Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 153 1964

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 153 1964

~a.:n. di n.
Number 153 / March 1964

Canadian Rail Page 55
M ontrea I Streetcars
638 cl ass
Cars II
The Scotch
While on a visit to the
British Isles in 1900, ~ontreal
Street Railway officials had
been intrigued by a series of
experimental centre -entrance
cars in Glasgow, Scotland. Al­
though the 640 class cars, in­
spired by a New York type, were
The design of No. 6)8 shows
clearly the ~uropean influence,
namely fewer but larger windows.
The centre entrance had the ob­
vious advantage of enabling the
conductor to exercise closer
supervision over passensers
boardinJ and alightin~, inasmuch
as he was never more than half
under construction, the Company
built an experimental car simi­
lar to the Glasgow centre-entr­
anoe design. This was No. 6)8,
and while records are not clear,
it may have been turned out be­
fore the 640 class was completed.
the car length away while col­
lecting fares. It had already
been recognized elsewhere that
the one disadvantage of large
cars in urban service was the
longer time required to collect
fares inside the car, and conse­
quently the rear platform was
left unattended muchof the time.
Page 56
On the other hand, a centre
door was considered somewhat
dangerous, because of the possi­
bility of passengers falling
under the wheels of the rear
truck, particularly when the car
was on a left-hand curve. No.
638 was, therefore, fitted with
protective screen guards at each
side of the steps and around the
truck frames. The latter were
subsequently removed.
Apparently satisfied with
No. 638, which was the largest
car so far operated by Montreal
Street Railway, the Board of
Directors at a meeting on June
20th, 1901, made the following
The question of additional dou­
ble-truck cars, with centre en­
trance was considered and upon
the reconunendat ion of the 11ana­
ger, the Board approved $110,000
for construction of 25 cars and
The cars were put in ser­
vice late in 1901 (the last two
in January, 1902,~, on St. Cath­
arine St. Continuing the num­
bering sequence from the last
640 class car~ they were number­
ed 690 to 73~ even. Thus, in­
cluding No. 638, there were
twenty-six cars of this class,
known as the 638 class, but pop­
~larly and even officially known
as the Scotch Cars.
The Scotch cars were 42
long overall and were mounted on
Cana dian Rai 1
Blackwell Cl. 31 trucks. Motor
equipments varied between GE. 67
WH. 49 and WH. 12a, -all with
K6 controllers. Total weight
was about 35,000 Ibs., -rather
heavy for hand brakes. They
were equipped with ai r b rakes a
few years later. Originally No.
638 had motors on the rear truck
only, but this was found unsat­
isfactory and the front truck
was motorized. All subsequent
cars of this class were turned
out with four motors.
In 1909, Nos. 704, 716 were
sold to the Montreal Park and
Island Railway Co., and were
used on the Sherbrooke Street
line between Victoria Avenue and
Elmhurst. On June 12th of the
same year, No. 706 was destroyed
by fire under circumstances
which are now unknown.
Also, about 1909, three
Scotch cars -Nos. 722, 728, 730
were assigned to the Terminal
Railway lines, where they worked
for several years. Nos. 700 and
702 were also equipped for sub­
urban service and used on the
Cartierville and Back River
In 1911-12 all cars in this
class were altered for P.A.Y.E.
operation by closing the centre
doorway and lengthening both the
rear and front platforms, there­
by increasing the length to
45110~. This alteration, plus
the previous addition of air­
brake equipment~ brought the to­
tal weight to 3~,540 Ibs •.

Canadian Rail Page 59
In 1917, we find 17 Scotch
cars at St. Denis Division, 3 at
St. Henry and 5 at Hochelaga.
Thereafter, they were largely
confined to rush-hour service
and lasted into the mid-1920s in
that capacity. Two were scrapped
in 1925 and the remainder in
Page 54
Page 55
Page 56
Page 57
Page 59
PHOTOS -from the collection of
Mr. R.M.Binns.
at Phillips Square, Montreal, c.1902.
(from the Notman Collection -McGill University)
Glasgow car from which 638 class was designed.
MSR 734 –one of the 638 class –as altered in 1911 and 1912.
Fourth window was formerly centre
door. (M.T.C. photo) (upper)
MSR 696 showing European influence in windows
and doors. (MSR photo).
(lower) Interior of 736 showing heating duct from the
stove on front platform and intricate wood­
picture above front door. (MSR ph~O)
(upper) No.702 on Maplewood Ave. in 1907 (MSR photo) (lower) No.728
at Bourbonnaire carbarn(Terminal line)
in 1912. Note headlight and wooden pilot.
(M.T.C. photo) (below)
MSR 638, posed at Hochelnga Depot.


. .
/ –
-+- -+-
• ,

• ,
+ +









~ .y
Canad ian Rai 1 Page 61
is the PANORAMA? Its CNs new deluxe transcontinental train,
a twin for the Super Continental. In almost every way the PANOR­
AMAS equipment will be the same as the Super Continental. Club
lounges, diners, coach lounges, sleeping accommodation, reserved
coaches with attendants, will be interchangeable.
On the PANORAMA CN passengers will be offered, for the first time,
an all-day trip through Canadas Rocky Mountains. The westbound
PANORAMAs 6:00 a.m. departure from Jasper permits hour after hour
of fabulous sightseeing.
Following is the PANORAMAS schedule aumgside that of the Super
Continental: (standard times)
Panorama No.9
10:15 p.m.
12:25 a.m.
12:35 a.m.
7:50 a.m.
11:30 p.m.
7:45 a.m.
8:40 a.m.
6:15 a.m.
8:20 a.m.
6:00 p.m.
6:20 p.m.
12:10 a.m.
12:30 a.m,
6:00 a.m.
6:00 a.m.
9:30 p.m.
4:00 p.m.
6:05 p.m.
6:15 p.m.
12:35 a.m.
5:15 p.m. 12
:30 a.m,
1:25 a.m.
8:40 p.m.
9:10 p.m.
6:50 a.m,
7:10 a.m.
12:25 p.m.
12:40 p.m.
5:35 p,m.
4:50 p.m.
7:40 a.m.
Lv. II
Ar. 2:45 p.m.
Lv. 12:40 p.m.
Ar. 12:25 p.m.
Lv. 5:55 a.m.
LV,Capreol Ar. Ar,
Winnipeg Lv, Lv,
II Ar.
Saska toon Lv. Lv.
II Ar,
Ar,Edmonton Lv. Lv.
II Ar.
ar.Vancouver Lv.
1:05 p.m.
5:50 a.m.
5:00 a.m.
7:45 a.m.
7:15 a.m.
9:50 p.m.
9:30 p.m.
2:00 p.m.
1:45 p.m.
9:05 a.m.
7:50 a.m.
4:30 p.m. Panorama
10:45 p.m.
8:40 p.m.
8:30 p.m,
2:00 p.m.
9:00 p.m.
1:55 p.m.
1:05 p.m.
4:00 p.m.
3:25 p.m.
6:00 a.m.
5:40 a.m.
10:00 p.m,
9:40 p.m.
4:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m.
10:30 p.m.
q Rail Transporta~ o~
~~ .
THE MUSEUH IN 1963. –F. Angus.
On New Year1s Day, 1963, the Canadian Rail Transportation Mu­
seum at Delson presented a very different picture than it does today.
At that time the enclosed portion of the building was only half its
present size, and, while the steelwork for the second half had been
erected, it was still bare and not yet covered with aluminium. Track
was laid in the building only in bays 3 and 4 for half their present
,length. The first piece of rolling stock, Q.N.S.& L.locomotive 1112
was at the end of track 4 where it had been since November 24th. In
the next 5 weeks, Old Sydney Collieries 25, Ottawa streetcars 6 and
423, Maritime locomotive No.5, and Quebec interurban 401 had been
placed inside, the latter only three days before, on December 29th.
The only other pieces of equipment on the museum property were L. &
p. S. section car S-l, and N. B. P. Co. streetcar 82, the latter
still on a flatcar.
Contrast this with the situation a year later in which 50 items
of rolling stock were on the property, 40 of which were in a locked
building, and one will quickly see the progress that had been made
at the museum in 1963.
The first three months of the year saw the completion of the
building, and the construction and erection of 4 tempora~y aluminum
sheathed doors for the building. These doors were built and instal­
led by the members themselves,often in near-zero degree temperature,
and provided a considerable measure of protection until replaced by
steel roll-up doors in the Autumn. At this stage the train shed
looked so large it was difficult to imagine it being filled to capa­
city a few months later, but as April arrived, work hastily recomm­
enced, as big things were coming from the C.P.R. On April 2nd, C.P.
locomotive 144, and cars I, 56, 1554, and 3987 as well as Ste.Anne
Paper Co. engine No. 3 were brought to the museum, and were placed
on the interchange track the following day.
Track laying began for the year on April 6, and continued unab­
ated under the very able direction of Mr. Wyatt Webb, until the end
of November, when snow and cold again forced the suspension of this
phase of activity until the Spring. Track in bay 3 was completed on
April 15, and O. T. C. No.6 became the first piece of rolling stock
in the new half of the building. This track was then filled, and
the lead disconnected and swung to track 4,which now advanced stead­
ily towards the rear of the building.
Up till now all equipment-moves were made by manpower, jeep or
bulldozer, but April saw the arrival of a gas-electric locomotive,
soon christened No.9, or Sans Pareil, which soon took over much
(but not all) of the shunting chores. No. 91s first big test came
on May 8, when it pushed 1112 to the end of the newly-completed
track 4. The museum was now faced with a crisis, as the entire MTC
historical collection of streetcars, as well as all other C.R.H.A.
cars at Youville Shops, (in all 25 rail vehicles occupying more than
900 feet of track) were due to arrive in June. Track and switches
were laid with great rapidity, and,as time was so short, much of the
construction was,of necessity,incomplete,but sufficient to store the
equipment for the time being. However, it will be necessary during

Ca na d ian R ail
Page 63
1964 to finish this work, and, by ballasting, levelling and spiking,
to bring this track up to the standards required for the finished
10 accommodate the streetcars, double track was laid in bay 2,
and the rear half of bay 1, the lead track being swung to the second
track in the bay when the first was filled. The switch to bay 2 was made
ready for use the evening of June 10, the night before the
streetcar move beganl Track 2A was filled June 13, the front car No. 2222
clearing by only 15 inches with all cars touching. By June 29,
2B was also filled with equally close clearances. During this move,
locomotive No.9 proved invaluable, and switching was often carried
on into the night, in one case as late as 11:15, with the ever-pre­
sent danger of derailing the narrow wheeled cars in the darkness,
lighted only by lanterns, and the light of the locomotive.
During the s~~er, much time was spent on ballasting and spik­
ing the track, and not until late September was the extension start­
ed into bay 1. Meanwhile, M.T.C. sleigh 20 and omnibus 7 were un­
loaded from a flatcar, the latter being rolled down a ramp during
the darkness of a solar eclipse on July 20th. One week later,Toronto
streetcar 2300 was unloaded by pulling it downa ramp made by jacking
up the moveable portion of our stub switch. On August 1st, Sydney &
Louisburg car No. 4 joined the II family, and this 1894 car with its
two old-fashioned stoves has proved to be a welcome haven to members
especially in the cold days of Winter. During August, work continued
on the switches, and at the end of the month more equipment arrived
from Youville Shops, including several spare truckS, and shop loco­
motive Y-5, otherwise known as Charlie. These were unloaded in the
same way as 2300. In September the four cars remaining at the Canada
Creosoting yard, L. & P. S. 10 and 14, Q.R.L.& P. 105,& the Procor
tank car 11204,were moved to the museum, and during this time and in
October, track 1 was completed and the tail track realigned.
On-November 10th, the last arrival of rolling stock of the year_
occurred as C.N.R. engine 6153 and British Terrier II No.54 Waddon came
to Delson. 6153 was not moved into the property, but Waddon was
placed inside immediately on arrival at 10;30 p.m. The last spike
inside the building was driven November 16th, and a week later track
3 was extended outside, but has not yet been connected to the main
track. Car 82 on temporary trucks was moved inside clearing the door
by less than 1 inchl A week later a point switch finally replaced
the stub switch which, despite its appearance, had never had a der­
ailment, and National Harbours Board locomotive No.4 was moved in­
side, so filling the building. By this time, snow was on the ground,
the cold weather had come, and activities slowed do~n, although work
on miscellaneous projects has continued on saturdays through the
So, as 1963 ends, we c-an look back on a year during which over
2000 feet of track were laid, and more than 40 pieces of rail equip­
ment brought to the museum property. This work was performed by the
members themselves who turned out at Delson in numbers varying from
about 5 to 35, depending on the weather. The work of laying track
is, at present, the most pressing need, so that the remainder of the
Associations equipment may be brought to Delson. It is, therefore,
extremely important that as many members as possible come to the mu­seum
on weekends during the Spring and Summer of 1964, so that track
laying may be continued, and work may also be undertaken on the re-
(continued on Page 75)

Canadian Rai 1 Page 65
Shortline Railways in Manitoba.
Manitoba~ being largely
an agricultural area, has had few
short line railways. A certain
number of independent lines were
built for hauling grain but all
of these were quickly absorbed
into the major systems. These
lines are part of the history of
the transcontinentals.
The public utility in­
dustry in Manitoba constructed
several shortlines as a necessity
to enable them to carryon their
business. Included in this cate­
gory are the following companies:
Greater Winnipeg Water District
Railway, City Hydro Tramway,
vlinnipeg River Railway and Mani-
WAr£R DlsrRICT RY. …………
WINNIPEG R1fIER /lY …………….
CITY HYo.qo 7RA,tIItIAY ……..
C. N . .q.
C. P. R.
o S
. 01
i i
, ,
, ,

This Railway was built
by the Greater Winnipeg Water
District to enable construction
and repair of t he water aqueduct
–Barry Biglow.
toba Eastern Railway. All of
these were originally operated by
steam and later by gas and diesel
Two other short line
railways operated in the Winnipeg
area as electric interurbans.
These were the Winnipeg, Selkirk
and Lake Winnipeg Railway Comp­
any, and the Suburban Rapid rran­
sit Company. Both were subsid­
iaries of the Winnipeg Electric
Company (formerly Winnipeg Elec­
tric Railway Co.).
A brief outline of the
life and operation of these short
line railways is given below:
……. _.-.-.£!>
supplying Winnipeg with water
from Shoal Lake. It originally
operated Moguls (2-6-0) built by
Canadian Locomotive Co. but die-
Canad ian Rai 1: Page 66
p.64 -a.W.W.D. #5, later sold.
a.W.W.D. track inspectn
P.66 -Rock-filling at White
Mud Falls cofferdam,
year 1922.
Ry. PM6.
O.W.W.D. Mack Railcar at
St.Boniface, Man.
P.69 -Three views of the con­
struction of power
of power
dams and transmi ss –
ion lines.
Photos courtesy of the Manitoba
Hydro, Barry Biglow and A.Clegg
.. ~
Canadian Rai 1
selized with G.E. 44 ton diesel
electrics. These operate in
freight service(mainly gravel and
pulpwood) but are sometimes used
in wintertime passenger service.
Normal passenger service uses a
rebuilt Mack gas electric pur­
chased second hand from the Winn­
ipeg River Railway. Other pass­
enger stock of interest to the
historian is owned and used as
occasion demands.
This line was built from
Lac du Bonnet to Pointe du Bois
by the City of Winnipeg Hydro El­
ectric System to allow construo­
tion and maintenance of Pointe du
Bois hydro electric plant. The
line was further extended to
Slave Falls when a generating
station was built at that point.
(0. S. A. Lavallee oovered the
rolling stock operated by this
line in the 1959 July-Aug. News
Report.) The lack of a good
road to Pointe du Bois forced the
company to operate a passenger
service to Lac du Bonnet from
Pointedu Bois until recent times.
This service was provided by rail
buses (Mack and Ford). The auth­
or knows of no substantial freight
Page 67
A movie using #3 (4-4-0
Steam Locomotive) was shot on the
line last summer. No use was
made of the Pointe du Bois-Lac du
Bonnet section of the line after
January 1963, and this section
was torn up during the past sum­
mer as a good road is now avail­
able between these points.
No road exists between
Pointe du Bois and Slave Falls.
Service continues on ~his portion
of the line taking the operating
per.sonnel to and from Slave Falls.
All equipment has been kept at
Pointe du Bois since the abandon­
ment of the Pointe du Bois-Lac du
Bonnet section.

Canadian Rail
This railway was const­
ructed in 1921 from Lac du Bonnet
to Great Falls, Manitoba by the
Manitoba Power Co. (a financial
subsidiary of the Winnipeg Elec­
tric Co.) to allow the construc­
tion of the Great Falls generat­
ing station. In later years the
line was leased and operated by
the C.P.R. A daily RDC service
was operated for a time but mixed
service (up Friday-down saturday)
was provided at the end. Passen­
ger service was originally pro­
vided by a Mack model AS gas el­
ectric railcar which was sold to
the G.W.W.D. in the 30s.
Until recent times a
gas mechanical car (similar
to the City Hydro Tramway car)
was stored in excellent condition
at Great Falls. This car l,fas
shipped north to aid in construc­
tingthe Kelsey power development.
At one time it had operated on
the Stonewall branch of the W. S .&
L.W. R.R. Its fate is unknown.
This line (12.7 miles in
length) was constructed in the
summer of 1928 from Whitemouth on
the CPR to Seven $isters Falls by
the Northwestern Power Co.(a fin­
ancial subsidiary of the Winnipeg
Electric Co.}. Two saddletank
locomotives were used on this
railway,along with gas mechanical
shunters. A Mack Model AS railcar
provided passenger service until
the end of World War II. After
the war fairly extensive repairs
were made to allow the transpor­
tation of equipment to complete
the generating plant. The per­
sistent failure of a spillway
trestle coupled with the comple­
tion of the plant led to the
scrapping of the railway in the
middle fifties.
Unfortunately the con­
tractor isolated the railway e­
quipment at Seven Sisters in ab­
andonment necessitating roadhaul
Page 69
Pulpwood traffic existed
for a while on the line, and a
spur to construct MacArthur Falls
generating station provided some
traffic in the fifties. Prelimi­
nary grading was done fran Great
Falls to Pine Falls but construc­
tion was never carried out with
the CNR building to Pine Falls in
the thirties. Most of the track
of the Winnipeg River Railway has
recently been removed.
of the rail car to Hhi t emouth. The
body was badly damaged by vandals
and finally scrapped after press­
ure from the C.P.R. The trucks
were bought by the G.W.vl.D. as
spares for their railcar. They
would have bought the whole car
but body repair costs prevented
this. (Mack built only two model
AS railcars.) The steam locomo­
tives were presumably scrapped
not being in operating condition.
Page 70
This was originally a
steam railroad from Winnipeg to
Selkirk until it was acquired by
the Winnipeg Electric 1906.
The line was electrified and ser­
vice began with 2-man interurban­
style cars. The cars were later
converted to l-man cars. Service
continued to Selkirk until Sept.
1, 1937. at which time buses re-

Canadian Rail
placed the cars. The overhead
and rails were removed as far
back as Middlechurch in 1938.
Service on the Stonewall branch
(electrified in 1913 and 1914)
continued until 1939 at which
time all service was abandoned
exoept for a segment in Winnipeg
over which city streetcars oper-
. ated until 1955.
I l~
W.S.& L.W. #16 at Stonewall, Man.,in October 1935. Motorman was Mr.
R. Styles, father of Stan.F.Styles who provided this photograph of
the Manitoba interurban.
This company was char­
tered in 1902 to build a line on
both sides of the Assiniboine
River from Winnipeg to Headingly
(10 miles). Service started on
the north side of the River in
1903. but on the south side the
line got only to Charleswood. The
company was taken over by the
Winnipeg Electric Co. in 1905.
Service continued with double­
ended cars similar in s·tyle to
the city streetcars. The line .was
progressively cut back in 1931
(Rifle Range), 1933 (Memorial
Park). 1934 Rifle Range Spur).
1936(Park St.). 1937(St.Charles).
with the final segment (Deer
Lodge to St. Charles) being aban­
doned in 1941. Streetcar service
continued to Deer Lodge until
1955. The south line to Charles­
wood was abandoned in 1935.
Above is a photo of the C.V.-S.S.! C. locomotive I.B.Futvoye
referred to in the January issue of Canadian Rail -Railways
of the Eastern Townships. The photo~ from the oollection of
Mr. Fred Novorol, shows the engine at Waterloo, Que. about l~.
Cover Photo
Canadian National 6043, the last steam looomotive to operate in
regular servioe on the CNs western lines, now is enshrined in
Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg. During the winter, it sits rather
forlornly under a blanket of snow, but during the summer season
is admired by the many visitors to the Park.
Acoording to Mr. J. I. Cooper of MoGill University, the station
soene illustrated on the oover of issue 132, was photographed at
North Battleford, Saskatohewan. The date between 1907 and 1912
as the engine was built as #222 in 1907 and renumbered 1283 five
years later.
Page 72
& __ e.e~BB
__ It_a
. _-.:::.:-
Can8 dian Ra i 1
Informa tion
E.L.Modler •

.. , ,,0-.
ABOVE Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range diesels leased by the ONR,
shown at Symington Yard, near Winnipeg.
(photos by Barry Biglow.)
OPPOSITE ONs new Booster Unit, B-1, shown at Montreal Yard.
(photo courtesy of O.N.R.)
Canadian National has recently constructed the first of what may be a
series of Booster Units for use in hump yard operations. Desig­
nated HB_llt this unit was built in December 1963 at Pointe St.Char­
les Shops, Montreal (no serial number), using the frame and truoks
of diesel-electric 8477. Four GE-731 traotion motors provide a
starting tractive effort of 61,750 lbs., while the total weight of
the locomotive is 247,000 lbs. B-1 was placed in service Janu­
ary 6th, 1964 at Montreal Yard, and if successful will be -the pro­
totype for a number of additional units.
C.N.R. steam locomotives held by the Railways for possible exhibits
or inolusion in the C.N.s Museum Train, were recently transferred
from Stratford, Ontario, to Pointe St.Charles and Joffre,~ue. The
imminent closing of the shops at Stratford, aue. the availability of
protected space on the St.La~Tence Region, dictated the move, whioh
was completed in mid-February.
Further to tha news in the Nov. and Jan. issues re lease of U.S.
looomotives by the CN, five additional Duluth, Missabe & Iron Ran­
ge units were leased to the Canadian National on Deo. 6th. These
were DM&IR nos. 101, 102, 103, 104 and 106. On Jan.31-Feb. 1st,
last, five of the originally-leased DM&IR units (134, 164, 165, 167 and 168)
were returned to their owners, While five other diesels of
a more powerful design were received by the CN from the DMlIR. ~y
carry numbers 179, 182, 183, 187 and 188.
New orders for diesel looomotives -see Notes and News oolumn.
An experimental unit:
Confusion over the horsepower rating of CN 1719, used on the CRHA
excursion to Hemmingford, is a result of the unit being equipped,
with an experimental diesel engine rated at 1200 H.P. While loco­
motives in class MR-10c are, generally speaking, 1000 H.P. diesels,
number 1719 is an exception for the time being, and is temporarily
a 1200 H.P. unit.
Notes and News
by W. L. Pharoah
* CN recently ordered two 2,500 horsepower road switchers from General
Motors Diesel in London, Ontario. They will be classified as GR-25-
as and will probably be numbered 4000 and 4001. Meanwhile CNs
only other high-power unit, number 2900, a 2400 horsepower opposed
piston road switcher has been transferred from Montreals Longue
Pointe Yard to new duties on the soon-to-be-opened hump at Toronto.
* Announcement of tcrp-level administrative moves aimed at expanding
CNs share of freight and travel markets and getting ready for
implementation of the recommendations of the MacPherson Royal Com­
mission on Transportation was made recently. Mr. A.H. Hart, for­
merly Vice-president of Sales will devote his full attention to
freight interests as Vice-president-Freight Sales. Mr. Pierre
Delagrave, who as General Sales Manager -Passenger has been respon­
sible for the introduction of CNs Red, White and Blue fare plan
and other passenger service innovations, becomes Vice-president,
Passenger Sales and Services. The appointment of a vice-president
of passenger sales and services is a recognition of the growing
importance CN attaches to the passenger business. It … reflects
the publics response to our efforts to improve service and enlarge
our share of the travel market, remarked Donald Gordon, CN Presid­
ent. (Other North American railroads, please note. –Ed.)
* The·Government has announced that it has withdrawn the plan to
spend sixteen million dollars on a branch line between Matane and
Ste. Anne-Des-Monts in the Gaspe area of Quebec. In its place
the Government will spend about the same amount on other projects
to improve transportation, communications and other facilities for
the economic benefit of the area. The statement said that a CN
survey of the proposed railway found a substantial number of bridges,
rock cuts and heavy grading would be needed. Because of topography
some communities would have to be bypassed rather than served direct­
ly and these factors cast doubt on the desirability of building the
* Some reports have circulated that the proposed causeway between
Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick would not have a rail line.
However, SoliCitor-General Watson MacNaught, MP for Prince is
quoted as saying that, There is no intention whatsoever on the
part of Federal authorities to build a causeway with no rail tracks.
Mr. MacNaught said that there would always be a need for long
haul transport of potatoes and other island agricultural products.
* Six new railheads are to be set up on the Ontario Northland Railway
on April 26 with the inauguration of a new express and freight
service. The locations are: New Liskeard, Kirkland Lake, Rouyn­
Noranda, Iroquois Falls, Timmins and Cochrane. Freight and express
trains will leave Toronto at 9:30 pm Sunday to Friday, arriving at
Kirkland Lake at 8 am the following day. Limited traffic such as
newspapers and perishable goods will be handled on pa.ssenger trains
which will run seven days a week instead of the present six.
Trains 46 and 47 will be discontinued because they carry more freight
and express than passengers.
Canadian Rail Page 75
* ON is restor1ng the name Bonaventure to i te former p1aee of
prominence in Montreal area railroading. CNs vaoant property
above the rai1wal tracks behind Central Stat10n, in the area bound­
ed by Lagauchetiere, St. Antoine, Inspector and Cathedral may soon
be occupied by a huge oomp1ex that will include a merchand1se mart,
exh1bition hall, retail stores and hotel faoi1ities. P1aoe Bona­
venture would be located on the No.2 sUbway line which w1l1 turn
west from Berri along Vitre and terminate on the CPR property op­
posite Windsor Station where OF is planning its own oomp1ex Oom­
pr1sing a hotel and office building. Developers of the proJeot
is ~oncord1a Estates Development Co. who will lease the land from
CN on a long-term bas1s.
* The Edmonton city planning department has given its approval to
plans for a three-mi11ion-do1lar ON office tower. Subject to
city approval of the detailed oonstruotion plans, the 25-storey
structure will be bu11t for CN by the Allied Development Corpor­
ation of Edmonton. To be part of the civic centre plan, the Tower
will house ra11way station facilities and offices. The building
will be finished in late 1965.
* Union spokesmen have promised to fight closure of CNs freight car
repair shops at London. The railway had told its 273 oar shop em­
ployees that it would keep the shops open until 1966, as promised
previously, but that it would be in the interests of the employees
to shut down next year because there will be more jobs to transfer
to than in 1966.
* The first 10oomotive to enter the Northwest Territories arrived
two hours late at Hay River because of flat tires. The blowouts
were not on the 46-ton diesel locomotive but on the sixteen-wheel
tractor trailer truck that brought it 134 miles over the Maokenzie Highway from Meander
River, Alberta.
* The Truro Daily News carries a report from Johannesburg, South
Africa, stating that drunken elephants are terrorizing railroad
workers based at a small station in South Africas Kruger National
Park, a large game reserve. At this time of year some elephants
get drunk after eating fermented berries which have dropped from the
maroe1a trees growing in the park. Some of the pickled paohyderms become
extremely aggressive and unpredictable.
Continued from Page 63
storation of equipment, and many other jobs, so that the museum can
be opened to the public. For there will be work for everyone at
De1son in 1964, and if the members support the project actively, the
year 1964 should be the greatest in the history of the Association.
Packing Them In. –Doug Wright -Montreal Star
Take them back! Caot you see were oot ready?
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committe,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. Subscription included
wi th Associate ~Iembership: $4.00 annually.
Anthony Clegg
Hilliam Pharoah
John ;1. Saunders
Frederick F. Angus
Jeffrey Forrest
Robert Half yard
Orner La vallee
Lindsay Terreau
AI leall 5 week, boror~ you
mtH·C, !end u, It leuer. a cnrd.
or n post.orrle … ehnnj(c.of.
addren (orm tcUiDI u. bOlh rour
OLD and your NEW .d,rc., … !.
Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street 1est, Ottawa,
Peter Cox, 2936 Hest 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
Hilliam D. McKeown, Apartment 201, 859 Kennedy Road, Scarborough,
William r. Cooksley, 594 11cDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J. S. Nicolson, 2329 Dufferin Avenue, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
V.H· Coley, 11243-72 Ave., Edmonton, Alberta

Demande en ligne