Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 385 1985

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 385 1985

Canadian
• • •
No. 385
MARCH-APRIL
1985

NAil
Published bi-monthly by the Canadian Railroad Historical
Association
P.O. Box 148 St. Constant PQ. JOL 1XO.
Subscription rates $23.00
(US funds if outside Canada)
EDITOR: Fred F Angus
CO-EDITOR: M. Peter Murphy
OFFICIAL CARTOGRAPHER: William A Germaniuk
LAYOUT: Michel Paulet
FRONT COVER:
BACK IN
1948 one of the main exhibits at the
International Trade Fair, held in Toronto, was the first
production diesel locomotive built in Canada; CPR. No.
7077 then newly completed by Montreal Locomotive
Works. Thirty-six years later this historic locomotive was
retired
and has now been preserved at the Canadian
Railway Museum at Delson / St. Constant.
Canadian Pacific photo.
INSIDE FRONT COVER:
The
original CPR. steel bridge across the Fraser River
at Cisco B.C. as photographed about 1900. The lower
photo taken around 1955 shows the bridge as re­
located to its present position. Credit top photo CP
Corporate Archives, lower photo Omer Lavallee
collection.
KEYSTONE DIVISION
14 Reynolds Bay
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3K OM4
IL
ISSN 0008-4875
NEW BRUNSWICK DIVISION
P.O.
Box 1162
Saint
John,
New Brunswick E2L 4G7
ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY DIVISION
P.O.
Box 22 Station B
Montreal. Que. H3B 3J5
BYTOWN RAILWAY SOCIETY
P.O.
Box 141, Station A
Ottawa,
Ontario K1 N 8V1
TORONTO & YORK DIVISION
P.O.
Box 5849, Terminal A,
Toronto Ontario M5W 1 P3
WINDSOR-ESSEX DIVISION
300 Cabana Road East,
Windsor Ontario N9G 1A2
GRAND RIVER DIVISION
P.O. Box 603
Cambridge, Ontario
N1 R 5W1
NIAGARA DIVISION
P.O. Box 593
St. Catha rines,
Ontario L2R 6W8
ROCKY
MOUNTAIN DIVISION
P.O. Box 6102, Station C,
Edmonton Alberta T5B 2NO
CALGARY & SOUTH WESTERN DIVISION
60 -6100, 4th Ave. NE
Calgary, Alberta T2A 5Z8
CROWSNEST
& KETTLE-VALLEY DIVISION
P.O. Box 400
Cranbrook, British Columbia
V1C 4H9
PACIFIC COAST DIVISION
P.O. Box 1006, Station A,
Vancouver British Columbia V6C 2P1
Jhe Great Cantilever
One Hundred Years Later
by Michael Batten
Vancouver Islands Esquimalt and lJanaimo
Railway
is perhaps best known to railfans for the
longevity
of its unique Canadian fleet of Baldwin
DRS44-10 road-switchers, and, more recently,
for the successful fight by local residents to save
its passenger services. Among the general public,
the E&N
is renowned for the beautiful scenery
along the line, particularly over the ridge
of moun­
tains north
of Victoria known as the Malahat.
Especially impressive
is the railways crossing of
Niagara Canyon at mileage 14.0 from Victoria.
Today, nearly a
century after the railway was
opened, the dizzying transit of this deep gully,
260 feet above the streambed,
is still a scenic
highlight
of the train trip from Victoria to Cour­
tenay. But although the view and the scenery
are magnificent, the bridge carrying the line across
the canyon is also worthy of note. Now in its se­
cond location, the bridge was, when opened at its original site one hundred years ago, one
of the
most imposing engineering works on the
Cana­
dian Pacific Railways transcontinental main line.
The bridgess subsequent history provides
some
interesting footnotes to that of the Esquimalt
and Nanaimo Railway.
Niagara Canyon
was first bridged in the summer
of 1885 two years after the syndicate headed by
Robert Dunsmuir had secured the contract to
build and operate a line of railway between Vic­
toria and lJanaimo. Clearing
of the right-of-way
began at the northern end of the route in the fall
of 1884, and in February, 1885, AJ. McLellan was
awarded the contract to prepare approximately
22 miles of right-of-way from Esquimalt to Cliff­
side, above the shore of Shawnigan Lake. Work
proceeded rapidly on this, the most
difficult part
of the entire undertaking. According to a report
in the Victoria newspaper, the Daily British Col-
THE GREAT CANTILEVER BRIDGE at its first location at Cisco in the Fraser Canyon. One
of Andrew Onderdonks locomotives pulls a single car over the bridge soon after the structure
was completed.
Photo: Provincial
Archives of B.C. C-5233.
CANADIAN
41
R A I L
LOOKING DOWN ON THE CISCO BRIDGE in 1886, soon after it was taken over by the CPR.
Company, we see an empty ballast train pushed by an early CP 4-4-0.
Photo: J.A. Brock and Company.
onist, of May 19, 1885, a five-mile subcontract,
consisting principally of rockwork, the hardest
piece on the whole McLellan
contract, was al­
ready completed for one mile, ready to receive
track.
On August 13, 1885 (exactly one year before
the entire line
to Nanaimo was completed), the
same paper reported
that this subcontract would
all be finished by the first of
October. In fact,
the McLellan contract
in its entirity was com­
pleted by the end of September, according
to
McLellans daughter Winifred; in a letter written
in 1971 she recalls the seven month contract
of the Malahat which
my father had. In those
seven months, 1,050 men had,
in the course of building 22 miles of grade, blasted through five
miles of heavy rockwork, drilled a short tunnel,
and bridged several gullies and canyons, including
Niagara Canyon.
This first Niagara Canyon bridge was one
of
many wooden trestles on the line over the Mala­
hat, albeit one of the larger ones. The intricate
construction,
so typical of these trestles, consumed
400,000 board feet of timber and carried
the
railway 235 feet above the bed of Niagara Creek.
Impressive
as this bridge was, it was assumed by
many
that it would be replaced by more permanent
steel structure, according
to normal practice, as
soon as time and money permitted. However, the
THE ORIGINAL TRESTLE AT NIAGARA CANYON, probably in the late 1880s or early 1890s,
with a southbound train headed by E. & N. locomotive number 3.
Photo: Provincial Archives of B.C. 0-3975.
Niagara Canyon trestle remained in use for nearly
thirty years after its construction, due mainly to
the financial and engineering difficulties associated with its replacement. The bridge was located a few hundred feet
up the canyon from the present
crossing and was on a curve, the original track
alignment being slightly different from
that of today. Indeed, one can
sti II see the rock cutti ng
through which the tracks were brought to the
trestle–even the impressions of
the ties remain
in the ground–although all traces of the bridge
itself have vanished.
In November, 1896, the centre section of the
Niagara Canyon trestle was washed out in heavy
rains. According
to newspaper accounts, the E&N
considered replacing the wooden structure with a steel bridge,
but this was apparently beyond the
companys means; the damaged section was sim­
ply rebuilt. However,
in 1905 the E&N was pur­
chased from
the Dunsmuir family by the Canad­
ian Pacific Railway., which within two years began
an extensive programme to improve and extend the Island line. For many years, improvement followed improvement
as the E&N developed into
CANADIAN
43
R A I L
a busy, well-maintained network of over 200 miles.
The first of many projects, however, was the
strengthening of the line over the Malahat, to
enable heavier trains to be operated. This was
something awaited eagerly by both the business
community and the general public at a time when
the railway was the only quick and efficient means
of transport along the Islands east coast. Heavier
rail was
procured, and many of the trestles were
filled in. The Niagara Canyon trestle, like that
a mile north at Arbutus Canyon, was simply too
high to be filled, and therefore a major expendi­
ture would be needed to bring the crossing up to
the standard of the rest of the line.
On April 23, 1909, the Daily Colonist announced
that the C.P.R. would spend about $120,000 to
install a new cantilever steel bridge over Niagara
canyon. Work on the piers and abutments would
begin immediately, it was reported, and it was
hoped that the bridge would be finished by the
end of the year. By the end of February, 1910,
however, the Colonist reported that the railway
had
only engaged in preliminary operations.
The abutments of the present bridge are dated
1910, so it is obvious that part of the work was
underway by that year. It was not until October
27, 1911, that the Colonist informed its readers
that the new steel bridge at Niagara Canyon was
expected to be ready for traffic within two weeks.
Furthermore, although it was referred to as such,
the bridge was not really new at all, but actually
older than the Esquimalt and Nanimo Railway
itself,
dating from the time of the construction of
the C.P.R. in British Colombia.
When Andrew Onderdonks engineers began
in 1880 to push the C.P.R. through the forbidding
Fraser and Thompson canyons of B.C.s interior,
they quickly realized that although they might be
able
to scrimp and save on almost every other
aspect of the work, they would have to produce
a first-class structure to get the line across the
Fraser River at Cisco, 47.8 miles north of Yale.
The crossing was 525 feet long, and over a hundred
feet above the fast-moving river. The fluctuations
in water level, as well as the speed of the current,
meant that a trestle was out of the question. The
conditions of the site made a cantilever bridge
the most suitable for the crossing. Carried on st­
one piers well above the high-water mark and
able to support itself over the 315-foot clear span,
it would be an impressive bridge, to deal with an
impressive
engineering challenge. The only other
steel cantilever bridge of a similar design then in
use in North America was one carrying the Mic­
higan Central Railroad
over the Niagara River
between Ontario and New York. The relatively
isolated
location of the C.P. R. span, however,
presented construction difficulties not encoun­
tered in southern Ontario, thus the erection of the
Cisco bridge, as it came to be called, would be
,I,
PAlO UP CAPITAt
:-; .1(). 000

~ f.:.
ESTABLISHED 1877 ;, INCORPORATED 1884,
I. tAU LL£ IV
j PRCSIOI:NT, .
THE LETTERHEAD OF THE SAN FRANCISCO BRIDGE COMPANY showing the famous Cisco
bridge. This was
printed in 1884 the year the bridge was built.
Canadian Pacific Corporate Archives.
CANADIAN
44
something of a pioneer operation. The bridge cost
well over a quarter of a million dollars, making
it the most expensive structure on the C.P.R.s
mainline. For
all these reasons, the Great Cantil­
ever Bridge aroused a great deal
of interest among
the residents
of the Fraser Vallet and Vancouver
Island, and its construction was followed closely
in the papers of the day.
The steel for the bridge was prefabricated
in
Newcastle, England, and shipped round the Horn
to San Francisco, whence it was forwarded north
to Port Moody by the San Francisco Bridge Com­
pany, who were responsible for its final assembly.
Such
was the prestige of the job that the company
later embellished its letterhead with an engraving
showing the bridge carrying a train high above
the Fraser.
On January 1, 1884, the Colonist re­
ported that the steel was at Port Moody, ready
for shipment by
rail to the crossing site. By the end
of February, the steel was on site and construction
begun under the direction of the contractor, John
McMullen.
The job was a large one, and a sizeable
if rather
ramshackle and disorderly settlement soon grew
up around the construction site, acquiring the
character of a semi-permanent work camp. The
community was loosely referred
to as 50-Mile Post
or 50-Mile Crossing, it being approximately fifty
miles north of the large town
of Yale. At least
one shipping and forwarding business–Kimball
& Gladwins–opened
an office at 50-Mile to com­
plement its
head office in Yale, in order to take
advantage of the large
if somewhat transient pop­
ulation. Such a community could hardly
be des­cribed
as genteel–a characteristic it shared with
most railway construction camps–and on April
3, the Colonist carried the following report from
Yale Sentinel of March 27:
We are credibly informed that a very dis­
orderly state of things has existed for some
time past
in the vicinity of the 50-Mile Post.
Now that a large force
of workmen are
employed at and near the I ron Bridge Cros­
sing–50-lVIile Post–it is necessary that those
entrusted with maintaining good order and
enforcing the law would
give proper atten­
tion
to the enforcement of the law and
thereby check drunkeness and crime.
It is
hoped that the recent prompt action upon
the part of the authorities
at Lytton, and
Judge Elliot, S.M.,
will have a good effect
along the line, especially at and near the
50-Mile Post.
However roudy they may have been, the labour­
ers appear
to have confined their carousing to
their leisure time, and the construction proceeded
R A I L
fairly quickly. There were two reasons for haste:
first, the falsework for the bridge had
to be removed
before the river
level rose with the spring thaw;
and second,
as long as the bridge remained unfini­
shed, no track could be laid above
the crossing.
By late spring, 1884, all was complete, and on Thursday,
June 12, the bridge was opened. As
far as was possible in the middle of nowhere, the
event was a gala occasion.
In attendance was An­
drew Onderdonk himself, and people came to the
celebration from Victoria,
New Westminster, and
Yale by means
of that eminently Victorian insti­
tution, the Large Party of Excursionists. One
Judge Walkem made the inevitable speech, which
the Colonist, also rather inevitably, said was
able and felicitous. The Large Party of Excur­
sionists clattered back and forth across the bridge
on a string
of open flat cars, and, satisfied at having
performed their civic
duty, went happily home.
Despite its auspicious opening, the cantilever
bridge remained
in use on the main line for less
than thirty years. By the early years of this cen­
tury, the bridge
that had been the most impres­
sive in B.C. was no longer adequate for the in­
creasing weight
of the C.P. R.s main line trains.
It
is not known exactly when the bridge was re­
moved from the Cisco crossing, but the fact that
the E&N was able to announce in 1909 that the
wooden trestle over Niagara Canyon would be
replaced by a cantilever bridge suggests
that by
that date the C.P.R. had already earmarked the
bridge for use on Vancouver Island, although
its installation was
not complete until the end of
1911.
It is interesting, and rather frustrating for the
researcher, to note that although the bridges
installation
in 1884 was accorded ample press
coverage, its relocation
in 1911 received little
attention.
In the context of Island railway news,
it was simply overwhelmed by the flood of de­
velopments
that year. The E&N was about to
open its line to Port Alberni, work was continuing
apace on the B.C. Electric Railways interurban
line from Victoria
to Deep Cove, and construction
was getting underway on the Canadian Ilorthern
Pacifics projected line from Patricia Bay through
Victoria, Sooke, and the Cowchan Valley
to Port
Alberni. Perhaps another explanation for the lack
of coverage
of the new bridge is that the Island
papers felt affronted
that the C.P. R. was giving
the Island a secondhand cast-off from the previous
century instead
of the shiny new bridge such a
prosperous and developing area
so obviously de­
served. Today,
the Niagara Canyon bridge, although
reinforced
in 1940 to accomodate the heavier 0-10
CANADIAN
45
Ten-Wheelers which were assigned to the E&N
that year, is little changed from its configuration
of a hundred years ago, and
is quite capable of
handling the relatively light loads on the E&N.
The Great Cantilever Bridge no longer impres­
ses us with its size, but with its interesting history
and graceful appearance. It
is ironic that the Es­qui malt and Nanaimo Railway was originally built
to placate the residents of Vancouver Island when
R A I L
they learnt that Port Moody, and not Esquimalt,
would
be the western terminus of the C.P.R. A
century later,
the E&N is part of the C.P. system,
and a bridge from
the original transcontinental
line has been
put to good use on Vancouver Is­
land. Thanks to a quirk of history, and the fruga­
lity of
the Canadian Pacific Railway, it is still
possible
to ride over the bridge that was once the
marvel of British Columbia.
VIA TRAIN 198, consisting of RDC-1 No. 6134 crosses the Great Cantilever Bridge at Niagara
Canyon in
April 1984.
Photo:
Michael Batten.
Canadian ~ Musetl1n
on 1984 Operation
Season
David W. Monaghan
January,
1985
INTRODUCTION
Each year,
approximately 250 new members are
introduced
to the Canadian Railroad Historical
Association family. Unless
these new members had
prior
knowledge of the Canadian Railway Museum in
Delson-St. Constant, Quebec, (see map), south of
Montreal; or recently purchased a copy of our
SOUVENIR Book,
we wish to introduce them to our
exhibit of over 1 00 pieces of rolling stock, our model
railway, and
our archives. The Managing-Directors
Report for 1984, which follows, relates the varied
activities in and concerning
our Museum. Our exhibit
will reopen on April 28th., 1985, daily through Labour
Day; and on
week-ends through October 31. Members
(entrance is free). and the public are welcome.
Le Departement des affaires culturelles de Quebec
provides us
with a grant each year, which pays the
salaries of
our professional staff of three, and other
expenses. We are very grateful for this support from Ie
gouvernement de Quebec.
Vol u nteers
to perform a wide variety of work at, or on
behalf of our Museum, are urgently needed. Please
think of some way YOU can contribute to the success of
North Americas largest railway museum.
By most standards the 1984 operating season was a
success for
the Canadian Railway Museum.
Attendance exceeded the 30,000 visitor level for the
first time in eight years while revenues exceeded
original forecasts. This points
to an encouraging trend
which suggests greater public interest in not only the
C.R.M. but also our
industrial heritage.
The
museum was fortunate to be the recipient of
three separate
government projects during the year.
The
first was a Summer Canada Works Project which
provided the museum with 9 students for an average
period
of 12 weeks. Six of these students were
employed as guides. The presence of this number of
guides enabled the
museum to assume a number of
activities
which it had been unable to perform
effectively in the past. In
particular, we were able to provide
regular guided tours for the general public, as
opposed to reserved groups alone.
These
guides performed their duties admirably
throughout the summer session. This was due in great
part to the more detailed and rigorous training provided
for them by Mile Louise Gagnon, who replaced David
Monaghan as animator in April. Mile Gagnons
extensive experience as a guide and interpreter at
Parks Canada has proven
to be of invaluable assistance
to
the development of our school tour and education
programs.
The
remaining three students under this project
worked on the ground and in restoration. The addition
of two students in restoration activities added
considerable
impetus to our on-going restoration and
refurbishing program.
Tell your friends
to come and see us!
~
ST CONSTANT / DELSON
—-
CANADIAN
47
R A I L
During the winter and spring a number of volunteers
worked with Odilon Perrault and Bill Howell in the
refurbishing of CNR trailer # 15767 for our weekend
passenger service. This car was completed in June
after more than 1500 hours of volunteer and part-time
staff time were spent in it
Other restoration projects during the 1984 season
included the repainting of locomotives C.P. # 2928,
CN # 2601, CN # 77 and CP # 8905, Mail-Express
CP # 3618 as well as a variety of other smaller projects.
Ed Lambert has continued his project of restoring
MTC # 1959 for service on the museums site. It is
expected
that the streetcar will be in operation
sometime in 1985. At the same time, a considerable
amount of volunteer labour has gone into the
restoration of Sydney & Louisburg Railway # 4; it is
anticipated that major project will not be completed
until 1986.
The repainting of CP # 8905, the last remaining
Trainmaster in North America, was undoubtedly the
past seasons major project. The project was carried
out by our summer staff, 14 Katimavik participants and
museum volunteers under Mr. Perraults supervision. By
the time that the project was completed, more than
2,500 man hours had been dedicated to it.
Particular credit for the increased activity in the
refurbishing and restoration of our collection belongs
to Odilon Perrault. Since joining the museums
volunteers in early 1982, Odilons energy, experience
and ability to inspire individuals by his example has
done
much to revitalize an area of museum activity
which had laid dormant for some time. An idea of the
impact of his dedication tothe museum can be obtained
from the fact that over the past three seasons, he has
been
intimately involved in the refurbishing of over 15
pieces
of rolling stock. In 1984 he has donated more
than
2,000 hours of his time to the CRM.
In
July the museum took delivery of its new utility
locomotive, CN # 30 – a General Electric 70 Ton
Switcher, which-was purchased from Canadian
National
earlier in the year. Unfortunately, mechanical
problems prevented the unit from being placed into
service immediately .. After considerable time and
energy was spent on repairing the unit by Gordon Hill,
the museums new mechanical supervisor, the unit
was placed into service in late August. The purchase of
The John Molson, with its new coat of paint applied by Odilon Perrault, steams happily by. CRHA President
Dave Johnson is driving.
the # 30 will greatly ease the demands which hav-e
been placed upon such historically significant units as
the Roberval & Saguenay # 20 and C.IJ. rail car
# 15824. -In
August the museum had the misfortune of seeing
Peter Layland, a
volunteer of 22 years service at the
CRM leave Montreal for a new posting in Vancouver.
Train service
during the 1984 operating season was
supervised by M. Jean-Pierre Chartrand and Roger
Desautels. M.
Chartrand was responsible for the co­
ordination of our weekend tram and streetcar
operation,
while M. Desautels was occupied with
switching service and special train movements. Both
gentlemen are to be commended for the smoothly run
operation and absence of any major mishaps.
Two other projects which we received in 1984 were
-.
, .
Canadian Pacific 2928 -Before and after repainting
involved in behind-the-scenes activities which will
enable the museum to function more efficiently. One
project supervised by Ms. Elizabeth Elbourne, was
spons~red by the Canadian Heritage Information
Network, a division of the National Museums of
Canada. The object of this project was to continue the
on-going organization and registration of the CRMs
collection.
The Registration project
was comprised of a project
leader and
three other students who worked a total of
18 weeks at the museum. During that time they not
only established a dark room at the museum but also
succeeded in registering and organizing
our collection
of model
railway equipment. The
third and last project was sponsered by the
National Museum of Science and Technology and was
suggested to the CRM by N.M.S.T.s John Corby.
Comprised of
four engineering students the project
undertook to organize and inventory our collection of
mechanical drawings from the Montreal Locomotive
Works and Canadian Nationals Motion Power Dept. In
less
than 16 weeks the students succeeded in
organizing and producing an
inventory of over 36,000
mechanical drawings. The result of their work is that
the mechanical drawings from the two companies are
now available for research purposes.
During 1984 the museum was fortunate enough to
produce two exhibitions during the off-season. The
first of these, O.B. Buell: Photographer was on display
at
the Concordia University Art Gallery in Montreal in
March. This was the first such exhibition ever mounted
on the work of Buell who was one of the more prolific
photographers working along the C.P.R.s western
main lines in the 1880s. Due to a donation from
Canadian Pacific Ltd. the museum and Concordia
University Art Gallery were able to produce an
illustrated catalogue to accompany the exhibition.
The second exhibition, which opened in the main
lobby of Place Ville-Marie in December, consisted of a
pictural review of 158 years of rail passenger service in Canada.
Funding for this exhibition was provided by
Via Rail Canada. It is expected
that because both these
exhibits generated a considerable amount of public,
more
similar external exhibits will be produced in the
future.
Finally, it
should be pointed out that the efficient
operation of the museum has been due not only to
museum volunteers, part-time and full time staff; but to
the many hours of behind-the-scenes work conducted
by
volunteers who have undertaken responsibility of
the supervising of the administration and development
of the museum.
C. P. 3618, the Mail-Express car. Charlie Dejean painted the roof and undercarriage. Odilon Perrault and Dave
Johnson completed this new coat of paint.
Montreal tramways car 1959, on which Ed Lambert has spent over 800 hours to repair and paint.
CANADIAN
50
R A I L
AN ORIGINAL QUEBEC CITY HORSECAR has now
come to the Canadian Railway Museum. The car was
acquired from the National Museum of Science and
Technology in exchange for trolley bus 4042. This car
was built about 1880 for Quebec City by the John
Stephenson Car Company in New York. It was retired
from passenger service in the 1890s and for years was
roadside diner. This photo shows it in the latter role
about 1964. The car body is virtually intact and still has
much of its century-old window glass.
Our C.N. rotary snow plow receives its new lettering, after being repainted.
CN 77, Canadian Nationals early diesel, with newly painted cattle car & box cars.
CANADIAN
51
R A I L
CN 2601, after being repainted by Odilon Perrault. Standing on the footboard. The paint was provided by a
bequest made in the will of our late member Grier Thornton.
Odilon Perrault relettering CN 5550 Canadian National No 30, our new workhorse, receives
mechanical care De Luxe from Gordon Hill.
CP 8905, in its BEFORE format.
CP 8905 in its AFtER
format in the fall of 1984.
Odilon Perrault,
son Pierre,
and the KITIMA VIK Crew
should feel very proud of
their restoration efforts.
Canadian Pacifics
donation of CP 7077, the first Canadian-built Diesel-Electric PRODUCT/ON locomotive, was
added to our
growing exhibit late in the fall of 1984. Built in May 1948, this S-2 switcher was shown in Toronto
at
the International Trade Fair. It then spent much of its life in the Toronto Terminals, and other Ontario points,
latterly in North Bay.
ebec84 par train
Par: Jacques Messier
Voila plusieurs annees que Ie Quebec avait connu les
belles
heures de la vapeur. Le retour de la 1201 a
Montreal puis a Quebec nous aura rappele quil y a dix
ans,
Ie Quebec assistait aux dernieres performances de
la
6060, a la grande deception des amateurs de chemin
de fer.
Cest
Ie 23 juin 1984 que la 1201 et son convoi aux
vieilles couleurs du C.P., utilise sur une base reguliere
entre Ottawa et Wakefield Quebec, repris la route
dOttawa vers Montreal puis en direction de la ville de
Quebec.
Cest dans
Ie cadre des festivites de Quebec 84 que
Iexcursion fut organisee. Incertaine jusqua la toute
derniere minute, on aura du attendre la veille au soir la
confirmation de cette randonnee historique. Cela
explique peut-etre Ie peu de voyageurs a bord pour
Ialler Ottawa-Montreal.
Resultat dune entente entre certaines compagnies
privees, des organismes dont Ie musee Laure Conan, et
les compagnies ferroviaires, ce voyage de plus de 250
milles allait inaugurer une serie de randonnees
touristiques entre Quebec et La Malbaie pour la periode
estivale.
Maintenant desaffectee au traffic voyageur
depuis 1977, la ligne Quebec-La Malbaie repris de la
popularite grace a la serie televisee Le temps dune
paix, qui fit revivre les splendeurs du paysage du
/
/
comte de Charlevoix. Le cadre des fetes de 1534-1984
allait etre un moment privilegie 8 la redecouverte de ce
coin de pays au site tout a fait particulier.
Le depart dOttawa se fit vers 8h30. Le convoi arriva
en
douce a 1 Oh35 a Dorval, ou il fit un arret de quelques
minutes; histoire de permettre 8 la native de Montreal
de reprendre son souffle, puis en route vers Saint­
Lambert et Quebec. La 1201 devait desservir les
excursions entre Quebec et La Malbaie pendant une
semaine, mais des problemes au niveau de la
Chaudiere obligerent les organisateurs 8 la retourner
vers Ottawa pour les reparations quelques jours apres
son
arrivee a Quebec.
Un convoi
emprunte a la Go Transit de Toronto
assura Ie service tout Iete entre Quebec et La Malbaie.
Le C.N. mis alors en service la locomotive 4027 GP 90
repeinte pour les circonstances.
Malgre la chute du trafic voyageur sur cette ligne,
Ienthousiasme nest certes pas a la baisse puisquil
semble que les excursions Quebec-La Malbaie ont
depasse to utes les esperances et la grande majorite de
ceux qui ont eu la chance deffectuer ce voyage en
furent ravis et voudraient repeter Iexperience. Peut­
etre est-ce 18 Iindice quune nouvelle forme dindustrie
touristique est en voie de naTtre au Quebec …
Jacques Messier
. /
/ ..
/
CANADIAN
Le depart pour la seconde moitie du voyage. De Iautre
cote, les voyageurs attendent Ie train aI/ant vers
Toronto
qui arrive quelques instants plus tard. Ce fut
pour eux un spectacle assez inattendu.
54
R A I L
Photo: Jacques Messier.
Arrivee a Dorval 23 juin 1984 10h35.
Photo: Jacques Messier
Sous Ie regard attentif des quelques curieux, Ie 1201
prepare son depart vers Saint-Lambert et puis Quebec.
.
VANCOUVER ISLANDS
RAILWAYS
By Bob Turner
Next year will mark the centennial of the completion
of the Canadian Pacific Railway to the Pacific Coast at
Port Moody,
just east of Vancouver. Much attention
will be focused on this event, and the opening of the
CPR for regular train service in 1886. However, 1886
also marked the completion of the Esquimalt and
Nanaimo Railway on Vancouver Island, a fact that
should not be overlooked. Originally, Victoria was
designated as the terminus for Canadas
transcontinental railway, but the engineering problems
of
bringing the railway across to Vancouver Island
ultimately precluded a direct connection to the
mainland. Instead, the Esquimalt and Nanaimo was
built as a local line.
However,
the story of railroads on Vancouver Island
predates
the construction of the E & N. In the early
1860s, when the CPR and the E & N were just distant
dreams, the first railroad in western Canada was
established at Nanaimo to haul coal from the early
mines to the shipping wharfs in Nanaimo Harbour. This
was a small, primitive operation using an imported
British-built industrial locomotive, appropriately
named the Pioneer. Gradually, the mining lines
expanded and, by
the 1880s, an extensive system was
in use around Nanaimo. At Wellington, to the north,
other lines also had been built. These railways ran to
Departure Bay and they too were constructed to carry
coal. The
Wellington operations were either built by, or
came under
the control of, Robert Dunsmuir and his
associates.
Dunsmuir was an experienced miner and
business man and he
quickly developed his interests
into an extensive mining empire, becoming one of
British Columbias early industrial magnates.
In
the 1880s, Victoria was the commercial as well as
political capital of the province, but after the completion
of
the CPR, commercial and industrial activity shifted
quickly to Vancouver. Nonetheless, the importance of
the E & N to Victoria and to Vancouver Island was great.
When a decision was finally reached in the 1880s to
build
the Esquimalt and Nanaimo linking Nanaimo with
Victoria, it was Dunsmuir, with the backing of
American railroad barons from the Central Pacific in
California who received the contract from the
Government of Canada. On August 13, 1886, the line
was completed after two years of heavy work. Prime
Minister John A Macdonald visited the Island to drive
the last spike near Shawnigan Lake. Here at the
Provincial Museum, we have a silver-headed cane
presented to Robert
Dunsmuir by his contractors on the
completion of the line.
One of the terms of the agreement between
Dunsmuir and the government was the granting of a
subsidy to aid construction and a large land grant on the
east coast of Vancouver Island. But even with these
aids, it
was not until the early 1900s that the E & N
began
to show operating profits. The real value of the
lands was not realized until much later. Passenger and
freight traffic grew steadily on the E & N and in 1905
the lines was acquired by the Canadian Pacific. The
formalities of the agreement which involved the
purchase of the railway and then its lease to the CPR
were not completed until 1912.
With CPR control came a rapid expansion of the
Islands rai Iway and by World War I, the tracks had been
extended to Port Alberni, Courtenay and Lake
Cowichan. Plans to build north to Campbell Riverwere
stopped by the war. The CPR also undertook many
improvements on the line including replacing early
wooden bridges with cast iron or steel structures.
These bridges are still in use on the E & N and are an
interesting feature of the line. One in particular merits
attention. Just north of Goldstream Provincial Park,
there is a steel cantilever bridge, 529 feet long and 260
feet high over Niagara Canyon. This bridge was
originally used on the CPR main line to cross the Fraser
River at Cisco in
the Fraser Canyon. When a heavier
bridge was required on the main line, the bridge was
dismantled and moved to Vancouver Island. The
original structure was built in 1884 so this year marks
the centennial of the E & Ns most spectacular bridge
on its
route to Nanaimo.
The
present Oayliner service on the E & N, often the
subject of controversy, began in 1955 when the CPR
replaced obsolete wooden passenger equipment with
the self-propelled Oayliners. These cars marked a real
improvement in service, but since that time the service
has
remained essentially unchanged. It is now one of
the few remaining local passenger services in western
Canada and well worth a ride. The route travels
through parts of the Island missed by the highway and
includes many sites of historic interest.
The E & N
was not the only major railway developed
on
Vancouver Island. By the 1920s, Canadian National
had also
built a line out of Victoria. One line ran to
Patricia Bay, near Sidney, while a longer line ran up
Island,
but construction stopped at the west end of
Cowichan Lake and the lines traffic was primarily from
the forest industry in the area. Freight traffic is still
handled between Youbou and Cowichan Bay. However,
CANADIAN
56
R A I L
by far the greatest use of railways on Vancouver Island
was in the forest industry.
Logging railways were built all along the east coast of
the Island and in nearly all the major valley systems.
Between 1900 and the Depression, the systems were
expanded and were the major means of transporting
timber from the logging areas to the mills. After World
War II, however, log hauling was increasingly done
with trucks and the railways were gradually phased out
until only two remain. Both ofthese are modern diesel­
powered systems that have little in common with the
old steam logging lines of generations past. Mining
lines continued to be important at Cumberland and
Nanaimo until the closure of the last mines in the
1950s. There were also two interesting local rail lines
serving Victoria: the Victoria & Sidney -the
Cordwood Limited -and the B.C. Electrics
Interurban line from Victoria to Deep Cove. But these
routes were closed by the mid-1920s as road systems
and the use of the automobile expanded rapidly.
While there are many reminders of railroad history
on the Island, the E & N is the most tangible link with
the past. This is particularly true with the railways
centennial approaching. The E & N offers an
interesting trip on its daily return between Victoria and
Courtenay. Reading the landscape along the route can
be a real exercise
in history and a rewarding one at that.
Bob
Turner
Modern History Division
About The Author
Born several years ago, as he puts it, in Victoria, Bob
Turner earned an Honours BSc in Geography from
UVic, followed by an MSc in Regional Planning from
UBC. In 1974, he joined the BCPM as a Modern History
curator responsible, with Dave Parker, forthe assembly
and operation of the Age of Steam exhibition on the
Museum Train. Since the retirement of the Train, he
has been researching British Columbias
transportation and industrial history.
Supplementing this research, there has been a
steady flow of books, articles and reviews, all produced
in his own time. Bobs latest book, Stern wheelers and
Steam Tugs, appeared in the bookstores last month.
Now he is working on a history of British Columbias
railways while, at the same time, preparing a
temporary exhibition to commemorate the centenary of
the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Re-printed from DISCOVERY, the British Columbia
Museum Quaterly Review, July 1984. Submitted by
Norris Adams.
An Esquimalt and Nanaimo Ry. train at Oualicum station around World War 1.
Photo: Canadian Pacific.
1009 AND THE DRY PIPE.
By Sandy Worthen
One of the stalwart class of ten-wheel steam
locomotives which was rescued from the scrappers
; torch, and is now preserved by the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association is Number 1009 of Canadian
National Railways. This locomotive is now being
restored to
operating condition by the New Brunswick
division of the C. R. H.A. at their Salem and Hillsborough
Railway in New Brunswick.
Number 1009 was one of a group often engines built
by Montreal Locomotive Works, Limited, Montreal,
Quebec, for the firm of OBrien, McDougall and
OGorman, Limited, railway construction contractors.
They were in the process at that time of building
portions of the National Transcontinental Railway,
authorized by the Government of Canada.
She was outs hopped in May 1912. Her builders
number was 51132, order number Q-195. She had
18×24 cylinders and 51-inch drivers. Her boiler
pressure was 160 psig and her tractive effort was 21 %.
When the National Transcontinental was
amalgamated with other lines to form the Canadian
Government Railways, Number 1009 was renumbered
to Number 4529. Upon verbalization of the Canadian
National
Railway Company in 1917, she retained her
number, but in the renumbering of 1957, in
anticipation of the diesel-electric locomotive era on
Canadian National,
she became Number 1165.
The accompanying illustration, taken by Mr. Mendel
Greenblatt of Moncton, New Brunswick and provided
by the late Mr. Ted McQuinn, shows Number 1009 at
Kent
Junction, New Brunswick, on the Kent Northern
Railway portion of CN lines on 01 July, 1938. Number
1009 worked with her sister engine, Number 1008, on
this line for several years. The gentleman in the
photograph is Mr. Bruce M. Brown, Number 1009s
engineer.
The late Mr. McQuinn also provided the following
report to the Master Mechanic, Canadian National
Railways, Campbellton, New Brunswick, which
highlights an interesting episode in the locomotives
history.
REPORT ON C.N.R.
LOCOMOTIVE NO.1 009
FROM RICHIBUCTO N.B.
Dec. 9th. 1936
Subject: Report on Dry Pipe on Engine No.1 009.
To: H.B. Dryden, Master Mechanic
Campbellton, N.B.
Dear Sir:
Dry pipe on Engine N. 1009 leaking ejuite badly.
When engine stands for a short time, for example about
five minutes, the cylinders will fill up with water and
when opening cylinder cocks, water will pour out for
some time before steam comes. Again, when engine
stands in roundhouse overnight, water pours
continually from relief valves.
I have
noticed that when engine has been worked
harder than usual, the pipe seems to leak more.
I
would suggest you make arrangements to have this
engine taken to Campbellton for repairs on pipe when it
goes
in for the next washout.
Engineman,
Bruce M. Brown
AN ECONOMIC HISTORIANS
POINT OF VIEW
By; Sandy Worthen
It may be imagination, but every once in a while it
seems
as though there is a recurring tendency to
describe the development of railways here and afar
from the point of view of regional economics. When
this method is applied to the railways of Scotland and
England, the result is not particularly satisfactory. One
wonders what George Hudson, The Railway King of
England of the 1840s, would have said.
The
author of The Origins of the Scottish Railway
System 1722-1844, Mr. C.JARobertson, Lecturer in
Economics and Social History at the University of St.
Andrews, Scotland, is of the opinion that
by comparison with their English counterparts,
Scottish nineteenth-century railways have
suffered from a degree of neglect by economic
historians.
May be; however, economic historians as a group are
not notably good raconteurs of railway history.
Moreover, it is difficult to overlook the authors
dismissal of O.S.Nocks Scottish Railwaysas
essentially descriptive rather than historical and
John Thomas The North British Railway (and his
other book on the Lowland and the Border railway
history) as typifying the sort of history written by
railway enthusiasts
concentrating mainly on topography, dates of
opening, technical developments and episodes of
an entertaining or eccentric kind.
And, apparently, there are other, similarly
unscholarly histories by other railway-enthusiast
authors, too trivial to mention, except perhaps briefly in
the bibliography.
Having thus cleared the field, Mr. Robertson
proceeds to
chronicle the history -economic, of course
-of Scottish waggonways, which are not railways -any
more
than the father is the son -with some facts and
some speculations about the ancestral Kilmarnock and
Troon Railway. He remarks
There is no easy way of deciding when the
waggonway becomes the railway.
There was a time when such a differentiation was
simple: the waggonway became the railway when the
vehicles on it were pulled by a steam locomotive. Not
so , says Mr. Robertson.
To
insist on the presence of the steam
locomotive seems unnecessary; the Stockton and
Darlington did not become a railway simply
because the directors were persuaded by George
Stephenson to try his engine, and the Edinburgh
and Dalkeith was certainly a railway although it
was pulled by horses through the 1830s and after
the mania.
Somewhat arbitrary, the authors conclusions! Some
recognized authorities on railway history, railway
enthusiasts inter alia and not tillers in the field of
economic history, would not concur. It is not
surprising, therefore, to find onesself at the end of
Chapter One immersed to the neck in detailed
tabulations of construction costs of waggonways and
estimates of potential traffic thereon. Just a matter of
economics!
Mr. Robertson develops the thesis that early railway
construction in the Scottish Lowlands and Border
regions was controlled and directed by the
industrialists and the city/town planners (economists),
rather than by the promoters and contractors, as was
the case generally in that country to the south. If this
were true, it were a grevious error for the time; and may
have accounted in part for the reluctance of capital to
become available rapidly. This resulted in the
restrained rapidity of railway construction in Scotland,
which in England and Europe made the middle
nineteenth century generally an era of rapid
technological and economic progress.
Despite
his distant, early warning about histories
essentially descriptive, and so on, Mr. Robertson
makes
the early days of the Glasgow, Paisley,
Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway come alive; and clarifies
some points which, in the mind of one reader at least,
were something of a conundrum.
Chapter Five, The Battle for the Border, is of
considerable interest. When, in 1836, Joseph Locke,
the Scottish civil engineer, affirmed that
two great lines from Scotland to England cannot
pay,
CANADIAN
59
R A I L
perhaps he was being unduly pessimistic. But he and
others were confronting that wide belt of sparsely
populated land between the industrial centres of the
Scottish Lowlands and the cities of northern England.
It
was no wonder that he felt as he did. In the end, of
course, two main trans-border routes were built, one
on the east coast via Berwick; and one on the west, via
Nithisdale. The
reader may be persuaded that these
routes were determined by government committees,
municipal groups and city/town planners
(economists).
The
final Chapter, Six, of Mr. Robertsons book
presents a summary and some conclusions; in reading
this portion, one must keep in mind always that the
final year being considered is 1844. There seems to be
a
tacit suggestion that the railways of Scotland were
intended initially to be for the sole benefit of that land.
In reality, it
was apparent very early in their
development that their real destiny was to facil itate the
transport of goods and people on the north-south axis
between Scotland and England.
An interesting argument: the author contends that,
with regard to the establishment of rates for freight
(goods) transport on contemporary Scottish railways,
they were formulated on a hit-or-miss method:

… where competition was not to be feared, rates
were presumably set at a level where it was
believed (perhaps by instinct) that the equation
between the volume of traffic attracted, the
revenue per ton-mile and the cost of carriage
yielded the maximum return.
How not? In 1844, with no body of experience to
guide, pray
how else were rates of carriage
established? The author does not enlighten the reader.
There is the recurring criticism in the book that there
were disparities between estimates and results; both in
the costs of creating the railways, and in the eventual
returns from traffic. Should not the same caveat apply?
Concurrently, a fund of experience was being
generated by the railways of England; and it was not
long before the railway promoters there learned the
regrettable lessons of overpromotion; e pluribus
unum, George Hudson, Esquire, sometime Lord Mayor
of York, whose eclipse began in 1849 with ultimate
extinction in 1853.
No, it
will not do. If, as the author states in the
preface, his book is an economic history of the
Scottish railway system 1722-1844, then a sub-title
should have made this clear. As it is, it falls between
the two stools of the amateur and the academic. The
work may be definitive, but it is difficult reading. There
are hundreds of footnotes and a 13-page bibliography
of pre-and post-1860 publications. It is a textbook for
use in universities by economists and economic
historians. It will find a place in public libraries, but
regrettably not in the librairies of the multitude of
railway enthusiasts, amateurs all, who delight in the
writings of O.S.Nock, C. Hamilton Ellis, George Dow,
Charles E. Lee, John Thomas and other railway
historians.
THE
ORIGIN OF THE SCOTTISH RAILWAY
SYSTEM 1722-1844.
Robertson, C.J.A.
John Donald Publishers Limited 1983
138 St. Stephen Street, Edinburgh, EH3 5AA, UK
421 pp.; 90 tables; bibliography; index; no illustrations.
ISBN 0 85976 088 X 20 pounds sterling.
A NECESSARY RECORD
By: Sandy Worthen
Some time after the end of World War II, when the
prohibitions surrounding the photography of electric
street and main-line railways had been relaxed,
enthusiasts everywhere began making weekend and
longer visits to various cities across Canada to record
on
film and to write about the physical assets of those
urban/interurban railways still in operation.
One streetcar line which. had managed to survive the
onslaught of the internal-combustion colossus, was
the Sudbury-Copper Cliff Suburban Electric Railway
Company (SCCSERC), to give it its full title, with head­
offices in Sudbury, Ontario, some 250 miles (420 km)
northwest of Toronto, Canadas Queen City.
The SCCSERC (wow!) was incorporated in 1912 and
managed, by
the grace of God and desperate men, to
operated in
whole or in part to the first day of
October, 1950. The story of these 38 years of operation
is as varied as the equipment with which it was
acomplished. In 1948, with camera and notebook, Mr.
John D. Knowles of Toronto, member of the Upper
Canada
Railway Society (UCRS), ventured north­
westward to the mining/smelting complex of
Sudbury/Copper Cliff, to collect pictures and data on
the interurban railway. The first report of this visit was
published in BULLETIN No. 34 of the UCRS in 1952.
The present publication is Nickel Belt Rails Number 3,
presented by Nickel Belt Rails of Sudbury, Ontario and
Fredericton,
New Brunswick.
The SCCSERC
was an unusual· company; it was so for
many reasons, the principal of which was its
equipment, all second-hand except for its one double­
truck, wooden snowplow, built by the Ottawa Car
Manufacturing Company of the Nations capital. There
was a car from the Toronto & York Radial Railway, two
from the fabled Third Avenue Railway System of New
York City, one from Buffalo, NY, one from Cleveland,
Ohio,
two from the Toronto Suburban Railway, six from
the Schuylkill Railway (Girardsville, PAl and four from
the Wilkes-Barre Railways of Wilkes-Barre, PA.
CANADIAN
60
R A I L
Knowledge of this melange would have been enough to
make
any streetcar fan salivate!
In addition to making this second-hand hodgepodge
operate reliably, the Company had to effect a crossing
of the hallowed frontier firmly established long ago by
the Canadian Pacific Railway (Company), in its main­
line and branch-line transits of Sudbury.
Jack Knowles story of how all this was
accomplished, and the subsequent life and times ofthe
SCCSERC, makes good reading. Also enjoyable are the
illustrations, some of which were included in the 1952
UCRS publication, while others were located more
recently. Messrs. W.C. Bailey, R.S. Brown and F.E.
Butts shared their photograph collections for the
publication.
The ingenuity of the lines location (to avoid crossing
the CPR and approaching the slag-dumps at the
smelters) was surprising. Naturally, and particularly on
the Copper Cliff line, the SCCSERC passed mines and
smelters. While it was called a street railway in some
Sudbury newspaper reports, it was really just what its
corporate title said it was: a suburban electric
railway. No frills!
Towards the end of its life, an aging physical plant
was the handwriting on the wall. The terrible swift
sword was the unilateral paving of a section of Lisgar
Street in Sudbury, after some extensive sewer work.
When the contractor paved the street, he paved over
the streetcar tracks, obliging the Company to institute a
temporary bus service. It was the old story of the
thin edge of the wedge: the temporary bus service
became permanent; and soon, additional units
appeared on the property to carry the customers.
At the end of 35 years of faithful service, not much of
the street railway remained, Mr. Knowles writes.
Unexpectedly, the final day of operation was
memorialized by a spectacular grade-crossing
accident. Mr. Knowles observes:
The
railways corporate title outlived the rail
operation by only a year, being dropped in favour
of Sudbury Bus Lines Limited when the company
was reorganized during the fall of 1951.
There are some commendable touches in this soft­
cover book. Tickets, transfers and timetables are
depicted. The
expanding series of maps showing the
location of Sudbury/Copper Cliff is most helpful; as is
the one of downtown Sudbury, where the SCCSERC
became a real
street-railway for a few blocks and
cleverly crossed and recrossed the Canadian Pacifics
main line on the way to Gatchell.
In a
postscriptum, Mr. Dale Wilson of Sudbury
speculates on the future of the SCCSERC, had
Mackenzie and Mann and the Canadian Northern not
been devoured by Canadas federal government and
the automobile become epidemic. For example, the
Company never succeeded in establishing freight
service; the Canadian National, contrary to the
Canadian Northern, not being interested in such an
exchange operation. Electric lines west to Creighton
and east to Coniston would have served a major mine
and smelter complex, respectively, and the towns that
each supported.
These extensions never materialized, but this in no
way diminishes the corporate history. All of us have
our dreams of might-have-beens.
John D. Knowles -and Nickel Belt Rails -story of
THE SUDBURY STREETCARS is a necessary addition
to the stories of some of the smaller streetcar lines in
Canadas medium-sized cities.
THE SUDBURY STREETCARS:
The Sudbury-Copper
Cliff Suburban Electric
Railway Company
John D. Knowles & Nickel Belt Rails
Nickel Belt Rails, Publishers, P.O. Box
483, Station B,
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada P3E 4P6
~2 pp., 64 b&w quarter/half-page iI/us, 4 maps;
tickets,
transfers, TTs iI/us.
First ed.
1983 ISBN 0-920356-03-6 $7.00 pp.
TO ALASKA BY WATER -1899
By: Sandy Worthen
On.examining this soft-cover book and considering
the title, one wonders precisely how it relates to
railways. It might be assumed that it is the story of yet
another dog-team dash for the North Pole, were it not
for the direction of the voyage as described in the sub­
tit!e:
~he Harriman Expedition to Alaska, 1899. Up to
thiS pOint,
the sole indication of its relation to railways
is the name Harriman.
Not many of todays readers of railroad history will
have examined the career of Edward H. Harriman, one
of the best known turn-of-the-century, self-made men.
The
story of his steady development of the Illinois
Central Railroad, as its financial officer, is remarkable.
But even more astonishing was his giant step in
1897, when he was able to block the progress of the
p~estigious Union Pacific Railroad until that companys
dlre~tors offered him a seat on the board. A year later,
Hamman was elected chairman of that board. His
ability, as reflected
in his business career, was
enormous and had brought him seven-figure wealth
and nationwide public recognition.
Biographies have been written of this epitome of the
Horatio Alger legend. Unfortunately, Harrimans
personal papers were destroyed in a warehouse fire in
1913, but by dint of detailed research, Professor
CANADIAN
Goetzmann of the University of Texas at Austin, and
Kay Sloan,
instructor at the same university, have been
able to
reconstruct the story of E.H. Harrimans
expedition to Alaska in 1899 in remarkable detail.
While for many years there had been a casual interest
in this trip amongst interested historians, it took on new
importance when the University of Texas at Austin,
Humanities Research Centre, purchased a copy of the
rare Harriman Souvenir Album of the 1899 venture.
The researchers realized instantly that they had
access not only to an almost forgotten episode in the
history of American exploration, but also to a rich cache
of
Edward S. Curtis photographs, which were quite
unlike his more famous work.
The motivation for the expedition was really quite
simple. Since boyhood, Mr. Harriman had nursed a
desire
to lead an expedition to Alaska -Americas last
frontier -and there hunt and kill the famous Kodiak
bear.
At this present remove of eighty-odd years, such
a consuming desire -and it was a consuming desire –
may seem to have been
somewhat fatuous, but who is
now to gainsay the wish of a man of E.H.Harrimans
accomplishments.
The second chapter of the book on the justification
and organization of the expedition is intriguing. It could
be said without fear of contradiction that the party did
not lack for celebrities and luminaries and their
consorts. Life aboard the good ship S.S.George W.
Elder,
however, was a bit of a bore by any eras
standards! There were no high-jinks, and overt pranks
were frowned upon. Whiskey, cigars and good
talkwere the order of the night, until bedtime, anyway;
while daytime activities included the investigation and
geological, sociological and ecological evaluation of
every piece
of above-water land and life encountered
en route. This examination included glaciers and
icebergs.
Several
mini-expeditions later, in Chapter Three, the
good ship Elder visited Juneau and, at last, in Chapter
Four, the party sailed up the Lynn Canal and arrived at
Skagway,
which had sprung up two years earlier to
serve the transient population of miners. It was the
ocean terminal of the newly-completed White Pass
Railroad.
Mr. Harriman already had arranged for the
members of his expedition to ride over the length of
the line, all the way through the White Pass to Lake
Benhett. Edward
Curtis took (some) pictures; lunch at
Lake Bennett was a triumph. As the train began to make
the return trip,
it was noticed with consternation that
Mr. Harriman was no longer in the party. A hurried return
was made
to retrieve Mr. Harriman and his brother-in­
law, Mr. William Averell. The
two gentlemen had
wandered
off to explore the area. They did not find a
Kodiak bear.
But, in
Chapter Nine, Mr. Harriman did shoot his
Kodiak bear, and one
of the purposes of the expedition
61 R A I L
was fulfilled. Captain Kelly shot this females small
cub. The next day
was the Fourth of July. Festivities
appropriate to these two occasions were organized.
Not
content with the novelty of the White Pass
Railroad and
the two Kodiak bears, Mr. Harrimans
party pressed northward towards the Bering (sic) Sea,
the Pribilof Islands and -Siberia! Some sea-lions were
slaughtered; hundreds of murres were dislodged from
the overhanging cliffs, and green eggs crashed down
behind them from their nests and smashed against the
rocks. Holocaust!
Chapter Eleven is titled artistically: I Dont Give A
Damn If I Never See Any More Scenery, a sentiment
which the reader -by this time -may share. More
specimens are shot/netted/collected by the
scientists in the party. Frederick S. Dellenbaugh,
famous artist and western traveller, mistook two swans
and their cygnets for a male and female polar bear with
an almost predictably fatai result. Bernhard E. Fernow,
Cornell Universitys Dean of the Forestry School,
composed a poem about
the mistake in identity. Byand
by, the Elder returned to Juneau. In the end, and
filled to repletion with specimens, the ship staggered
to
the dock in Seattle, Washington, on July 30, 1899.
A good
time was had by all.
What were the results of the Harriman Expedition to
Alaska? They are described in Chapter Fifteen.
Aside from the excursion to Lake Bennett on the
White Pass Railroad, previously referred to, the railway
interest in this book is confined to a picture of the
Harriman Train -presumably on the Union Pacific
Rail Road -in
colour on the front cover; and repeated in
black and
white on page 17. In the picture of the
Harriman party with the whalers at Port Clarence, there
seem to be the rails of a primitive railway on the dock.
Further information is lacking.
This is a
most interesting account of a turn-of-the­
century capitalists scientific expedition to Alaska. It
was perhaps a whimsical venture, but the authors
affirm that it should be apparent that the Harriman
Expedition was more than a rich mans junket – a
summer vacation in Alaskas wonderland. It was also
more than a grandiose railroad-building scheme, this
last a reference to Harrimans alleged intention to build
a railway from North America to eastern Asia, across
the Behring Strait from the Aleutian IslandS to
Kamchatka.
While it is rankly unfair to excerpt statements out of
context in a review, there is wholehearted agreement
with the second statement, while a degree of
scepticism is maintained regarding the first.
Readers
will arrive at their own conclusions about
the expedition and the account thereof after reading
Chapter Fifteen: Scientific Results. But itwould have
been most agreeable
if Mr. Harriman had had expanded
the story of the White Pass Railroad, recently
completed, along with the islands, islets, glaciers,
fauna, flora and
so on, the details of which were
published subsequently in more than ten volumes.
e. uSlne
THE AMHERST TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOC­
iety, founders of the Cumberland County
Museum, have issued a souvenir trade dollar
for 1985.
This years coin depicts on the obverse the
Chignecto Marine Transport Railway. The en­
gine design
was derived from the Parks Canada
Collection. The reverse again depicts the
Amherst
Town Crest.
The Chignecto Marine Transport
Rai Iway was
one of the most ambitious and unique undertak­
ings in history. The idea was conceived by Henry
George Clopper I(etchum, chief engineer
of the
project. The railway would join the
Northumber­
land Strait and the Bay of Fundy across the Chig­
necto Isthmus.
It would cut 500 miles off the sea
voyage from Montreal to Saint John.
Money
for the project was raised through pri­
vate financing in England and the Canadian govern­
ment made a generous
twenty year subsidy grant.
The
total cost of the railway and equipment was
four million dollars.
Construction
began in 1882 under the comp­
any
known as the Chignecto Marine Transport
Railway Company. Four thousand men were em­
ployed
to Tidnish, and consisted of two tracks,
with rails 110 Ibs. each to a yard. LOOKING
FAR NORTH: The Harriman Expedition to
Alaska, 1899.
Goetzmann, William
H. &
Sloan
Kay Princeton University Press Paperback 1982
PrincelOn, !lew Jersey
08540 USA
ISBN
0-691-00591-5 pbk. 244 pp., 57 b&w quarter /
half-page pictures, 2 maps, 2 sketches.
US $ 8.95
car
The Fort Lawrence dock was capable of con­
taining six ships
of 1000 tons each. It was exca­
vated 40 feet deep,
500 feet long, and 300 feet
wide. Walls
of masonry rose on either side of the
gate,
to retain the waters of the basin. A gate,
30 feet high and 60 feet
wide opened at high tide
o
admit shipping. The vessel to be transported
floated over a grid-iron
which, with a craddle on
it, was immersed at the bottom of the dock. The
gridiron formed a moveable part
of the traclc
When the vessel was secured, it and the cradle
would
be lifted, by means of hydraulic machinery,
onto the tracks. The cradle was 230 feet long
and
40 feet wide. It was carried on 192 wheels
and consisted
of three sections each with sixteen
rows
of four wheels. The vessel would then be
towed across the isthmus by two specially built
locomotives at a speed of from five to ten miles
per hour.
Special masons,
imported from Scotland, were
used to build the dock walls and bridges. Stone
used for culverts was ready cut in Scotland.
By
1891, hoisting machinery was installed at
Amherst, and all
but three mi les of track had been
laid, when shipping companies, fearful of a great
loss of revenue to be suffered when their sea voy­
ages were so curtailed, rushed to Ottawa to make
a protest. They were successful in convincing the
Canadian government
to withdraw all financial
support.
They were able
to persuade the government
due
to larger steamers were replacing smaller wood­
en vessels. These were too large and heavy for the
railway which had a capacity
of 5000 tons. Also,
new
and better railway connections were being
developed around
tile province, which cut into
coastal trade. The line also would be quite slow,
as only one vessel would be moved at one time,
and then in only one direction .
• • • • • •
. · ~o cou,,;· .
.. ,,~ –~ r ..
• ~~ r-~.
. ~ ~.
• ~ p.
• ~ ff •
· ~ c·
. ;;) .
.u /)-<~:
f—~.
L–~
• ~r — _ ~ •
. ~ .. /—~~.
• ~ VALUE ONE DOLLAR AT PARTICIPATING ~~ ••
• ~O DISTRIBUTORS IN AMHERST §.
•• ~ EXPIRESAUG.31.1985 ~~.
· · :N£ TRANS~a~: • •
•••••••
Ketchum worked hard trying to raise the nec­
essary financial capital needed to finish the rail­
way
but was unsuccessful. He died a short time
later and no one had enough courage
left to com­
plete the railway. The Canadian government later
dismantled the railway. Very
little remains of the
railway today, except
for the stone culverts and
bridges.
The profits
from the sale of these trade doll­
ars will be used to aid in the restoration and pre­
servation
of the Cumberland County Museum.
A limited edition
of 5000 nickel bonded steel
coins will
be minted by the Sherrit Mint. Limited
editions
of 50 silver, 125 gold plated and 125
bronze plated conis
will also be minted.
Post paid prices are as follows:
1983
Sold
out
1984 Sold out
1985 N.B.S. -$ 1.75
Silver -31.00
Gold plated 6.75
Bronze
Plated 6.75 The coins
will be available in early January.
Advance orders and
further information can be
obtained from:
The Amherst Trade Dollar Committee
P.
O. Box 686
Amherst, II.S.
B4H 4B8
AN APPROACH WHICH AT TIMES SEEMS TO
blend the words
of Jules Verne and Gulliver
has won the Roundhouse theme pavilion com­
petition.
The proposal call to design Expos theme pav­
ilion on historical transportation and commun­
ications
went out to 30 firms. Fifteen were Can­
adian; 15 international.
From a short list
of four design firms (based
in Vancouver, London, Prague and Woodbury,
New Jersey), EXPO 86 selected the
Prague firm,
Studio Shape, Studio Shape is working with Art
Centrum, the Czechoslovakian government umb­
rella group
for artists and artisans which produced
the successful Czechoslovakian pavilion at Expo 67.
In recognizing the appointment, EXPO
86 Cr­
eative Director Ron Woodall said:
The Czecho­
slovakians
have extremely high standards in a
technical
sense. But the real difference is their
creativity.
It is obvious how committed th~y are
to delivering a prototype concept. Their thinking
is world class.
Giant locomotive wheel: The 10-melr,,-hi/!,b replica oj a 1977 uofeel is
jllSI olle .Ill/prill! il7 liJe CzecbosloItlRiCiIl-desi/!,ned NOlllldholise e.hihits.
The lelescopes olfer prirale /!,lilll/Jses oj often bizarre IrallsjJorlalioli
illleJ1liolls, ji-om lIIecbClllical bOI:W!S on {{heels 10 I1nll110115 /Inlkin/!.
loco
lllol il e.
CANADIAN
64
R A I L
In their proposal Studio Shape stressed their
wish to evoke the world that disappeared, the
world in which brave people realized
their cou­
rageous technical dreams …
We search for a joy­
ful, optimistic and dynamic way of relating the
past.
Jaromir
Hnik and Martin Rajnis have developed
a concept
which both surprises and physically
involves the visitor. Expect:
flving self-propelled
machines. a giant semaphore, theatres housed
inside enormous airplane engines, and the
worlds
oldest Bugatti. The multimedia show, Unknow­
ledged Edisons, draws on a unique collection of
19th century, painted-glass plates used in magic
lanterns.
The Retrospective of Motion pavilion will
be housed in the semi-circular building dating back
to the 19th centu ry.
For decades the Roundhouse,
now located at
the west end
of the main EXPO 86 site, stood not
only as one of Vancouvers key industrial centres
but also as a symbol of the golden age of steam
railroads.
Imperial Oil Limited/Esso Petroleum Canada,
one of Expos corporate participants, is co-spon­
soring the refurbishing
of the Roundhouse, along
with EXPO 86 and B.C. Place. The Roundhouse
will remain as a legacy building after Expo closes.
THE
THEME IS TRANSPORTATION AT EXPO
86 in Vancouver and the railroads will be
well represented with a planned Steam In.
Custodians of operating standard gauge steam
locomotives
from around the world have been
invited
to bring their locomotives to participate.
See, touch, smell, and photograph an Australian
streamlined Pacific, a Chinese Santa Fe, a Niagara
from Mexico, a Black Five ten wheeler from En­
gland and a
141 R Mikado from France. Also ex­
pected in
this impressive display will be Union
Pacific 8444 from Denver, British Columbias
Royal Hudson 2860 and 3716, the 1201
from
Ottawa, and Southern Pacific 4449 from Portland.
Canadian Pacific
has broken ground for its pav­
ilion and VIA Rail is planning one also.
Expo 86
EVERYONES LIPS ARE SEALED, BUT RE­
liable sources say the Japanese have agreed
to come to Expo 86 and bring with them their
experimental, high-speed, magnetic levitation cu­
shion train.
Sources
say a 400-metre (1 ,312-foot) track site
has been reserved on the Expo in Tsukuba in 1985.
It is a remarkable coup for Expo and will put
the show formly on the rails, so to speak.
Both Japan National Railways and Japan
Air
Lines have completed advanced small-scale tes­
ting and have made major steps toward commer­
cial
application for the train.
The Japanese
are constructing a High Speed
Surface Transport (HSST) system at the Tsukuba
show which
will operate on a 400-metre (1,312-
foot) track.
The 44-passenger car
will run at 30 kilometres
an hour, but despite the slow speed, it will be the
first commercial linear train. The same exhibit
will then be packed up and brought over to Van­
couver.
Conventional high-speed trains, such
as the
famed Japanese
bullet network of Shinkansen
and the
even faster French TGV, which runs be~
tween Paris and Marseilles, have limitations in that
speeds above 350 kmh are not possible due to
wheel friction.
The levitation trains ride on a magnetic field
just above the
track and are expected to be able
to reach speeds of 500 km/h.
Cathay Pacific Airways, which will boost its
direct flights
to Hong Kong from Vancouver to
three a week starting May 1, is doing everything
right
it seems.
The company has been given Air Transport
Worlds prestigious
Best Passenger Service Award.
The award
is covered by international airlines as
it signifies the top service in the industry.
S. THE PROVINCE
A FEDERAL APPEALS
COURT TUESDAY REJECTED
a request from Chicago Milwaukee Corp.
stockholders to block the sale of the bankrupt
Milwaukee Roads freight operations to the
Soo Line
Railroad
Co.
The action by the 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals
paved the way for Federal Judge Thomas
R. McMillen
to enter
an order making the sale final.
McMillen gave the $571 million sale preliminary
approval
Feb. 8, despite the fact that the Soo Lines
offer was $210 million less than a bid from the Chicago
& North Western Transportation
Co.
McMillen said a takeover by the Soo Line would
be more in the public interest. He said testimony
showed that a C&NW takeover would create a
monopoly on some Midwest routes and result in C&NW
ownership of many parallel routes, which would lead to
track abandonment and lost jobs.
The appeals court did not take action on another
request from Chicago Milwaukee Corp., the owner of
Milwaukee
Road, that would have directed McMillen to
accept the C&NW bid.
C&IJWs offer legally expires once McMillen enters
his final order. C&NW moved to withdraw its bid Feb. 8
after McMillen announced his intention to approve the
Soo Line offer.
In its
ruling Tuesday, the appeals court indicated that
Chicago Milwaukee stockholders had the right to
appeal McMillens order approving the Soo Line bid.
We emphasize that todays ruling is without
prejudice to any partys right to seek a stay of the entry
of the order in the district court any other relief they
may deem appropriate, the ruling stated.
The
3,1 OO-mile, Chicago-based Milwaukee Road has
been
under bankruptcy reorganization since 1977. The
merger would more than double the size ofthe Soo Line
of Minneapolis, whose majority owner is Canadian
Pacific Ltd.
S. MILWAUKEE SENTINEL Feb 20, 1985 via Fred
Angus.
THE HeS SCARBOROUGH RT RAPID TRANSIT LINE,
linking Kennedy subway station with the
Scarborough City Centre area, opens in late
March, 1985.
The seven-kilometre line, using vehicles designed
and built by the Provinces Urban Transportation
Development Corporation, will be officially opened on
March 22. Saturday, March 23, will be the first day of
service, with free rides for the public between 0900 and
1800 hrs as part of the opening celebrations.
RTs stations are at Kennedy, Lawrence East,
Ellesmere,
Midland, Scarborough Centre (serving the
civic centre and the shopping mall) and McCowan. The
facilities at Scarborough Centre station include the
new TTC-GO bus terminal open since last October;
construction of a large, heated shelter there for GO Bus
passengers is
in the final stretch, with completion
scheduled for the beginning of next month.
The new terminal has six bays for GO Buses and is
situated immediately next to the south end of the
shopping centre.
S. GO INFORMATION via Ted Wickson.
KAA TZA IS THE INDIAN NAME FOR THE BIG LAKE,
beside which Lake Cowichans Station Museum is
located.
The old E & N
Station, built in 1912, was closed in
1975, the year in which the Kaatza Historical Society
was founded. In 1977, the building was donated to the
village
of Lake Cowichan on condition it be moved. B.C.
Forest Products Ltd donated adjacent land, and local
truckers hauled gravel fill for the foundation. Funds from
Lake Days
Celebrations and the Kinsmen Club paid for
the actual moving.
Almost immediately, work began on the much­
needed new roof, with cedar shakes being provided by
local
forest companies. Then, in 1978, the Station was
declared a Heritage Building, and funding from the B.C.
Heritage Trust helped pay for exterior restoration. CP
Rail provided station red paint. Subsequently,
interior restoration has been carried out by members of
the Society and participants in various government
work programs.
When on November 5, 1983, Kaatza Station
Museum was officially opened, some 200 citizens and
visitors were clearly impressed with the attractiveness
of the restored waiting room and office, with the
Agents desk and Morse keys, and with the mural and
displays depicting the logging history of the area.
Particularly popular were the old-fashioned kitchen
and parlour corners in the back room.
They used to come to Cowichan Lake Station to meet
or catch the train; now they come to Kaatza Station
Museum to see how pioneer life was interwoven with
the railway and with the logging and lumbering
industries.
One thing has not changed -the pioneer spirit of
working together that made the museum a reality.
Opening hours are: May / June, September/October
Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
July/August -from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m daily
November to April -groups by appointment
Yvonne Green, Curator
DISCOVERY, July 1984 via Norris Adams.
CANADIAN
1985 WILL BE A MOMENTOUS YEAR IN THE HISTORY
of railways. Throughout summer British Rail
will
be celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Great
Western Railway
which built the line from London
westward to Bristol, Devon and Cornwall, South Wales,
and north to
Birmingham and beyond.
The GWR
won admiration and affection throughout
the world, particularly in the decades before World
War 2
following the visit of its greatest locomotive, King
66 R A I L
George V, to the United States in 1927. This is one of
the steam engines that will be working next year,
hauling enthusiasts specials along Bruneis original
main line to the West, into Gloucestershire and South
Wales.
S. R.W.
N. Drummond, British Rail, Regional H.Q.
125 House 1, Gloucester Street, Swindon, Wiltshire
SN1 1 DL.
THE EMBARGOED NARROW GAUGE DOES was boarded up and the doors barracaded with
show signs of the entended shut down. Weeds two 20 red cti containers. About 25 COFC flats
and young trees have begun to grow in the in the 300,400, 1000, 1100 number series are in
right-of-way and near White-horse Y.T. rock and the station, engine and transfer yard sidings -some
clay debris
from the unstable bluffs along the still with containers in place. Other containers
Yukon River have built up over the railhead. have been made into a wall separating the container
No motive power or maintenance-of-way mach-terminal from the rail yard, for there is still some
inery
is stored outdoors. Most equipment is stored truck-container activity. White Pass fuel trucks
at Skagway, although 2-3 locomotives are reported are busy also, as well as the White Pass bus fleet.
to be at Whitehorse. What is outside is practically Depressed Center car 1200 and green Box 8aggage
all
of the rolling stock fleetboth freight and pass-742 are the only non-flat rolling stock in White-
enger.
At Whitehorse (June 21), the engine shed horse, although at the station, on a very low-key
-display, was Combine (with cupola) 211.
Near McRae, there were a few gondola cont­
ainers,
but nothing at Carcross except the 2-4-0T
Dutchess. However Carcross has replaced Lake
Bennett (again) as the location for the tourists
Sourdough Lunch, which is served to the bus­
loads
of travellers in the WP&Y warehouse. Bennett
is now inaccessable unless you hike in to see the
Rotary and caboose on display, and the d isplay­
Dutchess was
really in need of some cosmetic
repair.
At Skagway (June 22) much more equipment
can be seen, especially at the shops and pier. At
the shops wood van 911 (green and yellow), steel
van
903 (blue, white & orange), and steel van 901
(blue and
white twin stripes) represent the caboose
fleet. Depressed center flats 1201 and 1202 and
a dozen
or so COFC flats in the 300-400, 1000·
1100 series are in the yard. Green box-baggage
708 & box 712, 730, and 754 serving as cabins
are there also.
The truckless boxes are still in the
red with yellow lettering and logo Gateway to
the Yukon. Also present are the former East
Broad
Top triple hoppers 670-683, as is an ex
D&RGW (7) bottom dump gondola 664. Only 4
tank cars remain outdoors, namely ex D&RGW
cars nos. 10, 27, 53, & 57, but none of the newer
tanks in the
70-series. In fact tank 57 had been
mounted on flat 1165 just before the shutdown.
Burned D L535A 102 and 105 (from the round­
house fire of Oct. 1969) are still in the back end
of the yard, although only frame and body shells
remain; whereas
GE 84T Shovel Nose 96 sits behind
the diesel shop on its own trucks. All three loco­
motives are in
yellow & green paint scheme. Cup­
ola-coaches
214 and 216 are the only passenger
cars in the shop area,
the remaining fleet is stored
in
the south yard lead to the piers. Dispite the long
storage,
only 2-3 windows were observed broken.
All 31 Parlor cars which have been in service during
the last decade were stored at this location. These
are 209, and even-numbered 218-226; 234-244;
248; 252-260; 264-288. Names for the cars can be
found in the Railway Passenger Car Annual. The
only change to this list was freshly painted coach
209;
it had lost its cupola (to be found behind
the diesel shop)
but acquired the name Lake Por­
tage
during its rebuild.
Display steamer 2-6-0 52
is in bad physical
shapeoowntown, whereas 2-8-2 195 has been
freshly painted
in an all-black scheme, a change
from the green and black scheme of a few years
ago. On
the docks were 4 more bottom-dump
gons 661-663, & 665, and 30 units of the ore
concentrate side dump container flats in the 300
and 400 series.
In
the meantime Cyprus-Anvil wants to use the
Whitehorse-Skagway highway to truck concen­
trate all year round, but Alaska refuses to agree.
The
other alternative is the WP&Y, so both the
economy and politics -not tourists will be the
deciding factor in whether or not the White Pass
will soon run again.
S. DON McQUEEN
A SIX-MONTH INQUIRY BY THE CANADIAN
Transport Commission (CTC) will examine options
for
breathing new life into branch lines
threatened by abandonment, including the potential for
commercially-operated
freight and commuter shortline
railways. The inquiry was ordered by Transport
Minister Don Mazankowski, who said it stems from the
governments election pledge to explore approaches for
continued branch line use.
The
Minister suggested shortline railways operated
independently from Canadian National and Canadian
Pacific could have a
lower cost component and provide
a new lease on life for these branch lines. Some 260
shortlines are now operating in the United States, and a
recent
CTC report on the Stettler Subdivision in Alberta
found the shortline concept worthy of consideration in
Canada. Having ordered the
line retained, the CTC will
now have the opportunity, through the inquiry, to
fu
rther investigate the Stettler proposa I.
Mr. Mazankowski mentioned the Maniwaki
Subdivision in the National Capital area as another
location
where the CTC inquiry might look favourably at
a
shortline railway. The CTC granted authority to CP
Rail to abandon the line by Dec. 31, 1985, but several
parties are interested in taking over part of the line to
continue operating a steam excursion train.
I n
western Canada, other options to be considered by
the inquiry include the off-track elevator concept, the
role of trucking for those lines affected by
abandonment and greater sharing of lines between CN
and CPo There are other imaginative ideas across the
country, Mr. Mazankowski said. We want to explore
and encourage
new ways and means of utilizing our
existing transportation
infrastructure to the fullest
extent. In this way, we hope to keep our unit tosts to
the minimum.
In
conjunction with the inquiry, the Minister has
asked
the CTC to extend the abandonment date of the
Acadia, Furness, Inwood and Avonlea branch lines in
western Canada, and to reconsider the Preeceville
Subdivision. In addition to
the Stettler Subdivision the
Carleton Subdivision and a portion
of the Gravelbourg­
Shamrock line (SK) have been placed in the basic
network as recommended by the CTC.
The inquiry will also mandate the CTC to review
current standards for federally-funded branch line
rehabilitation. Special emphasis will be placed on
selective rehabilitation which could permit additional
lines to be rehabilitated
while maintaining efficient and
reliable service. Commissioner
Jim McDonough of the
CTCs Western Division will chair the inquiry.
S. TRANSPORT 2000 Dec. 1984.
OUR CONTRIBUTORS TO THE BUSINESS
car this month include: Mr. E. A. Wright,
Mr. AJ. Venus, Lon Marsh, Don McQueen,
C.R.H.A. .
communications
CRHA COMMUNICATIONS is published by the
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
Contributions of items about CRHA Divisions,
members,
etc. including photographs, newspaper
articles are solicited and should be sent to: Bruce
Ballantyne 266 McElroy Drive, Kanata, Ontario
Canada, K2L 1 Y4. Telephone 613-836-5601.
All membership enquiries including change of
address notice should be sent to Jim Patterson,
Membership Services at Box 282, St. Eustache, P.O.
Canada,
J7R 4K2. Telephone 514-473-7766.
Mail for the Canadian Railway Museum and the
Board of Directors of the CRHA should be sent to P.O.
Box 148. St. Constant P.O. Canada JOL 1
XO.
Telephone 514-632-2410.
The addresses of CRHA Divisions appears on page
three of this magazine.
Canadian Rail:
A Saturday Canadian Rail workshop meeting was
held at the Dorval Community Center on March 9,1985
to discuss the future of Canadian Rail in detail. In
attendance were: David Johnson, President CRHA;
Fred
Angus, Editor, Peter Murphy, Production, Stephen
Walbridge, Treasurer; Jim Patterson, Membership
Services; Bruce Ballantyne, Editor of Communications;
Earl Roberts, Editor of Ottawa Branchline; and Albert
Mercantini, Procel Printing. Following is a summary of
items discussed and decisions taken at this special
meeting.
Role of Canadian Rail:
The role of Canadian Rail was defined as the product
of historic research regarding Canadian Railways and
Street
Railway systems. In addition, it is the means of
communication within the CRHA; and we acknowledge
that it isthe onlymeansofcommunicationwith mostof
our members.
Articles on hand:
Fred Angus reported that all articles which are
submitted can be segragated into two categories
1) Those which are dated and must be published as soon as possible,
2) Those which can be held in reserve
for future publication anytime. All articles submitted
are acknowledged in writing by Fred. If a manuscript
including photos is of unusually large size, an expanded
edition of Canadian Rail, without the Business car
section if necessary, will be alloted to present the
article in its complete form in one issue.
Request for manuscripts and
historical research:
Canadian Rail invites members, historical
researchers, etc. to submit manuscripts (illustrated if
possible) for publication. The guidelines for articles
appearing in Canadian Rail are as
follows: The
manuscript shoud be the result of research into
Canadian railroad, street railway history or topic of
current related interest. The length of the illustrated
article should not exceed 26 pages when published,
and in no case exceed
40 pages. Photos should be black
and
white, glossy prints 5 x 7 if possible. Second
choice is color glossy prints; third choice are slides. All
photos should be captioned. The manuscript may be
edited
for punctuation and grammar, if blatent
historical errors are found, the Editor will communicate
with the author. As a general rule pictures of current
wrecks, crashes or other misfortunes or general bad
railway press are not usually published in Canadian
Rail.
Business Car
It was agreed that the Business Car should be a
summary of current events that may become items of
future historical interest. It was noted that Canadian
Rail is
widely circulated in the United States, and
several
countries overseas. As such, our local
members should realize that our magazine is probably
the only way that non-Canadian members can keep
abreast
of timely railway developments in Canada. In
future, each item in Business Car will be credited with
the source, city, month, date, year and contributor.
Communications
Each CRHA Division is requested to assign one
member whose duty it will be to submit Division news
CANADIAN
69
to Bruce Ballantyne in Ottawa by the appointed
deadline. David Monaghan at the Canadian Railway
Museum in De/son/St. Constant will be submitting
Museum news on a regular basis from nowon to better
inform our members as to just whats happening atthe
CRM.
Production
It was decided that every effort must be made to
permit us to hold the line on membership dues at the
end of 1985 if possible. In addition, we addressed the
problem of excessive typographical errors, creasing
cover when the post office folds Canadian Rail, etc. We
agreed to try a newly available type of cover and inside
paper stock which should give improved photo
reproduction, while being less glossy to the eye. Steve
Walbridge will commence checking manuscripts for
grammar and punctuation, in addition to Fred Angus
who will also edit for historical accuracy and overall
acceptability for publication. We will continue to use
the typesetting method of work up with the prospect of
a word processing computer being introduced in the
near future to help cut costs and speed up production
time.
On-time schedule and editorial
deadline
In view of recent production delays due to various
causes, all those associated with the publication of
Canadian Rail have renewed their commitment to
produce the issues on time. Our objective is to mail
each issue
during the first week of the month, to ensure
that it is in your hands by the 15th of the month at the
latest. In order to achieve this goal, it is imperative that
all editorial material be submitted to Fred Angus, Bruce
Ballantyne, or Peter
Murphy no less than 60 days
(2 months) in advance. Any Division wishing to publish
dates of events etc. must take immediate notice of this
established deadline.
Conclusion
Canadian Rail is alive and well. However, a thorough
review and general injection of new enthusiasm is
always helpful. We at Canadian Rail have re-dedicated
ourselves to our official bi-monthly publication, but we
need your help and encouragment. We urge you to
research
the topic of your choice, write articles, submit
photos, communicate your Division news on a regular
basis with Bruce Ballantyne, send Business Car items
to Peter Murphy. Together we can continue to help
Canadian Rail
grow, and remain the voice of Rail
History in Canada.
Peter
Murphy
Co-Editor.
R A I L
THE TREASURER REPORTS
By Stephen Walbridge
The C.R.H.A. Treasurer keeps the Associations
accounts on two basis: one to correspond to the
Membership Year, which is a calendar year; and the
fiscal period, which is from April 1 st. through March
31 st. of the following year.
The
Membership Year -1984 finished on
December 31 st., and permits the Treasurer at this time
to give the members a brief report, although unaudited.
The
Association closed the year with 1,396 paid-up
members, an increase
of 44 over 1983. We mail 1,442
copies of CANADIAN RAIL every two months.
Our revenue totalled C $36,350., which includes
memberships, exchange on U.S. funds, interest
earned, donations, and sales of back issues which,
this year totalled $2,850.
Our Administrative costs totalled $7,370.
CANADIAN RAIL cost $26,425, slightly below budget.
The largest deviation
from budget was in our postage
expense,
which was $5,710, compared with a budget
of $6,835. CANADA POST granted us a Book Rate,
during the year; which extends to our publication a
Federal
Department of Communications subsidy. This
subsidy
was one reason why it was not necessary to
increase
our membership fee for 1985.
The excess of Revenue over Disbursements for 1984
was $2,555; which was almost equal to the sales of
back issues. The message
that the members should
receive from the above is that they are receiving their
moneys worth; while placing zero value on the
hundreds and hundreds of hours oftime volunteered by
the members who write the articles for CANADIAN
RAIL,
who edit them, who attend to the production of
the publication, and who do the accounting; attend
Board meetings, and
donate personal time to perform
dozens of necessary
functions.
May the Treasurer, on behalf of the members, extend
sincere appreciation to the volunteers who make
possible
the publication of CANADIAN RAIL; and who
administer the Association and its many Divisions all in
the interest of the history of Canadian railroads.
NEWS FROM THE DIVISION:
Pacific Coast Division:
The Division held some very interesting meetings
during the last three months of 1984. In October, nine
members participated in a Theme night featuring
bridges. The sites included some in B.C., Alberta, the
Maritimes, the U.S., France, Germany, Switzerland and
Britain.
The November
meeting was a mixed bag. First was a
slide quiz,
then the display and description of a
proposed bridge for the new ALRT by Allan Cruckshank;
and
finally Bob Kerr spoke on railway civil engineering
in China and Canada.
The
December meeting was the Divisions annual
Christmas dinner, followed by the movie The Great
Train Robbery. In January topics included Train
Orders and members slides on the theme water tanks.
Februarys meeting consisted of films; while March
was the Divisions annual meeting; with a presentation
on B.C. Electric Hydro History.
Finally,
the April meeting was another theme night
with members slides on Disasters, Wrecks and other
Unpleasantnesses.
Rocky Mountain Division/A.P.R.A.
The Association has taken delivery of their second
oldest piece
of rolling stock. It is ex-CN tank car #51625
of which little is known except that it was built in 1895.
If any readers have information concerning the car,
please
write to the Association.
A
working group, appropriately called The Vintage
Carriage Group has been formed to manage the
restoration of passenger car No. CP 52. They are
looking
for help and sponsorship to get restoration work
going. It is estimated that as much as $50,000 will be
required to complete the job. Anyone interested should
write to them Yo Mike South, 131 Parkview Green, S.E.
Calgary Alta., T2J 4N4 telephone (403) 278-6768.
Calgary and Soutwestern Division:
The Division also had a technical topic for its
November meeting. The guest speaker was Mr Roy
Nourse of Canadian Western Natural Gas Co, who
gave a talkandfilm entitled Wheels in Motion. While
the topic was general about the use of LNG in
transportation, Mr. Nourse included illustrations of
Union Pacific gas turbine locomotives.
The
meeting was also the Divisions Annual General
Meeting; and the 1984 executive was re-elected by
acclamation. Membership stood at 60 – a 25%
increase.
The
January meeting was the annual Wine and
Cheese Party. The topic
for the February meeting was a
UTDC Video
presentation on ALRT; while the March
meeting was Rails in Britain.
Windsor & Essex Division:
The Division has formed the Save Our Station
(S.O.S.) Committee in order to raise money to repair
their aging Essex station. Help is needed both
financially and physically (to organize and to work on
the station). The property on which the station rests
may become the property of CN Rail, depending on the
outcome of the Canada Southern saga. The outcome
may result in the need to move the station. If you can
help, please contact
the Division.
Toronto & York Division:
The Divisions Annual General Meeting was held on
January 17,1985. The members of the 1985 executive
are:
President:
Jack Bell
Vice President: Chris Kyle
Vice President: Tony Rubin
Secretary:
Hollie Lowry
Museum: Joel Rice
Restoration: Gord
Billinghurst
Directors: John Bicur
Directors: Clayton Langstaff
Directors: Derek Henderson
The Division is planning a tour to MacMillan Yard in
late
April; and will again hold their annual trip to the
Arcade and Attica in June. The T & Y Museum may
become the proud owners of two Canada Packers
freight cars. A decision will have been made by the
time you read this. The donation consists of a box car
and an Ice reefer.
By town Railway Society:
The interior of ex-CP Officials car No 27 (Thurso
Railway) has been
stripped of paint; and the restoration
crew is now busy sanding the inside in preparation for
applying a new finish.
During the extended weekend of March 1 to 4, the
crew travelled north behind the Thurso Railway log
train in Car 27 and the Societys new ex-CP Van. The
two cars were dropped off on a siding in the middle of
nowhere; and the restoration gang spent the weekend
working on the car, eating, socializing etc. It was a
captive crew,
since the only transportation back to
civilization before
Monday afternoon was a persons
own motive power (legs & feet!)
Niagara Division:
On Jan. 30 the Niagara Division of the CRHA held
their annual election of officers.
Elected
for 1985 were: President. Peter Bowen
Vice Pres, George Rout
Treasurer, Ken Gansel
Secretary, Norm Conway
CRHA Director,
Andy Panko
In mid November seven
members of the division
spent a three day weekend in Montreal. Included in the
weekend were commuter trips on both electric and
diesel
powered equipment, a photo trip to Dorval and
the highlight of the weekend, a go anywhere tour ofthe
CRHA museum. To many of us it was a real eye opener
to see what our parent organization has accomplished
at
the museum.
The division held their mid-winter walk on Jan. 10.
This year Peter
Bowen organized a two mile walk down
the Niagara escarpment on the now abandoned New
York Central line to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Built under
the charter of the Erie and Ontario in 1854the right-of­
way provided many interesting photo stops for the 14
members that attended.
Norm Conway
Secretary.
SWITCH LIST
85-
Norman A. McPherson. 1016 Forest Hills Or.,
N
orth Vancouver B.C. V7R lN5 is interested in
obtaining photographs of the following CP
stations in British Columbia: Vancouver.
Coquitlam, Hammond. Fraser Mills, New
Westminster, Mission, Ruby Creek, Odium.
(Petain -prior to WWIIl, Yale, North Bend, Lytton.
Spences Bridge, Ashcroft (prior to the present
station), Chase, Notch Hill. Tappen, Vernon.
Revelstoke,
leanchoil. Nelson. Michel.
Mr. McPherson was a telegrapher for Canadian
Pacific starting in 1943; and at one time or
another worked in each of these stations before
1952.
85-
Gerald Edgar. 416 East Pomeroy, West Chicago
Illinois, 60185 has some Canadian Railway
collectibles (menus. brochures and timetables) to
swap for Chicago Burlington & Quincy or
miscellaneous
menus-any railroad.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
September
20-22 1985
A feature of CONFERENCE 85 will be the
presentation of papers on the thernesof the co
nference
by
members 01 the Association. The themes art:
J
IF YOU NOTICE ANY NEWS ITEMS THAT MAY I
be of interest to our readers please clip them I
and mail along with a black and white crisp
p
hoto if available to The Business Car cia Peter I
Murphy, 75 Sevigny Ave., Dorval, P.Q. H9S 3V8 ..
Please indicate tl1e source of the item so it may be I
correctly credited. ______________ J
BACK COVER:
CALL FOR PAPERS
FOR
CONFERENCE 85
1/ 100 years of the C.PR
21 Preservation of Railway Artifacts
3/ Local Railway History
(Other topics may be covered,
time permitting.)
If you afe interested in making a presentation of 15-
20 minutes In length, please send an abstract to:
Dr. David
W. Johnson
CRHA
P.O. Box
148,
SI Constant Quebec JOLl XO
by July 15, 1985. Note that time may not permit all
papers to be presented. The Program
Committee will
submit presentations for publication in CANADIAN
RAI~, if written manuscripts and photographs are
provided by the authors at the conference.
Abstracts should include:
TI
TLE
Author(s)
Address:
Brief Description:
Telephone Home
Work
Subject area 0100 ye;fS of CPR
o Preservation of
Railway Artifacts
o local Railway History
o Other
Equipment Need
s:
035 mm slide projector
OVHS VCR
o Bela VCR
016 mm movie prOJectLi:
o Other
CN
77 during its rehabifitation process at the Canadian Railway Museum during the summer of 1984. Pierre
Perrault
and friend are shown in action.

Demande en ligne