Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 193 1967

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 193 1967

COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED
The first Canadian Rail Contributors Competition closed
on September 15th, 1967. Many entries were received –several
of which have already appeared in Canadian Rail. Others will
be in future issues.
Awards to winners will be in the form of books from publishers
such as Kalmbach, Ian Allen, Howell-North and others.
Each winner will be notified by mail.
It was extremely difficult to rate winners, due to the varying
subject matter covered by each writer, and the varying quality
or quantity of information on each subject available. However,
the judges have done a yeoman job, and the results follow.
The highest awards go to those in Category A winners, with
particular merit for those preparing historical articles requiring
a fair amount of research. Category D covers primarily those
articles with limited information –photos and captions or
short 1-page items.
Category E is an Honourable Mention group, with thanks to
those who contributed helpful news items and clippings.
Category A
Richard M. Binns
–MTC 1900 Cars –MTC Wartime Cars
–The Grey Cars –Metro Vacuum Train
Tiv Wilkins
J. B. Thompson
Category B Narrow Gauge
(Away out East)
–The Royal Tour of 1901 *
C. W. Anderson –The st. Andrews & Quebec Railway
Dr. R. V. V. Nicholls –Rotary Ploughs
George Harris –Winnipeg Interurbans *
Fred Angus –Three Rivers Traction
Forster Kemp –Centennial Summer Schedules
Murray Dean and Bill Blevins –Canadian National FP 9As, FPAs Jim
Shaughnessy –Mystery in Maine *
J. I. Cooper –The Traction *
Category C
S. S. Worthen
Douglas Campbell
Category D
E. M. Johnson
Eric M. Smith
K. Gordon Younger
H. A. Lee
Category E
D. Davies
D. W. Hatley
D. S. Robinson
H. MacPherson
Peter Murphy Roger
Boisvert
R. I. Stronach
T. A. Downing
Carl Gay
Geoffrey Southwood
W. Linley
D. R. McQueen
J. J. Hilton
F. M. Kerr
Clayton F. Jones
S. H. Jones
Derek Boles
William Houston
W. F. McDermott
W. McKeown
W. Bedbrook
C.
Steeves
L. Keiller
D. E. stoltz
E. Modler
Many thanks also to everyone who sent in contributions. Please
keep them coming! News items, articles, photos ..• theyre of
interest. Send them to Editor, Canadian Rail, Box 22,
Station B, Montreal 2, Quebec.
* Not yet published

~.·WA· TIME CA,
. ~ )
R.M.Bln~
mises made by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad
to improve the facilities of its street railway -subsidiaries in
Springfield and WOrcester, Mass., culminated on March 22, 1927 with
the placing of orders for 100 cars costing $1,650,000. Contracts
for 50 cars for the Worcester Consolidated Street Railway were a­
warded to the Osgood-Bradley Car Company, and 50 for the Spring­
field Street Railway to the Wason Manufacturing Co. The cars were
one-man, double-end light weight units of modern design, with par­
ticular attention paid to passenger comfort and a pleasing appear­
ance inside and out. Both lots were identical except for trucks
and equipment, -the Woroester cars used Osgood-Bradley trucks with
GE motors and control, while the Springfield cars were on Brill
177-E-l-X trucks and had Westinghouse equipment. There were other
differences in body dimensions too slight to be notioed.
On September 16th 1927, the Mayor of Springfield, civic of­
ficials and community leaders were taken for a tour of Springfield
lines on two of the newly arrived cars. The cars were acclaimed
by all for their good riding qualities, comfort and smart appear­
ance, enhanced by a striking colour combination of black, light
yellow, cream and red. The Springfield cars were numbered 555 to
604 inclusive.
Who oould imagine during that colourful inaugural
not many years hence, most of these fine new cars
foreign oountry, contributing, albeit indirectly, to
efforts of a great world conflict? Yet such was to
oeremony, that
would be in a
the industrial
be the case.
Montreal Tramways Company was relatively well equipped with
rolling stock at the outbreak of World War II. Some 300 new
streetcars had been purchased between 1926 and 1930, and bus sub­
stitutions had been small, -principally the Bout de lIle line in
1936, In 1940 the Company had 927 passenger cars, It was ap­
parent, however, that the stepped-up wartime industrial activity
would result in much additional transit traffic, and despite the
pressing into service of obsolete surplus cars, it was thought wise
to obtain more electric cars in view of the expected restrictions
on the use of gasoline and tires,
CANADIAN
229
R A I L
In 1940 there were literally hundreds of surplus streetcars in
the United States, -victims of abandonments during the depression
years and massive bus substitutions. Most, however, were of an
obsolete type and in poor condition due to deferred maintenance~
G.T. Abel & Company of New York, a prominent dealer in second-hand
street railway equipment, supplied the M.T.C. with listings of cars
they had been commissioned to sell, either for re-use or scrap.
Among those were the Springfield cars, some Wilkes-Barre, Pa. cars,·
and others. Montreal Tramways Company officials inspected some of
the more likely prospects, and found that the Springfield cars were
the most suitable. They were of good quality construction .and had
been reasonably well maintained. Just before a final decision was made,
however, ten were purchased by Virginia Railway and Power Co.
for its lines in Norfolk, Va., where the great U.S. Naval Base was
stepping up activity. Naturally they picked out cars which were
in the best condition.
Montreals No. 2085 Was numbered 555, the first of the
series, when delivered to Springfield Street Railwaym
1927 by the Wason Manufaoturing Company.
Of
the remaining forty cars, one had been severely damaged, so
only the trucks and equipment were purchased. Thirty-nine cars
were therefore bought by M.T.C. and shipped to Youville Shops,
where they were overhauled and altered to conform, as nearly as
possible, to M.T.C. standards. The major work consisted of ohang­
ing to single-end operation, and because the end platforms were
rather small (5-4), one platform was lengthened to seven feet to
serve as the operating end. Controls were left at the other end
for back-up purposes. The reversible seats were bolted in the
forward position, and other minor changes made in fixtures and
equipment. This group was deSignated as the 2050 class (Nos.2050
to 2088 inclusive) and all went into service in February, 1941.
They were distributed in all diviSions except St.Paul and were used
in regular and extra service on most one-man car lines. Because
they had WH 510E (35 HP) motors, they were not permitted on the
Cote des Neiges or Westmount Blvd. lines.

CANADIAN 231 R A I L
A popular feature of theee cars was the leather upholstered
seats which, up till then, had not been seen in Montreal cars. The
body style was rather boxy compared with Montreal one-man cars,
and the interior somewhat darker due to the mahogany woodwork, brown
leather seats and brown battleship linoleum on the f100r, but they
were comfortable and easy riding, although rather noisy until heli­
cal gearing was installed later.
When converted for single-end operation, the eeneral dimensions
were: Body length 30 ft. -overall length 42 -4~ -extreme width
8-6 -height from rail to trolley board 10-11 5/8. Seating
capacity was 49 and the weight 35,650 lbs,
By 1942, with the United States in the war, second hand street
cars were becoming scarce: nevertheless a further effort was made
to find some suitable for Montreal, Between 1939 and 1942 the
number of revenue passengers had risen from 209 million to 319 mil­
lion and was climbing at an alarming rate, A Federal Transit
Controller had been appointed under the Department of Munitions and
Supply, with Regional Controllers empowered to establish staggered
working hours, allocate rolling stock and re-instate abandoned el­
ectric railway lines.
Through the Transit Equipment Company of New York, the Montreal
Tramways Company was able to obtain six one-man care from Schenec­
tady Railway, Before delivery, it was learned that six more were
available from Schenectady, but before the sale could be completed,
the United States Government placed a prohibition on the export of
transit vehicles of any kind, the only exception being a limited
allotment to Canada of P.C.C. car bodies produced by St, Louis Car
Company. However, before the deadline, the M.T.C. was able to ob­
tain, in addition to the six Schenectady cars, five one-man cars
from the Alabama Power Companys lines in Tuscaloosa, Alabama,
The Schenectady cars were from two groups of identical cars by
Brill, -the first lot of ten (Nos. 200-209) delivered in April,
1924, and the second lot of twelve (nos. 210-221) delivered in Dec­
ember 1925. The cars bought by M.T.C. were Numbers 200 and 208
from the first group, and Numbers 214, 215, 217 and 221 from the
second group, They were dOUble-end, but had 6 ft, platforms, so
they were easily converted for single-end operation without length­
ening,-the unused doors simply replaced by body panels and sash.
Trucks were Brill 77-E with GE 265 motors. These cars had wood
slat seats,
The Tuscaloosa cars were aleo from two groups, Three were an
elon~ated version of the Birney deSign, built by Brill in the early
1920 s, and two of a pleasing deSign, somewhat like M.T.C. 1900,
class, built by Southern Car Company, Highpoint, N,C. c.1926, All
five had WH 510E motors, -the Brill cars being on Brill 77-E
trucks and the Southern cars on Taylor trucks, All were double­
end and converted by Montreal Tramways to single-end. The Schen­
ectady and Tuscaloosa cars, while differing in many respects, were
all put into a single classification; the 2030 class, and numbered
consecutively 2030 to 2040,
The 2030 class cars were put into service in July and August
1942, and were stationed exclusively in Mt. Royal and Hochelaga
Divisions: consequently they were rarely if ever, seen west of
Plaoe d Arme s,
Upper photo: MTC 2039 -ex Tuscaloosa 202 -on Remembranoe Road
—an unusual assignment for one of these
oars.
Lower photo: Identity of MTC 2054 -ex Springfield 563 -was
hidden as the oar Passed through the paint shop
at Youville, April 1956.
opposite: Six windows to a side gave the 1175 olass of
wooden wartime cars a most unusual exterior ap­
pearance. No. 1176, shown as oonverted to a
Brine Car. Note older truoks used after Ob­
servation Cars took baok their truoks, used on
the 1175 class originally. (Compare with photo
below car-diagram.}
CANADIAN 233 R A I L
In 1943 with industrial activity at its height and increasing
demands being made on the system, the Montreal Tramways Company
felt that its Observation car service was unessential within the
framework of the war effort. Consequently an attempt was made to
adapt the Observation cars for regular service during rush hours.
No.3 was fitted with a canopy type roof and the side panels exten­
ded upward. In this fashion No.3 was operated for a time in the
summer of 1943 on the Cartierville Line as a war workers extra.
Obviously this was not suitable for winter months and the scheme
was dropped. Instead, four car bodies were built at Youville
Shops to be used with the trucks and equipment from the four Obser­
vation cars. These cars were numbered 1175 to 1178. Because of
the shortage of metal, the bodies ,.,ere constructed entirely of wood
with masonite side panels. Even the wiring was in wood box con­
duits. The cars were of a simple single-end two-man design with
manually controlled doors and intended for rush hour extra service
only. They were assigned to the St. Denis Division.
Although the 1175s were 43 – 2 3/8 overall and the body was
30 long, they were built with only six windows to a side, the in­
tervening spaces being filled with wood panels. While this gave
the cars a most unusual exterior appearance, the ~r1or was rather
attractive. For cars with longitudinal seating, this deSign was
quite satisfaotory. The seats were made up of surplus transverse
seats turned sideways.
Interior of one of the
3500 class P.C.C. oars
during construction.
CANADIAN 235 R A I L
About the time the 1175 class cars were built, the Company also
seriously considered building some simple wooden trailers to be
pulled by the 1325 class cars for wartime service, but nothing came
of this project.
While the P.C.C. cars (3500 class) were probably not thought of
as wartime oars, they were indeed just that. Allotments to Ca­
nada from the St. Louis Car Companys production line were limited.
At the end of 1943, the Canadian Federal Transit Controller was
assigned 100 cars, of whioh 25 were t~ be purchased by the Montreal
Tramways Company. The allotment to Canada was subsequently re­
duced, and as a result Montreal received only eighteen. The Com­
pany was prepared to take a further allotment in 1945, but as the
end of the war drew near, the need did not materialize.
So, in all, seventy-two additional streetcars were acquired for
the wartime traffic in Montreal, which finally reached almost 400
million revenue passengers per year. The oars were rather a
strange conglomeration of seoond-hand, homemade, and brand-new
units, but all played a part in the drama of wartime transportation
in Montreal.
LISTING OF CARS ACQ,UIRED BY MONTREAL
TR)J:ImAYS COMPANY FOR WARTIME SERVICE -1941 to 1944.
2050 olass -from Springfield Street Railway -1941 (39 oars)
M.T.C. No.
( 0)
( 0)
( b)
(a)
( b)
(a)
( 0)
( 0)
( c)
(a)
( b)
( 0)
2050
2051
2052
2053
2054 20
22
2056
2057
2058
2059
2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069
Converted
Converted
Converted
S.S.R. No.
5§9
5 2 570 603 563 579 575
5~3
5 4 602
577 591
5~2
5 9 560 598 601
590
565 596
for double-end
for double-end
for double-end
M.T.C. No. S.S.R. No.
2070
226 2071 576 2072 592 20
73 599 2074
578
2075
5~4
2076 5 6
207~
595
( c
~
207 594 ( c 2079 562 ( c) 2080 597
( 0) 2081 58
e ( c) 2082 58
2083 604 2084 600 2085 522 2086 569
208~
585 208 587
operation in 1948 -Other plat-
form lengthened.
operation in 1952 -Other plat-
form lengthened.
operation in 1953 -Other plat-
form NOT lengthened.
jEATINu CAPACIT1-.36.
WEIC,HT. -40.240
NUMBCR IN SE:QVlce; -4
I DATe;. -Nov. I~H.
I
I ..
CLASS -1175
.
IB·O
DOD
DOD
DOD DOD
I ~II I ,I ,
-~~——·–T:l
!
CANADIAN 237 R A I L
Notes: No.2066 damaged by fire and sorapped in 1955.
No.2077 wreoked by runaway ooncrete mixer and sold 1956.
No.2070 scrapped in 1957.
No.2056 sold to Conneotiout Eleo.Ry.Assn. in 1959.
No.2052 sold to Seashore Eleotrio Ry. in 1963.
All others scrapped in 1958.
2030 class -from Scheneotady Ry. and Alabama Power Co.
–1942 (II oars).
M. T. C. No. Sch.Ry. No. M. T. C. No. Tusoaloosa.
2030 20
31
2032 20
33
2034 20
35
200 215 208 214 217 221 20
36
20
37
2038 20
39
2040
402
220 204 202 200
Note: No.2038 scrapped in 1955. Others scrapped 1957-1958.
1175 olass -Built by M.T.C. Youville Shops -1943 (4 oars).
1175 -Converted to BRINE CAR in 1947 -Retired in 1958.
1176 -Converted to BRINE CAR in 1947 -To Seashore Elec­
trio Railway in 1963.
1177 -Converted to INSTRUCTION CAR in 1949 -To Seashore
Eleotric Ry. in 1963.
1178 -Converted to BRINE CAR in 1950 -Retired in 1958.
3500 class -P.C.C. type. Built by St.Louis Car Co. and
Canadian Car & Fdy.Co. -1944 (18 cars)
3500 to 3517 inclusive.
Note: No. 3517 was the last streetcar to operate in Montreal,
Aug. 30, 1959. To C.R.H.A. in 1963.
Others sold for scraP in 1963.
Mr. Riohard M. Binns, the author of the foregoing
article on the Montreal Tramways Wartime Cars, and a
frequent contributor to Canadian Rail and other
C.R.H.A. publioations, has recentJy ~etired from the
Montreal Transportation Commission and has moved to
the West Coast. The Publioations Committee wish
to express our appreoiation to Mr. Binns for all
his willing oo-operation during past years, and to
wish both Mr. and Mrs. Binns every happiness in the
future.

CANADIAN 239 R A I L
The St. Andrews & Quebec Railway
(The Pioneer railroad of New Brunswick)
-by C. Warren Anderson –
:A
the United Service Journal of 1832, an English paper of that
period, a Mr. Henry Fairbairn published the first notice, so far
as is known, of a project of applying the railway system to Ca­
nada. He said -I propose to form a railway for wagons from Quebec
to the Harbour of St. Andrews upon the Bay of Fundy, a work which
will convey the whole trade of the St. Lawrence, in a single day,
to the Atlantic waters.
A meeting was called on October 5th, 1835 by the citizens
of St. Andrews when an association was formed and an executive com­
mittee was appointed consisting of the following:
Hon. James Allenshaw, Chairman
Thomas Wyer, Esq. Deputy Chairman
Harris Hatch )
John Wilson )
James Rait ) Committee of management
Samuel Frye )
J. McMaster )
Adam
Jack -Secretary-Treasurer
One expects to find the best brains of a community to
be interested in anything which promotes progress, but this is in­
deed an imposing list.
During the early part of December, 1835, a delegation
proceeded to Quebec to bring the matter to the notice of the Govern­
ment of Lower Canada, and on the 19th day of the same month resolu­
tions favourable to the railway undertaking were adopted by both
Houses of the Legislature of Lower Canada. Similar resolutions were
adopted by the Houses of Assembly during the same week.
In January, 1836, another delegation proceeded to England
to lay the matter of a railway before the King and Imperial Govern­
ment. Resolutions similar to those passed by the Legislature of
Lower Canada were passed by the Nova Scotia Government durtrg March,
1836, and a bill was passed by the New Brunswick Government during
the same month incorporating the St. Andrews and Quebec Railroad
Company for the construction of a line from St. Andrews in New
Brunswick to Lower Canada. (Authority 13-14 Vic. Cap. 117). Sev­
eral other resolutions pertaining to the railway were passed at the
same time.
By April 27, 1836 an estimate of the cost of construction
and probable traffic had been made and laid before Lord Glenelg,
Secretary of State for the Colonies. Estimated cost was placed at
$4,000,000 and the income derived from the railway was placed at
$606,000 apart from the contract for the carrying of the mails.
CANADIAN
240
R A I L
On May 5th 1836 Sir George Grey, under Secretary of State
informed the delegation which had proceeded to England on behalf of
the railway, that the sum of JelO,OOO had been granted by the Impe­
rial Government to the railway to be expended on exploration and
survey work, and June 9th the delegation returned from England. The
day after the return of this de~gation several resolutions pertain­
ing to the railway were passed at a public meeting held in St.
Andrews.
On July 24, 1836 Captain Yule of the Royal Engineers was
entrusted with the work of the survey, commencing at Point Levis in
Quebec and running through what was thought to be wholly British
territory, the survey to be made and completed by 1837.
Early in 1837 the United States Government objected to the
surveys because they claimed it ran through what was United States
territory. Promotors of the railway were made aware of the attitude
of the United States Government on July the 3rd, 1837 and they at
once interviewed Lord Glenelg. On July 24th, 1837 Sir John Harvey,
New Brunswicks Governor, received from the Imperial Government in
consequence of a representation from the United States, a request
to prohibit any further proceedings in the construction of a rail­
way between St. Andrews and Quebec. Captain Yule sent his regrets
to the Railroad Association on the turn of events, and so the pro­
ceedings of the Association were abruptly olosed. During the year
1838 an attempt was made to revive the project, but as the boundary
question had become grave nothing could be done.
In February, 1839, a group of armed men from Maine tried
to take possession of the disputed territory and the organization
of a force to repel this invasion established the necessity of a
military road through British territory. Open hostilities were a­
verted by the cool headedness of the leaders on both sides. This
incident is sometimes referred to as the Aroostook War.
On October 24th, 1839 Sir John Harvey was informed by the
Imperial Authorities that they were resolved to advertise for ten­
ders for the carrying of the mails between England and Halifax by
steam instead of by sailing vessels. From that time on attention
seems to have been directed towards Halifax and Quebec, rather than
between St. Andrews and Quebec.
The famous, or infamous, according to your
Ashburton Treaty, was signed at Washington, August 9,
to the United States much of the territory thought to
New Brunswiok, and through which the surveys for the
been made.
view point,
1842, giving
have been in
railroad had-
During the year 1845 a revival of the St. Andrews -Quebec
Railroad project took place apparently recalled to life by the pro­
posal of a new scheme, namely the Halifax and Quebec Railway, the
prospectus of which had been issued in England.
On October 8th, 1845 a meeting was held at St. Andrews at
which a delegate was appointed by the Railroad Association to wait
upon the Colonial Secretary in furtherance of the general interest
in the undertaking.
CANADIAN 241 R A I L
A special meeting of the Saint John Chamber of Commerce
was held in that city on October 24th in the same year, at which
meeting two delegates from St. Andrews were heard. Resolutions were
passed assuring the delegates of the Chambers attention and con­
sideration regardless of local interest. The people of St. Andrews
continued their exertions on their own behalf. Subscription lists
were opened in December, 1845 and liberal amounts were taken in the
province. The capital asked for was 1750,000 in shares of£25 each.
At this time, in order to reduce cost, it was proposed to use wooden
rails, but iron rails were eventually decided upon.
On November 26th, 1846, a meeting of the stockholders of
the railway was held in St. Andrews when a local board of directors
was elected. Several shares were taken in England and a London
board appointed, of which a Mr. William Briggs became secretary.
Notwithstanding all this enthusiasm the settlement of the Boundary
question placed St. Andrews at a great disadvantage as it could not
obtain a direct connection with Quebec without crossing territory
which now formed part of the State of Maine. Thus the confident
hope which the people of St. Andrews had formed with respect to
their town becoming the Ocean terminus of a great railway was fast
passing away.
However the work of grading had been commenced by day la­
bourers in November 1847, ground having been then first broken in
the rear of the town on the farms of Thomas Wyer and Henry ONeill.
Proposals were also publicly invited for the earth work, masonry,
and bridging on the first four miles to Chamcook, which was let out
by contract, and the sum of £.74 15 S had been expended upon cons­
truction to 22nd January 1848.
Earl Fitzwilliam had made a proposition on 12th May, 1847
to the London Board to send out to the Province one hundred able
bodied labourers from his Wicklow estates in Ireland, and in order
that the men might obtain work upon the railroad and be subjected
to no disappointment on their arrival, he placed the sum of one
thousand pounds to the credit of the Company to pay their wages, at
the rate of two shillings a day, for so long as it would last, prob­
ably sixteen weeks, for which the Company was to credit his Lord­
ship in stock. This proposal having been accepted the noble one
hundred left on the ship Star on the 17th April. The Directors
had wooden shanties built for their reception.
Progress on the construction of the line was very slow as
between November 1847 and February 1851 grading was only completed
to Bartletts Farm, 10 miles from St. Andrews and all further work
was ordered stopped.
In February 1851 a contract was let for the building of
the first ten miles out of St. Andrews and on March 11th the barque
Avon from Newport arrived with a locomotive, together with the
first shipment of rails. This locomotive called the Pioneer is
presumed to have been the first locomotive to arrive in the province
having been built in England by the firm of Robert Stephenson &
Company the year before. This engine was an interesting type with
cylinders inclined and four coupled driving wheels, but no leading
or trailing wheels. It had no cab, bell, headlamp or pilot, so
common to our locomotives today. These were probably added later.
CANADIAN 242 R A I L
As it was hard to sell stock, and much harder to obtain
money on the stock already subscribed for, it was only the bold and
persistent energy of the promoters which enabled the company to
continue its work. Trains were running as far as Chamcook, 4 miles
out of St. Andrews early in 1851, probably the first train service
in the province.
A new contract was granted to James Sykes & Company of
Manchester, England, on April 15th, 1851, as very little work had
been done by John Brookfield who held the first contract and William
Jackson his English engineer. During the same month the second
cargo of rails arrived on the ship IIAnsdale, which through stress
of weather had been forced to put back twice to Oork and once to
Halifax. It is said that a great many were sick on board and were
disembarked on one of two small islands lying off St. Andrews, where
a hospital was constructed to care for them. Because of this fact
one of the islands is known as Hospital Island today. The new
contract had been let for the entire distance from St. Andrews to
Woodstock, the latter place which, for some time past, had been the
goal of the company.
The
construction of the line was re-commenced June 4th,
1852. A contemporary English paper, presumed to have been the
IIIllustrated London News, published under the date of August 14th,
1852, has the fo llowing say: Commencement 0 f the St. Andrews and
Quebec Railway…. The first section of this important work was commenced
with great ceremony on June 4th, le52, which will long be
remembered by the inhabitants of St.Andrews and County of Charlotte
generally.
At nine oclock the carriages, wagons, etc., with the
directors, shareholders and guests, drew up into line at Courthouse
Square, and half past nine the immense procession advanced headed
by the carriages of the Directors ••••••• and passed through Frede­
rick, Water, Elizabeth, Queen and Harriet Streets to the St. John
road; thence via Chamcook to the Frye-road; and after a pleasant
drive through the woods the procession arrived at Bartletts farm,
ten miles from St. Andrews ••••••••• Mrs. Murray, wife of the Ad­
ministrator, raised the first turf, deposited it in the barrow, and
tipped it at the end of the plank provided for that purpose •••.•••.
a salute of 19 guns was then fired in honour of the occasion ••••••
11
The work on the building of the line was energetically
pushed forward for by 1853 it was well advanced and this despite
constant financial friction and misunderstandings between represent­
atives of the English stock-holders and the local railway Associa­
tion.
Notwi thstand1r8 all this the IIReformer
ll
, a paper published
in St. Andrews, stated in an issue of 1853:
IIWe had the pleasure of taking a ride the other day on the
first Railroad car which had been brought to the Provinoe. The
road from St. Andrews to Woodstock is now made fully eleven miles,
the distance to which the car goes. There are now about 400 men
wo rking on the line.
Early in the spring of 1855 James Sykes, head of the con­
tracting firm building the railway, left England to come to Canada
to inspect the various contracts his firm had, but the sailing ship
he was on was lost at sea with all hands aboard.
CANADIAN 243 R A I L
~ —
1
r~
I

After the loss of James Sykes, the financial backer of
the firm of Sykes and Company, Charles de Bergue of Manchester,
thinking that the other Sykes brothers, William, Alexander and
Samuel were incompetent to carry on, withdrew his support and the
firm was thrown into bankruptcy.
As the company had had trouble with the contractors it
took possession of the road in June, 1855 and all work and traffic
was suspended.
On August the lOth, 1855 Notice of Sale of the Plant and
Materials used in the construction of the St. Andrews and Quebec
Railway was issued in the form of hand-bills, by Thomas Jones,
Sheriff of Charlotte, at St. Andrews, N.B. By this date 25 miles
of the railway had been constructed.
It is presumed that the sale was never carried out as
internal evidence shows that too much had been invested in time and
money to allow the road to be abandoned altogether, so in May, 1856
a new company the New Brunswick and Canada Rallvay and Land Company
was formed in London to complete the railroad to Woodstock.
Satisfactory arrangements agreeable to the stockholders
of the earlier companies were completed, the St. Andrews and Quebec
Railroad Company ceased to exist, and work was actively resumed by
the new company.
It is not within the scope of
progress of the New Brunswick and Canada
(Sometimes known as the St. Andrews and
Andrews and Canada Railway). Suffice to
this paper to trace the
Railway and Land Company
Woodstock or/and the St.
say that some advancement
CANADIAN 244 R A I L
was made and the road was formally opened for the first 34 miles in
October, 1857. By 1858 it had reached Canterbury 64 miles from St.
Andrews and by July 1862 it was opened for traffic to Richmond a few
miles further, but it passed into the hands of a receiver in
1863.
During the Trent Affair, 1862, a body of British troops
travelled from St. Andrews to Richmond by train, continuing their
journey by sleigh to Riviere du Loup via Woodstock. It is presumed
that this was probably the first troop movement by rail in the
Province. Branches were built to St. Stephen in 1866 and to Wood­
stock in 1868.
In 1870 the rails which had been laid as far as Richmond
(simply an accidental stopping point on the road to ~uebec) were removed
as far back as Debec Junction a branch from this point to
Houlton was completed in 1871.
A further re-organization took place in 1873, the new
company to be known as the New Brunswick and Canada Railroad. This
company acquired the New Brunswick and Canada Railway and Land Company,
the St. Stephen Branch Railway, the Woodstock Railway
Company and the Houlton Branch Railway, altogether giving the rail­
way much more mileage than the original road. The new Company built
the railway from Woodstock to Edmundston, but the Intercolonial
Railway which had been completed in 1876, made this route to ~uebec
of little value and it was not until 1887 that the Temiscouata Rail­
way was built and closed the last link between St. Andrews and the
Province of ~uebec.
This was the final realization of the dream of the pro­
moters more than half a century before. But it oame far too late
for the attainment of their hopes.
Meantime the New Brunswick Railway building out of Gibson
(Fredericton) in 1870 for Edmundston acquired the New Brunswick and
Canada Railroad July 1, 1882, and during the same year the Canadian
Pacific Railway acquired a controlling interest in the New Bruns­
wick Railway, the New Brunswick Railway retaining its own identit~
In 1883 the rails of the New Brunswick and Canada Rail­
way running parallel with the then New Brunswick Railway, between
McAdam and Vanceboro, were removed. In 1889 the trackage of the
New Brunswick Railway became part of the Canadian Pacific Railway
by a long term lease and is operated by them at the present time.
This concludes a short sketch of the St. Andrews and
~uebec Railroad and its successor roads. Very little seems to be
known of its early history, perhaps being overshadowed by the build­
ing of the European and North American Railway a few years later.
It must be remembered that the people of St. Andrews were very sin­
cere in their efforts to obtain rail transportation and their efforts
should not be forgotten by subsequent events.
..
CANADIAN INDUSTRH:S LHIITEO
Miscellaneous: up to 12 October 1967.
The following paragraphs are taken from CILs biweekly maga­
zine, Contact, of 17 July 1967.
A ma[91um of champagne and the National Transportation Act of
1967 both helped send the first-ever Canadian railway unit train
out of a freight yard at Copper Cliff, Ontario on the inaugural run
of a fast, regular, shuttle service of trainload shipments of sul­
phuric acid.
The departure of the 37-car Canadian Pacific train, carrying
3,700 tons of sulphuric acid from the Copper Cliff works to the
ammonia and fertilizer complex near Sarnia, signalled a first for
CP as it began Canadas first regularly scheduled unit train
movement of a single chemical commodity. The train is also the
first in Canada to have a oontinuous promotional message painted
along its length.
In a send-off ceremony on 11 July 1967, 21-year-old Copper
Cliff employee, Mrs. Bonnie Violino, traded the telephone she nor­
mally uses to schedule freight cars in and out of the acid plant
yard, for the bottle of champagne with which she launched the
train on its J3-hour, 490-mile Journey.
Attending the ceremony were representatives from CIL; the
Board of Transport Commissioners; the International Nickel Company
of Canada, whose smelter fumes are used to make the sulphuric acid
at Copper Cliff; Procor Ltd., which built and leased the cars to
CIL; Canadian Pacific Railway; and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway,
which will take the train from ChAtham, Ontario, to Lambton.
Freight rates for the new system of operation are based on
trainload shipments of sulphuric acid in 37 or 56 car lots with
precise scheduling for loading and unloading times. This freight
rate approach was made possible for the first time in Canada by the
National TransDortation Act which became law earlier this year.
Previous legislation prohibited railways from setting freight rates
on any basis except single carloads.
Twelve of the 37 cars were painted by CIL with lettering
which identifies them as part of the first Canadian unit train, and
provides a continuous and mobile promotional message.
Initially, the unit train will carry 3,700 tons of sulphuric
acid from Copper Cliff to Lambton twice a week, but it is expected
that the system will be expanded to a 56-car train operating be­
tween Copper Cliff and other destinations in Ontario and Quebec,
involving a movement in excess of 300,000 tons of sulphuric acid
annually •
IN
…………
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Deliveries: up to 06 October 1967.
SD-40s 5000 to 5007 have been received.
SFP&Ps new locomotlve ls shown here ln Walkley Yard, Ottawa, at
14:30 on 14 July 1967. The unlt, whlch ls adorned ln a medlum
sreen, wlth yellow strlpes, was ln translt to Kapuskaslng, Ontarl0.
(Photo by R. Ian Stronach).
Indlan State Rallways: up to 04 October 1967.
The flrst slx locomotlves for Indla have been outshopped. They
are bound for Madras.
ROAD DATE SHIP DATE
NUMBER OUTSHOPPED SAILED
6167 07/09/67 Jaladuhlta 09/09/67
6168 07/09/67 Jaladuhlta 09/09/67
6169 18/09/67 City of Slngapore 25/09/67
6170 18/09/67 Clty of Slngapore 25/09/67
6171 29/09/67 Jaladharatl 05/10/67
6172 29/09/67 Jaladharatl 05/10/67
Miscellaneous: up to 11 October 1967.
A couple of weeks ago CPR announced that it was planning pur­
chases of equipment totalling $30 million, which would include a
small order of 3000 horsepower locomotives. Readers may recall
that in Canadian Rail #181, Power published a rumour that CP was
contemplating a push-pull train for Montreal commuter service.
Readers may have concluded by now that this was wishful thinking
on the part of their power editor. However, indications are that
the locomotives mentioned in the above press release may well be
for this service. Rumour from various sources also has It that the
rolling stock for the train or trains, will be double-decker coach­
es with seating capacities in excess of 160 persons each.
The body of CN 9344 is raised off its frame (hidden by the frame of
a roadswitcher) shortly after its arrival inside CPs Erection Shop
at Ogden on 07 August 1967. (Photo by Clayton F. Jones).
CHAMPAGNE AND SULPHURIC ACID -Bonnie Violino, clerk, shipping,
watches the bottle of champagne she has just swung to launch
Canadas first sulphuric acid unit train. In the background are
K.W. Harmon, Ontario district sales manager, C&O railway (left),
and J.M. Roberts, vice-president traffic, CPR.
Canadas first unit train leaves Copper Cliff, OntariO, headed by
CP 4248 and 4202, en route to Lambton, carrying 3,700 tons of sul­
phuric aCid. The 37-car CP train made its inaugural run on 11 July
1967 from the acid plant at Copper Cliff. It was the first ship­
ment of a regularly scheduled bi-weekly service between the two
plants. (CPR photo courtesy CIL).
Rails Gone Forever
-by Stephen H. Jones –
nother closing chapter of railroading in Iberville. Quebec.
~was enacted recently. The last remaining tracks of the Central
Vermont and the well known pile bridge between St. Johns and Iber­
ville were removed. This line between St. Johns and St. Albans.
Vermont. was built about 1865 and carried much traffic. including
famous trains such as the Ambassador. the New Englander. the Mont­
realer and the Washingtonian.
In the late 1940s the few remaining trains were diverted
to the CNR tracks on the west side of the Richelieu River. using
the old Canada Atmntic bridge at Cantic for crossing the Richelieu.
In the early 1950s tracks were removed between Swanton, Vermont
and Iberville. Quebec. However. trackage and station were left
intact in the Town of Iberville with an agent in attendance until
December 15th 1965. This was known as the Lemoyne subdivision and
consisted of about a mile of original C.V. tracks and a half mile
of the old Q.M.& S. which served in later years to join the C.V. to
the C.P.R. The Q.M.&S. once had a fair sorting yard in Iberville
and was taken over by the CNR on July 16th 1929. The line dwindled
rapidly with the simultaneous advent of the automobile and the 1930
depression. Traoks were lifted in 1936 and the only remaining ves­
tige was the half mile link between C.P.R. and C.V. In earlier
days there was an additional link between the two roads which ran
parallel to the Q.M.& S. about 300 feet distant.
When the steam cars were at their best. Iberville was
well served by the Central Vermont. C.P.R., Grand Trunk, Q.M.& S ••
Rutland Railroad and with the Grand Trunk and Delaware & Hudson
passing through St. Johns less than a mile away. There were also
four railroad stations in the town. Today there are none except
the typical solid briok C.V. which was saved from the wreckers ball
just in time by a sympathetic member of the C.R.H.A. who rented it
as a warehouse. This building was put up in 1876 by the Town of
Iberville on land furnished by them. A treaty was signed by both
parties saying that the railroad would stop their trains if a sta­
tion were provided free of charge. But should service ever be dis­
continued. the property would revert back to the town and this is
exactly what happened 90 years later. This proves that we never
know what might happen because certainly in 1876 nobody could fore­
see the replacement of railroads by autos.
Other branch lines were in existence. such as the one be­
tween Farnham and Iberville. as well as the Q.M. & S. between Iber-
ville and St. Hyacinthe and Iberville south to Noyan. Certainly
Iberville had an excellent network of rail lines leading in all
directions. Today the only remaining line is the C.P.R. main line
to Halifax, with oniy a few trains remaining as compared to former
years when a double track line existed. Their station is also being
demolished at this very moment.
Nostalgic memories remain of great trains laden
passengers or umpteen tons of freight rushing in and out.
events such as winter blizzards holding up trains for a
time while men shovelled to help the snow ploughS and
with many
and also
week at a
rotaries
CANADIAN 250 R A I L
NOTES .. NIIWS
The early part of September was a rather tragio time for the rail­
way enthusiast in this part of the world. First was the news of
the.aviation acoident whioh claimed the life of F. Nelson Blount,
the proprietor and guiding hand of Steamtown. Steamtown needs
no explanation in a publication suoh as this, but what may not be so
generally known is the amount of time, money and effort whioh
Mr. Blount put into the project. He was also director of the
Edaville Railway, whioh the late Ellis D. Atwood built around the
cranberry bogs near South Carver, Mass. Mr. Blount, 48, was a
Christian, a preacher and an evangelical businessman. He is sur­
vived by his wife and five children.
Another tragedy occurred on Sunday, September 10th, when one of the
li ttle trains on the Mount Washington Cog Railway jumped the tracks
at an open switoh and fell off the trestle over whioh it was Passing.
Eight persons were killed in the mishap —the first fatal aooident
involving a passenger on the line.
On a more cheerful note, GO Transit at Toronto reoeived its self­
propelled oars from Hawker-Siddeley during the first half of Sept­
ember, and inaugurated Passenger services with them as soon as
tests showed the units to be reliable. Full soheduled Passenger
operations had been instituted September 5th, using locomotive­
powered trains exolusively, but the receipt of the self-propelled
units will enable more economical and flexible operations.
An interesting note
concerning one of the
early railway lines
in Denmark.
In 18b8, ClO low people travollod
{rom Lyngby to Coponhagen In the
morning that it walll not considered
fl.nandally .ound to run a train on
the wholo 1ino. Therefore, trans­
port facilitie8 were provided tor
travellers [rom Lynghy to Hellerup
by means of a hor.o-drawn coach;
however, on tho Ian ,(.otch, where
lhe track h..lla stceply. the horsea
ware: unhitched, and the coach
gathered 8ulfident momeotum to
be able to proceed 10 Hollerup,
where it was coupled to a train run­
ning Itom Klampenborg to Copen­
t-agon.
RAILS GONE FOREVER –Continued
oombat the snow, while others pumped water by hand in farm houses
and oarried it to thirsty looomotives in milk cans.
The rails and ties are now gone, the bed has been levelled
and after 100 years the land has reverted to its onginal use, orops
and hay. The present generation will never know the immensity of·
important steam traffic whioh traversed those long nar·row strips of
land. An era has oome to an end and will never return and all that
happened therein will be forgotten forever because no traoes remain.
Impressive and mighty as our mechanioal era is, it is
certainly more quiokly forgotten than former eras, such as the
Egyptians with their pyramids and temples, or the Middle Ages whioh
are remembered by examples of wonderful arohiteoture, painting,
music and other enduring monuments.
CANADIAN
251
R A I L
A Montreal Transportation Commission employees went on strike Sept­
ember 21st, creating the disruption that lack of public transit
services always entails. One of the basic Causes appeared to be
the wages of city bus and Metro operators who were receiving an average
of $2.77 an hour compared with the $3.32 an hour paid to the Citys
street-cleaning broom operators. Their complaint seemed justified
but the means of achievement left something to be desired!! Expo
Express, operated by M.T.C. employees, was the only service not
affected by the walkout. Metro and M.T.C. bus lines which nor-
mally give access to the Expo site, however, were strikebound.
During the period of the strike, the Canadian National Railways
operated a special shuttle service between Central Station and
Bridge Street on an half-hourly basis, using two trains each con­
sisting of a road switcher and ten to twelve coaches. A 25¢
f.are was charged in each direction. Much of the time the trains
operated at their capacity of 4000 Passengers per hour. (Why
this servioe was not a regular feature of Expo transit in normal
times is something of a mysteryll )
X
Canadas newly-oreated Transport Commission is to be headed by
J. W. Pickersgill, formerly Minister of Transport. He will be
succeeded in the Governments Transport portfolio by Paul Hellyer,
former Defenoe Minister. Mr. Pickersgill will assume control of
the body which he himself was instrumental in creating –a super
board to regulate all phases of transportation in the country.
Other appointees to the Commission include: John Magee, a leading
figure in the Canadian trucking indUstry,; David H. Jones, a Winnipeg
lawyer; Laval Fortier, from the Unemployment Insurance
Commission; and Alan Campbell, shipping director of the Canadian
Transport Company.
• A
bouquet of flowers, a scroll, two medallions and a travel bag were
the gifts received September 14th by Mrs. Rose Mary Carlson
of Toronto, who was picked as the one-millionth passenger to ride
Ontarios GO Transit. The presentations were made by Ontario
Premier John Robarts and CNR Vice-president D.V.Gonder •

liThe Newfoundland Passenger train service ••• to be or not to be,
that is the question ••• is still very much in the news, and likely
to remain so for many months to come,1I says an editorial in the
Grand Falls, Nfld, Advertiser.
]nformation t plra~r !
A detailed listing of all locomotives constructed by the
Oanadian Locomotive Co. at Kingston~ Ont
t
is being pre­
pared by Mr. Donald R. McQueen of 30 Lloyd Manor Cre~nt
London, Ontario. He is missing certain details,howeve~
and would appreciate any help other readers of Canadian
Rail could give. He writes: IIbelow is a list of major
weak areas .••• rosters of Q&LStJ–LE&DR–PEIR–AC&HB –­
TH&B—QCR •••. a scrap list for CPR locos years 1949-58,
and any information on the foreign locomotives built by
CLC, ie. Russian Decapods, British Govt Consolidations,
Jamaica 4-8-0s, Belgian 2-8-0s, French 2-8-2s etc •••
NED HILTON
Ive been flying for years, but this is the
first time Ive ever been on a train.
CANADIAN RAIL: Published monthly (except July/August combined) by
LOOK ……
the Publications Committee, Canadian Railroad Historical
Association, P.O. Box 22, Station B, Montreal 2, Canada.
Associate Membership –including 11 issues
of ·Canadian Rail: (1967 issues) S 4.00
PUBLICAT IONS C0l1HITTEE:
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL:
ASSOCIATE EDITOR:
NEWS EDITOR:
POWER EDITOR:
D.R. Henderson, Chairman Anthony Clegg
William Pharoah
Ivilliam Pharoah
Anthony Clegg Derek Booth Murray Dean
DIRECTOR OF MEMBERSHIP and BRANCHES:
J.A.Beatty, 4982 Queen Mary Road, Montreal, Quebec.
ASSOCIATION BRANCHES and REPRESENTATIVES.
OTTAWA BRANCH: Major S.R.Elliot, secretary, Box 352, Term. A, Ottawa, Ont.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BRANCH: V.H.Coley, Sec; 11243-72nd Ave., Edmonton, Alta.
SASKATCHEWAN. J.S.Nicolson, 2306 Arnold St., Saskatoon, Sask.
OTTAWA VALLEY: K.F.Chivers, Apt.3, 67 Somerset st. II., Ottawa, Ont.
FAR EAST: W.D.McKeown, c/o Osaka Tosabori) YMCA,
2 -chome, Nishi-ku, Osaka, Japan.
BRITISH ISLES: J.H .Sanders, 67 Willow Iay, Ampthill, Beds., England.
Copyright 1967 Printed in Canada
on Canadian paper

Demande en ligne