THE ROUSES POINT
S. S. Worthen
Travel westward from Montreal by railway, was
not a reality before 1857, when the Grand Trunk Railway Com
pany of Canada opened its broad gauge-line from Montreal to
Toronto. Rather, it was possible, but by a somewhat round
about route and a further journey by steamer was required to
reach the growing towns along the St. Lawrence River west of
Montreal. For a period of about 6 years, from 1851 to 1857,
the favourite route of the summer traveller, (and presumably
the winter one, if there was one), was via the Champlain and
St. Lawrence Railroad to St. Johns, Quebec, the Montreal &
Province Line Junction Railway, (which had been chartered in
1848 and whose rights had been purchased in 1850 by the
Champlain & St. Lawrence) to Rouses Point, in the State of
New York. Here, the traveller took the cars on the Northern
Railroad of New York (later the Ogdensburgh & Lake Champlain
Railroad (westward to the banks of the St. Lawrence at Og
densburgh, where frequent steamboat service to the upper St.
Lawrence and Lake Ontario was available.
By 1865, the Grand Trunk had the traffic from
the riverside towns in its pocket but the southeastern
traveller from Ontario still found the Ogdensburgh route at
tractive if his journey trended towards New England. The
HUNTINGDON JOURNAL of 1 September 1865 carried the following
Running time twelve minutes faster than local time.
THREE TRAINS DAILY (Sundays excepted).
First Train, Boston and New York Express:
Leave Ogdensburgh at 5.30 A.M.·(breakfast at Ma
lone) arriving a t Boston 10.00 P.M. and New York
next morning. No change of cars by this train
between Ogdensburgh and Boston.
Second Train, Through Mail:
Leave Ogdensburgh at 11.30 A.M. (dine at Malone)
arriving at Boston at 8 oclock the following
morning and New York, 2 P.M. the next day.
OppOSi te BONAVENTURE STATION-Montreal as it used to be in
1948. The 5:15 pm local The Mocass1n, engine 5283, is leaving
for Cornwall,Ontar10. Photo from the E.A.Toohey Collection.
CANADIAN 116 R A I L
Splendid sleeping cars run with this train be
tween Rouses Point and Boston. This train con
nects with M & C R.R. at Rouses Point, arriving
in Montreal at 9.00 P.M.
Train leaves Ogdensburgh at 6.45 P.M.
arriving at Rouses Point at 4.45 A.M., connect
ing with V.C. R.R. for Boston and New York also
with cars for Montreal.
Trains leave Rouses Point at 7.05 A.M., 7.05 P.M.,
and 9.00 P.M. connectir,g with all trains on the
Grand Trunk and Ottawa and Prescott Railroads,
and with Lake Ontario steamers.
Trains pass Malone and Chateauguay as follows:
Pass Malone go~ng East at 8.00 A.M., 2.45 P.M.,
and 12 Night.
Going West at 10.A.M. 9.30 P.M. and 1.40 Night.
Pass Chateauguay going East at 8.46 A.M., 6.30,
P.M. and 1 at Night. Going West 9.15 A.M., 8.50
P.M. and 1 Night.
The following steamship lines were listed in the same edition
of the HUNTINGDON JOURNAL.
Richelieu Company -Daily Royal Mail Line.
Steamer MONlREAL -Montreal to Quebec, Mon.,
Wed. Fri. – 6 P.M. For
Sorel, Three Rivers, and
Steamer EUROPA -Montreal to Quebec, Tues.
Thurs. Sat. – 6 P.M. For
Sorel, Three-Rivers and
Steamer COLUMBIA -Montreal to Three Rivers -TUes.
Fri. – 2 P.M. For
Sorel, Maskinonge, Rivi
ere du Loup, Yamachicbe and
Port St. Francois.
Steamer NAPOLEON -Montreal to Sorel-Tues. Fri.
Montreal to Sorel -Tues.
Fr 1. -3 P.M. For
St. Sulpice, Lanoraie,
Berthier, Petit Nord, Grand Nord.
Before it was demolished, Canadian National Railways station at
St-Henri,Montreal,marked the point where the Grand Trunk broad
gauge track met the standard-gauge Montreal & Lachine. The Grand
Trunks connection to Bonaventure Station was at the rear of the
building. Photo C.R.H.A.(E.A.Toohey Collection)
Steamer CHAI1BLY -Montreal to Chambly, Tuesday,
Fri. -3 P.I1. For
Sorel, St. Ours, St. Denis,
St. Antoine, St. Charles, St.
Marc, Beloeil, St. Hilaire &
Steamer TERREBONNE Hontreal to LAssomption-Hon.
Tues. Frio Sat. -3P.N.
For Boucherville, Varennes &
St. P au 1 l Erm ite •
Steamer LIET01LE -Montreal to Terrebonne-Monday
Tues. Fri. Sat. -3 P.M. For Bout
de ll1le & Lachenaie
Day Line -Between Nontreal, Chateauguay & Beau
Steamer LOTB1N1ERE Montreal, Lachine & Beauhar
noise The Steamer Lotbiniere
Capt. S. Filgate will leave
Canal Basin, Montreal, every
PHOTO ABOVE: Mooers , New York -about t.;o miles south of the
internat10nal boundary, at the former junction of the l1ne from
Plattsburg to Montreal, v1a Hemrn1ngford and Caughnawaga. On
Apr1l 1, 1951, Rutland # 8 w1th eng1ne No. 78 stood under the
order-board, waiting for a meet with a westbound fre1ght.
PHOTO BEI~WI The same train, Rutland No 8, with the same eng1ne
photographed on Apr1l 29. 1951.
PHOTO PAGE 121: Th1s photo shows the same train as pictured below
leav1ng Mooers N.Y. on its eastward run to Rouses Po1nt. Alburgh.
Bur11ngton, and Rutland vt. Note the classic combine on the rear.
All photos from the E.A.Toohey collection.
R A I L
day at one oclock P.M. (Sun
days excepted) and Lachine on
arrival of five oclock, P.M.
Train from j-[ontreal, calling
Returning -leave Beauharnois
every Honday morning at six
oclock, (Sundays excepted),
calling at Chateauguay and
arriving at Lachine for the 8
The M & C R.R. referred to in the Ogdensburgh
Railroad schedule for the Second Train Through Hail is the
Montreal and Champlain Railro?d, the successor to the Cham
plain and St. Lawrence Railroad. The first rival of Canadas
first railway was the Montreal and Lachine Railroad, which,
had amalgamated with the Lake St. Louis and Province Line
Railroad, (Caughnawaga to the International Boundary near
Mooers, New York), on 1 January, 1852. Fierce competition
and a bad business climate, forced the amalgamation of the
two rivals under t he name Montreal and Champlain Railroad
Company in 1862. The Parliamentary Act Authorizing the
amalgamation received Royal Assent on 9 June, 1862, but un
fortunately no customers were found for the preferred stock.
At this point, and ith the newborn Montreal & Champlain on
the verge of bankruptcy, the directors of the Grand Trunk,
decided that this was an opportune time for action and on 25
September, 1863, leased the whole operation for 21 years.
Several results of this lease became immedi
a. A connecting curve was laid from the G.T.R. main line
at St. Henri Junction, JvIontreal, to the Nontreal &
Champlains approach tracks to Bonaventure Station.
An additional rail was laid to accommodate the broad
gauge equipment of the G.T.R. on the tracks of the
standard-gauge Hontreal & Lachine.
b. Since the opportunity existed for a connection be
tween the Grand Trunk and the Hontreal and Champlain
at St. Lambert, the G.T.R. soon abolished the under
pass of the M. & C. and by means of a large balloon,
reverse curve, connected the M. & C. to the GTR main
line. The installation of a third or narrow gauge
rail permitted M. & C. trains to pass over the Vic
toria Bridge to St. Henri Junction, and thence to
c. There was no immediate change in the name of the
Montreal and Champlain Railroad, although it was
firmly leased to the Grand Trunk. Moreover, the pri
mary reason for leasing the M. & C. was to obtain ac
cess (over the Old Montreal and Lachine) to Bonaven
ture Station, their own station at Pointe St. Charles
now being quite inadequate and remote for their Mont
real operation. In view of this fact, it is not sur
prising that the GTR made no dramatic effort to work
R A I L
the M. & C. profitably for the shareholders. This re
luctance persisted to 1873-1874, when the GTR stand
ard gauged its lines. To add insult to injury, in
1873, when gauge-standardization was immin~nt, all
service on the Caughnawaga Division of the M. & C. was
arbitrarily discontinued, and the line from Caughnawaga
to Mooers Junction was used for the stor
age of new standard gauge GTR locomotives and cars.
In his history of the Champlain and St. Law
rence Railroad, the late Robert R. BrOlm reported that the
people of the district, naturally annoyed by the total sus
pension of train service on what had once been a very busy
line retaliated by removing and hiding all the brake wheels
and coupling pins of the rolling stock stored there.
The Caughnawaga Division of the 11. & C. and
its natural extension, the Plattsburg and Montreal had been
variously wooed by the Vermont Central and the Rutland and
Burlington. After the Richelieu River had been bridged, the
Vermont Central could afford to be casual with the Platts
burg & Montreal and the H. & C. For a time, some frelght
made its way from the Rutland and Burlington to the Platts
burg & Hontreal and the Ogdensburg line via Mooers Junc
tion. Inevitably, this trickle of traffic stopped when the
Vermont Central leased the Rutland & Burlington. For a time
it seemed as though the all-powerful Smiths of St. Albans,
Vermont, had triumphed~
PHOTO BELOW: Rouses Point Junction -grade crossing between the
D & H, and the Rutland in 1947. In the 1870s this was the junct
ion where trains from Plattsburg connected with the Montreal and
Champlain for st. Johns and Montreal. Photo from E.A.Toohey col.
Within four years after the Vermont Central
had leased the Rutland and Burlington, on 30 December, 1870
the lessor was unable to pay the rent, $281.660.63, being
due. In 187~, both the Rutland and the Ogdensburgh lines
proposed the termination of their leases to the V. C. RR.
and the consolidation of the two roads into one. However,
the Rutland succumbed to the charms of a modified lease in
February, 1875, and this was ratified and actually lasted
until 1896, when the Rutland took back its property. The Ogdensburgh
line, meanwhile, had returned to its President,
on 1 April, 1877. The all-powerful Vermont Central went re
soundingly bankrupt in 1873, and was rapidly reorganized as
the Central Vermont Railroad in the same year. Unable to
form a connection with any alternate north-south or east
west system the poor Ogdensburgh helplessly accepted ano
ther C. V. RR. lease in 1886, which arrangement lasted ten
years until the second resounding bankruptcy of the Central
Humpty-Dum~tys pieces were stuck back toge
ther with another Central Vermont reorganization, whereupon
the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada emerged as the
majority stockholder. For the GTR, this was the final step
in the elimination of competition for freight traffic from
Portland and Boston to the Great Lakes. The Delaware &
Hudson Canal & Railroad Company managed, by some magical
means, to make a through line from Albany New York, to
Rouses Point, late in 1875. Even so the CV-6TR stranglehold
on traffic through the Rouses Point -St. Johns gateway en
dured until 9 April 1907, when the D. & H. bought the Na
pierville Junction Railway from Rouses Point to St.Constant
(on the CPR) for $615,680.56. From then on the D. & H. was a
shoo-in to Montreal, via the C.P.R. By that time how
ever, the Grand Trunk was busy expanding elsewhere, and the
C.V. had been exiled to the role of a New England bridge-·
line, … hose sole mission was to feed business to the insa
tiable appetite of its master~
COVER ON A CLEAR. CRISP DAY IN 1953. Canadian National
Railways afternoon train from Sherbrooke to Montreal Que., clattered
~cross the twin span bridge over the Magog River. Pacific No. 5300 headed
the parade. Photo courtesy J.J.Shaughnessy.
R A I L
WHERE TO FIND EM IN 1968 0 0 0 0 • continued from last month.
Town of Transcona
Canadian National Railways
(Held for Mus. of Science)
City of Winnipeg
City of Winnipeg
o St. Boniface Greater Winnipeg Water
o Saskatoon Canadian National Railways
for Western Development Museum
Ci ty of Regina
#2747 2-8-0 CNoR
ex CNR #2747
ex CNR #5114 1919
116043 4-8-2 CLC
ex CNR #6043 1929
COUNTESS OF DUFFERIN
#1 4-4-0 BLW 1872
ex N.P. RR. #56
ex Whitehead #1-1877
ex CPR #151
ex Columbia Riv.
#3 4-4-0 Dubs.
ex GVIWD #3 -1918
ex CPR #86, 63, 133
#1158 4-6-0 MLW
ex CNR #1158
ex CNoR #1158
ex CNR #5093
ex CGR #471 1918
THE ROYAL TOUR OF 1901 I Our
reader,Mr. Neil McCarten,of Toronto,has been kind enought to
send us this picture of the Royal Train of 1901 in the upper re
gions of Kicking Horse Pass,in the Canadien Rockies. A close in
spection of the pilot of the leading locomotive will reveal the
Duke & Duchess of York, bundled in their buffalo robes I
* Prince Albert City of Prince Albert
* Moose Jaw
~ Lethbr idge
City of Hoose Jaw
I-P Steel & Pipe Corp.
Manitoba & Saskatchewan Coal
l~nitoba & Saskatchewan Coal
Interprovincial Steel Pipe Co.
for IPSCO Park
City of Edmonton
Canadian National Railways
Alberta Pioneer Museum
(20 miles west of Edmonton)
Transit System Cromdale
Canadian Railroad Historical
City of Lethbridge
R A I L
#5080 4-6-2 MLW
ex CGR #453
ex CPR #2634
sold to M&SCC10-56
#6947 0-8-0 MLW
CPR 116947, 3537,
Rebuilt from 2-8-0
#6l66 0-6-0 CPR
CPR #6166, 2166 ex
M&SCC -1965 so
ld by CPR 1949
ex CNoR #1392
#6060 4-8-2 I1LW
#51 2-10-0 CLC
Nor Alb. Rys.
ex A&GW #51
#73 2-8-0 C LC
Nor Alb Rys.
ex ED&BC Ry. #73
#3651 2-8-0 NLW
CPR #3651, 1851
PHOTO ABOVE, Canadian Pacific Railways class K-1-A No 3100. now
at the Museum of Science and Technonogy. Ottawa. as she looked
at Angus Shops. Montreal. in October 1928. Smoke deflectors and
running board numbers appeared later. Photo by J.L.J.Mercier.
City of Calgary
Western Dominion Colleries
City of Kamloops
City of Vancouver
Ki tsilano Park
ex CPR #5931 (renumb. from
CPR #6144, 2144 ex Cranmore Mines
Resold ex WDC 1963-
#2141 2-8-0 CLC
CNR #2141 ex
CPR #158, 245,
Preserved as CPR
* Port Coquitlam City of Port Coquitlam
* Prince George (Owner not known)
Canadian National Railways
City of Vancouver
Hastings Park (1926)
(owner unknown) Near
W.P.& Y. RR.
City of Whitehorse
Chamber of Commerce
R A I L
#2860 4-6-4 HLW
#3716 2-8-0 MLW
#1 0-4-0T (unknown)
ed and letterP.d as
#2 EHORY 0-4-4T
ex DO Hills & Co. 1881
ex Hastings Saw
Marschuetts & Can
trell in 1879;
BLW 1878 ex Taku
#51 2-6-0 Brooks 1881 ex w.p.&Y.
ex WP&Y. #1 -1900 ex
The forthcoming issue of Canadian Rail will in our ooinion
acheive a great milestone in the history of the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association, as it will be our 200 tho issue. To mark
this occasion, we have a little added treat in store for you with
which we hope that you will he pleased. Peatures will include :
1) The Champlain & St. Lawrence Ry. By S. Worthen
2) Two Hundred Issues of Canadian Rail, By F. Angus
3) Many other interesting items & photos.
NOT lHIRTY DAYS AFlER EXPO-67 had bade its last
visi torgood bye, Montreal I s Mayor Jean Drapeau had begun
planning the continuation of the ex
hibition in 1968 and subsequent years. The
first step in perpetuating the exhibition as
MAN AND HIS WORLD was to acquire as many of the
pavi110ns as possible. The second part of the
plan was to organize exhibits for these nowempty
Late in November 1967, the Association was con
tacted by telephone, by the Public Relations Department of one
of the larger railway companies, to inquire if the Association
was interested in bringing some of its exhibits from the Cana
dian Railway Museum to the island site of MAN AND HIS WORLD -(1968
et seq.). No information was available as to defrayment
of expenses or maintenance of the exhibit, once established.
The method of bringing the exhibits, (some of them weighing up
to 100 tons)l to the exhibition location was not considered
critical. It vTaS not stated as to whether the Association
would receive any remuneration for the exhibit, in the form of
Considering the nebulousity of this inquiry the
Associations Board of Directors respectfully declined the of
fer and instructed the President to say that we would be happy
to consider the suggestion again when additional information
became available. No further contact was made by either the
City of Montreal, Mayor Drapeau, or the representative of the
Public Relations Department of the Railway.
Subsequently it was learned that His Honour the
Mayor had approached officers of Canadas two major railways
wi th the request that they lend their support to the creation
of a railway museum for MAN AND HIS ~yORLD (1968 et seq.) .These
officers declined the invitation. So, in his search for some
one or some company t·o assist in the creation of a railway mu
seum for the exhibition, Mayor Drapeau turned to private indi
It was brought to the Mayors attention that
Mr. O. S. Lavallee, former officer and member of the Canadian
Railroad Historical Association, had been of considerable as
sistance to the Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa,
and the Centennial Museum of Science and Industry, in Toronto.
AccordinglYl in December, preliminary discussions were held at
MontrealTs city Hall and by January 1968 a group of interested
railway enthusiasts had been gathered. Discussions continued.
Near the beginning of March, Mayor Drapeau announced that the
display would be called FERROVIA, and would occupy the former
State of Maine Pavilion. This offered about 1,000 sq. ft. f-or
CANADIAN 129 R A I L
exhibition purposes. The scale model State of Maine Freight
which operated spasmodically during Expo 67, would not be en
but the locomotive would. In a radio inter
view with Radio ~OO CJAOs Sidney Margolies, in mid-March, His
Honour described the project in glowing terms, but skirted all
questions relating to details with his usual virtuosity.Indeed
FERROVIA at MAN AND HIS WORLD, (1968 et seq.) remains as mys
terious as UACs TURBO-TWO~
There are, nevertheless, a few basic problems
which must be resolved. Among these are:.
1. The State of Maine Pavilion, like many other
buildings on the site, is not a permanent
building. It may be heated and air-cooled,
but the walls and roof were not designed or
constructed to be permanent. How long then
can the building be expected to last or more
to the point -how long will it be before
major repairs are required?
2. Montreal municipal administration will have
to provide the risk capital to enable
construction of eXhibits. Recovery of this
investment is supposed to come from admis
sions at $2.50 per person, with estimated
weekly attendance figures based on some ex
trapolation of EXPO 67 figures. If MAN AND
HIS WORLD, (1968 et seq.) does not achieve
these attendance figures, who will pay the
3. MAN AND HIS WORLD, (1968 et seq.) is sche
duled to open on May 17, this year. That
leaves just about two months, (from the time
of writing), to organize and construct pavi
lion exhibits, including that for FERROVIA.
Up to now, no budgets have been established,
and aside from small token expense appropri
ations no money has been made available.What
sort of exhibit for any pavilion, (FERROVIA
included) can be put together in two months
Certainly, the creation of a railway museum for
MAN AND HIS WORLD (1968 et seq.) is a magnificent challenge.
Even if all of the money and materials required were at hand,
it would be almost superhuman to create it in time for Opening
Day~ But to accomplish this plan, in the light of the condi
tions described, in view of the imprecise information (or more
correctly, lack of precise information), from Montreals City
Hall, it must be concluded that the fate of FERROVIA, if it is
built will depend entirely on the et seq. portion of MAN AND
HIS WORLD (1968 et seq.).
PHOTOS OPPOSITE I The Maine Pavilion, and the model B & A train, as
photographed during EXpo 67. Photos courtesy of the Maine Dept.
of Economic Development.
EY F.A. KEMP
RECENT SURVEY OF TRANSIT FARES IN
various cities in the United
States indicates that we Cana
dians should count our blessings~
Indianapolis, Indiana, raised its fares from 25 cents to 30 cents
and retained the 5 cent transfer premium. Rochester, New York,
Transit Corporation sold its business to the City when union wage
demands could not be met. Omaha Transit Company increased fares
in that city from 25 to 30 cents. Grand Rapids, Michigan City
Coach Lines hiked the tab from 30 to 35 cents (ouch~). The champ
ionship for high transit cost was won by the Rubber City itself –
Akron, Ohio. If you havent got alternative transport, you pay 40
cents a trip or 5 tokens for $1.75. This is the highest tariff
in North America -north of the Rio Grande, that is~ We are in
debted to John Eicker of Baltimore, Hd.for conducting this survey.
SEABORD COAST LINES eliminated trains #49 and #42
from Rocky Mount, N.C. to Wilmington, N.C. on 1 March, this year.
Deprived of passenger service were towns like Calypso, Magnolia,
Teachey and Burgaw. What was more regrettable was Louisville and
Nashvilles discontinuance of trains Nos. 1 & 2, Nashville, Tenn.
to Atlanta, Ga., effective 14 March 1968, which removed passenger
service from the immortal route of the Generaland Major Andrews
and his daring men way back in the year of grace, 1862. The only
train robbing that goes on there these days is when the author
ities of the City of Chattanooga try to get the General back to
its proper resting place in their railway station!
FRED INGLIS, OF THE OTTAWA CITIZEN sends a note
that a recent visitor to the National Museum of Science and Tech
nology was Mr. Harry Pellow, C.P.R. assistant foreman
Bay, Ontario. Mr. Pellows particular interest was Ganadian Pa
cifics 3100, which is being restored at the Museum. His contri
bution was to supervise the replacement of the side-rods, which
had been removed when the engine was moved to the Museum. You can
bet Mr. Pellow is a devoted steam locomotive enthusiast —even
after six years at CPs Angus Shops and a total of 44 years with
LIKE MOST OTHER EXPERIMENTAL VEHICLES United Air
craft Companys TURBO-TRAIN has had its share of trials and tri
bulations! TURBO -TWO, which has done more actual running on
Canadian National Railways lines, than its twin, TURBO-ONE, has
therefore been more frequently observed by interested persons.
CANADIAN 131 R A I L
The day after TURBO-TWO came out of Montreal Lo
comotive Works, a trial trip was planned. During the following
week, the monster made a test run from Montreal to Joliette,
Que. If the test was judged by the criterion of continuous un
eventful running, then it was a failure. But it did provide a
splendid opportunity for the amateur photographers.
On a sunny morning in March, 1968, TURBO-TWO de
parted from Montreal, Central Station, Track 6, for Toronto. It
was duly observed by the local railway enthusiasts and was later
duly recorded as arriving, according to plan, in the Queen City.
After a multitude of inspections and some manoeuvres, TURBO-TWO
whined out o·f town, headed back east to Montreal.
Meanwhile, the Montreal devotees had all wangled
the afternoon off and had stationed themselves at vantage points
west of Montreal -on the Lakeshore -in anticipation of viewing
and photographing the new train. The afternoon wore on the light
began to fade and they waited -and waited -and waited~
Eastbound, on TURBO-TWO, the UAC crew decided to
conduct a controlled experiment near Brighton, Onto To evaluate
the trains performance, it was planned to bring TURBO-TWO into
a medium curve at about 100-125 miles per hour. This experiment
was put into action, and as the tubular speedster entered the
curve, there was a sound of binding metal. The train was quickly
brought to a stop. There was no derailment or serious damage to
the superstructure or power plant but it was determined that the
metal struts supporting and stabilizing the wheels of one of the
cars had failed. Some time later, TURBO-TWO limped into Belle
ville, at a walking pace, where the struts were repaired so that
the train could return to base at Montreal.
Both TURBO-ONE and TURBO-TIJO are experimental ve
hicles and as such, other episodes such as this one may be anti
cipated. It is becoming increasingly obvious that it is impos
sible to translate aircraft technology holus-bolus to the design
of surface transport vehicles. Since the decision to develop a
ground transportation vehicle was taken long ago, the subsequent
design difficulties must be a source of great chagrin to both
the United Aircraft Company and Canadian National Railways, par
ticularly in view of the fact that the latters announcement of
and advertising for TURBO-TRAIN is well into its second year~ CN
deserves our commiseraU.on and understanding.
TORONTOS 1.T.C. ENGAGED a consultant last March
to undertake a one-year study of the utilization of two-way
radios on 90 of its busses. The expert was to report and ad
vise on the choice of frequencies in the VHF or UHF bands, the
type of equipment most sui table for T.T.C. requirements and the
location of transmission towers. The consultant was also to
prepare specifications leading to the calling of tenders for
the test. It was proposed to rent the necessary radio equipment
for 1 year, .lith an option to purchase, if satisfactory.
PASSENGERS ARENT THE ONLY THINGS that are being
kicked off trains these days! On March 25, 1968, KANSAS CITY
SOUTHERN-LOUISIANA & ARKANSAS Railway Lines announced that all
PHOTO ABOVEI Turob Train power unit P200, taken by Murray W.Dean.
head-end cars would be discontinued on their lines as of 1
ApriL Therefore, any remains or baggage must reach its des
tination prior to March 31, 1968. Simultaneously, SOUTHERN
RAIUfAY SYSTEM announced the last departures of Trains 45 and
46 between Memphis and Chattanooga, Tenn. Deprived of service,
via the SOUTHERN, were Huntsville, Ala., Scottsboro, Ala.,
Corinth, Miss., and Grand Junction, Tenn., amongst others.
AFIER THE RETIREHENT of the two private cars be
longing to the Government of Canada, in 1967, two new vehicles
were introduced for the use of the Queens Representative,
Governor-General, Roland Hichener. Built by the Department of
Transport and Canadian National Railways, the cars were painted
in traditionally conservative blue and gray, and were the first
cars made in Canada , … hich have independent power plants. Heat
ing, air-conditioning and other accessory equipment is powered
by a diesel motor-generator set, in order to enable the cars to
be stationed anywhere along Canadas many railway lines, with
out the necessity of providing electricity. Known simply as
Car No.1 and Car No.2, the new cars are decorated in soft
shades of olive green. One car has a dravring room, dining room,
kitchen, pantry and dining and sleeping areas for two stewards
a chef, a porter and a pantry-man. The other car has bedrooms
for the Governor General and Mrs.Michener and accomodation for
some of their personal staff. In the dining room, a huge map of
Canada is concealed in the ceilin~ and may be pulled down when
reference to it is necessary, during the meetings which may be
held in this room. Private conversations are usually held in
the Governor-Generals study which opens onto the rear platform
of the car.
YAn YAn EXPO EXPRESS TO HAN AND HIS vi OR LD ~
These glad tidings were announced, in Hontreal, in March by Mr.
Robert Winters, Federal Government minister, in charge of wind
ing up the affairs of EXPO-67. The deadline date for tenders on
the whole bundle of the EXPO EXPRESS has been advanced to Sept
ember 4, 1968. New York City Transit Authority continues to
nibble, planning to use the transport package on Staten Island.
• 1 •
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Deliveries: up to 29 February 1968.
Six more GR-)Ods and eight more MR-)Obs have been reoeived
as shown. The GMD units are all assigned to the Great Lakes Region
exoept 50)4 whioh, like its predeoessors, is on the Mountain Reg
ion. All the MLW looomotives are on the Saint Lawrenoe Region.
50)4 ••••• 01
50)5 ••••• 01
50)6 ….. 07
50)7 ••••• 07
50)8 ••••• 09
50)9 ••••• 10 2012
to 29 February 1968.
201) ••••• 09 February
2014 ••••• 10 February
2015 ••••• 15 February
2016 ••••• 19 February
2017 ••••• 21 February
2018 ••••• 24 February
2019 ••••• 27 February
1968 1968 1968 1968 1968 1968 1968
Looomotives )2)8 and )212 were Just starting to take s~dlng
at Pefferlaw, Ontario, with Train )10 at 06:00 hours when Train 451
with units )874 and )869 oame barrelling into them. No. )2)8 was
sideswiped and overturned; )212 Jack-knifed, its fuel oaught fire,
and the unit burned merrily for two hours; #)874 was badly buokled
while )869 reoorded no partioular damage.
CN 90)2 and 904), retired on 17 Ootober 1967 (CR #194) had
been involved in an acoident on the Tekwa Subdivision on 08 May
Looomotive Transfers: up to 29 February 1968.
)851 to )85)
)861 to 3868
42)6 to 4244
St. Lawrenoe Rgn.
St. Lawrenoe Rgn.
St. Lawrenoe Rgn.
St. Lawrenoe Rgn.
St. Lawrenoe Rgn. Mountain Rgn.
Great Lakes Rgn.
Prairie Rgn. Grand Trunk
Grand Trunk Western
R A I L
ROC #9194 has been experimentally equipped with Rolls-Royce
primemovers for many years. Although the car had superior pulling
power, the transmission was troublesome, and for some reason known
only to the peculiarities of the transmission itself, it could
never be perfected. For this reason, coupled with the austerity
program which the Railway, like everyone else, has been forced to
adopt, the experiment has now been abandoned and the unit converted
back to a standard RDC. The unit was Jinxed in more ways than one.
Being experimental, it was always leading, and, therefore, partic
ularly vulnerable to accidents – a rough est1&ate gives the figure
of eighteen persons killed by this one car du~1ng its experimental
The serials for GO
are listed below.
listed are not motive power, everything
sake of completeness.
4700 67850215 4717 67850237 4701 67850218
4718 67850238 4702 67850219
67850249 4703 67850220
4720 678502 1
67850221 4721 67850242 4705 67850222 4722
67850243 4706 67850224
67850245 4707 6785022 472 67850246 4708 67850225 4725 67850247 4709 67850226
4726 67850249 4710 67850228 4727 67850250 4711 67850229 4728 67850251 4712 67850230
54 4714 67850231 4730 6785025 471 67850234 4731 67850255 4715 6785023 C750 67850216 4716 67850235
Although all of the items
has been tabled for the
C753 67850236 C754 67850240 C755 67850244 C756 67850248 C757 67850252
GMD built one SW900 for Stelco and delivered it in October
1967. It carries serial A-2210 and road number 93. GMD also built
R A I L
one SW900RS for The British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority. It
was delivered on 01/07/67 and carries road number 910 along with
serial A-2245. Serials A-2211 to A-2244 were assigned to 34
AlA-AlA G12s built for the New Zealand Government. They carry
road numbers 1512 to 1545 and were outshopped between 12/05/67 and
1) C.R. #196 claims that CN stored units 5018 to 5021 until 01
January 1967. Even CN couldnt take something out of storage 12
months before it was built. We regret this typographical error
on our part. The date should be, of course, 01/01/68.
2) Also in C.R. #196, serials for CN 5008 to 5075 are g1ven as
A-2260 to A-2347. This should read A-2260 to A-2327.
3) Poor C.R. #196 didnt have a very good
footnote identified by 11£11, but 1t 113
locomotive the footnote has been written.
is CN 6538.
time. Page 43 has a
not obvious for wh1ch
The unit so honoured
4) Oh Grief! Heres another one. C.R. #191 states on Page 193
that Train 423 hit a rockslide on 06 February 1967. This should
read 03 February 1967.
Train #11, the Scotian, was spotted at St. Lambert on Christmas Eve
of Centennial year with locomotives 3717:3743:3676 and sixteen cars
by Geoffrey D. Southwood. The sight was so inspiring that he took
the photograph shown below.
J~nuary 28, 19
Drive the bus, call the stops, make change, sell tickets, keep on schedule . . . now this I
published Inonthly (exoept July & August oOInbined)
by the publioations OOInInittee
CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION ~~;~:,~2Qu:~lon B
Assooiate MeInbership inoluding II issues ot:
Canadian Rail 8.00 annually,
EDITOR S.VVorthen PRODUCTION P.Murphy
DISTRIBUTION J .. A.Beatty & F.F.Angus
DIRECTOR OF MEMBERSHIP AND BRANCHES
Mr. J.A.Beatty. 4982 Queen Mary Road. Montreal 29. Quebec, Canada.
OTTAWA Maj. S.R.Elllot, Secty •• P.O.Box )52, TermInal A ottawa Onto
ROCKY MOUNTAIN Mr. James R.Webb, Secty., 1470) -104 street. Edmonton.
OTTAWA VALLEY K.F.Chlvers, Apt. J. 67 Somerset st. w., Ottawa. OntarIo.
SASKATCHEWAN J .S.NIcholson, 2)06 Arnold st., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
PACIFIC COAST Peter Cox, 29)6 West 28th Ave., Vanoouver. BrItIsh ColumbIa
FAR EAST W.D.McKeown, Oaska (Tosaoorl) YMCA. 2-ohome, NIshl-ku.Osaka,Japan.
BRITISH ISLES J.H.Sanders. 67 Willow Way. Ampthill. Beds. England.
MANITOBA K,G,Younger 267 Vernon Road, Wlnn1peg, ~an1toba.
ALBERTA V.H.Coley, 11243 -72nd Ave •. Edmonton, Alberta
Copyright 1968 Pr1nted 1n Canada
on CanadIan paper