Consulter nos archives / Consult our archives

La majorité des documents conservés par le Centre d'archives et de documentation de l'ACHF sont disponibles pour consultation.

Most of the documents kept by the ACHF Archives and Documentation Center are available for consultation.

Canadian Rail 139 1962

Lien vers le document

Canadian Rail 139 1962

Issued 11 times yearly by
Canadian Railroad Historical Association. DECEMBER 1962
Comox Logging and Railway No. 11, one of the last steam
locies used for hauling logs in the forests of British
Columbia, is now the centre piece in the arboretum and
logging museum established by Crown Zellerbach at Lady­
smith, B. C. Built by Baldwin in 1923 for the Simpson
Logging Co., Simpson, Wash., No. 11 was acquired by
Comox in 1937, and made the last regular steam-powered
run on December 16th, 1960. Since then, the engine has
been on standby service only.
Logging Equipment Museum
Canadian Rail
Page 203
Material for this article
provided by William Robertson.
Ladysmith, Vancouver Island, some thirty five miles southwest
of the City of Vanoouver, B.C. has recently appeared on what might
be called the cultural map of Canada. On October 22, 1962,Crown
Zellerbach Canada Limited dedicated an Arboretum and Logging Equip­ment
Museum at the toVO, which is on the Esquimault and Nanaimo Ry. and
the main Vancouver Island highway.
Centre piece of the museum is steam locomotive No.ll, which was
the last used on the Comox Logging and Railway Company 11ne
between Nanaimo Lakes and Ladysmith. Another locomotive, the
No. 12, a Shay, is also permanently plaoed in the museum along
with a log yarding machine. From time to time additional equip­
ment will be added to the outdoor display, which is dedicated to
the preservation of early day logging eqUipment.
trees which are planted in the arboretum have oome from many
parts of the world. Credit for establishing this part of
the road-side park goes to the late Mr. Fred. W. Mulholland, the
first chief forester of Comox Logging and Railway Company Limited.
In the Arboretum itself there are twenty-seven different spe­
cies of trees, including native stands such as Douglas fir and Han­
lock, as well as Cedar of Lebanon from Palestine, Norway Spruoe
from Scandinavia, Metasoquoia from China and English Holly from Grea t
The Comox Company, a subsidiary of Crown Zellerbach, was est­
ablished in 1910 and has operated for many years in the Courtenay­
Comox Valley area of Vancouver Island.
In the mid-1930s the company operated ten locomotives over
66 miles of track. In 1943, Comox Logging started logging in the
Nanaimo Lakes area west of Ladysmith. A 22 mile rail line was
constructed from Deadwood Valley to the booming ~rounds at Lady­
smith. It is still in use transporting logs.
In the early days, one giant tree sometimes made up a oarload.
More recently, however, it took more and more logs to fill a car.
Last Official run of a Comox Logging and Railway steam locie was December
16th, 1960, when No. 11 hauled her final load of logs from Nanaimo Lakes
to the Ladysmith log dump. Subsequent service has
been performed by diesel locomotives.
Locie No. 12 was built 1927 by Lima Ephraim Shay.
First owner was the
Lumber Co. Ltd. of Squamish, B.C.: by
Comox in 1942. In 1957 the 60
a crankshaft and was retired.
to the design of
Merrill and Ring
it was purchased
ton engine broke
Editors note: At the other side of the country, in Nova Scotia,
there is a similar sort of museum ooncerned with
coal mining and mining equipment. We should be
pleased to print information concerning this, if
a Maritime member or subscriber will write it up
for us.

•••• Peter Murphy
Twas during a summer day so clear,
Reposing at London it did appear:
The Kalamazoo, this sunny day,
When to its rescue came C.R.H.A.
With wide open heart and money to pay,
Our impulse so strong we did obey.
The Kalamazoo became our own,
And travelled here to find a new home.
at Delson on a morning so dull,
A C.P.R. box car sat in the lull;
The Kalamazoo within was so dear,
When on the scene a gang did appear.
Unload it ye swabs, the cry rang out;
We huffed and we puffed as men ran about,
And Forster Kemp with cameras and all,
Stood on the sidelines recording it all.
The Kalamazoo down a ramp did proceed,
Only to find a smooth ride indeed.
When off the slope and onto the rail,
Lavallee called out, Shell never sail.
After cranking and cranking, around and around,
In her gas tank the trouble was found;
Grease, dirt, and sludge there did prooeed,
To block up the tank and gas-line indeed.
During next week when all had been fixed,
And the dirt and gas had all been unmixed,
She muttered and sputtered, and then all at once,
The engine purred nicely, this wasnt a dunce!
Only then did we find with greatest chagrfn,
Because of a hole, no water stayed in;
vlhen Cheasley cried out, Anybody have gum? Then
jaws did grow tired, men seeking fun.
The hole was then plugged, and we did proceed,
To test out our champ on good track indeed.
The Kalamazoo! Onward she sped;
Ran like a charm, back from the dead.
A mile down the line, for home we did yearn;
And Beatty observed, Aye gas to return.
Our hearts did pound as we sped up the grade,
Thirty or more miles an hour we made.
The Kalamazoo!
To all our eyes
Again and again
With always the
So faithfUl! So dear!
again will appear;
its travel we yearn
hope, enough gas to return.
The Kalamazoo is a track gang car purchased
by the C.R.H.A. from the London & Port Stan­
ley R.R. for operation at our Delson museum.
It is a four-cylinder magneto-spark power
engine, with exposed friction clutch and
speed regulator. It was built around 1910
by the Kalamazoo Railroad Supply Company
in Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.A.

Canadian Rail Page 207
First Train to the Pacific Terminus
from The Inland Sentinal, Kamloops, Thursday July 8,1886.
Announcement had been made that the first regular passenger
train over the C.P.R. would leave Montreal on the 28th of June for
the Pacific terminus. The calculation was that the 2,907 miles
would take about 137 hours, and anxiety was felt along the line to
see and honour the new departure for travellers and business.
There were, we learn, about seventy passengers leaving Mont~al
for the Pacific, and quite a number for way stations along the
route. Arriving at Winnipeg,the morning of the 1st July additional
passengers and Her Majestys mails were added to the train and the
journey continued. Good time was made, and it was understood by
telegraph the arrival might be looked for Saturday night, 3rd inst,
as 11 oclock approach~d the gathering at the Station here increas­
ed. Notwithstanding the wind was rather high and somewhat danger­
ous for a bonfire, yet a safe place was found a little to the East
of the station, and a few loads of wood provided. Two anvils had
been procured from Mr. McKinnons shop (@@) and as soon as the trron
whistle was heard in the distance a beacon fire dispelled the dark­
ness of the neighborhood, and gave an excellent opportunity of
viewing the train. The five pounds of powder provided were also
oonsumed in honor of the great event of the evening.
The train consisted of the magnificent sleeping cars Honolulu
and Yokohama, a dining car, and some oommon cars, with a few for
freight, tender and looomotive, and all appearing to advantage. The
greater part of the passengers had retired for the night, but Miss
Sadlier, sister in law to Mr. J. O. Grahame of this place, and a few
others left the train here while Rev. Fathers Carion, of Okana­
gan Mission, and Lejeune, of Kamloops Mission, left for New West-
minster, eto. Also Miss Pallas, teaoher of the North Thomps on
School, to Viotoria to attend the School Examination.
The stay here was brief, but suffioient for our oitizens on hand
to have an inspeotion of the train, all speaking in terms of praise
of the trip, so far as daylight permitted them to see the scenery
along the line. It was a disapPointment to many while here that
darkness prevented their getting a good look at our surroundings.
Mr. Abbott, who had been here on business for a few days, had
his offioial oar attaohed to the train and near midnight the toot, toot,
announoed that the train was on the move for Port Moody,where
it arrived next day about noon.
engine was 373, Wm. Evans being engineer, and Geo.Cookney
fireman, and Mr. Barabiant conductor.
Returning, the train passed here going East Wednesday morning
about 2 A.M. conveying a number of passengers, and considerable
Continued on Page 211
PHOTO: An early view of Kamloops, taken about
1886, showing the Canadian Pacific main
line flanked by rows of houses. Note two
river steamers tied up at bottom left.
John £oye
With profound regret, your Directors record the
passing, on Wednesday, November Zlst, 196Z, of the
founder and first President of the Canadian Railroad
Historical Association, Mr. John Loye. His death occ­
urred at his home in Montreal at the age of 8Z.
It was in March, 193Z, that Mr. Loye took steps
to give substance to a project which he had planned for
some years previously, the foundation of an organi:ration
for railway historians and enthusiasts in Canada. The
resulting society was the second of its kind on-the contin­
ent, and for nearly twenty years, Mr. Loye was at or
near the helm of the Association, either as its President
or as a Director. His last public appearance was at the
Associations Thirtieth Anniversary Banquet in March
of this year, an occasion which caused him a consider­
able amount of satisfaction and gratification.
Born in September, 1880, Mr. Loye was the son
of Irish-born parents, and his interest in Canadian rail­
way history and his energetic address to the affairs of
our Association were matched by his equal devotion to
the cause of the culture of Ireland which so liberally in­
fuses the population of F.nglish-speaking Montreal. He
was founder of United Irish Societies, the group which
sponsors Montreals St. Patricks Day parade, and was
its President for 28 years consecutively. A designing
draftsman by profession, with particular proficiency in
the designing of ornamental metal work, he was also a
skilled artist in pen-and-ink, water colour and oils. The
crest of our Association is the product of Mr. Loyes
talent and pen, and in the future cours e of C. R. H. A.,
many things will remain to remind us of a man who was
outwardly serious and even austere, but who possessed
a dry wit, a superior intelligence, a concern for detail,
a studied diplomacy and a mannerism which was endear­
ingly Victorian. Mr. Loye was drawn to an interest in
history at an early age, and his knowledge of people and
of events in and out of the drama of Canadian railways
in the Nineteenth Century made him a living link with
that memorable era.
Now the skein is finally severed, and Mr. Loye
is gathered to the forefathers he SO revered. Our sincere
sympathy goes to his two sisters, Mrs. Arthur Laliberte
and Mrs. Alec McDonald, and to his brothers, Mr. Frank
Loye and Mr. William Loye, in their bereavelTIent.
Lifes railways oer, each stations passed,
In Death Im stopped, and rest at last …..
R. I. P.

Canadian Rail Page 211
CN to Coteau and Cantic
With this report, we welcome a new contributor to Canadian Rail,
David J. Scott. Mr. Scotts resume of the recent Coteau -Cantm
trip was received too late for inclusion in the last issue, but as
it contains information not previously recorded, we are printing
it this month.
Sunday, October 14th, a bright and sunny fall day, saw 573
persons board a special train at Montreals Central Station, Dorval
and Pointe Claire.
The scheduled departure from Central Station of 7:30 a.m.
E.S.T. was delayed approximately twenty minutes due to the late
arrival of the two steam locomotives Nos. 5107 and 6153. Consist
was 2 baggage cars –one with A.C. voltage for tape recorders, 5
air-conditioned coaches, 4 open-window coaches, and dining car
The first photo stop was a speed runpast on the hill two miles
west of Vaudreuil. It was necessary to back down grade in order to
get the train started after everybody had entrained. To Coteau the
train travelled at high speed as it was thirty minutes late and Woo
47 to Ottawa was following on the block.
The train cleared the junction switoh with the Alexandria Sub­
division, at Coteau, to allow No.4 –The Continental –eastbound
to Montreal and No. 47 to Ottawa to pass. Train orders were picked
up and the train proceeded over the east leg of the wye onto the
Valleyfield Subdivision where Time Freight No. 491 was waiting to
move westward on the Cornwall SubdiviSion. Arrival at Cantlo was
one hour late.
Departure from the yard was at 2:45 p.m., E.S.T. (15 minutes
late>. Departure would have been on time but train orders lIsted
departure as 2:45. After a speedy run our next stop was Ayrness
home.signal where train orders were picked uP.
~aln orders were again picked up at Coteau for a fast run to
Montreal following No.2 –The Super Continental. At Turcot East
the two steam engines were replaced by Diesel-electric switcher
8055 for the last leg o-f the journey into Central Station where ar­
rival was 7:15 p.m., E.S.T. (15 minutes late). On departure from
Turcot East the engine men on 5107 and 6153 tooted the whistles
with short blasts as they headed back to Montreal Yard to have
fires dumped for the last time.
Cont • d. from Page 207
Almost every day since trains have been running east and west
and a new life is infused all along the line, this place in parti­
cular benefitting largely, as our Hotel registers will prove.
(@@) The mention of anvils and powder refers to the old prac-
tice of firing a salute with these meterials. No doubt the
passengers who had retired for the night appreCiated this! The
method, which originated in the West about 1870 on account of lack
of suitable cannon, is still employed once each year on ~ueen Vic­
torias birthday by the Hyack Anvil Battery at New Westminster,BC.
1 _. – 1-· 1

1 -. 1

_ ,

I. I 66·

Canadian Rail Page 213
This months diagram, of Canadian National diesel-electric locomo­
tive No.2900, class CRG-24a shows the side elevation and front view
of the National Systems only 2400 horsepower Trainmaster unit.
The unit carried the number 3000 when built in 1955, but was renum­
bered 2900 in 1956. It has a haulage rating of 72~ and a maximum
speed of 65 m.p.h. At the present time, its regular assignment is
hauling the daily local between Montreal and St. Rosalie Jct., Que.
(Diagram -oourtesy C.N.R.)
Next month: ~~.Parkers drawing of Temiscouata 4-4-0 Nos.ll & 12.
Production problems on new subway cars lessened by quality control
Many production prob­
lems on new subway cars
for the Toroalo Transit
Commission have been
eliminated by quality con­
Irol, say TIC engineers.
Stringent quality control
carried out by a nation­
al inspection organization
during every phase of
manufacture and assem­
bly -right down to the
windshield wiper
blade –
as resulted in successful
test ru
ns of two cars.
Although the cars and
most components are Canadian made, some parts are being made in Europe. As a
result, quality control
is being carried out in three countries, three Canadian provinces
and dozens of plaats.
First ever built in Canada, the subway cars are the forerunners
of 36 ordered.
Source: The Warnock Hersey Co. Ltd.
The Edmonton Street Railway
The photograph of Edmonton Transit Systems #1 ~ln a recent
issue of Canadian Rail brought back memories of the West to one
of our members, ~IT. Jack Beatty. Supplementing the note concerning
Edmontons unusual route markers, Mr. Beatty remarks the indicator
was not particularly noted for its geometrio shape but for the col­
ours it bore. The principal routes in the days of street car oper­
ation were designated by one or two COlours, as follows:
All Blue
All Red
All White
Blue & Whi te
Red & White Red
& Green
The Blue, Red, and White lines all carried a rectangle of the
appropriate colour on the right front corner of the car. The other
lines had the rectangle divided diagonally to show the two colours
involved. Likewise, at night, the two lights over the windshield
irxlicated the same colours as the rectangular sign.
Although the City of Edmonton, then as now, had its share of
ron-English-speakill5 citizens, the day or night colour indications
were not provided primarily for them, but to enable all the waiting
passergers to detennine the route of an approaching car long before
the destination sig n itself could be clearly read.
2 (North-South), Berr; Street, between Jean-Talon and Jarry Streets. Entrance
of the tunnel near Jarry Street.
Page 214
FIRST CONTRACT -tunnel between Jarry and Jean-Talon Streets under Berr; Street.
Page 215
Notes and News
Edited by W. L. Pharoah
a CNs General Sales Manager-Passenger, Mr. Pierre Delagrave, said
recently that CN is confident it can revive interest in rail pas­
senger travel in Canada. Mr. Delegrave added that there is a good
future for railways in inter-city service and that the
passenger business is enjoying a revolution.
a In an effort to save in excess of $700,000 per year, CN bas applied
to discontinue Trains 9 and 10 running between Saskatoon and Win­
nipeg via Canora.
a The Board of Transport Commissioners has reserved decision on a
CN bid to cancel daily passenger service between Winnipeg and
F1in F10n, Man. The railway told the Board that the 100-mi1e
run by its self-propelled passenger car loses nearly $100,000 a
a Having reduced its passenger train service between Prince George
and Prince Rupert, B.C., CN has applied to handle package freight
and express in this area by truck. At the same time it is seeking
permission to operate a trucking service between Vancouver and
Kam100ps and among the Okanagan communities.
a CN is applying for complete discontinuation of all passenger ser­
vice between Calgary and Saskatoon on the ground that the promot­
ional program to attract passengers had failed in that area.
a The Board of Transport Commissioners bas authorized the discontin­
uance of CPRs 82-mile passenger run between Ottawa and Maniwaki,
effective January 15.
a Road tests have been started by the Union Pacific on a new Gas­
turbine-electric locomotive which utilizes pulverized coal. The
unit is a 5,000 horse-power direct-fired locomotive and, apart
from its use of fuel, is similar to gas-turbine locomotives which
the UP has used for over a decade.
a The first shipment of grain by railway has moved out of Manning,
Alta. So quickly did machines and men lay track on the first leg
of the Great Slave Lake Railway, that the first shipment was made
possible one day ahead of schedule.
a A CN branch line to serve the Brunswick Mining and Smelting Cor­
porations base metals concentrator near Bathurst, N.B., is to
be built at a cost of $1,450,000. The fifteen-mile line will be
built from Nepisiquit Junction.
* Construction of the branch line to Mattagami Lake Mines has pro­
gressed to mile 16 –sixteen miles from its junction with the
recently-constructed Barraute -Chibougamau main line. (ELM)
* A piggyback freight service linking Bathurst and Edmundston with
Central Canada has been announced by CN. The service involves
ON vehicles only, and ope~ates from Bathurst and Edmundston to
Hamilton, London, Toronto and Montreal.
A crewless train (engine and eighteen ore cars) is one of four
that will be used on a 5.7-mile single-track shuttle at the Carol
Lake iron-ore mine in Labrador. The trains will move 55,000
long tons of ore a
day at speeds up to 30 mph. They move in
response to tone-modulated signals,
sent through the rails in a
alternating current. Developed by General Railway
Signal Co., Rochester, for
Iron Ore of Canada, Ltd. Cost of
the electronic equipment, installed: $700,000.
Page 216
Enfrance of fhe firsf funnel of fhe Monfreal Subway on Berri Sfreef
near Jarry Sf. (Line No.2, Norfh-Soufh).
Ca na dian Ra i 1 Page 217
~ An Ontario Northland Railway extension from North Bay to Parry
Sound which would give the whole of Northern Ohtario access to
the Great Lakes ports on Lake Huron is being considered by the
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission. Allister Johnson,
member of the Ontario Legislature for Parry Sound and act1ng Com­
miss10n cha1rman, said he supports the proposal. There is a #7
million iron ore open pit development at Boston Creek near Kirk­
land Lake, but Mr. Johnson said the ONR still requires the neces­
sity of large shipments of iron ore and other commodities to a
seaport from Northern Ontario before it can proceed with the ex­
a A Brit1sh electron10 dev1ce wh1ch can read and record the numbers
of railway box cars moving at up to 100 m.p.h. and transmit them
to a central control, has been announced 1n London, England. The
method of read1ng –the first of its kind in the world –tells
the control point where the cars are, and gives informat1on on
their movement. The scanning part of the equipment is next to the
track, where a beam of chopped or modulated light is focussed on
to spec1al code plates –representing the car number –fixed at
ax]e level on both sides of the vehicle. Photo-electric cells
pick up scattered light from the code plates and a series of elec­
trical impulses –represent1ng the car number –are passed as
readings to a nearby store and transmission unit. When the car
numbers of a complete train have been recorded, this store passes
the 1nformat1on through the automatic transmiss10n unit to a cen­
tral control. The 1nformat1on transm1tted includes the location of
the number-taking equ1pment. Better than 99 percent accuracy has
been achieved with the equ1pment unattended for several months.
The result of a recent hearing of the Board of Transport Commissioners
for Canada, on an application by Canadian Pacific Railway Company to
abandon 15.1 miles of track between St. Lin Jct., and St. Lin, Que.,
is that the railway will be permitted to discontinue this line in
October, 1963. The one years delay is to allow federal defense auth­
orities time to remove equipment from a depot served by the branch.
Recent passine; visitor in Montreal was interurban car 434 of the
Chica80, Aurora & ~lgin Railway, whose line was abandoned some years
ago, but whose equipment was only disposed of in recent months. The
unit was en route from Chicago to Portland via Canadian National -Grand
Trunk, and was accompanied by ~~. Frank Brigham of the New
England Electric Railway Historical SOCiety to ~hose museum at
Kennebunkport, Me., the car is conSigned. The car was handled through
lIontreal Yard on December 4th.
Normally, we do not make a practice of inserting personal
requests or solicitations in Canadian Rail, but the rather
unfortunate case of Mr. John B. Hungerford of 6951 Reseda
Blvd., Reseda, California, U.S.A., is one of a few exceptions
1clhich we feel constrained to permit from time to time,. This
gentleman attended the October 13th 1962 excursion using CNR
5107 to Sherbrooke, coming all the way from California for
the purpose. Unfortunately, through technical difficulties,
none of his photographs were successful, and he has asked if
any members have extra original 35~1J. colour slides which
they may wish to dispose of. If any of our readers are in a
position to assist ~~. Hungerford, we ask them to write dir­
ect to him at the address above.
Page 218 Canadian Rail
••• by F .A. Kemp
The principal changes In Canadian Railways passenger services
this Autumn have been made on the Canadian National so this will
be dealt with first, leaving changes on the Canadian Pacific for a
subsequent issue. CN has made some additions and, as expected,
some reductions in its passenger services, but we will give the
good news first.
New trains: Expanded Railiner service will begin in the
Moncton-Halifax-Sydney area on December 31st. Moncton-Truro trains
609-610 will be extended to Halifax and Sydney-Truro trains 603-604
will also run to Halifax under numbers 607 and 608. However, the
Halifax -Montreal sleeping car in Train 59 will run from Monoton
only after Deoember 30th.
The principal change in passenger trains has been the exten­
sion of Trains 49 and 50 The Northland to Hearst, with through
coaoh and sleeping car service from Toronto. The Ontario Northland
cafe-lounge car, whioh formerly ran between Englehart and Timmins
is now taken through to Hearst. Timmins passengers must now have
breakfast before 7:17 a.m. when No. 49 arrives at Porquis. No. 49
still goes to Timmins, the Hearst portion being numbered 149 Por­
quis to Cochrane, then reverting to number 49 for its trip to
Hearst on CN trackage. A Similar evolution occurs with Train 50,
whioh becomes 150 between Cochrane and Porquis. This arrangement
replaoes a Cochrane-Kapuskasing bus servioe which supplanted motor
trains several years ago. Former trains 146-147 which connected
with 46-47 for Toronto and 11-12 for Montreal and Quebec, but had
no through cars, have been replaced by a Cochrane-Hearst bus ser­
Other additions include the extension of Toronto -Stratford
trains 28 and 37 to London, but at the price of most of its inter­
mediate stops. A new train 177-178 carries sleeping car passengers
only between Saskatoon and Edmonton via Wainwright, with no inter­
mediate stops. Trains 67-70 and 68-69 between Edmundston and Levis
have been re-established, but only tWice-weekly. (Tuesday and
Saturday eastbound, Sunday and Tuesday westbound.) Through sleep­
ers are carried to and from Montreal via Trains 1 and 2.
The additions to the schedules are far overbalanced by the
deletions and reductions therefrom, I shall first list the lines
on which passenger service was discontinued, then work through the
timetable to show reductions in service,
The abandonment of the St. Jerome -Lao Remi line in May has
been reported previously. Week-end passenger trains 92, 93, 99,
and 100 struggled on through June on their Montreal -St. Jerome
runs, were replaced br, unadvertised mixed trains in July, and the
line finally became Freight Service Only, Other cutbacks have
involved lines in Saskatohewan: North-Regina-Canora, Sturgis-Swan
River, Delisle-Beeohy and Biggar-Hemaruka (Alta.).
Canadian Rail Page 219
Trains withdrawn are as follows. All trains were mixed:
297-298 twice-weekly North Regina-Melville
279-280 tri-weekly !4elville-Canora
257-258 tri-weekly Canora, Sask.-Swan River, Man. via
Sturgis, Sask.
201-202 tri-weekly Saskatoon-Beechy
257-258 twice-weekly Biggar-Loverna
267-268 Friday only Loverna, Sask.-Hemaruka, Alta.
The service reductions begin right in Table 1, where Trains 1
and 2 The Caribou have reverted to tri-weekly operation after
several years of daily or six-days-weekly operation. Mixed trains
203 and 204 now run daily instead of six days a week, St. Johns­
Port aux Basques, Nfld. Coastal steamer services are no longer
shown in the railway timetables. Moving to Nova Scotia, Halifax­
Yarmouth mixed trains 285-286 have been reduced to tri-weekly oper­
ation. Winter mixed trains in Prince Edward Island will begin
operation December 15. The Elmira branch will be served by a tri­
weekly train which will make the trip on the return from Souris to
Charlottetown. The tri-weekly Moncton-Edmundston service has lost
its Railiners and reverted to the former numbers and rather incon­
venient schedules. Table 34 is marked by the withdrawal of Mont­
real-Garneau day trains 109, 110, 119, and 120.
On the Toronto-Niagara Falls line, the through railiner ser­
vices begun on June 24 were maintained, but the Niagara Falls­
Dundas connection with train 5 was discontinued except on Sunday.
Train 88 is still not shown in public schedules, although it prob­
ably continues to operate. Hamilton connections with trains 5, 6,
16, and 17 are made by bus to Dundas.
Port Arthur-Winnipeg overnight trains 33 and 34 (Table 60)
have been converted to day trains and reduced to tri-weekly oper­
The most considerable cutback in the entire schedule has
resulted in trains 3 and 4 The Continental running between Mont­
real and Saskatoon only. Connecting sleeper trains 177 and 178
prolong them to Edmonton, and Regina-Saskatoon Railiners 621-622
have been extended to North Battleford to replace this portion of
3 and 4. Weekly mixed trains between Foleyet and Hornepayne, and
Nakina and Armstrong have been discontinued, and the tri-weekly
Capreol-Foleyet mixed reduced to two days a week. The Swan River­
Hudson Bay mixed was also reduced to twice-weekly.
On the Prince Rupert line, the except-Sunday trains 195-196
have been supplanted by tri-weekly Railiners between Prince George
and Prince Rupert. The conventional sleeper trains continue be­
tlleen Jasper and Prince George.
senger service between Hearst and Sault Ste. Marie has been reduced
to four trips weekly.
PACIFIC GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY: Daily service has apparently
been restored between Prince George and Chetwynd, B,C. with bus
service to Dawson Creek. During the summer, this train ran three
times weekly.
MERRY CHRISTMAS Doug Wright -Montreal Star
Next year well have a simple tinplate oval and maybe well see a
few oash oustomers instead of a solid wall of oonnoisseurs!
Esla6/isli,J 1932 • :Box 22 Sialioll :B Jvfollireo/ 2 . Qu,6ec • 811corporal,J 1941
CANADIAN RAIL: Published eleven times annually by the Publications
Committee. Canadian Railroad Historical Association.
COMMITTEE: David R. Henderson
Anthony Clegg
William Pharoah
John W. Saunders
Robert Half yard
Orner S.A. Lavallee
Frederick F. Angus
Peter Murphy
Peter Cox. 2936 West 28th Avenue.
Vancouver 8. B.C.
William T. Sharp. Apartment II.
11544 St. Albert Trail. Edmonton, Alta.
At leall 5 weeks before you
move, send us n letter, a card,
or a post-office chungc-of ..
address form lelling U8 both your
OLD and your NEW addrcues.

Demande en ligne