To be abandoned 1964
To remain 1964
~~—-~ __ ~-1~Y~o~ungs Cove R
Those who visited the line. intent upon .pending the day mak
ing the round trip. boarded the train at Norton. where a dead end platform track
abutting against the west end of the Canadian National station. served the needs
of the Chipman mixed train. Canadian Pacifics flcilities here included a one
stall enginehouse. a small yard. and a wye bearing the Minto Subdivision away
to the northward. at right angles to the CN Saint John-Moncton main line. The
north wye switch was situated on the south abutment of a very light lattice girder
bridge Over the Kennebecasis River. which was a relic of the times of the Cen
tral Railway and demanded a speed restriction of but four miles an hour!
Norton is a pleasant settlement founded by United Empire Loyalists 170 years
ago. and the railway parallelled its main street about a quarter of a mile to the
west up to the crossing of the Saint John-Moncton highway. From an elevation of
only thirty feet above sea level at the Kennebecasis bridge. the railway climbed
all but five hundred feet in the ensuing twelve miles through Case. Belleisle and
Scotch Settlement. An even sharper descent was made in the next eight miles to
an elevation of only seventeen feet at the Washademoak drawbridge just north of
Cody. An invariable stop for the mixed train in steam days along this stretch
was at the water tank at Perry. a ceremony which has been recorded by the
lenses of countless cameras.
Usually. there was some switching to be done at Cody. after which the engine
coupled on to a gradually-enlarging train. The mixed was then propelled gently
down the slope to the drawbridge. a combination girder drawbridge and lattice
work fixed truss span. the whole resting on piles in Washademoak Lake. The
structure was negotiated with extreme care. after which a quickened exhaust from
the engine signalled an attack on the grade out of the lake valley. Once up the
north side. the train bounded on again with scarcely a pause at Bagdad (not. we
hasten to add. the romantic domed and minaretted capital of Arabian Nights fame.
but just a little halt in the second-growth forest) and on to Youngs Cove Road.
which lost its station years ago and received a superannuated boxcar in replace
More switching. then back into the woods again and on to Cumberland Bay.
passing through a farmyard en route which was made familiar to us one Easter
weekend in 1952. when a sunkink in the track. which happened just as the
northbound train was passing over it. delayed us for a pleasant hour or two while
the section crew effected emergency repairs for the southbound trip in the after
noon. At Cumberland Bay. there is a slightly tilted siding layout which always
made switching a problem for No. 29. whose 70-inch driving wheels were notice
ably less effective than the 63-inch wheels on the sister engines. I remember
one or two occasions when we and the crew assisted No. 29 out of the siding. by
pushing at the rear of the cut of cars. Whenever this procedure was necessary.
it was also necessary for No. 29 to back the train about half a mile south of Cum
berland Bay. then reverse and get a run for the grade past the station.
PHOTOS A T LEFT: (Top) Engine 136 with an unusual two-car train near
Thompsons siding. south of Cody. in June. 1958. The extra passenger
car was for a group of enthusiasts from Moncton. riding the line.
(Bottom) The Washademoak drawbridge at Mile 69.5. from the rear of
the train. Note swing span just at the far end of the lattice truss.
Page 248 Canadian Rail
The last usual stop was at the strip coal mine operation at Pennlyn, where
the train e tonnage would be filled out with a car or two of coal. Finally, just be
fore noon, the train would pull into Chipman where passengers and crew would
lunch while the engine did likewise at a coal bucket hoist. After lunch, the engine
would be turned on the wye, watered, and recoupled to its train for the return
trip, which would be the reverse image of the northbound trip in the morning, ex
cept that the size of the train diminished as Norton wae approached. The after
noon water stop at Perry was somewhat more casual, and infinitely better photo
graphically, and, if schedule-keeping had been particularly good, we might also
depend upon a special stop for photographs at some scenic place of Our own
choosing. One such spot was at Belleisle Creek, just south of the station of the
same name, while another was about a mile north of Norton. Arrival at the ter
minal always left us enough time to see the engine put away at the enginehouse,
before returning to Saint John on the Canadian National evening train.
The abandonment of the most interesting part of the Minto Sub
division leaves a large gap in the steadily-diminishing number of Canadian rail
way byways which can lay claim on sentiment for sheer quaintness. Much of the
character was supplied by the steam locomotives, of course, and with the passing
of that era, a part of the quaintness disappeared. Fortunately. the Norton-Chip
man line was well documented photographically, both in still-and motion-pictures
and its irreplaceable locomotive antiques safely preserved for posterity. And
with these aids we might from time to time try to recapture the leisurely pace of
another era which so long and so effectively withstood the realities of Twentieth
Century, space-age existence.
PHOTOS AT RIGHT: (Top) The morning ritual at Perry tank. with engine 144.
Beside the locomotive, John Myers. the engineer, can be seen. officiat
ing in time-honoured fashion with a long-spouted oilcan.
(Bottom) Perry tank in winter, with 136 southbound in the afternoon.
To the usual train consist. a snowplow has been added. deadheading back
to Norton after plowing north earlier in the day.
THE MUSEUM, ONE YEAR LATER:
The end of November marked the first
anniversary of the movement of the first piece of equipment into the trainshed
building at Deleon, in the form of QNS&L 4-6-0 locomotive No. 1112. In the en
suing twelvemonth, a great deal of energy on the part of the volunteer committee
members has enabled us to install almost 1,800 feet of track inside our building
and to complete the building structure itself with the installation of rolling steel
overhead doorsj to store thirty-five locomotives, cars and electric cars inside
the structure, with about two hundred feet of track remaining to be occupied. A
total of fifty-three pieces of equipment are now at Delson in and around the pro
perty, out of a total of about eighty-five items on our roster.
In addition to the work in the trainshed, another 1,800 feet of track, includ
ing four switches, has been laid in the yard. Facilities are sufficiently advanced
to enable work to go on on rolling stock repair and restoration du1ing the winter,
bidding fair to enable us to open the museum in part to the public during 1964.
., — I
I IIJ—L,J ]
I I I
I . A
en no no t5 …. PI
THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF R. WYATT WEBB
LEST SOME OF THE NEWER GENERA TION of rail photographers think that
the rail camera enthusiast is a recent innovation. we present a selection of pic
tures from the interesting collection of Mr. R. Wyatt Webb. taken more than
thirty years ago and as a result. embodying subject matter of more than passing
interest. Those of us who think of Wyatt in his better-known role of lord and
master of track construction and maintenance at Delson were a little surprised
when. in his own modest way. he showed us some of his negatives taken around
Sutton and Farnham. Que •• in the early Thirties. The result is the brief selec
tion presented here. with others to appear from time to time.
All of the engines presented in this selection represent types unknown to the
current junior generation of rail cameramen. except for No. 492. shown above
on a snowy day in February. 1932. at Sutton. Coincidentally enough. this engine
is now out of service at Angus Shops. waiting only for Wyatt Webb to construct
track for it to be accomodated with our locomotive collection at the museum.
TOP: Compared with the popularity which the 2-6-0 type enjoyed on the Grand
Trunk Railway. Canadian Pacific had very few Moguls; less than fifty. in
fact. One of them was No. 3049. shown here at Farnham in May. 1932.
This engine had been built at Delorimier Shop in Montreal in 1890. and
was one of the last CPR 2-6-0s to be built. This J-2-c class engine was
scrapped in 1937.
BOTTOM: Another storied Canadian Pacific locomotive type was the I class
4-8-2. of which two were built in 1914 at Angus Shops. the first Mountain
type locomotives in Canada. and the only ones CP ever had. the Company
preferring. by and large. heavier locomotives with fewer wheels. as eV
idenced by the fact that the 4-8-2s weighed some forty tons less than the
heaviest CP 4-6-4s. No.290l was t!!.ken at West Toronto in July. 1930.
TOP: This classic mixed-train scene was captured by Wyatt Webb at Sutton.
Que •• in May. 1932. It shows the train ready to depart for Drummondvil1e
with E-3-a class 4-6-0 No. 2013 at the business end. This engine was
one of seven in its sub-class built at Angus Shops in 1913; all were dis
mantled in 1943.
BOTTOM: A sister to the engine in the photograph above was photographed at
Sutton in March 1932. E class engines with 70 drivers like No. 2017
disappeared comparatively early. compared with the more versatile D
class engines with smaller drivers. which lasted into the final era of
steam locomotives on the Canadian Pacific Railway.
A NEW C.R.H.A. MEMBER ……..
ILLIAM FRANCIS works for the National Coal Board of Great Britain at
a coal mine near Atherstone, Warwickshire, and at the age of only
twenty-six years, faces retirement some time in the next five years. It
is painful to think that obsolescence can come at such a tender age, and it will
give cause for alarm to those of us who have become accustomed to think that
we are only over the hill and ready for superannuation in our sixties or seven
ties! And on this scale, William Francis is still very much in the prime of
life, considering particularly (if you have not already guessed it) that he is not
a coal miner, but CRHAs latest motive power acquisition, promised as a donat
ion to the museum upon retirement several years hence.
Not just another steam locomotive, we hasten to add. but one representing
a type never used on the North American continent. William Francis is a
standard-gauge. 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer-Garratt articulated locomotive, a small and
compact version of the more famous Garratts built principally for railways in
Africa. Asia and South America. It was outs hopped by Beyer. Peacock &. Com
pany at Gorton Works. Manchester. in 1937 (serial No. 6841) and is apparently
named for Sir William Francis Dugdale. of Merevale Hall near the mine. whose
family owned the colliery until the general nationalization of British mines under
the National Coal Board. in 1946. Three other locomotives. all 0-6-0Ts. work
at Baddesley Colliery along with William Francis. but the Garratt outshines
them all on the six percent grades and seventy-foot-radius curves that are char
acteristic of this West Midlands mineral railway. This is the last Beyer-Garratt
in the British Isles, the sole survivor in its country of origin of a famous design
which the British admittedly produced for export rather than for domestic use.
It may be asked what the conditions were which brought the Beyer-Garratt
into being in the first place. Briefly, the design was evolved to suit the require
ments for a powerful locomotive to be used on lightly-constructed. curving and
undulating railway lines. in less-developed areas of the world. Such conditions
were not generally met in North .America. where. because of the pre-existence
of heavily-constructed railways and corresponding rolling stock. such articulat
ed designs as the Mallet found favour. after exhausting the possibilities of such
things as ten-and twelve-coupled rigid locomotives. The Beyer-Garratt. which
consists essentially of two locomotive frames arranged back-to-back. upon which
a long. rigid frame, carrying the boiler. firebox and cab, is pivotted, has been
built in many sizes and types, ranging all the way from 0-4-0+0-4-0 through to
4-8-2+2-8-4. The positioning of the boiler and firebox away from the driving
wheels allowed the construction of these components up to the full size of the
loading gauge. making the Beyer-Garratt particularly advantageous to railway
lines of less than standard gauge. The Garratt is also far more flexible than
other articulated designs. permitting the twin locomotive frames to incline in
LEFT: William Francis in a recent photograph at Baddesley Colliery.
(Photo courtesy National Coal Board).
Canadian Rail Page 257
WillialX} Francis, continued ….
opposite directions at the same time when operating over sharp reverse curves,
or to tip upwards or downwards in opposing planes at humps or dips in the
track. Like tank locomotives, they operate with facility in either direction.
Beyer-Garratt locomotives are normally built on the simple expansion prin
ciple, though the first such locomotives, 0-4-0+0-4-0 types built for 2 -gauge
lines in Tasmania in 1909, were compound locomotives. Subsequent locomotives
have been largely of the simple arrangement but with impressive competence
both in speed and power. A 2-8-0+0-8-2 type built for the former LNER in En
gland exerted a 73,000-pound tractive effort at 85% of boiler pressure, and was
able to do the work of two normal 2-8-0 type locomotives, with lower original
cost, lower fuel cost and diminished crew expense. An express engine of the
Double Pacific (4-6-2+2-6-4) arrangement built for the Algerian Railways in
1933, and having 71 drivers, attained a speed of 81.5 miles per hour, at that
time a worlds record for an articulated locomotive. The prototype of William
Francis was an engine of the same wheel arrangement built for the Hafod Cop
per Works, near Swansea, South Wales. Several similar engines were built for
other industrial plants in Great Britain, including one for Sneyd Colliery near
Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.
It was news of the retirement of the Sneyd locomotive, which originally pr
ompted us to contact the National Coal Board on behalf of the museum. Unfor
tunately, the Sneyd engine was scrapped before anything could be done, but the
Coal Board, entirely on its own initiative, offered to earmark the Baddesley
locomotive for the Association, when it is finally retired from service a number
of years hence. Quite understandably, this offer was accepted by the Assoc
iation, giving us time in which to decide whether, at the conclusion of its ser
vice, it can be overhauled and put in operating condition, and if so, to accumul
ate the necessary funds for such a project.
We are particularly indebted to Col. F.W. Webb, the Under Secretary of the
National Coal Board, for his interest in our affairs, which resulted in the dec
ision to turn the locomotive over to us when it is retired. The Coal Board has
also cleared the donation with the British Transport Museum, so that there will
be no conflict of interest. For our part, William Francis will be an immeas
urably interesting accession to our International Collection, which began with
the arrival of the Brighton Terrier in September, and for which other candid
ates are presently under consideration.
This months diagram, shown at page 250, is from
the pen of one of our Junior Members, Rod Fournier. That he
should select the Associations yard engine as his first subject is
indicative of the esteem in which all members of the Museum and
Railway Committees hold this unpretentious but industrious unit.
No.9 is looked after by our very capable Master Mechanic, Donald
Angus, and will eventually carry the name SANS PAREIL.
LEFT: A CRHA first on the recent steam excursion to Victoriaville was the
chartered bus which motorcaded by arrangement, with some of the train
passengers. We are indebted to one of the latter, Mr. C.A. Moore, of Abington,
Mass., a regular patron of our trips, for this dramatic study of 6167 at speed.
Page 25$ Canadian Rail
81~ LEN 8BBTIC:&: BNDS
IN ADDITION TO the abandon
ment of a portion of the Minto
Subdivision in New Brunswick,
which is covered elsewhere in
this issue, the autumn of 196)
also saw Canadian Pacific Rail
way abandon an eighty-five-year
old branch line near Montreal,
extending 15.1 miles from St.Lin
to St. Lin Junction, where conn
ection was made with the CPls
Ste. Agathe Subdivision.
The constr~ction of the
branch to St. Lina came about as
the result of the colonization
movement which was particularly
strong in rural Quebec in the
last quarter of the Nineteenth
Century. Before the 1$70s,
there were only two short rail
ways on the north shore of the
St. Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers
in La Belle Province. The
need to accomodate an expanding
population making their living
from the traditional economy of
the soil resulted in the const
ruction of a number of railways
in this region during this dec
ade, beginning with the wooden
railway from Quebec to Gosford
in 1$74, a colonization line
from Montreal to St. Jerome pro
moted by the dauntless Father
Labelle in 1$76, and concluding
with the completion of lines to
Ottawa and to Quebec from Mon
treal in 1$77 and 1$79, respec
tively, under the auspices of
the provincial government.
The region around St. Lin
had been settled by farmers of
Scottish, Irish and French eth
nic stock in the first half of
the Nineteenth Century. The des-
t-French for St.Linus, success
or of St.Peter as Bishop of Rome.
cendants of the Scots and Irish
later removed to commercial pur
suits in neighbouring Montreal,
but their influence is still to
be seen in some local village
and township names in the area
such as New Glasgow, Kilkenny,
and St. Columban, to name but a few.
was parish priest of St. Jerome, and
it was largely due to his
intervention that the provincial
eovernment took over the mori
bund Montreal Northern Coloniza~
ion Railway~ and completed it in
October, 1$/6. While the
promotion of this railway was
still going on under private en
terprise, interests at St. Lin promoted
the charter for the
Montreal & Laurentian Colonizat
ion Railway, which was issued on December
24th, 1$72, and essen
tially provided for the complet
ion of a branch from the St.Jer
ome line upon termination of the
construction of the latter.
Doubtless to avoid confus
ion in the public mind of the
names of the two railways to St.
Jerome and St. Lin, the latter
line secured permission to alter
its name to Laurentian Railway
Company on January 2$, 1$74; no
thing was done toward construc
tion, however, until completion
of the St. Jerome railway in Oc
tober, 1$76. Then the building
of the Laurentian Railway began,
and the 15.1 miles were complet
ed in the season of 1$77, the
first train operating from St.
Lin Junction to St. Lin and re
turn on November 6th of that
The Laurentian Railway had one
locomotive only, a light
PHOTOS AT RIGHT: (top) Engine 29 on armstrong turntable at St.Lin
on November 6th, 1960. (bottom) Engine 25$0 with the last pass
enger train at St. Lin, March 29th, 1956. (Photos OSAL)
~ ~ Site of CRHA reenactment of
CPR last spike ceremony on
~~——~Jt–~C~P~ ______ Jl
4-4-0 which had been built by
Danforth in 1858 for the Camden
& Amboy RR in the United States,
where it had carried the number
23. The engine, which had 68
drivers and 14×24 cylinders,
was named J.H. Pangman after
the President of the Laurentian
In the spring of 1882, Can
adian Pacific Railway, now ex
panding eastward from its orig
inal terminus at Callander, Ont
ario, by acquiring existing rail
lines, purchased the Montreal
Ottawa line with the St. Jerome
branch from the Quebec govern
ment. It took the opportunity
at the same time to add the St.
Lin appendage to its growing
network, and on March 13th, 1882
the Laurentian Railway Company
was purchased by the CPR, who
continued to operate it for more
than eighty years.
The St. Lin operation was a
popular one for faster 4-6-Os,
assignments being held for many
years by the E class 2000 ser
ies engines. One of these en-
gines was E-5-e class 4-6-0 No. 2090,
built by North British in
1903 while another was E-4-b
No. 2038, the so-called Presid
ents Engine, which was for
some time named Jack Hartney
after its engineer. In later
years, the run was handled by
G-ls and G-2s.
Decline in traffic resulted
in CPR placing a petition to
abandon before the Board of Tr
ansport Commissioners in 1962,
but in handing down its decision
permitting the closing, the BTC
stipulated a waiting period to
remove its facilities at a dis
used army depot at Lepage, Que.,
and also to permit shippers in
the St. Lin area to obtain alt
ernate means of transportation.
Abandonment took effect on Oct
ober 1st, 1963, and thB line is
beine dismantled as this is in
The St. Lin Subdivision had
enjoyed a daily-except -Sunday
passenger service until April,
1956, when passenger service was
completely withdrawn, the last
train being hauled by G2 class
4-6-2 No. 2580.
This feeder railway lying
in the hinterland of Montreal
pursued a comparatively peaceful
existence throughout its life
time, and little of note appears
to have happened along its rel
atively straight, though undul
ating route. It is worthy of
note, however, that in 1960, the
Subdivision was chosen by our
Association as the locale for a
special train run commemorating
the 75th anniversary of the dri
ving of the last spike on the
Canadian Pacific main line, us
ing CPR 4-4-0 engine 29. This
run, which turned out to be the
last steam-hauled passenger tr
ain to operate on Canadian Pac
ific lines, was held on November
6th, 1960, this being the Sunday Page 261
closest to the actual commemor
ative date of November 7th. Two
days before the trip, CRHAs
Trip Committee realized that, by
complete cOincidence, the date
of the trip was also the exact
eighty-third anniversary of the
opening of the St. Lin branch 1
Those readers who particip
ated in our 75th Anniversary CPR
trip in 1960 will recall how
skilfully the motorcaders were
foiled when we held our last
spike reenactment in the middle
of a swampy bush a few miles
north of St. Lin Junction. Thus was
the tradition of the origin
al 1885 ceremony at Craigellach
ie preserved, when Sir William
Van Horne had stipulated that
those who wished to attend would have
to pay full fare.
MONTREAL –NEW YORK DAY TRAIN WITHDRAWN. In late November, the
Delaware & Hudson Railroad announoed the final run of the Laurentian,
its daily train between Canadas and U.S.A.s largest oities. Servioe
will end January 6th, 1964. fhe overnight Montreal Limited is not
affeoted by the announoement.
CANADIAN PACIFIC OFFICIAL CAR PRESERVED
A T VANCOUVER
EARL Y THIS YEAR, Canadian Pacific official car No. 16, out of service at
Calgary, Alta., was sold to the West Coast Railfan Association of Vancouver.
Peter Cox, our Pacific Coast Representative, is active in this group and tells us
that No. 16 was moved to Vancouver in May, and has since found a temporary
home at, of all places, the Canadian National Railways yard. The group plans to
restore the car to operating condition, and possibly use it on excursions out of
Vancouver on occasion.
No. 16 has a long and interesting history. It was built in 1890 by Barney &.
Smith, the celebrated carbuilders of Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A., as a sleeping car, in
which .role it served for some twenty years. In 1910, this car, then named
Sherbrooke was rebuilt into an official car and given the name New Bruns
wick. In November 1916, it was renamed Laurentian and then changed again
to Ontario in March 1918, only to have the name Laurentian restored again
in December of that year. In March 1923, it was renamed Selkirk and in May
1925 to British Columbia. It was reduced to the status of a divisional car in
December 1928, and given the number 16 at that time. Quite understandably,
the WCRA intends to restore the name British Columbia.
No. 16 is 644 long over end sills, and 721 overall.
a dining rOom, kitchen, servants room, two staterooms and
to reproduce a photograph of No. 16 at an ear ly date.
Its facilities include
a lounge. We hope
Page 262 ____ C_a;;;.n~adi an Rail
Notes and News
by W. L. Pharoah
* Canadian Worlds Fair officials at Montreal indicated recently that a monorail
system is being considered to convey passengers from Montreal to the island
exposition site in the middle of the Saint Lawrence River. The exposition. to
be held in 1967. will mark the centenary of Canadian Confederation.
* Discussions are being held between Montreal civic authorities and represen
tatives bf municipalities on neighbouring lle Jesus (to the northwest of Mon
treal Island) with a view to having the Montreal Metro Line No.2. under
Berri Street. extended northward from the presently-proposed terminal at
Boulevard Henri-Bourassa. under the Riviere-des-Prairies. to Ile Jesus.
Such an extension would aid in diminishing the considerable rush-hour high
way traffic which moves between Montreal and its northern suburbs.
* While no statement has been issued by Canadian National Railways. it is under
stood unofficially that the National System has purchased the Crusader
stainless steel passenger equipment of the Reading RR. The new acquisitions
comprise five cars. as follows:
Reading RR No. New CNR No. ~fCar
2 3800 Coach
3 1200 Tavern-Dining Car
4 3802 Coach
5 3801 Coach-Observation
* The City of Moose Jaw. preparing to celebrate its 60th Anniversary during
1964. has promised to support a proposal made by the Brotherhood of Loco
motive Firemen and Enginemen. to buy a stealTI locomotive from Canadian
Pacific Railway Company and mount it on display on a short section of track.
The Brotherhood intends to raise the $ 6.000 necessary by selling member
ships in a jubilee railway company.
Canadian Pacific Railway has sold official car No.7. formerly assigned to the
Superintendent at Farnham. Que •• and originally the official car Nova Scotia
of the Dominion Atlantic Railway. to the Upper Canada Railway Society. the
headquarters of which are in Toronto. At time of writing. the car was at
Angus Shops in Montreal being prepa:red for shipment to the Ontario capital.
* With the arrival of three further Co-Co General Electric diesel-electric
units. (Nos. 95-97. serial nos. 34592-94. March 1963). the White Pass &
Yukon Route has retired two of its four remaining serviceable stearn loco
motives. 2-8-2s Nos. 70 and 71 (Baldwin. 1938/39). The retirements took
effect in April. and leave only No. 72 and No.7 3 (B aldwin 1947) on the active
stearn rOster of the 36-gauge Alaska-BC-Yukon 110-mile carrier.
Canadian Rail Page 263
* The City of Ottawa has announced that the former Cobourg Street carhouee of
the Ottawa TraI).sportation Commission. is to be demolished in December.
The building is presently in partial use by the City of Ottawa roads depart
ment. but two electric cars remain there. sweeper No. A-2 and passenger
car No. 854. both of which were donated to CRHA recently. and are to be
moved to Delson. to join four other Ottawa electric cars already preserved.
The Cobourg carhouse was erected in 1908 by the former Ottawa Electric
Railway. whose name still appears on the building. The original section had
space for 48 single-truck cars. In 1913. an addition was built to the north.
adding six tracks to the original structure. It was closed as a carhouse upon
abandonment of Ottawas rail system in May. 1959.
SHA YS ON THE SWITCHBACKS
The British Columbia Railway Historical Association has recently published
a history of the Lenora. Mount Sicker Copper Companys railway. which extend
ed from the Lenora Mine to Crofton. on Vancouver Island. A small but signif
icant part of the Canadian narrow-gauge network. the Lenora Railway pursued a
short but colourful career in the early years of this century. over a route mark
ed by thirteen percent grades and seventy-five-degree curves. It seems super
fluous to add that the motive power on the narrow-gauge portion consisted of
Shay-geared locomotives exclusively ~
Written by Elwood White and David Wilkie. the 40-page book. profusely ill
ustrated and mapped. is well worth its modest price. and is a must for any
collector who even pretends to be interested in the rail history of Canada.
Shays on the Switchbacks can be obtained from CRHA. Box 22. Station B.
Montreal 2. Canada. The price is $ 1.25 per copy. postpaid. Use order form
The dies to make this plastic kit cost as much as the original
looomotive did ••• which makes me wonder what a dollar will be worth
in another hundred years! -Doug Wright, Montreal Star.
CANADIA.N RAILROA.D HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
Esla6lisheo 1932 • :Box 22 . Stalion :B . :Mollireal 2 . Que6ec • 8ncorporaleJ 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committee,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
CHAIRMAN, PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL: Anthony Clegg
John W. Saunders
frederick f. Angus
Robert Half yard
BEFORE YOU !lOVE-WRITE!
AI 1,1 5 wcck~ before )OU
mOle •• enl! u, flo letter, II. Cflrd,
or·1 Ilo,t-o((lee dutnlc-of.
address (orm lelHoK u. lJolla )our
OLD ADd rour NEW d.lrehes.
Kenneth f. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 West 2Bth Avenue, Vancouver B, B.C.
William D. McKeown, Apartment 201, BS9 Kennedy Road, Scarborough, Onto
William f. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J. S. Nicolson, 2329 Dufferin Avenue, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
PRINTED IN CAHADA
ON CANADIAN PAPER