THE RECENT RETIREMENT of British Railways
locomotive No. 46100 and its preservation at one
of Butlins holiday camps in Great Britain brings
to mind the triumphal tour which this engine,
then London Midland & Scottish Railway No. 6100
Royal Scot, made through the United States and
Canada in 1933, in connection with the exposition
at Chicago. Pullin~ an eight-car representative
consist of British first-and third-class rolling
stock, the locomotive travelled 11,194 miles in
six Canadian provinces and twenty-three of the
United States of America, between May 1 st and
November 12th, 1933. The train was exhibited at
eighty localities, the L.M.S. later claiming that
3,021,601 persons visited it officially; of these
2,074,348 passed through it during its five month
stay at the Century of Progress Exposition in
The project of conveying a whole train from
the old world to the new was entirely without
precedent and necessitated the transatlantic
shipment of ten separate units of railway equip
ment aggregating five hundred tons. The trip was
planned and carried out as a promotional venture
by the L.M.S., aided by a score of North Amer
ican major railways who provided pilots, secur
ity staffs, fuel, servicing and display facilities
at the various stops.
Left: A characteristio damp morning in the Fraser
Canyon, October 28th,1933. Low-hanging clouds
canopy the Royal Scot as it twists its way
eastward from Vancouver a few miles below North
Bend, B.C., on Canadian Pacific rails.
Page 162 Canadian Rail
In planning the venture. the L.M.S. had no precedent by which to be guided.
It is true that many locomotives manufactured in Great Britain had made the
one-way trip across the Atlantic for use in Canada and in the United States. As
recently as 1927. the Great Western Railway of England had sent its famous
4-6-0 King George V to the Fair of the Iron Horse at Baltimore. Maryland.
and it had returned to England at the close of the display. No one had ever ship
ped a complete train over such a distance. with the expectation of operating the
train for many thousands of miles. estranged by distance from the persons and
facilities familiar with it and therefore best equipped to keep it in running con
dition. with this in mind. a great deal of care went into the selection of the loco
motive. and. as the intent was to show a typical train. it was not felt that the unit
selected should necessary be the largest or the newest. Accordingly. it was de
cided to choose a locomotive of the Royal Scot class. a three-cylinder. simple
4-6-0. designed under the direction of Sir Henry Fowler.
FIfty of these locomotives. L.M.S. Railway Nos. 6100 to 6149 had been built
at the Companys Crewe Works in 1927. followed by twenty more. Nos. 6150 to
6169. in 1930. Equipped with 81 driving wheels and carrying 250 pounds press
ure. the Royal Scot class were capable of an impressive turn of speed in the
400-mile run from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh. despite two major climbs
at Shap and Beattock. In fact. the summer schedule averaged 55 miles per hour
for the London-Glasgow journey. including one stop to change engines at Carlisle
and another to separate the Edinburgh and Glasgow portions of the train at Sy
mington. While it was desirable. for publicity purposes. that the class name
sake locomotive. No. 6100 Royal Scot. should accompany the train. it was de
termined that the best mechanical record was held by one of the 1930 engines.
No. 6152 Kings Dragoon Guardsman. Accordingly. 6100 and 6152 were taken
to Crewe. exchanging numbers and names: 6152 became 6100j 6100 became 6152.
The exchange was permanent. and locomotive 46100 which was recently preserv
ed is the locomotive which was built in 1930 as 6152. but which came to America
This done. eight passenger cars were selected to form the train:
First Class Corridor Vestibule
First Class Sleeping Car
Third Class Vestibule
Third Class Corridor Brake
First Class Lounge Car
First Class Corridor Brake
Third Class Sleeping Car
Electric Kitchen Car
L.M.S. personnel selected to accompany the Royal Scot train in North Am
erica were headed by Claude O.D. Anderson. works superintendentj the other two
senior officers were Messrs. Thomas D. Slattery. assistant to the vice-president
and T.C. Byrom. research assistant to the Chief Commercial Manager. who act
ed as liaison and pUblicity officer for the tour. The operating staff comprised
William Gilbertson. driver j Clifford Wood. mechanic and fitter j John Jackson
and Thomas Blackett. firemen.
A Montreal Harbour crane unloads one of the Scots
eight passenger cars from the C.P.S.S. Beaverdale.
Canadian Rail Page 163
Page 164 Canadian Rail
Arrangements were made to ship the train on board the Canadian Pacific St
eamships freighter Beaverdale from Tilbury Docks, London. While the pass
enger cars comprised deck cargo, four vehicles forward and four aft, the loco
motive and tender were loaded into the ships hold. Owing to restricted openings
in the hatches and the necessity to tilt the locomotive at a 45
angle in order to
clear, it was decided to separate the engine into two major parts for shipment,
one half comprising the frame, wheels, cylinders, etc., and the other, the boiler
and firebox. The ships decks were equipped with tracks to take the passenger
cars. Interestingly enough, the rails used for this purpose were of the inverted
Early in April 1933, the loading was effected at London and the ship set sail.
En route across the Atlantic, three days of storms were encountered and, taking
no chances, the ships master headed his vessel into the wind. These precaut
ions taken, the voyage proved otherwise uneventful, the Beaverdale sailing into
the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and up the Saint Lawrence River, dropping anchor in
Montreal harbour on April 21st, 1933.
Unloading at Montreal was effected immediately and the engine (in sections)
and cars were whisked away to Canadian Pacific Railways Angus Shops for ass
embly and tests. The running trials ensued and included a round trip to Farnham,
Que., during which the train, with Driver Gilbertson at the throttle and a CPR
pilot with him on the footplate, attained a speed of 75 miles per hour:
The Royal Scot train was officially unveiled to the North American public
at Windsor Station, Montreal, on May 1st, 1933, where 18,500 people went through
it. Those acquainted with British locomotive practice would have noted two very
prominent departures necessitated by the North American tour. The locomotive
WaS equipped with a standard Canadian Pacific locomotive bell mounted on its
pilot, and an electric headlight mounted on top in front of the smokebox. A wood
en pilot would later be fitted for the run through the Rockies to Calgary.
THE PRE-EXPOSITION TOUR
The little English train left Montreal the following day, May 2nd, at 6 ;00 AM,
proceeding to Ottawa over Canadian Pacific railsj a speed of 73 m.p.h. was att
ained on this stretch, and augured.well for the tour as a whole. The arrival in
the capital of Canada was greeted by a crowd of 70,000, headed by the Governor
General and Lady Bessborough, Prime Minister R.B. Bennett and members of
his Cabinet. The route lay thence by CP through Peterborough to Toronto. After
display in the Ontario capital and at Hamilton, the Royal Scot crossed into the
United States at midnight, May 4th, at Niagara Falls, with 10,000 people waiting
in the pouring rain to see it pass.
From Buffalo, the train turned eastward along the New York Central main
line through the Mohawk Valley, stopping at Rochester, Syracuse and Utica erl
route to Albany. The Boston &. Albany was then followed to Boston, with stops at
Springfield and Worcester on-the way. New Haven rails were used from Boston
to New York, with stops at Providence and New Haven. New York city provided
82,770 visitors who passed through the train to the accompaniment of bagpipes.
It then left for a reception by 24,000 persons at Philadelphia, by way of Newark
and Atlantic City. Its course then lay via Wilmington and Baltimore to the U.S.
capital, Washington, where 32,000 more people filed through the eight-car train.
The Royal Scot turned back into Pennsylvania, visiting York and Harrisburg,
Above: The cargo vessel Beaverdale approaching Mont
real Harbour, photographed from the Jacques
Cartier Bridge on April 21st, 1933. Note the
passenger coaches carried as deck cargo.
Below: Part of a crowd of nearly 20,000 British Colum
bians who visited the British train as it stood
on display at the C.P.R. station in Vancouver.
where it posed on the Susquehanna Bridge with the Broadway Limited hauled by
Pennsylvania Railroad 4-6-2 No. 5436. The course then lay along the PRR main
line to Pittsburghj those accompanying the train experienced some elation at the
unaided negotiation of the famed Horseshoe Curve west of Altoona. Four vi£its
in Ohio, Youngstown, Akron, Columbus and Dayton, culminated at Cincinnati
where 30,000 viewed it. At this point, the scheduled tour was curtailed, on May
24th, to allow the train to proceed to Chicago, due to an advance in the Exposition
The L.M.S. later recorded proudly that the train arrived at the Exposition
grounds at 5 :56 AM on May 25th –four minutes ahead of schedule, having visited
thirty cities in eastern Canada and the United Statesj covering 2,329 miles in the
processj and being inspected by 531,330 visitors. [t was estimated that for every
counted visitor going through the train, ten persons saw it, either stopped or on
its way. Its schedule was widely publicized in advance of its passing, and spec
tators crowded small stations, crossings and bridges to see the British visitor
pass thlough. In many localities, school children were given holidays and half
holidays, and the whistles of lineside factories and other trains sped the Royal
Scot on its way.
Chicagos Century of Progress Exposition opened on May 25th, 1933. The
British train found a place at the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad exhibit.
alongside a modern Burlington train headed by 4-6-4 locomotive No. 3000, and a
typical Nineteenth Century train with a woodburning locomotive. On the first
day, no less than 17,227 persons passed through the exhibitj this pace was sus
tained and the train welcomed its millionth visitor since arrival in North America
on August 3rd, when Miss Caroline M. Pierce of Massachusetts was feted by the
presentation of an oil painting to her, depicting the Royal Scot and the Burlington
trains side by side. The painting was autographed by the Chairman of the London
Midland and Scottish Railway, Sir Josiah Stamp, and by the President of the C.B.
& Q.R.R., Mr. Ralph Budd. Mr. Budd personally made the presentation.
It had been intended that the Royal Scot train should return direct from
Chicago to Montreal at the close of the Exposition, with a few stopovers en routej
the visit of the British train created so much sensation and interest, however.
that repeated requests were made to the L.M.S. to have it make a tour of the
West, before returning to England. In order that this tour might take place in
reasonable weather, before the advent of winter. the Chicago Exposition author
ities graciously consented to let the train leave before the close of the Fair. and
on October lith, it left the midwest metropolis on a tour that would take it 8.562
miles to the Pacific Coast and return, visiting 41 cities and towns. A total of
2.074.348 people had passed through the train during its five months stay at the
Century of Progress Exposition.
THE POST-EXPOSITION TOUR
The train left for its wes tern tour from Chicagos Union Station at 8 :30 AM on
October 11th. The London Times observed that this event II will be a lifelong
memory to those who travelled in the train. or in the Burlington train which es
corted her on an adjoining track, side by side, to Aurora. A broadcast farewell.
a Scots piper, a send-off by Mr. Rufus Dawes. president of the Century of Prog
ress Exposition, scores of railway executives and chief officers. much waving
and craning of necks on the part of arriving commuters (season-ticket holders
Monue21 to CbicaIO, via
o II> I:l II> P-… II> ;::l :0 II> … ….. >cf II> (I) I- 0-….,
Canadian Rail Page 169
we should call them). and she slipped gently from under the roof of the great
station Over which tower many-storeyed office buildings. All the school children
had been given a holiday. and for mile after mile Chicago. old and young. lined
the track. cheering. waving. and shouting. Locomotives and factories whistled
and hooted salutes almost continuously to Aurora. 40 miles away. Few Royalties
have received such spontaneous welcomes or farewells.
At Mendota. it is recorded that children placed copper coins along the track
for a distance of half a mile. to be flattened by No. 6100 and its train. and later
treasured in memory of the spectacular visit. Upon arrival at Bloomington. the
first exhibit stop. police reported that the handling of the crowd presented more
difficulties than any other public demonstration. including strikes. that they had
• ever experienced. The train then turned east to visit Terre Haute. Indianapolis
and Louisville. omitted in the curtailment of the pre-Fair tour. Visitors started
forming at Terre Haute by sunrise and the lineup was 1.000 feet long by 8 AM.
Indianapolis station proved itself incapable of accomodating all who wished to
visit and in Louisville. special streetcars had to be put on to accomodate the de
mand. resulting in a traffic jam at the railway station.
From Louisville. the train turned west in earnest. heading for Denver and
the Rocky Mountains with stops at St. Louis. Kansas City. Topeka and Wichita.
Its course then lay via the Missouri Pacific where the only trouble on the whole
trip was encountered. At Hoisington. Colo •• the locomotive was supplied in error
with soft. slack coal instead of the anthracite for which it was designed. Steaming
trouble ensued. culminating in a road failure near Eads. Colo. The train was
taken in charge by a Missouri Pacific locomotive and crew and hauled to Pueblo.
where refuelling provided proper coal. enabling the train to proceed indepen
dently once again. The Denver & Rio Grande Western RR took no chances. and
provided a locomotive to follow the Bri.tish train from Pueblo to Denver.
After visiting Denver. the train returned to Pueblo then headed west over the
main line of the D.& R.G. W. through the Royal Gorge and Over Tennessee Pass
to Salt Lake City. whence the Los Angeles & Salt Lake was used to Los Angeles
with an intermediate stop at Las Vegas. In the film capital. screen celebrities
held a breakfast party on board the train. and child star Jackie Cooper had his
picture taken on the footplate. The coast route was followed up to San Francisco;
north of that city. on October 23rd. an automobile cavalcade followed the train on
a parallel highway. Stops were made at Dunsmuir. Portland and Seattle. before
the train headed back to Vancouver and Empire territory by way of the Great
Northern to New Westminster. The weather abided by the precedent set when
leaving Canada at Niagara Falls –as the Royal Scot re-entered the Dominion.
the rain was falling in torrents. At New Westminster. the Canadian Pacific was
followed to Coquitlam. then into the C.P.R. station at Vancouver arriving there
at 1 :05 AM Friday. October 27th.
BACK TO THE EAST –AND ENGLAND
Now 6.000 miles from its home works at Crewe. the Royal Scot was exhib
ited to 19.885 British Columbians from 9 AM to 9:30 PM on October 27th. Those
visiting in the morning noted the absence of the locomotive. which had moved to
the Drake Street shops to be equipped with a wooden pilot for the trip across the
Rockies by the C.P.R. main line. The engine returned to Track 4 at the station.
and its train. in the afternoon. Canadian Pacific officials had been watching the
trains progress through the mountains in the United States with considerable
Page 170 Canadian Rail
interest, and Messrs. W.G. Stenason, Master Car Builder, and A.H. Cuthbert,
General Air Brake Inspector, had accompanied the Royal Scot from Kansas
City to Salt Lake City. Possibly the incident at Eads, Colo., had created some
misgivings about the ability of the train to make schedule speed through the
Canadian Pacific Rockies, as the railway announced that the Royal Scot
would be assisted by CP locomotives through the mountains. The LMS staff in
attendance were not in favour of such an arrangement and Driver Gilbertson
would have none of it. In deference, the railway arranged to have standby loco
motives placed at division points, but the Royal Scot was allowed to proceed
on its own.
While in Vancouver, the engine crew and mechanical staff were tended a din
ner in the Oval Room of the Hotel Vancouver, by the Engineers, Enginemen and
Fireman, Trainmen and Railway Clerks brotherhoods. At the same time, Mr.
Byrom, representing the L.M.S •• addressed a luncheon of the Transportation
Division of the Vancouver Board of Trade. While this was going on, the crowds
visiting the train extended in a line out of the station, then along Co:rdova and
Water streets. The visit of the train elicited more than the usual quota of nos
talgia from the many British Columbians of British extraction.
By the following morning. the Royal Scot was threading the canyon of the
Fraser River above Yale under low-hanging clouds, its shrill whistle flinging an
audacious challenge to Hell Gate and the White Canyon of the Thompson. On Sun
day. it reached Revelstoke. where church services were retarded in order not to
interfere with the trains brief stop there, and on to the east it proceeded, up
the valley of the Illecillewaet and through the Connaught Tunnel. The sharp re
verse curves on this section necessitated loosening the screw couplings and
giving the train some unaccustomed slack. but this was the only concession to
the rigours of operation of an eight-car passenger train by a small 4-6-0 loco
motive weighing only 100 tons light, and having 81 driving wheels! A short
visit was made at Field. then the train climbed the Kicking Horse, Over the Con
tinental Divide. and made a swift run into Calgary where its pilot was removed.
Stopping at Moose Jaw and Regina. the Royal Scot remained on Canadian
Pacific rails as far as Winnipeg. whence it detoured back through the United
States once more, passing through Minneapolis. St. Paul. Madison and Milwaukee.
Chicago was passed again. and Battle Creek, Lansing, Detroit and Flint conclud
ed the trains stops in the United States. It came back into Canada through the
St. Clair Tunnel and remained on Canadian National trackage for the remainder
of the way back to Montreal. The return trip was punctuated by showings at
London. Stratford, Guelph. Toronto. Oshawa and Belleville. It being now Novem
ber 11th. the crew participated in a wreath-laying ceremony at the Cenotaph in
Kingston where. incidentally. the 3.000.000th visitor passed through the train.
A brief stop at Brockville was the only interruption in the trip back to Montreal;
the train crossed from CN to CP tracks at Dorval and arrived at Windsor Station
characteristically. two minutes ahead of schedule. The first act of Driver Gil
bertson as he stepped froln the cab. was to place a second Remembrance Day
wreath on the Canadian Pacific war memorial in Windsor Station concourse.
The arrival at Montreal was made with a foot of snow on the ground, the
temperature being the coldest experienced by the train and its crew in its visit
to North A.merica –eight degrees above zero. It had experienced the warmest
temperature. 110 degrees, at Las Vegas, Nevada.
Building The Royal Scot 6100.
Some views of the
Royal Soot and
train, from the
Railways Magazine August –
Cafeteria car on The Royal Scot.
Looking out the
window of The Royal Scot.
On the following day, the train was displayed on CN rails west of Bonaventure
Station, near the Mountain Street bridge. The author waited in the cold with his
father to visit it, among the last of mOre than three million visitors in what the
parent London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company aptly called, the Triumph
of the Royal Scot. Shortly afterward, the train was returned to Angus Shops for
the reverse process of preparing it for shipment back to England. It sailed, with
its crew, on the Beaverdale on November 24th, after having run 11,743 miles
in North America. The elaborate precautions taken against mechanical failure
were vindicated, and several tons of spare parts which accompanied the Royal
Scot were shipped back to England untouched. In retrospect, the efforts of
police and security officers and, in Canada, the Boy Scouts, who assisted in
watching the interjor of the train while visitors filed through, were most comm
endable. No noticeable damage was done to it, though the L.M.S. was relieved of
no less than 500 electric light bulbs surreptitiously unscrewed as souvenirs -
this worked out at about one light bulb for every 6.000 visitors. One wonders
whether any of these souvenirs have survived to this time!
The freighter tied up at Tilbury Docks. London, on December 5th, and the
LMS contingent said goodbye to Captain Murray. The sequel to the impressive
achievement carne a few months later when, preparatory to taking the Royal
Scot out of E.uston Station, London, on its regular journey, Driver William Gil
bertson was awarded the Medal of the Order of the British Empire by command
of His Late Majesty King George V.
William Gilbertson passed to his reward a number of years ago, and now the
locomotive with which he made international railway history thirty-two years
ago, has been relieved of its duties. It is to be regretted that a subsequent re
building undergone by all of the members of the Royal Scot class has left the
former No. 6100 with a different appearance than it had during the 1933 visit; but
it is encouraging to know that its unique record has not gone unnoticed in Britain
resulting in its preservation at Skegness by Mr. William Butlin. Visitors from
Canada or the United States might mOst appropriately pay a visit of respect to
the Royal Scot in what we hope will prove a perpetual retirement!
ACKNOWLEDGMENT: The author desires to express his particular
thanks to Mr. Edward H. Livesay of Victoria, BC, long a contributor
to British railway engineering periodicals, for lending his file of news
paper clippings on the subject of the Royal Scot visit. [desire also
to thank Mr. H.T. Coleman and my other friends in the Public Relations
Department of the Canadian Pacific Railway, for ferreting out old photo
graphs to supplement Mr. Livesays no tes.
Notice of meeting
The November meeting of the Canadian Railroad Historical
Associa tion will be held Wednesday, Nov. 10th at 8100 pm
a t the McConnell Enginp.ering Building, McGill Vni versi ty,
Montreal. Feature: Auction of Railroadiana
The December meeting, Dec. 8th at 8: 15 pm at the same 10-
ea tion, will he a II Pot-pourrj, of Colour Slides. II Ilore
details next month.
for mariners it was a headache
National Railways recently announced a 827 million project to im
prove rail access to the northern side of Vancouver Harbour. Instead of the
present circuitous, backtracking and grade-crossing route through the City, the
projected route is direct and only a third of the length of the existing track
age. It achieves this by boring direct through a hjllside for two miles. The
north end of the tunnel will emerge at tide-water close to the existing Second
railway bridge, and will be taken across the Narrows on a new bridge.
The whole project is scheduled for completion by 1970.
of bridging Vancouver Harbour started in the 1910s, and it centred at
a spot called Second Narrows, where Burrard Inlet is only about uSO yards wide.
In 1922, a Burrard Inlet Tunnel and Bridge Company was formed to convert the wish
into reality. Two million dollars were raised to build a 3uu yard steel bridge,
plus trestle and fill approaches, with alSO-foot bascule opening span for ship
Work commenced in 1924. and by the end of that year, the piers and approach
works were completed. In the following year the structural steel was erected,
and the bridge was officially opened on November 7th, 1925. The deck within the
overhead trusses held the rail trackage and on each outer side was something that
looked like an overgrown sidewalk.
These extensions were, in fact, motor
roads for north and south bound automo
bile traffic. The bascule was not pla
ced in the bridge centre but toward the
south bank, presumably where the great
est depth of water was found.
The Vancouver Harbour Conmissio~s
with their Harbour Terminal Railway were
responsible for mOving all rail traffic
across the Bridge, but were tardy in
making use of the connection, and did
not link it with North Vancouver by 3
miles of track until December, 1927.
Rail was extended to the Pacific Great
Eastern Railways terminus in April,
extensions were, in fact, r
motor roads. 1I
the north end of the tunnel will emerge at tide-water
about the centre of this view.
The bridge undoubtedly stimulated the development of North Vancouver, but
for mariners it was a headache. The tides are very strong at this point and to
compli.cate mattera, there is a river estuary at the north-east corner of the
Bridge. Present day charts read Currents run 6 to 7 knots at Springs –when Seymour
River is in freshet it causes a cross current towards the S. Shore.
The result for ships was difficulty in navigating the bascule opening, and
in 1928, a 7000 ton freighter collided with the bridge, damaging both itself and
the structure. This incident was repeated in 1930, destroying the centre span
and putting the bridge completely out of action. The Harbour Terminal Railway
put their rail car-ferry back into operation, and thereafter, until the bridge
was repaired, ferried about 10,000 cars per annum to the North Shore and back,
the North Shore at that time being a railway cul-de-sac.
Canadian Rai 1 Page 175
The Burrard Inlet Tunnel and Bridge Company was unable to finance the re
pairs, and on July 12, 1933, the title to the Bridge passed to the Vancouver Har
bour Commissioners, who spent about one million dollars in putting the bridge
back into operation. This was achieved by taking out the three-hundred-foot
damaged fixed span, and replacing it by a lifting span of 286 feet width, with
a clearance above high water of 140 feet. Thebascule span was left in place,
but was permanently anchored to its northern pier and is immovable. The result,
from a design point-of-view is a bridge curiosity, and anyone interested in the
subject is advised to go and see the bridge before its demolition in thfl ea r ly
The demolition of one existing pier, and its replacement by two others, was
started in August 1933 and completed by April 1934, -the steel work was finish
ed by early June. The reconstructed bridge was opened to road and sea traffic
on June 18th, 1934, and to rail traffic on August 2nd. Since then it has pro
vided more or less uninterrupted service.
from a design
• ••••••• a
point-of -view •• bridge curiosity
On January 1st, 1953, the Canadian National RaHways took over the opera
tions of the HarbourTerminal Railway (then owned and operated by the National
Harbours Board), and at the same time agreed to operate and maintain the bridge
in so far as railway traffic was concerned. The new road bridge was opened alo
ngside in August, 1960, and immediately took the bulk of the road traffic. The
railway bridge continued to take toll-paying auto traffic until April,1963; there
after, it has been used solely for rail transportation. This currently consists
of one round trip CN and CP freight per day, or about 50,000 cars in either dir
ection annually. No passenger trains have ever been operated across the Secon d
NarroVTs span. Under the bridge about 30,000 commercial vessels pass each year –
of which 5,532 required the lifting span to be raised in 1964 -about a dozen
On January 1st, 1964, the bridge became the outright property of t.he Cana
dian National Railways.
exist less than twenty moving-span rail bridges in B.C.; the Second
is the only lifting span, there are two bascules and about twelve
Canadian Rai 1
Montreals first subway train was delivered to
the Citys Metro on August 24th by Canadian Vick
ers Limited. It was a gala day for Montreal tra
nsit officials who inspected the first three-car
To the applause of hundreds of guests and workmen, cars 81-1502,
80-001 and 51-1501 made their debut. Mrs. Jean Drapeau, wife of
Montreals Mayor, cut a ribbon, a blue curtain was drawn aside, and
the first train was moved up and down the shop track at Vickers
plant. The train and the subway in general were blessed by Cardinal
Leger, who with
and Vickers of
ficials, was pre
sent on the in
hopes to be able
to publish add
stock at an early
courtesy of the
Ci ty of Montreal and
on the construc
tion of the Me
From SI. Helens Island to Notre-Dame Island, on line no. 4, the subway tunnel was
built in open cut between two provisional dams closing the south arm of SI. Law
A typical section of a station partly buill in rock. This is Cnmazie Station on line
2. Laying of track was under way when this photograph was taken.
The 369 cars of the Montreal Metro, 246 cars and 123 trailers, to circulate on lines
nos. 1, 2 and 4, are manufactured by Canadian Vickers, Ltd.
Page 178 Canadian Rail
Notes and News
a The Canadian Pacific Railway has ordered thirty-two high-speed
diesel freight locomotives, at a cost of $11 million. The units
3000 horsepower each –are the most powerful ever purchased by a
Canadian railway. The diesels will begin to enter service next
July and delivery from General Motors will be spread over six months.
The locomotives will boast pressurized engine rooms to keep out
dust and dirt, and will have turbochargers. They will have a C-C
wheel arrangement. Barring nothing unfortunate in the meantime,
delivery of the new units will swell CPs roster to 1098.
a Theres a rumour afoot that CN will also add to its locomotive
fleet soon; at least CN has achieved a major breakthrough with
respect to its existing power. Early in 1966, the railway will
begin installing electric toilets and air-operated water coolers
on its engines. It will take about nine years to completely
toiletize the diesel fleet. The toilets use locomotive electric
power to incinerate the wastes. (Engine crews may get quite a
charge from this latest innovation –Ed.) Cabooses will also get
toilet and water facilities.
a The City of London has swapped the London and Port Stanley Railway
for the Canadian National car shops and about eight acres of CN
land. CN is accepting the L&PS as a going concern. The City of
London will try to find an industrial tenant for the car shops and
may well find success before CN,should the latter try to find a
profit for the L&PS.
a CN is hiring 15 to 20 engineers to begin work on the Alberta re
sources railway. The men will plot the route from Solomon, on the
CN mainline west of Hinton, to a mining area 90 miles north. The
Province of Alberta is handling the financing of the sixteen-million
dollar railway ~lhich is being built by CN to open up the resource
rich northwest Alberta area.
a Work crews have begun levelling the right-of-way for CNs new St.
Clair River industrial line. The line will extend almost twelve
miles south from the Sarnia, Ontario, yard and will offer CN ser
vice to an extended potential industrial area in Moore and Sombra
a The Board of Transport Commissioners allowed CN to raise its fares
five cents per trip on its Mount Royal Tunnel and South Shore
commuter lines effective October 1.
a Canadian Pacific is adding sixteen new stops to the CANADIAN as
well as modifying eighteen conditional stops now made. The
thirty-four changes will lengthen the transcontinentals schedule
by about one hour. The new stops are: Vankleek Hill, Petawawa,
Mattawa, Britt, Ramsey, Sultan, Dalton, Franz and Heron Bay, Ont.,
Carberry, Man., Moosomin, Indian Head, Herbert and Maple Creek,
Sask., and Ashcroft, B.C .. Eighteen conditional stops now made to
entrain or detrain passengers to or from specified pOints will be
made in future regardless of the passengers origin or destination.
a As Canadas federal election campaign swings into high gear, op
position leader John Diefenbaker is doing most of his travelling
by train. Mr. Diefenbaker points out that he is a man of the
people and prefers to travel among the people –not several
thousand feet over the top of them.
a Hr. N. Kolodiazhny, deputy director of railway research in Russia
says th(.-t rocket trains are planned for express service between
Moscow and Leningrad and Moscow and Kiev and Minsk. The trains
will travel at 150 miles an hour. Trains already travel at 100
miles an hour on these routes. On the. drawing board is also a
monorail system to Siberia. Other research includes a magnetic
rail brake which could reduce stopping distances by forty percent.
a The Aluminum Company of America has developed an aluminum power
rail for mass-transit systems. The company announced that it
will test the power rail as well as aluminum commuter cars this
summer at a Westinghouse ElectriC Corp. experimental transit
system in Pittsburghs South Park. The system uses cars with
dual rubber tyres in each corner, riding on a concrete roadbed
and directed by guide wheels runring along bath sides of an I
shaped central rail. This aluminum conductor rail has a stainless
steel running surface.
X The railway car used to carry Sir Winston Churchills coffin after the
state funeral in England has reportedly been sold by British Rail to
the City of Industry museum, near Los Angeles, U.S.A. A number of
Britons are protesting the sale, and British M.P. Richard Marsh is,tak
ing the matter up with the Railway Chairman, it is quite obvious he
declares thR t the van has his tori cal interest and Bri tain should have
Since publication of CNs original renumbering scheme for RDC-1s
purchased from the B&M (Canadian Rail July 196.5) the railway has re
vised the order of re-numbering as follows:
B&M number CNR number reported CNR number to be
6107 D-lll D-116 6108 D-112 D-117 6110 D-113 D-112 6111 D-114 D-111 6116 D-l1.5 no
6119 D-116 D-l13
6121 D-ll7 D-l14
Numbers of RDC-9 units (94 psgr.cars) are as previously reported.
Five of these cars have been put into service without shopping -they
will be overhauled during the winter months.
The Budd demonstrator #2960 qas been purchased by the CN and will
carry the number D-l10.
Chesapeake and Ohio 9082 (RDC-3, 48 psgrs.) has also been acquired
by the National System and was in Montreal August 26th. It will be
As these, and previously-owned RDCs go through the ON shops for
overhaUl, they will be completely refurbished. Comfortable, reclin
ing sea ts, ·new baggage racks and improved lighting will be ins tal1ed
and the cars given a modern decor. A number of units will also be
equipped with snack bars.
Len Norris –Vancouver Sun
:..~.:.; :,.,.: :, ; … :-:~· … ~.~;8~;t: .
…. :. ;~:.~.:: ..
As I understand it, the original argument was that they couldnt handle both grain and
CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
Dfa6fid.(J 1932 • 13M 22 . Staticn 13 . ,5Wonirlal 2 Qllt6ec • 8n(Orpofa/tJ 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committe,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. SUbscription included
wi th Associate Membership: $4.00 annually.
CHAIRMAN, PUBLICATIONS COHHITTEE: David R. Henderson
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL: Anthony Clegg
John H. Saunders
Frederick F. Angus
Robert Half yard
OEFORE YOU MOVE-WRITE!
ADVERTISING MANAGER: S.S. Horthen
At lel1~1 5 week~ bcCorc you
mOC, Und us n lellcl, _ card,
or n P031-o(flce erlltnlc·ol.
aqod.,cu (orm IdUn, a, Lo1h your
om Rod yoor NEW nd.lrCl!Ic •.
Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 Hest 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
J.S. Nicolson, 2306 Arnold Street, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
V.H. Coley, 11243-72 Ave., Edmonton, Alberta
Hilliam D. McKeown, 900 Oaza Senriyama, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
John H. Sanders, 10 Church St., Ampthill, Bedsford, England