Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 206 1969

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 206 1969

1YO 206

proud to present two very
interesting articles tr­
eating the same subject •
Usually,such a presentation is frowned upon by both author and
editor,but inasmuch as these two stories are sO complimentary,
it is considered proper that they should be presented in the
same issue. lhe HISTORICAL SKETCH OJ:. lHE EUROPEAN AND ;WRTH ..1.1.;­
ERICAH RAILWAY is by our member lV1ajor C. Warren Anderson,resi­
dent of Sussex,N.B.,and describes the early drama of building
the railway in that area. THE EUROPEAN AHD NORTH Al,;l!;RIC,H1 HAIL­
WAY,by r
lr. R. Ian Stronach,is the result of a summer project,
while the author was spending a holiday in New Brunswick. j,:r.
Stronach provides a wider examination of the subject,V1ith an
interesting description of the life and work of this rail­
road,-the second in New BrW1swick and the first main-line
proposal in this region. I.jr. Stronach is resident in [,iontreal.
of the European and North American Railway. Buil t by Fleming & Hwn­
bert of Saint John,New BrW1swick,in 1858,she became No. 31 of the
Intercolonial Railway in 1872 and ended her days being sold to J.
H. Beatty of the Record J:.oW1dry,for scrap ,in 1882.Driver Allen
Rand,aPPointed to this position in 1858,stands on the cowcatcher.
is an Indian word meaning long riverll.
Photograph courtesy.Dr. George McBeath.
The GRAND PARADE assembled to mark the occasion of the IIturn­
ing of the first sod on the European and North American Rail-
waY,Saint John,N. B. ,September 14,1853. Visible is the horse-
drawn float of li!essrs. Reid & Wright1sBlack Ball Line with
a model full-rigged clipper-ship William Jackson and a scr­
ew propeller steamer,flying the Black Ball flag. During the
procession,a small model brass cannon on the deck of the
William Jackson was fired repeatedly.Photo New BrW1swick Mus.
.A. IV I-I IS -rc.:> Ft.I C..A.:L.
s~~wr CI-I <>F–rEI~
IV <> Ft. wr I-I ..A. l.Y.I: ~Fl. I C.A.IV
Fl. ..A. I :L. ~..A. Y
with special reference
to its
Major C. Warren Anderson
~ proposal to build a railway for wagons
from st. Andrews,New Brunswick,to Quebec was made
by a Mr. Fairbairn in the UNITED
SERVICES JOURNAL of 1832 and as far as is
known, this is the first notice of a pro­
ject for introducing the railway system
into this part of North America.
This proposal awakened the people of the Province of New
Brunswick to the new scheme of things in Transportation , and on
October 5th.,1835,-nearly a year before the steam locomotive ar­
rived on the scene in British North America,a few prominent cit­
izens of the town of st. Andrews met to consider the proposition
of building a railway from St. Andrews to Quebec and the surveys
were made the following year. The lVebster-Ashburton Treaty con­
cluded between the United States ,Great Britain and her Canadian
colonies in 1842,had regulated the boundary between the eastern
States and British North America. It gave to the State of Maine
most of the territory through which the proposed railway was to
run and although some progress had been made on the line west fr­
om St. Andrews,and trains were running to Chamcook early in 1851
the original plans for the line were never carried to completion.
Between 1845 and 1848,surveys were made on a proposed line
of railway between Halifax,N.S.,and Quebec. One survey was begun
by a Captain Pipon of the Royal Engineers,but as he lost his life
in 1846,trying to save the life of a boy of the surveying party
who had fallen into the Restigouche River,the work was carried on
by a Major Robinson. Captain Pipon is buried in the old cemetary,
in Fredericton,N.B.,and a plaque to his memory is in st. Annels
Parish Church in that city.
Excitement ran high during the summer of 1850, when an an­
nouncement appeared suggesting a scheme for building a railway
between Halifax,Nova Scotia and Portland,,laine. This new railway
was to be called the European and North American Railway and it
formed part of a plan to shorten the time taken for travelling to
North America from Europe ,by using railways and fast sailing ves­
sels between inland cities in North America,HalHax,Ireland and
Great Britain,rather than vessels from Boston and New York. 1~e
use of railways as connecting links would speed up the journey, –
instead of USing-the slower all-water route.
To further this project,a convention of statesmen and bus –
iness men from the United States and Canada was held at Portland,
iVtaine,in the l-atter part of July,1850 and several representatives
were sent from this Province. Upon returning home,the delegates
lost no time in getting down to bUsiness. 1beir first convocation
was held on the afternoon of August 15th.,1850,and this meeting
we are told,was enthusiastic and highly respected. file chair­
man expressed warm sentiments favouring the railway and suggested
that the same legislative encouragement be given to the new oper­
ation that had been given to the Halifax and Quebec Railway,-sur­
veyed in 1846 and which seemed to have been thereafter abandoned.
In spite of all this enthusiasm,the railway question rested
in abayence when the Legislature of New Brunswick met in February
1852,and Governor Heads opening remarks were largely devoted to
the subject of railways. After much discussion pro and con, the
Government of the day carried its railway resolution by a large
The European and North American Railway Company had been
chartered under the authority of 14 Vic. Cap.l, in 1851, with iVir.
Robert Jardine as President of the New Brunswick company. A con­
tract was entered into with Messrs. Peto,Jackson,Brassey and Be –
tts,-prominent hnglish railway contractors,for the building of a
line of railway between Saint John,N.B. and Amherst,N.S. ,and also
from Saint John to the International Boundary with the State of
Maine. ~.his contract was signed at Saint John,at twelve noon, on
September 29th.,1852 and the Volunteer Artillery of the Gity,com­
manded by Major Foster,fired a salute from Chipmans Hill.
It is worthy of note that one of the subcontractors was a Mr.
John Brookfield,-a civil engineer and a native of England.He
was born in 1808 and died in 1870. He did nost of the construct­
ion work on the railway,in and around Saint John and Rothesay, as
well as Contract No. 10,at Sussex,N.B.,after the first contractor
gave up the work. It is said that his experience in the under­
taking proved to be financially disasterous,as a result of mis­
placed confidence,although the knowledge gained (as later events
were to show) largely compensated him for the capital which had
been lost. John Brookfield founded the firm of Brookfield Con­
struction Company in 1860,-moved to Halifax,N.S.,in 1867,where a
head-office was maintained until recent years. The firm was en­
gaged in construction work at the Canadian Army Camp,Oromocto, N.
B.,but went into receivership March 13th.,1958. This seems to be
a reflection of their 1858 experience.
The turning of the first sod on the line of the new rail­
way between Saint John and Shediac took place on the 14th.of Sep­
tember,1853. It was a day of great rejoicing in Saint John and we
are told that
the weather was most propitious,on WednesdaY,for
the imposing demonstrations which took place in
this city. At early dawn,a salute was fired from
-Fort Howe ,by the militia artillery and soon af­
ter eight oclock,members of the different trades
and other bodies were seen hurrying to their pl-
,ace of meeting to join in the procession which
had previously been arranged according to the pr­
ogramme,by Chief Marshall Charles Johnson, High
Sheriff and a connnittee from the Railway Company.
The number of persons in the procession alone was about 5000 and
the line extended over a mile in length; it was an hour pas­
sing one point. A Railway Song,composed by a Mr. Redfern, was
printed and thrown off the Printers float,as it passed along in
the parade. This parade evidently assembled near the King Square,
proceeded along by way of Brussel Street to the Celebration ( Gr­
ounds in the valley,near st. Pauls Chu~ch. Here,a pavillion had
been erected,where the Lieutenant-Governor and his suite arrived
about one oclock,-to be received by a Royal Salute,fired by the
photo beloVV
!he famous WHEELBARROW AND SPADE,-used on at least two Ilsod­
turning occasions.Designed as a stylized lion, the barrow is
of black walnut,encircled with a brass rim and having a birds­
eye maple interior and a butternut wood bottom. The spade has
polished steel blade and a carved black walnut handle ,with a
sil ver shield in the centre of the carving. The whole was de­
posited in the Library at the University of New Brunswick,Fr­
edericton,for safekeeping.Photograph from
local artillery. Mr. Robert Jardine,President of the RailwaY,read
an address of welcome,which was replied to by His Excellency;next
the Reverend J.A.D.Gray,Rector of lrinity Church,offered an ap­
propriate prayer for the day and the undertaking.
The climax of the ceremony now ensued,-the turning of the
sod. Mr. Jardine presented Lady Head with the shovel,which had
been especially made for the occasion,and asked if her Ladyship
would be graciously pleased to commence this great work. ~nth a
gracious self-composure that won the admiration of all hearts,but
with a blushing and thoughtful face ,Lady Head turned the turf,and
assisted by Mr. Jardine and Mr. Hazen,deposited it in the elabor­
ately wrought wheelbarrow. Sods were thereafter deposited by the
Lieutenant-Governor,i-lir. Jardine ,Captain Hobinson,;ir. Poor of Por­
tland,Maine,the Mayors of Saint John and Fredericton,the Presi­
dent of the Mechanics Institute and Commodore Shubrick of the
United States Navy. His Excellency then rolled the barrow along
the platform and dumped the turfs amidst the cheers of the spec­
tators. Upon the Li~utenant-Governors retirement,the people dis­
persed and the various trades,reforming in line,moved along Port­
land,Dock and King Streets to the King Square,where they disban­
A luncheon was held at the Customs House where,together in
company with His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor and party,not
less than seven hundred guests sat down. The doors were opened at
three oclock,with Mr. Jardine in the chair. The assembled guests
ate,drank and toasted the notables and themselves until five th­
irty when,as one reporter naively remarked, We could no longer
see to take notes,-whether it was from the lack of light in the
late afternoon or over-indulgence, we are unable to determine.
Commencinwat about seven oclock,a display of fireworks on
Jeffreys Hill gave general satisfaction to the assembled thous­
ands. A Great Piece, with the motto Success to the Great Un­
dertaking seemed to please the spectators very much. A grand and
gala ball was held in a new building,recently erected for a foun­
dry.near the Valley Church and named the Railway Pavillion. Ihe
dancing commenced at nine 0 clock and was kept up with spirit
until well past midnight,by the eight hundred persons present. A
sad accident marred the evenings pleasure. About one oclock, at
the time when the crowd was dispersing,the gallery supporting the
symphonic band gave way and in falling,fatally injured a young
man,Mr. Thomas Wetmore Rainsford,who was dancing with a Miss Be­
dell. lhe newspapers in reporting the accident next day, said
thus terminated a day ••••••••• a most glorious
beginning and continuance ••••••• ending with a
dreadful accident. II
Mr. Rainsford lies buried in the old cemetary in Fredericton,N.B.
Several banners and ships models,carried in this parade ,
are now deposited in the New Brunswick Museum,while the wheel­
barrow and spade are in the Library at the University of New Br­
unswick. After remaining in the Mechanics Institute for a num­
ber of years,these two items were taken to Fredericton and used
in the turning of the sod of the Fredericton Railway,Rose Val­
leY,November the 4th. ,1867. lhe spad.e was again used in the turf­
turning of the Riviere du Loup Hailway at st. Marys Village, May
the 7th. ,1872.

Celebration Street in Saint John,is so named in honour of
this great event. The people living in number 23,Gelebration st­
reet,claimed that the centre of a rocked-in flower bed,in the ex­
act middle of their lawn was the precise spot from which the fir­
st-dug sod was taken. Be that as it may ••••• l
A special meeting of the Directors of the Railway was held
at noon on September 15th. ,1853. The railway terminus at Saint
John was to be on the lands belonging to Mr~ Henry Gilbert,in the
vicinity of the Marsh Bridge and lands in the Courtney Bay area.
Peto,Jackson,Brassey and Betts Co. continued the work until 1855,
made little progress and during the financial difficulties of
that year,-caused partly by the Crimean War,suspended operations
entirely. In 1857,the Government of the Province of New Brunswick
took over that part of the Railway between Saint John and Shediac
as a government work,-the original name of the road -the Euro­
pean and North American Railway being preserved for this portion.
Shoptly after the government assw~tion of the work, a different
terminus in Saint John was selected. 1he track,after crossing the
creek about a mile eastward of the Marsh Bridge,was altered so as
to pass,in a straight line north of the creek,close to Gilberts
Island and through the Valley and Mill Pond to a station at Mill
II On I;larch 17th. ,1857, the firs t locomotive on
the Saint John to Shediac line was put in
motion,and witnessed by a large gathering
of people. At three oclock, the train con­
sisting of locomotive, tender and three cars
left the station at Mill Street and proce­
eded up the Marsh about three and one-half
miles,where the rails terminated,accomplish­
ing the distance in about twelve minutes. II
(Jacks -Prize Essay on Saint John -1883)
It is presumed that the locomotive SAINT JOHN No. 3,hauled this
train,as the only other engines on the road were at Moncton and
Shediac. The train evidently made several trips. The cars used on
this trip were ballast cars,fitted with wooden seats and it used
to be said that bad boys along the line threw snowballs at the
train from behind the fences,knocking the tophats off the heads
of several of the Companys patrons 1
The LEADER, a Saint John tri-weekly paper,announced in the summer
of 1857, that W.H.Scovil,Chairman of the Board that had charge of
the Railway,advertised that on and after the 20th. of July, a pa­
seenger train will leave the Station at Mill Street ,Portland Br­
idge,daily,Sunday excepted,for the head of the Marsh at 9 oclock
a.m. and 12 Oclock noon,and at 4 and 6 p.m.,calling at the fol­
lowing places: Garden street,near the Valley Church; Gilberts
Lane; Drurys Lane; Ashburn Lane; the Three Mile House and Don­
ovans Lane. Single passage,six pence or fifty tickets for twen –
ty shillings.
The section of the railway between Moncton and Shediac was
opened on August 20th.,1857. Again,gravel cars fitted with board
seats were hauled by the locomotive HERCULES and SAMSON from Mon­
cton to Shediac,-the ride being freel Most of the towns inhab­
itants got on board,assisted by Conductor W.B.Deacon of Shediac •
lhe night before this free jolt and cinder bath, an engine had
crossed the Hall Creek bridge,where the final spikes had been dr­
iven to con~lete the railway between these two places.
The line from Coldbrook and Rothesay was opened for traffic
on JIDC 1,1858. A shanty tOlm had been established (accidental­
ly) at Quispamsis and to accommodate the irish labourers,a Romo.n
Catholic church had beon built in 1854,only to be destroyed by
fire about 1934. On JIDe 18th.,1859,the Railway was completed to
Ossekeag,-now Hampton station. It was at this .;tation that Mr.
F.B.Edr;ecombe of Fredericton.N.B. was taught telegraphy by Mr.Lew
Carvell and others. Construction east from Hampton Station contin­
ued,and on Novelllber lOth. ,1859,it was opened to Sussex. It is not known
definitely how the event was celebrated by the townspeople
but we do know that a gala dinner was held,-no doubt preceded by
or followed by other suitable entertainments. The locomotive that
hauled the first train could have been No. 11,-the SUSSJl:X, built
by the Springfield Locomotive Company,Springfield,N1ass.,which had
been purchased second-hand by the E. & N.A. in October,1859.
lhe railway was to have been completed to Moncton by July
18th. ,1860,as verified by a telegram received by Illr. Robert Jar­
dine from Mr. n. Stevens,dated July 14th. ,which read: lhe road
will be ready for opening on Wednesday the eighteenth. However,
a delay in obtaining rails and defects in the Salmon River Bridge
delayed the actual opening IDtil August 1st. It is thought that
the rails met somewhere in the vicinity of what was later the old
Ainsley Aiton !arm (Brick Yard Road). !he first engine drivers to
pass over the road,-Saint John to Shediac,were driver A.H. Rand,
with Conductor Gavin Rainnie; driver Henry A. V;hitney and Conduc­
tor William GaIDce and Zachariah (Zack) Lord with W.B. Deacon,
as Conductor. lhese were household names in their generation.
In Saint John,the Directors finding the price of five acres
in the Mill Pond area rather expensive,determined to place the
passenger station on the track between Dorchester and Garden st­
reets,with the engine house and car station at Gilberts Lane. Mr
John Brookfield was the contractor and the cost of all buildings
was 7,054 pounds sterling.
On August 4th.,1860,amid general rejoicing,Edward,Prince of
Wales, (later King Edward VII) was carried over tho line, from
Saint John to Rothesay. The latter place was named for one of the
Princes titles,-he was the Earl of Rothesay,in 1870. At the la­
tter place,he embarked on the steamer FOREST QUEEN for the journ­
ey to }redericton. The locomotive PRINCE OF WALES ,No.12, having
been delivered to the Railway the month before by Messrs. Fleming
and Humbert of Saint John,hauled the train. !he car used by the
Prince later became part of the equipment of the Sussex Train ,
and was in use until 1902.
The railways equipment at this time was very meagre. In
1861,the entire rolling stock of the road was 14 locomotives, 12
first-class cars and 6 second-class cars,4 express cars,-mail &
baggage types included,63 freight cars and 105 platform (flat)wa­
gons. The time-table was a simple affair. !here was a train going
to Point du Chene in the morning,returning to Saint John in the
evening. The train which went to Sussex left Saint John at 4.30 p
m. each daY,returning the next morning,leaving Sussex at 7.00a.m.
r:.o:ntF.s.u :5:IATJON., O~ THEl!. 4l N. A.. B. ft., LOOKINO TOWARDi!o GRA.SD O–¥.-.IIO:4, 7);<)TOOUU IV E. J. ttrU.t..L.
rhe station at RothesaY,N.B. ,on the E. & N.A.RailwaY,as it looked
in the middle 1860s. Pirst called Kennebecasis Station,the name was
changed to Rothesay in 1870. Ihe station was built by j,ir.Alfred
Harris, being started in April ,1858 and completed about june 1 of
that year. The first station-master was Mr. M.A.Cumrning.
Photograph courtesy of New Brunswick l,;us.
It was known as the Sussex or short-line train and
to run up until the 1950s,-probably one of the oldest
on this section of the road,.
1he salaries of the railway employees were by no means lu­
crative. Alexander Davidson,the terminal agent at Point du Chene
received $ 600.00 per yea:r and the agent at Sussex,-Mr. Caleb
Olive,received 0 500.00. The other ten agents were graded down to
$ 250.00,which was the lowest and was the sum received by J. E.B.
McCready,the station agent at Penobsquis. No wonder he gave up
workine; for the railway to enter the newspaper field l
fue duties of the train crew in this era,-particularly the
brakesman,were various. He had to clean the passenger cars,inside
and out,at the end of each trip. He was required to fill up the
wood-boxes in each car and keep the stoves going in cold weather.
He was called upon to assist in wooding-up the engines, to run
the alarm cord (bell-cord) over the tops of the cars,to hustle to
apply the brakes when the engineer whistled for them and when the
train was storm-stayed,to shovel snow into the tender to melt in­
to water,to feed the boiler for steam generation. This truly kept
the engine alive. As extra trains were not provided with vans,
and the conductor had but one assistant, the brakesman was ob­
liged to ride the rear car with a flag or a lamp in his hand.i,jore
often than not,especially in the fall of the year,he had to lie
down on the car roof,near the brake ,shielding his face from the
rain and sleet and falling leaves with his arm,as best he could.
1~e box cars were not equipped with end or side ladders and when
it was necessary to make a coupling or pull a pin,he would lower
himself from the car roof to the drawbar and after pulling the
pin, would catch the roof edge with his hands and hoist himself up
by main force. The wages of a brakesman at that time were $ 1.25
per day,or $ 35.00 per month,with no allowance for overtime or de­
As for the enginmen,the locomotive burned wood for fuel and
frequent stops had to be made to replenish both wood and water.At
these stops,the Fireman was assisted by the brakesman and often
by the passengers. Pumps were used to feed water from the tender
to the boiler. Quite often when the water in the boiler got low ,
the engine had to be detatched from the train and run up and down
the track,so that the pump which worked off the piston cross-head
could pump water to the boiler. There were no lubricators in the
cab,but fitted to each steam-chest was a valve tallow-cup, into
which hot tallow was poured to lubricate the valves and pistons.
The tallow was kept liquid in a can or tallow~pot on the boiler
back-head and the name tallow-pot has been bestowed through the
years on the locomotive fireman,who has inherited it,ever since.
The firemans wages were about the same as those of the brakes­
man. Of course,those of the driver were more,being on a par with
those of the conductor.
Many of the construction workers were ships labourers ,who
were glad to earn a dollar a day laying ties when work in the sh­
ipyards was slack. Some were given ninety cents a day only and
had to furnish their own shovels. Engineering problems that vexed
our pioneer railway builders seem like childs play to their mod­
ern counterparts. Little Lawlors Lake,near Brookville,N.B., was
thought to be a bottomless quagmire over which it would be very
foolhardy to send trains,risking the lives of the passengers. To­
day,they would drain the lake and build the right-of-way.
lhe extension of the Europe an and North American Railway ,
west of Saint John,was begun in 1865 and was known as the West –
ern Extension. The terminal was at Fairville,on the west bank of
the St. John River,the first sod being turned in Jones Field,not
far from South Bay. Tne railroad was opened as far as City Camp,­
now McAdam,N.B. in 1869 and the last spike of the European and
North American Railway was driven at Vanceboro,Maine,on October
19th.,1871.Despite this joining of the lines of the New Brunswick
comp any with those of its Maine counterpart, a through conne ction
to Portland,lilaine was not possible ,since a portion of the route
between Waterville and Bangor,Maine,had been changed to standard
gauge in 1870~
The Intercolonial Railway,which took over many of the first
railway lines in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick,assumed ownership
of the E.& N.A. from the Province of New Brunswick on November 9,
1872. In 1873,Sandford Fleming,Engineer-in-Chief of the Intercol­
onial,put up a case for the st!illdard North American gauge of 4ft.
8t inches. The Federal Government agreed,but due to the necessi­
ty of converting the rolling stock, this change was not complete
until June,1875. After that,a through connection was possible to
Portland,Boston and New York,as well as to r,lontreal. The first
through train from Halifax,Nova Scotia through Moncton,N.B./ via
the Matapedia Valley (but with a connection from Saint John), ar­
rived at Levis,oPPosite the city of Quebec,on July 6th.,1876.
Roster of Locomotive Engines
From the Report of the Manager -30 June 1868.
12 13 14
4-4-0 4-4-0 4-4-0 4-4-0
4-4-0 4-4-0
15×22 15×22
60 60 54
60 60 66
66 60
June 1854 Hinkley
June 1854 Hinkley
Dec.1856 Portland No.64
June 1858
June 1859
Aug. 1859
July 1860
Nov. 1860
July 1861
Fleming & Humbert
Fleming & Hurabert
Fleming & Humbert
Fleming & Humbert
Fleming & Humbert
Fleming & Humbert
Sold to St. Stephen Branch Railway,June,1866.
Sold to Woodstock Branch Rail way ,1869.
Two new engines being built by Fleming & Humbert,Saint John:
PHOTQ PAGE 81 A photograph which has been widely reproduced shows
E.&.N~A~-~~12. PRINCE OF WALES (later Intercolonial No. )4) with
the RQ¥a-l-Tr.ain of 1860, at the Wall street Bridge,Saint John.
N • B. Thi s eng:lne was re bui 1 t to standard gauge and converted to
burn coal in 1875. She was sold to J.H.Beatty in 1887, presumably
for scrap.
Photograph courtesy Maj. C.W.Anderson.
PHOTO BELOW 1 At the eastern end of the line, the station at
Moncton, N.B., was Just as unique as its western counterpart.
Builtin 1854, and demolished in 1958 it is shown here as a pri­
vate dwelling at No. 10 McAllen Lane, Moncton. -Photo C.N.R.-

-rI-I~ ~~Fl.<>F»~..A.IV
..A..1T X> IV <> Fl. -r ~
..A. :lYI ~ Fl. I C..A.1V
R. Ian Stronach.
-r he European and North American Railway,
which was first chartered in the Prov­
ince of New Brunswick,Canada,as the Ch­
ignecto Canal and Ship Railway,was the
second railway in New Brunswick. When
completed,it ran from Saint John to Am­
herst,in the neighbouring province of
Nova Scotia, via lVioncton,N.B.,and had a
branch to Shediac ,N.B. ,on Northumberland
The idea for such a railway was first discussed in 1850, at
Portland,in the State of Maine,-some three hundred miles south
of the city of Saint John. Representatives of the Canadian Prov­
inces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick met with their counterpar­
ts from the State of Maine. The purpose of their discussion was
to plan a railway route from the ports of Shediac and Saint John
to the head of the Great Lakes and Chicago,using the Atlantic and
st. Lawrence-St. Lawrence and Atlantic Hailroads to lilontreal and
the projected Grand Trunk Railway Companys line to Toronto and
As a result of the conference,two companies were organized,
and chartered,-one under the laws of the Province of New Bruns­
wick and one under the laws of the State of Maine. Each railway
bore the name II Europe an and North American Railway Company and
was to look after the construction of the railway in the section
under its jurisdiction.
The European and North American Railway which will be des­
cribed is that which ran in New Brunswick. The two Companies were
to join at the International Boundary,near what is now Vanceboro,
Maine. On September 29,1852,a contract for the construction of
the railway from the International Boundary between Maine and New
Brunswick,and the interprovincial boundary between New Brunswick,
and Nova Scotia,was awarded to the English contracting firm of
Peto,Brassey,Jackson and Betts. This company was very active in
Canadian railway construction.
Construction was started at the western end of the railway,
in 1853,but due to financial difficulties in 1855,operations were
temporarily suspended until July 6,1856,when the Government of
New Brunswick purchased the line from the contractors and the new
proprietors continued the work.
The first part of the line,from Saint John to Three
House (later Cold Brook),was opened on March 17,1857. The
portion of the line,from Moncton to Shediac,on the eastern
the undertaking,was officially opened on August 20,1857.
end of
with splendid celebrations,a grand excursion was run over the new
line. The E. & N.A.s first station in Moncton was a quaint lit­
tle structure on the south side of the main street. When the In­
tercolonial Railway took control of the E. & N.A. in 1872, plans
were drawn up for a new station, which was built in 1876. The old
depot was relocated thereafter and was finally demolished in 1958.
The European and North American Railway Company is a long
and somewhat awkward name at first,but it is quite understandable
when the reason for it is known. It was the intention of the in­
corporators to build a railway line from Halifax,Nova Scotia, th­
rough New Brunswick to Saint John and thence to Portland, !liaine •
! and western North America. The basic idea was to have year-around
transport from Europe and Great Britain to British North America
and the United States,via either Halifax or Saint John,which were
ice-free ports. Not only that,but these ports were nearer to the
British Isles and Ireland than the American ports farther south.
A hundred years ago,railway planners seem to have been th­
inking of possible level-crossing accidents,for there were only
four crossings of the main post-road between Moncton and Shediac
on the level. All of the other crossings were made by means of
bridges over the railway line.
The first locomotives purchased by the E. & N.A. were the
HERCULES and the SAMSON,both of which were built in 1854 by the
Boston Locomotive Works,Boston,Mass. fhis Company afterwards be­
came the well-known firm of Hinckley and Drury. The two engines
were shipped from Boston by sailing vessel,-one to Nioncton and one
to Shediac. The SAMSON which went to 1>1oncton,was used as a work
engine when the railway was being constructed,while the HER~
CULES went to Shediac and remained there until the winter,when it
was pl aced on double sleds and taken to the shops, where it was at
last assembled. Both locomotives were wood-burners and had sixty
inch drivers. They cost about $ 8,000 each. They were built to
the gauge of 5 feet 6 inches. They were 4-4-0s and were subse­
quently assigned to the Nioncton-Shediac run.
By 1858,the E. & N.A. owned six other engines of the 4-4-0
wheel arrangement,which were constructed as follows:
Portland Locomotive Works No. 64
Fleming & Humbert -Saint John,N.B.
Hinkley Locomotive Works -Boston
Hinkley Locomotive Works -Boston
Hinkley Locomotive Works -Boston
Hinkley Locomotive Works -Boston
The LOOSTAUK was the first locomotive built in the Province of New
The first station of the EurOpean and North American,in Saint
John,N.B. Built about 1858,it was in use until about 1884. The
picture W·.IS probably taken in the late 1870s.
Photograph courtesy i;:aj.C.W.Anderson.
Rolling stock,as of 1858,consisted of:
2 first-class passenger cars
2 second-class passenger cars
11 freight cars
18 platform cars (flat cars)
3 trucks
5 hand-cars
1 snow plow
The total cost of these vehicles was about $ 22,000.
Fuel for the engines was cord-wood,in three to four foot
lengths,which was purchased from farmers along the line. rhese
farmers received tokens for the wood used by the Railway Com­
pany from piles placed conveniently near the track at designated
locations. These tokens could be redeemed from the Companys a­
gents,in money,at any time.
Business was brisk during the opening days of the railway.A
report for freight carried between 19 April and 30 October,1857 ,
gives the following totals:
Going East from Moncton:
Flour 4,247 barrels. Sugar 219 hogshead
Molasses 32 barrels. Molasses 119 hogshead
Sugar 78 barrels. Pork 184 barrels
Tea 413 chests. lobacco 221 boxes
Dry fish 190 Ibs. Candles 152 boxes
Soap 314 boxes. Lime 34l casks
Bar Iron 132,430 Ibs. Castings 20,707 Ibs.
Oil 99 barrels. Nails 740 bags & kegs
Salt 87 bags. Bricks 13,250
Coal 32 tons. Stoves 71
Ploughs 134 Vehicles 16
Liquor 105 casks -69 barrels -67 kegs

77 cases.
Going West to Moncton:
Oatmeal 115,360 Ibs.
Potatoes 1,265 bushels
Barley 928 bushels
Pork 249 barrels
Eggs 148 barrels
65 boxes
Butter 445 packages
Salt 44 bags
Salmon 77 hogshead
227 boxes
Dead Hogs 56
Bricks 6,750
A genulne Cord Wood Token from
the E.& N.A. Ry. Thls one belon­
ged to the englneer of the loco­
motlve PRINCE OF WALES, No. 12
as lndlcated on the token. Thls
rel1c ls now preserved ln the
Beausejour Museum. Photo courtesy
of Canadlan Natlonal Ral1ways.
Oats 14,461-barrels
Plums 110 bushels
Herrings 712 barrels
Oysters 864 barrels
Lobster 15 boxes
Dry fish 12,554 Ibs.
Lard 22 packages
Stones 709 tons
Lumber 72,730 sq.ft.
Horses 18
Coal 89 tons
Wagons 14
Passenger traffic and gross earnings therefrom, on the E. &
N.A. are reported for the period between 1861 and 1872,when the
line was taken over by the Intercolonial. The figures for 1857-60
are not available:
1861 171,291 $ 130,678
1862 132,094 107,640
1863 130,688 129,272
1864 139,554 145,057
1865 144,336 133,408
1866 148,924 148,330
1867 159,119 154,370
1868 171 ,453 166,578
1869 169,058 182,795
1870 191,192 190,557
1871 216,294 251,459
1872 268,956 294,059
On August Ist.,1860,the section of the E. & N.A.,from Saint
John to Moncton,N.B.,was officially opened. The cost per mile of
PHOTO ABOVE: Last ride of the locomotive No. 1 HERCULES, Built
by Hinkley of Boston in 1854. she later became Intercolonial No.
1. Photo taken near Point du Chene N.B. engine being transported
to Batemans Brook for use as a sawmill stationary boiler:
PHOTO PAGE 14: Water colour by an unknown artist, depicts arun­
off at Quispamsis on the E&NA in the period 1860-67. Engine
No 11 SUSSEX was the victim. rhe sketch was loaned for photo­
graphing by Mr. J,Ernest Moore. of Moncton N.B.
construction was considerably more expensive than the first sec­
tion,-$ 50,000 versus $ 22,000. In 1868,the eastern section of
the Railway was opened between Moncton and Dorchester. jhe line
was continued to Sackville,N.B.,and on December 17,1869,it was at
last finished and officially opened. Another extension of the E.
6; N.A. followed in 1870,-this time to Amherst,N.B. Below is a
swnmary of the official opening dates of various sections of the
1I10ncton,N. B. to Shediac,N.B. 18.65 miles August 20,1857
Saint John. to Cold Brook 3.00 March 17,1857
Cold Brook to Rothesay 5.80 June 1,1858
Rothesay to Hampton 13.20 June 18,1859
Hampton to Sussex 21.70 November 10,1859
Sussex to ffioncton 45.76 August 1,1860
Total : 107.97 miles
The European and :~orth jlIl1erican Bailway was purchased by
the Government of the Province of New Brunswick,from the contrac­
tors,in 1856 and was operated by this agency until it was taken
over by the newly-formed Federal Government of the Dominion of
Canada in 1867. It was purchased by the Intercolonial Railway on
November 9,1872 and subsequently found its Vlay into the Canadian
National Railways crom corporation in 1923. The present-day main
line of the CNR,between Moncton and Saint John,N.B.,runs over the
original right-of-way of the second railway in New Brunswick,-rhe
European and North American.
A History of Moncton. Machwn,Lloyd A.
History of the Canadian National, CNR Public
Its Subsidiaries and Its Predecessors. Relations
1C~f~ (;oR;HI:E:RI;.T~~~.A~I~~FF~LBO;I~~~ •• •
~ he Canadian Post Office,on November 1,1968,
issued a new six-cent postage stamp, which
will be the regular issue to cover the new
first-class postage rate. This stamp is gen­
erally similar to the 1 through 5-cent reg­
ular varieties of 1967,but the design incor­
porates illustrations of varioua means of
transportation and,prominently in the fore­
ground,is the unmistekable likeness of the
The inclusion of a railway train in the design of a Canadian
postage stamp recalls other stamps,-some more than a century old, issued
in British North Amsrica,and depicting trains or locomotives.
In 1860, only twenty years after the worlds first postage
stamp had appeared and 24 years after the opening of Canadas first rail-
way,the Province of New Brunswick,-then a separate colony, not yet uni­
ted with Canada,produced a new series of stamps.The one-cent value, show­
ing an imposing view of a 4-4-0 locomotive of the European and North Am­
erican Railway,was the first stamp in the world to show a railway
subject. It is said that the engine was the PRINCE OF WALES,-which was
newly-built to haul the Royal Train of 1860,on the E. & N.R., when the
Prince of Wales,later King Edward VII,visited the North American provin­
ces. After Confederation in 1867,the postage stamps of Canada replaced
those of New Brunswick and the pioneering 4-4-0 disappeared from the let­
ters of eestern Canada. Fortunately however,large supplies of unused st
amps of the Province of New Brunswick came into the hands of collectors ,
at this time and they are still quite common.
For the next sixty years,no trains or engines appeared on
Canadas postage stamps,but in 1927,a special series commemorated the 60
tho Anniversary of Confederation. The orange 2o-cent special delivery st­
amp bore scenes representing transportation, including a modern steam-haul­
ed passenger train, going through the Rocky Mountains. One year later, in
1926,a 5-cent stamp of Newfoundland showed a four-car passenger train,with
a 4-6-2 steam engine as motive power. The whole was labelled Express cro­
ssing Newfoundland. It is interesting to speculate where the perfectly
straight,level double-track might be found on the notoriously curved and
undulating main line of the Newfoundland Railway.
Early in 1929,a new regular issue twenty-cent stamp appeared
in Canada. This bright red and white stamp showed a western prairie scene:
complete with a railway train having an open-end observation car on the
rear and heading in the direction of the distant Rocky Mountains.
This stamp was discontinued after three years,and then fol­
lowed b further two decades of trainless Canadian stamps. During this
time occurred the Centennial of Canadas Railways and the Government was
petitioned to issue a special stamp in 1936 to commemorate this anniver –
sary. However,it seemed that Ottawa did not then feel that this was of
sufficient importance and no such stamp was ever produced. Eventually in
1951,the Centennial of postage stamps in Canada was commemorated by a
series of four new values,the black 4-cent of which made up for the pre­
vious omission by portraying TWO trains,-one being that of the By town &
Prescott Railway in the 1850s and the other a modern diesel-hauled pas­
senger train of 1951. The latter was a C.P.R. train hauled by a C.N.R.en­
gine! 1963 saw the issuance of a 5-cent commemorative for the 150th. Ah­
niversary of the birth of Sir Casimir Gzowski,and beside the portrait of
the renowned engineer,is a Grand Trunk Railway steam engine of the 1860s.
While these are the only Canadian postage stamps on which
trains or engines are seen,one must not forget the 12-cent variety of 1928
showing the famous ~uebec Bridge, nor the S 1 value of 1946, depicting the
train-ferry S.S.ABEGlllEIT ,on her voyage between New Brunswick and Prince
Edward Island. The 10-cent Macdonald-Cartier commemorative of 1914 was
designed to include an 1860 view of the Victoria Bridge at Montreal, but
the stamp was never released due to the outbreak of iJlor Id Illar I and today
less than half-a-dozen specimens exist.
Now the TURBOTRAIN appears on Canadas mail and,at long last
a train is shown on a stamp of regular issue in nationwide service. May
both it and its protptype enjoy many years of service in the time to come.
As a p.S. to the article by Mr. F.F.Angus,on Railway
Trains on Canadas Stemps,our Director of Membership and Branches,Mr.
J.A.Beatty,asks us to remind the members that the Post Office Depart­
ment of the Government of Canada continues to insist that the follow­
ing information be added to your address,on the envelope of CANADIAN
RAIL and other communications from the Association:
your apartment number,if applicable,and
the postal zone,according to the recently­
established urban divisions.
It sometimes happens that communications not having this information are
returned to the sender as undeliverable because of· insufficient ad­
dress. To avoid this embarassing situation,check the address on this
envelope for CANADIAN RAIL, and write us IMMEDIATELY with the necessary
corrections. Why wait till Spring 7 Do It Now!
Til C Ptlll
• ST~ llWBllCI
S. S. Worthen.
X n spite of the high ideals, expressed in the
opening paragraph of the article on the Cham­
plain & St. Lawrence Railroad in CANADIAN
RAILs 200th Issue -(June, 1968), the author
has been found guilty of relying too heavily
on information which was considered valid in
1936, but which subsequently was shown to be
incorrect. This information concerned the
first three engines of the Railroad
and the
error was caught by Mr. C. W. Kenneth Heard,
former Secretary of the Association, now re­
sident in Ottawa, Canada.
Mr. Heard wrote to the Editor as follows:
The article stated (page 147) 1 that the Company purchased two
Norris engines, the Laprair1e and the Jason C. Pierce
i built in 1837 and 1839 respectively. In fact, there was on y one
Norris engine, the Jason C. Pierce, – a 4-2-0, purchased
in 1837. The Laprairie was created unwittingly by the late
Mr. John Loya, first president of the Association -(in 1932),
by placing too much credence jn the recollections of some old­
timers who confused a later engine named Laprairie with the
Jason C. Pierce. The recollections of these old-timers ap­
parently connected the engine name Laprairie with the first
northern terminus of the railway, on the assumption that since
the first engine was named after one terminus -(Dorchester –
later St. Johns, Que.), the second was presumably named after
the other. John Loye later repudiated the creation of the
Laprairie, and bitterly regretted having done a mechanical
drawing of it.
The late Mr. Robert R.Brown did two articles on the Dor-
chester and the Jason C. Pierce for the Associations NEWS RE­
PORT in 1957 -nos. 74 and 77. He had intended to follow these re­
ports with a third, exploding the myth of the Laprairie forever.
Unfortunately, the third article was never published. Mr. Heard
notes that the late Mr 0 Brown since publishing the article (in the
R. & L.H.S. Bulletin in 1936) corrected himself and the corrections
have been published subsequently by him in several places.
A few explanatory notes are in order for the table which
concludes this report. There is unanimity among railwar. locomotive
historians on the existing information regarding the Dorchester
and the Jason C. Pierce, -the first two steam locomotives of the
Champlain and St. Lawrence Railroad. The third engine ~ -the Mont­
real was buH t in 1846 (according to Mr. Brown) or 1~47 (according
to Mr. Samuel Keefers Report on the Railways of Canada for 1859).
Mr. Keefer wrote that this engine was not in use in 1859. The Rail­
way did purchase an engine named Laprairie in 1852 from the Taun­
ton Manufacturing Company of Taunton, Mass., U.S.A. The occurrence
of this engine in the records of the Company, after 1852, confused
researchers and old-timers, as Mr. Heard notes.
Moreover, by 1851, there wlas a second engine named Dor­
chester on the line -the original one having been sold to La Com­
pagnie du Chemin a Rails du St-Laurent et du Village dYndustrie at
Lanoraie, Lower Canada. When the Champlain and St. Lawrence and the
Montreal and New York Railroads amalgamated, in May, 1857, another
confusion was created, since the new railroad -the Montreal and Champlain,
now possessed two locomotives named ~Montreal. One was
ex-C. & St.L., built by Baldwin in 1846, a 4-4-0, and the other was
ex-Montreal & Lachine, built by Kinmond of Dundee, Scotland, a
2-2-2, also a sister locomotive of the John Molson, of the C. &
In Bulletin Number 3 (First Series) of the Canadian Rail­
road Historical Association, there was a report in November! 1937,
containing excerpts from the Record Book of Thomas Lester D xon, a
painting contractor of St. Johns, Quebec. This man worked for the
Champlain & St. Lawrence, between 1846 and 1853. No reference was found
in his record book to work being done on the locomotive La­
prairie, although there are entries for painting the Dorchester
and the Jason C. Pierce. Later entries show painting work done on
the Montreal, the Champlain and the John Molson, as 1o1ell as
the St. Lawrence and the Canada. The entries in this record
book thus substantiated other information, which finally led to the
compilation of the following list. It is hoped to gain further in­
formation from an original account ledger of the C. & St. L., for­
the years 1836-1845, now under study by one of the Associations
Roster of the First Locomotives of the Champlain and
st. Lawrence Railroad: 1836-1852.
The following roster is supplied through the kindness
of Hr. R. Douglas Brown, from information in his late
fathers records.
Name Date Type Bu ilder Bldrs Cylin-Dri-
built no. ders vers
DORCHESTER 1836 0-4-0 Robt. Stephenson & 127 9×14 48 Co.
Tyne, England.
JASON C.PIERCE 1837 4-2-0 Wm. Norris (unknown)
Philadelphia, Pa. 9×18 48
MONTREAL 1846 4-4-0 M. Baldwin, 265 llx16 54
Philadelphia, Pa.
CHAMPLAIN 1847 4-4-0 Wm. Norr is (unknown) 15×22 60
Philadelphia, Pa.
JOHN MOr.sON 1847 2-2-2 Kinmond, Hutton, (unknown) 14×22 60
& Steel,
Dundee, Scotland
ST. LAWRENCE 1851 4-4-0 Baldwin Loco. Wks. 420 15×20 60
Philadelphia, Pa.
CANADA 1851 4-4-0 Wm. Norris (unknown) 13×26 60
PhiladelphIa, Pa.
ST. LAMBERT 1851 4-4-0 Taunton Loco. Wks. 84 14×20 66
Taunton, Mass.
HELEN 1851 4-4-0 Taunton Loco. Wks. 99 14×20 66
Taunton, Mass.
DORCHESTER 1851 4-4-0 Taunton Loco. Wks. 103 16×20 60
Taunton, Mass.
LAPRAIRIE 1852 4-4-0 Taunton Loco. Wks. 113 16×20 60
Taunton, Mass.
i 0·; . VRrl R!t,. · -. .. ….:-
• ,…. • • • • j.
· …. . . . . ..
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Fri.c Johnson sAnds thls picturE) of CanmOl:e Mines
No. () (0X CPR) as she NF.S :I.n September,lflG2. To­
day,she is not·:vered at Her1.tage Pa>:>k ,
gary, Al tao
PHOTO AT RIGHTI Far from Ontario
Northlands rails, Quebec, North
Shore and Labradors No. 702 is·
carefully preserved by the ci ty
of Sept Iles, Quebec, on the no­
rth shore of the sto Lawrence
E.ivero Pierre Viau took this pic­
ture on 4 August 19680
PHOTO AT LEFTI Besides some GP-9
locomotives, Algoma Central Ry.
has two switchers, this one and
its twin Noo 140. Walter Bedbrook
our roving director, found it im
August 19680
PHOTO OPPOSITEIExpatriate Canadiam
Pacific No. 1293. now Monadnock,. Steamtown
and Northern No. 127
crosses route 27 at Sherborn Mass.
on May 6, 1967. Photo courtesy
of R.M.Clark. Sherborn, Mass.

Passenger SBrvice Notes:
Canadian National Railways now operate TEMPO TRAINS eq­
uipment on three of its Toronto-Sernia and Toronto-Windsor services. This
has resulted in the return to Montreal-Quebec City RAPIDO Service of the
five-car stainless-steel train-set formerly known as Le Champlain,orig­
inally the Reading Companys Crusader. This train ie now operating as
CN nos. 20 and 25,in the opposite direction to the old Le Champlainsch­
edule,which is now numbered 21 and 24. This once-modern equipment,now 31
years old,introduced the RAPIDO concept of high-speed intercity passengar
train service on CN,along with european-style parlor cars.
A recent short trip on Canadian Nationals train no.151
enabled the~iter to look over the TEMPQ equipment and a few impreesions
follow. The TEMPO trains consist of five cars: a club (parlor) car, with
the now-familiar two and one seating and a small galley,where precooked
meals ere reheated in airline faahion; these are served at passengars pl­
aces (seats) which however do not recline very far. There are individual
lights in the bottoms of the baggage racks above the seats. Doors between
the cars are operated by depression of push-plates and ali de to one side.
Three coaches intervene and the fifth car is a sneck-ber lounge coach. It
includes a lounge where drinks are servad,lika those of the 3000-series
coaches and a sneck-bar,which provides the entire meal sarvice for coach
passengers,but in which ho~-food service ia restricted to soup,hot-dogs,
hamburgers and coffee. There are also railway sandwiches. Salad platea,
and the usual candy,cakes and pies are available,but none of the n hot­
meal selections mentioned in the sdvance publicity can be obtained.
Altogether,there is little sustenance for a four-hour
trip,taking place over meal-hours. The cars are built of aluminum and are
mounted on four-wheeled,inbosrd-framed trucks of quite singular appearance
with disc brakea outside the wheels. The riding qualities of these cars
are definitely inferior to that of the 5435-5649 series. All cars are el­
ectrically-heated and air-conditioned,using power from an auxiliary gen –
erator set,on the locomotive. The locomotives are 1,800 hp.-M.L.W. road –
awitchers and have a special colour schame,which makes them readily dis­
tingujshable. They have orange hoods and light grey cabs. The auxiliary
diesal-generating sets. are,fortunately,relatively quiet,compared to those
used on the GO TRANSIT trains,whose GP-40 units make as much noiae at re­
st aa they do at full speed.
Other Events:
Canadian National is also scrapping passenger cars,mos­
tly of the heavyweight type. A brockville-bound freight train,seen in ear­
ly November,1968,included three parlor cars,one coach and two baggage cars
en route to the London Reclamation Yard,London,Ont.,for ecrapping.
CP Rail removed the full parlor car service from its
Montreal-Quebec City trains,at the beginning of September 1968,but provi­
ded parlor car accommodation in the tremenduosly-adaptabla ~Skyline Coffee
Shop cars,which now operate in three configurations. The parlor car var­
iant was first introduced on Montreal-Ottewa trains 232 and 235 two years
ago. The latter trains have now been reduced to only three cars,-a bag­
gage-domitory,a Skyline and a coach I
The Ontario Northland Railway has also benefitted from
CP Rails progressive de-emphasis of passenger service. The provincially­
owned road has been leasing 4 CP Rail 2200-series coaches during the sum­mer
of 1968 and has also owned three others for more than a year. The
latter have now been repainted in the ONR green and are adorned with the
coat-of-arms of the Province of Ontario. The Development Road recently
acquired the CENTENNIAL TRAIN exhibit cars,which were also former CP Rail
2200s,but has not yet decided what to do with them. The ONR has discon –
tinued repainting its diesel-electric units in the dark green and white
redesigned colour scheme and has reverted to the green,red and yellow
original combination which,although more complicated to apply,is also the
more attractive and the more highly visible of the two. .
Containers of various shapes and sizes have been with
us for a long time,but they have never found such favour in the eyes of
railways and ships as at present. In mid-November 1968,a new container
ship,-the M.V. MANCHESTER CHALLENGE, docked at a new facility in the Port
of Montreal. The containerized cargo was unloaded by special cranes,which
transferred some of them to special CNR flatcars, for prompt despetch to
western Canadian cities. Most of them went via express freight trains
to a recently-opened terminal near Toronto,but some went as far west as
Edmonton,Alta. This operation marked the beginning of a joint Manchestar
Liners-Canadian National conteiner-freight service. The M.V. MANCHESTER
CHALLENGE will be joined next year by two sister ships,for the same ser­
vice. All three will be specially-strengthened for navigation in ice-lad­
en waters.The accompanying artisis sketch is reproduced through the cou­
rtesy of Manchester Liners,Ltd. This Company says that the services to
Montreal will be year-round. The unloading-loading crane at the Port of
Montreal is 136 feet high,has a reach of 80 feet from dockside and can
lift 25 tons. It travels along the dock 500 feet on its own raile, paral­
lel to the moored ehip,costs more than $ 1 million and is the fourth of
its kind in the world. The Manchester Liners,Ltd.,containers are painted
bright orange and are marked Manchester Liners in large white letters • They
have appeared at such logicel locetions ae Turcot Piggyback Yard and
Storage Limited,-a trucking terminal near CNs Montreal Yard.
CP Rail has announced that its container services will
be handled through the Port of Quebec. Two ships will be chartered until
two new specialized ships are completed in 1970. Port Councils at Saint
John,N.B. and Halifax,N.S. are taking immediate steps to establish con­
tainer porte at their cities,with a view to designation as the Atlantic
Ocean end of the Transcontinental Land-Bridge for container traffic to
the Far East.
CP Rail has applied to the Railway Transport Committee
of the Canadian Transport Commission,to abandon the Eganville Subdivision
from Payne to Eganville,Ont.,-about 15 miles and also the Calabogie Spur
from Renfrew to Calabogie,Ont.,-about 12 miles. The latter is the north
end of the Kingston Subdivision, formerly the Kingston and Pembroke Hail­
way. This 103-mile route was cut between Calabogie and Snow Road in 1959
has since receded southward to Tichbourne. The Tichbourne-Kingston
portion is still in daily operation. This line was once noted for its dim­
inutive day passenger trains of wooden cars and 0-4-g class 4-6-0 engines
which passed,-and made connection each day,at Sharbot Lake. The Egan­
ville line runs through the valley of the 80nnechere River,-a tributary
of the Ottawa. An excursion was operated last October by the Ottawa Bran­
ch of the Association over both of these lines,using a CP Rail DAYLINER.
It is reported that the Moncton Coin Club,Moncton,N.8.
which hosted the Atlantic Provinces Numismatics Association last October,
sponsored the striking of a new commemorative medallion. This was to mark
the one-hundredth anniversary of the opening of the Intercolonial Rail­
way from Moncton to Dorchester,N.B.,in Oecember,1868.The obverse of the
medallion shows a reproduction of the first locomotive to run over this
section of the I.C.R. ,together with the Seal of the City of Moncton, set
between the dates 1868 and 1968. The reverse depicts a stylized map of
the Atlantic Provinces,with Moncton as the hub. This commemorative pie­
ce was issued in antique bronze and antique silver. Prices range from $10
for the antique silver to $ 2.75 for the antique bronze. The obverse de­
sign was based on photographs of the old locomotive, taken from the col­
lection of Mr. Ted Mcquinn,-Association member of Riverview,N.B.
Winnipeg Hydros No. 3,the ex-CP Rail 4-4-0 which has
been the topic of considereble discussion in Winnipeg the lest summer, is
reported to be safely bedded down for the winter in the iron horse stable
at CNs Transcona Shops.Monday night,November 18,the Winnipeg City Coun­
cil passed a motion extending the present lease agreement with the Vin­
tage Locomotive Society,to operate No.3 and the coach-combine 103 for a
further five years. About November 1, No.3 took a trial run to Transcona
before being stabled for the winter. Mr. Gordon Younger, Association rep­
resentetive in Winnipeg, and officer of the Vintage Locomotive Society adds
that plans are to run No.3 and combine to Charleswood next summer,-the
operation being handled by CN train crews. It is hoped that this early
planning will result in the operation of the Claydon Cannonball, other­
wise known as the Centenniel (Manitoba) Train.
CNs Montreal commuter service from Central Station to
Montreal Nord on the Joliette Subdivision of the Montreal Area came to an
end on November 8,1968,with the final trip of a three-car train of mul­
tiple-unit cars on Trains 944 and 945.
Whether by accident or by design,a full-page advertise­
ment in the Winnipeg FREE PRESS of November 8,1968,announced that the T.
Eaton Company would sponsor a SANTATRAIN on Sunday, November 24,1968,which
would leave at 12.30 p.m. for SANTATUWN,returning to Winnipeg at 3 p.m.
On the SANTATRAIN would be CLOWNS to joke and laugh,Magician Ray Starr to
you sing,SOUVENIR
TIVES to supervise. Two trains would be operated,if necBssary. The coin­
cidence was,in a nutshell,that the SANTATRAIN was to run to Grosse Isle,
over precisely the same route previously planned for operation of the
Prairie Dog Central (Hydro No.3 & combine 103). Over 1,200 tickets were
sold during the first half-hour of sale. The advertisement said then
TOUT-TUOT,youre away! Too bnd the kids are going to be disappointed at
the sight of a plain,old diesel! But then,probably they wont mind too
much,since they are bringing SANTA CLAUSE from SANTATOWN on the SANTATRAINI
PHoro BELOW: ioronto Transportation Commission Bus Noo 1, recently
purchased with other urban transport vehicles, is off-loaded at
the Museum of Science and Technology, National Museums of Canada,
• l. • l.
• lo
• l. • l.
• %.
• l. • l. • l. • l. • l.
• t.
• l. • l. • l. • l.
• %.
• l. •
• l.
• l. •
• l. •
• l. • l. •
• l.
• l. • l.
. :.
. :.

Photo by W.R.Linley, Ottawa, Onto
.l •
.t •
.l •
.t •
.l •
.l •
.l •
.t •
.l •
.l •
.l •
.l •
.% •
.l •
.l •
.t •
.l •
.l •
.l •
.t •
.l •
.t •
.l •
.l •
.l •
.: .
.l • .l • .l •
.l •
.% •
.t •

Eleph,nt? What white eleph,nt?
published Inonthly exoept July & August oOInbined )
by the
CANADI1i.N RAILROAD msroruCAl ASSOCI1i.TION ~~::!1~24u:~·O. 5
Assooiate MeInbership inoluding 11 issues of
Canadian Rail 8.00 annually.
DISTRIBUTION J. A. Beatty & F.F.Angus
lir. J .A.Beatty. 4962 Queen Mary Road. Nontreal 29. Quebec, Canada,
OTTAWA Ma-J. S.H.Elllot, Sect·y. t P.O.Box 352, Term1nal A ottawa Onto
ROCKY MOUNTAIN Mr .. Donald W. Scafe 12407 Lansdowne Or! ve, Apt. 101, Edmonton Alta.
K.F.Chlvers, Apt. J. 67 Somerset St. W., ottawa, ontario.
J .S .. Nlcholson, 2J06 Arnold St •. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Peter Cox, 29)6 West 28th. Ave Vancouver, British Columbia ..
W.D.McKeown, 6-7. 4-chome. Yam£lte-cho,Sulta City. Osaka, Japan ..
J .H.Sanders, 67 Willow Way. Ampthill, Deds., England.
K.G.Younger, 267 Vernon !toad, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Nro Donald W.Scafe, 12407 Lansdowne Drive, Apt. 101, Edmonton Alta.
Copyright 1968 printed in Canada
on canadian paper

Demande en ligne