. Celui-ci fut dailleurs prete
au Glenhow Museum pendant un certain temps et il fut
utilise
sur Ie site de ce musee a. Calgary en Alberta. Ce
tramway revint a. Exporail en 1991. Quant au tramway
numero 2, il est utilise au Seashore Trolley Museum de
Kennebunkport dans Ie Maine, tandis que Ie tramway
numero 4 se trouve au Connecticut Electric Railway
Association
Museum a. Warehouse Point au Connecticut.
Actuellement, trois
des quatre tramways remplissent
encore leur fonction dorigine, cest-a.-dire Ie transport de
passagers sur un circuit touristique en plein air. Le vieux
tramway dorigine,
dote
dune structure en bois,
est maintenant
centenaire et arbore
toujours Ie numero 1. II
fait partie de la nouvelle
exposition permanente
dExporail a. Saint­
Constant au Quebec.
La Montreal Street Railway et, par la suite, la
Montreal Tramways Company furent des innovateurs et
des chefs de file dans Iindustrie du tramway en Amerique
du Nord. La conception et Iutilisation de ce type de
tramwaytouristique constituent un autre temoignage de
Iingeniosite de ces deux compagnies.
Sources:
Montreals Electric Streetcars, Richard M.Binns, Railjare,
1973.
Railway & Shipping World, aOLlt, 1905.
Streetcars
of Montreal, Fred Angus-Olive 1rwin Wilson,
1995.
Street Railway Journal, 1907 (Traction Heritage,
reridition).
Archives de IACHF, Josee Vallerand, archiviste, fonds
Binns.
142 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
Fortunately all four Montreal observation cars
have
been preserved. Numbers 1 and 3 are on display at
Exporail (No.1 is a static display, No.3 is operational).
Number 3 was leased to the Glenbow Museum for an
extended period and operated at Heritage Park in
Calgary,
Alberta. The car was returned to Exporail in
1991. Number 2 is operates at the Seashore Trolley
Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine, Number 4 operates
at the Connecticut Electric Railway Associations
Museum at Warehouse Point, Connecticut. To this day
three of the four cars are still fulfilling their original
mandate, carrying passengers on an open-air sightseeing
ride.
The original 100 year old wood framed car number
one is part of Exporails new permanent exhibition in
Saint-Constant, Quebec.
Denis Maille est au
controle du tramway­
observatoire numero 3
roulant sur Ie circuit
dExporail.
Les quatre
tram ways-observatoires
de Montreal ont to us ete
preserves.
Photo: Peter
Murphy.
Observation car
No.3 still
plies the rails at Exporail
~~~ shown here with Denis
Maille at the controls.
All
four of Montreals
observation cars have
been presefved. Photo,
Peter Murphy.
The Montreal Street Railway and subsequently
the Montreal Tramways Company were innovators and
leaders in the North American street railway business.
The conception and operation of these types of cars is just
another testimonial to the ingenuity of the MSR and
MTC.
References:
Montreals Electric Streetcars, Richard M.
Binns, Railfare,
1973.
Railway & Shipping World, August, 1905.
Streetcars
of Montreal, Fred Angus -Olive flwin Wilson,
1995.
Street Railway Journal, 1907 (Traction Heritage Re-print)
CRHA Archives, Josee Vallerand, Archivist, FO!Jd Binns.
JULY -AUGUST 2005 143 CAIJADIAN RAIL • 5.07
Part 2
Vancouver and Victorias Observation Cars
By Henry Ewert
Bought by B. C. Electric from the Montreal
Street Railway for a mere 25 cents, its sightseeing street
car plans, drawn up by Montreals D. E. Blair, were
quickly put into the hands of B. C. Electrics car builders
in its state-of-the-art shop in New Westminster, B.C. The
result were two strikingly-beautiful Montreal type
sightseeing vehicles
numbered 123 and 124. These cars
were varnished
dark green with gold leaf and black paint
detailing, they began delighting tourists and locals alike in
Victoria (123)
and Vancouver (124) in July, 1909.
B. C. Electric observation car in Vancouver B. c., note the
left-hand-rule
-of-the-road loading indicating that the photo
was taken prior to 1922. Photo Collection Daniel
Laurendeau.
Of the rubber neck variety, explained
Victorias Colonist newspaper, it has seats arranged in
tiers,
one rising above the other, without a canopy and
entered from the rear, with an aisle down the centre. It
was a party on wheels, even two arches of lights twinkling
in the dusk over the stepped-up seat levels on evening
trips. With 50
permanent seats and a dozen or so folding
seats to fill the aisle and splendid-riding Brill 27 El112
trucks, these
cars offered sightseeing without peer
anywhere in the world (except perhaps Montreal). The
conventional open-sided street cars used in both cities for
sightseeing could now
be relegated to lesser tasks.
Throughout the years, B. C. Electric published
numerous superbly-produced brochures extolling
the
delights of sightseeing. The companys 1910 advertising
promised: A three-hour lide through all the principal
business
and residential sections of Victoria traversing the
route to the Gorge with its unrivalled scenic attractions,
parks and rushing tidal waters; Oak bay, with a grand view
of
the Straits, dotted with many beautiful islets; Esquimalt, with
its diy-dock
and splendid harboUl; where you will obtain a
magnificent marine
view, the show capped Olympians in the
background. A stop-over
is made at each at each of the
aforementioned lovely points.
The whole trip is full of
interest from start to finish. FARE 50 CENTS! Two trips left the
corner of Government and Yates streets daily.
This photo of B. C. Electric car 124 was taken on July 2,
1927, Teddy Lyons Conductor. Photo Collection Peter
Mwphy.
B. C. Electrics 1920 Vancouver brochure
promoted sightseeing on cars 123 (lack of ridership in
Victoria had sent it to Vancouver in 1919) and 124 with
exuberance:
The scenic trip
of the B. C. Electric ObsClvation
Cars should be taken
if you have two hours or two weeks to
spend in Vancouve
r. For its genuine entertainment, its
magnificient view
s, its comfort and convenience, it has· no
pee!:
From the time you leave Robson and Granville, a
ston
es throw from the Hotel Vancouvel; you are sent from
one thrill to another
as you see Vancouver at work and at play
from the vantage point
of the tenaced seats of the
Obselvation
Car.
The route taken is through industrial sections,
residential suburbs, Japanese quarter,
and on out to
beautiful Point
Grey, Kenisdale and Shaughnessy Heights.
From the Heights you obtain an unobstructed panorama of
Vancouvel; the
Gulf of Georgia, the delta of the Frasel; and
occasionally a view
of Mount Baker, 90 miles away.
The cars leave Granville and Robson at 10 AM; 2,
4, 7:30 PM daily (season May to October), with a twilighttlip
at 9:15 PM when possible. The twilight trip is especially
delightful.
Dick Gardner, a magician and musician,
functioned as conductor / guide
on the sightseeing cars
from 1925 to 1950, Teddy Lyons from 1910 to 1950.
The
companys elaborate early-1930s brochures, Seeing
Vancouver
by B. C. Electric Obselvation Car, began
their effusive description in
the following fashion:
Lets take a trip with Teddy Lyons
and see
Vancouver from the B. C. Electric observation Cal: Having
breakfasted
wel~ as all good visitors should, we are in the
right frame of mind to enjoy a lide, and, at the same time, to
RAIL CANADIEN· 507
see just what Vancouver has to offer in the way of sights and
attractions.
·
11 is a brilliantly painted vehicle-a very car of
triumph, with its tiers of seats in the open giving us the novel
sensationaf being part of a festival parade as we start out. We
are to learn before the end of the 20 mile lun-two hours of
liding~that it is more than a mere streetcar ride. It is an
institution which has been on the itineraJY of many hundreds
of thousands who have visited these parts.
144 JUILLET -AOOT 2005
B. C. Electric even published a booklet entitled
Jokes-by Teddy Lyons, Conductor, B. C. Electric
Observation Car.
One example: ~ fellow met a girl in a
revolving door and has been going around with her ever
since. All along the observation cars route, local residents
of a variety of ages greeted riders with musical, gymnastic,
literary, and even animal performances.
In addition, a
photo of the car and its passengers would be taken early in
the trip by a professional photographer, Harry Bullen, for
sale and distribution
near its journeys end.
Views of each of the two B. C. Electric obselvation cars, No. 123 in 1950 and No. 124 in 1940. Photos courtesy GTC
Collectibles, Stan Styles Collection, Negative BCE-124-J and BCE-123-1 respectively.
JULY -AUGUST 2005
Some reworking of the two cars had been
necessary when the rule of
the road had been changed
from left to right hand drive on
January 1, 1922, and a new
paint scheme, a glorious ca
rmine red with ivory trim, had
been instituted by the B. C. Electric for all its passenger
vehicles
in 1926. In the companys system-wide inventory
of property, completed on June 30, 1939, cars 123 and
124 each received a valuation
of $ 6,064.50. Both cars had
a length
of 45 feet 91/2 inches; however car 123 used four
Westinghouse 101-D2
motors and weighed 36,500
pounds, while car 124 used four
General Electric 67
motors and weighed 35,200 pounds.
The end ofB. C. Electrics street car operation to
Stanley Park
made it a certainty that 1950s summer
would see the last of the observation cars; there was
simply not enough track left for running a viable
sightseeing circuit. Sunday,
September 17, was the last
day, with car 124 the only
one of the two in service, 123
having run its last tours on the previous weekend. After
the final Sunday trips, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., from Cambie
and Hastings streets, car 123 did
appear, decorated for
the occasion, to take a party of company and civic officials
at 4 p.m. for a thirty minute excursion through
the
downtown area.
145 CANADIAN RAIL -507
The B. C. Electric made a concerted effort to
save car 124 for posterity,
but the City of Vancouver,
officially, was only bemused and certainly not interested.
Both cars were scrapped at the companys KitsiIano.shop
in February 1951, car 123 on the 26th., and car 124 on the
22nd.
Vancouver Sun newspaper columnist Jack Scott
reflected
that a trip on car 123 or 124 was not so much a
sightseeing run as it was a
tour of personal triumph for
Teddy Lyons and, for
the passengers, a sharing in the
reflected
glory. Pedestrians and cops on
the corner waved
their greetings. Motorists thumbed their klaxons
in
salute. Small children and large dogs ran alongside. So it
went and before youd gone a mile you were bathed ·in a
glow
of goodwill, fellowship and the wonder at what
appeared to be the friendliest town-and certainly the
most beautiful-of any in the wide world.
So
ended the observation streetcar era in
Vancouver on Sunday,
September 17, 1950.
Henry Ewert is the author of The StoryoftheB. C.
Electric Railway Company published by Whitecap Books,
1986.
The Star Brass Works
Largest Exclusive Trolley Wheel Maners in the World
Kalamazoo Michigan
Canadian Representatives:
Northern Electric COlUpany, LiInited
Montrcnt
Winnipcg
HaUfux Ottawa fOJOllto ,ondon
Ht·gil1a CRlgary Va11((lu~r
RAIL CANADIEN· 507
Troisieme partie
Ville de Quebec
146 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
Part 3
Quebec Citys
Tramways-O bservatoire
Par/By Jacques Pharand
French version, Denis Vallieres
French editing, Michele Bourdeau
La ville de Quebec eut aussi ses tramways­
observatoires. Charles E.Carr,
gerant general du
Montreal Park
& Island Railway, qui avait demenage a
Quebec en 1909 pour y occuper une fonction similaire,
avait ete temoin
du succes des tramways-observatoires de
Montreal.
II en fit done construire deux en catimini. II
presenta officiellement Ie premier ala presse Ie 18 juin
1910. Le second
entra en service Ie 20 mai 1911.
Quebec City also had its own version of the
observation cars. Charles E.
Carr, a former Montreal Park
& Island Railway General-Manager who had moved to
carry
out similar functions in Quebec City in 1909, had the
opportunity to witness the success of observation
streetcars in Montreal.
He had two of them built almost as
a covert
operation and formerly introduced the first one
to the Press, on June 18,1910, the second entered service
on May20, 1911.
Un tramway-obsetvatoire de Quebec photographie a lexterieur des Ateliers de Limoilou, date inconnue. Photo: Archives
CanadaPA 149520.
Quebec
s observation car photographed outside the companys Limoilou Shops, date unknown. Photo Public Archives of
CanadaPA 149520.
Les deux vehicules ressemblaient
a ceux de
Montreal en ce qui a trait a lamenagement des sieges,
mais.ils differaient sur
dautres points. Les tramways
partaienLdun embranchement pres de lh6tel du CPR,
Ie
Chateau Frontenac, puis ils empruntaient, sans sarreter,
The two cars had a vague resemblance with the
Montreal ones,
in terms of seating arrangement, but there
ended the similarity. The cars departed from a spur built
next to the CPRs Chateau Frontenac Hotel and then
rode non-stop around the
Upper and Lower Town city
JULY -AUGUST 2005 147 CANADIAN RAI L • 507
les lignes de la Haute-Ville et de la Basse-Ville. Ceci
permettait au controleur dagir comme guide touristique
des Ie depart du tramway. lise tenait pres du conducteur
et utilisait un megaphone pour donner des
renseignements sur les endroits dignes dinten~t situes
tout au long du parcours. Cependant, peu de citadins se
montrerent interesses par ces tramways; en effet, en
utilisant judicieusement les correspondances, ils
pouvaient parcourir Ie meme circuit pour aussi peu que
cinq cents, evitant ainsi de payer les 25 cents exiges des
touristes.
Contrairement a ceux de Montreal, ces deux
tramways comportaient des toiles longitudinales que lon
deployait par mauvais temps. I..:horaire etait conc;u de
fa{]on a atteindre.le terminus Be la-division Saint-Paul des ,­
tramways
interurbains juste a temps pour permettre,.aux
touristes
interesses de. monter a. bOJ:d·du, tramway­
interurbain du QRL&P qui Les amenait a la basilique de
Sainte-Anne de Beaupre, supprimant ainsi Ie service de
navette qui existait auparavant entre ces deux endroits.
Le parcours complet du circuit ne pouvait se
faire que de jour et durait 1 heure 45 minutes. Le soir, Ie
parcours etait limite au secteur de la Haute-Ville,
reduisant ainsi sa duree de 30 minutes, mais sans que Ie
tarif en soit diminue pour autant.
Le tramway-obselvatoire du QRL&P rempli de touristes,
photographie devant
le Chateau Frontenac en juillet 1925.
Photo: Archives Canada
PA 121354.
QRL&P observation car fully loaded photographed outside the
Chateau Frontenac in July
1925. Photo Public Archives of
CanadaPA 121354.
Ces tramways faisaient lobjet de critiques de la
part des cochers des voitures hippomobiles et des
marchands de la rue Saint-Jean. Les premiers se
sentaient victimes dune competition deloyale tandis que
les seconds voyaient passer des touristes sans que ces
derniers aient la possibilite de descendre pour visiter
leurs
boutiques.
lines. This allowed the conductor to double up as a tourist
guide once the cars had departed, standing next to the
motorman and using a megaphone, to indicate points of
interest to tourists along the route. Few residents showed
any interest
at all, the same tour being available for a mere
five cents by judicious use of the transfers issued, instead
of the 25 cents collected from tourists for the same ride.
Contrary to Montreal, both cars sported a
longitudinal
tarpaulin that could be deployed in case of
inclement weather. Departures were cleverly scheduled
to reach the St. Paul interurban division terminus, in time
to
board the QRL&Ps interurban cars heading for the
Ste. Anne de Beaupre basilica, for those tourists that
wanted it, thusly abolishing the previous shuttle service
between both.points. The whole network tour took an
hour and 45 minutes to complete, but during daytime
_ .only.
At night, the ride was limited to the Upper Town
circuit, which
cut half an hour from the daytime tour, but
without a comparative fare reduction.
OFFICIAL GUIDE
Q
FAMOUS
U
PANORAMIC
E
TOUR
B
BY
E
SPECIAL
C
OBSERVATION
S
CARS
1st JUNE to 30 SEPTEMBER
Seven Trips Daily
Can I~ayc appo.ite Chateau Front enac.
9.00, 10.00 and 11.00 A. M.
2.0
0,3.00,4.00 and 5.00 P.M.
A eo.,id., .ccGm~nl, •… ch ea.,
polnl;1r IOU and decrlb!
.11 p.~ •. of Intuut.
Vou h..~ .. nol • .,., Q … bc.c­
unlll YOU u • .I lu,.,j …… .. &1 … 1>,
Th. Queb,,, RailWAY, U,ht .I P_n Cornpa,y
qu,D.. C.nad.
Of.hI.I ….. <>I.h.~·.o … ,..,.IIkJO_c.oc>I.,
h ….. bo.npOllocI.
Promotional booklet issued by the QRL&P in 1913,
Collection
Fred Angus.
The cars were actually quite despised by both
horse-drawn cabs operators and merchants on St. John
Street alike. The former considered it an unfair form of
competition, while the latter saw the cars pass by their
stores without stopping to allow the tourists to shop.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507 148 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
En 1912, Ie circuit fut prolonge j,usqua .Sillery et
Ie tarif augmenta en consequence. A partir de ce
terminus,
pour un montant additionnel de cinquante
cents, les passagers pouvaient monter a bord dun
autobus special, et aller admirer Ie splendide pont de
Quebec qui enjambe Ie fleuve Saint-Laurent.
In 1912, the route was extended to Sillery and the
fare
doubled accordingly. From that latter terminus, an
additional fifty cents allowed
the passengers to board a
special bus reaching the
magnificent Quebec Bridge
across
the St. Lawrence River.
Meme endroit, cette fois-ci avec
la toile instaltee. Photo:
Pendant la deuxieme guerre mondiale, ce tramway­
obselvato
ire de Quebec fut utilise pour transporter un~
fanfare afin damasser des fonds pour leffort de guerre. A
noter : suspendu
it gauche au-dessus du tramway, la
banniere du National War Finance Committee . Courtoisie du
regrette StephenD.Maguire
Same location, this time with the top up, Photo courtesy the
late Stephen
D. Maguire. During the Sec
ond World War, the Quebec City obselvation
car
was used as a band car to raise funds and awareness for
the war effort.
Note the National War Finance Committee
bannel:Archives de la Ville de Quebec No. 5765.
Les deux tramways­
observatoires, de couleur marron,
furent
retires de la circulation Ie 4
octobre 1947, a peine 7 mois avant
que les tramways de la ville ne cessent
toute activite, so it Ie 26 mai 1948. lis
furent detruits
peu de temps apres.
Jacques
Pharand est Iauteur
de
Les Tramways de Quebec, publie
par Les Publications MNH et
disponible a la boutique dExporail.
Commutators for
Electric Railway
Motors
Our Commutswrs are
:·maae-from pure .lake
copper with best .. grade of mica,
and are accur, ately machined.
In our
files we have particulars of
all stend­
ard types, and can sllpply promptly either complete with shell,
re­
filled shells or assembled seglllents only.
For those preferring
W do their own machin­
ingand aSsembling, we
supply loose bars and in
many cases can do sO
from swck.
Railway and Power Engineering
Corporation Ltd.
J33 EUlern Avenue Toronto
Bruch .. : Mozrlreal Wianipc, . N,,, Gillio,
Both cars, painted in a dark
maroon scheme, were retired from
service on October 4, 1947, barely seven
months before
streetcar operation ceased
within the city,
on May 26,1948 and were
soon scrapped thereafter.
Jacques Pharand is the author of
Les Tramways du Quebec published by
MNH publications and is on sale at the
Exporail
boutique (French version only).
JULY -AUGUST 2005 149 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
Part 4
Calgarys Scenic Streetcar
By Colin K. Hatcher
A stunningly different streetcar ventured
ostentatiously onto the streets of Calgary on Thursday
July 4th 1912. Officials of the Calgary Municipal Railway
were so anxious to introduce the new scenic
streetcar that
it appeared for its first trip in unfinished condition. Air
brake equipment, the front fender and the striped canvas
top had yet to be installed on the car,
but Inspector
Decker and Conductor Clarke under direction of
Preston, Ontario in 1911 along with an order for six 466
standard streetcars. These latter cars were assigned road
numbers 49, 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55.
The scenic car received
the road
number 50. All were delivered in 1912.
The City of Calgary officially signed the
November 1911 proposal to build
one Observation Car
for $4,500.00 excluding motors. Specifications for S.O.
177 dated at Preston
on January 5, 1912 called for the
With the Navassarxs Ladies Band on board the Calgmy Municipal Railways Scenic Car makes its first trip on July 4, 1912. The
well-dressed passengers are representatives ji-om the Calgmy
Fail: Air brake equipment, front fender and canvas top have yet to
be installed. Glenbow Archives
NA -2553-5
Superintendent Thomas H. McCauley took the car for a
quick spin. They added
great pomp to the circumstance
by taking the Navassarxs Ladies Band with them.
Assistant
Superintendent Charles Comba and Fair
officials were
on board as well. The car left the Exhibition
Grounds at about 6:45 p.m. and travelled to East Calgary
and then to Hillhurst in the west end before returning to
the Exhibition Grounds.
The scenic car as it was called in Calgary was
ordered from Preston Car and Coach Company of
scenic cars general design to be similar to the builders
blueprint #871.
These specifications stipulated a 33 body
and 6 platforms for a total length
of 45. The following
description
is quoted from the specifications. The first
seat to be on the floor
of the car, the next two to be
elevated 6 above that.
The third two to be elevated 6
above the second two, and so
on until thirteen seats are
placed on each side as shown. Drop platform at each end.
The front dash to be chariot style as shown. The rear
platform to be enclosed on one side and on the end with a
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
polished bronze railing and between each upright on the
sides there will be a polished bronze railing as shown. All
these railings to be composed of 1 Y4 square tubing for
longitudinal
members and 3/4 square tubing for upright
members.
Gates to be placed at each step opening, the
same style and material as the other railing on the car. –­
Lights to be
arranged in 16 circuits of ten lights each, 50
volt lamps on
the arches, and one circuit offive lights each
100 volt lamps on
front dash and head-light. There will be
four circuits on each switch and a separate switch for the
head-light and four dash lights. The striped duck curtain
covering the car could be easily removed and stored in
cabinets located under the rear seats although the curtain
was in place in most photographs. Fifty passengers could
be
seated on the varnished wood slatseats. Aside from the
chariot style flared front dash perhaps the most
150 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
characteristic feature of the car was the seven panels of
bevelled edge plate glass mirrors decorating each side.
The colour was white with thin red and gold striping and
lettering.
Operation called for two crew members, a
motorman and a conductor. The latter collected the 25
cent fare but often appears in photographs carrying a
bullhorn indicating
that he likely also described the sights
as
the car glided along its route. It appears that in 1913 the
road number 50 was dropped and assigned out of
sequence to a car in the next series to be delivered to the
Calgary Municipal Railway. In place of the number 50
on the dash a 25 Cent caption appeared. From that time
onward it being the only
one of its type on the railway it
was simply called the Scenic Car.
Later in 1912 a completely outfitted Scenic Caris parked on Centre Street facing north just south of 8th Avenue South waiting to
take
on passengers for its next one-hour tow: Note the conductor standing with the bullhom to aid him in his commentmy of the
points
of interest along way. Glenbow Archives NA -924-1.
JULY -AUGUST 2005 151 CANADIAN RAI L • 507
Looking tall and stately Calgary Municipal Railway Scenic Car with a full load of passengers stops for a photographer on a
residential street.
Both the motorman and the conductor stand attentively on the front platform. In this 1928 view the car canies
a second larger headlight on the front dash suggesting that it regularly operates along the unlit private light-of-way to Bowness
Park.
All Calgmy cars regularly assigned to Bowness or Ogden carried a similar auxilimy headlight. The striped awning has by
this
time been replaced with a plain white awning which still sports a fringe. Ayear or two after entering service the Scenic Car was
fitted with a small glass wind screen
mounted on the front dash to help protect the motorman from inclement weather. Glenbow
Archives NC-25-1.
Passengers could choose from several different
route options. All trips began and terminated on a tail
track
south of Eighth Avenue on Centre Street.
10:00
AM and 2:00 PM
From Eighth Avenue SW and Centre Street via
Fourth Street east crossing the Bow River northbound
over the Langevin bridge and proceeding through
Riverside to Crescent Heights, Mountainview
and the
North Hill City, and southbound through Hillhurst then
crossing back over the Bow River on the Louise bridge to
Eighth Avenue Sw, Eighth Street Sw, Seventeenth
Avenue SW to First Street Sw, Eighth Avenue SW and
Centre Street.
11:00
AM and 5:00 PM
From Centre Street and Eighth Avenue SE to
the manufacturing section
of East Calgary, the Mounted
Police Barracks and St. Georges Island and back to
Fourth Street SE to Fourth Avenue SE and SW to Ninth
Street SW and across Louise bridge thence to Sunnyside and Crescent Heights hill from which a view
of the city
and Rocky
Mountains can be had and then return to
Eighth Avenue SW and
Centre Street.
3:00
PM and 7:30 PM
From Centre Street and Eighth Avenue SE
around the Belt Line via Second Street SE, Seventeenth
Avenue
SE and SW viewing the Exhibition Grounds, St.
Marys Roman Catholic Church, Holy Cross Hospital,
Shriners Temple,
Mount Royal residential section,
Fourteenth Street SW, Twelfth Avenue Sw, First Street
SW, Eighth Avenue SE, Ninth Street SW across the
Louise Bridge to Hillhurst, Riley Park back across the
Louise Bridge
returning via Fourth Avenue SW and to
Centre Street.
4:00PM
From Centre Street and Eighth Avenue to Elbow
Park via Second
Street SE, Seventeenth Avenue SE and
SW Fourth
Street SW viewing the Elbow River and classy
residential section of Elbow Park, returning via
RAIL CANADIEN 507
Seventeenth Avenue SW, Eighth Street SW, Fourth
AvenueSW and to Centre Street.
As the system was extended the
routes changed
taking in the South Calgary loop the highest point in the
city offering a view of the Rocky Mountains and the
Bowness line offering several sylvan views along
the Bow
River.
In 1918 its Westinghouse 101B-2
motors were
replaced with
GE 247 motors and helical gears with a
63:15 ratio. Finally in 1932
in the face of steeply
decreasing revenue the scenic car service was terminated.
Its motors and gears were transferred to car 15.
It
appeared again briefly in the early 1940s on Standard 0-50
152 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
trucks carrying banners advertising the sale of Victory
Bonds.
It was scrapped by 1946.
Car Statistics:
Car Length
Trucks
Motors
Seating
Frame
Weight
45
Brill 27-G-1, 46 wheelbase, 33
diameter wheels
Westinghouse 101 B-2 to
GE 247
in 1918
50 passengers
Composite wood and steel plate
40,500
The CRHA leased Montreal observation car No.3 to Heritage Park in Calga/y for a number of years where it was lettered
Calga/y Municipal, it was returned to Exporai/ in
1991. Photo CRHAArchives, Fonds Bailey.
References:
Bailey, William and Douglas Parker, Streetcar Builders of
Canada, Volume One, The Canadian Railroad Historical
Association, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2002, p.
66.
Bain, D.M., CalgalY Transit Then & Now, Kishorn
Publications, Calgary, AB, 1964, pp.
6, 56 and 64.
Hatcher, Colin K, Stampede City Streetcars, Railfare
Enterprises Limited, Montreal, QC, 1975, pp.29 -30 and
83.
Lavallee,
Omer, Sightseeing in Four Cities, C.R.H.A.
News
Report, No. 128, December 1961, p.163.
Meikle,
J., Calgary Municipal Railway, Canadian Rail,
No. 166, May 1965, pp.
77 -83.
Meikle, J. and R.F. Corley, Calgary Municipal Roster of
Electric Railway Rolling Stock, Canadian Rail, No. 171,
November 1965,
pp.191-195.
Newinger, Scott, The Street Cars of Calgary, Alberta
Historical
Review, Volume 22,
Number 3, Summer 1974,
Historical Society
of Alberta, Calgary, AB, pp 8 -12.
The Preston Car & Coach Company Limited, Preston,
Ontario, Specifications Covering
One (1) Scenic Car for
the Calgary Municipal Railway,
SO 177, January 5,1912.
Colin K. Hatcl1Cl; Edmonton, Alberta
August 10, 2005.
JULY -AUGUST 2005 153 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
Part 5
Edmontons Observation Streetcar
By Colin K. Hatcher
The Edmonton Radial Railway entered the
observation
streetcar scene somewhat later than the
other systems in Canada. Edmontons more conservative
approach
to introducing this specialized service may have
been due to the fact that it was expending most of its
efforts
in the 1911 -1913 period on the extension of its
track network.
The system seemed to be chronically short
of cars as it tried to service this rapidly expanding
network. With its 1913 -1914
order of 35 cars from the
Preston Car and Coach Company it finally found itself
with a surplus
of cars but faced a declining market as
World War I
broke ou t.
Edmontons observation streetcar proudly
appeared during the closing days of June 1920. It seemed
to signal a rejuvenation for Edmontons streetcars. Many
cars appeared well-weathered following several years of
deferred maintenance as the system tried to reduce its
operating costs to balance its books. The new car was
painted white but displayed six rectangular gold-coloured
panels on each side each neatly outlined with a thin red
border. Two layered frames with art-deco style rounded
corners highlighted each panel.
Edmontons obselvation streetcar pauses adjacent to the
Alberta Legislature Building
on 109 Street at 97 Avenue. The
crossover in the foreground directs the
southbound cars onto the
east side
of the bridge deck so that the cars door will open onto
the center
of the bridge. Northbound cars coming off the west
side
of the bridge resume their right hand operating at this point.
A similar crossover existed
on 109 Street at the south end of the
bridge. Bill Gordon
is the motorman and Dave Ghormley is the
conductol: Photograph
fromAlan Manly.
An 18-inch-high balustrade topped each of the
panels. The balustrade in turn was topped by a metal
railing. A similar balustrade and railing arrangement
enclosed the left side of each platform and the curved end
of the rear platform. A decorative ball adorned each post.
Protective-wire screening above
the open sides ensured
the
safety of passengers especially as the car crossed the
outermost edge of the top deck of the High Level Bridge
some 47 metres above water level. Other unique elements
consisted of its front windshield, its arched roof and its
roof-mounted headlight angled down to light up the right­
of-way
ahead for night operations. Its tiered seating
arrangement had been clearly designed after the
Montreal observation cars and its ornately curved front
platform panel and side balustrades bore resemblances to
Calgarys
observation car.
The Edmonton car was a product of its own
Cromdale shops. In 1919 Superintendent J. H. Moir
appropriated $2,500 exclusive of trucks and electrical
equipment for the purpose of building the car. J.
Longworth,
foreman of the carpenters designed the car
and with his carpenters built the superstructure. The car
appears to have been built on the frame of a
double truck two-man car. Since the body of
Edmontons Ottawa-built (1911) car 22 was
destroyed
by fire while in regular service on June
30th 1917 it is quite possible that its frame and
other salvageable mechanical and electrical
equipment were employed in building the
observation car. Evidence suggests that it rode
on Bemis 45 trucks.
The observation car began service on
Dominion Day Thur~day July 1st 1920. It
departed from Jasper Avenue and 101 Street on
the following schedule:
2 p.m. to the west
end and south side.
3 p.m. to
the east end and packing plant.
4 p.m. to the west
end and south side.
5 p.m.
to the east end and packing plan t.
8 p.m. to the west end and south side.
9 p.m.
to Highlands and east end park.
Adult passengers paid a fare of 25 cents while
children could ride for
15 cents. Two crew members
operated the car, a motorman and a conductor.
Passengers could board at the rear pia tform and reach the
top tier via a staircase. The car seated 42 passengers in
paired transversely arranged wood-slat seats
mounted on
each tier.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507 154
Car statistics:
Trucks
Seating
Reference
s:
JUILLET -AOUT 2005
Car length 41 2 W
Bemis 45-S, 46 wheelbase, 34 wheels
42 passengers The car operated
to the end of the 1925 season. A
February
1926 announcement indicated that the car
would not operate for another season
as revenue was not
offsetting expenses.
It was also difficult to load the car at
the busy
101 Street and Jasper Avenue intersection
without disrupting the schedules of the regular cars.
Upon retirement the car was stored
in a lean-to type shed
along the west wall at the south end of Cromdale shop
also used for the storage of sand.
It remained there until
about
1945 when the space was required for construction
of the new trolley coach facility. Still remarkably well
preserved, the observation streetcar was moved
to open
space
on the east side of the building where it was set on
stacked ties a
nd apparently bu rned as scrap. Canadian Rail, No.157, July-August 1964,
p. 158.
Hatcher, Colin
K. and Tom Schwarzkopf, Edmontons
Electric Transit, Railfare Enterprises Limited, Toronto,
Canada,
1983, pp. 90-92,182-183 and 186.
Car·
• NUll1ber
1
2-,.
123
124
1
2

50
. NonuDlber .
..
3
4 Lavallee, Orner, Sightseeing
in Four Cities, c.R.H.A.
News Report, No. 128, December 1961, p. 163.
Colin K. Hatcher Edmonton, Alberta
August 4, 2005
Edmonton Radial Railway observation car body is stored on blocks at the east side of the Cromdale
Shop in 1945. Note the screening above the railings and the decorative wood panelling. Photograph
by
Bob Walke/:
Roster of Canadian Observation Streetcars

.. ..
,–.
Y~ar
..
..
Operat?T
·,.:Sunder Length
Se.l~ls . Dispositiun .
Built
..
..

. -.
1905 Montreal Street Railway MSR Hochelaga Shops 46 5 50 Exporail (Static display)
….
1906 , MOQtrealSrreet Railw:ay . MSR Iiochelaga Shops 465 50 SeashoreTrolI~y Museum
~~
1909 British Columbia Electric BCER Shops 45 9 1/2 52 Scrapped 1951
British Columbia Electric,

B,CERShops, 45 9 lji:
5:4 . ScrapP!!cl1951 .
..
1909.
.
. .
1910 Quebec Railway Light & Power QRL&P Shops unknown Scrapped 1947
1911 QucbecRailwaY· Light & P9wer . QRL&P Shops . unkn0.Wn … • ~crapped 1948 •.
.~~

.. .. .
1912 Calgmy Municipal Railway Preston Car & Coach 46 6 44 Withdrawn in 1932, scrapped in the 40s
1920 Edthonton: Radial· Railway . OVh shops unknown Witbdravft 1925, scrappedc 1945. .
1924 Montreal Tramways Company MTC YOllville Shops 47 7 50 Exporail (Awaiting wheel profiling)
1924 Montreal TramwaysCohlpany , 47 7
..
. Connecticut Electric Railway Assn. MTC Youvllle Shops 50
JULY -AUGUST 2005 155 CANADIAN RAIL· 507
CARTES POSTALES / PICTURE POSTCARDS
par / by Daniel Laurendeau
.•
··
I,.TIST~:~,REp·I.·······
QiLe{{e image r~f{dtera (e y{us{espfaisirsau voyagee11terre ·irwonnue, aans ftln .
.. {a granaevi[{e,cli-ez [ande A{6ert, envci(ances ? .
, Vrif!Tarte yastat~,tiensr-pa~ tray {ong.a ecrire, une imageryectacu{aire qui
. , imyressiannera {esyarents, [alY1:ie ae c(Eur, {eytit frere tannant e{un
timfJrequ{caute main~ cheren:primel . . ..
Ref}l:cf(;{o~ unyeuquefs messagesyeuverLt~ien sij t1OuveY~·
, Dear (jral1c(ma.,.,
youre.
travdfirigJo jarawcrj)J{aces,~6itrcity,.staying at ~untieEtfte{,. or
. a11vacation? What to.sencffioine? . -.. …
,J-{aw-ciffaut a YQ$ttarc{!Easy ta wYiteCl:n4sfiart 011. Worc(f5 •. :.Ji.ryectacu{ar
.. image ta impress
mam & tfad)yC!1;tr(ac{y!riend;,thaJscamyoja brqther.::.
:Jtm;(asc;z, bO,nt!:s;itscheayer to,maiD, … . .,.
Let ~ pe~k:afwndtfu~SSaEJes cait(c{w..eji:nc{~imveyed;
.
August 16, 1930
Dear :Mickey.
:My :french sure is us efu { here.
This
city Of Que6ec is sa a{c{
that even the tramcar I rac{e
(the One an this card) {Oaks
maaern. VVe taak a night taur
ana the fights an tay hac{ an
eerie effect an the 6ui{c{ings as
we yasse£.
VVe are staying at the hate{
yau see 6ehin£. VVhat {uxury !
Wire 6e 6ack hame saan,
yra6a6{y 6rake.
yaur frienc{ The {ma.
. .
., .
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
Ju{y 1St 1913
Ethe{ aearest.
Jvlary
ana I are enjoying our stay
in quaint lictoria. yesteraay, we
took the 06servation Car shown on
the other siae to (jorge Park. It
was wonaerfuC Strange thing
though, you get on ana of the tram
on the LE:JT siae , Just fike in
Eng{ana. If it cou{a on{y stoy
raining
Love Jvlyrt{e
156 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
24juin 1907
« Oviae.
Jvloi, Serayhin, arriverai chez vous
dimanche, mais hifas, yas Ii 60ra cEu
6eau Char en Or qui a ae (autre
60ra ae {a carte. fai fais {e tour ae {a
vi{{e yis ae {a camyagne avec et
cetait 6ien agrea6{e … surtout avec
1Jona[aa.
y-a une montagne au mifieu, mais (:a
y{ut6t (air dune 6utte yar rayyort Ii
{a (jasyesie.
A tant6t. »
25 mai 1953
« Jvla chere tva.
J{ maurait ete si gai ae vow avoir Ii mes cotes
a{ors que
je me 6a{aaais Ii travers {a vi{{e aans
{e tramway 06servatoire. Sur {a yhoto, vous
ayercevez (l1niversite ae Jvlontrea{ ou jetuaie,
{a Petite Chaumine, succu{ent restaurant et
{e Jvlusee ae Cire avec ses a{{egories ae {a vie ae
notre 60n Saint Joseyh. LOratoire est tout
yres. lous me manquez te{{ement.
Acceyter (exyression ae mon estime
grandissante.
lotre yretenaant, Oscar»
JULY -AUGUST 2005
June 16, 1928
Sweet Ro6in.
This
is some y{ace here. I {ifie it great.
Eating
de {icious yorfi choys and vea{
cut{ets. Now, they te{{ us we wire 6e
eating fish on the (jasye yart of our
triy. We had a sy{endid sightseeing
triy today. The tram stoyyed at
Brother Andrews shrine (6ehind the
tram, in the yicture). But we had to
c{im6
1,000 steys! We{r, it{{ he(p me
{oose weight from a{{ the fantastic
food. Love.
your yUdgy Parrot.
157 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
2 seytem6re 1956
«
Sa{utations a toute {a fami{{e.
Je suis
arrive sain et sauf a
:Montrea{ hier ayres-midi.
Layyartement de {a Pension
Ve{der est tres conforta6{e.
Jai
rencontre res autres {ocataires au
dejeuner et irs etaient tres
accuei{{ants. Lon
ma recommande
de faire un tour de ytit char
06servatoireyour mieux
connaitre {a vi{{e. (a fair que cest
une des dernieres fois car irs
en{event res tramways sur {a rue
Ste Catherine demain. Je vous
envcrie
une yhoto de ce magnifique
vehicu{e qui a fair encore tres
yoyu{aire !
On se revoit a Nod.
TL-Coune. »
Editors note: Daniel Laurendeau has an extensive collection of tram post cards, we thank him for
sharing some
ofthem, including their messages with us!
RAIL CANADIEN· 507 158 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
The Centennial of the Pay-As-You-Ellter Car
By Fred F. Angus
It was a somewhat dull spring moming on May 4, 1905, when No. 890 set out on its epoch-makingfirst trial run, just before going
into se/vice. Fortunately the
MSR photographer was present to record the historic occasion. Note the Sleeman fender (invented
in Guelph) on the front
of the car; this design was only used in Montreal for a few years. CRHA Archives, Fonds Montreal
Tramway Company, P042.
In
the late nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries, the
Montreal Street Railway stood in the first
rank of transit companies in North America, and indeed
the world. Since the company began to electrify its system
in 1892, it had gone from strength to strength, and its
reputation as a strong and well managed company was
second to none. To
appreciate this, one did not have to
look
farther than the stock market. As early as 1896 the
papers reported that investors had made big profits in
MSR, and by the early 20th century, the value of a share of
stock had doubled. Total capitalization had risen tenfold,
from $900,000 in 1892 to $9,000,000 in 1905.
During this period the company had made many
great innovations, but by far the most significant took
place in
the spring of 1905, the Pay-As-You-Enter (PAY E)
system.
Ever since the start of public transit about 1830,
the
method of fare collection had remained much the
same. A passenger
boarded the car, found a seat (if he was
lucky)
and waited for the conductor to come around. He
would then pay his fare, perhaps a flat rate, or perhaps a
graduated rate depending on distance traveled, and
would receive a receipt,
or maybe a transfer.
This system worked quite well in non rush hours,
when the cars were less crowded, but in times of heavy
traffic,
when cars were jammed with standees, it was a
very
different story. The conductor had to force his way
through the crowd, and a great many fares were missed
altogether. Again,
someone going only a short distance
might hop onJh.ecar while the conductor was collecting
fares
-at the other end, and have completed his trip before
the conductor returned. All. this naturallyJimited.the size
of the car that one conductor could handle; a larger car
would carry more passengers, but more fares would be
missed. In addition, there was the problem of dishonest
conductors who would pocket many fares without turning
them in to the company. Various methods were tried, like
fareboxes, registers
etc., but none was really satisfactOlY.
During 1904 the Montreal Street Railway had
introduced a larger type of car of more modern design,
including,
among other features, a larger rear platform, as
well as provision for disembarking from the front
end as
well as
the rear. It was them that an idea occurred to two
of the MSR officials, Messrs. Duncan McDonald and
AM. Ross. In retrospect the idea was so simple, it is
surprising that it had not been invented long before. It was
JULY -AUGUST 2005 159 CANADIAN RAIL· 507
~2—~*——————
2 T ,.. .. _____________________________ .~Iq,~. –
4Z 3
THE MONTREAL STREET RY. CO,S NEW STANDARD CAR-FLOOR PLAN.
simply to rearrange the layout-of the rear platfowL by:
installing railings to
separate the boarding passengers
from the-disembarking-ones. Eaelttraffie.flow·would have
its own
door into the main part of the car, and the
conductor would be stationed, with his farebox, on the
platform between these two doors.
The platform was
made long enough to accommodate all passengers getting
on at a given stop, so the car could move on (at the signal
of the conductor) while the fares were being collected.
Disembarking passengers would have the option of
getting off
at the rear, or proceeding to the front, where
tbeplatf&m-was-sttfficiently large to allow them to get off
without bothering the motorman.
Most
of these ideas, including the concept of
paying on entering, had been tried before, usually with
limited success. In fact the double
door in the rear
bulkhead was a patented design (called the
~ccelerator) of the Brownell Car Company in St. Louis.
A
rare original example of an ~ccelerator is MSR No.
350,
The Rocket, built in 1892. However, it was the
genius of
McDonald and Ross that put these ideas
together and
made them work.
The Worlds first Pay-As-You-Enter Cal; No. 890 just after its completion early in May, 1905. The remplatform, brass rails and
double doors are plainly visible. CRHAArchives, Fonds Montreal Tramway Company, P042.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507 160 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
Two first generation PAYE cars (916 and 920) pass each other late in 1905 or early in 1906. The large red number plate on 916
is plainly visible, as is the Sleeman fendel: There certainly is not much clearance between the two cars; it is time to re-align the
track on which 920 stands, for the car has a pronounced lean.
CRHAArchives, Fonds Montreal Tramway Company, P042.
On May4, 1905 a new car, number890, appeared
on the streets of Montreal. This car embodied all the new
ideas given above,
and was therefore the worlds first true
PAYE car. It remained in service about 18 days, when it
was temporarily
retired because of an accident (not
related to its PAYE features). Soon repaired, it was
renumbered 900, showing that it was the first of a new
series.
One change that was made was that the car number
on the front of the dash was made very much larger and
painted
on a large red rectangle. This was visible for
several blocks and was
the indication that here was a
PAYE
car, and intending passengers should have their
fares ready.
Before the end of 1905, twenty more similar
cars had been built, a
number of older cars had been
converted, and the second generation of much larger
PAYE cars was
on the drawing board. Eventually, many of
the older cars, including single-truckers, were converted,
and by 1920 virtually the entire system was PAYE. The
concept of Pay-As-You-Enterwas a success.
On December 14, 1905 the Canadian Street
Railway Association held its quarterly meeting at St.
Catharines, Ontario. The major speech was about the new
PAYE system.
Due to the absence of Mr. McDonald, the
speech was read by Secretary Dubee of the MSR. The
proceedings were reported in The Railway and Marine
World for January 1906, and, as it tells the story with
considerable detail,
is reprinted, almost in its entirety,
below:
BEST SYSTEM
OF COLLECTING FARES.
In
the unavoidable absence of D. McDonald,
M.LE.E., Manager, Montreal St. Ry., the following
paper, written by him, was read by P. Dubee, Secretary of
the Company:-
The collection of fares is a velY important and
interesting
subject, and too much cannot be said or written
about
it. If the same amount of deep thinking that is being
given constantly to the less important technical questions
JULY -AUGUST 2005
that interest us all, should be devoted to the consideration of
our modes of collecting, the results would, I am sure, prove
mwvelously profitable to
most companies. After more than a
half-centurys experience in operating street
cars, it must be
admitted that
our so-called systems of collecting are perhaps
the
most defective part of our organization. If the losses
incurred yearly by the missing
and purloining of fares could
be computed with any degree
of accuracy, the revelation
would prove astounding to us
all. This large and extensive x
which managers agree to call 5, 10, or 15%, amounts in most
cases to a larger sum than most street railways pay in
dividends,
and the comparison presents itself still more
stlikingly when we consider that this dead loss, or whatever
part
of it we can succeed in saving,. is..notanlyan increase of
earnings but a clear net benefit. It is hardly necessary to go
into the detailed enumeration
of the different methods in
which
our little grains of sand are being gathered. These
inherent defects are so patent
and publicly known that any of
our patrons, so disposed, can relate to us precise information
about them, without, however being able to suggest any
effective remedy for the
evil. Therefore to save time I Will
limit
myself to a short mention of the different systems that
you all know so well, just to help us to face this difficult
question in the proper manner.
1st.: The
register. On this continent the register
seems to have proved the
most acceptable to American
companies who, however, are far from being satisfied with its
elastic guarantee.
It is too often beaten, and tampered with to
enable us to
recommend it as anything like an ideal system;
and the missing of fares, especially in crowded cars, is not
diminished by its operation, although it must be said that
outside
of lUsh hours its automatic figuring does assist the
conductor to a certain extent to keep tab
on new alTivals.
Owing to the increase in the use
of tickets in the US., the
register
is daily becoming less satisfactory on account
of the
difficulty
of recording different pliced fares. The register is,
161 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
howevel; accepted and tolerated for want of a
better method.
2nd.: The portable fare box, cWTied by conductors,
is generally adopted on our side of the line, and the best
algument in its favor is perhaps that the fare receipts by the
use
of this box are prevented to a great extent from straying
into the
pocket of a third party, and go direct from the patrons
hand to the companys office, which is a considerable
advantage.
Another point in favor of the box is that the fare
must be deposited in the box by the passengel; and if this is
not done the patron is immediately made aware of the fact
that the conductor has failed in his duty.
As to the preventing
of missing fares, it cannot be said that the box system is any
more effective in this respect than the
register.
3rd.: Receipt system. The European system for
giving a receipt forevelY fare
and having inspectors to control
the issue
of the receipt is another mode of collecting which
has only
met with partial success, for many reasons. The fact
that the inspector can only check a small portion
of the
receipts issued renders it
very undesirable, and the complete
checking
of all receipts, which would require a velY large
number of inspectors, would only lead to a greater difficuLty,
probably a
mutual understanding between inspectors and
conductors, which would prove equally disastrous. The re­
issuing of receipts already used and the difficulty of
preventing this abuse is another great defect in this system.
The wliter has
had considerable experience in the general
working
of the receipt system on a large number of European
roads,
and is of the opinion that this mode of collecting is
fairly adaptable to long suburban
or interurban nms, but in
city service it is
velY much disliked by passengers who protest
against being disturbed or annoyed
on short trips to produce
their receipts for inspection. Again the missing
of fares is not
safeguarded by the use
of this system, and the failures to
collect in rush traffic are
just as numerous as with our
American systems.
Just rolled
out on the transfer table at the G. C. Khulman factOlY at Collinwood Ohio on Januwy 9, 1907, Montreal Street
Railway No.
861 is displayed, brand new. Note that it is body and trucks only; the remainder of the equipment was installed in
Montreal. This represented the OIiginal PA
YE principal carried to the ultimate; a very large car with extra-long rearplatform. 861
served Montreal for
many years (albeit with shorterplatfOlms) being retired in 1952. Sister car 859 is at the Canadian Railway
Museum / Exporai/. NationalArchives
of Canada, Merrilees Collection, photo No. PA -166521.
RAIL CANADIEN • 507 162 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
A close up photo of the rearplatfOim of MSR 829 at the Kuhlman
factory
on JanualY 9, 1907. This clearly shows all the features
described in the article. Note the bracket for holding the farebox atop
the brass railing. When the present type
of fa reb ox was adopted about
1920, it was
mounted in about the same position, as well as a wooden
tray to
make change. In lateryears a folding seat on the rear bulkhead
was provided for the can ductal: The brass rails to separate bOalding
and alighting passengers are clearly shown, as are the double doors,
and the drain slots to prevent water build-up on the platform.
National Archives of Canada, Menilees Collection, photo No. PA-
166507.
A close up
of the spacious front platform of car 829, taken at Collinwood on
JanualY 9, 1907. Clearly indicated is the exit path where passengers could get
off without disturbing the motorman. The controller and other equipment was
installed in Montreal. The cars were
so long that the warning to be careful at
clllves was velY important! National Archives
of Canada, Menilees
Collection, photo No.
PA -164673.
4th.: The system
of giving prizes to be drawn for by
the holders
of receipt coupons is claimed to be an
improvement
on the receipt system, but even if this 10ttelY
business could be legally practiced in our counliy, it would
only partially protect against the losses above mentioned.
These three or four different ways
of collecting are
the
most in vogue universally, and we are forced to admit that
they are
one and all essentially deficient. Each and evelY one
of them impose an impossible task on the conductOi; who by
these methods cannot be strictly held
to the integral
collection
of all his fares. Twenty-five people enter a car and
pay their fare, 25 more are taken on in the next few blocks,
and after they have been well mingled and mixed up with
those who have already paid, the
poor conductor is expected
to go and pick them out without missing any -a velY difficult
task which
must pelforce be only pal1ly accomplished. The
above facts have forced us to the conclusion that our
modes
Interior view of MSR 829, looking towards the real; taken at
the
Kuhlman factOiY on JanualY 9, 1907. The interior of the
double
dOOiways are clearly shown. Note that the light fixtures
a
nd other accesOiies were not yet installed; this would be done
in Montreal. National Archives
of Canada, MelTilees
Collection,photoNo. PA-166511.
of collecting up to recently are un-business like and
impractical, and that to improve them we must furnish our
conductors with some systematic
means of following his
collection
of fares, and prevent that doubtful and groping
sentiment that places
him at the mercy of forgetful or ill­
disposed passengers.
The only ideal system
of collecting in vogue to-day
is the positive system,
as it is worked on subways and elevated
railways, where passengers have to
pay before entering the
car
on which they desire to travel. We are all thoroughly
convinced that the application
of this system to our sUfface
operation,
if it were practicable, would be a source of great
benefit,
and we would immediately cease to tribulate on this
subject. Unfortunately it
is not possible to adopt this method
integrally on sUiface cars, but we are persuaded that the best
means of improving our fare collection is to adopt the
elevated system as
much as possible.
JULY -AUGUST 2005
Once PAYE had proved itself some of
the older cars were convel1ed. This
photo, taken about 1910, shows No.
854 after conversion. Note that this
is
an even-numbered 800 (of the 790
class, built in 1904)
and is quite
different from the
much larger and
newer odd-numbered cars like 829,
857, 859 and 861. By 1910the Sleeman
fender was
out of use, and the company
had adopted the design that was to last
for the remainder
of the street car era.
CRHA Archives, Fonds Montreal
Tramway Company, P042.
With this idea in
view, we are at present
experimenting with a new
make of car in Montreal; that
permits
of the application of a very positive mode of
collecting, the nearest approach to the exemplary system
above mentioned. These new
cars, known as the Pay as you
enter cars have been in operation for several
months and are
giving good results. Our comparative statements show that
earnings on this style
of car are much higher than on other
cars where collecting
is done in the old way. The new car has,
in place
of a 5 ft. platfOfm one of 7 ft., and instead of an
163
t.
CANADIAN RAIL • 507
A dramatic test showing how PAYE
could handle large crowds. There
seems to be
no confusion between
boarding
and alighting passengers; the
brass railing
and the double doors keep
them sepm:ate. Note the passenger
sitting
on the rear window sill (behind
the second brass rail), calmly smoking
a cigarette.
Smoking at the back of the
rear
platfonn was pelfectly legal until
1913 when all smoking on city cars was
prohibited in the interest
of speeding up
loading and unloading. This
demonstration was conducted in 1907
using brand-new car 857, one of the
large second generation
PAYE cars.
This car
is identical to 829 and 861,
shown in builders photos,
and also to
859 which is preselved at the Canadian
Railway
Museum / Exporail.
CRHA Archives, Fonds Montreal
Tramway Company, P042.
ordinmy door placed in the centre
of the rear end there are
two doors, the brass railings leading up from the steps
dividing the platform into two aisles. The door
to the left is to
be utilized entirely by persons entering the
car, and the other
solely by those desiring to leave. This
is al7anged and made
arbitrary by the fact that while one of these doors opens
inward only, the other opens only outward. When the
passenger steps on the platform, which
is amply lmge for 30
adults, he
is met by the conductor who requests a fare before
he enters; in other words, the platfOfm
is the pay office on the
RAIL CANADIEN • 507
cm: The passenger then passes on through the entrance door
into the
cm; from which he may make his exit at any time,
either
by the front entrance or by the rear door designed for
the pUlpose. The conducto/; having
no fares to collect from
passengers in the
cm; can remain at his post on the platform,
giving. such attention as
is necessary to the passengers getting
on or
off the cm: The co;uluctor is also provided with a
receptacle into which the farebox fits, so that
he may when
necessmy have both hands
free, and at the same time not
miss fares.
As these cars are all provided with electric buttons
A fO/mer open car converted to PA
YE
was No. 655, built in 1901. This series
of 25 cars was converted to closed
configuration
in 1912, at the same time
as which the platforms
were rebuilt for
PAY£. Here we see it at St. Hel1li
cm·barn on May
21, 1914, ready to go
into service on the Mountain Belt
Line.
Since this involved rural lunning, a
headlight was fitted, obscuring the
middle digit
of the nwnbel: By 1914 the
big red number plate was nearing the
end
of its cm·eel; for late in 1913 the
Montreal Tramways Co.
had adopted
a colour scheme
of green with yellow
lettering. This
is plainly visible on car
1280 alongside. However the
large
front numbers were retained in the new
paint scheme, and were used, on the
older cars, until the early 1940s.
CRHA Archives, Fonds Montreal
Tram way Company, P042.
164 JUILLET -AOOT 2005
as well as the usual signal cord, the passenger can easily and
at all times make his desires known without having the
conductor
at his elbow.
Another improvement in the new design is the exit
from the front platform. This portion
of the car being more
spacious than usual, not only gives the motO/man ample
room, but divides
him from the rear portion of his platform
by a brass railing. At the motO/mans foot is a catch, which,
when released by pressure, throws open the
door
automatically; thus making it unnecessary for the man in
A velY rare (for Montreal) example
of a
double-ended PAYE car is this
conversion of No. 640. Originally built
as a single-ender in 1900,
it was later
converted to PAYE,
and still later
converted to a
double-enda Note that
there was no front
exit, and it also had
doors on the rear platfOim to prevent
passengers from using the wrong side.
Here
we see 640, on October 1,1912, on
Westmount Boulevard near Cote des
Neiges, during track reconstluctiol1.
Note that 640
is liding on a shoo fly
track laid right on top
of the regular
track! Double-enders like this were used
on short lines before the Birney cars were
acquired
in the 1920s. The fenders on
the car
are the old basket type, first
used in the 1890s.
Collection
FredAngus
JULY -AUGUST 2005
165 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
. SteelPay-As-You-Enter: Car of. Chicago. Railways -Co;;-·ehicago.
Pay=As=You= Enter Cars Everywhere
Prove heyond all l(uestion that under any and all operating conditions
the Pay-As-You-Enter plan is the most effective method of eliminating
platform accidents, increasing collections and improving schedules.
Over 4,000
operating or ordered. Want details?
Semi-Convertible Pay-As-You-Enter Car of Third Ave. Ry. Co., New York.
Y,;e license manufacturers and railways to build and use the
Pay-As-You-Enter Car, the patents on WhlCh are owned by
The Pay-As-You-Enter Car Corporation
DU:CN McDOl.LD
Pre~idenl
50 Church Street, New York
THOS. W. CASEY
Yiallager
By 1909 the PAYE concept was being actively promoted throughout the United States by the Pay-As-You-Enter Car
COIporation
o/which Duncan McDonald was President. This advertisement appeared in the Street Railwaylournal that yem:
RAIL CANADIEN • 507 166 JUILLET -AOUT 2005
A Lesson from Columbus, Ohio

Pay-as-You-Enter Car of the Columbus Railway & Light Co., Columbus, Ohio.
A Lesson from Portland, Oregon
.-
Pay-as-You-Enter Car of the Portland Railway, Light & Power Co Portland, Ore,
We license manufacturers and railways to build and use the
Pay-As-You-Enter Car, the patents on which are owned by
The Pay-As~Y ou-Enter Car Corporation
50 Church Street, New York
DUNCAN McDONALD
I . . Pr(:sident
.
Another ad for the Pay-As-You-Enter Car COlporation , also from the Street Railway] oumal of 1909. nros.
W. CASEY
Manager
JULY -AUGUST 2005
charge
of the motors to even raise his hand or tum his head.
In view
of the fact that serious accidents on street cars
happen at the
back platform when the conductor is busy
collecting fares inside the
car, and unable to properly gauge
stops
and starts, the new design is considered most
important. The saving of time is also a great advantage, as
passengers begin to enter immediately the car stops, without
having to wait
for passengers getting off. The moment
in tending passengers are all safely landed on the platform the
car
is started, and in a few seconds after this, fares are all
collected before reaching the next stop.
A large
number is painted on the front dash of the
car, so as to indicate to intending passengers, who can see it
blocks away, that a
new style of car is coming or Get your
fare ready, please, and it is pleasing to note how quickly they
do prepare, and how quickly ten, fifteen or twenty passengers
can be collected
and served with transfers with this system.
We are of the opinion that to improve our mode of
collecting fares and save our losses, a radical departure must
be made from the old method, and we must by the adoption
of a positive business-like system, such as prevails in all other
lines
of transpOitation and regular business, get the best
cinch possible
on our well-earned receipts, for even if we do
say it ourselves, we deliver the goods every time, and where
can
you get better value for your money?
In the discussion which followed the reading of the
paper it was stated that during the first
month one of the new
cars described by M,:
McDonald was in operation, the
receipts
from it showed an increase of 15% over the old style
of car.
The question box was then taken up: One member
asked :-What is the best, most practicable and surest way of
handling passengers so that a fare maybe collected from
every one of them? This was answered by the Managing
Director
of the Montreal St. Ry.: -Collect the fares as the
passengers enter into the car from the platfOlm. The
GeneraLManager
of the Quebec.Ry_, Light and Power Co.,
answered:-The
method adopted by the Montreal St. Ry. is
the best at present known .
167 CANADIAN RAIL • 507
Once established in Montreal, the PAYE system
went on to bigger things. Mr. McDonald, patented the
design, formed the Pay-As-You-Enter
Car Corporation,
and actively
promoted the concept throughout North
America.
Many larger cities, such as New York and
Chicago,
took to the idea, and soon PAYE was in use in
very many places. As for the MSR, a newspaper article of
August 1907 reported Montreal Street Railway is
showing no let-up to its remarkable gross earnings, and
the increases over last year
continue at the rate of more
than $1000 a day.
Gradually smaller systems
adopted PAYE, albeit
in somewhat modified form.
For example, Saint John
N.B. placed its first three PAYE cars (Nos. 80, 82, 84) in
service in January 1913. In the next few years, especially
with the introduction
of one-man operation; the system
_
became well-nigh universal in North America. Not so in
other parts of the world, where fares are frequently
collected by
the old method. In fact your editor observed,
on a trip to Latvia in June 2005, that one still boards the
tram, finds a seat, and waits for the
conductor to come
around, just as was done 100 years ago. With the new
generation of smart cards and the honour system the
whole
method of fare collection is changing again, so it is
timely to look back at the PAYE revolution of 1905 that
h as served us so well.
Examples
of the original concept of PAYE cars
are rare survivors today. Perhaps the oldest existing is a
1906 Chicago car at the Illinois Railway
Museum, but a
very close second, and much
more true to the original
concept,
is MSR 859 at the Canadian Railway Museum /
Exporail. This wooden car, built by Kuhlman in 1906 and
placed in service in 1907,
is one of the second
generation PAYE cars that followed close on the original
prototype established
by 890. In addition, MSR steel car
997, built in 1911, has also been restored to its original
configuration.
These historical relics are true reminders
of a concept that changed the whole art of fare collection
a century ago.
Although the new steel901-class cars were in selvice
by 1910, the
MSR chose to grace the cover of their
50th anniversalY
annual report with a dra wing of the
703-class second generation
PAYE Cal; which was
larger
and more impressive. FredAngus collection
BACK COVER TOP: The first steel PAYE cars built in Canada were the MSRs 901 (odd numbered) class constlUcted by
Ottawa Car Co. in 1910
and 1911. Here we see 997, restored to its original configuration, complete with big red numberplate, at
the Canadian Railway Museum on May 9, 1965. Photo by Fred Angus
BA CK CO VER BOTTOM: Wallace Thung caught B. C. Electlic car No. 123011 Crombie Street at Victory Square in Vancouver
on August 17, 1950. This is one of only two known colour photos of the Vancouver obselvation cars. Photo Hel1lY Ewert
Collection.
This issue of Canadian Rail was delivered to the printer on August 30, 2005

Demande en ligne