Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 187 1967

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 187 1967

April
1967
Number 187
in the forefront of new developments
•••• a simple, pleasing contour .•••
MTCs 1900 CLASS ONE-MAN CA.S
R. M. Binns
W
hile u~y in the forefront of new developments in urban trans­
it technology and methods, Montreal Tramways Company was slow to
adopt one-man operation. Aside from the natural resistance of
labour to such an innovation, M.T.C. officials were of the opinion
that the difficult local topography and severe winter climate,
together with an unusually high passenger traffic density, precluded
the extensive use of one-man cars here. True, in 1919 a one-man
line was established on Decourcelles Street (Glen Road) but this
could hardly be called a bold experiment. One single-truck car,
second No. 284, shuttled back and forth in front of St. Henri car­
barns, between St. Antoine Street and St. Catherine Street. Before
starting each trip the motorman simply passed through the car with
a hand fare box, but there were few fares to collect. Practically
everybody using this little line was either a company employee or
someone transferring between cars running on St. Catherine Street
and those running on St. Antoine, St. James or Notre Dame Streets
or vice versa, so the operators duties consisted primarily of ver­
ifying transfers. This line, being only about 1,200 feet long,
probably holds the record for the shortest regular transit route
ever operated in Montreal. Having no intermediate stops, it was
pretty hard to make a case for a two-man crew, but such was the
practise prior to 1919.
In 1924, by which time one-man operation was generally
accepted in many other cities, the Company put into service fourteen
Birney Safety cars obtain~d second hand from the City of Detroit,
Department of Street Railways. The economic advantages of the
Birney type could not be ignored on outlying extensions and short
shuttle services, such as the new lines on Shakespeare Road, Boul.
St-Michel and Cadillac Street, built in that year, and on others
with very light traffic.
Then, in 1925 an opportunity presented itself for a trial
of one-man operation on a somewhat larger scale. In that year the
line on Notre Dame Street East was extended from the western limits
of Pointe-aux-Trembles~to Bout-delIle, and as a co~quence service
on the Terminal line ea.st 0 f~J)esormeaux Street was abandoned. As
the remaining portion of the Terminal line including the Tetreault­
ville branch was within the City of Montreal limits where no compli­
cated zone fare transactions were required, and, being on a private
right-of-way, it seemed ideally suited for one-man operations. For
this purpose, 740 class cars were chosen, -being sturdy double­
truck cars capable of carrying a nose plow in winter. The 740 class
cars were built by M.S.R. in 1903-04 and were the last to have lon­
gitudinal seats throughout, except for the 1175 class of wartime
emergency cars. Six cars,/Nol!. 740, 746, 748, 758, 768 and 788 were
altered and fitted with modern safety-car devices, a double front
door and an automatic treadle exit door at the rear. Service started
in October 1925 and proved to be successful. After the Terminal
line was sold to Canadian National Railways in 1927, the 740 class
one-man cars were used for a short time as extras on the Notre Dame
East lines and finally scrapped in 1929.

I,
CANADIAN 77 R A I L
Between 1922 and 1925, the proportion of the total car­
miles operated by one man in North American cities had risen from
48.7% to 84.6%.
By late 1925, the Company was finally convinced that one­
man operation would be practical on certain city lines of medium
traffic density, -at least during off-peak hours. Designs were
prepared with Canadian Car and Foundry Company for a light-weight
double truck car suitable for one-man operation, and an order for
50 cars was placed with that firm in December 1925. Taking no
chances however, the cars were designed to be operated with two-men,
if necessary, during rush hours and they were actually classified
as one-man, two-man cars. These were the 1900 class, which is
the subject of our attention in this article. A sample car No. 1900 was
delivered on July 26th 1926 for testing. The followin~ is an
extract from a full description of this car appearing in Electric
Railway Journal for August 21st 1926:-
The most striking feature of the floor plan of this car,
which 1s single ended, is the use of four doors, two at eaoh
end, one for exit and one for entrance. Three of these doors are
air-operated, but the rear entrance door is hand-operated, being
limited in its use of providing an entrance only when the car is
being operated by two men. At that time the conductor occupies
a pOSition on an elevated stand at the extreme rear. Since these
cars will be known by their distinctive colour as one-man front­
entrance cars, passengers will be accepted at all times at the
front end. – – – – -The Company expects that the usual opera­
tion will be by one man only. Two-man operation may be adopted
for one or two trips per day during the rush hours on certain
routes. At crowded corners where loading is heavy and time is
of importance, passengers will be invited by a street supervisor
to board at the rear end.
The body construction of this group of cars was most unu­
sual because the main steel side girders which form the lengthwise
structural members were on the inside instead of the outside of the
car. The outside panels were Plymeti, a composite material of
laminated wood and a thin sheet of metal. The space between this
sheathing and the steel plates was filled with 1/2 in. of insulating
material. The purpose of this form of construction was to reduce
corrosion, because with low winter temperatures it was found that
with the steel plates on the outside, condensation formed on the
inner side of the plates. Also it was expected that this sheathing
would be cheaper and easier to replace when damaged by minor acci­
dents.
* * *
. Each ;,1ontreal trgm carri ed an elaborate plaque
to commemmorate the 1939 Royal Visit. One of
the 1900s (by a co-incidence, nu~ber 1967 ),
::>hoto-;raphed at Gatineau and Queen ilary Rd. on
I1iay 20th, 1939 •
..III ••• fears that lightweight cars •.• would have
~ difficulty in snow storms were soon dispelled.
CANADIAN 78 R A I L
In September, the Montreal Standard featured a full
desoription of the cars, with pictures, under the bold heading;
Standard Gives Citizens First View of Handsome New Street Cars.
No. 1900 was carefully tested during August and September.
Both operating and maintenance officials had the opportunity to
suggest and discuss with the builders, any possible improvements or
ohanges before the rest of the order was delivered. The car was
tested in regular service on the Tetreaultville line, running with
the 740 class converted one-man cars mentioned earlier. For this
purpose, No. 1900 was equipped to carry a headlight, rear marker
light, a spare trolley pole and an air whistle installed under the
front platform.
The rest of the cars were delivered and put into service
on October 12th 1926 on the Guy-Beaver Hall No. 14 and St. Antoine
No. 47 belt lines and on Notre Dame East No. 22 (Place dArmes to
Viau) and November 9th on Amherst No.1. The layout of the front
platform was found to be unsatisfactory, and in November some of
the railings and the farebox position were ohanged and an additional
heater installed. For some unknown reason No. 1919 was not put in
service until January 7th 1927. This particular car was fitted with
a rubbing strip or proteotive moulding along each side, which it
carried for several years.
Despite the fears of many, one-man operation was most
successful on these lines, and the two-man feature of these cars
. was never implemented. Actually it was found that higher schedule
speeds could be achieved with one-man operation than with two-man
cars on medium to fairly heavy traffic routes. The reasons for this
rather surprising fact were: first, the operator was in a better
position to co-ordinate his work to take the best advantage of
traffic signals and traffic situations at intersections, rather
than being dependent on signals from a conductor working more or
less blindly at the rear. Secondly, being solely responsible for
the cars operation he had a greater pride and interest in its per­
formance. An additional five oents per hour was paid to one-man
operators.
As the calling of streets and making announoements to
passengers was supposed to be part of a conductors duties, it wa~
feared that one-man operators, with their backs to the audience
would not be able to do this effeotively. As an experiment, one
car, No. 1910 was fitted with a public address system, but with the
equipment available at that time, feed back and other problems
were not solved and the idea was soon abandoned.
The 1900 class cars proved to be highly successful and
seemed to bring to the lines on which they were operated, a certain
measure of prestige. To the passengers they appeared to be a very
modern and sophisticated vehicle. In fact they were indeed one of
the finest examples of light-weight double-truck one-man cars of
that period to be found anywhere. They embodied many features which
were new to the Montreal public, notably the use of trucks with 26
in. wheels, thus eliminating one step, – a level floor throughout,
and all barriers and stanchions of alururnum piping with wood filler.
Rico retractable steel hand straps, was another innovation, as well
as brass window sash, -the first in Canada.
CANADIAN 79 R A I L
The outside appearance of the 1900s was quite striking.
The specifications called for particular efforts on the part of the
builders to achieve continuous and smooth exterior body lines, and
a simple arch roof of pleasing contour. There were no large rivet
heads on the outside. So that the public could easily identify
these cars as being of the front entrance type, an entirely new
colour scheme was used, -straw, with maroon striping and lettering,
light chocolate roof and dark red trucks. As originally painted,
the 1900 class cars presented a rich, handsome appearance. Unfor­
tunately the original colours did not stand up well, and a lighter
cream body colour with Indian red trim was soon adopted which became
the standard livery for one-man cars. Oddly enough the one-man
colours were never applied to the Birney cars.
Originally the 1900s had a small one-way gate, at the
front and rear exits, to deter passengers from entering by these
doors. The gates were removed after a couple of years. It was
soon found that the front exit could also be used for entrance at
heavy· loading points, where a ground man could collect transfers at
that door. In fact an alert operator could, by standing up, collect
fares and transfers from two streams of entering passengers.
Sometime in 1927 four 1900s were ass~ned to base service
on Cot~ des Neiges, Route 65, which at that time was a minor line
operating between University Street and the corner of Cote des
Neiges and Queen Mary Roads. Then, in September 1927, the new
Hochelaga line was opened and No. 1900 together with a small group
similarly equipped for suburban running were assigned to that line.
Generally speaking, cars of this weight, -36,250 Ibs., –
used 35 HP motors, but considering the grades and severe operating
conditions in Montreal, it was thought advisable to use a more pow­
erful motor, -the Westinghouse 5l0-A-2 motor, rated at 42 HP. The
cars were smooth riding and performed well on the steepest hills.
Any fear that light-weight cars of that type would have difficulty
in snow storms was soon dispelled. Confirming what had been found
in the northeastern United States, the small diameter wheels seemed
to maintain a sharper bite or contact with the rails which more
than offset the lighter weight as far as adhesion was concerned.
After a year or two, when it beoame certain that a seoond
man would never be required on these cars, the rear entrance door
was fastened permanently in place, the step removed and the step­
well filled in. It was not until 1938 however, that the raised
platform and conductors drop seat were removed. The rear vestibule
of one car, No. 1913, was remodelled with a panel and window sash
in place of the door and the seat carried around the rear, similar
to the arr9llgement on later one-man cars, thus increasing the seating
capacity from 45 to 49. Apparently the expense of doing the whole
group was not justified.
Two repeat orders were placed with C.C.F., one for f~en
cars received in May 1928, sub-class 1950 (Nos.1950-1964) and forty
more delivered in July 1929, sub-class 1965 (Nos. 1965-2004). Gen­
eral dimensions; (41-2 overall length) and equipment were the
same as the original group, but conventional body construotion was
used, namely steel side ~lates on the outside, 3/32 on the 1950
group ~nd increased to 1/8 on the 1965 group, making these latter
cars slightly heavier at 37,000 lbs. There was no provision for a
second man, of course. A single treadle exit door was provided,
/ ..
/.
with the seat continuing around the rear. Dome light fixtures and
wood hand rails instead of grab-handles were other slight differ­
ences. The 1965 class had the front letterboard reduced by 2 in.
and windows extended to give better vision. In the writers opinion,
the 1950 and 1965 sub-classes did not have quite the neat smooth
body lines of the 1900-1949 group.
The additional one-man cars received in 1928 and
were required for the Cote des Neiges line which became a
route when extended to Snowdon Junction, the new Rosemont
route, and conversion of Delorimier, Frontenac, and Papineau
to one-man operation.
1929
major
Blvd.
lines
Included in the final order were six double-end versions
of the 1965 sub-class, similar in all major respects and designated
2600 class. These were intended primarily for the Bordeaux and
Montreal North lines. At the end of 1929 then, the Company had 111
modern one-man cars (Nos. 1900 to 2004) (Nos. 2600 to 2605). To
meet further requirements for double-end one-man cars in 1933-34,
four of the single-end cars, Nos. 2001 to 2004, were remodelled and
equipped for double-end running, thus becoming similar to the 2600
class although retaining their original numbers. Much later, in
M.T.C. 1919 on Girouard Avenue approaching the
C.P.R. underpass near Western Avenue.
Double-ended 2604 with headlight and red marker
lamp at the Tramways summit on Mount Royal.
Number 2002 on the rural line to Dixie, along­
side the old C.N.R. main line. Tramways and
Railways have now given way to a residential
subdivision in Lachine.
For a while in the 1940s, the group 2001-2004
were used as single-ended cars on the Cartier­
ville line. Trolley poles were replaced by
short stubs to maintain the electrical conn-
extion through the front-end trolley base.
—-
••• letterboard reduced by two inches and the
windows extended to give better vision •••
——
CANADIAN 83 R A I L
1956 the 2600 class was re-numbered as a continuation of the 1965
sub-class, receiving the numbers 2005 to 2010.
One major difficulty with one-man o}:Elratlon was the neces­
sity of stationing a man at the ends of lines where cars were re­
quired to wye. From the beginning it was strictly forbidden to
back a one-man car without a man at the rear end to g~e the trolley
pole and watch the traffic. In 1937 and 1939 twenty of the single­
end cars were equipped with an ingenious back up control system.
The apparatus was designed and built at Youville Shops. It permit­
ted the operator to carry his brake handle to the rear, and, by
insertion in a socket on the window sill, have full control in
backing at low speed. The layout and appearance of the rear end was
left unchanged and no seats sacrificed. The cars so equipped were
Nos. 1974 to 1978 and 1986 to 2000.
In 1942 the Company received a suggestion, -possibly
from a homesick expatriate from Toronto or Ottawa, -that the one­
man cars be painted red. Surprisingly, it was decided to finish
one car in red, and, without any publicity to see what the public
reaction would be. No.1951 was chosen, and operated in that livery
for about two years. Not receiving any reaction one way or the
other, it was concluded that passengers couldn1t care less what
colour was used, and the idea was dropped. Adm.1ttedly, the cream
colour was difficult to maintain in good condition and a darker
colour would have been more economical.
The 1900
l
s had their share of incidents and accidents.
Being of light construction, they were subject to superficial dam­
age in minor traffic accidents; No. 1954 got off to a bad start.
Just arrived new from the builders, it was put in service on Route
14 on a fine Sunday morning in May 1928. On the very first trip
something went wrong coming down Claremont Avenue resulting in a
headlong dash down that steep hill. Unable to take the curve at
Sherbrooke Street, it derailed and plunged into the grocery store
on the corner. There were no injuries because, fortunately, there
were no passengers on 1954, and being early Sunday morning in West­
mount, no one was on the streets, and of course the grocery store
was closed. Not so fortunate were the circumstances of a similar
plunge many years later. Up to the moment when No. 1952 started
down Lansdowne Avenue at 8:15 A.M. on December 21st 1942, the Com­
pany had been able to claim with justifiable pride that in its long
history, and that of its predecessors, no passenger had ever been
killed while travelling on the cars. That morning the temperature
was low and the humidity high, a combination which usually produced
slippery rails. No.1952 got into a skid from which it never recov­
ered, and ended broadside against a tree after derailing at the
curve into Westmount Avenue. Tragically one of the only two pas­
sengers on the car was fatally injured.
It can be said that the 1900 class cars were very success­
ful and proved conclusively that one man operation in Montreal was
practical with a well designed car. With the coming of the depres­
sion in the 1930
l
s, one-man operation was expanded by converting
trailers and some two-man cars into one-man cars. Others were ob­
tained during the war, and even as late as 1954 the remaining trail­
ers were converted. Nevertheless it was not until the last twelve
months of tramway operation, when only a few lines remained, that
100% one-man operation was aChieved.
••• a position
on an elevated
stand at the
extreme rear •••
84
• •• renewal of
steel underfram­
ing and side
members at a
cost of $4000
per car •••
• •• a srral1 one­
way gate ••• to
deter passen­
gers.
85
Turbo
Trains
CN
S TURBO TRAINS, now a-building at the plant of Montreal Loco­
motive Works in eastern Montreal, are expected to be ready for
test runs within a few weeks and are scheduled to go into ser-
vice during the early part of the summer.
This announcement was made as Canadian National displayed, for
the first time, the Turbo production line at the MLW plant, where
five seven-car sets are under construction.
The April 1966 issue of Canadian Rail carried a detailed des­
cription of the TurboTrain, as designed by the Uni ted Aircraft Co. The
CN ordered five seven-car groups on May 17th last, to be op­
erated between Montreal and Toronto on a lease-maintenance ar­
rangement with U.A.C. An option to purchase outright may be ex­
ercised within a period of up to eight years. The trains are to
be powered by ST6 single-stage free turbine engines designed and
built by Uni ted Aircraft of Canada at Longueull –carbodies are
being constructed by Montreal Locomotive Works.
As detailed by Murray Dean in his Power column this month the
units are to be designated as follows:
Parlor domes PIOO series
Parlor cars TIOO series
Coaches T200 series
Meal service cars T300 series
Coach domes P200 series
On the following pages, we reproduce photographs courtesy CNR
and MLW, showing the trains and their turbine powerplants at var­
ious stages of construction.
(We also include with this issue of Canadian Rail a coloured
illustrated pamphlet, published by the Canadian National Railway~
advertising their soon-to-be-inaugurated TurboTrain servic es.)
Continued fro~ previous page
*
*
The 1900 class, being of light construction, were not in­
tended to have a life of much over twenty-five years. By 1953 after
28 years service, most of the first group (1900-1949) began to suf­
fer from corrosion and a programme of retuilding was started involv­
ing the renewal of most of the steel underframing and side members,
at a cost of ~4,000. per car. Seventeen were actually completed
and became virtually new cars (Nos.1908,1915,1918,1919,1920,1929,
1930,1936,1937,1938,1939,1940,1941,1943,1945,1946, 1947 ). Due to
impending bus substitutions the programme was suspended.
Of the entire fleet of 111 cars, 83 remained until 1958.
Some of the 1965 group were among the last cars to operate in Mont­
real when tramway service ceased on August 30th 1959.
Unfortunately, none of the original lot (1900-1949) were
preserved, but at present writing five of the others are still in
existence:
No. 1953 -On the property of Mr. Donald Angus, Senneville, Que. No. 1959 –
Canadian Railway Museum, De1son, Que. No. 1972 –
Sea~hore Ele?,tric Rr,., Kenneb~nkport, Ma~ne.
No. 2001 No. 2005 (Ex. No. 2600) –
Connecticut E1ec.Ry.Assn., Warehouse
Point, Conn.
86
Power dome cars, built of strong welded aluminum, take shape at
Montreal Locomotive Works. Each of the units, in addition mac­
commodating passengers who will have an unrestricted view of the
countryside, will carry the gas turbine engines. A clam-shaped
nose, to be installed over the opening at the right of the lower
picture, will open up for joining with another similar unit.
Technicians in an assembly area of United Aircraft of Canada put
the finishing touches on an ST6 gas turbine engine which will pro­
vide motive power for the new CN trains. Weighing approx1Jnately 300
pounds, the ST6 develops up to 400 h.p.in this application.
Long years of experience in constructing locomotives and rapid­
transit equipment for the transportation industry go behind the
workmen at M.L.W. as they construct units of Canadian Nationa~s
new Turbos. Four turbine engines, installed in the sides of the
power dome cars, will provide the power for a seven-car set; a
fifth engine will be used for electrical power for air-condition­
ing, heating and other services. The design is such that the en­
gines may be replaced on a preventive maintenance basis, within
an hour.
88

. , .
PODIK
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
..
EnRATUM
CR #18J show.e.d R()oster B-l0 as being out of the shop on Decem­
ber 26, 1965. It is obvious when compared to the date. that it was
received by the operating department that the date shoul~ have been
December 26, 1964, not 1965.
Purchases: up to Harch 20, ·1967 •
The
road numbers for the turbotrain cars ~s as below.
ORDER OF CAR TYPE OF CAR BUILDERS ROAD NUMBER
IN CONSIST ~10DEL
1 Parlour-Dome PDC-26 Pl00 and up
2 Parlour-Coach IC-JJ Tl00 and up
a
Coach
IC-J~
T200 and up
Coach IC-J T200 and up
5
Buffeteria-Coach IC-Jl TJOO and up
6 Coach IC-JO T200 and up
7 Coach-Dome PDC-27 P200
and up
Two sets wili norma11¥ couple by the PDC-27 ends, although
this is not mandatory.
Deliveries: up to March 20, 1967.
ROAD NUMBER
J229
J2JO
J2Jl
DATE DELIVERED
February 24, 1967
February 28, 1967
IJarch 16, 1967
Retirements: up to Harch 20, 1967.
ROAD RETIRED BUILT
NUMBER
1609 3/J/67 10/1/52
1616 J/J/67 7/11/51
4815 20/2/67 J/l1/5J
9066 20/2/67 23/7/52
9124 20/2/67 26/11/52
BUILDERS NUftBER
M-J477-08
N-J
4
77-09
H-J477-10
BUILDERS
NUf-lBER
2662
2651
A-5
49
A-J5J
A-J98
BUILDERS
110DEL
H-l0-64
H-10-64
GP-7
P-7
F-7
Unit 4815 was damaged in Vanderhoof Yard, r,jp 68.5 of the
Nechako Subdivision on August J, 1966 in a collision between X4815
CANADIAN 91 R A I L
West and a work extra. Both fire And wreck dama~e were extenslve.
Units 9066 and 9124 were involved in A derailment at MP 120.7
of the Ashcroft Subcllvlsi0n (Fraser Canyon) on t-larch 13, 1966 when
Train 854 struck a rock slide on the main line. The locomotlves
rolled do~n the canyon.
In add.1tlon, Locomotives 1630, 1646, and 9426 are filed for
retirement approval, while six of the remainlng seven 2200s are
slated for dlsposal soon.
ScraDPinp;s: up to March 20, 1967.
Charles De Jean of eNs Research and Development Department
states that 9318 and 9342 were strlpped at Point Saint Charles on
December 29, 1966, prior to shipment to London for final dismant­
ling. 9320 underwent a siml1ar fate on February 1, 1967.
Renumberings: up to March 20, 1967.
The Locomotives for the Southern Ontario service will be re­
numbered as follows:
PRESENT NUMBER
3850
3853
3856
NEW NUl~BER
3150
3151
3152
Miscellaneous: up to 11arch 20, 1967.
PRESENT NmlBER
860
3884
3887
NEW NUMBER
3153
315
4
3155
1) CN has embarked upon a pro~ram of truck changing. Locomo­
tives4100.to 4133, class GH-17P, are. having their trucks changed
from fle:X:icoll to s~11ngnan.ger . typ.e.Lo.co!llot1ve·~ 3B30 to 389),
classes MR-18f and r,lR-18g, are rece1ving s1m.11ar treatment. How­
ever, for numbers 4800 to 4824, classes GR-15a ~~ OR-1Sb, the
swlnghanger trucks are being,replaced with the flexlcoil trucKs.
Unlts 4200 to 4205 were treated ln the same manner as the GR-17ps
ln 1963, at whlch tlme they were numbered bacK to their orlginal
numbers of 4496 to 4501.
FIRST AND THIRD
NUt1BER
4496
4497
4498
4499
4500
4501
SECOND
NUMBER
4200
4201
4202
4203
4204
4205
DATE FROM
1 TO 2
8/10/57
24/10/57
9/9/57
5/9/57
30/9/57
7/10/57
DATE FROM
2 TO 3
30/5/63
11/62
16/2/63
11/62
2/7/63
15/12/62
DATE
BUILT
2/11/56
2/11/56
5/11/56
7/11/56
9/11/56 9/11/56
BUILDERS
NUMBER
A-I014
A-lOIS
A-I016
A-I017
A-I018
A-I019
2) eNs C-630 s, #2000 and #2001, wlll be assigned to the At­
lantic Region.
3) CN has decided that it will plHce SD-40 s, #5000 to #5007
in subclass c rather than b as they reported ln CanRal1 #182.
Thus, 5000 to 5007 are GR-30c and 4012 to 4017 are GR-30b.
CANADIAN PACIFIC RIlILWAY
Deliveries: up to ~8rch 20, 1967.
llOAD NUNBEH DATE DELIlJEnED BUILDERS J.lUf1BER
55
40
Februa.ry 14, 1967 11-2185
55
41 February 14, 1967 A-2186
5542 February 20, 1967 A-2187
55
43 February 20, 1967 A-2188
55
44 February 24, 1967 A-2189
55
45 February 24, 1967 A-2190
55
46 February 28, 1967 A-2191
55
47 February 28, 1967 A-2192
55
48 March 8, 1967
A-219~
55
49 lIarch 8, 1967 A-219
5550 ~.arch 16, 1967 A-2195
5551
• Not Delivered A-2196
5552
March 16, 1967 1-2197
Rent81s: up to March 20, 1967.
It is regretted that CP has been unable to furnish a rental
revision at this time.
I
]2UNJEJltA~ JG JLJltA~J[N
I
It was with deep sorrow that Canadians witnessed the passing
of their Governor-General, Gener81 Georges P. Vanier, on [larch 5.
1967, at the age of 78. As part of the ceremonies to honour this
great Canadiqn, a special CN train was created to carry him from
Ottawa to ~uebec City on March 8, 1967. The consist, which did not
return as one unit, is shown below.
Diesel Unit
Diesel Unit
Diesel Unit
Steam Generator
Baggage
Coach
Diner
Parlour Car
Business Car
Government Car
Car
Roomette-sleeper Val
Government Car
Government Car
6519
6624
6525
15
4
67
9105
5
44
5
1353
Caribou
94
100
Acadia
DAmour
2
1
For the press -eQuipped with tables
occupied
occupied
occupied
occupied
by Mr. Diefenbaker.
by the Primeminister.
by Chief Justice Tashereau
by ~adame Vanier.
The train left Ottawa at 1300, passed Coteau at 1.422, and IIir.
arrived in Montreal at 1515. Crews were changed and the train left ~
at 1530. It W8S due into Quebec. City at 1930.
CANADIAN 93 R A I L
GOVEHNTJENT OF ONTARIO
The following GO units were returned to GMDL for finishing and
repainting on the dates shown. (Information courtesy Charles
De Jean).
601 -February 14, 1967
602 -Feb~uary 17, 1967
603 -Febru8ry 28, 1967
by Derek Booth
News contributors to this issue: E. Johnson
~ CP has been granted permission by the Board of Transport Commis­
sioners to discontinue operation of QCR trains 1, 2 and 4 between
Sherbrooke and Quebec City via Thetford Mines, Vallee Jonction
and Ste. Marie. QCR 1 operates daily leaving Sherbrooke at 8:00
a.m. and arriving at Quebec at 11:45 a.m.; QCR 2 operates Sunday
only leaving Quebec at 3:15 p.m., and arriving at Sherbrooke at
7:00 p.m.; QCR 4 operates daily except Sunday leaving Quebec at
5:25 p.m. and arriving at Sherbrooke at 9:10 p.m.
~ The Quebec North Shore and Labrador Railway Company is applying for
a ten year extension of its mandate to build a line from Sept­
Iles, Que. to Ungava Bay. A bill making this proposal has received
approval by the Transportation Committee in Ottawa and now goes
back to the Commons for third reading. However, company president
W.J. Bennett said that a maximum of fifty miles might be added
to the 355 miles from Sept-Iles to Schefferville by 1977 which
would leave more than 150 miles to Ungava Bay. This northward
extension could be brought about by opening of new iron mines to
the north of Schefferville. Estimates have been made that the
ore currently being extracted from five open pit mines at Scheffer­
ville will be exhausted by 1970 thus necessitating new development.
~ The Board of Transport Commissioners has set a train speed limit
of 35 mph at both the CN and CP level crossings in Dorion for an
indefinite trial period.
~ CN vice-president of passenger sales and services, Jean Richer,
announced that CN expects its summer passenger traffic to be up by 35
to 40 per cent over 1966. In addition, by 1971 or 1972 CN
expects to make its passenger service, a constant money loser,
break even.
~ Fairbanks Morse (Canada) Ltd. is building diesel hydraul1c loco­
motives for delivery to Guyana and India. Fifteen of the Canadian­
built units will be delivered in the next eighteen months.
~ CP is reported to be making available a l1mited number of
business cars for private use for trips to Expo 67. The cars
are air conditioned, sleep six to eight, have a lounge dining
room-bar, kitchen and two stewards. The cost ••• ? Says Fred
Davidson, of CPs passenger service in Edmonton, … it wont
be cheap. Anyone who has to ask how much, cant afford it.
~ CN recently announced that two 17-roomette sleeping cars (known
as OCS Expo Cars No.1 and No.2) will be parked in the Bona­
venture Yard in downtown Montreal during the Expo months to
provide accommodation for CN personnel travelling on Company
business to Montreal between April 1 and October 31.
CANADIAN 95 R A. I L
• CF and CN have announced plans to eliminate duplication of tele­
communications services. At present about fifty communities have
duplicate CN and CF telegraph services and under the terms of the
new plan one of them will be eliminated. In no cases will these
communities be left without telecommunication services, nor will
rates be affected.
• {ord has been received from Edmonton that Northern Alberta Railways
No. 73, which was donated to the CRHA in 1964, has moved under its
own power –the first CRHA steam engine to do so. The former
N.A.R. 2-8-0 has been stored at the Edmonton Transit Systems
Cromdale Shops and has been restored by the Rocky Mountain Branch
of the Association.
a Montreals IV/etro System –originally opened last October 14th,
has now been completed to the extent of present projection. Line
No. 1 was completed eastward to Frontenac late last year, while
Victoria and Bonaventure stations at the southern end of Line 2
were opened during March. Line No.4, under the St. Lawrence
River from Berri-de Montigny to Longueuil, via St. Helens Island
and the site of Expo 67, was opened for passenger operations on
April 1st.
• CN is currently converting the conventional underframes on 250
steel box oars to cushioned underframes at the Transcona car shop.
Door openings in these cars are being widened from the original
six feet to nine feet. Object of the conversion is to faCilitate
loading and give greater protection to newsprint and other high­
class commodities. All the cars will be renumbered after their
conversion.
CIJ NEW Pas senger S ervices
A new main-line passenger
which has had only indiffer.
past thirty-five years or
National Railways durinfl
,
b- ,
-Q.1.b-<;> ,,,},
;0 v..;)-(/)
This is the plan~
the ON intends to r.
;:;.i:1 01:,. ~<;> ….,~ (/)
~o, l> –<: (/)
~1~~s ~~~lceand
MoGivney Junct
,;p )< , CI o~ b-~ ~(/)
_…. b-
v
<;> <;> y •
C)~ c. ~y 0..;)-~ ~ Of?
~ ., b-v <;> b-:-y
CJ~ ~. ~ b-b-<;> ~b-, ,(/) 4> ,ting be tween
~4; (/)l, , 0<;> 4 l, …., C)«-..;)-41<;> .nded to Gaspe, PQ
r§:: ?p 0. 0:YyQ..;)-:Q….,0 0. 11ne. In making
() c:.~ ….,(/) –<:lt~ CJ~ ~ b-<;> ,ms Atlantio Region
~:) ~ o.(/) .. ~.& CI:9 services in future
;.-0-Q.°..;)-<;> ..,,4>0.0~~Y oY ~CI ..leveloped by the oommu-
-;0 –<: ~ 0-<: <;> -Q.((/)
…., b-~ :Yb-(/) ~ •
..k0<;> <;> ~ CJ ~ Q CJ~ <;> ,lew train services will in-
y ~ ,,0 lning ••• pla tforms will have to
(/)~ -;b-y 0 :9 :Y improved. Nearly two hundred
<;> b- {t ~(/) #,..,, CIb-• trained to man the new trains;
, (/)-<: ~ <;> ,,~ <;> ~ ,, be found for the trains from CNs
~ ~: .nsion of THE CHALEUR will eliminate
CJ (/)<;>..,,It CI b-..$ <;>4i,o on the line between Matepedia and
0. ~(/) <;> 0. ~ first-class passenger train. Sinoe CIf
b-<;>b-b- 0 (/)0.c(/) .ue fares there has been a renaissanc e of
,,-<: ;.-+ 1Y .ease in traffic created by these fares ha3
4(/) ~ • for inoreased passenger services. I hope
,<;> .. !rains will enable many looal people to travel
~~ .r events, and show that rai lways are as muoh
.cure as of its past..
Ysee, the Red and White days are low fare days. So if we wait,
and deadhead on a Blue day, well save a lot more money.
THE FINAL TRAM TO DIXIE (Cover Photoeraph)
MTC 2002, one of the double-ended cars of the 1900 series, wrote
finis to streetcar service on the Lachine Extension route on the
night of May 9th, 1952. The car is shown approaching the Dixie
terminus of the line, just a fel short trips before tram service
was terminated forever.
CANADIAN RAIL: Published monthly (except July/August combined) by
the Publications Committee, Canadian Railroad Historical
Association, P.O. Box 22, Station B, Montreal 2, Canada.
Subscription includes Associate Membership: $4.00 annually.
PUBLICATIONS C0l1HITfEE:
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL:
ASSOCIATE EDITOR:
}ill!lS EDITOR:
r~LlTI3ERSHIP EDITOR:
POWER EDITOR:
DISTRIBUTION:
ME}1BERSIlIP ClIAIm~AN:
D.R. Henderson, Chairman Anthony
Cleeg
Will iam Pharoah
11illiam Pharoah
Anthony CleGG
Derek Booth Derek
Boles
Murray Dean
John W. Saunders
J. A. Beatty
ASSOCIATION REPIillSEmATIVES:
We hope you will visit
expo67 {f(~
MONTREAL~ AJ-V-CD
APR.28 -OCT. 27.1967
OTTAWA VALLEY: Kenneth F. Chivers, Apt. 3, 67 Somerset st. W., Ottawa, Ont.
PACIFIC COAST: Peter Cox, 2936 W. 28th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C.
SASKATCHEWA}~: J. S. Nicolson, 2306 Arnold St., Saskatoon, Sask.
ROCKY ~10UNTAn~: V.P. Coley, 11243 -72nd Ave., Edmonton, Alta.
FAR EASTI W.D. McKeOlm, 900 Senriyama (Oaza), Suita City, Osaka, Japan.
BRITISH ISLES: John H. Sandern, 67 Willo, lay, Ampthill, Beds., Eneland.
Copyright 1967 Printed in Canada on
Canadian paper

Demande en ligne