Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 155 1964

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 155 1964

Number 155 / May 1964
:-…………… 11 …………………………………………………….. :
••••• locomotive .5292 with a three-car
train was substituted for the single
unit diesel car ••••• and on October .5,
19.52, the Association ran its first
chartered steam-powered train.
: . ..
………. ………………………………………………………………… .

Canadian Ra i 1 Page 103
C N Passengers to find their
P I ace i nth e Sun. . .. Fe rro
eN recently offered tangible
proof that the skys the limit
when it comes to passenger train
luxury. Ten glass-topped pas­
senger cars have been acquired
from the Milwaukee Road, to meet
an increasing demand for accom­
modation on CN mainline trains.
It is quite Clear, said CN
Vice-president Pierre Delagrave,
that the response to our var­
ious campaigns to encourage use
of our passenger services, par­
ticularly the introduction of
the Red, White, and Blue system
of reduced fares, is developing
to the point where we are faced
with an immediate need for spec­
ialized equipment.
Six of the cars are the dis­
tinctive Sky Top sleeper-lounges
which were introduced on the
Milwaukee Roads Hiawathas in
1948 and 1949. The 8-double
bedroom -lounge cars were built
by Pullman-Standard, the dis­
tinctive lounge section being
copied from four parlor-lounge
cars deSigned and built in Mil­
waukee Road Shops. The cars
offer excellent visibility and
it is said that the lounge glass
can withstand a brick hurled at
110 miles per hour.
CN will refurbish the cars,
although Canadian Rail does not
yet know how extensively the in­
teriors will be altered. After
shopping, in late autumn, the
cars will be assigned to the
Ocean Limited and the Scotian,
between Montreal and Halifax,
and will apparently be called
Skyvlew cars. Specific CN
names and numbers are not yet
known; on the Milwaukee Road
the cars were:
12 -Alder Creek
14 -Arrow Creek
15 -Coffee Creek
16 -Gold Creek
17 -Marble Creek
18 -Spanish Creek
The other four cars acquired
by CN will introduce the ful1-
length dome to Canada. The cars
will be placed in service almost
immediately on some runs of the
Super Continental and the Panor­
ama,through the Rocky Mountains.
CN refers to the cars as Scen­
eramic double-deck cars, thus
avoiding a contradiction of not
too historic CN statements to
the effect that dome cars would
not be practical on the National
When built in 1952 by Pullman­
Standard, the cars gave Milwau­
kees Hiawathas the distinction
of having the first full-length
domes or Super Domes as they
were then called. The cars were
heralded as being the first of
their kind, with a number of in­
novations in car building as
well as car design.
The cars are 85 feet long and
the dome section is 73 feet 2
inches from seat end to seat
end. The dome seats 68 passeng­
ers against 24 in conventional
Two of the new types of passenger cars to be introduced to Canadian
travellers this year by the Canadian National System. Upper view
is of one of the full-length dome cars to be placed in service dur­
ing the coming summer. Lower photo shows a Sky-Top Lounge car, to
be added to the consist of the Ocean Limited and the Scotian, after
renovation in C.N. Shops. Other Photos Page 127
Page 104
Place in the Sun.
domes. The dome seats are non
reversing,~thus making it nec­
essary to turn the car. Below
the dome is dining and lounge
space. The dining-lounge sect­
ion, seating 28, and the all­
electric stainless-steel kitchen
have ample head room because
mechanical equipment for air
conditioning, lighting, fuel,
and water, usually under the
car, is accommodated at either
end of the car above the trucks,
thus permitting a lower car
floor. Passengers can walk
through the dome to get from one
Cana dian Rai 1
car to another without passing
through the lower level dining­
lounge section. The cars are
equipped with a public address
system for train announcements.
Super Domes carry Milwaukee
Road numbers 50 to 59, but it is
not known specifically which of
these numbers have been bought
by CN. It is known, though,
that these ten cars –six Sky­
view lounges and four Scener­
amic domes, will play no
small part in the skyward trend
of Canadian railway passenger
* C.N. says Sceneramio travel-view sea ts WILL be reversible.
Canadian Rail Page 105
SRring Timetable Review .
••• F. A. Kemp.
Canadian Nationals bright blue Folder All has already proven
to be a IIbest-seller
, as prospective passengers exhausted supplies
on the first few days of the schedule, which contains many new and
revised schedules in the most sweeping change since the inaugura~on
of the Super Continental II and The Canadian in April 19.55.
Standard bearer of the new trains is The Panorama, trains 9 and 10
between Montreal and Vancouver, 109 and 110 between Toronto
and Capreol. Advertised as a twinll of the Super Continental, it
will have similar equipment but a more leisurely schedule. It will
begin operation May 24th westbound from Montreal, Toronto and Win­
nipeg and eastbound from Vancouver.
liThe Ch~mplain, trains 23 and 24 (123 replacing 23 on Satur­
days) is a new 3t hour Montreal-~uebec service via the Drummonronlle
route and the ~uebec Bridge, using the stainless-steel equipment
purchased from the Reading Company and formerly used on the Crusa­
der. It will enter service June 14 and will have all seats reser­
ved. Only one intermediate stop will be made, at Ste.Foy (former­
ly called Bridge) in the western suburbs of Q,uebec City.
The IIChaleur, trains 61 and 62, will enter service between
Montreal and Campbellton, N.B. on June 14th, on the former schedule
of the Ocean Limited eastbound and as an advanced section of this
train westbound, relieving heavy summer traffic on the run. These
trains will run until September 19th.
The remaining new trains do not have official names, although
Train 75 was, for many years, knovm as liThe Forest City in trib­
ute to the City of London, through Which it passes en route from ~
ronto to Windsor. It has a running mate, No. 76, so that there
are now four through trains between Toronto and Windsor. Toronto
to Stratford train No.37 now runs through to Windsor, replacing 105 and 106
now goes through to Toronto via Brantford. Trains 81 and
82 form another new (or restored) Toronto -Sarnia service, with 81
running via Stratford. There are now ten Toronto -London trains,
four westbound via stratford, six via Brantford; three eastbound ~
Stratford, seven via Brantford.
An additional Hamilton -Niagara Falls Railiner trip will begin
operation June 21st, replacing trains 89-189 in one direction. It
will carry numbers 649-650.
Another Railiner round trip will be added May 24th, between
Regina and Saskatoon, when trains 625 and 626 will begin a connec~
ing service for The Panorama. Railiner trains 621 and 622 have
been extended to Prince Albert, replaCing trains 7 and 8.
The Jasper -Prince Rupert service will be completely revised
on May 25th, as overnight Jasper-Prince George trains 195-196 are
to be replaced by daytime trains 5 and 6 (with Parlor Grill cars),
while Railiners 695-696 will be replaced by overnight trains #11
and 12 between Prince George and Prince Rupert. Through Sleepers
and Parlor Grill cars will operate Jasper-Prince Rupert on the ~
.,..c … Oc,, …. .,
t~tllM ot fER
1tRIlM~l R~l ~~
Ca~,,-.. H.I-
c-M ….. su-GU~
M_pri….t .. I~.,..
,.1 … 1,101
Canadian Rail Page 107
Another Railiner round trip will be added May 24th, between
Regina and Saskatoon, when trains 625 and 626 will begin a connect­
ing service for liThe Panorama. Railiner trains 621 and 622 have
been extended to Prince Albert, replacing Trains 7 and 8.
The Jasper -Prince Rupert service will be completely revised
on May 25th as overnight Jasper-Prince George trains 195-196 are
to be repla~ed by daytime trains 5 and 6 (with Parlor Grill cars)
while Railiners 695-696 will be replaced by overnight trains 11
and 12 between Prince George and Prince Rupert. Through Sleepers
and Parlor Grill cars will operate Jasper-Prince Rupert on the days
that tri-weekly trains 11 and 12 are running. Tri-weekly mixed
trains 206, 289 and 290 between Prince George and McBride will also
be discontinued at this time.
Other service revisions have resulted in the Maritime Prov­
inces from the rescheduling of the Ocean Limited, train No.2,
which, after June 14th, will leave Montreal 3t hours earlier, its
schedule to Campbell ton being assumed by The Chaleur No. 62. Train
No. 104 from Campbellton to Moncton will be retimed to connect with
No. 62 at Campbellton. Trains 29 and 30 will replace Railiners 629-
630 Campbellton -Gaspe on June 14th, and will carry Buffet-parlor
cars, after several years absence. Saint John-Moncton Railiners
614, 623, 643 and 644 will change running times on the same date.
The Truro-Sydney Railiner, No. 602, will be rescheduled to connect
with the eastbound 1I0cean Limited at Truro, leaving insufficient
time for the usual trip into Halifax as Nos. 606-605, which will be
withdrawn for the summer. Overnight train 7-10 will leave Sydney
25 minutes earlier to provide a better connection at North Sydney
with the Newfoundland ferry service. which is also changing to a
daytime run in both directions for the summer months. Through
passengers from Montreal will use The Scotian to Truro, change to
No. 8 for North Sydney; board the ferry for the trip to Port aux
Basques; then get on No.2 liThe Caribou
• which is being reschedul­
ed to become a six-days-a-week serVice during the same period. The
daily mixed, 203 -204, will operate only once a week, on the days
that Nos. 1 and 2 do not run. Mixed trains 205-206 Clarenville­
Bonavista, 207-208 St.Johns-Placentia-Argentia, and 211-212 Brigus
Jct.-Carbonear will all run at different times during the summer
period. The St.Johns -Bonavista buffet sleeper will be withdrawn
during this time. All of these services will revert to their form­
er times and conditions on September 19th.
Returning to Central Canada for a few lines; the Levis-Ed­
mundston overnight trains 68-69 and 67-70, which ran twice weekly
during the winter and continued until the end of May last year,
were cut off at the end of April this year. Richmond-Quebec Rail­
iner 644 was retimed for an early-morning departure, eliminating
the connection from Montreal via this route, which is one of the
pool channels between Montreal and Quebec. Train 643 still pro­
vides a connection to Montreal. Baggage service has been elimin­
ated from both trains. The Portland train service will operate on
Saturdays only from July 4th to August 29th, with a morning depart­
ure from Montreal and an afternoon departure from Portland, with
arrival back in Montreal at midnight (11 p.m. Standard Time). A
Coach-lounge and a Coffee Shop car will run in addition to coaches.
The Lakeshore Express
Trains 7 and 8 between Montreal and
Toronto will run on a 5-hour, 59 minute schedule, the fastest ever
timed between these cities, with eight intermediate stops.
Page 108 Cana d ia n Ra i 1
A new
extension to a recently-built branch line to a new mine
in Manitoba has resulted in a new terminal for Mixed Trains 217 and
218, which hitherto have run between Flin Flon and Chisel Lake, and
now go on 8.2 miles farther, to Stall Lake.
On the Toronto-North Bay run, Trains 46 and 47 have been eli­
minated from the passenger schedules, as have their Ontario North­
land Railway connections, and the CNR Porguis-Cochrane trains 146
and 147. Instead, the CNR has added two trips to its bus service,
connecting at North Bay with Trains 41 and 44.
The Algoma Central Railway has also been bitten by the pass­
service bug, and has planned to begin a daily service between
Ste. Marie and Hearst on July 5th, to run until Oct. 11th.
is the first time that Sunday passenger trains have run on
railway for many years.
The Canadian Pacifics contribution to the passenger service
changes this year comes mainly in the field of removals rather than
additions. Trains 21 and 22 Toronto-Detroit, 321-372 and 379-328
Toronto-Buffalo, 325-326 Toronto-Hamilton and the Bala Special,
Toronto-MacTier have all been withdrawn. The two remaining Toronto­
Detroit Dayliners have been rescheduled and renumbered 337, 338,
339 and 340. Train 329, The Ontarian has been renumbered 321, but
is now the only train between Toronto and Buffalo.
The CPR timetable is one page shorter this issue due to the
elimination of Lethbridge-Spences Bridge trains 45 and 46 on Janu­
ary 17th. The remaining Medicine Hat-Lethbridge portions of these
trains have been renumbered 307-308. The only addition to the CPR
schedule is on the St. paul-Winnipeg service, where The Winnipeger
will have express and local sections between Glenwood and Winnipeg
during the period June 25-Sept. 8. These will carry numbers 107,
108, III and 112.
Time changes cause confusion as usual among Canadian Railway
passengers, and Canadian National devotes a page to explaining why
they stick to Standard Time for public schedules, by noting the
large areas of Canada which retain Standard Time all year round and
those which do not adopt Daylight Saving Time for the same period
as other communities. However, schedules in Prince Edward Island
and Newfoundland ~ shown in Daylight Saving Time.
mixed trains have disappeared on the new schedules in
addition to the Prince George-McBride trains already mentioned.
293-294 between Jasper, Alta., and Blue River, B.C., and 251-252
between Charlottetown and Tignish, P.E.I., have been withdrawn, the
latter on April 4th, although it was replaced by tri-weekly 220-241
between Summerside and Tignish and by except-Sunday 259-260 between
Summerside and Emerald Jct. Station lists for the three Eastern PEl
branch lines are still shown in the timetable, so we may assume
that the service will again be resumed next winter.
On reading the equipment lists for Canadian Nationals new
trains, one wonders where all of the parlor, dining, lounge, cafe­
teria and sleeping cars will come from. It is understood that car
shops across the country are working overtime to prepare sufficient
equipment for the summer services. The new trains on the schedule,
plus the usual influx of sleeper tours from the U.S. to Western
Canada should provide some interesting train-watching during the
C a na d ian R ail
Page 109
~ Rail Transportat
Weekend activity at the museum for the 1964 season has
now resumed on a large scale. While some work was performed on
every weekend during the winter, it is only with the start of
Spring that the major projects, especially tracklaylng, can be
undertaken. Already thls year four freight cars of ma~erial have
arrived at the museum. The flrst, a box car, contalned transfor­
mers and condult for the electric 11ghtlng system, and the remain­
lng –three gondolas –carried 100 tons of new 100-pound rall
complete with fastenings and tle plates, enough for more than half
a mile of track, a very valuable gift from Algoma Steel. The ral1
was unloaded on two weekends, the first belng April 4-5, and the
aecond, April 25-26, when an air-operated crane unloaded the third
gondola, and stacked the prev~ously unloaded rails more neatly.
Continued on next page
( Canada & Gulf Terminal photos illustrating Doodlebug to Tartigou
in April issue courtesy of Messrs. P. McGee, F. Angus, B. Biglow and
P. Murphy. )
Spring Timetable Review.
summer, as the wheat rush and the imported diesels did in the win­
Canadian Nationals new train The Champlain will be part of
the pool arrangements between Montreal and Quebec, and RED, WHITE &
BLUE fares will not be valid. However, this will mean that round
trips will be cheaper on weekends than under this plan. However,
the highly successful fare scheme has been extended into the Lake
St.John and Abitiba areas of the Province of Quebec, and RED, WHITE
& BLUE tickets are now available to Arvida, Chicoutimi, Senneterre,
Rouyn-Noranda and Cochrane. Canadian Pacifics FARESAVER plan was
modified on April 15th, and now provides fares equivalent to the
BLUE fares except for shorter distance travel, where fares equal to
the WHITE fares are provided for journeys on days other than Friday
and Sunday. This will give the Canadian National a slight advant­
age between competitive points, especially during May, which has 20
RED days. Neither railway quotes a through fare between Montreal
and Chicago, and such a fare must be difficult to construct, as it
involves three fare systems.
While the rearranged folders may be more convenient for those
using main line services only, they do require a lot of turning back
and forth for those tracing trips from main to branch lines in the
same territory. We hope for a more logical sequence of tables in
the next issue.
Page 110 Canadian Rail
For the benefit of those who have not been to the museum, a
brief description of the track arrangement will be helpful. The
present building is roughly parallel to the C. P. R. mainline, and
faces west. It has four tracks which are numbered from right to
left as one faces the building, i.e., track 1 is farthest south and
nearest to the C.P.R. Between track 1 and the southern boundary of
the property there is a space for one track. This will be called
track 0, and will afford outside storage for equipment, and may
eventually become part of a streetcar line around the property. To
the north of the building is the interchange track with the C.P.R.
Candiac spur, and between this and the northern boundary of the
property is space to erect the second building whioh will be the
same size as the present one, but will have six tracks closer to­
gether. For display purposes, equipment will be removed from two
tracks (e.g. 2 and 5), thus providing good visibility on one side
of the exhibits. The lead tracks for the new building will connect
with a track which branches off the interchange at a spot near the
north west corner of the first building. In addition, Track 0 will
be extended westward from its connection with the lead, and will
create about 300 feet of additional storage. All this work will
require eight SWitches, and the complete material for these has
been made available, out of scrap stock, by the Canadian Pacific
Although this description may sound complicated, it will
be easy to understand if you COME TO THE MUSEUM TO HELP WITH THE
SHow/Nt; TRACK N~ .•

2 I ~
__________ ::.:::.-:::E ___ ——-J ~~t
_. –. -. –. –. –. –. –. —..:..: rencoe– t~
Already a start has been made. Track 3, the only remain­
ing unconnected track from the building, has been straightened and
extended, and now awaits only the arrival of the switch parts be­
fore it is permanently joined to the interchange. Next will be the
construction of Track 0 and the ballasting and levelling of Tracks
3 and 4. When all this is done, the next job will be to build the
trackwork leading to the site of the new building. Already trees
have been cut down and a start made on grading the area so the
track can be laid quickly. Also on the agenda is a new access
road which will replace the present one which travels over private
property and is unsuitable for use by the visiting public. The new will require a bridge, and this is scheduled to be erected by
the Army during June. The opening of this road and general rear­
rangements and landscaping may make it possible to open the museum
to the public on a limited scale this summer, IF THE MUSEUM COMMIT­
Canadian Rail Page III
•.• O.S. Lavallee
Within the past few years, the retirement of wood-framed
railway passenger cars has resulted in a considerable decimation in
the ranks of wooden official cars, used as instruction cars and by
division superintendents. Many very interesting and historical
vehioles have thus been discarded, though it is fair to say that
the most interesting ones have been, or will be, kept by preservat­
ion groups.
Canadian Pacific has met the demand for official oars at
the divisional level which bas thus been created, by converting
eXisting steel observation-solarium or buffet-sleeping cars of
older design. Fifteen cars of the CAPE, FORT, and LAKE class
have been used. In addition, five passenger cars have been conver­
ted into instruction cars (42-44,46-47) as have four named official
cars formerly assigned to operating districts that were abolished
in 1960.
A complete list of these cars, by new number, follows.
It is interesting to note that the number 13 has been used to des­
ignate an official car for the first time since the Companys
New No.
6 8
17 18
31 32
43 44
Next page:
C:Onve rted From
Cape Ray 4/62
Cape George 5/62
Alberta 12/62
New Brunswiok 6/62
Ontario 6/62
Saskatohewan 6/62
Cape Race 5/63
Cape Hurd 1/63
Cape Cook 12/63
Lake OHara 8/62
Lake Megantic 6/62
Fort Coulonge 4/62
Fort Reliance 4/62
Fort Simpson 7/62
Fort William 4/62
Lake Cbamcook 7/62
Lake Huron 6/62
Lake Nipissing 5/62
Lake Ontario 4/62
1449 (first Class)5/62
1452 4/62
999 10/62
1308 2/63
1316 11/63
Natl Stl.Car/C.P.R.
II fI rr


Can. Car&Fdy./CPR
C. p. R.
Natl Stl.Oar/C.P.R.
fI If tI

C. P. R.


Natl Stl.Car/C.P.R.
1929 1930
1929 1926 1911 1927
1928 1928
1928 1924 1926
1929 1930
Northern Alberta Railways #13 heads north out of Edmonton r)
with a Barrhead freieht. Photo t~ken in the summer, 1959
by Mr. E. W. Johnson.

Canadian Rail
Page 113
The first quarter of 1964 saw preservation of prototype Canadian railway
equipment continue at a brisk pace. Two further Canadian Pacific steam loco-
motives. and another wooden official car were committed. as follows:
D-IO 4-6-0 No. 894 has been sold to Kitchener. Ont.. for preservation.
G-2 4-6-2 No. 2634. the last of its class. is the locomotive that interested
parties in the city of Moose Jaw are trying to preserve.
Official Car No.1!. at Brandon. Man •• built by CPR in 1893 as the sleeping
car Enoshima. has reportedly been sold to the Puget Sound Railway
Historical A ssociation of the U.S.A. Sale of No. 11 brings to six the num­
ber of such Canadian Pacific cars now preserved.
Of most interest to our Association was the donation of Northern Alberta
Railways 2-8-0 No. 73 by the Steel Company of Canada. No. 73. now at Edmon­
ton. is to remain there and be restored by members of CRHAs Rocky Mountain
Branch. possibly to operating condition. This engine. along with other NAR en­
gines. was purchased by Stelco subsidiary Premier Steel Mills Limited as scrap
but was fortunately left intact. It was built by Canadian Locomotive Company at
Kingston in October. 1927 (serial No. 1821) for the Edmonton. Dunvegan & Brit­
ish Columbia Railway. It has 22×28 cylinders. 56 driving wheels. carries 190
pounds boiler pressure. exerts 39.000 pounds tractive effort. and weighs 325.500
pounds in working order. Thus. another railway (Canadas third largest) be­
comes represented through the efforts of our Association. The Edmonton mem­
bers are understandably very keen about acquisition of No. 73. whose restorat­
ion will be aided by permission which Stelco kindly gave to permit parts to be
exchanged with other partially-scrapped units of the same class.
TROLLE Y WITH AN ALlAS OTC #6 is really #~6.
Ever since Ottawa Transportation Commission work equipment cars 6 and
423 arrived at the museum late in 1962. there has been a gnawing doubt in the
minds of members of the Railway Committee about the real identity of No.6.
which is now a rail grinder car. but was once a single-truck passenger car. and
can easily be restored as such. The number 6 was obviously a work car num­
ber. as the original passenger car 6 was a much smaller car. put in service
when Ottawa inaugurated one of CanadrJ.s earliest street railway electrifications
in June. 1891. A number of single-truck wooden passenger cars had been re­
tained at Rackliffe carbarn of the Ottawa Electric Railway until that facility was
burned more than twenty years ago. and two of them. Nos. 6 and 88 were con­
verted into work cars.
No.6 was practically identical to No. 88. and sO it seemed logical that its
number should bear a closer relationship. On the evening of April 14th. Fred
Angus and Orner Lavallee went to Delson with some paint remover. and a judic­
ious application on the bulkhead brought out the true number • .§6. Eventually.
when restoration of this interesting car is undertaken. the number will be rest­
ored. For the time being. however. No. 66 will remain under its alias. – 6 –
the number it has borne as a rail grinder for so many years.

r •
–Page 115 —

I o n s.

Continued from Page 83.
As time went on, patronage of the C.R.R.A. trips increased and
on October 5th, 1952, the Association ran its first chartered steam­
powered train. It had been planned to operate the reliable 15837
once more to Huberdeau in the Laurentians, but ads were placed in
the local newspaper.s and the response swamped the reservation depart­
ment. At the last minute –sometime between Saturday noon and Sun­
day morning –10com6tive 5292 with a three-car train was sUbstitut­
ed for the single-unit diesel car. The trip was a hugh success,both
financially and socially, and it was a tired but happy group of pas­
sengers who disembarked at Central Station later that day.
From then on, records were
crowds better trips more
made on almost every trip –bigger
interesting equipment and motive
On one occasion –the Fall Foliage Excursion to Rawdon behind
CN Mogul 674 –it seemed as if the Special train was not going to
make it back to Montreal. For some reason or another, the Armst­
rong turntable at Rawdon did not take kindly to the engine being
turned amid the gaze of several hundred spectators and refused to
make its usual half-revolution. The locomotive tilted rather pre­
cariously for a while, but after some skillful jockeying of the en­
gine, along with coaxing, pushing and pulling, the table was forced
around and 674 was able to complete its return journey.
Annual Fall Foliage excursions were augmented on several oc­
casions by some special event of local interest, such as the chair­
lift ride and boat cruise that were coupled with the trip over the
C.P.R. to Mont Tremblant in October, 1957. Another Canadian Pacific
trip –behind CP 489 to Foster, Knowlton, and Sutton, in September,
1956, –was the occasion for a fine banquet at the Hotel in Knowl­
ton, ~ue.
By the spring of 1958,excursion patronage had progressed to the
point where a double-headed C.N.R. special was chartered to accommo­
date the participants, and Excursion No. 38 was powered by CN 1165
and eN 1391. If truth be known, the leading engine came along prin­
cipally for the show,but it made an impressive sight and resulted in
Page 116
Canadian Rail
1165 being donated to the Association by the Canadian National Rail­
ways. Peak attendance was r~ached in September, 1960, when the CRIlA
and the CNR jointly sponsored a weekend of trips utilizing CN 6153.
This Labour Day Weekend group of outings was to have been Farewell
to steam on the CNR, although actually a few steam-powered specials
have been operated by the Railways since that time in the Toronto
area, between Edmonton and Camrose, Alberta, and for the Association
out of Montreal.
The most recent such outing, in October 1963, was from Montreal
to Victoriaville, ~ue. On this occasion, an open-top bus was char­
tered from Provincial Transport and partiCipants who had purchased
excursion tickets were given the option of riding the bus between
Montreal and Beloeil for a small surcharge. The bus and the steam
engine co-ordinated their speeds between Cannon Jct. and the Riche­
lieu River, enabling the bus passengers to obtain continuous photos
and movies of CN 6167 and train at speed.
Trips by and for the Canadian Railroad Historical Association
have had a generally successful history. There have been two or
three that were cancelled for one reason or another, but they have
been the exceptions, and merely pointed out pitfalls to be avoided
in future planning. The abandonment of street railway services, the
contraction of railway passenger services and the standardization of
motive power and rolling stock, make planning for future excursions
somewhat more difficult, but by no means prohibit their operation as
successful ventures.
A list of trips operated by the Canadian Railroad Historical
Association within the past six years, compiled by Hr. Ernest Modler
from his extensive records, concludes this resume of CRHA railway
and tramway excursions:
C.R.H.A. EXCURSIONS, 1958 to 1963,.
41 Feb.23/58 M.T.C.Special Car 2222
Ontario & Papineau-Conductor
Heiders retirement.
42 Mar. 2/58 O.T.C.
Car 855
Ottawa. Champagne-Bank-Pres­
43 Mar.29/58 M.T.C.
44 Mar.30/58
Car 1046
Engs .n65
Cartierville & Lachine.
Cantic & Hawkesbury.
June 8/58 M.T .c.
I! I!
July13/58 I! I! Car
Farewell to OntariO, David­
son & Rachel.
Montreal North-Test trip for
rebuilt open car.
Photographs: ••• continued
Page 114 –Two pictures by Paul McGee, which bring to mind
the happy recollection of our 1960 trips. The
upper shows OP 1201 and train at Mt.Orford, on
April 16th, 1960, while the lower photo shows a
ORHA Special headed by OP 2811, crOSSing the Ri~
deau near Merrickville on the following day.
Page 117 –Upper -Excursion No .38 was powered by CN 116.5
and ON 1391, pictured near Valleyfield, ~ue.
Lower -274 and 3.50, two cars which had an im­
portant part in the MTC Pageant on St.Catherine
Street. The CRHA co-operated with the
this Farewell Pageant.

Page 118
48 JUIY19/s8 It

49 Aug. 3 58

50 Aug.l01s8
It It
51 Aug.24 58

52 sep.13/s8

53 Oct. 4 58 C.P.R.
54 Oct. 51s8
C • N.R.
55 Dec.15 58 O.T.C.
56 Mar.15/59 C.N.R.Special
57 Apr.12/59 M.T.C.
58 Apr.19/59 M.T .C.
59 Apr.23/59

60 Apr.26/59 II II
61 Apr.26/59 II

62 May 2/ 59 O.T.C.(
63 Hay 10/59 C.N.R.
64 June 7/59 M.T.C.
65 June2l/59 II
66 June28/59 67 Aug.
9/59 68
Car 1
Car 8 Car
Car 1317
Car 401
Car 1002
Cars 401&105
Car 1339
Car 1801
Car 8 Car 2009
Car 8
Car 1046
Car 859
Engs .90&2649 Car
Car 1699
Car 1864
Car 1976
Cars 8,200,
274 & 997
Canadian Rail
Rosemount & Cartierville.
Farewell to Lachine.
Farewell to Park Avenue, Van
Horne and Outremont.
Quebec to St.Joachim.
St.Gabriel-Fall Foliage Trip
Garneau-Fall Foliage Trip
Ottat.,ra. Champagne -Cobourg-
Quebec to St.Joachim–Fare­
well to ijontmorency Sub.
(Former Q.R.L.&P.Co.).
Montreal North

Ahuntsic–Farewell to Millen
Montreal North-/& Htl.North.
Pageant-Ottawa. George Loop
to Holland Jct.
Special-Ottawa. Holland Jct.
to Britannia.
* • Farewell to O.T.C.
Belleville to Bancroft.

-Farewell to Cartierville
Papineau & Rosemount.
1 1 _ Farewell to
Montreal Streetcars-M.T.~.
69 Oct. 3/59 C.P.R. It Engs.424&946 St.Guillaume-Fall Foliage
70 Oct. 4/59 II
71 Nov.2l/59
72 Nov.22/59(
(C.S.R. 1
C.P.R. 1
n II

73 Apr.16/60
74 Apr.17/60
75 Sept .3/60
76 Sept.4/60
77 Oct.15/60 78
Oct.16/60 C.P.R. 79 Nov.
6/60 1
80 July22/6l C.N.R. 1
Eng .2811
Ottawa-Fall Foliage Trip.
Montreal Terminals.
Cornwall-Courtaulds &
Belt Line.
Mount Orford
Smi ths Falls
Huberdeau-Fall Foliage Trip
Ste.Agathe-1 1 1
St.Lin-75th Anniversary of
C.P.R.Last Spike.
Victoriaville-125th Anniver­
sary of Canadian Railways.
81 Sept.23/61 MAR. Eng.10 Maccan to Joggins-Farewell
to !I1aritime Ry.
§82 May 27/62 C.N.R. Trains Engs.6790 & Lac Remi-Last train between
~ 83 June24/62
84 Oct.13/62
§ 85 Oc t .14/62
99&100 6771 St.Jerome & Lac Remi.
Special Engs.5107 &/Garneau.

Engs.5107 &
St.Remi WF. Eng.17l9
Special Eng.6167
§ C.N.R. –Not sponsored by CRHA.
co tj OJ Q >oj ….
cT . o :; ~
I- N ,….

c,,-J 6AUG~

– -.-.-


. .-.i







T·~CI<.l .

=>iOt-l S CDt>.L.
l LX;i·
… _——­…. _—-
Our locomotive diagram this month is another contribution from Mr.
G. A. Parker. Mr. Parkers detailed drawing shows the lay­
out and dimensions of one of a group of three 2-5-2s of the Bar­
si Light Railways. The engines were built in 1947 by ~Hunslet
Engine Company Limited of Leeds, England. and carried Hunslet ~
ial numbers ,667. ,668 and ,669. Other information is shown on
the drawing.
mJHE Chairman and President of Canadian Pacific. Mr. N.R. Crump. ann­
il ounced on May 14th that a hotel and office building complex will be
+~ built in downtown Montreal on land owned by his company. Core of
the project is a 38-storey. 620-room hotel. which is to be built and operated by
Canadian Pacific Hotels Limited. Sharing the site with the hotel will be a twenty­
storey office building which is to be constructed by an outside developer. While
office space in this structure will be leased to interested companies. certain
Canadian Pacific offices will also be located in the same building.
It is expected that initial construction tenders will be called by July 1st. 1964
with completion of the hotel scheduled for late in 1966. and official opening by the
end of that year. Construction of the office building will be carried out simul­
taneously. The new buildings are to be built on property acquired recently by the
company. immediately adjacent to Windsor Station. The block is bounded by St.
Antoine. Windsor. Lagauchetiere and Cathedral streets. The buildings will
front on Dominion Square. with the Square park being carried through to the pro­
ject by a landscaped pedestrian promenade leading to a plaza around the two new
buildings. A gateway of castellated design. blending old Montreal with the new.
will stand at the point where the promenade joins the Square. Under the plaza
will be a parking garage for upwards of five hundred automobiles.
In recognition of the French-Canadian character of Montreal and the fact that
Montreal is the second-largest French-speaking city in the world. the decor of
the hotel will be French in theme. and staffed by French-speaking personnel.
The hotel design will incorporate a number of outstanding features. Among
them is a skating pond and a cocktail lounge and coffee shop with an outdoor
restaurant terrace warmed with radiant heating to permit its use much of the
year. On the far side of the pond will be a settlement of specialty shops for the
crafting and sale of Quebec art. The guest rooms will be located in the 400-foot
hotel tower of contemporary design. whose windows will reflect the classic arch
which appears in many of the buildings in the immediate area. notably Windsor
Station itself. The hotel is designed for individual service rather than convent­
ionsj its function facilities will be designed to handle small groups of under 300
people. Plans also inclUde a ballroom with balconies to seat approximately 500
for a formal dinner.
Other hotel facilities will include a penthouse for cocktails and dining. located
at the top of the tower. and providing an unexcelled view of Montreal and the 1967
Exposition site. Architects are DAstous and Pothierj consulting engineers are
Monti. Lefebvre. Lavoie and Nadon. both of Montreal. Hotel consultant is John
W. Houser of New York. and the consulting engineer on seismic design is Dr.
N.M. Newmark of Urbana. Ill. Artists conception shown at left.

Canadian Rail Page 123
Although the Vermont Cen­
tral Railroad would not allow
its wholly-owned Canadian subsi­
diary, the Stanstead Shefford &
Chambly Railway, to connect with
other American lines, it was in­
terested in an extension which
would serve the copper mines of
Bolton Township and take away
from the Passumpsic some of the
traffic originating around Lake
Memphremagog. In 1867, the Hun­
tington Mining Company was or­
ganized to exploit the copper
mines in Bolton about ten miles
south of the village of Eastman,
which was then known as Dillon­
town~ and by a charter obtained
in 1070 the mining company had
the right to build a light rail­
way from the mines to a connec­
tion with the SS&C at Waterloo
and also to the navigable waters
of Lake Memphremagog. L.S. Hun­
tington, owner of the mining co­
mpany was also secretary of the
SS&C Ry. and since the mining
companys charter rights to build
railway lines were transferred
to the Trustees of the Vermont
Central Railroad on July 26,
1871, and subsequently, on Oct.
30, 1874, to the Waterloo & Ma­
gog Railway which had been in­
corporated by VCRR interests on
December 23, 1871, it is obvious
that the whole scheme was pre­
arranged in the interests of the
Vermont Central Railroad.
Started in 1875, the line
was completed from Waterloo to
Dillontown in 1877 and to Magog
in 1878. In 1879, a branch line
from Dillontown to Bolton, which
had been built by the bankrupt
Missisquoi & Black Rivers Rail­
way, was taken over and operated
for freight service only until
Meanwhile, the Quebec Cen­
tral Railway had built a line
from Levis to Sherbrooke but
could interchange only with the
Grand Trunk Railway and it was
interested in promoting a con­
nection with the Vermont Central
by the late Robert R. Brown
In 1882 the Waterloo& Magog
Railway, which was wholly-owned
by the VCRR, commenced building
an extension from Magog to Sher­
brooke and it is interesting to
note that the contractors,Messrs.
Bowen and Woodward, were offic­
ials of the Quebec Central. The
line from Magog to Sherbrooke
was completed about December,
1884, the terminus in Sherbrooke
being the brick station at the
corner of Belvedere and Fronten­
ac streets, now the freight of­
fice of the Canadian Pacific
Railway. About a month later,
the Quebec Central Railway com­
pleted a connecting link from
its bridge over the St.Francis
River, up through a ravine to a
connection with the Waterloo & Magog
Railway,where the Canadian
Pacific passenger station is
presently situated.
In 1887, the Canadian Paci­
fic Railway opened negotiations
for the purchase of the Waterloo
& Magog Railway andon June 10th,
the property was conveyed to the
Atlantic & North West Railway.
The Waterloo & Magog Railway had
been built very cheaply and it
meandered through the valleys
and around the hillS, and down
into all the hollows and over
the ridges, so the Canadian Pa­
cific Railway built an entirely
new line from Brigham Jct. (now
Brookport) to Sherbrooke, com­
pleting it in 1889. Traces of
the old line can be followed
practically all the way. From
Waterloo to South Stukely, it is
close to the highiVay, then it
runs under the high CPR viaduct;
it dips into the valley at East­
man; passes around the south
side of Orford Lake, crossing
part of the lake on a pile tres­
tle, traces of which are still
visible. At Magog, it crossed
the river near the textile mill
ran toward Katevale, and then
along the east side of Lake Ma­
gog and the Magog River.
Page 124 Canad ian Rai 1
Notes and News
–P. A. Ganley
The idea of connecting CNs Mount Royal Tunnel to Montreals
future subway system was revived when President Donald Gordon
told a meeting of municipal, Worlds Fair and CN officials that
commuter service through the tunnel is fast approaching the limit
of its capacity. He said that the estimated $25 million cost
could not be undertaken by CN alone but would have to be done
jointly with Montreal and other municipalities served by the route.
It was suggested that the tunnel service, if converted to a subway,
could be extended past Central Station to the waterfront,
in the vicinity of the 1967 Worlds Fair grounds. There have been
several other meetings between the CNR, the city of Montreal, and
other municipalities with respect to this suggestion.
The Board of Transport Commissioners has authorized Canadian
Pacific to abandon a section of its Sussex Street subdivision,
a branch line that runs to scenic Sussex Drive near Ottawa. The
1.1 Mile section runs through an area that the government proposes
to redevelop as Ottawas mile of history.
C.N.R. has extended its Red, White and Blue fare plan to the
Abitibi, Lake St. John and Saguenay regions. The fare plan now
extends to the whole of the St. Lawrence Region with the exception
of those services operated under the pool agreement. A one-way
fare to Noranda from Montreal by coach on a Red day will cost
$11.00, the return trip to Noranda by sleeping car and including
meals will be $34. (lower berth).
Canadian Pacific has placed an order for an additional 19 miles of
centralized traffic control signalling equipment with General
Railway Signal Company. The new territory which inclUdes seven
locations, runs from Toronto to Bolton. The Quebec North Shore &
Labrador Railway has placed an order with the same company for an
additional 38 miles of C.T.C., to run from Ross Bay to Wabush.
On CN, 926 miles of this form of signalling is now in operation
between Armstrong, Onto and Biggar, Sask.
Six CN Buffet sleepers and four sleeper-grill cars are being
converted to Dining Cars, probably for use on the new Panorama.
These care were delivered to the system in 1954. The conversion
is being done at the Pt. St. Charles shops in Montreal. The six
buffet sleepers (10 sections – 1 D.B.R.) are numbered 1014,
Valleyfieldj 1015, Valley Mills; 1016, Valley Park; 1017, Valley
Riverj 1018, Valley Road; 1019, Valleyview. The four sleeper­
grill cars 8 sections – 1 D.B.R.) are numbered 1010, White Rock;
1011, White Rapids; 1012, White Oak; 101), White Sands. The new
numbers have not been assigned to the cars as yet.
Canadian Rai 1
Page 125
Listed below are the names and numbers of CNs new Club Lounge
cars which have been converted from former B.B.L. cars and are
being used on CNs transcontinental service:
2300 -Matinee
2301 -Joie de Vivre
2302 -Avant-Garde
2303 -Soiree
2304 -Bon Vivant
2305 -Cordial
2306 -Bon Voyage 2307 -Rendez.vous 2308 –
2309 -Bon Jour
2310 -Au Courant
2311 -Entente
Ex 1066 -Fort Simpson
Ex 1067 -Fo rt Dunvegan Ex 1068 –
Fort Quappelle
Ex 1061 -Fort Anne
Ex 1064 -Fort Norman
Ex 1072 -Fort Rouille
Ex 1074 -Fort Steele
Ex 1060 -Fort Pitt
Ex 1070 -Fort Beausejour
Ex 1075 -Fort Chambly Ex 1065 –
Fort Pelly
Ex 1081 -Fort St. James
Four more cars are presently being converted but new names have
not been assigned as yet.
C.P.R. and the city of Calgary have agreed on a redevelopment plan
for the city. The plan involves removel of CPR trackage from the
downtown area and the opening of cleared land for commercial
development. Legislation was passed recently by the government of
Alberta enabling the city and the railway to proceed with the
The Delaware and Hudson Railroad is now operating its dining
cars from Albany to Montreal and return, instead of between
Albany and Rouses Point, on trains 34 and 35, the day run from
Montreal to New York city. The reason for this is probably
because train #34 leaves Montreal at 11.05 a.m. (E.S.T.) and
the dining car would have to be available to serve meals at noon.
The Algoma Central & Hudson Bay Railway Co. has purchased 100
gondola cars from the National Steel Car Corp. Ltd., Hamilton, Onto The
inside length of the cars is 61 feet while the width is 9 feet,
4 inches. The height of the ends of the cars is 9 feet and the
sides 5 feet. They have a capacity for 156,000 Ibs. and will be
used for the transportation of forest products such as pulpwood
mainly, as well as long steel products of the Algoma Steel Corp.
Ltd. (Information and photo courtesy of I.F. Cooksleyand
M.A. Matthews, Algoma Central Rly.).
treat yourself to a train ride
Another trip to Toronto?
Or Quebec?
Or somewhere?
Indulge yourself completely.
Lie back. Stretch out.
Take yourself a little vacation.
Savour one of the last remaining havens from tension.
The train ride. Watch the countryside float silenlly by.
Then doze off.
Or read.
Or reflect.
When did you last
have a few quiet hours to yourself?
When will you next?
Treat.yourself. Its not expensive.
You leave downtown, arrive downtown. Unhurried.
A new person.
on. Treat yourself.
IIs great.
The train ride.
RED, WHITE and BLUE and FARESAVER now effective in POOL ZONES
Effective May 20th, the Canadian transcontinental railway systems
put their calender-oriented reduced-fare plans into operation in the
heavily-travelled Pool Area (Montreal-Quebec: Montreal-Toronto: and
Toronto-ottawa. )
In a joint press statement issued May 13 by the Canadian National
and Canadian Pacific, the Railways announced that they would intro­
duce their Red, White and Blue and FareSaver fares on the routes
where pool arrangements are in effect. Hitherto, these were the
only passenger runs on either railway where the old First Class -Coaoh
Class rates were applied, no doubt because of the difficul­
ties in reconciling the two plans to Pool Train operations. The
compromise seems to be m establish the R.W & B. plan on the Montreal
Toronto run where the CN provides the major serVice, while the Fare­
Saver plan Is effective between Montreal and Quebec City, where C.P.
handles most of the traffic. It appears that a 15¢ ferry ride bet­
ween Quebeo and Levis might still save a Montreal-bound traveller a few
pennies on certain days, although the previous anomaly of having
the Montreal-Toronto fare less expensive via Capreol than via the di­
rect route (on Red days) has been eliminated.
Since May 20th, the cost of travelling between these two major
oentres by coach is as little as $7.40 for the one-way fare. The
previous rate was $12,80, One-way coach fare between Montreal and
Quebec Cit~ is now reduced to $3.60 on certain off-peak days —a
saving of J2.55. The new arrangements are in effect for an expe­
rimental period of one year.

Side Track
Doug Wright –Montreal Star
I promise you, Claude … IF Ottawa puis through Ihis new railway bill and IF they let us operate like any olher
business and charge every cent the traffic will hear, THE N she can have a coat of paint … IF she holds together
that long.
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committe,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. Subscription included
wich Associate Membership: $4.00 annually.
lVilliam Pharoah
John W. Saunders
Frederick F. Angus
Hyman Mande 1
Robert Half yard
Orner Lavallee
Lindsay Terreau
S.S. Worthen
Michael Bould
At least 5 week, bo(ore you
moe, ~nt.l QI Iclter, • c.ard.
or II pOII·oUiec chanAe·ol­
.ddre~ (orl.rllc1l1n& u. bOlh 10ur
OLD lind your NEW ad~.
Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street Wesc, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 West 2Bth Avenue, Vancouver B, B.C.
William F. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J.S. Nicolson, 2329 Dufferin Avenue, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
V.H. Coley, 11243-72 Ave., Edmonton, Alberta
William D. McKeown, 900 Senriyama (Ouzo), Souita City, Osaka, Japan
John H. Sanders, 10 Church St., Ampthill, Bedsford, England

Demande en ligne