Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 241 1972

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 241 1972

l.eas 1978
4,Ot.h fl.nnlverear;y-
NO. 241
FEBFl.U.A.FI:V 1972
~ ..


C.A .Andreae.
Province of Ontario, Canada, none is
more suited for the establishment of
a railway museum than the City of Lon­
don. Long identified with botl] of Can­
adas major railways -and not a few
minor ones -London was originally a
focus of activity during the building
of the Great Western Railway of Can­
ada in the 1850
s and 60s.
When this pioneer railway company was purchased by the
Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada, London became the centre of
a network of main-line and branch railways, which connected it wi tIl
of the principal cities and towns in the area. In the second
decade of the twentieth century, Canadian National Railways devel­
oped London as a centre of both passenger and freight revenue and,
more recently, redeveloped the Citys raihray station as tbe core
of a modern office complex.
The sale of the London and port stanley Railway
in 1965 by the City of London to the Canadian
National Rail1Jlays, stimulated many citizens to
ponder the part that railway transportation had
played in the development of the City. TIle
availability of certain railway artifacts 1Jlhich
belor.ged to the L&PS suggested that a rail­
lay museum mlg11t be created.
During the interval of 1967-71,there Has a concerted ef­
fort on the part of tIle Historical ilfuseums Department of Londons
Public Liorary Board,to establish a science and transport museum.
True to the traditi.llnal experience surrounding the creation of a
municipal project, the proposal rapidly degenerated into a series
of endless meetings and conununications, until, wIler. it was finally
forced to make a decision in the spring of 1971,t.he City Council
voiced a flat NO to tile ;1liole proposal.
• • • • •
afternoon suburban train of wooden cars, headed· by paci fic No. 2228, pauses
at the station at Vaudreuil on a summer day in the 19305.
Photo courtesy Canadian Pacific Ry •
preservation,London & Port Stanley Railways r,o. 14 – a 76-foot car,built
in 1917 -is today preserved at the Canadian Railway Museum-Mus8e Ferro-
viaire Cansdien,St. Constant,Qu8. Photo courtesy C.A.Andreae.
The initial concept of a transportation museum
first verbalized in the summer of 1967
Canadas Centennial Year. Or-:e day,the clilrator,
Hr. Gordon McLauchlan, received a telephone call
from a citizen of London, advising him that Can­
adian National Raihmys was storing Number L-2
one of the former London and Port Stanley
Railways electric locomotives, built by Cana­
dian General Electric in 1915 -and a caboose,
in Sarnia, Ontario.
Mr. McLauchlans inquiry about this equipment resulted
in its donation to !Jim, for tile cost of transportation from Sarnia
to London -approximately $ 300. Simultaneously, an L&PS boxcar was
located in London and ViaS also obtained for the proposed musewn.As
far as exhibits were concerned, the project ,las off to a flying
start 1 Volunteer labor was not lacking, as members of tl:Je Forest
Ci ty Raihray Society and model railroad societies were quick to
offer their assistance.
The derivative problems were not long in aris­
ing. Once the equipment was assembled in Lon­
don,there was an immediate problem of storage.
Finally, B.K.& B. Truck Bodies Limited kindly
offered free storage in tlleir yards -the for­
mer Canadian National car shops in London, a­
cquired by B.K.& B. some years ago. As all
the track into the yard had been removed,a tem­
porary siitch and Siding had to be constructed
at a cost of about $ 2,400 •
Until the L&PS equipment was acquired, neither tbe Histor­
ical l-1useums Department nor the Library Board had the remotest in­
tention of establishing a transport museum in the Ci tjT. By the
spring of 196G,a policy for the future museum had been developed
and sources of financial assistance determined. Although it was
decided that the emphasis would be placed on transportation and,in
particular, on raihrays, the overall concept ras and is one of a
science and technology museum. It is planned to stress the inter­
relation betreen science and technology and to demonstrate tiJeir
combined impact on a society, using south,restern Ontario as the
focus. To put it another way, the museum in its final form 1ould
the effect of transportation, industry and commerce on south­
western Cntario during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
But although. an official proposal has been
formulated, money continues to be unavailable
to store the present collection properly and
to commence construction of a permanent mus­
eum. Even
though Londons Library Board has
continued to recommend tile project to the
Council since 1968, no money bas been set asi­
de by the City for t11e project. Despite t11is
lack of municipal support, volunteer labor
and generous amounts of el~thusiasm among rail­
way enthusiasts continue to be readily avail­
In the spring of 1968,the museum obtained the business
car NOVA SCOTIA from the Upper Canada Railway Society for the sum
of $ 1,000. The L&PS motor car Number 4 -built by the Jewett Car
in 1915 -was purchased from the Ontario Science Centre IS
collection at the same time for $ 650. The storage of this in­
creasing number of vehicles -since their arrival in London an in­
creasingly difficult obligation to discharge -required a total of
four moves. Initially,they ,~ere stored on a railway siding in a
disused lumber yard. Later,they spent over a year at Sommerville
Industries Limited.
During the winter of 1970-7l,the collection was moved for
a few weeks to EMCO and it is presently located in one of the ware­
houses at the Canadian Forces Supply and Maintenance Depot. It is
regrettable that,during all of these months, these unique vehicles
have not been available to the citizens of London for inspection.
The only other piece of equipment acquired during
this interval was the very derelict remains of a
single-truck car from the London Street Railway –
rare find, indeed. It was located in Lucan, on­
tario in the spring of 1967 and was trucked to
London. Because of the poor condition of the car
and the subsequent vandalism during storage, the
museum regretfully had to take the decision to
dispose of it,as it was becoming a hazardous lia­
When plans for a permanent museum mature, the Vlestern Fair Associa­
tion has an ex-Canadian National Railways 2-6-0 -built by the
Canadian Locomotive Company,Limited,Kingston,Ontario,in 1910 -on
outdoor display and ,muld give it to the Museum if that organiza­
tion could house it properly. Restoration by volunteer labor would
thus be greatly simplified.
Let us pause for a moment and examine the fr­
amework wi thin , … hich the present Historical
Museums Department,Library Board,City of Lon­
don, Ontario is operated. The London and !>lid­
dlesex Historical Association was organized
in 1904 and individual members began to col­
lect various, regional artifacts to exhibit in
a future museum. This 1laS in keeping Nith the
philosophy that items pertaining to local or
regional history should be collected,preser­
ved and displayed within the region where they
had been used. By 1930, the collections ,ere
housed in the basement of the London Public
. e
Library and, while they were available to the
public for limited examination, the Society and
the Public Library began to press the munici­
pal authorities for a proper museum building.
Responding to this pressure,the City administration in
1958 opened a museum in a former dwelUng house and the Council es­
tablished a Historic Sites and 14useum Committee to supervise its
operation. Two years later,an old private residence was donated to
the City as an site. At this juncture, the City Council de­
ciCed that the administration of the muse um was be cOming too com­
plicated for them and so they delegated the entire responsibility
for tile operation to the London Public Library Board -an entity
which already existed and [lad,in the opinion of the City CounCil,
adequate experience to control the museum operation.
Thus,under the present system, the Historical
Museum must obtain its funds from the Citys
Library Board which,in turn,must seek grants
from the City Council. It is fortunate that
the Library Board is j.n total and complete
agreement with the concept of a science and
transport museum for the City. The immediate
and apparently insurmountable problem is to
convince the Council of the City of London
that a separate,entirely new transportation
museum is urgently required.
The Forest City Railway Society of London, Ontario, was
in September, 1969. Until tile Society was formally organized,
its members were quite unmtareof the transportation museum pro­
posaL Since that date, the Society has worked as closely as pos­
sible with the Historical Museums Department,to assist in the im­
mediate establishment of a transportatior. museum. During the past
two years, the Society has presented two briefs to the City Council
expressing their enthusiastic interest and willingness to cooper­
ate in the creation of the proposed museum. When a permanent mus­
is established, the Society .rill be prepared to provide volun­
teer labor and unlimited effort to restore the equipment that has
been collected.
Several locations have been considered by the
Historical Museums Department as potential lo­
cations for tlle construction of a Science and
Transport Museum. One possibility was the Can­
adian Forces Supply and Maintenance Depot wa-
being held for preserVAtion by the London Public Library Board. This
IJould be one of the most important vehicles for the Museum of Science
and Transportation, Photo courtesy C.A.Andrese.
rehouses. Motller proposal was to utilize la-
nd owned by tile City, on Wllich to build a struc­
ture to house the exhibits. It was finally de­
cided to select the former London & Port Stan­
ley Railways car shops -a building Wilich has
four track-bays and enougb land adjoining to
satisfy the present expansion plans for the mus­
eum. The
building is presently owned by the Can­
adian National Raih/ays and is leased by them
to other organizations.
More recently -in the autumn of 1970 -the Historical Museums De­
partment persuaded the City Council to request the museum propon­
ents to prepare a detailed report on the prOject. This summation was
presented on April 13,1971 to the Social and Community Services
Committee of the Council. It requested the sum of $ 127,100 to
create a museum, together with an annual operating budget of $47,690
-both sums not unreasonable,in view of the accomplishrnent to be at­
Unfortunately, the proposal could not have been
presented at a more inauspicious moment. The
City of London was in th.e process of cutting
back on the 1971 budget, wi th a commensurate re­
duction in th.e tax rate of about j mils, in an­
ticipation of the municipal elections due in
the autumn. Not unexpectedly, the City Council
was very unreceptive to any proposal which would
result in the expenditure of additional muni­
cipal funds. Ttle brief vIas rejected -apparent­
ly quite brusquely and,in fact, one of the City
Aldermen wanted the City Council to state for
the record that NO aid Iould be available for
at least TEN YEARS, for the project.
Despite the refusal of the City Council to allocate the funds re~
quested,Mr. McLauchlan was not discouraged and immediately made
plans to raise the necessary monies from other sources. Should this
latest plan fail -and it is hoped that this will not eventuate
the equipment so carefully collected at a cost of several thousands
of dollars will be disposed of before the vlinter of 1971-72. This
will be a great loss to the citizens of London and the district.
The rolling stock has been stored outside for most of tbe
time since its arrival in London and has deteriorated badly. The
L-2 has had most of its easily-removable copper and brass fittings
stolen by thieves and all of its windows have been broken by van­
dals. The private car NOVA SCOTIA and motor car Number I). have been
better pro·tected from vandalism, but the weather has been hard on
hem. The roof of the former leaks and some of the wood,especially
private car Plova Scotia will be an important unit of the proposed
Museum of Science and Transportation at London,Ontario.
Photo courtesy C.A.Andreae.
I .

I I.
.. -..
. I

~ June 20,1915. L&PS Locomotive Number L-1 is coupled behind a Pere Mar-
quette Railroad steam engine. Photo courtesy M.P.Murphy Collection •
• • • • •
on the end-sills, is slm11yrotting. Number 4,Hhich was minus its
pantagraphs before its arrival in London,is be~inning to rust no­
ticeably in some places, but it otherwise in Fairly good conditior..
H01>lever,there is a definite urgency to place these cars under cov­
er,in order to retard this deterioration.
It is interesting to speculate on the stage
that Londons transport museum might have
reached if the City Council had considered
the proposal seriously some six years ago.
The City of London did not sell the London
Port Stanley Railway until December,
and,prior to that, the car shops,elec­
trical accessories, electric locomotive,box­
car and caboose .. 1ere City property. Had
the City retained these possessions witll
tile idea of the eventual creation of a museum,
many of the problems presently associated with
the establishment of a Science and Transport
Museum in London 1ould never have arisen.
The wisdom of establishing a transportation museum in a
city the size of London, Ontario, might equally be questioned. Perhaps
to some conservative citizens and aldermen,such a creation would
represer.t an unjustified perpetual burden on the taxpayer, as a
result of continuing expenses associated with its maintenance. To
oppose this contention, the operation of enterprises such as the
Ontario Science Centre, the Kapuskasing Railway Museum, Calgary s
Glenbow Foundation (Heritage park) and the Canadian Railway Museum
migh.t be examined. Sir.ce some of these activities are provincially
sponsored, others municipally supported and still others privately
maintained, it might be possible to calculate roughly .. That. such an
establishment Ifould cost and its derivative benefits in terms of
civic interest and attraction to tourists and viSitors. The annual
attendance figures at Doon Village and Upper Canada Village speak
for themselves and seriously suggest that a similar but more modest
enterprise in the centre of southwestern Ontario -in the City of
London -.. 10uld be equally as attractive to reSidents and visitors
And the time to create it is now.
Jack Lombard
~ or the early explorers and first travellers
across the land later to be named Canada,
the streams, the rivers, the rapids and the
waterfalls were only incidents in their
journeyings. The severity of these inci_
dents varied and -although they may have
been considered as a kind of hardship in
the middle years, they later were conver­
ted into occasions where the explorers
and travellers alike paused briefly in
their journeys to participate in an even­
ings conviviality.
Nowhere along the St. Lawrence River-Great Lakes Iaterway were
these occasions more anticipated than at the head of the Riviere
des Etroits -the River of the Straits -not far from Ihat is today
the City of Windsor,Ontario,Canada.
Less than fifty years after the unpleasantness of what in
North America -was called the War of 1812, a ne … 1 kind of man from
a new age of progress, las surveying the scene from the banks of the
Detroit River. Born to farm life in the Commonwealth of Massachu­
setts -one of the original thirteen components of the burgeoning
United states of America,he had learned something about grain and
ing at quite an early age.
He had once been in the grocery business, too, albeit briefly, and
later had tried his luck as a grain merchant, selling his product to
many Canadian millers and distillers. Recognizing the double use of
grain – a single commodity -he -las soon dreaming of owning a grain
or grist mill, combined … Iith a distillery.
Born in 1816,he arrived at the River of the Straits in 1885.He
bought his first parcel of land on the present site of Walkerville,
Ontario -at no distance at all from the present city of Windsor
in 1856.
His name was Hiram ilalker •
.. . . . .
engine numbered 13 -but here is Number 13 of the Lake Erie and De­
troit River Railway,complete with flat-roofed single-door baggage car.
Photo courtesy Hiram Walker & Sons Limited.

It is said that Hiram lo[alker shared the opinion of the great
Louis Pasteur about the quality of yeasts and the results of fer­
mentation therewith. Regardless of the technical reasons, the whiskey
which Hiram began to produce rapidly became a popular product both
in Canada and the United states in the latter part of the nineteenth
century. Before he knew it,Hiram had an increasingly large clientel
demanding his product.
Hirams early farm experience and natural Yankee frugality at
once suggested to him that the wet, malted mash from the distillery
would be an excellent source of nourishment for cattle and, before
long, the distillery had fathered several model farms in the dis­
trict,inhabited by more than 5,000 head!
It was at this juncture in his several ventures that Hiram be­
came inextricably tangled with transportation problems and thereby
with railways.
The so-called carriage roads of the 1860s were mostly of mud
or of corduroy, with occasional well-constructed turnpikes which
were better but more expensive to use. They were the original toll­
ways. To carry heavy loads over these wretched,unimproved roads was
almost impossible, even in the best weather. In and around Walker­
ville,the transportation facilities were fair,but were ill-suited
and badly located to serve Hiram Walkers needs.
The Great Western Railway of Canada had been opened from Lon­
don, Ontario to Walkerville-Windsor in 1854,but the main line from
Walkvrville east ran in a rather northeasterly direction,along the
shore of Lake st. Clair. Hirams farms lay southeastward, tOlard the
shore of Lake Erie.
After the genesis of Hirams bUSiness in 1858,the provision of
sidings and connections by the Great western in 1862 did not improve
the situation much. Multiplication of Hiram Walkers developments
in the County of Essex, not very far a~lay, emphasized the need for
better transportation.
When Hirams ventures were fifteen years old, the Canada South­
ern Railway was built west from Fort Erie,opposite Buffalo, at the
head of the Niagara River,through St. Thomas to Amherstburg:l, some
distance downstream on the Detroi t River from Vlalkerville -vIi nd sor .
Although this was a well-constructed railway,it could not help Hiram
in resolving his cross-country transportation problem. Besides,the
Canada Southern was a connecting link in the New York Central-Mich­
igan Central line to Chicago and was not interested in the short­
haul kind of business that Hiram had to offer.
By 1882,Hiram had been courageous enough to build a short line
of railway of his own from vlalkerville, to bring fodder and other ne­
cessities from the Detroit River to one of the establismments near
the corner of Walker Road and Tecumseh Boulevard in present-day
Windsor. This short line was opened in the summer of 1883, despite
the fact that in the previous year, the cattle barns -together with
some 300 head of fattened animals -had been destroyed by fire. In­
conveniences also occurred in other adjacent townships. Hirams
. —.
10 S 0 /0
. : } ~ _ Or _ £311R and orher () ~
exr@ns/ons ………
~ L PS Rf (now eN)
—Orner rcu/I-V0yS
wide-treaded steam tractors, hauling hay,tore up country
Colchester To~mship,broke through municipal bridges and
annoyance to the municipal officials,local citizens and
ling public.
roads in
caused much
the travel-
These awkward incidents rapidly persuaded Hiram to undertake
the extension of his little railway from the river bank south to
his hay lands and barns and to include a connection with the Canada
Southern at McGregor, rather than at the tom of Pelton. This essen­
tial extension developed in 1887 into a more ambitious project. The
of the Dominion of Canada inaugurated in 1885 a policy
of providing generous subsidies for railway construction, which of­
fered an amount of $ 3,200 per mile on intraprovincial lines. Fur­
ther,there were occasional subsidies available from Provincial and
municipal governments.
At the time of the 1887 decision, Hiram Walker did not really
need these several subsidies,but they were a nice piece of assist­
ance on his oeiginal investment. By personal investigation, he had
determined that a raihlaY was needed, in the southern sections of
Essex County and this fact, together ,lith his om pressing needs,
gave the project an alluring future and removed it from the realm
of chancy speculation.
Thus it was that in 1885 the Lake Erie,Essex and Detroit River
Railroad Company was incorporated, both provincially and federally –
l the engine house at Windsor,Ontario. Just beyond the boxcars is the ETRys
0-6-0 steam switcher,swathed in tarpaulins -out8id~ to provide space in-
side for the diesel switchers. Colour scheme is green with yellow running
boards and panels an each side of front radiator~ Photo courtesy W.J.Redbrook •
.. . . . ..
the latter under 48-49 Vic. Cap 21 -the original incorporators
being Messrs. Hiram WalkerJ1Ulliam ScottJN.A.McHughJ A.L. Hitchcock
G.J .Leggatt and Dr. John Coventry. The pOllers of the charter per­
mitted the construction of a railway line from lUndsor or SandwichJ on
the Detroit RiverJto Kingsville; with branches to ComberJAmherst­
burg,Charing Cross and Rondeau.
The first meeting of the incorporators was held on July 16 J
1887 and although actual construction got under way the following
August IJthe subsidy on the line from Windsor to Leamington -some
37 miles -had been approved by the Federal government the previOUS
year. It was not collected,however. At the second meeting of the
provisional Board of Directors in August, 1887, Hiram announced that
he had satisfied the provisions of the charter by depositing the
sum of $ 20,000 with the Bank of Montreal at London,Ontario,as well
as supplying the necessary funds for the initial expenditures on
the rail~ay. Further,an additional $ 200,000 had been subscribed in
purchases of stock in the new company.
along the railway proceeded apace. Mr. Joseph De Gurse
civil engineer of 1{1ndsor,had surveyed the route in 1888, prepara­
tory to grading and laying the ties and rails. It las understood as
well that, from the beginning, the construction would be carried out
under the direction of Hiram Walker & Sons and,at a special meeting
of the Board of Directors on November l7,1887
this arrangement was
49 R A I L
The autumn and winter of 87 saw the survey progressing, with
acquisition of a right-of-way from various proprietors along the
route. The Minister of Railways and Canals of Canada, the Honorable
John Henry Pope, was consulted with regard to the subsidies avail­
By the spring of 1888,contracts had been let for the grading of
the line, as 11ell as the construction of culverts and bridges, ties
and rails,stations,fences and other appurtenances. The line was
surveyed to run from Walkerville south to Harrow and thence east­
ward to Ruthven, some three miles east of Kingsville,almost on the
shore of Lake Erie.
The construction of this orig1.nal twenty-seven-mile line ,as
approved by the Governor in Council at ottawa,Canada,on Apr:1.1 6,1888
and a subsidy of $ 118,400 -or about $ 4,385 per mile -was appro­
Hork ,ent forward so rapidly and expeditiously that by Decem­
ber 15, 1888, the Lake Erie,Essex and Detroit River Railway was ac­
cepting business between Walkerville and Ruthven -some 34 miles
The station stops en route were Walkerville, Pelton, Old Castle,McGreg-
or,New Canaan,Harrow,Arner,Kingsville and Ruthven. The line was
-. .. .. .
~ fact,it is the e~P.R.station at london, Ontario with CP RAILs nDC DAY­
lINER service to Toronto in June 1971. The s8rvice was discontinued on
July 3,1971. Photo courtesy W.J.Bedbrook.
officially opened on December 26,1888,having been certified as com­
pleted to the approved specifications by the Inspecting Engineer,
Department of Railways and Canals, Government of Canada.
Mr. C.F. Hansen, the first superintendent of the line, did not
continue long in office. He was succeeded by Mr. William lvoollatt ,
34-year old veteran 1-lith 17 years of experience on the Grand
Trunk and the Northern and Northwestern Junction Railways.Mr. Hiram
olalker vlaS President and Mr. Chandler Walker ITas Treas.lrer and Man­
Hi thin a few months, the railway was extended to Leamington, the
new portion being opened on May 24,1889. Leamington remained the
terminus for three years.
The net earnings of the Lake Erie,Essex and Detroit River for
1889 .Jere $ 24,281.62 and for 1890, $ 18,166.55. This latter amount
not sufficient to meet the interest on the road I s bonds, .,hich
was $ 30,000 annually. In 1891,the net revenue improved to a top
of $ 25,902.75,Hhich was still somewhat short of the amount re­
quired to service the bond interest.
It HaS obvious to Hiram and the other officers that local traf­
fic simply .Tas not sufficient to provide the necessary revenue. The
answer seemed to be to o·btain some through east-west traffic and, to
obtain this,the railway must be extended further. As a matter of
fact, there was very little competition along the Lake Erie shore,
the only raihtay then in existence being the Leamington and st. Cl­
air Railway, between Leamington and Comoer, on the Canada Southern
Railway. This was essentially a local north-south enterprise, devo­
ted chiefly to the lumber trade.
Under ever-increasing pressure from the municipalities between
Leamington and Ridgetown,Hiram and his directors finally agreed to
start construction eastward in 1892. With some $ 27,500 worth of
support from the municipalities, construction began in June and on
24,the first train passed over the new extension.
The decision to build this extension resulted in something of
a dilemma -legal,that is -as either the provincially or federally
chartered part of the Lake Erie~Essex and Detroit River possessed
the necessary corporate pOI.,ers. In order to resolve the dilemma in
an orderly fashion, the two companies were amalgamated in January,
1893 and the name of the Company simultaneously changed to the
Lal~e Erie and Detroit River Railway Company.
Hiram,of course, became President of the new Company,ably se­
conded by Dr. S.A.King of Kingsville,as First Vice-President.
The following year, the Lake Erie and Detroit River negotiated
the lease of the London and Port Stanley Railway -from London,Ont.,
to Port Stanley on Lake Erie -as recorded in an 1894 report to the
Board of Directors:
.. . . .. .
Dock Company in 1902 for service between Port Stanley and Conneault/
Cleveland,Ohio.She did not carry railway cars. Photo courtesy Marine
Historical Collection?university of Detroit.

The Company has recently leased (for 20 years) the
London and Port stanley road, which runs between
the pOints named~with steamboat connections with
Cleveland, It also controls the stock of the Lake­
side Navigation Company and has put the steamer
LAKESIDE on the Port Stanley and Cleveland route.
The annual rental for the London and Port Stanley Railway was
$ 12,500,
Further enlargement of Hirams growing railway occurred in
1898, when the Erie and Huron Railway Company was purchased for th.e
sum of $ 640~ 000, This north-south line ran from Erieau on Lake
Erie,through Blenheim,to Chatham -~here it crossed the Grand Trunk­
to Dresden and Sarnia,on the st. Clair River. Hiram and company now
had more than 200 miles of railroad, together with a steamer service
across Lake Erie.
In July,190l,the Lake Erie and Detroit River completed the ex­
tension from Ridgetown to st. Thomas -some 40 miles -and connect­
ions with several important railways.
The line which had started out as a convenient accessory in
the transportation of feed for Hiram Walkers cattle had now become
large corporation of both national and international importance.
A connection east from St. Thomas to the Niagara FallS gateway
was obtained in 1904,through the acquiSition of trackage rights over
the Canada Southern Railway.
About 1900,crews on the Lake Erie and Detroit River were some­
times obliged to work as long as 16 to 22 hours per day. On Sundays,
it is said,they had to clean out the ash pans and boiler flues of
the locomotives at the Walkerville engine house -and then wash up,
dress up -and go to church! It seems that Superintendent lToollatt
was a member of the Walkerville church choir and from this vantage
point, would check the congregation during the sermon, from over the
tops of his spectacles! He knew each of his men by name and woe be­
tide any of his men who werent there!
There were times when money was pretty tight on the Lake Erie
and Detroit River. On one run, the engines cab caught fire and was
almost completely burned out before the fire could be extinguished.
Money was short and the cab was not rebuilt for four, long months.
In the interval, the engine was kept running and, when it rained, the
engineer protected himself from the elements by an umbrella, the
fireman dashing out from under its protection from time to time, to
shovel coal into the firebox. A likely story!
But here it is 1972 and ·,hatever happened to Hirams railway?
Well,it was an attractive property l~hen Hiram and his directors had
finished with it and there were many prospective buyers. In 1902, a
Company called the Pere Marquette Railroad -originally organized in
the neighbouring State of Michigan,U.S.A. -offered to lease exclu­
sive trackage rights,as well as other appurtenances, including the
rolling stock, for a period of 21 years. The lease was agreed to and
the Pere Marquette took possession on January 1,1903. On that date,
the mileage of the L.E.&D.R. -including the leased London and Port
building Company at Cleveland,ohio,September 2,1910.She had no passenger
accommodations,carried freight exclusively, carried 30 cars and made the
58-mile trip across the Lake in 5 hours -Port Stanley to Conneault,ohio.
She was converted to a barge in 1948. From the Marine Historical Collec-
~ tion,University of Detroit,Mlch.
Stanley –Tas 285.58 miles -sidings and all! The company had ac­
cess to the anthracite coal of Pennsylvania through its car ferries
from Rondeau and Port Stanley across Lake Erie to Cleveland and the
neighbouring port of Conneault,Ohio. The former Erie & Huron to and
from Sarnia provided a good share of the revenue from its traffic in
lumber and iron from the north,as well as the sugar and sugar-beet
traffic around Wallaceburg.
About 1904,the Pere Marquette confirmed an agreement with the
Canada Southern -part of the Michigan Central Railroad -which had
first been arranged in 1882 and extended in 1894. The 82 and 94
arrangements were for operation, while the 1904 agreement was for a
lease. When the Pere Marquette Railroad Company went into receiver­
ship in the State of Michigan in 1912,it was reorganized under the
name of the Pere Marquette Railway Company, which undertook opera­
tion of the old company.
In more recent times, the properties and franchises of the Pere
Marquette Railway Company were merged on June 6,1947 with those of
the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company, which today, together with
the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, forms one of the BIG 3 n
of the United States east coast merger lines.
Although Hiram Walker -like Mr. Gooderham -is far better
known for his whiskey than for his raUway,he should also
be remembered for his contribution to the inception,devel­
opment and expansion of the railways of one section of
Canada, at a time when such leadership -TaS vital.
The author ~nshes to acknowledge the assistance of:
Hiram Walker & Sons, Limi ted, Walkerville ,Ontario.
Rev. Edward J. Dowling,S.J.,University of Detroit,Michigan.
Walter J. Bedbrook,Scarborough,Ontario.
An Anonymous Friend.
Informatton and Photographs
from Mr. L.O .Leacll.
locomotives of the class D-IO-a through D-IO-k were built for the
Canadian Pacific Railway Company in the years 1905 to 1913, by
builders as widely separated as the Canadian Locomotive Company, Lim­
ited,Kingston,Ontario (68),the Montreal Locomotive Works, Limited,
Montreal,Quebec (265),the Schenecta~¥ Locomotive Company,Schenecta­
dy,New York (25) and the Richmond Locomotive Works, Richmond, Virginia
(25) -not to mention the Companys own Angus Shops at Montreal (119) -you might
imagine that eleven years after the end of steam engines
on the canadian PacifiC, there might be quite a few D-IOs still
You would be mistaken.There are only seven (7) left.
Canadian Pacific engine number 1057 is one of the lucky
ones -one out of the many that were consigned to the scrappers
torch and the blast furnace. But at the end of the age of steam on
the Canadian Pacific, when Number 1057 was finally retired from ser­
vice on May 16,1960 at Lambton Roundhouse,her luck began to change.
The following August,Number 1057 was purchased by Mr. Donald McCar­
tney of Toronto,Ontario,for the not inconsiderable sum of $ 4,000.
Mr. McCartney either knew his steam engines or had a good
advisor. Number 1057 was in excellent condition and, before her re­
tirement,had been retyred by the CPR at a cost of about $ 3,000.
stored on a siding adjacent to the Regal Stationery Com­
panys Toronto plant, Number 1057 was tenderly ministered to for se­
veral years. Mr. McCartney sold the engine in 1965 to the Commission
for the Ontario Centennial Science Centre, which planned to have a
display of some six steam locomotives as part of the Centennial Sci­
ence Centre at Toronto.
However,the steam locomotive display portion of the Sci­
ence Centre was not constructed and in March,1970.Mr. Herbert Han­
sen of the Illinois Railroad Museum,Union,Illinois,U.S.A.,purchased
Number 1057 for $ 7,000.
Exactly ten years to the very day from the date of her
retirement by Canadian Pacific, Number 1057 was moved to the John
Street Roundhouse of CP RAIL in Toronto for a major overhaul, which would
ready the engine for reneOled operation. This class-two repair
was supervised by CP RAIL General Locomotive Foreman N.s.perkins and
carried out by Assistant Locomotive Foreman J.C.Clarke and sixteen
non-railway employees.
As might be imagined, the repair process was not ~lithout
incident. Interested persons,some of whom were railway enthusiasts
and all of whom were curious,heard about the project and began to
arrive in droves.
They came from as far m.,ay as England and some ,,,ere from
strane;e locations such as New Jersey, KentuckY,Hichigan and other
parts of Ontario, Somehow the news reached citizens of Los Angeles
and Montreal and they, too, came to see what was going on,
Assistant Locomotive Foreman Jolln C, Clarke of CP RAIL s
John Street Roundhouse,Toronto,who ,.;as directly involved witIl the
repair of the NO, 1057, among other things renel-red the front buffer
beam and repaired 16 superheater units and replaced 34 boiler tub-
Plans to lease the locomotive for summer-time operation
on the Livonia, Avon and Lal{eville Railroad – a 23-m:i.le line, running
over a former branch line of the Erie Railroad soutll of Rochester,
in nortlmestern Ne~l York State -did not mature and ar. option to
lease was taken out by the Toronto Train Trip Committee,
Regrettably,neither was this project to be realized, for
when Number 1057 was steamed up,one of the tubes around a super­
heater element collapsed, requiring an additional repair job,
Although Number 1057 is now restored exteriorally to an
appearance ,·,hich some observers migllt say is a little beyond ller
orlr) condttion -all vllleels,rurmir.g-boards,boiler lland-rails
and grab-irons betng emphasized Nitll IIili te paint – the old girl
car. boast of a few lively incidents during her lor.g career,
Number 1057 laS heading Train 82 south from Sudbury on
·!ednesdaY,August 8,1947. She ,.;as standing in the station at Rutter,
wai ting for northbound Train Extra 2644 to clear, Tile northbound
extra did r.ot slow to take the sidir.g, but slammed into Number 1057,
pushing 11er baci{ some 40 yards and derailing freight cars onto the
adjacent Siding, Both engine crelS jumped to safety before tile col­
lisior. occurred, The Toronto-Sudbury mair. lir.e ,.,as extensively dam­
aged for 80 yards, Service on the main line Nas restlmed that nigl1t
by cleaning up the sidir.g and routing through trains around tIle
lreck-site, Tile sudder. encounter on the{ main line, came
as a severe sllock to both locomotives,as can be seen from the accom­
panying pbotograph 1
Preser.tly,Number 1057 is back ir. tIle Johr. Street Round­
house,,With all 32 flues out and 2L! x 2-incil ger.erating
tubes also removed. It is ll.oped that tllese vitals II are restored
as of the time of writing and Number 1057 1lill be hauling
specials for railway entilUsiasts over the,Hamiltor. ar:d Buf­
falo Rai 11lay before next year,

As of Jur.e 1,1971, the follo~ling ex-Canadian Pacific Rail­
way class D-IO engines Here preserved, restored ar.d -infrequently­
Former CPR
number Location
894 Doon Pioneer Village,Ontario
Sold by
CPR in
May, 1961+
926 Museum of Science & Technology
Otta~a, Canada Apri 1,1963
I,Ir. Geor ge Hart
Canadian Raihlay Huseum
Saint-Constant, Quebec
IvLr. D. 1lcCartney, Toronto
Ontario Science Centre
1,Ir. Herbert Hansen, Unior., Ill.
Toronto Trair. Trip Committee
Junior Chamber of Corrunerce
Kingston, Ontario
Riverside, Vermont, U.S.A.
January, 19G6
August, 1960
March, 1970
May, 1971
July, 1965
December, 1961
Not quite

you had something left of Auntie Mables Christmas remembrance,or
if you have any exchange refunds cOming, you mi~lt consider the pur­
chase of some publications about Canadian railways, available soon.
About to be published by Railfare Enterprises,Limited is a work
titled Saskatchewans Pioneer streetcars,by Colin C. Hatcher at
a price approximating $ 5.95. The book – a history of the street
railways of Regina,Sask.,would seem to be sufficiently unique to
pique the curiosity of the most dyed-in-the-wool main line rail~ay
Equally piquing is Narrow Gauge Railways of Canada,written by
Mr. O.S.A.Lavallee,~ell-known chronicler of Canadian raihiaY his­
tory. Some of the material in this work has previously appeared in
CANADIAN RAIL. The suggested retail price of this book is in the
neighbourhood of $ 13.00 .
From Winnipeg,Manitoba,two slick paperbacks have appeared, authored
by Mr. H.W .Blake and titled liThe Era of Streetcars in Hinnipeg :1881
to 1955 and liThe Era of Interurbans in Winnipeg: 1902-1939. These
two publications really deserved hard-cover treatment,for the pic­
tures that are reproduced -albeit very muddy and black, by the un­
satisfactory reproduction process used -are quite rare and those
from the collection of Mr. George Harris provide a remarlw.ble cross­
section of the types of electric cars used in ~Jinnipeg just before
and after the turn of the century.
The explanation of the four car lines along Main Street is given,
but it is some,>Jhat obscured in the text. The relationship between
the two urban and two interurban systems is not made clear; in fact,
all of the information on the Suburban Rapid Transit Company (1902-1930)
is contained in the preface of the volume on the interurban
lines -which is brief,unfortunatelyl
The price per volume of these two works is not knOlm, but it ought to
be in the region of $ 2.00 each.
Although previewed before the Holiday Season, the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association is still advertising (and taking orders for)
FAREWELL NUMBER 6218 for steam enthusiasts and a new· publication –
REMEMBER lIONTREAL S STREETCARS -for the traction types. The first
volume has received generally favourable reviews, while the second
presents the history of street railway transportation in Montreal,
in text and in pictures. Some of tIle pictures have not hitherto been
reproduced. The photograpllic collection of the Montreal urban Com­
muni t:l Transportation Commission has been made available to the com­
pilers of this volume and their selection is most interesting. The
compilers have also sholm great prudence in numbering ALL of the
Advertised briefly in Montreal,Ottawa and Toronto is a paper-back
FUTURE by Robert Chodos. This effort was prepared as a public ser-
vice by the United Transportation Union, Canadian Brotherhood of
Railway,Transport and General Horkers and the Brotherhood of Raih1ay
Airline and Steamship Clerks.
. Chodos is primarily a ilri tel and is not, by any stretch of the
imaginatior.,an expert or. the subject of passer.ger trair. service or.
Canadas railways.
The author fir.ds a good eleal 1lror.g Ilith Car.adas tHO major raihlays
ar.d very little right. The graduation of Mr. Jack Ptckersgill from
the ranks of Canadas federal goverr.mer.t to the Car.adiar. Transport
C01Mdssior. is described 1lith vigor but not with praise. Passer.ger
train service or. Canadian National and CP RAIL,in recer.t years, is
judged primarj_ly or. the basis of one or tHO observations in the
Bruce peninsula of Ontario and in Lancaster,N.B.
Large, disorganized bricl~bats are hurled at CP RAIL for its alleged
decimation of Nontreal-OttaHa services ar.d its ~lholly-unjustified
abandonment of the DO~1INION in January, 1966.
Hhen Mr. Chodos lacks adequate statistics relating to Canadian pas­
senger train operation -or railvlaY operation in general, for that
r~tter -to prove a point,he is not reticer.t to scour every and any
raihlay operatior. Vlorld -wide for data, making curious extrapolations
obviously designed to apply to the Canadian problem.
In the next-to-last chapter,r~. Chodos paints a spler.did,glowing
picture of passenger train services presently offered -or proposed­
in the United Kingdom, France and Japar. -convenient ly d isregardir. g
the present and more relevant dismal state of affairs in the Ur.ited
Ir. the last summation,Mr. Chodos reconunends the maintenar.ce of the
status quo ir. Canada. This is -in contrast to the subtitle of
the work -hardly a reco=endatior. for the passenger trains in Can­
adaS futurel
A much more ir.teresting and informative publicatior. -for the large
sum of 75 cew pence -has been published by the Light Raihray Trans­
port League of the United Kingdom. ON RAILS UNDER PARIS is exactly
~lhat it says it is -albeit part of it is on rubber tyresl It is a
truly description of the utterly fascinating Metroof
the City of paris -its history, operation and present state of de­
velopment. Good illustrations accompany a lively and very lucid and
readable text.
perhaps the most charmir.g portion of this entertaining book is its
final chapter, in which f. thUSiast visitor to Paris on several selected safaris on the Metro
in a prose style which can onlY be described as piquant.
No tramway lover or rapid-transit tyro vlho intends to visit Paris
this year, next year -or any year -should finalize 11is plans Hi th­
out acquiring and consulting this interesting book.
Railfare Enterprises,Limited,p.O.Box 143!r,Statior. B,Hontreal 110.
Herbert H. Blake 237 Campbell Street Hinnipeg 9,Man.
FAREHELL NUMBER 6218 P. Murphy & S. Ivorthen75i
RE~[EMBER MONTREALS STREETCARS Angus, Lambert & Murpby $ 1. 00
Canadian Railroad Historical Association,P.O.Box 22,Station B,
Montreal 110,Que.
Ul~ited Transportation Union,1729 Bank Street,OttaVla 8,Canada.
ON RAILS mrDE;:~ PARIS B.J .Prigmore 75d.
illTL Pub
lications,257 Francis Chichester I·lay, Doddington Road
tate,London SH 11,England.
Editorial Staff CANADIAN RAIL
February, 1972.
Canadian National Railways scored another nfirst in Can­
ada,with the operation on November 24,1971 of Canadas
first oil unit train. The 42-car special left Imperial
Oil Limiteds Montreal East refinery with 635,000 gallons
of heavy fuel oil, destined for Ontario Hydros auxiliary
steam plant at Douglas Point,Ontario,510 miles west. The
tank cars used in the operation were jumbo, insulated and
developed by PROCOR Limited,longtime leader in tank-car
deSign and operation. The cars load in a conventional
manner, through top hatches, but have the rapid dump un­
loading system, discharging in cuts of 6 cars through gr­
ound-level hatches into a collecting tank. The crude is
pumped from the collecting tank into a pair of 180,000-
barrel storage tanks.
Current schedules call for trains to operate on a con­
tinuous 72-hour cycle,with delivery at Douglas Point ev­
ery three days. Transit time is 24 hours for the 510 mi­
les,with 24 hours available in the cycle for loading and
unloading. Current train size of 42 tanks will be aug-
mented to 63 cars when the Douglas Point steam plant,
designed to produce heavy water for the Douglas Point
nuclear power station,reaches capacity. CN has also con­
structed a l2-mile spur from the main line at Port Elgin
to the site of the heavy water plant.
ALCAN-DOFASCO-MLW Industries Plototype LRC passenger coach was out
of Canadian Nationals Research and Development Centre and back to
MLW Industries,where it was once again taken off its trucks, as of
December 28, last. The trucks were thereafter sent to DOFASCO at
Ham11ton,Ontario,for further modifications.
Mr. J.M.Canfield of Northbrook,Illinois,
U.S.A.,writes to ask the Editor if he has
any information on the raihlay which used
to run on Anticosti Island in the Gulf of
st. Lawrence. The Editor remembers that
there was once a narrow-gauge railway from
Port Menier towards the central portion of
the Island,but the details,including the
motive power and rolling stock are not known.
If any CANADIAN RAIL reader has information on
this insular operation,he is urged to .[rite to
the Editor and then -through the medium of our
magazine -we will all know. Photographs -both
ancient and modern -will be most welcome.
Effective January 1,1972, CP RAIL relocated
its Passenger Services Department from Wind­
sor station,Montreal,to the air-conditioned
brick building at the Divisions Glen Yard,
Westmount,where it joins the Sleeping, Dining
and Parlor Car -and the Commissary -Depart­
ments,closely allied functions. Previous in­
ternal rearrangements at Windsor Station had
moved the Credit Card Department from the La­
gauchetiere Street wing into the space formerly
occupied by the Alouette Restaurant. Public Re­
lations and Advertising Department,presently lo-
cated in this same cement-block extension of the
station,will probably occupy the space vacated by
the Passenger Services Department. Canadian Paci-
fic Telegraph,formerly also in the Lagauchetiere
Street wing, has already moved to another location.
This west wing was constructed in 1953. It is said
that these moves are being made to permit imminent
demolition of the western end of this structure.
Meanwhile,all tracks have been removed from the
station trainshed and all trains -including the
CANADIAN -originate and terminate several hun­
dred yards west of the former canopied portion ,
not far from Mountain street. Interpretation of
the present construction in and around this por­
tion of the station is difficult, since the ob­
server finds it impossible to tell whether it is
due to Montreals new expressway or redevelopment
of the station area.
On December 22,197l,MLW Industries outshopped the first of 4 M-630s
(Road Number 710) for the Pacific Great Eastern Railway -soon to
become the British Columbia Railway. Unit Number 7ll,which came out
on December 25,had quite a few running-in problems and made at least
one return trip from CP RAILs St. Luc Yard, for adjustments. Road
Numbers 712
& 713 emerged on December 31,1971 and pbotographs were
taken in betwe~snowflurries on January 5,1972.
MLW Industries production schedule called for work to start on the
three or four (7) lower-to-the-rail-by-4-inches M-636s for Quebec
Cartier Railway,right after the beginning of the New Year. For use
in drag service,the new units will be superbeavy -another way of
saying that they will be ballasted -for greater tractive effort on
iron ore trains.
Following on the draw-bar(s) of these units will be tbe
two ne … l -and interesting -M-42OTR units for the Rober­
val & Saguenay Railway at Arvida,Quebec. The only infor­
mation available on these two units at press time was
that they would be radically different

Vice-president,David Blair,announced in early September plans for a
Canadian National passenger station and office building complex
in Saint John, New Brunswick. When the new station is completed in
the autumn of 1972,demolition of the old CN-CP RAIL Union Station
,lill follow, thereby eliminating yet another famous Canadian lIunion

This announcement has been awaited ever since CP RAIL relocated its
Saint John passenger station to Lancaster,N.B. and the Department
of High,lays of the Province of Ne,1 Brunswick began applying the pres­
sure to demolish the old station to permit a continuation of the
new intraurban express highway.
CNs new passenger station-office complex will also include Saint
John1s SERVOCENTRE,the yard office for Island Yard and an office
building. The complex will be located on Rothesay Avenue. The site
for the new complex will be made available for CN by the Government
of New Brunswick, in exchange for the land on ,Thich Union Station
nON stands and other CN property relinquished to enable highway and
expressway construction to be continued.
ltlork on the L-shaped building is expected to begin early in 1972.In
add ition to the station -1-/ith a ,/ai ting room -there will be of­
fices for the Saint John Terminal superintendent, the branch manager
of freight sales, the SERVOCENTRE manager,the yardmaster, the road­
master and their staffs. There l1ill also be a modern lunch-room for
employees. NOW, lhat about the passenger train services to complement
such a lovely new station? Phillip Fine •
.. .. .. .. ..
~ 2354 on the head-gnd,stands in the station at Calgary,Alberta in June,
1949. Open-observation car No. 101 stands on an adjacent track and the
famous Pallister Hotel forms an impresive backdrop.
Photo C.R.H.A.E.A.Toohey Collection.

If Toronto has mEAM SAVERS, fork­
ing hard under the direction of Mr.
Paul J. Barnes,to compel preserva­
tion and operation of Canadian Nation­
al Railways steam locomotive, Number
6218,Montreal can boast of STATION
SAVERS,a rather unorganized group of
devotes, -Ihose object (all sublime) is
to save Canadian Pacific Limiteds
grey stone Windsor Station. At the be­
ginning of 1972,both groups of SAVERS
seemed to have run headlong into the
head-wall of the corporate glacier.
Mr. Fishs plan was to persuade the Historic Sites
and Monuments Board of the Government of Canada
to evaluate Windsor Station as an historic site and/
or monument of national importance, thus qualifying
it for the traditional bronze -nowadays, black alum·· inum –
plaque, together with official status. Con­
sequent upon this designation would (hopefully) be
agreement and ratification from Quebecs Ministry of
Cultural Affairs Historic Sites Commission, which
it was said -would have effectively obliged Canadian
Pacific Limited to negotiate the demolition of most of
the station With Federal and Provincial government bur­
Last May,the Federal governments Historic Sites and
Monuments Board
rendered a decision at a meeting in
Victoria,B.C. -far enough removed from the scene of
action -that Windsor station did not qualify. No
way,cried Mr. Fish and was supported in this con­
tention by the Montreal Society of Architects and
Montreals Jacques Viger Commission -the latter the
watCh-dog of demolition of ancient structures in the
district now known as 1I0ld Montreal.
Ignoring the Historic Sites and Monuments Boards
decision,Mr. Fish affirms that he will appeal the
ruling. Mr. Peter Bennett,Secretary of the Board,
has responded that there is no provision for appeal
and besides,Windsor Station is not unique in style.
Mr. Fish claims that the station is a pivotal
building in the history of Canadian architecture
and there isnt a scholar worthy of the name who
wouldnt agree with me. Mr. Jim Acland of the
Architectural Conservance of Ontario qualifies •
Meanwhile,Canadian Pacific Limiteds Marathon
Realty announced in December,1971,a plan for the
redevelopment of the whole area bounded by Peel,
st. Antoine and Mountain streets and Dorchester
Boulevard. Latest step in the acquiSition of the
remaining buildings and properties on this two-
block parcel was the recent sale of the Lauren-
tien Hotel (corner of Peel and Dorchester) on
31,1971 to Marathon Realties Limited,
Next and last on the list: st, Georges Anglican
Church,cormer of Peel and Lagauchetiere!
Training and training centres are of the utmost importance to Can­
adas railways in this age of automation, The computer-based traf­
fic reporting and control system -otherwise TRACS -has been under
development on Canadian National for the last three years, Now CN
has brought the classroom to the employee in a series of mobile tr­
aining centres, contained in standard highway trailers.
These mobile classrooms will provide on-the-job training to CN yard
office and carload centre personnel across Canada, who will be work­
ing with the advanced data systems, soon to be implemented as part of
Each trailer is 44 feeet (big feet) long,8 feet wide and fully air­
conditioned. The training units are divided into two sections, one
containing a modern, fully operational data communications system ,
the other,a classroom with accommodation for up to ten students.
The mobile data communications system can be connected on line II wi th
CNs main computer in Montreal,so that trainees are directly invol­
ved in actual operating experience.
In the latter part of 1971,several events of interest to
the traveller intending to England occurred in the U.K.
On October 2,1971,Mr. Peter Prior,Group Managing Direct­
or for H.P.Bulmer Limited (ItThe Cider People
) of Here­
ford,achieved main-line operation of ex-Great Western
Railway 4-6-0 steam locomotive Number 6000 -King George
v -thus breaking British Railways steam ban which was imposed
even before Alan Peglers Flying Scotsmanl -ex
London and North. Eastern pacific Number 4472.
King George V, the property of Bri ti sh Railways, given to the City of Bwindon Corporation in custody, when
she was withdtam1 from service. In 1968,City of Swindon
Corporation leased her to H.P~Bulmers,who undertook. to
restore her completely, on condition that the engine stay­
ed at Bulmers at Hereford for at least two years. The
agreement was ratified and when it expired in 1970, it
was renewed for a further period of three years.
Early in September,1971,Bulmer persuaded British Rail­
ways to run four (4) experimental excursions,with the
first taking place on September 15. Although it was on
short notice,lOO revenue passengers were carried, Crowds
at the destination -Newport,Monmouthshire -paid 10 new
pence to get on the station platform to examine the en­
gine and photograph the train.
The second excursion terminated at Tysley and the Stan­
dard Gauge steam Trust operation and was an unqualified
success, The engine and train were on view for the whole
of the day following,
The third run was made on October 4,from Birmingham Moor
Street to Kensington Olympia and carried 115 passengers.
On October 7 following, King George V took Bulmers
Cider Train and three BR seconds and 125 passengers from
Kensington Olympia to S~dndon,where the train was after­
wards exhibited. TTo days later, King George V with her
five Pullmans, added four BR seconds and 210 passengers
and made the last of the Experimental Excursions from
~Tindon to Hereford,
Total receipts from train fares was 3500 pounds sterling,
not to mention income from platform tickets at 10d. each,
admission charges at the Tysley At Home and KenSington
Olympia and ~ndon.
All in all,a nice piece of change for British Railways
for That was to that corporation -until recently -an
utterly impossible operation.
In the November-December,197l issue of Canadian National Railways
KEEPING TRACK,the following optimistic information appeared:
The future of TURBO is reasonably bright. The owners of the
train, United Aircraft,have developed plans to overcome the
deficiencies in the components of the equipment vlhich did
not perform satisfactorily.
Canadian National has had opportunity now to review these
plans and has concluded that if modifications are made in
accordance with them, th.e train should perform qell and ought
then to be tested further in revenue service.
l third aspect is that of finanCing the modifications and
road testing of them. Here,it is intended to seek assistance
from the federal government.
In response to a qoestion regarding the cost to Canadian National
as its portion of the inauguration of TURBOTRAIN facilities:
The servicing and light maintenance facilities which are all
essentially located at Montreal have been provided by eN at
a cost of about one million dollars.
In response to a question regarding CNs plans for the operation of
the LRC trains:
The LRC (Light, Rapid, Comfortable •••••••• Ed.) trains are being
developed by ALCAN,DOFASCO and MLW. CN is making no finan­
cial contribution, but is performing some research work and
has a senior officer in regular contact with the developers.
If development work is successful, the train vdll be capable
of providing passenger service on any inter-city route where
the volume of traffic warrants use of a locomotive-hauled
The LRC train will be capable of operating at speeds of
120 miles per hour and vill negotiate curves some 40 per­
cent faster than conventional trains.
A more somber note comes from London,England -Clapham,to be exact.
British Tourist Authority headquarters in Londons west end have
ceased to feature British Railwaysl famous Museum of British Trans-

R A I L.
port at Clapham and London Transport advertisements tor the IIIJseum
are no longer displayed or available.
The Transport Act of 1968 transferred responsibility for historical
relics to the Department of Education and Science,but gave no date
for the actual transfer. Wbile British Railways is anxious to be rid
of the unprofitable business of running museumB,Education acd Scien­
ce seems to be in no hurry to assume the tasK.
In the interval, the public in ger.eral and the railway enthusiast,in
particular, is the loser.
It is possible that Education and Science is unwilling to accept the
responsibility un~il the new Museum _ to be constructed at York -is
ready for occupancy.
Worth noting is the fact that the cost ot this new museum was to be
with funds tram the sale of the Clapham and present York Museum
properties, but with the decline in value of the former and the gen­
eral increase in construction costs in the U.K., the new facilities,
when realized,may not be as grand as previously advertised,
Moreover,in the absence of firm policy statements by British Rail­
ways and Education and Science,the railway enthusiast is left to
speculate on the possibility that Clapham Museum will close and be­
come a storehouse,without publiC access, while the new York Museum
may never be built, thus depdv1r.g London of its best transport mus­
eum,while der~r.g York the promised replacement of its present very
unsatisfactory facilities.
Recent events have caused British Railways to reconsider their policy
on steam locomotive excursions, Present 1ndicat1ons are that rail­
ay museum8.mmed and operated by railway enthusiasts, may be ClOre
viable than those organized and administered by government depart­
ments. It is probably a question ot enthusiasm and dedication -at­
tributes which are difficult to find,but exceedingly preciOus,
passenger service,via the Dela/are and Hudsor. Rai1road or
other comcon or uncoomon rail carrier,was utter!y and
finally exploded by the referendum which ~/as held in the
State of New York on November 2,1971. On that occasion, the
cit1zens confirmed that they lere absolutely and entirely
opposed to ar~ legislative programme which would add to
the already staggerlllg tax burden for public transporta­
tion which the state and its citizens has hac] to assume. The
voters ~ere opposed _ in the maJority -to the rati­
ficatior. of any proposal which would increase the States
contribution to mounting national public transportation
costs, tllrough subsidies.
!his r.1E!ant r.o additional funds for A.i.lTRAK operation tn the
State of New York.By impl1cation)unprotitable Af.1TRAK trains
would either pay their way or back-charge operatir.g deficits
to HARP.
Contributions to the above notes are acknowledged from the
following correspondents: K. De Jean,K. CoSlett, P. Fine, C.
De Jean,J. Sanders.G. Small,Don Law,CNs KEEPDlG TRACK.
-A GENTLE RSHfnE,~ TH~T THE JCliN MGLSI:W OF 1971 WILt CPE~ATE f(AV 21+22,1972.
Photo courtRsy Peter Leyland.
pul;JlI.n., by .h.
C£W:Wf 11 SUP)D a::::tlE.!Cl.:. ~:mIr :.:;::.: M.:rnl;Jer.hlp InoluClln. 12 i •• U •• at
Ca.nachan R.&ll
ItOITOR. B.B Vllort.w…,.
e 00 annually
M~ .·elTO~k,ir{ eunadiel;J
d. ,. …. •• ,.,. • I~I h.nIMI ~. …… __ •
, .• , <.; I.L~C ...., .. ....,. {ITt .... ....,<401 •

. ,., .• .~ • I …. n ,. •• ,.
_.J. ~. .. ort ….. n ••• ~ .001 •
.•. .
. .




, .
. .~ .
IMU_ •• ,_
______ ::::.~001 in ea ……. _Ian ,…,..

Demande en ligne