Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 208 1969

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 208 1969

—-, ~ ·n..a
NO. 200
……. ~ ….
. \,~ ..
1tWU@)1J1iD lilA ~.
~~~~ ~®~®~
EllAHmlJ. UL AT I~[J· N· ~
• ~. ~, •• .. ….,….. ., , ….. I I -.•
~ : ! ~ . ~ : ~: ~LJ~ .~: ~ .: ~ .~. eo .-: … ~ ~
A Budget of Late 68 Happenings
Mr. Doug. Cummings.
After a day of exhibition at Vancouver Station,-October 19,
1968,CP Rail Century-424 units nos. 4239 and 4242 entered revenue service
October 19,from Port Coquitlam,B.C. with Extra east,called at 1130K (PST) end which
departed with 94 cars,-mostly loads and a caboose, eastbound at
approximately 1300K. Additional cars were picked up at Mission and the
train was about 110 cars east of there. The two units were unassisted and
handled a train normally hauled by three or four SD-40s. There was no no­
ticeable reduction in speed.
On the 18th. October,the two units plus 8 various cars in
the new CP Rail MULTIMARK design and colours (the Symbol Train,as it wss
cslled) had ended a cross-Canada exhibition trip. The 8 cars represented
one each of the more common CP Rail freight traffic cars,plus a caboose.A
short time after·the termination of the exhibition,the train wae broken
up and the cars entered regu]ar service. The two units,-the first to go
into service in the new colours,were hauled dead to Coquitlam in s night
transfer drag,that evening. The freight traffic cars,-all but one, sat
as a train in the Vancouver Yards on the afternoon of the 18th.,but were gone a few
days Istar.
On November 9th.,CP Rail SD-40 5558 with ROBOT 2 and Dynam­
ometer Car 62 came into Vancouver for a holiday week-end rest. ROBOT 2
is numbered C-4472,with a conversion date 10-18-68,stencilled on its side.
Wherees ROBOT 1 (C-4465) and 5557 have LOCOVROL equipment,ROBOT 2 has EMU
equipment and Is,incidentelly,in the new CP Rail colours,-blue body.
As of the above date,four of the new Century-630s have
made two trips to Coquitlam on a series of test runs to compare them with
the SD-40s on the same route and under the aame operating conditions. It
is thought that these tests will continue for a yet undetermined length
of time. Apparently the units sre 4500 to 4503 inclusive, end are working between
Coquitlam and Calgary.
With regard to ROBOT 2,it left Coqultlam esstbound, on tha
morning of November 10th.
It has been learned that,to combat the problsms of contin­
uous rediD reception between control unit and ROBOT car,in periods and
placss of poor or non-existant radio reception,a beside-the-track induc­
tion wire is to be installed in the Connaught Tunnel (and probably in o­
ther places),whereby the lead or control unit will transmit its signal to
the wire snd the ROBOT will pick it up, decode it and then obey the instr­
uction. Previously,experience with ROBOT oparation hss shown that,upon en­
tering tunnels or in other areas of poor radio-signal reception, it was
necessary to send a Hold signal to the control unit for the mid-train
helper engines,so that they would continue to operate until reception was
improved and
absolute control thereby restored. Normally,the operation of
the mid-train units is programmed so that they go into an idling position
in the event of an air-brake application. Thus,the power of these mid-tr­
ain units is shut off until the train reaches an area where radio recept­
ion is again established and absolute redia-communication control once
more restored.
In the accompanying illustretions,ROBOT 1 is shown with Unit
5563 at St-Luc Yard,Montreal,in early 1968. This photograph was kindly pr­
ovided by CP Rail. Roger Boisvert of Trois Rivi~res,Que.,sends us a pic­
ture of CP Rails units nos. 4501 & 4502,on Train 91,bound for St-Luc Yard
Montreal.The time wae 1800 EDST and the date August 23,1968.
B.C.HYDRO HAS INTRODUCED e fourth new steel caboosa,-no. A-4. As. II
consequence,retirement of the older wooden cabooees hes begun. A-14 has
been aff its trucks and ready to be burned for some time and has [rOW besn
joined by A-11. The A-5 is II spare at Vancouver and the A-15 a spare at
New Westminster. Remaining are A·-10 at New Westminster (but unused lately)
and A-13,also at New Westminstar and in the bast condition of all of the
remaining woodan models. It is slated for retention and renovation as a
PACIFIC GREAT EASTERN HAS ORDERED four Century-630 engines from MLW­
Worthington in Montreal. Eastern sources say six. Additional steel caboos­
es entered service ~n January,1969,joining the prototype which has been on
the road for some time. These new vane are painted two-tone green,with
a dark green below the belt rail and a lighter green above it. This top
colour ie almost blueish-green and is separated from tha bottom by a thin
white band. This is the first PGE aquipment to be painted in thia schema.
CP RAIL HAS RENUMBERED its two ROBOT cars,while still retaining the
dasignationa ROBOT 1 and ROBOT 2. Ranumbered from C 4465 and C 4472,which
were actually their numbera when they war a special express cars ( except
for the C prefix),they are now more conventionally numbered 1000 & 1001 •
GREAT NORTHERN RAILROAD U-33-C units 2536 and 2537 were in use on
the Seattle-Vancouver paaeenger train during e few scattered days in ear­
ly Januery,1969,eccompanied by a B F-7 to eupply steam for heating. The
firat one to appear was 2536 on train 360,January 5,1969.
The 12 units ordered by GN for 1969 delivery are 6 more U-33-Cs as
well as six F-45s from GM U.S.A.
at Sapperton,B.C.,just north of the present CN etation at Naw Westminster
B.C.This yard will be for interchange with CP Rail and should be ready and
in use this epring. Ties and rails are being etockpiled nearby and the
new yard will go hand-in-fiand with the new tunnel-bridge combination to
North Vancouver,acrose Burrard Inlet. With removal of tha old bridge, the
only acceas to North Vancouver for both CN and CP will be via the new CN­
sponsored line,making the Sapperton interchange necessary.
The new tunnel-bridge route ehould result in substantial improvs­
ments in freight traffic handling in Vancouver when it i~ opened. This
will probably be in March or April,1969. After that,traffic destined for
tha North Shore of Burrard Inlet will no longer be required to psss thr­
ough Vancouver. This should noticeably ease the pressure on thie crowded
~ RADITIONALLY,January is the month in which
many Canadian corporations, large and small,
hold their annual members mestings. There
follows reports of two such annuel meet­
ings which will be of interest to our read­
Historical Associetion waa held in Montreal on 29 January,1969. About 40
regular and associate membsrs hsard reports from the Treasurer, the Hon­
orary Auditor (in absentia) end ths Directora for Preparation, Production
and Dietribution of CANADIAN RAIL,Membership and Branchea,Cenadien Rail­
way Museum and Membera Activitiss. The rsport of the Treasurar of the
Association is given in eummary form elsewhere in thie issue. The Chair­
man of the Diesel Acquisition Recommendation Committee presented hia re­
port. Votes of thanks were officially recorded by the 61rectors and Mem­
bera to McGill University and Bell Canada for the use of meeting rooms ,
during 1968. Subject to his ecceptance,Mr. Donald W. Spencer was re­
appointed Honorary Auditor of the Association,. The following regular mem-
bera were elected unanimously as Directors of the Association for the
year 1969:
Frederick F. Angus John
A. Beatty
Walter J. Bedbrook
C. Stephen Cheasley
Edward Lambert
Denis Latour
Peter Murphy
Robert V.V.Nicholls
Char lee Vieu
A. Stephen Welbridge
R. Wyett Webb
Sanborn S. Worthen
At the first meeting of the 1969 Board of Directors,Held on 3 February,the
following Officers of the Association were elected:
Dr. Robert V.V.Nicholls
M. Charles Viau Mr. C.
Stephen Cheasley
Mr. A. Stephen Walbridge
Mr. Frederick F. Angus
Vice-President Vice-President
The following Honorary Officers of the Association were appointed:
Mr. Donald F. Angus Mr. N.R.Crump Mr.
M. Lucien LAllier
Mr. R.C.Day Honorery
Honorary Vice-President
Honorary Vice-President
Honorary Vice-President
Honorary Vice-President
The Board of Directors ratified the election of the following members as
Commissioners for the Canadian Railway Museum/Muse Ferroviaire Canadien:
Mr. C.S.Cheasley
Mr. F.F.Angus
Mr. C. De Jean
Mr. W.J.Bedbrook Mr.
Mr. p. Shergold­
Mr. J. Doyle Mr.
THE ANNUAL MEMBERS ME~TING of the Ottawa Branch,Canadian Railroad
Historical Association was held on the previous evsning,-28 January,1969
in the Auditorium of the Niltionsl Museum of Science and Technology, in
Ottawe,Ont. About twenty five members were present and hesrd reports by
the retiring President,Mr. W.F.G.Williams,the Treasurer, the Secretary
and the Chairmen of Committees for Meetings,Restoration,Trips and Arch­
ives. Elected for the year 1969,by unanimous vote,were the following of­
Major S.R.Elliot
Mr. J. Leblsnc
Mr. M. Iveson
Mr. T. Emond
For various Branch committee activities,the following msmbers were named:
Messrs. Campbell,Dufresne,Pharoah,Palmer,Frane,Lin[ey/and
McGee. Mr.
Bob Palmer will act as photographic librarian for tha Branch.
Y@UR A~~C~!{Al!CN
1Ii ~ • , • ~-. ~… , , • i I ~ .. ,.~ •
• •• • I •• . • ••• ~ • . • ••••• ~ •
. .. .. . . . . . . . .. .
NeAN~~ !{ ilL R· EP- C Ji l
. . . . .. .. I. . ,.. ….. . .. .
. . .. . .. . . . . . … .
A. Stephen Walbridge
This ysar,ths Financial Statements of your Association were audit­
ed by the firm of Stevenson,Blakely,Blunt and Company,Chertered Accountante
of Montrsal,Canada. The operations of your Associstion ere now sufficisntly
important that,ecting on the advice of ths Honorary Auditor, your Directors
considered it of primary importance to engage a firm of public accountants.
These financial statements were presented to the members at the Annual Gen­
eral Meeting of the Association,hald in Montreal on 29th. January,1969.
The report of the Honorary Auditor,Mr. Douglaa W. Spencer, was reed
at the meeting by the Treasurer,in Mr. Spencers unavoidable absence.
Ae Financial Statements are difficult to understand without Borne
explanation end impossible to condenee into meaningful form and inasmuch Be
it is impractical to print them in their entirety in CANADIAN RAIL, due to
space considerations,the following paragrapha have been prspsred to provide
to ths Membere the eessntial information contained in four pages of the
Auditore Ststements.
At 31st. December,1968,your Aseociation had bsnk daposits of
S 7,504.56,leae Accounts Payable of $ 1,171.72,part of thie latter amount
being in reepect to membership fees,paid in advance. This left a balsnce of
about $ 6,300 available to begin various Aseociation operations,euch as the
publication of CANADIAN RAIL,at tha beginning of 1969 and to expend on
specified ca~tal projects and general operating expenses.
In addition to this amount, your Association had in truat an amount
of S 59,358.89,for the covering of the Second Exhibits Building at the Can-
adian Railway Muaaum,and the beginning of construction of an Archives-Li­
brary Building at the same Docation. This monay cannot ba spent for other
purpoees. Your Directore realize that this amount Ie insufficient to com­
plete the total construction of these buildings.
During 1968,1,412 members paid $ 8,850 in dues,of which $ 6,363.00
was spent on the preparation,production and diatribution of CANADIAN RAIL.
Eleven issues of our magazins,containing more psges than in 1967,wsrs pro­
duced. Most of the remaining $ 2,487 was spsnt on such iteme as collection
of Association dues,auditing of your Associations financial etatements,pr­
inting end reprinting of other Association Publications end similar member­
ship services and activitiss,including regular monthly meetings.
In 1968,as msntioned above,CANADIAN RAIL contained more pages per
issue on the average,thus providing a greater return to the member. Sales
of back-copies of CANADIAN RAIL and other Association publications by the
Director of Mambership and Branchea,brought in an additional $ 1,100. of
revenus. Communications with the Members and the Branches ware improved. An
illustratad guide-book for the Canadian Railway Museum wae produced, which
has enjoyed a good reception from viaitore at the Museum.
Specisl Events and Trips Committee operated four excursions
during the year,which added $ 1,442.60 to the Association funds.Of course
eome of this amount must be retained to initiate the operation of other
excursions in 1969.
Your Canedien Reilway MUseum was visited by nearly 13,000 gueets
in 1968,which earned about $ 7,500 in entrance donations. However, oper­
ating expenees,such ae our watchman,insurance,water tax,siding rental,mu­
nicipal utility charges and temporery summer guidea used up e lerge por­
tion of this revenue. Moreover,it is sssential,each year,thet there be a
emaIl surplus after payment of all charges at the year-end,so thet the
continuing operating expenses can be maintained until the Museum ie open­
ed,about 1st. May and additional revenue earned to pay these operating ex­
Capital expenditurss at tha Musaum,including preparations for the
large-scale projects,totalled $ 6,250. A review of the Report of ths Can­
adian Railway Museum Commisaion,given elsewhere in this issue,will illus­
trate the typa of projact to which raference is made.
It is impossible to include in the account books of the Associa­
tion a dollar figure which would represent the hundreds and hundreds of
man-hours contributad voluptarily to your Association,by members in the
Montreal area and eleewhere. The members reading this report should un­
deretahd thet there are NO paid positions in the Association,with the ob­
vious exception of the Canadian Railway Museume watchman and temporary
guides. the latter being engaged during the summer months to conduct visi­
tors around the Museum. Moreover,the members should also appreciate and
acknowledge the generous gifts of their fellow-members and friends,to the
Museum,without which continuing progress could not be meintained.
Association members,who may oe p~ticulerly interested in the da­
tailed,audited statements of the Association are welcome to write to tha
Treasurer at the Aesociations address,for a copy.
IN 1968
Denis Latour.
At the first meeting of the Associations
Board of Directors in 1968,Mr. W.J. Bed­
brook was appointed Chairman, Special Ac –
tivities Committee,-for the second con­
secutive year. The Special Activitiss Com-
mittee was given the responsibility to
make arrangements for members monthly me­
etings,special meetings and excursions.To
this segment of Association activity were
Messrs. F. Angus,P. Murphy,G.South­
wood and D. Latour. There follows an ac­
count of the various activities arranged
for the enjoyment of the members.
The Annual General Meeting of the Association was held on
January 31,1968,and eight regular monthly meetings followad,during the
year. In addition to the reports of the various committees,most of the
meetings featured film or slide presentations. The February meeting high­
lighted a most interesting production of our member,Mr. Murray Dean, en­
titled Diesels in Canada. We may mention here that Mr. Dean act~d as
projectionist for most of our slide and movie programmes. A slide contest
took place at the June meeting,-the winner was our member Mr. Bill Bl­
evins of Montreal,with one of his excellent diesel slides) The November
meeting featured an illustrated description of the Algoma Central Railway
by Director Walter J. Bedbrook and we learned more about the present op­
erations of one of the most scenic and interesting railroads in Canada.
With the cooperation of our ladies auxiliary,Mesdames Murphy and Latour ,
refreshments were served at the May and June meetings. This innovation
was very well received by the partiCipants and it is hoped to repeat this
procedure during 1969.
The Annual
Banquet of the Association,marking the 36th. an­
niversary of the Associations foundation,was held on Friday,March 15th.
in the Officers Mess of the Black Watch Regiment Armoury,Montreal, que.
Shortly after 6.00 p.m.,members and their wives gathered in the large and
spacious room to admire the many regimental trophies and memorabilia of
the regiment,as well as a comprehensive display of our Associations work.
Our President,Dr. R.V.V.Nicholls and Directors Angus and Worthen had ar-
ranged a showing of slides,depicting scenes at the Canadian Railway Mus­
eum,a large number of static illustrated displays of other Association
activities such as Archives,Library,Excursions and CANADIAN RAIL.
After a delicious dinner,our President,Dr. Nicholls,introduced the Gusst
Speaker of the evening,Mr. R.C.Tibbetts of Trenton,N.S. Mr. Tibbetts, who
is a former railroader himself and who owns a remarkable collection of
steam engines,entertained us with a description of tha Pictou Branch ,­
and told many interesting anecdotes of the days when he was a railroader,
himself. A short period of questions and discussion followed. A word of
thanks to the speaker by Mr. Worthen and this happy gathering was ended ••
and everyone present felt it had been a very pleasant and successful ev­
On Monday,June 17th.,-through the cooperation of our Direc­
tor Mr. Bsdbrook,a visit was arranged to the Panorama of Telephone Pro­
gress of the Bell Telephone Company of Canada (BELL Canada).The actual
tour was followed by a film presentation,including the famous The Rail­
roddsr with Buster Keaton. A truly unforgsttable performance I After the
film,refreshments were served at the end of the evening. A special word
of thanks to our charming hostesses and guidesl It was indeed a most in­
teresting and informative visitl
Three excursions were operated during 1968,-all trips or­
iginating from Montreal,que. The first trip (The SNOW Excursion), held on
Saturday,March 2nd.,took the participants to Farnham,que.,and Newport,Vt.
returning to Montre~n via the quebec Central to Sherbrooke and CP Rail
the rest of the wey. CP Rails ROC units 9105 and 9065 were used. A com­
prehensive coverage of thie trip appeared in CANADIAN RAIL no. 200 (June,
1968) and therefore we will pass elong to our second excursion.
Saturday,September 21st.,-and a trip to Ottawa and return,
behind the incredible CNR 4-8-4,No. 62181 Leaving Central Station ( Mon­
treal) at 8.15 a.m.,the Special made its way to Turcot,where the diesel –
electric. hauler was exchanged for Good Old 6218. After a brief stop at
Dorval to entrain passengers, the Special followed the ]ine to Ottawa,with
a sufficient number of stops en route for photographing and movie run­
pasts. The dense fog which covered the Montreal area at departure time,
had now been dispersed by bright sunshino,which added to the enjoyment
of the passengers and helped the ardent photographers to capture on film
the all but vanished spectacle of a steam-hauled train. Ottawa was reach­
ed early in the afternoon and as a special attraction,a visit was made to
The Museum of Science and Technology of the National Museums of Canada.In
addition to avast antique automobile and ~viation display,the Museum has
a not inconsiderable number of pieces of railway equipment,including nine
steam locomotives. Just before leaving,our President Dr. NiCholls made a
presentation to Dr. David Baird,Curator of the Museum. On behalf of the,
Association,Dr. Nicholls gave to the Museum a piece of historic horse-car
rail, formerly used by the Montreal Street Railway. This historic piece of
.rail had been specially mounted by Mr. F. Angus,for presentation. In this
way,the Association showed its appreCiation for a most interesting and in­
formative visit. With No. 6218 refuelled and rewatered,a fast return trip
was made to Montreal and the iron horse once again gave a convincing de­
monstration of her speed capabilitiee. To the disappointment of many rail
fans and photographers who were waiting at Dorval Station and along High­
ways 2 & 20,operational stops en route delayed the arrival of the steam
special and it was quite dark when we reached Montreal. Then it was Cen­
tral Station again, where the passengers detrained,very pleased with their
day and regretting only that it had pasBed so quicklyl As usual,tha CNR
had been most cooperative in providing equipment in the graen and gold co­
lour scheme of a bygone eral For the benefit of our readers who compile
equipment notes,the consist was as followa:
CN No. 6218,baggage car 9234,coaches 5139,5143,5150,5079,5093,5065,5073 ,
5092,5140,5063 and 5056.
Tha numbers of the diesel-electric haulers,-in and out,are unknown. It
might be interesting to mention that it was not the first visit of No.6218
to Montreal,this year. The steamer,which is stationed in Toronto,was here
in July,hauling two round-trip excursions between the Queen City and Mon­
treal as part of a grand railway tour,sponsored by the ILLINI Railroad Cl­
ub of Chicago and arranged by the Upper Canada Railway Society,which took
its participants from Chicago,Ill.,to the Maritimes and Newfoundland, us­
ing No. 6218 between Toronto and Montreal.

The third eKcursion took p1ecs on Sundsy,October 20th., end commemorated
the 50th. Anniversary of the opening of the Mount Royal Tun­
ns1 1ins to passenger ssrvics. Leaving Central Station at 2.15 p.m., our
special train consieting of CN Box-cab Electric Locomotive No~ 101,-yes,
the same one thst made the first run on October 21st.,1918,snd passenger
coaches nos. 4922,4929 and 4932,made its way through the Tunnel and cams
to a halt at Portal Hsights. A short distance furthsr on,we rsached Mount
Royal and
this was the scens of our first nrun-past. While the train was
preparing for its first movis run,some photogrsphers scrsmb1ed up to
the overhead road-bridge and a young lady, passing by,was rather puzzled at
the presence of all these people with cameras looking at the tracks, •• and
she dared to ask what thsy wers taking pictures of. Ons of the enthusias­
tic photographers replied candid1y,npretty tracksl
Another movie runpast was made at ths curve approaching the
OBrisn Boulevard crossing; thsn we ceme to Val Roya1,where the branch li­
ne to Cattiervi11e was taken. Returning to Val Roys1,we waited for the re­
gular outbound MU train to pass and then we took the main line for Deux
Montegnee. All eboard again,Rnd it was not long before the powerful horn
on No. 101 sounded for the station et A Me Baie and Roxboro. A photo stop
was made there,together with a meet with en incoming MU train (in the new
colours). Incidenta11y,these units look very nice in that new ettirel A
run was made et the bridge into 11e Bigras. Thare too,the sound of
No. 101s horn and the presence of all the people puzzled the residenta
of that quiet reaidentia1 area. Another bridge, end we had arrived at Deux
Montagnes,the end of the electrified treckage. Our stay there was quite
short,but long enough to increase the Sunday business of the small resta­
urant,adjacent to the station. Two short blasts from No. 101 and we were
again. After a photo runpest at the bridge (Lava1-sur-1e-Lac), a
fast run was made to Val Roye1 and then Eastern Junction,where e back -up
movement was made over the Montreal Nord 1ine,to the vicinity of the Leur­
entien Autoroute. There,No.101 switched ends and we headed for Montree1
Nord,passing Bou1everde end Ahunaic,en route. It wes quite dark when the
short train left Montreal Nord for the trip beck to Central Station which
was reached at 6.40 p.m.(1840,CN time),after brief stops to detrain some

79 R A I L
pssssngers at Mount Royal and Portal Heights. This concluded a short but
most enjoyable trip. Nice weather and the ususl splendid cooperation from
the CN operating personnel also contributed to the success. of this com­
memorative event. The CH Shop personnel certainly deserve congratulations
for having given old No. 101 a like-new appearance. Judging from her per­
formance and appearance,it can be presumed that she will still be around
for the 1ooth. Anniversary celebretionsl This excursion was also a fsre­
well to the Montresl Nord passenger service, which wss discontinued on November
One other excursion was planned for July 14th.,-this year.
This was to be a diesel-hauled trip,operated over the rails of the Del­
aware and Hudson Railroad from Montreal (via CP Rail) to Delson, Napier­
ville,Rousas Point,Plattsburg and Dannemora,N.Y.However,high cost of op­
eration and lack of patronage forced your Committee to cancel this trip,
but it is hoped that aome day we will be eble to try again and ride the
route of the famous Laurentian snd Montreal Limited.
As you can see,your Special Activities Committee has had a
very busy year. 8efore ending this report,we would like to thank all the
people who helped us in ona way or another and all of you who participated
in our numerous activities. We hope that you have anjoyed everyone of th­
em and that you will be with us age in in 1969. We plan to be very active
in the New Year,tool
The alternative title at the beginning of this
report was suggested by one major event which
occurred at the Museum in 1968. This was the
reception restoration and operation of diesel­
electric engine No. 77, formerlY of the Canad­
ian National Railways. The acquisition of No.
77 by the Association was fUlly reported in
CANADIAN RAIL No. 189 (June, 1967) and we will
not bore the reader with a repetition of the
details. This engine was not released to the
Association at that time and so it was not un­
til the Spring of 1968 that we were advised by
the Canadian National Railways that the engine
was released~r movement to the Canadian Rail­
way Museum at Delson/St-Constant, Que.
Prior to its arrival at the Museum, reports re­
ceived from correspondents in the area, where the engine had
last operated that it was on stand-by service and still in
operating conJition, were very re-assuring. It was, therefore
concluded that it would be ready for immediate operation at
the Museum, upon arrival. These rumors were quickly dispelled
however, when the Association learned, from a supposedly re­
liable source, that Number 77 could not be operated due to nu­
merous undefined mechanical difficulties.
Accordingly, a somewhat less-than-enthusiastic
gathering of members was on hand at CNs Central Station, in
Montreal, on the 26th day of April, 1968, to witness the hand­
ing-over ceremony of this engine to the Association. As soon
as the formal! ties were over Number 77 was whisked away to its
final destination at the Museum, ostensibly to await prepara­
tion as a static display, to show the development of the die­
sel-electric railway locomotive in Canada. But some of the
members working at the Museum decided that this was not to be.
It was the Associations very good fortune to have a genuine
benefactor, Hewitt Equipment Limited. This Company, whose main
endeavour in Montreal, is the servicing of diesel engines of
the same make as is installed in our Number 77, were quick to
respond to our request to overhaul the prime mover and with­
in a short time, the V-12 was completely dismantled all parts
carefully repaired in good time and then reassembleJ, ready to
On Frida~ September 27 1968 five brief months
after reception, the 380 hp. Caterpiliar V-12 diesel engine
came to life and No. 77 moved out slowly and majestically over
the rails of the Canadian Railway Museum for the first time.
Subsequently, it was discovered that two of the four traction
motors of the engine had been cut out, during its move to the
Museum. When these were properly connected to the main genera­
tor, it was verified that even the very largest steam locomo­
tive at the Museum was able to be moved with ease. For the
balance of the year, Number 77 was in service nearly every
week-end and greatly speeded up the switching of the two yards
at the Museum. No. 77s arrival was a welcome addition to our
motive power roster and with our ioimi table and indomitable,
Number 9, Sans Pareil, provides the Museum with the variety
of motive power essential for operation. A recent example of
this enhanced versatility was demonstrated when, on a weekend
in November, a switching job which would normally require four
hours to complete, was finished in less than two, by the use
of two switching crews and the two locomotives.
On September 28, 1968 the Museum took delivery
of CP Rails sleeping cars, Neville and Brookdale. These two
cars were reported on~ at length, on page 71, of CANADIAN
RAIL, No. 197 (March, 1960). At the same timei we received CP
Rail s School Carl – a report on which wil be forthcoming
in these pages. It is revealing to note that all of these
cars were switched into the Museum by Number 77 on its first
working day at the Museum. In the way of freIght equipment
we accepted Napierville Junction Railways cabooses nos. 34 &
35. Caboose No. 35 is to be set off its trucks and used as a
storage building, beside the planned three-stall roundhouse at
the Museum, in keeping with the practice of major Canadian
Railways, thus adding an authentic touch to this area.
This year volunteer workers at the Museum com­
pleted the construction of a three-bay garage building, to
house the Outremont Fire Truck Pumper, as well as other road
vehicles. This building, together with the other service
buildings on the premises, was painted in the traditional
railway colours of red and cream. Barrington Station, on the
other hand, was especially painted in the original Canada At-
lantic Railway colours of colonial yellow with brown trim.
This description does not do justice to the result which must
be seen to be appreciated. Barrington also received new doors
built in accordance with the original design for the doors
for this station. Further work was done to the interior, with
the ladies waiting room being completed and the office and
gentlemens waiting room repartitioned.
The design of the aluminum sheathing for the
Second Exhibits Building was well under way at the year end and
it is expected that the building will be closed in dUring
the early part of 1969.
The switch and track connections, leading to
the second half of this new building, were also completed and
after levelling, some of the tramway equipment was moved into
this section.
The arcnitects designs and the engineering
plans for the Hays Hemorial Archives Library Building were
completed and, after a review by the Directors, will progress
to the stage of implementation, since it is anticipated that
the contract for the construction will be let in the early
part of the New Year. This building will include a library on
the upper floor, where will be housed one of the most exten­
sive collections of books and archival material, relating to
Canadian transportation. The first floor and basement will
idisplay many of the small but important pieces of Association
railway memorabilia. The exterior design of the building will
, be that of a typical divisional point station of the Grand
. Trunk Railway, with a canopy over a platform, located beside
the main lead track on the Huseum property. The interior of
the building, however, will be of modern design.
Again this year the number of visitors at the
Museum increased, notwithstandIng the decrease in the number
of visitors to Montreal, occasioned by the termination of EXPO
67. Nevertheless, nearly 13,000 visitors, -large and small,
came to the Museum. As in 1907 they were received by a super­
visor and staff of four guides and the Museum was open every
day from the beginning of May to the 15th of September. After
reception of visitors was undertaken on weekends only
unti the end of October. This coincided very well with the
resignation of the guides who returned to their universities.
A Museum Guide Book, with pictures of the vari­
ous exhibits at the Museum, was prepared and offered for sale
to visitors. The ready acceptance of this helpful booklet was
very encouraging and the second printing will likely include
additional pictures and histories of Huseum exhibits, perhaps
all of them.
One of the highlights of the operation in 1968 was
the inauguration of an experimental shuttle train service
on the main lead track, using our engine No.9, Sans Pareil and
the recently restored Canadian Pacific caboose. On six
Sunday afternoons, from about 1.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m., the
train ran every fifteen minutes from Barrington Station to
the end of steel near the inner gate of the Museum. The num­
ber of passengers per trip was limited to 30, and no fare was
charged. This experiment turned out to be a resounding success
with nearly every visitor waiting his turn to ride in the cab­
oose. Some visitors waited as much as three-quarters of an hour
for a ride. It is hoped that on the completion of the
Hays Memorial Archives/Library Building, such a service may be
introduced on a permanent basis. Incidentall
all crews for
this service were recruited from among the vo unteer workers
at the Museum and specially trained for the operation. In
another experiment in 1968, the Museum, with the agreement of
the Associations Board of Directors
leased the MSR Sleigh
No. 20 to the City of Montreal, for nclusion in the popular
scene in the Face of Winter Pavillion at MAN AND HIS WORLD.
It was returned to the Museum by November 1, 1968.
During 1968, only a small percentage of the
total membership of the Association in the Montreal area, pro­
vided the work crew each Saturday and Sunday throughout the
year. Notwithstanding this apparent lack of interest by the
members, in the construction and operation of the Museum, as
much if not more work was accomplished than in any of the pre­
ceeding years since the Museum was begun. It is indeed a tri­
bute to these devoted members, who regularly give of their time and
energy to come to work at the Museum to oversee its con­
struction and operation on behalf of the members that so much
has been accomplished. We are most fortunate in having a very
enthusiastic group of junior members who keep the oldsters on
their toes and continually aware of the changes which are es­
sentialto the Huseum to keep it up to date, particularly with
regard to its responsibility to preserve modern rolling stock
and motive power. However, since the Museum cannot be expected
to build itself, the support of every member is needed at all
times, if it is to continue to grow in the years to come.
The 1968 Commission
of the Canadian Railway Museum.
Rudolph C. Carr
Nearly a year ago, it was rumored that the (then)
Canadian Pacific Railway was about to abandon two interesting spur
lines in the Ottawa River valley, and shortly thereafter, the appli­
cation to the Canadian Transport Commission was made. However, dur­
ing the summer of 1968, no decision was handed down. Nevertheless,
it was considered desirable to organize a farewell trip over these
two lines, and so the Executive of the Ottawa Branch, C.R.H.A., set
out to determine how this might best be done. Shortly thereafter,
they announced that a special train operation, in the form of a CP
Rail DAYLINER would take a group to explore these lines.
Transportation Notice No. 65 from the Passenger Traf~
fic Department of the Canadian Pacific Railway Montreal, advised all
parties concerned that there would be 60 persons in the group. The
person in charge would be Mr. W.F.G. Williams, Jr. President, Ottawa
Branch! C.R.H.A. and the equipment -to run from Ottawa to Eganville
via Ca abogie and return, would be one (1) CPR RDC unit. This was
particularly referred to as SPCL. B-705.
SPCL. B-705 was really a CP Rail DAYLINER, No. 9051 and was
waiting for the group at Ottawa Station at 9.00 a.m., EDST., on Sunday, October
6, 1968. The day was cloudy and overcast but the
enthusiasm of the participants helped to diminish the disappointment
over the weather. The SPCL. B-705 left Ottawa at the scheduled time
and its immediate route would have caused some confusion if the pas­
sengers had not known that they were to travel for the first part of
the trip on Canadian National Railways trackage to Bells Junction.
The tour itinerary, .rhich was distributed to the passengers, said
that this CNR line was part of the Canadian Northern Railway lines
around Ottawa, built immediately preceeding and dUring World War I.
This line took us to CP Rails Carleton Place Subdivision at Bells
Once the DAYLINER got on the main line, we rolled
along, at a fairly brisk pacer climbing the ridge separating the
Ottawa River valley from the M ssissippi River valley. We had passed.
Stittsville at about 9.31 and soon rolled into Carleton Place and

around the long west curve at 9.50. Following the route of the fa­
mous CANADIAN, we now raced down the valley of the Mississippi River
to Almonte, slowing down very slightly through the .station and past
Snedden, about 4 miles farther on just after ten oclock. We
crossed the Mississippi, over the hIgh bridge at Pakenham, and kept
up the speed, reaching Arnprior, on the advertised, at 10.18 a.m.
We were allowed 22 minutes for the 18-odd miles to Renfrew, and the
engineer had no trouble making the· schedule. Half-a-mile west of
Arnprior, we crossed the CNR secondary line, formerly the Canada At­
lantic Railway, at grade. This crossing is interlocked and has au­
tomatic signals. About two miles fUrther on, we came in sight of
the mighty Ottawa River, which we followed for a short time, before
tUrning southwest in the direction of Renfrew.
At Renfrew, we reached the junction of the first of
the two CP Rail branch lines which we were to investigate. This line
our primary objective, now runs from Renfrew to Calabogie, but it
once continued south all the way to Kingston, on the shores of beau­
tiful Lake Ontario. The excursion itinerary informed us that the
Kingston and Pembroke Railway was chartered in 1871 and was built
for the 103 miles from Kingston to Renfrew. I guess it never got to
Pembroke. All that remains today of the good old K. & p. is 13.8
miles from Renfrew to Calabogie on the north end· and 35 miles from
Kingston to Tichborne, (junction with the Belleville Subdivision of
the Montreal-Toronto main line), on the south. The part in between
was shown in the CPR Time Table No. 123 of September 25th, 1955, but
was abandoned after 1958. The road-bed certainly was not much like
the main line and we did not break any speed records on this part of
the trip. Just south of Renfrew we crossed the former Canada Atlan­
tic Railway again. The settlements at Opeongo and Ashdod were not
visible. Neither was the Town of Calabogie. We were required to re­
verse at the crossing of Highway No. 508 as the last half-mile or so
of track into Calabogie was considered to be unsafe. We could see
the track leading away southward in the direction of Calabogie Lake.
This was the end of the Renfrew Spur, but not of the Calabogie
Caper. It We had another branch line to explore •
..:-: ………..

After a brief pause we started out on the return trip
to Renfrew. It had taken us about 45 minutes to cover the fourteen
and a half miles from Renfrew to Calabogie, and it took us slightly
longer on the return trip. We had a photo run-past some distance
down the line and we stoppedat the crossing at grade with the former
Canada Atlantic, just outside of Renfrew. When we reached Renfrew,
we halted there, for half an hour, to stretch oUr legs and to find
something to eat. Thus, we left Renfrew at 1.15 p.m., and continued
on, over the main line of CP Rail to Payne, a distance of 3.7 miles.
Here, we branched off on the Eganville Subdivision, as it was once
called. This was the second branch line which we wanted to investi­
gate. The itinerary did not have much to say about this part of the
We followed the valley of the Bonnechere River, all
the way, for some 19 miles. The countryside was very much like that
which we had seen in the Mississippi Valley near Snedden and Packen­
ham. We passed a feed mill and somebody said tt. was called Douglas.
At one point, the line runs near the Bonnechere Caves, which are a
point of interest for tourists in this part of the Ottawa Valley. We
rolled slowly down the main street of Eganville and stopped at the
station. For the benefit of the picture-taking fraternity, we had a
run-past on the main street of Eganville~
The ten minute stop~ indicated in the time table, was
quite sufficient to see most of ~ganville and so, very shortly, we
began the return trip to the junction at Payne and the Chalk River
Subdivision of CP Rails main line. This junction is controlled by
automatic block signals, and under their protection, another photo­
stop was made. Renfrew was reached at 3.15 p.m., and the run back
through Arnprior and Packenham was smooth and without incident. We
obeyed the speed restriction over Franktown Road at Carleton Place
and swung over onto the Carleton Place Sub. As the DAYLINER was re­
quired for other service at Ottawa, later in the day, the schedule
waS closely observed back to Bells Junction and our trip terminated
at Ottawa Station at 6.00 p.m. DST.
Although the trackage covered by this trip was not
completely new to most of the participants some of the operation was
unusual and interesting. Our inability to go to the end of the track
at Calabogie was unexpected. At Eganville, a very unusual location
for picture-taking was offered as the train operated down the middle
of the main street for about a quarter of a mile. This gives one the
impression of high-speed interurban transportation in a small Ontario
Everyone enjoyed the day and there was a unanimous
expression of thanks to Messrs. J.A. Beatty and O.S. Lavallee, of CP
Rail, as well as to the Officers of the Ottawa Branch for their part
in making the vital arrangements for this enjoyable trip.
The changes began right away on January 1st.,
as two very old and tradition-steeped names
vanished from the North American railroad sc­
ene. The names were PULLMAN and NEW HAVEN.
The Pullman Company,which had operated sleeping cars in the United
States for one hundred and ten years,ended such operetions January 1st.on
that date,some railroads took over operation of their own sleeping car
services,but others,notably the Missouri Pacific and the Kansas City Sou­
thern merely discontinued them. The sleepers built since tha introduction
of lightweight cars in the ]ate 1930s have always been owned by the rail­
roeds,but operated (and often maintained) by the Pullman Company. Pullman
at ona time owned and operated more than 6,000 heavywaight steel cars,wh­
ich wera instantly recognizable as Pullmans despite later dispositions
snd conversions. The remaining ones were sold to individual rsilrosds ab­
out 195o,following an order handed down under U.S. antitrust legislation,
derivativa from the Companys interest in the Pullman-Standard Car Manu­
facturing Company. Pullman slso operated services on the former Grand Tr­
unk Reilway linea in Canada,until about ten years ago when the contract
expired and the services were taken over by Canadian National.The Toronto­
Chicago sleeping car service was tsksn over also on Jenusry 1st.Some U.S.
railroads have operated their own sleeping csrs et vsrious times; thess
include the NEW HAVEN,MILWAUKEE ROAD and SOD LINE end,more racently, the
NEW YORK CENTRAL and its successor,PENN CENTRAL,which continues to opsr­
ate the Montreal-New York and Toronto-New York services.
Aissl The PENN CENTRAL raluctantly sssumsd control of the bankrupt
NEW HAVEN on January 1st.,amid the growls of dissatisfaction of ths trust­
ees,directors and shareholders,regarding the terms or the financial set­
tlement. The NEill HAVEN neme goes beck to the 1B30s,when the New York and
New Havsn and the New ~aven end Hartford Railroade were formed. The let­
ter merged with the former to form the NEW YoRK,NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RAIL~
ROAD,which continued to abaorb its competitors and many of ita connections
until it controlled almost all of the railway lines in Connecticut, Rhoda
Island and southarn Massachusatts. In the same period,the NEW HAVEN gain-
ed control of the coastal steamship. lines, plying Long Island Sound and, I
with the rise of electric urban and suburban railways after 19oo,it alao
began investing heavily in these companies and secured control of most of
the others within its territory,establishing lerge companies to control
them. The decline of electric railways preceded the Great Depression of
the 1930e and thus the NEW HAVEN was financially weakened when the econ­
omic recession begen in 1930. The Corporation suffered another severe and
unexpected blow when the Gneet Hurricene of 1938 wrecked much of its main­
line trackage. Some recovery was made during end after World Wer II. but
shareholder e proxy battles and mismanagement in the 1950 s left deep sc­
are and an atmosphere of diet rust which could apparently be healed only
through a merger with another corporation.
The U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission, formerly reluctant to approve
proposed rail mergers,stipulated that,if NEW YORK CENTRAL and PENNSYLVANIA
Railroads were merged,then the new corporstion,PENN CENTRAL,would also ab­
sorb the NEW HAVEN. The NEW HAVEN had a mileage of 2,557 miles,while the
PENN CENTRAL I S mileage was about 22, DOD miles. These are rosd mileages and
include a considerable proportion of double or m~ltiple track, although
recsnt trends have resulted in s considerable reduction of track mileage,
ss 4-track main lines were reduced to 3 or 2 and double trecks mede sin­
gle using CTC operation.
CANADIAN NATIONALs Montreal-Toronto service has to be wstched clo­
sely in order to kesp up with developments. The following changes occurred
in Jsnuary,for example: On January 5 & 6,the last runs of TURBO trains,as
Trsin 69 & 64,were made. Trains 63-64 and 69-68 continusd to bs operated
with conventional squipment(RAPIDo). On January 13,Skyview bedroom-lou­
nge observstion cars wsre introduced on RAPIDo treins 63-64. The eight
rooms ars for hire at the rate of $ 14.00 per passenger, double the club­
car seat rate and $ 4.00 for each additional passenger,which about covers
the cost of the complimentary dinner. The Skyview lounge is available
to sll club-car passengers. Two of these cars are required for this ser­
vice. Three ere still in service on Montreal-Halifax trains 11 & 12,-the
Scotisn. One car is apparently held as s spare,to cover others bsing
repaired or train delsys. On Jsnuary 19,ths conventionsl trains replic­
ing TURBO trains 68-69 wsre discontinued after thiis dste. This is the sec­
ond time these trains have been discontinued I
Nstional discontinusd its Toronto-Belleville psssenger service,vie Lind­
say and Peterboro,s commuter train latterly numbered 9oo,has operatad out
of Toronto to Markham,ont.,each Monday to Friday evening. There was no
servics in the return direction end the train deadheaded beck to the poi­
nt of origin, despite persistant rumors that e very large ecrap yard had
developed at Msrkhaml Most of the passengers rode to Scarboro and Agin­
court,but the msjority of the Scsrboro passengers were lost following the
introduction of GO TRANSIT snd the lster opening of the TTC subway exten­
sion to Wsrdsn Station. This train 900 recsntly operated with a locomo­
tive end one coach or an ROC unit,when svailabls. The eN in the usual
roundabout wey nscsssitated by the Transport Act,has requssted ths Rail­
way Committee of the Canadian Trsnsport Commission to rul~ on whether or
not this train constitutes a pasaenger train service within ths meaning
of the gct and,if the Committee does not ruls affirmativsly within a per­
iod of 45 days (from January 17,1969),Train 900 will bs discontinued sf­
fective March 31,1969.50 therel
CP RAIL MOTIVE POWER: The rsdssigned psint scheme for CP RAILs
diesel units,introducsd late in 1968,has been confinsd to class DRF-24s
the 42oo-series units,on which it was introduced. However,on February 3 ,
passengsr unit no. 1404,class DPA-15a,was outshopped from Angus Shops in
a new coat of Uaction red and white. The front ,ia embsllished with diag­
onal red and white stripes,slanted downward from the firsmans side to
ths engineers sida. The unit number is spplied under ths cab windows and
CP RAIL appears on the lower panel,behind the cab. The Multimark occup­
ies the lower ~nd centre panels at the rear. The back of the unit 1s str-
iped diagonally blsck and white. –
It has certainly been a bad winter for CP RAIL diesel units.No. 8744
heavily damaged in a level crossing accident on the Maine Central Rail­
road,over which CP RAIL has running righta,at Eeton,Maine,in November 1968.
This was the lead unit of four and suffered heavy damaga to the hood,steps
running boards and cab,requiring rebuilding of these parts. Units 7088 &
1415 collided on the shop track at St-Luc Vard,Montreal. No. 7088 wes re­
paired almost immediately (December,1968) but passenger unit no. 1415 was
struck above the anticlimber,bending the frame above the forward truck
and forcing th~ cab section downward. It may not be repaired.On December
30,1968,No. 1801,class DPA-22a,hauling Train 134 to Quebec,collided with
a freight hauled by engines nos. 8787 (DRS-18) and 8027 (DRS-10) near
Lachevroti~re,Que. Unit 1801 received heavy front-end damage; the other
two were less seriously damaged and will probably be repaired,but the pr­
ognoetication for 1801 is doubtful. 1801 is one of only three E-type pas­
senger units in Canada. Finally,Unit 8729 (DRS-18) was involved in an
enginehouse fire, early in January,1969,suffering heavy damage to the cab,
hoods and wiring. The diesel engine,which was relatively undamaged, has
already been removed.
Another bit of diesel engine history was noted early in February,as
the frame and cab of CP RAIL unit 8557 (DRS-16) were prepared for scrap­
ping,having been stripped of all remaining useable parts. This unit was
burnt out several yeers ago,but the major components were salvaged and
installed in the car body of Unit 4019,repurchsed after being traded to
MLW for one of the 4200s. The resulting unit became second 4016, class
DFA-16 and is listed as having been built at Angus Shopsl The original
Unit 4016,class DFA-15b,was damaged beyond repair in a collision with the
8452 on the Moosehead Subdivision in Maine. The components were used to
build Unit 8823 at MLW and the car body was scrapped.Also in Januarv, the
order was given to re-gear Unit 4041 for passenger service and to change
the number to 1432,class DRA-15d. This order apparently aealed the fate
of Unit 1415,referred to above.
CP RAILs Eastern Region ia once again sporting what must by this
tima be familiar orange-and-black diesels. Twelve units were leased from
the Besaemer and Lake Erie Railroad,during January,1969. They have been
used mainly between Montreal, Toronto and Windsor,Ont.
THE ALBERTA RESOURCES RAILWAV,nearing completion from Hinton, Alta.
to Grande Prairie,Alta.,may not be such a white elephant after all, as
was suggested on a recent back cover gf this publication. A long-term con­
tract has been signed for the shipment of 29,000,000 tons of Smoky River
(appropriate name) coal to Japan. The coal is to be hauled in CN unit-
trains over the A.R.R. and CNs main line to a new loading pier to be
built near Vancouver,but apparently on Burrard Inlet,-not at Roberts
Bank. This new pier will be able to handle shipe with a 100,000-ton cap­
acity. Meanwhile,and apparently spurred on by these developmente,the Port
Manager for Nationsl Harbours Board,Vancouver,announced that the Roberts
Bank reclamation project to provide port facilities was about 80% com­
pleted (January 29) while the 50-acre terminal area was more than ninety­
aix percent finished. The three mile causeway from the shore is half done
and the ship channel,varying in width from 400 to 1,300 feet,is about 98%
EASTERN CANADIAN PORTS,epparently temporarily excluded from the J
frantic traffic in coal,are concentrating on containers. While Canadas
National Harbours Board delays an official decision as to whether Saint V
John?N.B. or Halifax,N.S. is to be the official container port,containers I
are already being handled at both ports,usuelly by floating cranes which
are presently available to offload them from the ehip to specially-built
flatcars. Containers are rapidly becoming very popular with shippers of
goods subject to sasy pilferage, notably exporters of spirituous liquors
in Scotland and Ireland. Pity. No English whiskey I
As if Canadas railways didnt have their fair share of cold-weather
woes,temperatures right across the Country have plummeted to record-bresk­
ing low~. Transcontinental pessenger trains have been running many hours
lats and there have been delays of up to 14 hours to plue ribbon expresses
between Halifax,Saint Johns and Montreal. As if this werent enough, on a
subzero December night,-the 27th.,CNs Napadogan,N.B. station burned to
a criSp and took the CTC booster equipment with it. This complicated the
operation of CNs central New Brunswick main line from Moncton,N.B. to
Edmunston and Joffre,que.,near quebec.
N&W-NKP-WAB merger resulted, among other things,in the creation of
two main lines between Detroit and Buffalo,across southern Ontario. The
original intention of the N&W was to abandon its trackage rights over CNa
air lins vie St. Thomas,Ont. T~is llne,built by the Great Western Rail­
way of Canade,just prior to becoming part of the Grand Trunk Railway in
18.84,was intended to meet competition from the Canada Southern Railway, –
presently Penn Centrel ex NYC ex Michigan Centrel. The Illabash gained tr­
ackage rights before 1900. It was this operation that the giant N&W was
going to abandon. But all of a sudden,e re-evaluation was ordered and it
soon appeared that the presence of a large Ford of Canada assembly plant
on the ]ine at St. Thomas,Ont.,had been overlooked. The revenue lost from
this industry would have been more than the money saved by closing the
line,so giant N&W trains still roll across the flat lands of southern On­
1969 promises to bs a BIG YEAR for Canadian National in Canadas Meritime
Provinces,-so writes Mr. Phillip Fine from Moncton,N.B.Another ferry
the Swedish-owned M.V.STENA DANICA will arrive in Canada in April and, if
ell goes well,will go into service in June. The 261-foot French-built 3-
year-old vessel can carry about 100 automobiles and will doubla the traf­
fic capacity available before the new Canadian-built JOHN HAMILTON GRAY
went into servics last fall. The ABEGWEIT and the CONFEDERATION are aleo
assigned to Northumberland Straits eervica.Prospects for the resumption of
construction of the causeway-tunnel-bridge crossing of the Straits recsde
further and furthar into the background.
In Moncton,CN shope on tha 60-ecra s~te on John Street,one of 3 major CN
repair complexes in Canada,overhauled 62 diesel engines in 1968,carried on
repairs to 8 more and light repairs to another 55. In the Car Depar­
tment,1,804 freight cars were reconditioned,including flat cars,wood chip
cars,box cars and 100 flats for exprese containers.
CN recantly placed en order with SYSCO,the Nova Scotia-owned steal plant
at Sydnay,for $ 13 million worth of rail,to be usad by CN across Canade,­
th~s in addition to an S 11 million order for 300 refrigerator cars from Hawker
Industrias car plant at Trenton,N.S.
CNs mobila rail-walding plant will mova into Moncton in May to bagin the
butt-walding of 39-foot raile into lengths of 1,170 feet. Installation by
EI 100-man rail gang will commence in June l~i th a terminal date of about
October 1. Heavier rail is planned between Sunbury and McGivnay,Napadogan
Deersdale,Estcourt and Ste-Athanase,Escuminac and Nouvelle and Carle·
ton and Maria,in eaetern Quebec. 19 miles of rail line between Veneer and
St. Leonard in central New Brunswick will be rehabilitated to handle more
forest products industry traffic. Passing track fecilitiee will be exten­
ded at Lutesville,N.B •. ,ODell,N.B.,New Richmond,que.,-to accommodate the
longer CN freight trains.
In Newfoundland,7 miles of heavier rail will be laid on the St.Johns sub­
division,while 40,000 ties will be replaced and 75,000 cubic yards of bal­
last will be spread between Bishops Falls and Badger. Pessing tracks are
due for lengthening at Badger,Cooke and Joyce,Nfld. 20 additional living
accommodation cars will be added to CNe Newfoundland regional fleet.
New ferry terminal buildings are planned for CNs trans-Northumberland
Straite services. There will be restaurents,take-out counters,washrooms ,
tourist information deeks and waiting rooms. Second floor facilities will
include a control towar for ferry operating staff. Surround ad by recrea –
tional areas and picnic tablea,the adjoining parking facin1ties can handle
400 cars,at each terminal. They will be ready,CN aays,for 1959 tourists.
THE DECEMBER ISSUE OF CANADIAN RAIL included a picture of CNR 1070
on the Inverness Branch Train,waiting at the Point Tupper N.S. station,on
June 15,1939. In fact,this picture was taken by Mr. M. Greenblatt,who on
that day was visiting the Straite of Canso. The train that appears in the
background is CN no. 5 (the Halifax to Sydney day train) which had just
been off-loaded Atom the train-ferry from Mulgrave. Mr. Greenblatt made
several trips to the Mulgravb-Point Tupper train-farry crOSsing in later
years and now has a good pictoriel record of this unusual reilway oper­
ation which was finally terminated when the Canso Causeway was completed.
To illustrate several articlee which hava been written for
CANADIAN RAIL,the Editor would like to recaive photographs
of the following subjects. These photographs should be, if
possible,5 x 7,black and white,single-weight,glos9y.They
will be returned to the contributor when the article is
published. The usual crsdit line will be provided:
CP RAIL ROBOT I & II in service between Cslgary & Van­
couver in the fsll & wintsr of 1958;
Canadian National Railways & CP Rail
Main and branch-lins trains in and sround 588-
katoon,SaBk.,in 1930-31;
Algoma Centr.l Railway Pictures of ths construction of
this railway (1898-1905) ss well ae pictures of
opsration -steam and diesel •

Grumbling eaet out of McAdam,N.B.,CP RAILs Train 42 heads for Saint John
N.B.,on 2 May 1968. Power on the point included Unite nos. 4069,8466,8745
and 8452,all operating, but the latter two being transferred to Saint John
to balance motiva power requirements. The Bevan car train included RAIL­
TAINER 520037,Exprese 3622,Baggage 4817,Coach 2271,SKYLINE Coffee Shop 504 end
sleepers BLAIR MANOR and RAYMOND. Photo by W.R.Linley,Ottawa,Ont.
Mid-train control car. CP RAILs ROBOT 1 (No. C-4465) and slave unit no.
5563 on a test train, assembled at St-Luc Yard,Montreal.Photo by CP RAIL.
Mr. Roger Boisverts picture of CP RAILs units nos. 4501 & 4502 on tr­
ain no. 91 at Trois Rivi~res,Que.,on 23 August 1968 at 1800 hr. EDST.
Out of the Far Wsst to Eastern Ontario. Former Utah-Idaho Centrel no. 904
on Canadian Nationals siding at Cornwall,Ont.,on 18 April,1948. She be­
came Cornwall Street Railways no. 12. Photo CRHA,EA Toohey Collection.
The Immortal Northern 6218 steps nimbly through the countryside, on page
74,on the trip north from Montreel to Ottawa,about one mile south of Glen
Robertson, with the Associations excursion. Photo kindness Ken DeJean.
Two miles north of AlexandriB~Ont.,Ken DeJean took the picture shown on page
75. Canadien Nationals 6218 & Friends put on e splendid show for
the local citizens. About 600 other enthusiasts rode in the coeches~
In full cry,magnificent 6218 roers through the station at Ste-Justine,Que.
a few miles east of the interprovincial boundary.Ken DeJaan caught her!
The Asaociations Semicentennial Speciai rumbles along between Mount Royal
and Val
Royal,on the 20 October 1968 trip to Deux-Montagnes,Que. Charlie
DeJeen pictured the moment,presented on page 77.
Photo,top of the page,shows CNs no. 101 end, Semicentennial Special coming
out of the cut,north of the Mount Royal Tunnel and approaching the station
etop of the Bema name. Photo kindness Charlie DeJean,Montr~al.
Bottom photograph was taken by Charlie DeJean when Extra 101 north met the
regular afternoon passenger train of MU equipment at Val Royal Station.The
photographers were ALL fascinated!
Charlie DeJeans picture of CN extra 101 north,sta~ding in Val Royal Ste­
tion,-for the benefit of the photographers,naturally!
On page 81,Fred Angus took a picture of ex-CN no. 77,being restored exter­
iorally in the early snows of late 196D.
Fred Angus photo at the top of page 82 shows that CRM no. 77 can and doee
do heavy switching at the Canadian Railway Museum.
Midway on the page is Canadian Pacific Railways famous SCHUOL CAR, which
the Aesociation was most fortunate to acqullie. Fred Angus took the picture.
The (re)NEW(ed) BARRINGTON STATION is shown (courtesy of Fred Angus) on
page 83.Many
appreciative and interested visitors are expected to visit
this Museum project in 1969.
CP RAILs DAYLINER 9051,~omplete with spare brakeman Rollis Lafleur, on page
86,stande at Highway 508 crossing, north of the wye switch, not far
from Calabogia,Ont. Ths CAPER all began with the unusual destination sign
on page 87,which greeted the participants in Ottawa Station. At the top
of page 88,the EGANVILLE EXPRESS is shown at Renfrew Junction (on CNs
time-card) ,while at the page bottom,the EXPRESS pulls out of the etation
on to the main street of Egenville,Ont. Page 8~ shows the EXPRESS at High­
way 508,pausing for operating inspection b, the whole crew. This excel­
lent series of pictures were taken by Doug Campbell of the Ottawa BranCh.
published monthly exoept July & August oombined)
loy the
Assooiate Membership inoluding 11 issues of
Canadian Rail 6.00 annually.
S VlTorthen PRODUCTION P.Murphy
Mr. J.A.Beatty. 4982 Queen Mary Road, Montreal 248. Quebec. Canada,
Hr.M.lveson , Sect·yo, P.O.Box 352, Terminal All Ottawa Onto
ROCKY MOUNTAIN Hr. Donald W.Scafe 12407 Lansdowne Drive, Apt. 101, Edmonton Alta.
K,P.Chlvers, Apt. ), 67 Somerset st. W,

Ottawa, Ontario.
J.S.Nlcholson, 2)06 Arnold st., Saskatoon. saskatchewan.
Peter Cox. 29)6 West 28th. Ave., Vancouver, British Columbia.
W. D.HcKeown I 6-7, 4-chome, Yama te-cho I Sui ta Cl ty, Osaka. Japan.
J .M.S8.nders, 67 Willow Wey, Ampthill, Beds .• England ..
K.G.Younger. 267 Vernon Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Mr. Donald W.Scafe, 12407 Lansdowne Dr1ve, Apt. 101, Edmonton Altao
Copyright 1969
printed in Canada
on Canadian paper

Demande en ligne