Toronto Streetcar for Museum.
On July 18, 1963, Toronto Transit Commission streetcar No.2300
arrived at Delson aboard C.P.R. flatcar 301038. No. 2300 was very
kindly donated to the Association by the T.T.C. and before leaving
Torontos Hillcrest shops, had its gauge changed from TTCs 4 ft.
10 7/8 inches to standard 4 ft. 8~ inches.
This car is of considerable historic importance, as it was the
first car built for the Toronto Transportation Commission when it
took over the lines of the old Toronto Railway Co. on Sept.l, 1921.
At that time most of the T.R.s cars were of wooden construction,
some dating back to the 1890s, and the new Commission set about at
once on a large scale modernization programme. The Peter Witt de
sign was employed for the new cars, which were of steel and of the
most advanced type of construction. The main feature of the Witt
system was that entrance was by the front, and the conductor was
situated halfway down the car. A passenger could either stay in
the front half and pay as he left, or pay on passing the conductor
and ride in the rear half of the car. In either case the exit was
by a large door in the centre, there being no door in the rear.
This made possible quick loading at car stops,and consequent speed
ing up of service.
In all,between 1921 and 1923, the T.T.C. ordered 575 new cars.
These were made up of 250 large motor cars 51 ft. long, 100 smaller
motor cars 47 ft. long, and 225 trailers. The motors carried even
numbers between 2300-2678,and 2700-3018, while the trailers had odd
numbers between 2301-2419, and 2701-3029. These cars were built by
Canadian Car and Foundry in Montreal (475 cars), Ottawa Car Mfg.Co.
in Ottawa (50 cars), and Brill ($0 cars).
No. 2300 was one of the Large Witts, was built by Can-Car,
and was the first of the order, being completed in August, 1921.
The new equipment was first placed in service on Dctober 2, 1921,
and the modernization progrrunme was completed in 1923. Subsequent
ly no new cars were built until the year 1938 when the first PCC.s
made their appearance.
2300 saw some alterations during its years of service. In
1935 in co~non with all Witts, a blue light was placed on the roof,
as well as 4 lights on the dash. In 1936, the wooden seats were
replaced by leather covered seats, and in the same year cars 2300-
2322 were converted to pay-enter one man operation. Also, the gear
ratio was changed to permit higher running speeds, as these cars
were often used on the Long Branch route.
In this somewhat changed form,2300 continued in passenger ser
vice until 19$1. In that year it became a training car, and contin
ued in use as such until 1962, When, with the near complete retire
ment of non-P.C.C. equipment, car 4000,the first P.C.C. in Toronto,
became the new training car, replacing 2300. For some time its fate
remained in doubt, but,since the T.T.C. had offered the CRHA a Witt
car,it was finally decided to choose 2300, as it was felt that such
LEFT: The Toronto Transportation Commissions 2300 series
were new when this photo was taken at the Canadian Car
Foundry Companys plant opposite Turcot Yards in 1921.
a surviving member of the class is being preserved at
Canadian Rail Transportation Museum at Delson.
••••••• the fastenings seouring the tram were cut away, and
at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 27th,1963, No. 2300 was
pulled off T. T. C. rails for the last time •••••••
Photo: Fred Angus
an historic car, having survived in good condition for so long, de
served a better fate than being neglected and scrapped. According
ly, the car was repaired and regauged at Hillcrest, a pair of TTC
60 lb. rails fastened to the flatcar, and the streetcar was loaded
and shipped to Delson, passing en route within a mile of the now
abandoned Can-Car plant where it was built, 42 years ago.
With 2300 at Delson aboard a flatcar, the big problem was how
to unload a 51 ft., 25 ton streetcar without a crane. The problem
was solved by jacking up the moveable portion of our old faithful
stub switch, so forming a ramp up to the end of the flatcar. The
fastenings securing 2300 were cut away, our gas electric No.9 moved
gingerly up the ramp, coupled to the streetcar, and at 4:00 p.m. on
Saturday, July 27, 1963, 2300 was pulled backwards off T.T.C. rails
for the last time, and moved slowly and carefully down the ramp to
By this method of unloading, the wiring and brake rigging were
not disturbed, and the entire car is complete and in excellent con
dition. This is the only standard gauge Toronto Witt car in exist
ence,and one of only two large T.T.C. Witts to have been preserved.
Thus, No. 2300 fills a large gap in the C.R.H.A. collection, by re
presenting both another Canadian city and a major type of electric
railway vehicle. It will be an important exhibit in the museum at
DO I ~h–~ j I
t .f: ~
__ ~h.–:r-.- —r!
Vi ctoriavi lie
by F. Angus and
E. L. Modler.
Anyone passlng through Montreals Central Statlon on
the mornlng of Sunday, October 27, 1963, could not have helped
notlclng the large number of people oarrylng cameras, and sportlng
ral1way badges, englneers oaps and the 11ke. The reason for th1s
was soon obvlousl thls was another C.R.H.A. steam excurslon.
Thls year the destlnat10n was V1otor1avl11e, 106 m11es
east of Montreal, and the mot1ve power was C.N.R. s famous 4-8-4
Northern type steam looomot1ve No. 6167. Th1s eng1ne has seen fre
quent use on exours10ns 1n the Toronto area in the last few years,
but this day marked the f1rst time it was so used on a trip from
Montreal. The summer-11ke weather wh1ch had set reoord high temp
eratures dur1ng much of Ootober oontinued through the 27th, and,
despite some apprehens1on, the day was clear and br1ght, ideal for
Departure time was set for 8:30 a.m. The long line of
passengers slowlyd1sappeared through the gate lead1ng to the traok,
and soon all but 30 of the enthusiasts were aboard. The rema1n1ng 30 were due
for a speo1al experienoe. Arrangements had been made
to oharter an open-top bus whioh would pace the tra1n along the
parallel h1ghway between St. Lambert and Beloe1l, a d1stance of
some 20 m11es. The bus could be ridden by anyone who had an excur
sion ticket, and who paid a small addit1ona1 fare, and so, at 8:20,
the bus departed from 1n front of Central Station. At 8134, Pas
senger extra 6167 East cons1st1ng of a 12-oar train of 9 coaohes,
1 baggage car, and 2 Cafeter1a cars, steamed out of Montreal to
start the memorable trlp. St. Lambert was passed at 8:50, on t1me, where
the train beoame Work Extra 6167. Soon after the bus appeared
in s1ght, paralleling the tra1n and affording a un1que opportunity
of photograph1ng the eng1ne. Conversely, passengers on the train
had a un1que opportun1ty of photograph1ng the bus -another C.R.H.A.
At Beloeil the train stopped and the bus passengers boam
ed, bring1ng the total passenger list to 622, the most yet carr1ed
on a C.R.H.A. trip. At this point we had the f1rst runpast of the
day, and th1s was, 1n fact, a double feature. The train d1scharged
some passengers at Beloeil, then performed a mov1e run, let off
more people at Otterburn Park, aoross the R10helieu River, then
made another run, and p1cked up both groups of people; thus one had
the opportun1ty of photographlng the train from e1ther side of the
r1ver. Departure from Otterburn Park was made at 9:48, and, follow-
1ng a 24-m1nute water stop at St. Hyacinthe, a high speed runpast
was made at Upton. The crews changed at R1chmond and more water
was taken. Also, 120 bottles of Bulls Head Ginger Ale, kindly
donated by Bryants, were placed aboard. Those who were on last
years tr1p to Sherbrooke needed no 1ntroduction to Bulls Head,
and this welcome donation was d1str1buted free of charge to the
younger passengers. Then on to V1ctor1aville, wh1ch was reaohed at
Page 224 Canadian Rail
On reaching Victoriaville, the entire train was turned
on the Y, 6167 received coal and water, and at 3:12, the train
pulled out on its return journey to Montreal. Two more runpasts
were held at bridges at mileages 63.9 and 73.7, a further water
stop and change of crew at Riohmond, and the train, now Passenger
Extra 6167 West, prooeded. stopping at St. Hyacinthe for water and
night photography, Beloeil and St. Lambert to disoharge passengers,
and Bridge Street to ohange engines. Here, 6167 was taken off and
replaced by electric engine 187, to the accompaniment of photogra
phers flash bulbs. Central Station was reached at 7:28 p.m., only
3 minutes late, so completing another great C.R.H.A. trip.
The C.R.H.A. and the Trip Committee take this opportu
nity to thank those whose efforts made this excursion a suooess.
Speoial thanks is due to Canadian National Railways for their 00-
operation, also to the Montreal Gazette, and to radio stations CJAD
CFCF and CFOX, whose publicity made the trip known to many who would
otherwise not have attended. Many others, too numerous to mention,
also deserve our thanks.
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS Speoial # 437-63.
Engines & orews: 6167, Montreal-Riohmond Engineer, C. Glenn
6167, Riohmond-Viotville Engr.,J.Parenteau
187 (eleotric) Bridge St.-Montreal
Engineer, H.Rondeau Helper,R.Chapleau
Train crews: Montreal-Riohmond Conduotor Motugas
Trainmen, M0rin and Brady.
Richmond-Viotoriaville Conductor Legendre
Trainmen, Labonte and Lacroix.
C.N.R. VI.Edge, Supervisor of Passenger Sales, Montreal Area.
W.C.Buell, Transportation Offioer, Champlain Area.
J.R.Brault, Asst.Superintendent, Champlain Area.
E.O.Rood, Master Meohanio, Champlain Area.
M.Chadwick, Sr.Asst.Foreman, Montreal Yd.Diesel Shop.
CRHA. W.pnaroah and P.Murphy
12 cars: Express oar 9131
53~1, 5444, 5369, 5638, 5511, 5370,
55 2, 5378, 5367
Cafeteria cars 493, 497
Weight of train (exoluding engine): 890 tons.
Cover pho to and phO to s at right provided courts By J. Norman Lowe.
~j. .• … ~: ….. ; •. J ~.:
Somewhat over twenty thousand persona visited the CNRs train
and locomotive display at Dorval, Que., over the weekend of October
18-20. Sharing the honours for attention were the National Systems
6153 and 40, the CRHA a British locomotive Waddon and a partial
consist of the CNS Super Continental. The equipment was lined
up on the Dorval spur in the above-mentioned order, and visitors
were invited to enter the cab of 6153 as well as tour through the
renovated and refurbished cars of the Continental.
Literature and information describing the historic steam en
gines were distributed by members of the CRHA, while CN representa
tives were on hand to answer queries regarding the passenger equip
ment. This included a modernized dining car, three sleeping cars,
a lunch-counter car, the Matinee lounge and coach-lounge 3001. A
diesel A unit was at the head-end to supply steam heat and to
provide a finished appearance to the train.
Photos: R. Half yard and A.Clegg
Canadian Rail Page 227
Tk WINTER 1~
NEW FARES, TRAINS, FOLDERS
GHT FA 1.1 TIME CHANGE
But Passenger Servioe Cuts Continue in Many Areas
by Forster A. Kemp
If a review of the new timetables
of Canadian railways was to app
ear in the daily press, it might
bear the above headline, for the
end of Canadas summertime con
fusion (Daylight Saving Time) has
been the occasion for Canadian
THE NEW FOLDER S •
National to extend its Red,White
and Blue passenger fares to
-lestern Canada and for Canadian
Pacific to introduce its competi
tive Faresaver plan, which is
not quite so Calendar-bound as
the CNR plan.
The most strikin~ departure in the new folders has been in Can
adian Pacific Folder A, which now has a black cover, printed in
red. Separate folders are to be provided for the French and English
languages, although the appearance of the French edition was delayed
due to an error. This ends a period of about seventy years during
which Folder A has had a yellow cover. The interior layout haa
changed very little, except for the system map, which has been
changed back to the Poole Bros. 1938 edition from the more recent,
but almost-unreadable, one in the April issue.
The Canadian National abandoned its recent fascinating photo
graphic mosaic covers in favour of a twelve-month calendar of RED,
WHITE AND BLUE days, with some sample fares on the back. Inside
the equipment tables have been separated from the schedules and
put in the back of the book, in Official Guide fashion. The map and
fares are also in the back. Tables have not been renumbered, making
it easier to pinpoint discontinued passenger services.
THE NEW TRAINS AND SERVICE CHANGES.
Canadian National accounts for most of these, with much re
scheduling of trains and re-assignment of equipment, including RDC
units. The entire service between Moncton and Saint John, N.B., has
been converted to Railiners with an additional train (Nos.623 & 624)
operating daily in each direction. Trains 643 and 644 now operate
daily instead of six days a week.
The Ottawa-Montreal service has been increased to five trains
in each direction (3 express, 2 local) with the addition of late
evening train 49 leaving Montreal at 11:30 p.m. Trains 47 and 46
now make the journey in 1 hour 59 minutes. Trains 45 and 50 are now
locals between Coteau and Ottawa, as are 3 and 4 Continental.
Between Montreal and Toronto, extra Pool trains known as Holi
day Specials have been introduced during the Christmas and New
Years peak periods. These trains are scheduled to make the 335 mile
journey in exactly 6 hours,the fastest timing since the early 1930s.
Page 228 Canadian Rail
THE WINTER TIMETABLES –con tinued
In the Montreal-Vancouver service, the schedule of Train No.1
the Super Continental has been reduced to 66 hours and that of No. 2
to 65 hours, 40 minutes, finally bettering the famous 67 hour run
made in 1925 by oil-electric railcar 15820. These trains now have
all seats reserved in coaches and feature refreshment lounges
(bars) for both coach and sleeping car passengers. These were pro
vided by removing the smoking section of a 5435 series coach and the
bedrooms am. buffet from a fortcar and installing panelled lounges
with venetian blinds and drapes. The lounge coaches are numbered in
the 3000 series and the first-class lounge cars in the 2300 series;
names and numbers will appear next month. Dinettes, as well as din
ing cars, will operate throughout the winter. The Continental
Trains 3 and 4 now carry 8-section I-bedroom buffet sleepers between
Montreal and Saskatoon, after two winters of coach-only operation.
Connecting trains 177 and 178 now have coach accommodation in addi
tion to the sleeper formerly carried.
In the Montreal-Halifax service, coach seats on the Ocean Lim
ited (trains 1 and 2) are now reserved, but the principal feature
has been the re-appearance of trains 59 and 60 The Scotian as a
full-fledged train with a diner and four regularly-assigned sleepers
including a Fort bedroom buffet-lounge car (not all of them are
being converted to lounges). The westbound Scotian, departing from
Halifax in the early evening, allows a better connection with the
Super Continental at Montreal. The Maritime Express has become a
Montreal-Campbellton local train with coaches and a cafeteria car.
A connection to Moncton is provided by Train 104, but no sleeping
cars are operated.
SERVICE REDUCTIONS AND DISCONTINUANCES.
The following passenger and mixed trains were discontinued,end
ing all service on the lines they served:
RY. TRAIN NUMBER BETWEEN AND FREQ.UENCY REPLACEMENT
CN Mixed 239-240 St .Felicien Chibougamau Tri-weekly None
CN Bus 81-82 Longlac Fort William Daily Greyhound X
CN Bus 79-80 Geraldton Longlac Daily Greyhound X
CN Psgr. 5-6 Winnipeg Regina Ex. Sat. None
CN Psgr. 9-10 Winnipeg Saskatoon 6 days wkly, None
(discontinued May 18-passenger service ended between Canora and
Saskatoon only -Winnipeg-Canora served by Trains 75-76)
CN Psgr. 9-10 Saskatoon
(discontinued May 16)
Calgary Tri-weekly None
CN Psgr. 693-694 Kamloops Jct.Kelowna Daily Greyhound
CN Mixed 221-222 Saskatoon North Twice
Battleford weekly none
CP Psgr. 123-124 McAdam Edmunds ton Ex. Sun. None
CP Psgr. 211-212 Moose Jaw Macklin Tri-weekly None
CN bus services made close connections with main line trains
at Longlac. The Greyhound service does NOT connect with ANY CN
train in EITHER direction at EITHER end of the run. This marks the
end of scheduled bus services operated by Canadian National. The
Detroit-Windsor bus service is operated by Greyhound under contract.
In Prince Edward Island. the mixed train servioes formerly op
erated six days weekly from Charlottetown to Souris. Georgetown. and
Murray Harbour will operate three times weekly this year from Deo.16
to April 25. Each
train will leave Char
lottetown in the morn
ing and return in the
afternoon. The Murray
Harbour train will run
via Mt.Stewart Jet. to
Lake Verde, thence to
Hazelbrook, return to
Lake Verde, then to
Vernon (the famous
loop) return to Lake
Verde, thence to Mur
ray Harbour, repeating
the process on the re
turn trip. Lake Verde
thus has six trains a
day~ The tri-weekly
Summers ide Tignish
mixed train will not
operate this season.
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
, •• r •• fMII ..
.. .. ..
Other trains discontinued include Railiners 609-610 between
Halifax and Moncton; 631-632 between Charny and Mont Joli; 197-198
twice weekly between Senneterre and Chibougamau; 211-212 weekly
mixed between Armstrong and Sioux Lookout; 215-216 weekly mixed be
tween Redditt and Winnipeg; 215-216 weekly mixed between South Parry
In Saskatchewan, tri-weekly Saskatoon-Hudson Bay Trains 31-32
were replaced by Railiners, quickening their schedules and adding
the usual 600 to their numbers.
Canadian Pacific Trains 427-428
were deprived of their sleeping car
straight coach trains.
A FEW NOTES.
Sudbury-Sault Ste.Marie, Ont.,
and buffet-coach and are now
Some of the service changes this year were not made at the
change of time, but earlier. or, in one case, later. The withdrawal
of CN Trains 9 and 10 was made in May, of CN 5 and 6 in June, and of
CP Trains 211 and 212 in July. CP Trains 123 and 124 are scheduled
to make their last trips between McAdam and Edmundston, N.B., Satur
day, November 15.
The new fares are not universal as yet, but it is simpler to
state where they do NOT apply than where they do. These areas are
as follows: Pool Service zones -Montreal-Quebec via Trois Rivieres
(CP) and via Richmond (CN) -Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto
(except via Ottawa-new fares apply Montreal-Ottawa); Quebec & Mont
real -Lac St. Jean area -Chicoutimi, Dolbeau (CN); Quebec & Mont
real -Abitibi area -Senneterre -Rouyn -Cochrane (CN); Medicine
Hat -Lethbridge -Nelson -Penticton -Spences Bridge (CP); Inter
national routes -Montreal -Boston and New York; Toronto -Chicago;
Winnipeg-St.Paul and Vancouver-Seattle.
On tlREDII days, it is cheaper to travel Montreal-Toronto via
North Bay than over the direct route1
Page 230 Canadian Rail
The M.T.C. Historical Collection.
MOTOR FLAT CAR NO. 3151.
Fourofthese cars were built
by Canadian Car and Foundry Co.in
1925,-Nos. 3150 to 3153. Length
over end sills is 34 ft. and the
weight is 41,500 Ibs. The under
frame is of steel, and the capa
city is rated by CCF as 55,000
Ibs.and by MTC 40,000 Ibs. Trucks
are of the standard MTC freight
car archbar type with GESO motors
and GE402 control.
SINGLE TRUCK SWEEPER NO. 51.
This was one of the more mo
dern single truck sweepers in the
MTC snow fighting fleet. Itis one
of four (Nos. 50 to 53) built by
Ottawa in 1925. The others were
scrapped in 1957.
R. M. Binns
Nos. 3150 and 3152 were con
verted to snow plows in 1950, –
the latter being sold to Cornwall
Street Railway in 1957.
No. 3151 was used for const
ruction work and for carrying
supplies, principally crossties,
timber, castings, etc. It is
equipped for side stakes.
No. 51 has high-speed brooms
driven by bevel gears instead of
chains. It is typical of much of
the snow fighting equipment that
kept Canadian street railways op
erating throuBh winter storms.The
weight is 39,000 Ibs.
TOOL CAR NO. 3200.
A number of special cars were
employedby the MTC for transport
ing fare boxes to and from the
Cashiers Dept. at Head Office.
Two of these, Nos. 3011 and 3012,
were built at Youville Shops in
1920 and 1922 respectively. In
1928 a third car was built, No.
3200. Collection and delivery of
the boxes was made ona siding off
Place diArmes Hill, behind the
Head Office building then located
on the southwest corner of Craig
St. and Place diArmes Hill. In
1929 the headquarters were moved
DOUBLE TRUCK ONE-MAN PASSENGER
CAR NO. 1959.
Montreal was late in adopt
ing one-man operation on lines
~ther thanlight shuttle services,
Jut in 1926 a medium-sized, light
one-man car was developed by MTC
engineers and Canadian Car and
Foundry Co. which was to prove
highly successful. This was the
1900 class which were purchased
in three groups:-Nos. 1900 to
1949 (1926), Nos. 1950 to 196~
(1928) and Nos. 1965 to 2004
(1929), making altogether 10,5 cars
in the series, plus six double
end cars of the same design, num
bered 2600 to 2605. A cream and
maroon paint scheme was adopted
to signify front entrance to
Our example, No. 1959, was
of the 1950 sub-class. There were
some construction differences be
tween the three groups,but essen-
to the present location at Craig
and Cote StS.j and the Trans
portation cars, as they were
called, were withdrawn and trucks
substituted. Nos. 3012 and 3200
were thereafter used as tool cars
while No. 3011 was converted to a
Pay Car. ThUS, No. 3200 served
its original purpose for only a
bout one year.
No. 3200 has a steel under
frame and wood body 37
The car weighs 43,400 Ibs.
tially the dimensions and equip
ment were the same:-Length over
2, weight 36,250 Ibs.
with body of composite steel and
wood construction. Equipment con
sisted of K 35-SB control, with
WH.510-A2 motors rated at 42 HP.
Brakes were Can. WH. safety car
equipment with M-28 variable load
brake valve. Trucks CCF type
F 790 with 26 wheels.
Some of these cars remained
in service until the end of tram
way operation and No. 1959 was
chosen for preservation because,
in addition to being in good con
dition, its number coincided with
the final year of electric car
service in Montreal. Another car
of the same group, No. 1953, has
been preserved by Mr .Donald Angus,
our Honorary President, at his
The upper photo on the following page shows MTC 1953
reaohing its final resting plaoe at Sennevi11e, Que. The
lower photograph shows MTC 1959 making its final
trip up Papineau Avenue as part of the historio par
ade, August 30th, 1959.
On page 234, number 3517 is shown entering the oere
monial gate at the Mt.Royal oarhouse at the oomple
tion of this historio parade. 3517, the last tr am
purohased for passenger servioe in Montreal, was also
the last streetoar to operate in the City.
DOUBLE TRUCK PASSENGER CAR
This car is a good example
of the lightweight designs deve
loped in many places during the
late 1920s. On the premise that
many of the major lines were best
served by two-man cars, Montreal
Iramways Co. made important pur
chases of modern two-man cars in
1927-28-29. The 2100 class, of
which our No. 2222 is a member of
sub-class 2180, were received
from C.C.& F. Co. in three groups
Nos. 2100 to 2149 (1927) Nos.
2150 to 2179 (1928) and Nos. 2180
to 2239 (1929), making in all 140
PCC CAR NO. 3517.
Being well supplied with mo
dern cars, MTC did not take ad
vantage of the PCC design which
emerged in the late 1930s. Dur
ing the war, however, shortage of
cars became serious and some sec
ond hand equipment was acquired
in the United States in 1941 and
1942. After that time the only
equipment available was from a
limited output of PCC cars by St.
Louis Car Co. Late 1943 an allot
men t. of 2$ of these cars was
The cars were smooth-running
and popular with the public. In
construction, which is of compos
ite steel and wood, every effort
was made to create a pleasant in
terior without projections of
straps,bars,light bulbs or cords.
Trucks and motors are the
same as those under No. 1959.
Control is K35-XB manual, without
dead man feature. Brakes are
WH. straight air M20 valve. An
odd feature for cars of this type
and period is the manually oper
ated front door. The car is 46
2 overall and weie;hs 37,800 Ibs.
granted and the order placed.
This was to be more or less of a
trial, as there was some doubts
as to the suitability of this
type for Montreals winter condi
tions. The order was almost im
mediately reduced to 18 because
of restrictions placed on the man
ufacture of transit vehicles by
US war production authorities.
The eighteen PCC cars, num
bered 3500 to 3517, were put in
service in March, 1944, on the
Outremont line (Route 29) where
they remained for almost their
entire life. This line was chosen
because it covered diverse sec
tions of city where a fair cross
section of the population would
have a chance to use the new cars.
Also this line provided some fair
ly long stretches where the cars
would not be mixed with the older
types on overlappine routes. With
some minor adjustments, and by
discontinuing the use of the track
brake the cars performed quite
satisfactorily. These PCCs were
really a wartime version, as sub
stitute materials and some alter
native equipment had to be used.
The body shells were fabricated
by St. Louis and the trucks sup
plied by Clark Equipment Co., in
Chicago. The cars were assembled
and finished by Canadian Car and
Foundry Co. in Montreal. Length
is 46 ft. and the weight 37,000
lbs. Motors are WH l432-55H-300V
series connected in pairs.
During the final year of
tramway operation the PCCs were
transferred to the Papineau and
Rosemount lines, these being the
last lines to go. No. 3517, being
the last passenger car purchased,
was appropriately selected to be
the last car to operate on the
streets of Montreal. After par
ticipating in a parade and suit
able ceremonies on August 30th,
1959, No. 3517 pulled into Mount
Royal carhouse through an archway
labelled The End of an Era. We
are indeed fortunate to have for
the museum the first and the last
Montreal electric car, spanning a
period of sixty-seven years.
The Canadian Pacific Railway unveiled details of its FARESAVER
PLAN on October 21 last, and followed with a more complete descrip
tion in a recent issue of Spanner, the company publication. In
brief, the plan provides reduced fares on CP passenger trains, except
in the Pool Zones (Toronto to ~uebec City) and on international runs.
The FARESAVER plan will thus enable more and more people to enjoy
low cost travel on Canadian Pacific trains all aoross Canada (except
as noted above). Heres how the plan works:
Fares are greatly reduced in all travel classes –in reserved
seat coaches, in tourist cars and in first class sleeping cars. The
basic passenger fares fall into two main categories —those
for passengers making one-way trips in excess of 520 miles, and
those for shorter journeys. For travellers going more than 520mi
les, there is one low bargain fare good every day of the week. This
rate is identical to the Canadian Nationals Red day fare. For
travellers who are going on trips of 520 miles and less, there are
two fare levels. The lower level (again matching the C.N.s Red day
fare) is good for trips started on any day except Friday and Sunday.
The higher fare (identical to CNs White day fare) applies to the
heavier traffic days of Friday and Sunday.
Passengers occupying room accommodation or sleeping car space
have the alternative of purchasing tickets covering passage fare and
accommodation only, (with the opportunity of separately purchasing
meals of their choice in the dining car or dome coffee shopJ,or, al
ternatively, of purchasing all-inclusive tickets, which include the
price of meals.
It is of interest to note that FARESAVER rates, as published,
are in effect only until April 14,1964, and to speculate on whether
or not the rates will be adjusted after that date, to reflect the i~
creased passenger traffic during the summer months when the CNsBlue
fares are effective. During the winter months, basic transportatmn
fares offered by the two transcontinental railways are identical ex
cept during Christmas and New Years holiday weeks and two days near
SAMPLE FARES in effect until April 14, 1964
Coach one-way Faresaver Old Rates
Montreal-Vancouycr $43.00 $90.99
Toronto-Winnipeg 20.50 41.45
Calgary-Montreal 34.00 79.00
Edmonton-Toronto . 32.50 67.00
Edmonton-Vancouver . 14.50 25.00
Roomette One-way Faresaver Rales
Montreal-Vancouver $82.00 $156.50
Toronto-Winnipeg . 37.50 67.90
Edmonton-Montreal 62.00 125.25
Winnipeg-Edmonton 29.00 46.90
·Old rates adjll~tecl to remove provision for gratuities which are not covered under
the Faresavcr Plan.
ABC Tourist Attraction
The Es~uimalt 8 Nanaimo Railwa~_.
P. O. Hind
Sunday October 20th saw the third railfan trip in four weeks on
the Canadian Pacific Railways Esquimalt and Nanaimo Division on
Vancouver Island. This particular trip was sponsored by the West
Coast Railfans Association from Vancouver, under the guiding hand of
President Peter Cox. The three trips were noteworthy in that they
were the first times in quite a few years that there had been a CPR
passenger train over the Port Alberni Subdivision, and the first
times the Esquimalt and Nanaimos Budd Dayliner #9054 had negotiated
The West Coast Railfans Port Alberni Special got under way at
11:30 a.m. from Victoria Mile O. CP #9054 was sold out with a full
capacity load of eighty-nine passengers, over half of whom were from
Vancouver, the balance being made up of Victoria and Island Railfans
including at least two CRHA members. After a good start, car #9054
with Engineer Wiley at the controls, passed through the Victoria
City Yard Limits, then proceeded to Goldstream Mile 10.7, and the
base of the Malahat mountain section, which through a series of 2%
grades reaches a height of over 1500 ft.
Niagara Canyon Mile 13.7 was reached at 12:01 p.m., and Engin
eer Wiley proceeded slowly across the 300 ft. high bridge,then
backed up slowly, enabling all concerned to get excellent pictures
from choice vantage points. We then proceeded to mile 15.8 Tunnel
Hill, where again Engineer Wiley passed back through the tunnel and
then proceeded forward to enable fans to photo the unit emerging
from the tunnel. Although it is only about sixty feet long, it is,
nevertheless, the only tunnel on the entire E&N Railway. At mile
25.0 the car was stopped to enable passengers to photo the cairn
marking the last spike on the E&N Railway. Mile 58.it, Ladysmith,
was reached at 1:40 p.m. and we were able to photo Comox Logging
RailwayS 2-8-2 #11 and Shay #12, both recently retired and mounted
on permanent display.
Nanaimo, Mile 72.5, was reached at 2:20 p.m. and Engineer Wiley
was replaced by the Northern Division Engineer. Fast time was made
between mile 72.5 and Parksville mile 95.2. At Parksville, new or
ders were handed up for the Port Alberni Subdivision. Parksville,
incidentally, is Mile 0 of this division.
Upon leaving Parksville the track swings to the left and pro
ceeds to Cameron Lake Station. After leaving this point, the track
climbs on a 2% grade around Cameron Lake on a series of sheer rock
faces interspersed with many trestles, some of which are built right
against the rock walls of the Mountain Base. Most of them are on
curves, and some have even been built on S curves, so difficult is
the terrain there, the whole area around Cameron Lake being one of
the most rugged sections that the Railroad traverses on Vancouver
Island. The colours of the lake and surrounding country are fantas
tic and even a dull overcast day failed to dim the beauty of this
The summit of the Alberni Subdivision was reached at Locharkaig
Mile 21.1 where the engineer checked his brakes for the descent to
the Alberni Valley.
C.N. 6218, now being overhauled at the Systems Stratford Shops,
was leaving Truro for Montreal when photographed by Mr. Kenneth
MaoDonald of Fredericton, N.B. This engine will in all likelihood
be the last steam locomotive to operate on the Canadian National
We passed Mount Arrowsmith, the tallest mountain on Vancouver
Island, but unfortunately it was obscured by cloud and was not vis
ible. At Mile 24.0 we reached Holt Trestle, a curved structure of
magnificent proportions, approximately 200 ft. high by about 500 ft.
long. Again the engineer backed up car 9054 to allow a photo run on
the trestle. From mile 24.0 to Port Alberni, the end of the line,
we descended a practically continuous 2% grade. Port Alberni was in
view at mile 24.0 but due to the line being about 1200 ft. high at
this pOint, we had to circle the whole valley to get down to the
terminal. The Valley was beautiful to see, a variety of fall colors
mixed with farm lands and various logging camps. Port Alberni was
reached at 4:40 p.m., right on the advertised time. After a brief
stopover we left at 5:25 p.m. and proceeded back to Parksville. Un
fortunately darkness overtook us before we reached Parksville, and
we were only able to see the very vague shape of Cameron Lake as we
descended from the summit. The Vancouver group left us at Nanaimo
to catch their ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver. Engineers were again
changed at this point and Engineer Wiley was again at the controls
of car 9054 from Nanaimo mile 72.5 to Victoria. A very brief stop
at Duncan mile 39.7 to pick up a new set of orders gave us one meet,
the only one of the day. northbound freight with Baldwin D 10 es
#8002 and 8010 at mile 20, Malahat Summit.
whole day was deemed a complete success, and was made poss
ible through the magnificent cooperation of the CPR, their Passenger
Agent Mr. Holt, of Victoria, and the train crews of both the North
and South Divisions. Nothing was too much, photo run pasts were
timed to perfection, and all concerned were allowed a visit to the
head end in pairs under the guiding hand of Mr. Holt. We ara trying
very hard to boost rail tours on the Esquimalt & Nanaimo, not only
for railfans. but as a tourist attraction, and believe the complete
success of this trip was an excellent beginning to many more such
Compiled by W. L. Pharoah.
* Dont think that ON painters oant spell should you see boxcars
lettered OANADIEN NATIONAL. This is merely the latest innov
ation in ONs surprisingly swift transformation from a predomin
antly English-speaking institution to a French-language oriented
company, at least insofar as its Quebeo operations.
* The Board of Transport Oommissioners has approved an unopposed
applioation by ON to abandon 8.5 miles of track between Rawdon
and St. Jaoques, Quebeo. The order is effective not earlier than
* O.F.R. Fresident, Mr. N.R. Orump reoently rode in the oab of a new,
experimental train at 130 miles per hour during a visit to
Japan, but he said he doesnt see any applioation of that speed
to his companys operations in Oanada. Mr. Orump desoribed the
New Tokaido Line, on completion to run 325 miles from Tokyo to
Osaka, as the most advanced pieoe of railroad in the world. The
researoh work and equipment oost the line $ 1 billion but it is
expected to get its money baok in ten years handling 35,000 pas
sengers a day.
* ONs new Monoton passenger station was opened recently. The new
station is deoorated in the bright colours of the ON redesign
program. Above the entrance the words Gare ON Station are em
blazoned on a red panel and serve notice that the Systems biling
ualism program will not be restricted to Quebec. On both ends
of the building the name of the city is displayed in large illum
inated signs, providing passengers with easy identification of the
station at night.
* ON ran a l2-oar freight train into Matagami recently, officially
inaugurating a new $9 million branoh line built to help open up
this rioh mining oentre in northwestern Quebeo. While a orowd of
200 watched in 40-degree weather, the train pulled up by a flag
bedeoked platform holding the official welooming party of railway,
government and mining offioials. In a brief official oeremony,
ON Fresident Donald Gordon said the railway now has built 678
miles of new branoh lines sinoe the end of the Seoond World War, and
another 512 miles are under construotion. Mr. J.O. Oantin,
Farliamentary assistant to Transport Minister MoIlraith. said that
railways will remain truly indispensable for a long time opening
up Oanadas north. Today the railway takes its essential
place in filling the transportation needs of the area. The new
line is 61 miles long and features a 953-foot bridge over the
surging Bell River.
Canadian Rail Page 239
a CN has leased fifteen EMD-bui1t road switcher units from the
Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Railroad for a five-month period.
The units, rated at 1750 h.p. each, were delivered to the D.W.& P.
at Duluth –five on October 31, five on November 1, and five on November
2. They are to be assigned to Winnipeg and used on the
Prairie and Mountain Regions for hauling grain traffic. Weight
and clearance restrictions are reported to prevent their use east
of the Lakehead. The locomotives are equipped with six-wheel
trucks and six traction motors and have a number of special features
such as multiple bell-ringers, hump control and extra heaters.
DM&IR NOs Class Built Recd b~ CN
132 RB-3 1958 Nov. 2 134
1.5 9 to 163 RS-4 19.59
164 to 168 RS-4 19.59 Nov.
a CN is installing removable wooden roofs on 500 open-top enter
prise cars to make them suitable for carrying grain. Work is
being done at the Transcona Shops in Winnipeg. Enterprise cars
are normally used to haul gravel and crushed rock during summer
months and generally remain idle in winter. The railways shop
men are manufacturing the roofs from plywood and caulking the
joints to make them waterproof. Each roof, containing four hat
ches to facilitate loading, will be bolted to angle brackets welded
to the top plates of the cars. Grain can be unloaded from eight
hopper doors located on the underside of the cars, proving partic
ularly beneficial at spots where grain must be unloaded manually.
t A rather sad sight in the eastern part of Montreal during September
and October was the graveyard for seventeen MTC PCC cars and a number
of work equipment units. The photo below was received from
Mr. A.W.Jones of Beaconsfield, Que. The eighteenth Montreal PCC
has, however, found a home at De1son.
Doug Wright –The Montreal Star
The car wouldnt start, my feet are wet, ChrIstmas is coming and beers gone up. How are YOU?
CANADIAN RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
EJta6liJfie3 1932 • :B .. 22 . Statian:B Jvion/reai 2 . Que6ec • 8ncorporat,3 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Committee,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. Subscription: $2.50 annually.
CHAIRMAN, PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL: Anthony Clegg
John W. Saunders
frederick F. Angus
Robert Half yard
BEFORE YOU MOVE-WRITE!
AI len. 5 week,. bdore lOU
moc, .(u, UI /I leller, c5Ird.
or a pOII.ollle4l chlln,e.of.
addreu lorm telliol u. bOlh ,·our
OLD nnd your NEW adrfrcu:c..:.
PACI fI C COAST:
Kenneth f. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
William D. McKeown Apartment 201, 859 Kennedy Road, Scarborough, Ont.
Wiiliam F. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J. S. Nicolson, 2329 Dufferin Avenue, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
PRINTED I N CANADA
ON CANADIAN PAPEA