Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 144 1963

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 144 1963

c;a:n.adia:n.
J~mfLn
NO. 144 I MAY 1963
Here, captured in its twilight, is a scene which, a few short years
ago, could have been observed, with minor variations, in numerous
locales throughout this vast land. The particular subject is eNs
6066 at Port Arthur. With blower roaring and water pump thumping,
she is impatient to be about her business of wheeling the passeng­
ers in her charge safely to their destinations.
Paul Maysenhoelder
Page 90
Canadian Rail
New Canadian Pacific Locomotives.
The Canadian Pacific Railway has recently taken delivery of three
new diesel-electric units, one of which is the first of its type in
the world. This is a 2400 h.p. DL-640-A, built by Montreal Loco-
motive Viorks. The other two units are GP-30s of 22.50 h.p. each,
delivered by General Motors Diesel Limited of London,Ontario. All
three locomotives bave been acquired for high-speed freight train
operations and are considered to be rebuilds as shown in the fol­
lowing table:
New No. H.P. Builder Rebuilt from
8200 8201 8300 22.50 22.50
2400
GMDL
GMDL
MLW
1902 (Psgr.A.unit)
1910 (Psgr.A.unit)
8474 (Rd. switcher)
The new diesel uni ts make use of rna jor re-usa ble parts from the
former Canadian Pacific locomotives. Most important of the de­
sign changes is a new concept of pressurizing the body of the
diesels to keep out dirt and moisture, and thereby obtain from the
electrical and engine components a longer working life and a better
performance. Other new features are higher capacity traction
motors, improved running gear and higher fuel capacity with no in­
crease in total weight.
Besides being unique on Canadian rails, the three units are llie
first loco~otives to carry Canadian Pacifics modern script mSignia
which recently made its appearance on other types of C. P. rolling
stock.
A photo of CP 8200, courtesy of the Canadian Pacific, is shown
below.
..,
-~ .
®, ~:
.:­
t.J~ •
….. , ·1
NOW In ONTARIO
II
..
C.N. s now-famous Red, White and
Blue fares, inaugurated experi­
mentally on May 1st, 1962 on eN
lines in Eastern Canada (excl.
Newfoundland)were prolonged last
May 1st for a further period and
extended to include the Province
of Newfoundland.
Now, effective June 23rd.,
a similar arrangement has been
worked out in conjunction with
the On tario Northland Railway for
Red, White, and Blue fares and
services between Toronto -North
Bay -Cochrane -Moosouee -and
Hearst. In addition to the
new fares, an extra train on an
improved schedule will be placed
in service between Toronto and
North Bay, covering the ;2.28 mile
run in 51i hours.
The accompanying s};:etch map shows
the Ontario lines on which
the new fare arrangemen ts are ef­
fective. It is hoped that the
,
t ~
Lines in Onr. ~ ~
on Ulhich Iied. ~ J~_er ~
IYhire a B!ve v …. , J I
}!:cr
tl
In ___ ~~ .Bay t
~
Other ell R J~
lines with II
DosSflnSBr Moosonee
serv,ce ~
.T.W.
new passenger train service and
fares will be as successful in
Ontario as the original arrange­
ments were in eastern Quebec and
the Maritime Provinces.
C. N. R. Steam Power Not Dead.
A Special News item of particular interest to readers of Canadian
Rail is the announcement that steam locomotives will not disappear
completely from Canadian National lines at least until after the
year 1971. The C.N. Railways plan to overhaul and rehabilitate
Northern type steam locomotive No. 6218, class U-2-g. The en­
gine, which has been at Pointe St.ChBrles for the past few years,
will soon be sent to the Na tional Sys tem s Stra tford Shops, wllere
the rehabilit:.ation work will be carried out. The intention is
to have the engine in first c~ss operating shape by the end of
next year, when the only operating steam power on the System will
be forced into retirement. With limited use, it is expected
that Number 6218 will be available for Special Trips, Centennary
celebrations, and Exhibitions from 1965 to mid 1972.
pholo by Knudsen
1/-ain on Front Street With View of Shops
photo by Knudsen
Baileys Bay Crowds Leaving 1/-ain for Caves
r
~
I
I
Ca nad ian Ra i 1
Page 93
BERMUDA RAILWAY
& S RE.CENTL Y AS fifteen years ago
~ it was possible to get on board a
gasoline-driven interurban car and
take a ride over Khyber Pass, all in the
middle of the North Atlantic Ocean~
This rather startling statement of
fact may seem to stretch the limits of
credulity, but nonetheless it was sO,
granting that the Khyber Pass in this
case was not the famed mountain path­
wayan the North West Frontier of India
where. as all good cinema-goers of the
1930s will recall, the Bengal Lancers
fought a seemingly-endless battle again­
st the warlike Pfridi. No, this Khyber
Pass is on the Island of Bermuda which
explains the middle of the ••• ocean
part of the statement. The gasoline­
driven interurban reference is, of
course, to the Bermuda Railway, a 22-
mile, standard-gauge system which
functioned in an automobile-less para­
dise six hundred miles off the eastern
coast of North America.
The far-famed group of holiday is­
lands known collectively as The Ber­
mudas, or merely, Bermuda, are
situated six hundred miles east south­
east of Cape Hatteras, or 75 miles
due south of Yarmouth, Nova Scotiaj
they lie in 33
0
North Latitude and 65
0
West Longitude. This British Crown
Colony, having an area of about 20 sq­
uare miles, consists of a principal is­
land. known as Great Bermuda or
Main Island, a number of smaller is­
lands, and outlying rocks and reefs.
This mid-Atlantic atoll was first
visited by civilized man 450 years ago,
when a Spanish captain, Juan Bermudez,
was shipwrecked here on a voyage from
Spain to the Spanish Main. As trans-
Atlantic voyages became more common,
other castaways found refuge on its sh­
ores such as the English captain, May,
in 1593 and Sir George Somers, in 1609.
Somers took an interest in settlement
here and in 1612, established sixty im­
migrants from Virginia here. For many
years, the islands were known as the
Somers Islands after Sir George. In
1684. the Bermudas were transferred
to the British Crown.
Gifted with an ideal climate, Ber­
muda is famous most of all as a holiday
resort, and it is served by steamship
and air routes. Until the last war, it
was also noted as a haven for the pedes­
trian, since local laws established in
1908 prohibited mechanical vehicular
traffic on the roads, save for horse­
drawn carriages, wagons and bicycles.
The proposals for a railway were
first put forward in the late 1920s when
the Government of the Colony was faced
with the necessity to provide some form
of mass transportation for the resident
population of about 32,000, not including
increasing numbers of tourists. They
were unwilling to lift the 1908 ban on
motor traffic and a railway was. as a
consequence, the only alternative. The
Parliament of Bermuda accordingly
passed· a Railway Act under which Ber­
muda Traction. Limited. was organized
early in 1928. The initial plans called
for completion of the railway in that year
but matters were retarded by difficulty
in purchasing land for the right-of-way
at prices within the estimates.
Two years later. the projectwas re­
vived again as Bermuda Railways Inv-
· :, :
, I
Canadian Rai 1
BERMUDA RAILWA Y (contd)
estment, Limited, under which govern­
ment assistance was given. Later re­
organized as Bermuda Railway Company
Limited, construction of the initial sec­
tion, eleven miles long, got under way
in the summer of 1931. This railway,
linking Hamilton, the capital town, with
the naval base at Somerset, was opened
for traffic on October 31st, 1931. The
railway was built under contract by Bal­
four, Beatty &. Company, and was built
to standard gauge. 67~-pound rails were
employed, on timber ties.
The Somerset line started from
Front Street in Hamilton, at the Ceno­
taph. It curved around the end of Ham­
ilton harbour on a high trestle, then
headed southwestward through Paget
and Warwick Parishes, along the height
of land. At one point, a rock cutting
inspired the name Khyber Pass.
Gradually, following the northward cUr­
ve of the Island, the railway turned to
the west, then to the northwest, finally
following a course due north to the ter­
minus at Somerset.
Concurrently, a second section was
undertaken connecting Hamilton with
St. George to the northeastj this was
als 0 eleven miles in length and was op­
ened about March, 1932. It left Ham­
ilton running along Front Street in a
westerly direction, but at the west end
of the business district, it turned north­
ward through a tunnel under the gardens
of The Bermudiana Hotel, then revers­
ing direction to the eastward, gradually
turned northeastward to the terminal at
St. George, crossing the inlets to Har­
rington Sound and Castle Harbour on
low trestles.
The railway was well-patronized
from the outset and Drewry-built rail­
cars and trailers were used exclusively.
The service was hourly between St.
George and Somerset, between 6 :00 AM
and Midnight, and trains were operated
by means of a staff or token system.
Page 95
The Bermuda Railway even had a
throwback to the Par liamentary Tr ains
of Nineteenth Century E.ngland. The
Company was required to operate a
certain number of trains each day at a
statutory fare of 2d per mile first class,
and 1-3/4d per mile second class. The
remaining trains were operated with a
4d per mile first class fare, and a 3d
per mile second class tariff. Freight
was also carried, for which box cars and
gondola cars were provided, but the
passenger business apparently formed
the bulk of the traffic.
During the years of the second Wor­
ld War, the railway was called upon to
such a degree that two diesel-electric
locomotives were purchased from the
Cummins Diesel Company in the United
States, but the artificial conditions in­
duced by the war had to end sometime,
and they brought with them the downfall
of this unique mid -ocean interurban.
In 1943, the Parliament of Bermuda
passed a Motorcar Act which permitted
the restricted use of motor vehicles.
With the termination of hostilities in
1945, this Act expired on December 31
of that year and all restrictions on high­
way vehicles were finally withdrawn.
The effect on the Railway was swift and
immediate, as it did not serve the en­
tire Island. In 1944, the BR car ried
1,531,676 passengers and this increased
to 1,601,844 in 1945. In 1946, however,
this figure decreased by more than a
third to 1,062,388. The private Bermuda
Railway Company, Limited, anticipating
the traffic reduction, sold the railway to
the Government of the Colony on January
27, 1946. The Railway reportedly had
never made a profit since its inception
in 1931, and the transfer to government
control turned out to be but a temporary
postponement of the inevitable.
LEFT: Photograph of a 10 class com­
posite first-and second-class pass­
enger car, built by The Drewry Car
Company, Limited (Drewry photo.)

Canadian·Rail
BERMUDA RAIL!V~.r (continued)
In 1947, passengers further decr­
eased to 661,933 –only slightly more
than one-third the level prevailing in
the war year 1945, and the GOvernment
decided to abandon and dismantle the
line. The Hamilton-Somerset section
was aband oned on J anua ry 1, 1948, and
one day later, workmen were busy dis­
mantling the railway. Upon completion
of this task, the St. George section was
abandoned on May 1 s t, 1948 and that
section also taken up.
A ready market for the used rails,
motive power and rolling stock, was
found in South America, when the Brit­
ish Guiana GOvernment purchased it all,
lock, stock and barrel, for BWI$414,000.
to be used as replacement for its own
Page 97
worn-out equipment. Some of the old
Bermuda rolling stock is still in use on
the British Guiana Government stan­
dard-gauge line linking Georgetown with
New Pmsterdam along the coast.
Thus ended the history of an inter­
esting mid-ocean railway, whose story
properly belongs with that of other off­
shore North American railways.
A CKNOW LEDGMENTS
I am indebted particularly, for in­
formation about the railway and its
operations to Mr. James Younger of the
Public Transportation Board, Hamilton,
Bermuda, and for details of the loco­
motives and cars to the management of
The Drewry Car Company Limited, of
City Wall House, Finsbury Pavement.
London, E.C.2.
10 to 15. M 6 Drewry, 1931 120HP gasoline-driven, Compos­
ite 1st and 2nd class pass. cars.
1st class passenger cars.
20t025. T
30,31. M
40, 41 T
50 to 53. T
60, 61 M
(re# 100, 10 I)
60 to 65
100, 101
200, 201
T
M
M
6
2
2
4
2
6
(see 60, 61 above)

1932

120HP gasoline-driven, combin-
ation locomotive and goods vans.
Enclosed goods vans.
Gondola cars.
300HP gasoline-driven, combin­
ation locomotive and goods vans,
renumbered 100, 101 after arr­
ival in Bermuda
2nd class passenger cars.
2 Cummins, 1942-43. 300HP diesel-electric loco-
motives.
All of foregoing equipment sold to British Guiana Government Railways in 1948,
as is, except for car 13 damaged in fire and converted to flat car.
M-Indicates powered unit. T-Indicates unpowered car.

I
I
Canadian Rai 1 Page 99
MECHANICAL DESCRIPTION 01< ROLLING STOCK
Information from The DreHry Car Company.
Original Rolling Stock. built in 1931.
All of the pOHered cars in the original rolling stock or­
der placed with The Drewry Car Company Limited in 1931,
were provided with 6-cylinder gasolene engines, 4~ bore
by 6 stroke; continuous rating was 120 h.p. at 1,650 rpm. The
motors had automatic advance magneto thus eliminating
hand control, and starting was effected by electric self­
starters.
The transmissions consisted of five-speed Wilson-Drewry
Epicyclic Self-Changing Gear Boxes~ with reverse, giving
five speeds in both directions. The control was double­
ended, pneumatically operated. The cars were equipped
with iestinghouse air brakes, and hand brakes. Lighting
was provided by electric dynamo driven direct from the
engine.
10 series cars were 42 feet long over headstocks, and the
trucks were placed on 25-foot centres. The power truck
wheel base was 66, while the trailing truck wheel base
was 56. Weight in running order was twenty tons.
20 series cars were 42-foot long trailers, with trucks on
25-foot centres. Truck wheel bases were 56 I and weight
in running order was fourteen tons.
30 series cars were 35 feet long over headstocks, and the
trucks were placed on 19-foot centres. Power and trail­
er trucks and wheel bases were the same as on the 10 and
20 series cars. 30 series Cars weighed 20 tons and the
40 series trailer cars weighed fourteen tons.
Rolling Stock built in 1932.
The two 60 series locomotives, which were renumbered to
100 and 101 upon their arrival in Bermuda, or shortly
thereafter, were built late in 1932. They were equipped
with two power trucks, each having a 7 wheel base, the
trucks being on 196 centres. The engines supplied had
8 cylinders, 4~ x 6
11
in size, and each developed 150 h.p.
at 1,650 rpm, giving the locomotive a total output of 300
h.p. The weight of these locomotives was 29 tons, but as
they were capable of accomodating five tons of baggage
between the motormans compartments, weight available for
adhesion varied between 29 and 34 tons. These units were
406 long over headstocks, and a diagram of No. 60 is
included with this account.
Vie have no information concerning the remaining equipnent.
:-J
Atlantic:
:~ ~~
Ocean
r
2-20
U.AT.

~
q,
0
64140
W.lON6.
0

.

BERMUDA
RAILWAY
~

Scale Miles
of
,
~
o
2 3 4
—-
_lack
~
Franks
~ay
B-ay _ _.:-::-.:.-

~-
64·
1
50
..1.!:.!!
61
1<45
Canadian Rail Page 101
DESCRIPTION OF ROUTE
The following notes, describing the Bermuda Rail,ay, are extracted
from the booklet !!Bermuda –Seeing the Sights by Railway!!, pub­
lished by the Bermuda Railway Company Limited in 1939.
Bermuda T s railway is the kind you yourself would
build if you were the ruler of some island paradise.
For twenty-two miles it winds from one end of the Ber­
muda Islands to the other, presenting intimate views
and surprising panoramas that make you wish you could
look two ways at once. The cars are air-conditioned by
Atlantic zephyrs and are drawn by a quiet, efficient
little engine which is too well-bred to emit smoky
soot even when working. Best of all, this train is
never in a hurry. Leisure is the keynote of its two­
hour run, and promptness characterizes its hourly ser-
vice •••••••
!! Hamilton is the central terminus of the Rail­
way. Trains leave hourly from the Cenotaph for the
journey to either end of Bermuda St. Georges and
Somerset •••••••
The hourly departure of trains is always some­what
of a gala occasion, and the railway trip a lark
which is different from anything you have ever exper­
ienced. The Bermudians who use the Railway to commute
to and from their homes are a friendly, laughing crowd
and the pith-helmets of the men add a picturesque for­
eign touch to the scene •••••••
(Hamilton -St. Georges Division)
After a warning toott
ll
the train proceeds
slowly down Front Street, while bicycles scoot in and
out and across the tracks, and leisurely carriages move
to one side. • •••• -lith a friendly wave from the white­
helmeted traffic policeman on Queen Street, the train
pulls away from busy Front Street and turns to the
right through a tunnel under the gardens of The Bermud­
iana Hotel, On the other side of the tunnel is
BERMUDIANA HOTEL STATION, at Richmond Road •••••
this stop the key token signal system used by the
way can be seen at the right side of the track.
motorman must manipulate the proper keys before he
proceed.
At
Rail­
The can
SERPENTINE ROAD is the next halt…… The train fum
winds in and out of tropical gardens and past lovely
white coral roads to the TENNIS STADIUM.
A short distance farther on is the private halt
used by His Excellency the Governor, representative of
the King.
Page 102 Canadian Rail
DESCRIPTION OF ROUTE (continued)
POND HILL is reached after a fairly steep climb ••••
Notice the deep cuttings in coral cliffs through which
the train passes. Many of these had to be drilled by
hand for fear of damaging nearby water-catches, with
their precious contents of rain-water.
PROSPECT STATION is but a short distance from the mil­
itary Barracks….. After leaving Pro~p~ct, thetrain
skirts the ocean off the North Shore, glvlng an unres­
tricted view of the sea in its ever-changing beauty.
At STORE HILL, the aerial masts of the wireless
telephone station reach starkly into the sky ••••••
ST. GEORGES terminates this part of the jour­
ney. Around this ancient town centres the history of
Berr:lUJa I s early days…… St. Georges was the capital
until this honor was conferred on Hamilton in 1615.
Durin~ the American Civil War, St. Georges Harbour was a
haven for blockade runners laden with food and ammun­
ition for England.
(Hamilton 00merset Division)
This section offers a decided contrast to the
seascapes of the North Shore. The train passes through
rich agricultural fields and inviting woodland scenery;
lush, tropical foliage creeps right down to the track
and in some places the spice trees thrust their pungent
leaves into the car window.

HOSPITAL station is the first stop after the
train crosses a high trestle over Hamilton Harbour, and
enters Paget Parish ••••••
KHYBER PASS is fittine;ly named after the famous
Pass in India. A few yards from the track the narrow
road is hewn through a high cliff, making a ravine of
great beauty ••.•••••
Finally, SOMERSET terminus, a quiet and rural
town with lovely walks and charming houses. Ireland
Island, the base of the British Navy in the North Atl­
antiC, is within walking distance and a visit will be
interesting ~ld instructive •••••
THIS ISSUE OF CANADIAN RAIL BIGGEST EVER!
With this issue, CANADIAN RAIL makes a little bit of history. You
may have noticed alread.v that your magazine is growing. ThiS, of
course, is due to your continued support. The more subscribers we
have, the better a magazine can be published. If you have any
friends you feel should be getting a copy, let us know. Well send
them a sample. (Incidentally, the size of this issue?-28 pages!)
-IIIQUIT-
In the year 1887, Edward Bellamy wrote his amazingly
prophetic novel Looking Backward
rt
• Acclaimed as one
of the most influential books of the 19th. Century,
Looking Backward was written in the sincere belief
that the Golden Age lies before us •••••• and is not
far away (Edward Bellamy)
At the recent banquet meeting of the C.R.H.A.,
Mr. Pierre Delagrave followed Mr. Bellamys theme and
style, and treated Association members and guests to a
glimpse of what rail passenger travel may be like in
the year 1999.
A complete report of the event, written by Mr.
Fred Angus, follows:
The annual banquet of the Canadian Rai~d Historical Associa­
tion for the year 1963, was held in the Salon Dore of the Queens
Hotel on Wednesday, April 17th. Over 100 members and guests en­
joyed an excellent roast beef dinner in the grand style for which
the Queens is famous, continuing the high tradition set by the As­
sociations banquets in the past.
PaRe 104
Canadian Rai 1
The host and master of ceremonies was our President, Dr. R. V. V.
Nicholls. Others present at the head table were: the Pres­
idents wife, Mrs. Nicholls; the guest of honour, M. Pierre Dela­
grave, General Passenger Sales Manager, Canadian Na tional Railways,
accompanied by his eracious wife, Mme. Delagrave; the Associations
Honourary President, Mr. Donald Angus, and Mrs. Angus; M. Charles
Viau, Executive Vice President of the CRHA; and Miss Anna ODowd,
Assistant Curator of the Chateau de Ramezay.
During the evening, three toasts were proposed. First, Dr.
Nicholls proposed a toast to Her Majesty, the Q,ueen. Later, Ivlr.
Leonard A. Seton, Q.C. toasted The present and future rejuvination
of rail passenger servic e and at the same time expla ined in detail
his reasons and hopes that this service would continue and be im­
proved. The final toast, proposed by Mr. Earle Moore, was to the
Association.
Following a brief intermission, those present were treated to
a most interesting speech by Mr. Delagrave, entitled: Facing Up to
Competition. In this talk, 1tr. Delagrave pOinted out that, while
other means of passenger transportation such as automobiles and ror­
craft undergo changes almost yearly, the railways have made few ra­
dical changes in passenger accommodation over the years and conse­
quently had lost considerable business. Now, however, it was be­
coming more generally recognized that the solution to the worlds
transportation problems does not lie solely with the automobile and
the supersonic aircraft. Highways and roads are becoming more and
more congested and some cities are even giving consideration to the
banning of autos during rush hours. Mr.Delagrave continued, that
faith in rail passenger transport is being restored by the market­
eers of today, who are laying the groundwork for future improvements.
Then
in the style of Edward Bellamy, and Looking Backward ~ he
carried us in imagination to the year 1999 and reviewed the changes
that had taken place in the past 43 years (i.e. since 1956). By
1999, entirely new concepts of rail travel would be held. Trains
would travel 150 miles per hour or so, and recreational and enter­
tainment facilities would be available en route. Then, allowing
fantasy to gain an upper hand, the imaginary officer of 1999 report­
ed that swimming pools were giving way to bowlin,~ alleys be cs use
the public had forsaken the swimming pools and were clamoring l 0 r more
bowling alleys. These changes started in 1962, wi th suc h
innovations as Red White and Blue fares, followed by the carrying of
private automobiles on trains while the owner rode in the new pass­
enger accommodations. Such service had begun in a limited wa y
about 1964.
Returning to the realities of the present, Mr. Delagrave re­
iterated his firm conviction that the Golden Age lies before us. If
the public will realize that improvements in railways are just as
feasible as in automobile and air travel, the future of the inter­
city, high speed passenger train will be bright.
The speaker was thanked by M. Viau, following which Dr.NicholJs
told of the developments at the museum since the last meeting. The
guests then viewed photos of some of the recently-acquired exhibits
and later departed after a very enjoyable evening.
(F.Angus)
Canad ian Rai 1 Page 105
THE LAST SELKIRK, NO. 5935. TRAVELS TO MONTREAL.
Just as a matter of information, it takes four weeks to move a
Canadian Pacific class T-l-c 2-10-4 Selkirk type steam locomotive
from Calgary to Montreal. Not, we hasten to add, that anyone will
ever have need for such information, for the unit on which we base
our statement has already made its move, leaving ORden Shops in the
Alberta city on Tuesday, March 12th, and arriving at Angus Shops in
jiontreal, on Tuesday, April 9th.
This locomotive is, of course, CPR No. 5935, the last of the
famed locomotive class developed specially for freight and passen­
ger service in the Rocky Hountains, reno1flned as the largest and
heaviest steam locomotives ever operated in the Commonwealth. Onlr
one other such locomotive has been preserved, No. 5934 (alias 5932)
which is on permanent display at t,jewata Park in Calgary. No. 5935
diu not make its trip alone, but ,vas accompanied on the 2,200-mile
trek by 2-8-2 type No. 5468, only one year older than No. 5935,
which was built by Montreal Locomotive forks in Narch, 1949, and
was also the last standard-gauge steam locomotive built for any
Canadian railway.
Now, at the tender age of fourteen, No. 5935 is only a museum
piece, a telling cor.18entary on the rapid advance of railway tech­
nology in little i:l0re than a decade. Dead, it weighs some 557,300
pounds, no mean weight itself; in operating condition, however, the
T-l-cs weighed some 365 tons complete with 12,000 Imperial rallons
of ,~ater, and 4,100 [allons of fuel oil. The intervening fourteen
years have also seen the original black-and-maroon passenger enr,ine
livery replaced by the plain lined-black scheme common to freight
locomotives.
The passaEe of the two locomotives across Canada generated
much press cou~ent and public interest. So great and spontaneous
was this acclaim that, contrasted with a completely-unannounced
departure from Calgary on March 12th, the arrival in Montreal has
been made in the midst of planning of a public display of these,
and other locomot,ives, at i·iontreals iiindsor Station in the latter
part of April. The engines had only reached Medicine Hat when the
newspapers started carrying news of their progress. Pictures were
taken and people visited in the prairie cities and to~ns, and in
viinnipeg, the two locomotives were spotted in leston Yard close to
the Arlington bridge for no less than three days so that the public
could come U01fln and admire the CPRs last two steam locomotives
west of 14innipeg. It was the :linnipeg reception that convinced
CPR headquarters at Montreal that an exhibition should be arranged
before the locomotives are sent to the CRHA Museum at Delson. The
display was planned to coincide with the release of two new diesel­
electric locomotives from General Motors at Lonuon, and one new
unit from Hontreal Locomotive .Iorks.
Canadian Pacific went to a considerable amount of trouble to
see the locomotives safely to their destination. Divisional offic­
ers rode on the engines over every mile between Calgary and r·lont­
real, and a general speeu restriction of thirty miles per hour, on
wayfreights, was narrowed to twenty miles an hour over certain
bridges east of the Lakehead. Their arrival at j;iontreal was made
without incident.
The five-day exhibition .111 have occurred by the time
this appears in print, but a complete account will be given
that
in a
later issue of Canadian i{ail. (OSAL)
See Photo Next Page

Canadian Rai 1
Page 107
Portage Railway Sold.
The famed Portage Railway of the Huntsville, Lake of Bays &
Lake Simcoe Railway and Navigation Company has been sold, and is in
the process of being transported, piecemeal, from South Portage,
near Huntsville, Ontario, to a park in St. Thomas, Ontario.
According to a report appearing recently in the London (Ont.)
Free Press, the 1.2 -mile, 42 inch gauge carrier, including two
locomotives, two passen~er cars, and three freight cars, has been
purchased by Mr. Percy Broadbear, of London, and his son, Donald.
Mr. Broadbear is a locomotive engineer who faces retirement from
Canadian Pacific Railway in about two years. Purchasing the rail­
way has given him an interesting and appropriate retirement project
which will enable him to go on railroading for, we hope, many years
to come. According to the pres3 reports, the purchase was oonsum­
mated late in January, and by the time this appears in print, most,
if not all, of the equipment, will have been moved to St. Thomas,
Ontario, where the Broadbears hope to operate it on a mile circuit
in Pinafore Park. Terms of the sale were not disclosed, but it
is understood that the owners of the railway were asking $ 2.5,000
for it a year or so ago.
News of this sale will end speculation as to the ultimate dis­
position of the Portage Railway, which closed service at the end of
the navigation season of 19.58. Since that time, the equipment,
( Which includes two 0-4-0T steam locomotives built by Montreal Lo­
comotive Works), has been in storage at South Portage. The railway
was built originally about 1902 to transport tanbark over a portage
between Peninsula.Lake and Lake of Bays. The tanbark was destined
for a tannery in Huntsville and was otherwise handled by steamer on
the lakes. Later, the railway was used for passenger excursions
only, operating in connection with steamer (later motorlaunch)tours
on Fairy Lake, Peninsula Lake and Lake of Bays. The line was orig­
inally built to the strange gauge of 3st –just one foot narrow­
er than standard –but about fifteen years ago, when the original
locomotives wore out and were sold to a museum in the United States
two new locomotives were purch3sed second-hand from the Canadian
Gypsum Company at Windsor, N.S. The new acquisitions were of the
more familiar 36 gauge, and, it being more economical to change
the gauge of the railway than that of the locomotives, the Portage
Railway narrowed its width by two-and-a-half inches.
The Portaee Railways two passenger cars began life as street
railway cars. They were of the open-bench summer type;the largest
one, from an electric line which operated formerly at Seagirt,
N.J., U.S.A., was built by the Delaware Car Horks at Wilmington,Del. The
smaller car was originally a single-truck electric car built
by the Toronto Railway Company for its own use. Both vehicles
were removed from their electric railway trucks many years ago,
and are now installed on double 42-inch gauge trucks. Remaining
rolling stock includes a baggage car and two flat cars. (OSAL)
ABOVE photo shows CPR 5935 at Grovehill. March
new -just out of Montreal Locomotive Works –
to being sent to Western Canada. This was the
tive built for a mainline Canadian railway.
1949. It was brand
being tested prior
last steam locomo-
BELOW is Portage Railway No.5 at South Portage in the summer
of 1958. No.5 is one of the two engines bought from Canadian
Gypeum Co. at Windsor. Nova Scotia.
by Stephen Cheasley
The Membership Committee announces with pleasure that the
following people were recently accepted as Associate Members of the
Association:
John B. Hungerford
Howard L. Robins
Harry Martin
Gregory Be 11
Lome Lawson
John Murray
Miss Maureen Oden
William Van Noort Jr.
Glenn Conrad
James P. Northcutt
James A. Mills
Rodney H. Peterson
William Linley
Donald Beck
Ronald Spence
Kenneth Slauenwhite
Mrs. Millie Sandusky
John R. Lee
Carl Gay
Les Keiller
William F. Kooksley
Barry Biglow
Noel Johnstone
Roy Mills
James Walder
Donald Anderson
James Dickson
Gordon Wilkinson
Charles Thorpe
Eugene Wermenlinger
David Goodfellow
Richard Harris
Wayne Steele
David Pinto
In addition, Mr. Peter Bassek and Mr. John Meikle were accept­
ed as members of the Edmonton Chapter.
Three more C.R.H.A. representatives have been installed ac­
cross Canada. Mr. William McKeown will serve as our Toronto Repre­
sentative. Mr. McKeown bas been a member of C.R.H.A. since 1951,
and has been active on many committees. He was Chairman of the
Trip Committee until he left Montreal for Toronto. Mr. Kenneth
Chivers is our new Ottawa Valley representative. Mr. Chivers is
a long-time member and a past President of C. R. H. A. and has ~
active on many of our oommittees. Mr. William Cooksley has agreed
to be our Algoma District Representative. Mr. Cooksley is a long­
time friend of C.R.H.A. and a leading railway enthusiast in western
Ontar10.
Continued on Page III
It gives the Publications
Committee particular pleasure
to announce that the Honorary
President of the Canadian Rail­
road Historical Association,
Mr. Donald J!orbes Angus, has
been made a Fellow of the Royal
Society of Arts of London. The
distinction has been conferred
on Mr. Angus as a result of his
energetic efforts in the field
of the arts. Mr. Angus is a
Knight of Grace of the Order of
Saint John of Jerusalem, and
President of the Antiquarian &
Numismatic Society of Lior-treel,
as well as being a Charter Mem­
ber (1932) of our Association.
Our sincere felicitations.
Canadian Rai 1
Proposals for at least three
extensions to the initial Metro
system, the calling of tenders
for 279 subway cars and the re­
lease of illustrations of some
of the underground stations
highlight recent developments in
Montreals rapid transit plan.
ROLLING STOOK
On March 16th, the City ex­
ecutive committee decided to
call for bids for ninety-three
three-car trains (279 cars) for
the rapid transit system that is
presently under construction.
Each three-car set will be a
motor-trai1er-motor combination,
the motor cars being 565 in
length and the trailers 55 lot
long. One of the tentative de­
signs for the cars is depicted
in the accompanying illustration
and a model of this car, painted
in a two-tone blue paint scheme,
was exhibited to newsmen when
the announcement was made. The
bids are returnable at noon on
June 20th, 1963, and conditions
include a provision that the
first car must be ready by March
15th, 1964. The successful bid­
der must also agree to build a
further twenty-one trainsets (63
cars), and later another eight­
een sets (54 cars) should traf­
fic warrant by the beginning of
1967.
Page 109
Each train will consist of
a maximum of three sets or nine
cars. Such trains will thus be
more than five hundred feet in
length. Train doors will only
provide access between the three
cars in each individual set, the
outer ends of each set being eq­
uipped with control cabs and
full-width picture windows, as
suggested in the illustration.
The cars are to be of street
railway width, 83, and each of
the four doors in each side of
every car is to be 51 Wide. As
indicated previously, the cars
are to be carried on eight pneu­
matic-tyred wheels running in
concrete channels. The tunnels
will also be equipped with con­
ventional railway rails and the
cars with flanged steel wheels,
which must be used at switches
or over specialwork, and can be
used in shops and yards and in
the event of a tyre pundure oc­
curring during normal operation.
In addition to the four tyred
running wheels on each truck,
there will be four smaller tyred
wheels in a horizontal plane,
bearing outward against the con­
crete channel, to keep the train
in proper alignment. Thus each
car will have eight flanged
wheels and sixteen rubber-tyred
wheels, similar to equipment now
in use in Parie.
Page 110
Five shop switchers are al­
so included in the initial ten­
der for rolling stock, and bids
have been invited from car buil­
ders allover the world, for
construction of this equipment.
Trains Will be equipped for one­
man operation, and doors will
apparently be individually con­
trolled by passengers. At rush
hours, additional personnel will
be used on the trains.
STATIONS
Illustrations released by
the Public Works Department of
the City of Montreal show that
station interiors will depart
from the usual so-called lava­
tory style glazed tile treat­
ment common in North America.
Distinctive decor will be given
to the stations, as exemplified
by the illustrations, reproduced
herewith, of the proposed exter­
ior of Jarry station, and the
interior of Place des Arts stat­
ion, the lat~er having platform
walls at irregular angles, and a
mezzanine containing shops and a
restaurant, and escalators giv­
ing access to the street and to
the concert halls.
Canadian Rail
EXTENSIONS
Late in March, announcement
by the City of Montreal of its
choice of a mid-St. Lawrence
River site for the 1967 World
Exposition was accompanied by a
disclosure that an extension of
the subway would be built from a
connection with Line No. 2
near Viger Square, under the
River, to St. Lambert and Long­
ueuil. A mid-River station would
serve the Exposition island, an
artificial creation which may be
called Ile Notre-Dame .
It 1s rumoured that a dec­
ision has already been made to
extend Line No. 2 northward for
another 8,300 feet beyond Metro­
politan Boulevard, to Boulevard
Henri-B.ourassa, but no announce­
ment has as yet been made to
this effect. Some of the French
newspapers have also carried re­
ports that Line No.3 (the nor­
mal railway subway planned for
the present Canadian National
Mount Royal Tunnel line) will be
extended under the Riviere-des­
Prairies from Cartierville stat­
ion to Chomedy, on lIe-Jesus.
Apart from the original announ­
cement made a year ago that the
CN Mount Royal Line would be in­
corporated into the system, no
further action has been revealed
but it is understood that talks
are currently in progress bet­
ween Montreal and the CN system
on this matter, and such obstac­
les as remain apparently revolve
around CNs desire to have lim­
ited use of the tunnel line, at
certain times.
Continued from Page 108
SHOPS
—–Work is to start shortly on
construction of storage and re­
pair facilities for the subway
cars on the Montreal Transport­
ation Commissions property at
Metropolitan Boulevard and St.
Lawrence Boulevard. Work is to
start on demolition of the old
Youville Shop buildings shortly
after June 1st of this year, to
make way for a modern repair
facility on the same site.
The Museum Committee asks all our readers not to forget the
financial campaign. All contributions are tax deductible. When
you come to witness first hand the progress at the museum, why not
bring along your contribution? A gift of ten dollars will mean
that another foot of track can be laid, perhaps before your very
eyes. Work at the museum is going on right now. Work crews start
each SATURDAY at 9:00 am and work until 5:00 pm. There are trains
from Windsor Street Station to St. Constant, or, you can obtain a
car ride by telephoning Paul McGee at 486-1498. The Vice-Presi­
dent, Mr. O.S. Lavallee, has said that all trackage inboth train­
shed No.1 and No.2 must be completed by July, 1963. Enjoy the
satisfaction of participating in the construction of YOUR museum.
How many of you know a folksong dealing with a railway sub­
ject? The Association has quite a large archive and library and it
has been suggested that we expand this to include railway ballads.
If you know any such songs, please jot ~ down on sheet music or,
failing this, write out the words and send them to us.
You are reminded that new members and
if the Association is to continue to grow.
personal contact.
subscribers are needed
Only you can make the
Anniversary congratulations are in order for Mr. Leonard A.
Seton, Q.C., Secretary and Legal Counsel for the C.R.H.A., who has
been a member for thirty years. Mr. Charles Viau, Executive Vice­
President of the C.R.H.A. has just completed his twenty-fifth year
as a member.
Page 112 Canadian Rail
TERRIER LOCOMOTIVE TO BE RESTORED IN ENGLAND
At the end of December, 1962, British Railways 0-6-0T loco­
motive No. DS680 was released to the Association for removal to
Canada at first opportunity. It will be recalled that this engine,
originally No. 75 Waddon of the London Brighton & South Coast
Railway, and built at Brighton Works in 1875, was officially pre­
sented to our Association at a pre-retirement ceremony held at
Brighton last June.
Late in 1962, correspondence was initiated between Mr. Donald
Angus of our Association and British Railways, ~ith a view to have
the elaborate and complicated Stroudley yellow paint livery restor­
ed to this engine. Mr. Angus had visited the British Transport
Commissions Olapham Museum during his visit to En.gland last June,
and was much impressed by the restoration done to Boxhill, sister
engine of Waddon which is to come to Canada. Accordingly, Brit­
ish Railways were approached as to the practicability of a restor­
ation being performed on our engine, and in January, the price of
b500 sterling was quoted, this to include restoration of replicas
of original number and bUilders plates, copper condensing pipes
and removal of vacuum automatic air brake system. The former Br­
ighton Railway employed the Westinghouse automatio system. In
March, the Association accepted the quoted price, which is to be
met through private contributions. More than half of the necessary
#1,500 has already been met by Mr. H. Greville Smith and Senator
Adrian K. Hugessen, and Dr. Nicholls and Mr. Angus are continuing
their efforts to secure further donations to meet the full amount.
In anticipation of our acceptance, early in January British
Railways replaced DS 6808 Drummond-type smokestack with a copper
capped chimney from a similar engine, BE 32635, the new addition
apparently being compatible with the soon-to-be-restored yellow
livery. The Association has been advised that the restoration will
take approximately three months, and it is now anticipated that the
locomotive will cross the Atlantic to Montreal in July or August.
COoSoL.)
Information wanted:
,
Mr. J. F. Cooke of Toronto is desirous of
obtaining information relating to the asso-
ciation between Sir Herbert Holt and James
Ross during the construction of the CPR. Mr. Cooke would
be grateful for any details on this phase of Mr.Hol tis life
particularly material h-3vin8 human interest value. Info­
rmation shoulli be sent directly to );;r.Cooke at 25 Adelaide
Street, West, Toronto, Ontario.
Drwmnond Colliery No. 7260, at V,estville, N.S. The photo on
Page 70 of the April 1963 issue depicted the former C.N. loco­
motive switching in the yards of the Drummond Colliery at
~estville, Nova Scotia. Inadvertently, the credit line for
this fine photo was omitted -the picture Vias taken by Mr. Bob
Sandusky, early in 1962.
Canadian Rail Page
6066
Photos by Paul Maysenhoelder
Text by Ferro
Here again is CN locomotive 6066
pictured during her last days as
an active railroader. She was
one of the last steam locomotives
bought by CNR, who acquired her
during V:orld War II, when proved,
reliable workhorses were needed not tempermental experiments
wllich hid a myriad of burbling, cODplicated machinery behind mis­
leadingly sleek exteriors. 6066 and her kin hid nothing. Their
very hearts –those massive rods and wheels which transformed the
awesome power of steam into thou­
sands and thousands of ton miles­
were exposed for all to see. Yet,
perhaps it was this very lack of
sophistication which, in this age
of scientific marvels, made 6066
so gra nd, so alr::.os t human. How
rewarding it used to be to stroll
over to the depot after supper to
see 6066 or 6200 or 2850or 3001
pause briefly with the evening
Passenger in tow. And how com­
forting on a winter night w drift
to sleep in the warmth of a steam
heated roomette with 6066s whis­
tle up ahead telling the v.orld that
she was going through on time-­
storm or no storm.
Page 114 Canadi!1.n Ra i]
Notes and News
Edited by W. L. Pharoah
* The British Government has approved the main points of a contro­
versial new plan to breathe financial life into the nations ailing
railroad system by olosing down more than 2,250 stations now run­
ning at a loss. The plan, which has raised cries of anguish from a
good part of the railroad-loving nation, calls for the eliminat­
ion of 2,363 stations, 320 services covering about 5,000 miles
and a third of the countrys 850,000 freight cars. Manpower would
be reduced by 150,000 by 1970. The plan would also introduce
higher fares on many of the remaining lines and close 800 freight
depots.
* MeanWhile, the Mbntreal Gazette reports that British Railways
~1,500,OOO,000 modernization scheme, rolling along at a great
olip since it was launched in 1955, recently lurched to a tempor­
ary halt. Indications are that Chairman Dr. Richard Beeching is
going to rethink the whole program, now based largely on the re­
placement of steam engines with diesels. The reason is that dur-
1ng this winter, the most severe to hit Britain this century,
almost all the 7,500 diesel engines and multiple units in service
froze up at one time or another. The result was chaotic. A recent
report to Dr. Beeching said 50,000 railway cars were stopped for
varying periods. Of these, 20,000 were involved in delivering coal
to power stations and factories. The most embarrassing aspect of
the situation was the faot that old, scrap-bound steam engines had
to be servioed and put baok into operation. British Railways
explained that the unseasonably cold weather froze the diesel
fuel, causing it to wax up. Only a few British diesels include
the oil-fired heaters, to warm the fuel tanks, whioh are built into
most diesels elsewhere at an extra cost of about $1,500. Until
this winter, the oil heaters were not thought necessary in Britain.
Now British Railways will have to decide whether to install heaters
as a precaution against the possibility of another cold winter.
* Open-top freight cars with Chuck-wagon shaped roofs are appearing
on CN lines. Fifty-two-foot-long gondola oars with four-feet-
high sides and ends are being equipped with a type of canvas cover­
ing which allows for speedy unloading of goods along with complete
prote~tion from weather and dust. Tarnishing and discolouring of
metal products handled in open-top freight equipment will now be
eliminated. The tarpaulins oan be oompletely removed from the
top of the car in five minutes by releasing a series of fasteners
along both ends and one of two sides. The new system eliminates
the need for storage spaoe for the heavy removable metal roofs used
on some gondola cars.
* Mayor Arthur Brookman of Rainy River, Onto says that CNs decision
to close down its terminal in that town for economic reasons has
placed the towns future in jeopardy. About one-third of the
towns 1,200 population will be affected. The Railways plans
to run train and engine crews through Rainy River, now their home
terminal, has been made feasible by dieselization and other modern
railway teohnics and the eN must make full use of these innovations
if it is to serve the interests of Canada to the best of ita abill~.
Canadian Rail Page 115
* The Swedish State Railways are introduoing 30 new railway oarri~es
with modern ohildrens oompartments. This will make travelling by
long-distanoe trains for mothers with ohildren more pleasant and
oomfortable. The oarrlages are inoluded in the 305 day-oarriages
whioh the state railways are now taking into use on long-distanoe
routes. The special ohildrens compartments are placed two and two on eaoh
side of a nursery with a toilet. The oompartments accommodate
four mothers.
* The Arden Trolley Museum commenced eleotric tram operation early
in December of last year. The museum is located three miles north
of Washington, Pa., U,S.A.. Track is 52t gauge and the museum
has ten items of rolling stock.
* Pictured below is the Princess of Nanaimo after a three-week voyage
from British Oolumbia to the east coast via the Panama Canal. The 6800
ton vessel has now been named the Princess of Acadia and is
slated to see duty on Canadian Pacifics Bay of Fundy service be­
tween Saint John, N.B., and Digby, N.S., replacing the 4000-ton
Princess Helene, which has been on the route since 1930. The
Princess of Acadia, built at the Fairfield Yards on the Clyde in
Sootland, entered the CP service in 1951. It has more room for
passengers than the Helene and can carry 120 automobiles against
the Helene 8 total o,f 49. When the renovated vessel comes out
of the Halifax Shipyards, it will sport a completely white hull
and Canadian Pacifics chequered red and white house flag on the
funnel, emulating CPs fleet of trans-Atlantic White Empresses.
The ship is equipped with all aids to navigation, including instru­
ments for automatic electric sounding, radar, and ship to shore
telephone • (
Canadian Pacifio Photo.)
~ :
… ~-+
The Commuters Dream
Motor trucks took all our freight business and the airlines all our long·distance passengers -youre all we
have left!
-Doug Wright, Montreal Star
CANADIA.N RAILROAD HISTORICAL ASSOCI! TION
e,la6/i,/ieJ 1932 • 130x 22 . Sla/ion 13 JV[on/rea/ 2 Qlle6ec • 8nwrpora/e3 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications Com.mittee, Canadian Railroad
Historical Association. Subscription: $ 2.50 annually.
CHAIRMAN, PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
EDITOR, CANADIAN RAIL:
ASSISTANT EDITOR:
DISTRIBUTION:
COMMITTEE:
Anthony Clegg.
William Pharoah.
John W. Saunders.
Jeffrey Forrest.
Robe rt Half yard.
Orner Lavallee.
Frederick F. Angus.
Peter Murphy.
ASSOCIATION REPRESENTATIV ES:
SUBSCRIDERS!
BEFORE YOU IIOVE-WRITEJ
AI lell,t 5 week, before 700
rno,e, .eod lUi n leller, III card.
or n post-oUlce chan.c.of.
.ddreSi form lelllol u. lJolh four
OLD oDd 7001 NEW ad4reuee.
OTTAWA VALLEY: Kenneth F. Chivers, Apartment 3,67 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Onto
PACIFIC COAST: Peter Cox, 2936 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver 8, B.C.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN: William T. Sharp, Apartment II, 11544 St. Albert Trail, Edmonton, Alta.
SOUTHERN ONTARIO: William D. McKeown, Apartment 201,859 Kennedy Rd., Scarborough, Onto
Copyright 1963 by CRHA
PRINTED IN CANADA
ON CANADIAN PAPER

Demande en ligne