Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 148 1963

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 148 1963

) RS.mfLll
Issued II times yearly by
Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Number 137, pictured
here at North Bay, Ontario, on September 3rd, 1963, was
formerly Canadian National Railways 2164, sold in January
1963 to the Ontario Northland Railway. The Ontario­
Government-owned line has renumbered the looomotiT8 into
the numerical series formerly ocoupied by O.N.R. 2-8-08
and lettered the tender with the original name of the Ry.
(Photo by
Barry Biglow.)
Page 194 Canadian Rail
Everyone was busy at Melville, Saskatchewan, when liThe
Continental Limited
paused for servicing on June 26th,
1948. The above photograph, taken from an open doorway
of the second seotion of the transcontinental train,
shows the looomotive maintenanoe staff inspecting C.~.R.
6049, the looomotive on the first section of the train.
Baggage and express handlers are transferring parcels
from the trains to platform carts, while to the rear,
car orews are busy replenishing the ice supply in the
air-conditioned first-class oars.
Red, White,
a Blue.
The Canadian National Railways, on September 16th, announced
sweeping changes in its passenger train services affecting almost
every area of Canada. The National System plans to introduce a
concept to cross-country train travel, and effective October 27
will alter transcontinental schedules, equipment, service and pric­
Briefly, the changes are as follows:
EXTENSION of the Red, White and Blue fare scheme to include not
only the Atlantic Provinces, but CN transcontinental services and
all C.N. passenger train services in the four Western Provinces.
Under this plan, fares will be cut by as much as 58 per cent.
PROVISION of complimentary meals to passengers holding sleeping car
space under the Red, White and Blue plan.
INTRODUCTION OF re-designed equipment to its main transcontinental
train, the Super Continental.
IMPROVEMENT of the Super Continentals cross country schedules.
RE-INTFlODUCJION of the Scotian, operating between Montreal and
Halifax, as a truly first-class train.
{vIr. Pierre Delagrave, CNs General Sales Manager -Passenger
(who was guest speaker at the CRHA Banquet last April)announced the
radical changes during a coast-to-coast press conference on closed­
circuit TV. He declared ••••• we are making these changes because
the transcontinental market is a very large one. We feel that
long distance automobile travel is losing considerable appeal for
a large part of the market. CN is offering prices, comfort and
convenience that you simply cannot get from an automobile. These
changes, on our railway, might be called explosive for never
before have so many improvements been made simultaneously to pass­
enger train operations.
Extension of the Canadian Nationals revolutionary Red, White
and Blue fare plan will see transcontinental and western Canada
train fares cut by more than half. The new fares will make it
possible, for example
to travel from Halifax to Vancouver and re­
turn for as little as ~114.00 on a Red (bargain) day. When the
new fare scheme goes into force, all other fare plans will be sus­
pended in the affected areas.
Cutting three hours in each direction, the Super Continentals
new schedule also will improve arrival and departure times at major
cities en route. Connections with other main passenger trains
also will be better. Redesigned equipment will offer more attract­
ive facilities. For passengers with sleeping accommodation, eN
will provide most appealing lounge cars, with almost double the
seating area of present cars.
Coach passengers, in addition to being offered the 10Hestfares
for regular travel by any railway, will also occupy completely re­
designed equipment. They will have their OHn refreshment lounge
and coach attendants will be on hand. Coach attendants will also
be assigned to the Ocean Limited between Montreal and Halifax. All
coach space on the Super Continental and Ocean Limited will be on a
reserved basis, although there will be no charge for this service.
The new version of the Scotian will provide service comparable
to that of the Ocean Limited.
Not only were the details embodied in Mr.Delagrave
s announce­
ment of almost revolutionary importance to the railway passenger
business,but the method of presentation gave CN the honour of being
the country
s first business organization to hold a coast-to-coast
press conference by closed circuit television. A twelve-city hook­
up from Vancouver to St.John
s was used by the railway to announce
the sweeping changes. Outside of Montreal, where the conference
originated, reporters from the other parts of Canada vlere linked to
the proceedings by two-,-Iay broadcast lines and television monitors
located in Railway offices and. CN hotels. [Ir. Delagrave was the
man before the cruneras,answering in English or French the questions
fired at him by newsmen.
Newspapers, radio stations and television across Canada feat­
ured the news, while many dailies gave the CN
s announcement front­
page coverage. Mr. Delagrave made it clear that the 11 National Way
was ready to go further in making rail travel at trac ti ve. There
is more coming in the months ahead,but as of October 27th the train
~assenger will benefit from such things as the elimination of the
$1 reservation charge for coach seats; reservations will be accept­
ed in the restaurant cars to eliminate the frequent line-ups; table
games for children and adults; coloured linens, table wines; and
more and more •••••••••• II

Canadian Ra.i1 199
A S tro u die y_II_T_e_r_r _i e_r_I_1 _I n_C_o_n_o_d_o_.
-0. S. A. Lavallee
Normally, the arrival of an ocean vessel in the Harbour of
i10ntreal holds little interest for the railway amateur, unless, as
is frequently the case, the individual is also interested in ships
and shipping. However, the progress of the Norwegian freighter
TAUTRA, of Trondhjem, under charter to Cunard Steam-Ship Company,
was of considerable interest to the members of our Association, as
it made one of its periodical transatlantic crossings in the latter
half of August, for its hold contained one of the museums most
interesting acquisitions, the British steam locomotive Waddon.
The arrival of Waddon, an eighty-eight-year-old 0-6-0T loco­
motive, was in accord with the pattern set by previous British pro­
totype locomotives which have visited North America: King George
V of the GlJR in 1927, Royal Scot of the LMS in 1933, and Coro_
nation Scot, also of the LMS, in 1939. There was one notable
difference in this latest arrival, however: Waddon had come to
North America to stay,and is the first standard-gauge British loco­
motive to do so for historical reasons.
The background of the story takes us to the winter of 1960-61,
when, the initial task of acquiring and preserving sufficient exam­
ples of Canadian motive power and rolling stock being well under
way, the Railway Committee turned its attention overseas. One
might well ask how non-Canadian equipment fits into an admitted 1 y
Canadian museum, and the answer was and is quite simple. The Asso­
ciation feels that a few well-selected non-Canadian exhibits will
supplement and contrast with the Selkirks and 6100s, the X-lOs and
D-4s, which have been such a familiar part of the Canadian railway
scene. In planning our museum, the directors were impressed by the
fact that in no railway museum now existing is there an exhibit
showing a European and a North American railway locomotive, side by
side. Despite the fact that the railway locomotive traces a common
ancestry back to the Penydarran locomotive of 1804, its development
took place, in the ensuing century, along vastly different lines on
either side of the Atlantic, induced principally by geography, by
economics and by natural resources. With the advent of the electric
and the diesel locomotive, technology has tended to reconcile the
two fields, with the concessions, if we may so call them, being
made more by the European school than by the American, with the
former adopting designs long used on this side of the ocean.
Accordingly,it was resolved that just any locomotive would not
do; and that the candidate or candidates would have to represent
what we considered to bethe classical period of locomotive develop­
ment. the last quarter of the Nineteenth Century. At this time,
the divergence between transatlantic practices was probably at its
height. From these conclusions, it was but a natural step to sel­
ect one of several remaining examples of a famous locomotive design
the 0-6-0T small passenger tank locomotives which were designed by
William Stroudley of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway, and
built between 1872 and 1880. To these tank engines the Brighton
Lines passengers characteristically appended the endearing nick­
name of Terriers,
A letter dispatched by the then-Secretary of our Association,
Kenneth Heard, to the Chairman of the British Transport COlnlnission,
General Sir Brian Robertson, elicited a reply that British Railways
would be very pleased to donate a Terrier locomotive to the Asso­
ciation, provided, of course, the CRHA would underwrite the cost of
its transport to Canada.
The Association neither specified, nor did British Railways
indicate, at that time, which particular locomotive would be sel­
ected for this purpose. We had to wait for another year, until the
spring of 1962, when we were advised that the locomotive selected
was in departmental carriage and wagon service at Lancing Works,
Southern Region, and was No. 680s.
Receipt of this advice precipitated a flurry of research acti­
vity. In short order it was determined that No. 680s had been built
at Brighton Works in December 1875, as London Brighton and South
Coast Railway No. 54, ftWaddon~. The engine had been named Waddon
after a village in Surrey on the London-Epsom line between Hest
Croydon and Sutton. It had pursued an interesting career thereafter,
having been sold to the rival of the LBSCR, the South Eastern &
Chatham Railway, in 1904. At the time of grouping, in 1923, the
locomotive came into Southern Railway and thereby rejoined its re­
maining sisters, which had come into the SR when the Brighton road
was absorbed at the same time. In the interim, the remaining loco­
motives had been reboilered and changed somewhat, and the erstwhile
Waddon was relegated to works service from that time onward. It
was alternately in storage and in service for the next thirty years.
In 1948, it was absorbed by British Railways along with the whole
Southern Railway system, and was withdrawn finally on December 31st,
Our close connection began with it when in June, 1962, at a
ceremony at the Preston Park works of the Pullman Company at Brigh­
ton, England, the locomotive was officially presented to Mr. Donald
Angus, Honorary President of CRHA, representing the Association.
During the winter of 1962-63, negotiations were entered into with
British Railways, who agreed to restore the original Stroudley
brown-and-green livery for the sum of z500/-/-. This work was com­
pleted during the spring and summer of this year, culminating in
the loading of the locomotive aboard the steamer TAUTRA at King
George V Dock, London, on August 24th. After a stormy ocean cross­
ing, the little locomotive was unloaded by one of the Montreal Har­
bour floating cranes on Friday, September 6th, its polished pipes,
copper-capped chimney and brightly-painted decor reflecting splend­
idly the bright late-summer sun. Along with it came a 21-foot sec­
tion of original LBSCR track, complete with bullhead rail, chairs,
and keys. An unexpected gift was the locomotives vacuum automatic
brake apparatus, removed in the process of restoration (the LBSCR
used Westinghouse air brakes) mounted on a piece of frame of a
scrapped locomotive. By prior arrangement with Canadian National
Railways, locomotive, track and brake exhibit were whisked away to
Point St. Charles shops for interim storage, pending a motive power
exhibit wqich it is planned to stage in Montreal on the weekend of
October 19/20. At this time, appropriately enough, vladdon will
be displayed alongside an equally-classic North American contempor­
ary, the CNs nonagenerian Portland-built 4-4-0 No. 40. This loco­
motive was built for approximately the same type of service as the
British engine, and of about equivalent tractive effort.
Follo,ing the display, the rerrier
will go to its new home
at Delson,there to be joined in due course by one or two other non­
Canadian exhibits, selected with equal jUdiciousness, to make our
museum truly cosmopolitan.
The Central Vermont trainshed at St. Albans, Vt. was razed on
September 24th last. (See page 143 -June issue). The pho
to a bov e shows the s tru~ ture, familiar to pa s{3engers on eN
Montreal to New York trains, whioh had sheltered three gene­
rations of passengers from the elements.
The ninety-seven year old struoture, whioh measured 88 feet
by 351 feet, was dismantled as a safety and economy measure.
For the big-power enthusiasts who may be inclined to sneer
at the Terriers small size (26 ft. ~ in. overall) and weight (28
tons 5 cwt.), it is worthy of note that a sister engine,Brighton.
won a gold medal at the Paris Exposition of 1878 for design and per­
formance. On a power/weight basis, possibly the only means of com­
paring locomotive capabilities fairly, it considerably outranks the
CPR Selkirks and CNR 4100s, with a 7,600 pound tractive effort at
85%of boiler pressure,for a locomotive weighing only 56,500 pounds.
Far from its early duties at New Cross Shed, in the south of
London, our Brighton Terrier will represent in a fitting and dig­
nified manner, the land of birth of the railway locomotive engine.
More than that, Waddon, along with its sisters Stepney in oper­
ation on the Bluebell Railway preservation in EnGland, and :Ooxhill
in the British Transport Museum at Clapham, will remain a permanent
tribute to the competence and genius of vlilliam Stroudley, one of
Englands and the worlds most renowned locomotive designers.


.. ..;



. .

-r :1
…. ~

The M.T.C. Historical Collection.
Doub1e Truck Passenger Car No. 1317
This car represents a further
development of the basic Mont­
real deSign created in 1904.
No. 1317 is one of a group of
125 cars put into service be­
tween December 1911 and June
1913, and known as the 1200
class(nos. 1200 -1324 consecut­
ive). Forty were built by Can­
adian Car & Foundery Co. and
eighty-five by Ottawa Car Mfg.
Co. No. 1317 is one of the lat­
ter group. This class was the
last to have the l.fontreal type
Aside from the pneumatic rear
doors added, and the rear bulk­
head removed in 1925-26, this
car is little changed from its
original appearance. Construct­
ion is a composite of steel and
wood, with a resulting saving in
weight over the all-steel 901
class of some 9000 pounds.
Perhaps the most s1gnif1cant
advance in the des1gn of the
1200 class was the absence of
bulkhead doors between the front
vestibule and the body. Instead
a small wa1st-h1gh panel and
drop seat was located directly
behind the motormans position.
In this new treatment of the
front end we see a significant
step in the process of br1nging
the motorman out of the isolat­
ion of a drivers cab. It
gave the motorman more control
over the movement of passengers
at the front exit, and made it
easier for passengers to use
that ex1t.
The 1200s were very success­
ful and were used on pract1cally
all parts of the system, includ­
ing suburban lines. In 1943 the
cross seats were turned to a
longitudinal position to in­
crease their capac1ty for war­
time service. They were not
changed back to the original
The series remained intact
until 1952 when the inroads of
bus substitut10n began to be
seriously felt. The last run in
passenger service was made by
No. 1220 on the afternoon of
June 22, 1956.
Double-truck Passenger Car No. 1339
This is one of the 1325 class
cars which were put into service
between 1913 and 1917. The ser­
ies consisted of two-hundred
cars, the largest group of one
particular style ever to be pur­
chased in Montreal. Actually,
the design is almost identical
to the 1200 class exoept for the
roof which is of the arch type
and believed to be the first of
its kind 1n Canada. The order
was equally dlvlded between
Ottawa Car Mfg. Co. (Nos. 1325 to
1424) and Canadlan Car & Foundr,y Co. (Nos. 1425
to 1524) • Our
speclmen, No. 1339, was put lnto
servlce September 24, 1913, on
the Ontario Street line.
The flrst cars received were
assigned to the Ontario route
which lends some credence to the
stor,y that the arch roof design
was specifically adopted to al­
low passage through the railway
underpass at Valois Street. In
any event, when this underpass
was altered to allow greater
vertical clearance shortly af­
ter, the Company opposed sharing
the cost, olalm1ng that it had
already spent a large amount of
money purohasing oars specially
built to use the old underpass.
This sounds like a legal maneuv­
er and probably is only partial­
ly true, as by 1912 the arch
rOClf was beoomlng popular be­
cause of its lighter, stronger,
and cheaper construction, An­
other innovation was the placing
of the front route Signs inside,
above the front wlndows.
The 1325 class cars were most
successful and were used
wlthout restrlction as to grades
or clearances throughout the
system. Equipment consisted of
K-35 controllers and W.H. 533 or
GE.241 motors, all providlng ex­
cellent performance and depend­
ab11ity. Light weight was 45300
Locomot1ve No. 5001
This 1s one of two locomo­
tives built in Youville Shops in
1917 and 1918 and originally
numbered 1 and 2. They were re­
quired for switching railway
fre1ght cars to and from indus­
trial sidings along the Com­
panys lines, prlncipally on the
Montreal North Bordeaux and
the former Terminal Railway
lines, as well as the Coca-Cola
plant at Belleohase Street. The
locomot1ves were also used in­
termittently on the Cartierville
line when required to handle
cars carr,y1ng raoe horses be­
tween the C.N.R. oonnection in
Ville St. Laurent and Blue Bon­
nets race track.
No. 5001 1s 31-8 long and
weighs 85,000 lbs. It is equip­
ped with four W.H. 112 motors of
75 HP rating eaoh.
Last month, Canadian Rail published the first part
of a resume by Mr. R. M. Binns, outlining, in brief,
the history and important features of trams in the
M.T.C. Historical Collection. This month we pMmt
the second part of Mr.Binns contribution.
Page 208
Birney Safety Oar No. 200
Late in 1923, the Oompany
bought fourteen Birney cars sec­
ond-hand from the Detroit United
Railways. They had been in use
on the local lines in Flint and
Pontiac, Miohigan. In Montreal
they served on many outlying
stub lines and also on some
short oonnecting lines in the
city. These Bimeys, built by
Brill in 1919 were put into ser­
vice in Montreal in early 1924.
Orane Oar No. W-2
This unit was built in
Youville, Shops during 1924, and
fitted with a Brownhoist Co.
orane. It was used primarily in
traok oonstruction, but was also
useful as a wrecker and for gen­
eral material handling. The
length is 42 feet and the weight
Canadian Rail
Seven were scrapped in 1939 and
three sold to the Levis
Tramways 00. in 1944. Two were
scrapped in 1947. The remaining
car, No. 200(ex U.R.D. No. 223),
was used to transport fare boxes
between the Hochelaga storage
yard and the Hochelaga office
from 1945 to 1953. In 1954, it
was stored as an historic item
and is one of the very few Bir­
ney cars in operating oondition
on this oontinent.
77,600 Ibs. Lifting oapaoity is
as follows:
Boom radius
12 ft.
15 ft.
20 ft.
12,000 lbs.
8,500 lbs.
Double Truck Passenger Car No. 1801
This car is one of the lead
cars of 25 2-car trains built by
Canadian Car and Foundry Co. in
1924 (Nos. 1800 to 1824 and 1675
to 1699). The design is a dir­
ect copy of Brill-built cars -­
motor cars and trailers –ac­
quired between 1914 and 1922.
To assist the builders of the
1800 class, a Brill two-car
train was stationed at St. Henry
car barn, near tre C.C.F. works,
for convenient examination dur­
ing construction~ The weight of
the 1800 class cars was slightly
greater than that of the 1550s
from which they were copied,
being 46,700 Ibs. as against
Like the 1550-1625 class
trains, the 1800-1675 class had
WH PK multiple unit control pro­
viding either manual or automat­
ic acceleration. Trailers had
two motors on the front truck
only. All motorized trailers
could mate with 1550 or 1800
class cars. Cars of the 1800
class were withdrawn from ser­
vice on April 27, 1957.
Double Truck Suburban Passenger Car No. 1046
In 1902, ten suburban type
cars, known as the 1032 class
(1032 to 1050 even Nos.) were
turned out of Montreal Street
Railways Hochelaga shops for
the Montreal Park and Island
Railway Co. In the previous
year this company had been taken
over by M.S.R. but continued to
be operated as a separate organ­
ization. The 1032 class cars
were geared for 50 m.p.h. and were
typical of suburban cars of
that period, operating for the
most part along private rights­
By the mid-1920s the sub­
urban lines were becoming more
built up and intersected by more
street crossings, so that high
speeds were no longer possible.
Consequently a longer car of the
P.A.Y.E. city type was found to
-209 –
be more suitable and all of the
1032 class cars were completely
rebuilt at Youville Shops. The
original Curtis trucks were used
but the gearing changed to pro­
vide better acceleration and
lower maximum speed. Our car,
No. 1046, was turned out in
March 1924. It is 52 6 long
overall and weighs 51,700 Ibs.
Equipment consists of K 35 con­
trol and WH 533 50 HP motors.
The car is finished in a shade
of traction orange which was
used extensively by suburban
lines between about 1912 and
1936. This colour was consider­
ed to have the best visibility
against a summer background of
green foliage or a winter back­
ground of snow, and therefore
constituted a safety measure in
suburban running.
Eagle Lake 8 West Branch RR.
:trom informa tion in an article
appearing in a recent issue of
the Moosehead (Maine) Gazette.
Deep in the forests of the far northern reaches of Maine lie
Eagle Lake and Chamberlain Lake. These lakes are the headwaters
of the Allagash which js .. tributary ot the Saint John River, flow­
ing eastwards to New Brunswick. A few miles to the south of
Chamberlain Lake is Umbazooksus Lake, one of the origins of the
Penobscot River System, which flows southwards through the State
of Maine to the Atlantic.
On a small neck of land between the headwaters of these two
river systems rests the remains of an almost-abandoned railway,
the Eagle Lake and West Branch Railroad, which about thirty years
ago was busy hauling pulpwood for the Great Northern Paper Co. The
railroad tracks ran, (as they still do), through the dense,
dark woods far from signs Of oivilization, but now eleven of the
original thirteen miles of track are quietly rusting away, almost
hidden by the encroaching forest. The two steam engines, which
proTided the motive power on the Eagle Lake and West Branoh, to­
day stand abandoned in a shadowy barn beside the shores of Eagle
Lake, about one hundred miles north of Greenville, Me., and
some fifty miles to the southeast of Lao Frontiere, ~ue. It is
reported that the two looomotives were moved onto the line from
the ~uebec Central railhead at Lac Frontiere, hauled by horse and
man power under the direction of a M.-Edouard Lacroix of the
town of St.Georges de Beauoe, ~ue. Six hundred tons of rails and
fastenings tor the oonstruction of the line were brought in by a
similar method via Lao Frontiere and the hamlet of Clayton Lake.
In its busiest hey-day, the railroad hauled over 800,000.
oords of pulpwood, but those days are gone. Only two miles of
the track have been maintained in passable condition. This is a
two mile stretch between Eagle and Chamberlain Lakes, where the
distriot fire warden operates a gasolene speeder in order to
patrol his stretch of forest. All other activity has long since
oeased, and the line has been almost entirely engulfed by the all­
embracing woods which were the original reason for its oonstruct­
Mixed Train to Hemmingford .
.0:… a turday, September 26th may have been a White Day on C. N.
~runs in the Mariti:ue Provinces, but on the Systems line bet-
ween Montreal and Hemmingford, Que., it was a Red Day,a White
Day and a Blue Day all at the same time. Not, mind you, in the
ma t ter of fares, but in the colourful oombination of orange -red
foliage, fleeoy white olouds and olear blue sky which favoured
partioipants on the CRRAs recent speoial trip to Barrington and Hemmingford.
ninety-four mile exoursion was scheduled to commence at
10:15 a.m. at the site of the CNs former Turoot East Station. We
had gathered some 70 strong long before the advertised departure
time, and spent the extra minutes speculating as to the days ac­
tivities, whioh locomotive would be used, and the like. Our
conjectures were out short however with the arrival of C. N.1719 a
Montreal-built road switcher in the new CN oolours of red,Wrlte
and blaok. It was hauling a short ten car mixed train. As
there are no regularly-soheduled mixed trains in the Montreal vi­
oinity, we knew it must be our train —a combination of regular
way freight and chartered passenger. Eagerly we embarked in­
to both the open gondola and the coach which had been marshalled
into the train for our use immediately ahead of the van. It was
not long, however, before some of the group made friends with the
conductor and were permitted to travel first-class in the cup­
Our route took us over the Butler Street line and past llie
Pointe St.Charles locomotive shops, where the line-up of electric
looomotives, diesels, and steam generator units created a good
deal of interest. (A visit to these shops and a tour of the
Montreal terminals might be a successful outing for the Assoc i­
etion at some future time.) Then over the Victoria Bridge, and
past St.Lambert, where we paused to allow the Ambassador to
proceed ahead of us on its trip to New York. Thence to Cannon
Junction and onto the former Granby Sub. of the Montreal d: Sruth­
ern Counties line. The name of the junction inoidentally comm­
emmorates Mr. Bob Cannon, the last Superintendent of the M&SC Ry
with whom the CRRA had many a pleasant dealing. It was the Ass­
ociations first org~nized trip over the old M&SC line since in­
terurban oar days, and another first over the CTC equipped line
between Castle Gardens and Brossard. At this latter junotion,
we left automatic-signalled territory and proceeded onto train­
order despatched Massena Subdivision.
At Laprairie, we began the days work by picking up orders
and setting off some wayfreight. Four miles further on, at Del­
son, we left our three freight
gondolas and a box car. No
business for St.Constant, but the agent took the opportunity of
putting on his stations double windows while the train crew was on hand
to help. At St.Isidore Jct., another box car was spot­
ted on the siding, and the train of diesel, two boxcars, passen­
ger fun-deck gondola, coach and caboose proceeded at a oautious
paoe down the Hemmingford Sub. The first stop on this line
was at St. Remi, where Clarks Canning Company received the two
boxcars by means of a flying switch. The passenger-carrying
eqUipment was uncoupled and the locomotive and boxcars backed on
the main line. The first attempt was made at too slow a pace,
and the conductor at the switchstand cancelled the move. Suo­
oess was aohieved on the second try and the two freight cars ware
eN 1719 Bwitohing at St. Remi, Quebeo.
Barrington Sta~ion and diamond, slowing
train 491 on Val1eyfield Subdivision.
safely put away on the industrys siding. Th1s was quite an in­
teresting manoeuvre for those not accustomed to suoh switohing
moves and provided an exciting interlude in the daYs aotivities.
The train then proceeded along to Sherrington and Barrin~
Here at the diamond of the Valleyfield Subdivision, we were de­
tained while a switching move was oompleted by a Coteau -bound
train and while the army of photographers from our gondola reoor­
ded our passenger extra crossing the Barrington diamond. A mile
or so further on, we had another photo run-past at the cros­
sing of the highway. We reaohed the eud of the line -Hemming­
ford -at 2:46 p.m. and the photographers had another field dayl
reoording on film the locomotive, the orew, and the first pass­
~nger train in the village sinoe April 27th, 1957. Then, time
for lunoh.
Canadian Rai 1 Page 213
One hour after arrival, the passengers had returned to the
wooden frame station, and the locomotive, gondola and coach were
turned on the weed-grown wye just north-west of the platform. The van was
subsequently re-coupled and the passengers embarked for the
return trip to st. Isidore Junction and Montreal. There was no
switohing to be done on the return journey. The sun whioh had
favoured us with its presenoe throughout the day was finally sink­
ing behind the oloud-banked horizon as the short mixed train lett
Brossard for CTC territory and Turoot. Twilight did not last long,
and the lights of the oity were twinkling in the distance as we pau­
sed at St.Lambert to let off some of the South Shore passengers. We
took the Seaway detour span between St.Lambert and the old Viotor­
ia Bridge, and rattled past the Pointe St.Charles Shops as the lo­
comotives were being prepared for their nightly runs. Then, over
the Butler Street line to Atwater Avenue, and on to Turoot East.
Here ended our travels. We bade farewell to the train and engine
crews who had been so indulgent towards us. We had paid our fares
to ride the gondola and the ooach, but the way we were welcomed
aboard the Tan (and even permitted to peek inside the diesel cab)
made the trip that much more enjoyable for many.
statistical summary prepared by Mr. Ernest Modler follows:-
Consist: Engine 1719 1200 hp MLW road switcher.
Gondolas CN 148877 and CN 149701
Box car CN 589751 Gondola
eN 149717
Box cars eN 531884, 535887 and538902 Gondola
eN 149516 (for passengers)
Coach CN 5265 Van
eN 78867
In charge: Champlain Area, CNR: Trainmaster-Rd. Foreman, Mr.J.P.
Psgr.Sales Rep., Mr.J.J.Lapointe
Can.RR.Historical Assn: Mr.William Pharoah
Grew: Conduotor -Mr.F.G.Prefontaine
SChedule: Brakemen –
Mr.J.J.Laframboise and Mr.J.A.Vezina
Engineer -Mr. M. Hogan
Helper Mr. J.E. Michaud
Turcot East
St.Isidore Jot.
st. Isidore Jot.
Turoot East
L. 9.38
11.16 11.47
A. 1.46
L. 3.12
A. 6.24
3 3 3
3 3 3
No. of
Cars Remarks
oars. 23 mins late
28 31

(Set off 4 oars)
47 mins 1a te
44 (Ex.4533W(491)
46 cirouit
oars. 72 mins late.

(photo stop)
9 mins late
(detrain passengers)
9 mins late
~P~a~g~e~2~1~4~ _______________________________________________ Canadian Rail
Notes and News
by W. L. Pharoah
Mr. Donald Gordons re-apPointment as ohairman of the CN Board
of Directors was announced October 4th by Prime Minister Pearson.
The 12-man Board is expected to meet soon to confirm Mr.Gordon as
President of the National Railways. Although the official ap­
pOintemnt is for a three year term, it is rumoured that Mr.Gordon
will retire from the Presidenoy after about 18 or 20 months.
In addition to CNs spectacular Red White and Blue transcontinental
fare scheme, reported in more detail elsewhere in this issue, rail­
ways continue to make news in Canada during the past month. Almost
oonourrently with the Nationals announcement, the CPR made public
its intention to introduce a Faresaver plan. To date of this
writing, however, no details have been released.
Effective September 18th, the Canadian Pacific introduced a new
Montreal-Ottawa service. The five car passenger consist features
a skyline coach, or dome car, two regular coaches, and a 40-seat
parlour car. The scenio dome or observation car provides meals
for passengers. Sohedules are:-
Montreal 6:55 am
Ottawa 9:30 am
Ottawa 4:00 pm
Montreal 6:35 pm
The announced improvement is CN service between Montreal and Ottawa
will not be effective until October 27th. It is reported
that these changes will feature a late night train leaving Mont­
real at 11:30 pm and arriving in Ottawa at 1:35 am.
On the Montreal-Levis-Quebeo run (on the South Shore of the St.
Lawrence River), the Quebec Chamber of Commerce is seeking the
establishment of an improved rail passenger service, according
to Quebec City newspapers. It is reported that the Canadian
National has submitted concrete proposals to the C.P.R. on the
subject, although as the Montreal-Quebec runs are in Pool Terr­
itory, neither road can make major changes in the present sys­
tem without the agreement of the other.
The CN recently requested permission of the Board of Transport
Commissioners to cease passenger operations between Quebec City
and RiChmond (which service oonnects with Riohmond-Montreal trains).
This permission, however, was denied by the Board.
Five hundrea CNR box cars are being oonverted by the Railways in
their Pointe St.Charles Shops. They are being equipped with new
nine-foot doors and are coming off the production line at the rate
of ten per day.
Contract for the oonstruction of the new CN technical research and
test laboratory has been awarded to Louis Donolo, Inc. The centre
is being established in Ville St.Laurent between Cote de Liesse Rd. and
the CNs Montreal Yard.
Canadian Rail Page 215
Mr. Donald F. Purves, assistant vice-president of the ONs researoh
and development department outlined the possibility of integral
coal trains at a recent Conferenoe on ooal in Halifax. Mr.Purves
stated that the volume of coal traffic would have to be sufficient
to keep at least one set of equipment busy in a shuttle service,
carrying 7,000 to 10,000 tons of ooal per trip •••• by-passing yards
and avoiding costly switching moves. Up to now, the requirements
of the Canadian market for coal have not been concentrated enough
to warrant setting up such arrangements, but by the year 1975,
thermal power plants are expected to oonsume some 21 million tons
annually, making an integral train arrangement feasible.
Interest in the London and Port Stanley Railway has been expressed
reoently by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, which operates through
st. Thomas, Ontario, and has divisional offices in that oity. The
L.! P.S. formerly had an extensive passenger business operated by
frequent electrio trains, but now handles freight only and operates
both eleotric and diesel locomotives. No price has been mentioned
and no official negotiations opened for the sale of the line now
owned by the City of London, Onto
The demands which will be made on Canadas railways as the re­
sult of the recent Russian wheat purchase have been the subject
of many an editorial during recent weeks. ¥ost prediotions
are that both major Canadian rail systems will be able to under­
take the jop satisfactorily, but that every locomotive and all
available grain-carrying cars will be required. • •• many road
crossings will be blocked by long freights during the next several
months •••• there will be trains of box cars loaded with wheat
wheeling to the Lakehead, the Paoific coast, and to the Hudson
Bay port of Churchill •••• it is going to mean a lot of trains
and thousand of carsll…. The Canadian National has optioned
the right to rent up to 75 locomotives from U.S. railroads, al­
though details of this arrangement are not yet available.
Baggage Buggies will be introduced by the eN System when the
National Railways new Monoton station opens later this year.
The contraptions, which resemble the carts in supermarkets,
are designed to help passengers move their luggage around from
the time they arrive at the station to the time they board the
trains, or vice versa. They are intended as a supplement to
Redcap service, and not as Ii replacement ••
The Canadian Pacific Railway has been given permission to discon­
tinue passenger trains 123 and 124 between McAdam and Edmunds ton , N.B.
No announcement has been made about when the change will
take effect, but the Board of Transport Commissioners has given
its sanction to the abandonment,
In Nova Scotia, however, the CN has been under fire for having too
many passengers. Acoording to civio officials in Sydney, many
patrons are being forced to stand up during the trip between Sydney and
Truro because there are no seats available. (Is this proof
of success of CNs campaign to lure the passenger back onto the
railway??? Ed.)
On the CNRs Grand Trunk Western lines, however, passenger receipts
have been declining at an alarming rate. Harry Sanders, vice pres­
ident of the GTW has announced local Detroit traffic dropped from
over a million passengers in 1954 to 447,000 in 1962. He indicated
that the line needed about a million passengers a year to break even.
Still On the Tracks -Ed McNally. The Montreal Star
[,ta6/i,(eJ 1932 • 130x 22 . Station 13 . Jlt/on(a/ 2 . Que6ec • {lncorporaleJ 1941
CANADIAN RAI L: Published eleven times annually by the Publi cations Committee,
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. Subscription: $2.50 annually.
oIilliam Pharoah
John W. Saunders
frederick f. Angus
Jeffrey forrest
Robert Half yard
Omer Lavallee
Lindsay Terreau
AI leftll 5 week, boforo you
mOH, ~enfl us leiter, a card,
or post·oUice chnn,c·o(.
ddren form IdllnK UI holll your
OLD ODd your NEW addreu.
Copyright 1963
Kenneth f. Chivers, Apartment 3, 67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
William D. McKeown, Apartment 201, 859 Kennedy Road, Scarborough, Onto
oIilliam f. Cooksley, 594 McDonald Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Onto
J. S. Nicolson, 2329 Dufferin Avenue, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Demande en ligne